Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Not so Lonely Wilderness

Started by PixelatedGlory, March 23, 2018, 09:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedGlory

There was an uneasy creaking moan as the carved piece of whalebone bent slightly under pressure. It was new enough that Mert didn't fear it would break. Even in this wind his tent should've held up just fine. He spent a lot of time making sure it was well maintained. A few embers were launched into the air as he stirred the coals of his small fire and added some dried peat in preparation for the evening. It had been covered over and smoldering while he was gone for the day.

"We're out of the wind now Deli, time to pick out your dinner," Mert said quietly as he stepped away to start removing his outer layers. At the mention of dinner there was a shift around his neck and what had previously appeared to be a scarf of snow white fur leaped from his neck and revealed itself to be a large ermine. She shook her fur out and chittered happily back at Mert before bounding off towards a leather sack in the corner.

Mert hung up his coat, a mishmash of  so many different types of fur that it was almost comical, and set his boots near the fire to start drying out. The air was be enough for the rest of it but damp boots were downright annoying. A few more layers of fur and leather came off and were hung with care on conveniently arranged pegs lashed to the bone supports of the tent.

A chuckle erupted from Mert's unkempt mess of a beard as he turned to see that Deli had pulled the sack over onto herself and her little arms and legs were flailing as she wiggled free. "I've seen you scare off a wolf, but a sack of food defeats you?" Despite the question he has a smile on his face and he stumbles over to free the ermine. "Well now, were you hoping to get the last of the salmon before I could get to it? Little scamp. Tell you what, I will give you most of it and use the rest for my soup."

Mert rummaged around in his sack and produced the smoked fish, breaking off a third for himself and handing the rest to his companion. As she happily nibbled away he filled a small pot with water, a few vegetables, the dried salmon, and a few other hunks of meat from the bag. He planned to be camped there for a few days, so the soup wouldn't be wasted. He decided to wait until after dinner to go hang his bag of food up in the trees.

The soup bubbled and the aroma wafted out of the vent in the roof Mert laid back and thought about the traps and snares he had placed earlier that day. The first few nights in a new area were usually the most successful.

DragonSong

Even a timberwolf's fur wasn't quite enough to keep her warm in this weather. Ghost shivered violently as she trudged doggedly forward through the snow and gale.

Why on earth did I think this was a good idea? she asked herself despairingly. Hunters had been growing into more and more of a nuisance down south, after "The Ghost". So heading north for a while had seemed logical.

But it was so damned cold!

Wait- what was that, up ahead? Asta took a few more shaky steps forward, squinting through the driving snow. A- a tent? Oh thank gods, maybe someone would be able to spare some food, or a blanket, or-

Or it could be another hunter.

She hesitated, whining softly to herself. Take a risk, or flee into the snow? Freeze to death or possibly get shot?

At least an arrow would be quicker. Desperate, she staggered forward and gave a quiet, plaintive howl.

Oh, wait. No. That wouldn't work, not out here. A wild wolf knocking at your door? No no, she'd be shot on sight.

With a huffing sigh, she thought, Very well then, and allowed her form to shift to human.

Ohhhhhhh, bad idea! Bad, bad idea!! It was so so so cold! "H-help!" Her voice was weak and raspy from disuse. Bare feet sinking into the snow, arms wrapped around her little naked self, she tried again. "Help, please!"

PixelatedGlory

Mert had set to lounging with his back propped up by a few of the bags of supplies and was just about as close as one could get to sleeping without losing consciousness. A talent he had honed mostly for lying in wait while hunting, but just as effective while waiting for soup to simmer. His breathing and heartbeat slowed but his eyes and ears remained alert.

So it surprised him when his friend reacted to something he didn't hear. Deli's ears perked up and she stood on her hind legs with her neck craning to hear something outside. "Something up? Can't hear nothing over this wind," he whispered. He checked the soup and guessed that it was safe to leave it while he checked things out. He didn't want to burn it or have a fire start, but he knew better than to ignore his friend's senses.

With a grumble, and a matching protest from his stomach, he pulled on his still damp boots and a layer of furs. "You riding or walking?" he asked Deli. She chittered and climbed to nestle herself around his neck, her alert head poking out over his left shoulder. With a chuckle Mert pulled his heavy outer coat on and hung his long knife and hatchet in his belt.

Mert unhooked the flap of his tent and a rush of frigid air blasted its way inside. He quickly stepped out and hooked the flap closed on the outside. His tent was in a small clearing and he had packed snow into a rough circle around it, leaving just enough space for his gear and for him to be able to walk around the tent. The tops of the snowbanks were tipped with various branches and pieces of bone to ward off predators. There was only one safe entrance to the camp and it was blocked off by his sledge, set into the snow on its end.

Mert shielded his face with a gloved hand and gazed out into the snow, trying to see what had alerted his companion. He thought he heard a small voice not far from his camp but he couldn't be certain. Who would be out here in this? I've heard stories about creatures luring hunters away from camp, but if it is some lost soul I better check it out.

Mert pulled the sledge out of the snow and set it aside, pulling out a spear from the snow after his hands were free. He began trudging through the snow, leaning forward against the wind. "Who's there? You a demon?" he called out in a rough but loud voice.

DragonSong

Asta stumbled toward the voice, too cold now to really think clearly. Why why why had she thought this was a good idea?

She was nearly invisible in the snow, at least until she was barely a few steps from the trapper. She was shivering so violently her whole body seemed to almost flicker with the passing snowflakes.

"N-n-n-not a d-demon," she chattered. Her hair was long enough to provide a certain amount of modesty, but with the way the wind was blowing it really wasn't doing her much good. "Puh-please, it's so c-c-c-cold!"

PixelatedGlory

The large man loomed against the blowing snow, with very little in the way of a gap between where his mess of brown hair ended and the furs of his coat began. Except of course for the pure white fur around his neck. Deli had tucked her head back into the warm pocket of Mert's hood.

Mert squinted to see the very pale woman in the dim light of evening, but as she approached he stabbed his spear into the ground and raised his arms in a sign of peace. His deep voice calling to the woman, "Manaia protect me, what're you doin out here? You'll freeze." Seeing no one else around, he groaned and took off his nice warm coat to hand it to the freezing woman. It was much too large for her but he figured it was better than nothing. Good thing I put on the rest of these furs, but we better get back inside soon.

He walked slowly towards the woman holding the hooded coat out and turned his head to respectfully face away as snow accumulated on his hair and beard, "Take this for a start, don't mind the smell. I could maybe carry you if you want."

Even as Mert looked away from the woman, a small white head peeked out from around his neck and trained her beady eyes on the strange looking woman to carefully watch her every movement.

DragonSong

"Oh, th-thank you, th-th-thank you." Thank gods, her gamble seemed to have paid off. Her bare feet were near to screaming with pain at the biting cold by now as she stumbled forward and took the offered coat, wrapping it around herself securely.

Better. Better, but she was still cold. "I-I can w-w-walk," she assured the stranger as she staggered forward another few steps.

Gods what she wouldn't give for a think coat of fur right now, her own coat. But she'd played this particular hand as a human, so she'd have to stick with the shape. At least for the moment.

PixelatedGlory

The large fur coat smelled like it hadn't been washed in a long time but it was quite warm and it blocked most of the wind.

Mert returned his gaze to the woman after she covered up. "Eh, be stubborn then. I ain't gonna force ya, but I won't be rubbin' your toes neither," he grumbled. If you want toes blacked by frost, fine. Still not convinced you ain't a devil. Barefoot and nude in this snow.

Mert tromped over to his spear and yanked it free of the ground, using the sharp end to point back towards his camp. "Tent's that way, follow my tracks. I'll follow."

While waiting to see if the woman really was able to keep walking on her own Mert dipped his face down slightly to whisper to Deli, "Your eyes are sharper, keep an eye on this one." Deli chirped back in response and continued watching the woman.

DragonSong

Asta nodded and stumbled toward the tent, ducking quickly inside as soon as she could and throwing herself down in front of the fire. She drew her knees up to her chest and snuggled into the coat, pressing her hands and feet as close to the warmth as she could manage.

"Thank you," she breathed, her eyes sliding closed for a moment.

PixelatedGlory

Mert carefully followed the young woman back through the trail of footprints he had left. He was honestly surprised she made it to the tent without trouble. Then again he had no idea how long she had been walking around like that.

When they reached the humble little wall of packed snow he let her go on ahead while he secured the camp and made sure the wind hadn't knocked over anything important. Deli leaped from his shoulders to follow the guest into the tent, wriggling underneath the tent flap as it was pulled closed behind the woman. Deli climbed on top of the sack of food and sat there watching.

Outside, Mert set the spear aside and slammed the frame of the sledge back in place to block the gap in the wall. A few of the shorter spikes had shifted in the wind and he fixed them while he was out there. He finally placed the spear back where he grabbed it from earlier and stepped inside his tent.

After securely buttoning the flap closed on the tent he once more removed his damp boots and hung his furs up to dry. They weren't meant to be worn as an outer layer but they would be ok. He used his fingers to comb his hair and beard so they were blocking less of his face. Drips of water were flung off his fingertips as he shook them dry.

When he was down to his very plain pants and woolen shirt he leaned over to the fire and checked on the soup, letting the smell of food fill the tent once more. He sat on the other side of the metal container holding the fire and soup pot. It wasn't a very large fire, but it was enough to heat the tent well and cook the food.

Mert sat quietly for a minute as he stirred the pot of soup and then turned to rummage around in one of his bags. He produced two small tin cups and dipped one into the pot to fill it with hot soup, offering it to Asta. "Here, this will warm you up. Careful, it's hot."

DragonSong

"Thanks," she murmured again, taking the offered cup and just holding it for a moment, letting the warmth seep into her hands. She eyed the man over the edge of it as she took a sip.

It was hot, but the scalding stew was exactly what she needed, nearly burning her throat as she swallowed though she didn't care.

Her eyes lit on the white furred creature watching her and she tilted her head at her. "Hello." Unfortunately, in her human form, her communication with animals was limited. She could speak with creatures in a similar shape to the one she wore, so she didn't currently share a language with the...was she a martin?

PixelatedGlory

"Can't have you dyin on me 'fore I even know your name," Mert grunted as he filled his own cup of soup. He held it for a bit to let it cool off some, raising his eyebrow when the woman began swallowing the contents of her cup while it was still too hot.

He took a sip from his cup and then set it down. "Don't know why you were out there, but you're welcome to stay until it calms down a bit." Gesturing around the tent he added, "It's not much but its warm and dry."

The creature tilted her head and chittered at the woman when she addressed it. The creature was more similar in size to a martin than a stoat but with sleeker fur and shorter legs. Her whiskers twitched and she eyed the woman but seemed too wary to approach.

Mert gave a low rumbling laugh, "That there is Deli. Cause trouble and she'll know it. But the little scamp has one weakness." He picked a small piece of meat out of his cup and tossed it to Deli. Deli narrowed her eyes at Mert's laughter but caught it in her little paws and nibbled at the edges while her gaze returned to the guest.

DragonSong

"Hello, Deli." She smiled at the creature and waved slightly. "I'm called Gho- Asta. My name is Asta," she corrected herself mid-sentence, looking back to the trapper.

"What should I call you then?"

PixelatedGlory

Deli took a break from eating, a rare feat indeed. She nodded back at Asta and chittered happily before returning to her food.

Mert raised an eyebrow as the woman corrected herself, but stood and walked closer to offer a warm hand in greeting, "Ah, pardon my rudeness. Been a while since I talked to anyone 'cept Deli here. I'm Mert Shalt."

He noticed her trying her best to warm up and despite his scraggly beard and messy hair his eyes looked distinctly soft and friendly. "Keep the coat for tonight and use my bed," he pointed towards one side of the tent where a few layers of furs were piled up and one larger blanket was laying, somewhat folded. "Can't do much for your privacy, but I'll do what I can."

DragonSong

Wats shook her head quickly. "No please, you've done so much for me already, I wouldn't dream of taking your bed," she said hurriedly, shrinking deeper into the coat as she tried to wave his offer off.

PixelatedGlory

Well I offered. Acts almost like a skittish animal. "Suit yourself then. You're warm, you're fed, and you're safe. Want to be uncomfortable? That's your business," Mert grumbled and sat back down to finish his now cooling meal.

Annoyed that his cup had cooled too much, he frowned and drained the rest with a gulp before filling it a second time with a fresh helping. The wind took the opportunity to interrupt with a strong gust that made the bone supports groan and creak again. Mert seemed unconcerned and grew perhaps a little sleepy as the dinner went on.

Mert waited until Asta had finished her cup before offering her seconds and asking, "So where were you headed?" I'd ask where you came from but...a woman running around naked? Probably something best not relived.

DragonSong

"I, um...I'm not really sure," Asta admitted sheepishly after a moment of consideration. "My home was- it wasn't safe anymore, so I started traveling north."

She shrugged and downed the rest of the offered meal quickly. "I thought perhaps Hyoite...but I've never actually been there, and I'm..." She pursed her lips and flicked her eyes down. "I'm not all that used to- well. Dealing with people."

PixelatedGlory

As Asta spoke, Mert moved the pot of food onto a rock that had been dragged inside the tent to let it cool. He picked up a few small pieces of dried peat and tossed them in to renew the flames a bit more. He did not move to take the cup from Asta.

"Picked a hell of a time to come north then, most of us keep to the villages in winter," he shrugged, "Not that i'm to judge, its quieter out here. Ain't much for being with too many people myself." As if to prove his lack of social skills, he chewed at a fingernail that had grown a little too long.

Mert then leaned back against his makeshift chair of bags to warm his wool-covered feet by the fire. "Hyoite's at least a week's trip from here in good weather. I can't just let you go off and freeze to death." Trouble enough sleeping without worrying about you too, he didn't add.

As Mert paused to think about the situation Deli finished her food, hopped down and slowly approached Asta. Her whiskers twitched as she sniffed curiously at the woman. The furry animal was still wary and the woman didn't smell normal, but Asta didn't seem to be threatening at the moment.

While Deli approached, Mert had come to a decision. "I got trap lines out here that need to be tended to. If you'll wait a few days, the storm'll be gone and I should be ready to head back to Foxtail- it's little under a day's travel from here. You can borrow some spare kit from me til we get there."

DragonSong

The shapeshifter smiled as Deli approached, and held out her hand to be sniffed. "I'm really not all that scary, I promise," she murmured with a small smile for the little animal.

At Mert's offer, she lifted her head and blinked, a little taken aback. "I- that's very kind of you, I'd be incredibly grateful," she murmured, eyes slightly wider than normal. "I don't want to inconvenience you though...is there some way I could repay the kindness?"

PixelatedGlory

Deli was horribly torn between two instincts. On one hand this woman smelled faintly like wolf but on the other she wasn't acting like a predator. Mert wasn't worried though, and she normally left the people things to him. In the end she ignored the wolf smell for the time being and rubbed her soft face against the outstretched hand.

As conflicted as Deli was, there was no such turmoil in Mert's mind. He was however a little unsure how to deal with the woman's emotional response to his offer. "Not kindness, necessity. As I say, I won't see you die on my account. Would never be able to face my mum again," he exclaimed, though his pale blue eyes showed great kindness hidden under the roughness.

He did raise one eyebrow and gave a hearty chuckle, "And you said you weren't used to dealing with people. No, up here nothing gets done for free-everything's a barter. I don't know your skills but there is plenty of work to go around. Traps need to be checked and catches dealt with. The fire and food need to be maintained and prepared and snow needs to be melted to fresh water. Minor repairs are constant and we'll need to make adjustments to my spare clothes for you to wear."

He rose up and walked over to stand by the woman, clapping a hand on her shoulder. "Besides, it'll be nice having someone a little more talkative than Deli." He then stuck his tongue out at the little furball and she returned the favor at the exact same time, as if she understood his words.

DragonSong

Asta resisted the urge to shrink back from his touch, and she managed a small smile. Hoping he wouldn't notice just how skittish she was.

She had been scratching at Deli's ears, and she giggled quietly when the little creature stuck her tongue out. "She's awfully smart," she noted with a quick grin up at Mert. A grin that quickly turned into a yawn, which she tried to hide behind a hand.

"Um, sorry. I think I should be getting to sleep, if that's alright..."

Tags: