Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Are You Not Entertained {DragonSong!}

Started by HeartOfFlame, October 12, 2018, 05:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeartOfFlame

Aurelio was fast, broken bones be damned, but Nathara was faster. In a matter of seconds, she was gone, dodging effortlessly out of his way and darting in behind him once more. He didn't have time to react, breath rushing from his lungs as her arms wrapped around him and descended with that crushing pressure once more. He couldn't breath, couldn't find room in the smothering embrace to draw air through his throat, and rationality left him with the memory of drowning.

He had no air to scream, anger boiling in his veins as dark spots danced through his vision and he struggled, sword arm light and useless, the trusted weapon hanging like a leaden weight from his tingling fingers. His hearing faded, panic snatching away what little oxygen he had left, and he sagged, blade falling from his fingers as he scrabbled weakly at the vice-like hold around his chest, consciousness rapidly slipping.

He couldn't yield...Couldn't let Hassir see him falter, see him fail. Not with Eleodoro's life on the line...

Yet, it appeared, he had little choice in the matter.

DragonSong

As she felt him start to go limp Nathara relaxed her grip slightly, ready to step back so the match could be called once he lost consciousness.

A soft sigh escaped her and she closed her eyes for a brief moment. not letting down her guard, exactly, but simply allowing herself a moment of exhaustion.

"...Sorry."

HeartOfFlame

They called the match. Aurelio was aware of it, even as he sagged, legs buckling under his weight and vision little more than blurred shapes and dust now. The pressure around his middle loosened fractionally and he sucked in a breath, the air burning through his lungs almost as badly as the deprivation of it. He had lost, defeated for the first time in months. Perhaps he had been too arrogant, too sure of himself, had not taken heed from the misfortune of those who had fought this opponent in the past.

It didn't matter now. He had failed. His vision was a lost cause, but he could picture his brother perfectly in his mind's eye, waiting behind the portcullis, trusting and sure. He had only time for a brief apology before his hold on reality fled and he toppled. He was unconscious before he hit the dirt.

DragonSong

"Whoa, steady." Knowing he was unconscious, Nathara nonetheless quickly shifted her grip on her opponent to catch him around the shoulders, lowering him to the ground. He'd already gotten a broken rib or two in this match, gods knew he didn't need a concussion on top of that.

No sooner was he on the ground when the guards had entered, grabbing her arms and shoving her back toward the tunnel out of the arena.

"Match is called, slave. Get back," one said gruffly. Nathara rolled her eyes, but didn't bother to jerk away from his grip.

"Easy," the other guard cautioned his companion. "Her master said to keep her in one piece. Someone made a bid for her during the match."

The snake woman's eyes widened. Someone had what?

HeartOfFlame

The other guard snorted derisively, jerking her forwards by his grip on her arm again. "More fool them. Who'd want something like this in their home?" He sneered. They entered the darkness of the tunnels leading away from the arena, the shadows momentarily consuming after the brightness of the arena outside. A woman stepped before them, seeming to melt from the very shadows, and blocked their path.

"I serve Master Hassir." She announced, her face hidden behind a thin veil and hands folded before her bared chest. "He has made arrangements with your Master to bring you into his servitude. Please, follow me."

DragonSong

Nathara gritted her teeth but kept silent, simply following the familiar path of the tunnels.

Her guards started slightly as the woman appeared, but Nathara merely raised an eyebrow, eyes glowing softly in the dark. This Hassir guy was gonna have to try harder than that if he wanted someone to startle her.

She shrugged, nodding. "As you wish." New master, old master, didn't matter much to her. She stepped toward the woman, then paused, glancing back into the shadows again. She knelt and hissed softly, and the guards jumped again as a massive king cobra slithered his way between their legs and to her open hand, gliding up to wrap around her arm and shoulders, head resting in the crook of her neck.

Nathara turned back to the strange woman. "Lead the way then."

HeartOfFlame

The woman seemed unfazed by the large reptile, simply nodding once and turning on her heel to lead the way through the winding passages. The guards trailed after them at a distance, clearing wanting nothing to do with the snake or its master. Soon enough, they emerged from the tunnels into the light of day once more, with the woman leading them onwards to the raised, covered areas around the arena.

She stepped into one decorated with light drapes and lavish rugs, embroidered cushions littering the floor and the low, padded seat near the edge of the room. She bowed to the side, beckoning Nathara forwards with one hand, and spoke while still bent low. "Master, I have brought you the Gladiator."

Hassir was not a large man in girth, or height but he still cut an imposing figure as he turned away from the large windows overlooking the arena and faced the two women, a wine goblet cradled in one hand. He sized the snake woman up like a lion eyeing a doe, a smile curling at his lips. He stepped forwards, the light, loose fabric of his minimal clothing rustling with the movement.

"A most impressive match." He purred, the voice of a man who knew what he wanted and how to get it, "It has been quite some time since my Champion has been defeated, yet you accomplished it with ease." His eyes raked over her, sizing her up, faltered slightly over the blood marring her side.

"Ezry, fetch bandages and clean clothes for our brave fighter." A smile, surprisingly warm, though tinged by that look of controlled satisfaction, "I would have her rest in comfort."

DragonSong

Nathara held her ground as she was looked over like a sow at auction, Shakah twining lazily around her shoulders.

"I wouldn't go that far," she replied evenly. "Your Champion was anything but easy to defeat. He fought well."

She was leery of his offer to rest in "comfort"; nothing in Essyrn came free, and she had no idea what this man's price would be.

HeartOfFlame

Hassir laughed softly, crossing the room as Ezry ducked back out through the thin drapes and taking a seat on the padded bench. He gestured towards the cushions spread across the floor rug, his eyes tracing the cobra draped around her neck like a piece of jewellery. "Sit, make yourself comfortable. If Aurelio put up as much of a fight as you say, you deserve your rest."

There was a tone of patronise in his voice, whether it was directed at her or his Champion was hard to tell, but he leaned back in his seat, bared arms resting lazing over the back of the bench and feet spread wide. He was comfortably in control of his environment, knew he held the cards, and was evidently confident of the security blanket his guards outside the room provided.

DragonSong

Nathara didn't move. She knew she had little to no power in this situation, but whatever she could scrounge for, she'd grab onto and refuse to let go.

So she stood on her own two feet, head high and shoulders squared despite the blood still leaking sluggishly from her side.  "Why am I here?" Her voice was soft, but with a core of steel, eyes flashing defiantly.

HeartOfFlame

He met her gaze, a little of the smile slipping from his lips, but corners still upturned. He waved a hand towards the arena outside the window, tilting his head in an expression probably meant to look innocent.

"None have defeated my Champion for some time." Hassir said simply, as though that should explain all, "You have me...intrigued." He pulled his hand back, curling it over his knee and placing his wine goblet on the small table at the side of the bench he sat on. "You are something special."

DragonSong

Nathara arched a rather unimpressed eyebrow. "Intrigued? Special?" She snorted softly, stroking Shakah's head. "I'm not sure what you hope me to be, Hassir—" she pointedly used no title— "But I'll not be a bedwarmer, or a fancy prize for you to put on display."

HeartOfFlame

The man smiled in a hungry sort of way, a light in his eyes as he looked her over, leaning forwards over his knees. "Oh, I want no such thing as to waste your talents being a fancy doll, my dear Nathara. No, your skill is in the arena, and that's exactly where I want you to stay."

The ruffle of fabric announced Ezry's return, the veiled woman bowing her head as she reentered the room with a small basket holding medicinal cloths, clean clothes, and a jug of heavily scented oils. Hassir leaned back on his seat, waving a hand. "Get yourself cleaned up, Gladiator."

DragonSong

Her other eyebrow leaped up to join its twin. “Do you expect me to do that with you watching?” she demanded. Shining white eyes narrowed at him dangerously. Shakah  raised his head and flared his hood, tongue flicking out as he tasted the tension in the air.

HeartOfFlame

Hassir laughed, a deep, throaty sound, and waved a hand dismissively, mirth reflected in his every movement. "Do not think me perverted, woman. Ezry, please take Nathara to the other room so she may become respectable in privacy." There was definitely a note of patronism in his voice now, thinly veiled and toned with entertainment as well.

The other woman simply nodded, tucking her basket back under her arm and extending the other towards the opening to the room once again. "This way."

DragonSong

Nathara didn't bother to respond, simply following Ezry into the other room.

"What exactly does your master Hassir want me to wear?" she asked with another quirked eyebrow.

HeartOfFlame

The second room was much like the first, if only less lavishly decorated and without the view of the arena. Ezry regarded Nathara quietly for a moment from behind her veil, not quite wary simply apprehensive. She glanced down at the basket in her hands, kneeling to set it on the rugged floor and lifting the items inside out one at a time. The clothing she produced was simple and light, a pale cream in colour. Plain, baggy trousers fastened at the mid-calf with dull silver bangles, and a loose, semi-transparent shirt tied closed at the shoulder blades.

Ezry set the items to the side after giving Nathara a chance to inspect them, removing the bandages and cleaning oils from the basket next. "Please allow me to tend your wounds."

DragonSong

Nathara gave the girl a wary look, then eventually nodded her acquiescence. Shakah slid down from her shoulder to curl around her feet sleepily.

"Fine." She shrugged off her shirt and twisted so the slave girl could get at her side.

HeartOfFlame

Ezry worked in relative silence, cleaning the wound with a sharply stinging oil and then producing needle and thread to stitch the wound. It was clear she had done this before, her hands steady and her face set in a grim focus as worked. Halfway through her task, she paused, glancing up, her eyes hidden behind the thready material of her veil.

"Master Aurelio..." She bit her lip, gaze flickering between Nathara's face and the wound she was tending, "He will not take kindly to this change. He may be...hostile, towards you."

DragonSong

The gladiator scoffed quietly, hardly even wincing as the needle pulled at her skin. "He's welcome to be as hostile as he likes. It makes no difference to me."