Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Assassin in a Haystack (Eckhart)

Started by Whim, June 14, 2019, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

A woman with scaly skin drifted near the table, setting down a tray of fried dumplings still glistening with oil. She filled poured a frothy dark stout into their cups.

"They did not leave- Oh! This is nice. It smells absolutely enchanting. Tell the cook thank you." He flashed smiled at the wench, eyes twinkling, as she departed.

"Sorry. No, they did not leave a note. The reason they want him is-" Sage paused. This was the moment to ask, to see what she knew or might've told anyone. He looked to Cody and gave a soft nod.

The dogboy was, daintily as possible, trying to chew the dumplings. Some were stuffed with potato, others pickled cabbage and salted. It wasn't quite working. Licking his chops, Cody edged just a bit closee to Sarah. He could smell liars...

"Tell me what you remember about Basil. He was really small when you left, right? Did his magic even show back then?"

"Sorry! I was just- sorry." A blush rose in the little wizard's pale cheeks until he looked like a strawberry. Maybe it was stupid to get in Eckhart's way with that kid looking so injured. He sullenly marched off to join Griselda and Randal by the pit.

"Hope I didn't mess him up... I really did just want to help..." He mumbled, looking to the young florist and thug for some consolation. "I guess you'll be wanting us to fill this in?"
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah flashed a grin at the waitress, hungrily taking a plate of perogis and setting it in front of her. Picking up a fork, she stuffed one of the dumplings in her mouth. "Basil was... two? Three?" she said after swallowing, wiping her mouth with a napkin. "All I really remember is that Uncle- uh, your dad basically hid him away..." The assassin looked at her plate of food sadly. "I assumed he was in the same boat as-"

The sound of loud chewing caused Sarah to pause, face twisting into a disgusted grimace. She turned to look at the wolfman, one eyebrow raised. "Uh... Could you maybe, y'know... Not do that?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ewan?"

Randal tried lifting one of the larger chunks of cobblestone, gritting his teeth together. "Sometimes- sometimes you just-" He dropped the stone unceremoniously, panting. "-You just gotta let the adults do their job."

Griselda sighed audible. Shaking her head, she picked up the stone effortlessly and threw it into the crater. "Ha!" Randal said, grinning. "See?"

Whim

The same boat as-

As who? Sage paused. A flicker of rage clouding his thoughts. Basil was not ordinary! How could she think that? The young lord took a deep breath, "He's much more than that. Basil can do, well, anything. If you know what to ask for. And he's wonderful, really, just very naive.

"But it doesn't seem like you even knew. So this is a dead end." He gave a heavy sigh, running a hand through his white mane of hair. The dog just gave a nod.

"Uh, sorry! Not used to eatin' these..." Cody's ears flattened. The dog-man wished, very dearly, not be doing this. Even if it was for Basil the entire affair was just humiliating! He plucked a napkin from the table and cleaned his muzzle, trying to be more subtle. "S-sorry."

"So you don't believe me about being grown? Or if you just really enjoy the idea that someone else around here has to be back by dark." Ewan turned to watch Eckhart tend the masked boy. How was he so squeamish about this? The worst possible result would be an extra lung or more ribs. You could get rid of those later! Ugh.

"It doesn't matter. We're the same now. I guess." Working together their scrawny arms managed to lift a single flagstone. Not quite at Griselda's efficiency.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"No, I didn't." the assassin affirmed, shaking her head. "I... haven't been keeping tabs on any of you."

"Kinda hoped you'd just forget I was here." she added silently.

Sarah gave her cousin a gentle look. "Sorry this turned out to be a waste of time." she said, half a smile beginning to form on her lips. "It's really nice to be able to see you again, though. I mean that."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Will you stay out of his way? You aren't helping!"

"So you expect me to just sit here?"

Belladonna and Porcelina glared at each other angrily, each daring the other to speak. The other Friends had all left Eckhart to tend to the wounded boy in peace, but the dwarven woman had insisted on staying to help. The healer sighed in resignation. "It's fine Bella." he said quietly, gently lifting Pavew's shirt to get a better look at his injury. "I, um, could use an extra pair of hands..."

"Yeah, right." said a voice in his head. "You just don't want her to yell at you."

Porcelina huffed loudly, crossing her arms. "You're just saying that to say it!" she exclaimed angrily. "I know you, Eckhart."

"Then what do you want?" cried the Eckhart, throwing up his hands in confusion. "Either help or don't!"

"Sister says she's going to shiv you if you don't hurry up." Pavew said darkly. "I'd listen to her, she sounds really mad..."

Eckhart and Porcelina exchanged worried glances. "Um..." the healer said. "Why- why don't you start by fetching a bucket of water, okay?"

Whim

"You have nothing to apologize for. And Basil, well, he's special." Sage took took a swig of his beer with a cough. He preferred sweet wines and meads. Zantarian alcohol was too strong and bitter for the young man. "He's like Green Gaelyn. If you remember those old stories. That's why someone might want him." Green Gaelyn was a stock character in Verdan folklore. He was a miserly little goblin and sorcerer who would often test the heroes of various tales with puzzles or tributes. It would always end with him granting a wish or some other wondrous treasure.

"And it was good to see you, too." Sage studied her closely. "I wanted to say that you're welcome to come home, if you want to." Even if Sage was not technically lord he would be eventually. There was little point in questioning or contradicting him because, eventually, he would be getting his way.

There was a midden heap not far from the Blue Orchid. The lizard sometimes pawed through it for scraps. Wagym's Wort was an annual plant, pus colored, and with a rank odor. Its leaves and pollen were harvested to make a calming tea, but the flower had to be discarded before making a horrible stench. Darkhun had developed a taste for them. Four weeks he had watched the store, like the beard-man said, but the dark haired boy was never alone. Never far were the cruel women who beat and taunted Darkhun. Today, after much watching and waiting, Darkhun found his luck.

Two boys with shovels, one with dark-hair and one with none, had ducked behind a building to relieve themselves against a wall. Now was his chance. The lizard crept closer, slinking between the rubble, scales shifting color as he went. People feared Darkhun. To talk to the human child he would need to get close.

"So is Taza okay with me now? She was pretty suspicious when I started. I mean I know Porcelina doesn't like me but I can't figure that one out. What- whoa!" the bald boy whirled in surprise.

"Hello, hello, hello boy who sells flowers. Such nice flowers." Darkhun bared his teeth like the humans do, tongue tasting the air. "They smell so very good. I am Darkhun. And for you I have questions."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah giggled at her cousin's inability to stomach the alchohol. It was just like him to try and play it off as casual like this. She nodded at the reference to Green Gaelyn, remembering the plush goblin she had as a small child. She was about to open her mouth to comment, but what Sage said next caused her to pause.

"Come... home?"

The memories were so strong that Sarah could almost smell them. The pine forests surrounding the manor, her aunt's diamond garden, Juniper's deviled eggs, her mother's perfume...

Sarah shook her head. "Sage, I appreciate it- really, I do, but..." She glanced sideways. "This is home for me now."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Stones were heavy- much heavier than the potted plants Randal was used to carrying. Sweat rolled down his forehead as he carried a large chunk of basalt towards the pile, grunting in annoyance. "I... I think you're fine now." he panted, setting down the boulder so as to catch his breath. "It's... it's you gotta- AH!"

Hearing a voice, Randal spun around to see a terrible-looking lizardman approaching them. He looked familiar somehow, though the boy wasn't sure where he'd seen him before. "Um..." Randal looked at Ewan for help. "The shop isn't open on weekends..."

Whim

"Well, it shouldn't have been your home. It was a mistake to send you away." Sage whipped some of the foam from his chin and throat. "But I know your life's here now. I just wanted to know you can come back, if you want, I know it won't ever be the same.

"I don't think either of us will be hiding in the diamond garden anytime soon." There used to be lavish parties on summer nights, children ducking and weaving through the brush catching fireflies. Now it was very quiet and empty. A sad smile crossed his face and he stood up, hand still on the table, as if debating whether to stay or go.

"We'll be staying here a few more days. There is one last lead here I want to follow."

"No, no, no. Darkhun takes the old flowers. Very good. Very tasty. Very delicious." The lizard hunched forward, making himself big, in order to corral the boys into a corner. Stalking and ambushing prey was innate to his kind. "Darkhun has questions!

"You have a little friend. A pale boy. Red hair. Painted with magic. He is lost and far from his master. He must go home."

Ewan gave Randal a look and positioned himself between the two. Clutched his shovel like a spear, shaking and white-knuckled, the gangly boy peered upwards. He was still grown and ought to protect the kid. Maybe it was a mistake to keep his body this way. The mutagen he kept for emergencies was gone and there was nothing to do but buy time. "Well neither of us have got red hair or tattoos. S-see?" Good thing Tiffany had removed them.

The lizard snorted, spraying them with hot breath and spittle, probing the air with his tongue. "You are fearful. Slippery. Darkhun has seen you and the boy in your shop. Where? Where does he go?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah looked her food solomnly. She hadn't even gotten a chance to finish it, and her cousin was already leaving. "You're right." she said flatly, poking a perogi with her fork. "It wouldn't be."

The assassin stood up, now locking eyes with the man in front of her. "I want to help. Hildegarde, she has connections to half the people in this city. I'm sure if I asked, she'd be able to make your search much easier..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Randal's fear slowly subsided, eyes narrowing as he studied the lizard man. "I think you're confused, sir." he said firmly, putting on a fake smile. "We don't have any employees who look like that." He put an hand on Ewans shoulder, grip unusually tight. "Come on Rolf, let's ask Taza if there's a shop like that in town!"

If Ewan didn't resist, Randal wold begin to lead him back towards the Friends' boarding house...

Whim

"Well, after that nasty business, I'm not sure she'd want to help." Sage cracked a weak smile. It wasn't the first time they'd gotten in a scuffle on their journey. A good fight was sort of fun besides. The jelly trilled in agreement. A geleatinous skeleton, all that remained of the fish she swallowed, slowly undulated beneath her membranous skin. "In any case we'll be here another day and set off tomorrow. Cody thinks he passed through here but has gone further south."

The youth's gaze lingered on Sara. "It was good to see you again."

The boy stumbled as Randal tugged him along. For a moment he was awash with indignity that being slightly taller made Randal the defacto leader. At least the lizard was cowardly enough not to ambush in broad daylight and the street was only a few paces away. Just a few steps.
Darkhun's small mind raced. Cornering the boy was not hard. Easy. Simple. But how to make him tell the truth? Darkhun did not think of that! With enormous speed the reptile darted into their path, hunched low, tongue flicking. "I taste your lies.

"I see you, you and the boy, in the tunnels. I know this. You. Will. Tell!" 

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"It was nice to see you again."

Sarah's expression was crestfallen for but a moment, quickly shifting to something more adamant. "Sage, no. I can't just let you leave." The woman squeezed her eyes shut, searching for the right words to say. "I can't just... not do anything."

Her voice lowered, and she leaned in closer. "There is a trafficking group on the south end of town. The boss has been... watching them for a while. They might be your guys."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Randal sqeaked in fear, his grip on Ewan tightening as the lizardman blocked their path. "S-stay back!" he stammered, eyes darting as he searched for a way to escape. "I'm warning you, I can- whoah!

A loud thud shook the groud beneath them, nearly causing the young drug dealer to fall over. A shadow fell over them, and Randal looked up to see Griselda was now towering over them. The giant gave the reptillian a quizzical look, as if it was her that he should be directing his questions towards. The boy smiled breathlessly "We're saved..."

Whim

Sage turned to appraise her, expression blank. Why didn't she say earlier? Maybe she didn't care, maybe she was involved, or maybe this was a wild goose chase? - an excuse to be together again or feel she did her part. "Well, come on then. Let's go!" He flashed a smile, looking genuinely happy for the first time in a long time.

Soon Xamuu and Cody were at his side, the big man drinking deep from a wineskin. Sirala bobbed merrily along in her bubble, fishbones visible in her translucent belly.

Dark eyes fell upon Sarah as they walked. "Xamuu wonders why your, 'Boss', seeks these men. There is trade in flesh from the lands of Serendipity to the jungles of Kishahn. And here. Here always."

The lizard's reflexes were well trained. It shrieked and spun away as the bird woman landed, slipping somewhat as a clawed foot landed in manure. It kept low to the ground, one might think it were bowing to grovel, but threads of smoke rose from his nostrils. "Ah! B-big bird! So good to see you, yes, yes, yes! Darkhun was just talking to nice boys. Good boys. Clean and sweep dung so nice."

A look of faint indignity crossed the Ewan's face. He did not need saving. Not from this stupid lizard and not by Griselda. He would swing the shovel and-! And he was shivering too, and squeezing Randal right back. The boy heaved a sigh of relief. "He was trying to scare us! Um, Randal I mean..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah exhaled softly, relaxing her shoulders. Pushing her meal to the side, she stood up to follow her cousin. There was a nostalgic glitter in her eyes- as if this were just another one of the adventures they had been on as kids...

Xamuu's question, however, brought about a pause. Stepping outside the tavern, Sarah placed a finger on her chin. "I dunno." she said finally, as if the thought had never crossed her mind. "Maybe I should ask..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Griselda's eyes narrowed, studying the lizardman carefully. She had seen this creature before, scurrying around the sewers and back alleyways. She had never payed it much attention until now- there was simply no reason to.

"That monster is lying!" squeaked Randal. The boy would hastily pull Ewan behind the Yorieqi woman, before peering out from behind her legs. "He keeps asking about a boy that we don't know!"

Griselda raised her eyebrows, opening her mouth as if to say "aha". She took a single step forward, raising her arm as if to strike...

Whim

Xamuu's dark eyes fell on Sarah, unimpressed. "Yes." he tapped his head slowly, "It is good to understand."

"Well, we know he came through the City, right?" Sage looked to Cody for confirmation. The dog man was busy sniffing at passersby. Already a scales woman bored a hope in him with her eyes for getting too close. Not that Cody could help it. "So there has to be some clue. Speaking of, uh, Hildegarde? How did you meet her anyway. You don't have to talk about her if you don't want to. It's just a long way from home to here..."

To get to the northern district they had to pass through the Bleeder's Way. It was a winding section of the City once rules by a powerful blood mage, designed to be an enormous Ritual Circle. There were few main roads but hundreds of cramped alleys. To get corners Sarah lead them through one of the more desolate routes...

"No! Darkhun sees you! You and the-" Griselda's fist connected with Darkhun. The lizard was sent feeling back and into a jeep of garbage. It was a solid blow. The lizard narrowed his yellow eyes at the woman, frill expanding, fangs bared. And then he lunged with a gout of flame and ash!

"Geddown!" the smaller boy tugged Randal to the side with an ear-splitting shriek. It really wasn't all that much fire, but enough to be scary. It shouldn't be scary. Fire was nothing, his skin could become dragonscale. He could turn a vampire into a quivering mass of fat and flesh if he wanted! How could he be so dumb to get caught unprepared while playing street urchin? Randal could be dead and he was scared enough to piss himself, hiding and shivering behind some stupid mute thug.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Gods, that was forever ago..."

Sarah led the group through the winding alleyway, sliding her hand along the stoney walls as she did so. "So after I, ah... left, I kinda just wandered around looking for work. I eventually ended up at this super fancy restaurant in Ketra, you know that one where the teacup dragons bring you your food? The owner was like, super stingy with pay, but the dragons were totally cute so I was like 'I gotta stay!'"

There was a spring in the girl's step as she walked now, her mind filled with happy memories. "So, like, after a few years of that, Hildegarde just, like, walked in! She talking to that invisible kid about magic and stuff, and I was like 'I have magic too!' And she was just like, 'Cool! You could totally use that for-'"

Sarah paused abruptly, ears perking up. Shouting could be heard on the road ahead- young, frantic voices, followed by a loud crash and a belching noise. The assassin's eyes narrowed, then widened as she realized exactly who the voices belonged to. She abruply charged ahead, bursting out of the alleyway just in time to see Griselda's fist collide with some sort of lizard-person, sending the creature staggering backwards. Randal and Ewan cowered behind the Yorieqi, clearly terrified.

Regaining it's balance, the scaley humanoid charged at her friends, a plume of flame escaping it's mouth. It hadn't noticed Sarah yet, which put her at a distict advantage. The assassin narrowed her eyes, focused on a small area on the creature's neck, and made the cut...

Whim

"Oh I remember that. Didn't you end up getting a dragon after that? Or try to?" I don't think your mother liked animals. Sage had to hold his tongue. He wondered if they wrote letters. He did not like Aunt Sianna very much. Even before all this she was cold and seemed to have little time for Sage, who was rather used to everyone loving him. If things were reversed there would be armies raised, he was quite sure.

"What did you even do there? Did you really take orders and cook and all that? I guess its like that time we the innkeeper caught us nipping ale, and we were too embarrassed to tell him who we were, and ended up mopping the whole floor. You really should have taken a lot more jewels when you left. The fortune is yours too. And-" And then were was a scream and Sarah went charging ahead. Cody's sword was already drawn, and Sage followed.

--

"Skraaahh!" The bird woman's fist slammed into Darkhun's bony chest, sending him reeling back with a screech. It was a solid blow but thick scales and a flexible body shielded his innards from the worst of it. The lizard was angry and scared and confused now. He spread his frill, throat turning red, smoke billowing from his nostrils. She would burn.

But as Darkhun moved to spew forth flame he was struck by a wave of Vertigo. There was no fire. He could not even draw breath. "Cannot... breathe..." Gasping, a smoking hole in his throat, the lizard slumped forward. Dead.

--

When Sage arrived he found Sara with the enormous Yoreiqi with an ugly dragon man at their feet. At their feet was an ugly dragon-man, gasping and sizzling. And to his surprise two grubby urchins, rather familiar at that, had rushed up to Sarah bouncing on their heels. "Thank-you-thank-you-thank you-you-saved-us!"

"That was amazing! Your aim was, like, perfect!" one nudged the lizard with a barefoot, exposing the open wound, clogged with ashy blood. "Ya think he's still flammable?"

Sage looked from the mysteriously dead reptilian, to his cousin, and back. "Your aim's a lot better. Been practicing?" He gave her a hopeful smile, trying his very best to look encouraging and positive. In truth As a teen she was able to burn holes in archery targets but little else. Improved accuracy aside, pinpoint destruction was a pittance of arcana. Not that he'd say anything...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

*BZZZZZT*

The reptillian shrieked and slumped to the ground, blood gushing from his neck. Randal cheered as Sarah emerged from the alleyway, rushing towards her. "Whoah! That was so cool!" he yelled, practically bouncing on his feet. "I never get to see you use your powers!"

Sarah smiled, scratching the back of her head sheepishly. "Aw. It's not that cool..." she giggled, clearly happy with being praised. "Your magic is like, way better!"

Cautiously, the assassin knelt by the fallen creatures neck. Placing a finger to the wound she'd inflicted, she grinned wildly. "Dead!" she exclaimed triumphantly. She looked over to her cousin, who'd just caught up to her. "I practiced for something like this to happen, like, a million times! Normally I use binoculars though, so I was like, super sure I was gonna miss! But look!"

Griselda gave Sarah a thumbs up, eying Sage suspiciously. Randal's eyes widened. "Ewan, it's him again!" he hissed, nudging the redheaded boy's ribs. "Come on, we should leave..."

Whim

"Well I don't think he's gonna hurt us. This was all just an accident. Besides I want to see what this is all about- hey!" Once more he was tugged off down the street and back the Blue Orchid. There was a small lot behind used for composting and drawing wellwater. Joan had always seemed rather annoyed with letting the boys in and out of the Boarding House, so it was a place to rest during the day.

"Do you, um, think Taza's going to be cross?" he added in a small voice. She was not going to take kindly to today's excitement.

Sage just smiled. He was glad to see Sarah happy about her magic. Of course when he used mimicry, even when they were young, he was able to carve an entire ice sculpture. Not a very good one and more of a snowman, mind you. Not that he'd remind her. He  gave his sword a twirl and sheathed it with a flourish, something the young lord had practiced more than he cared to let on. "In any case I suppose we should meet your friend. Hilda? No. Hildegarde.

"You were telling me something about her and slavers before all this happened..." he gave the dead lizard a nudge, watching as the two boys scampered off. "I hadn't meant to frighten those two. Met them on the bridge and they thought I was a robber..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: