Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Beginnings

Started by aikoheiwa, September 04, 2019, 08:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aikoheiwa

"Triplets!"  Dani breathed as soon as she stepped into the pen where the mother had been corralled off from the rest of the herd.  From the shimmer that remained on the lambs and the wobbliness of their legs, she estimated the youngest was no more than an hour old.  Two were nursing while the third lay in the hay, blinking her eyes as if she were trying to understand the strangeness of the world she'd been thrust into.  Dani leaned against the fence next to her father and watched the little quartet. 

"Aye."  Xiran chewed on a piece of straw, the end of it jutting from his mouth, occasionally twisting from one side to another in thoughtful ponderance over the beauty of life, especially new life, and the joy that a birth brought.  Even though the sheep were not pets, they were animals that lived and died with a purpose, there were still moments that, if one stopped to appreciate them, allowed one to see the miraculous. 

"Haven't had a set of triplets for a while."  Dani leaned over the edge, as if to get a closer look, though she stopped short of actually swinging over into the corral.  This was time for the mother and babies to spend together and bond.  At some point, they would rejoin the herd.  For now, it was best they were left to their own devices.

"Nay."  Xiran answered in response.  Dani craned her neck up to peer at her father, a man who was tall, even for an Adelan, and dwarfed all those in his household.  He grinned down at his child, then straightened up.  "Done your chores?"

"Chickens are fed.  I checked Meitle - she's showing signs of early labour.  I suspect Girla and Sissy will likely give birth in the next couple of days."  Spring was a particularly exciting time - the time when ewes gave birth, and hardly a week went by without at least a couple girls adding to the herd.  "Weedin's done, and I bet you're going to get as twice as many tomatoes this year."

"Hope so."  Xiran was not a particularly picky man when it came to food, but he had a particularly fondness for tomatoes - something he and his eldest shared.  "Come, let's check in with your mother." 

Xiran turned to head back toward the house, and Dani fell into step beside him.  It generally took two of her strides to match one of his own, but he always slowed his pace to ensure that she didn't have to rush. 

They were an odd pair, to look at them.  Like many Adelans, particularly those farther south, Xiran was dark.  Dark eyes, dark hair, darker skin.  In contrast, Dani was pale - silvery hair flowed around pale skin, and the pink of her cheeks and lips stood out against it.  Her eyes were as purple as the lavender that grew in the wild fields that flanked the southern part of the road toward Ketra peered out from thick eyelashes that were only a shade darker than her hair.  Where he was shadow, she was light, opposites, and yet beloved by each other.  They were easy companions as they ambled toward the house.

"Got word today."  Xiran commented as he kept to the mild pace.

"Word?  From whom?"  Curiosity gripped the young woman and she canted her head toward her father once more. 

"Tansin."  That was all Xiran needed to say.  Immediately, the sparkle that normally resided in Dani's eyes intensified. 

"Tansin!  Is he coming?"  It had been two years since the trader had made his way through their neck of the woods. 

"Indeed."  Xiran gave his characteristic nod.

"When?"

"Should be here in a fortnight."

"Good."  Tansin had been a friend of the family for years.  First, with her grandparents, then her parents.  Although they only saw him every year or two, the family exchanged messages via swifts trained to send and receive them.  Dani had been running around far too much that morning to even notice that one had arrived.  "Did ma send a message back?"

"Aye."  Once again, Xiran nodded, but that time, it was he who cast a glance toward his daughter.  The excitement in her face wasn't unusual when the news of Tansin visiting was made known - all the children had a fondness for the half elven man.  That particular visit, however, was one that Dani had been waiting on for almost a year.  She had discussed the idea with her parents, and they had agreed - but only on the condition that Tansin agreed.  Word had been sent back that very morning that they had something they wished to discuss,  but it was a discussion to be done in person.  If Dani had her way, and Xiran had a feeling she would, their household would be a lot quieter.  "Come, if we finish early enough, we can see if we can catch any decent fish for supper." 

With that, Dani picked up her pace and began to race toward the house, leaving her father behind.  Xiran simply watched his daughter without increasing his speed, smiling at the way her braid tossed two and fro.  He was in no hurry.  He just wished Dani wasn't either. 

Snarktopus

[ Two weeks later ]

The Spring rain had come and gone in a thankfully brief period, and the traveler was glad for the clear skies once again as he made his way along the well worn path. The traveler -- who went by the name of Tansin -- removed his broad brimmed hat to shake the water from it before replacing it atop his head.

He was on foot, a tall, lone figure, walking with staff in one hand and the reins of his Dugara Bird in the other. The Dugara was a large, flightless avian, standing at about seven feet in height with a large head and beak, and powerful legs with heavy clawed feet. It wore upon its back a large traveling pack and, as was required with Dugara, wore a hood that only allowed the tiniest slits of light to filter through to the eyes. While hooded, the Dugara made for docile and reliable pack animals. With their eyes uncovered, they tended to be much more excitable and longed to run freely and far.

Given that the bulk of Tansin's entire fortune and livelihood was bundled up upon the Dugara's back, he was not inclined to have the bird run off to the hills.

He had been traveling through mostly wooded areas for the past few weeks, but the trees were thinning now, and he was coming to a large valley. Off in the distance, far below, Tansin could see the fields and buildings of a farmstead. He smiled. He knew this place and he knew it well. It had been, well..two years at least since he'd been this way, but he knew the owners well, and was looking forward to seeing them and their children again.

He gave a small tug to the Dugara's reins.

"Come, Sala," he urged gently. "Perhaps we'll arrive in time for Goodwife Hirt's berry pie. Took first honors at the town festival for three years in a row, if I recall. Though, that was two years ago, so perhaps she'll have lengthened that streak to five." He chuckled. "Wouldn't be all surprised to hear it."

Night had begun to fall by the time that Tansin had made his way down to the valley and was approaching the farmstead. He'd produced two lanterns: One hanging from the Dugara's saddle, and the other from the end of his staff.

"Well," Tansin looked back at his traveling "companion" as they approached the heavy wooden door. "Looks like we're here." He reached up and took hold of the heavy metal knocker that hung from the door and brought it down upon the wood once, twice, and then a third time.

The tall traveler then stepped back a bit and removed his hat to await the response from within.

aikoheiwa

A thunder of feet boomed from behind the door, and when it was flung open, a gaggle of faces peered up at the man.  Tansin had been expected, and though the exact day had not been determined as travel wasn't always exact, the children had been expecting his arrival at any time.  From within, the scent of rosemary and garlic wafted into the night air, coupled with the sizzle of meat, freshly pulled from the fire. 

"Ah, you lot!"  Cerelind snapped a towel in the direction of the children and, though no one had been struck, it was enough to make them scatter to the sides so she could get through.  "Tansin!"  Cerelind beamed at the man who had been a friend of the family's for as long as she could remember.  "Ach, you've got that Dugara to tend to.  Xiran and Dani are tending to an ewe with a difficult birth.  Seren."  The boy in question, and the only of the children who had remained at the house that had not accosted the door, looked up, his eyes shadowed beneath long, black hair, though an easy smile spread over his face. Without his mother having to continue, he rose from his seat at the table and strode over and through the door.

"Come on, Tansin, I'll help."  Seren patted the Dugara bird lightly.

"Go on with the both of you.  Dinner's almost ready - the meat just needs a few moment's rest.  No dawdling down."  With a nod, Cerelind scooted the children away, chiding them and assuring them that Tansin would be in momentarily.

"They've been asking non stop when you were going to get here.  I don't think Sifani really knows what all the fuss is about, but she's picked up on the excitement." After all, she'd only been three when Tansin had last visited.  Seren motioned for their visitor to follow and made his way toward the barn. 

Snarktopus

"You are very kind, thank you," Tansin smiled, following the boy to the stables.

Tansin and Seren got the bird tied up for the night and removed its saddlebags. Fresh feed and water was procured, and both Tansin and the boy took up the bird's burden to carry back to the house.

The guest room had been prepared, so they deposited the bags up there. Tansin took a moment to extract a few things from them, including a large sack and his lute in its case, then he went downstairs to the family room to where the rest of the Hirt children were waiting.

"Hello again, my friends," he greeted them cheerfully, but reservedly. He bowed in greetings, then went to address Cerelind.

"It is always pleasure to visit and partake of your hospitality, my dear," he told her. "Your mother would be bursting with pride to see what a fine household you keep, and, judging by the smells from the kitchen, your mastery of her recipes. Did I hear a rumor perhaps that there might be pie in the oven?"

As there was some time still and he'd yet to see Xiran or Dani, Tansin brought out his lute. "Perhaps some music before we eat, to pass the time?"

Tansin arranged himself on a chair, and children crowded around, watching as he carefully tuned the instrument for a few moments. He then touched the strings and began to play. He chose a simple tune, a folk song that was common to the area, the story of a young man enumerating the things that he loved about the girl that he hoped to marry. It was spritely and had an easy refrain, and the older children were singing along with him by the time he was halfway through.

aikoheiwa

The music faded and, as if on cue, the door opened allowing Dani and her father to enter.  Upon seeing their visitor, the last notes of the music quivering into non-existence, Dani's eyes lit up.  "Tansin!  When did you get here?" 

Xiran inclined his head toward the trader as he pulled his shoes off, then nudged Dani to do the same.  Obediently, though with some impatience, she tugged them off of her feet and set them against the wall.

"Good to see you, Tansin."  Xiran commented before Dani could bombard him with a million questions.  "Just in time for food." 

"Girla?"  Cerelind queried, leaving no room for her eldest to insert any comments. 

"Breech lamb.  Once I got the legs out, the rest went smoothly."  Xiran rose from the bench that squatted by the door and crossed over to the table.  "Time to eat."

"Aye, bet you're starvin', and from the looks of it, Tansin, I need to give you a half portion.  You're not taking care of yourself.  Benlan, Marat, stop slapping at each other.  There, off to the other side with you.  No, not you, Ben, you stay here.  Kelador, the plates, Seren, silverware."

A few moments later, the family was crowded and squished together at the table with a spread of roasted hogget, seasoned potatoes, and spring greens.  When the younger children tried to partake, Cerelind chided them and served Tansin first, then her family, clucking her tongue at the heathens in her household.   

Snarktopus

"Tsk, I am just a skinny old man," Tansin chuckled, though he still appeared to be in thirties. "All of these hardworking and growing children doubtless need to eat much more than I do. Though..." He inhaled deeply of the plate of food before him. "I certainly won't be giving this back."

After dinner had been cleared away, Tansin produced something and put it on the table. A bottle of very dark wine, nearly black.

"Date wine from Essyrn," Tansin explained. "Very rich body. Very sweet. An excellent after dinner drink, if I may suggest it."

The wine was poured out, small cups for the adults and Dani, smaller cups for the younger children and a thimble-sized amount for Sifani.

While they all sipped the strong, sweet wine, Tansin had a few other things to share around with the Hirts. For Xiran, a pouch of fine pipegrass, expertly dried and aged. For Cerelind, a bolt of exquisite green cloth. For the children he had brought an assortment of things: Small finely-made belt knives, reed flutes, polished stone marbles, colorful wooden tops. And, of course, edibles like nuts, dried fruits and candies. For Sifani he had a tiny stuffed dragon made of shiny fabric that sparkled like scales.

"Please enjoy these little tokens," he smiled. "It really is a highlight of my journeys to stop here among your home," Tansin told them. "Your hospitality is second to none, and I very much enjoy seeing the children growing into such fine young men and women."

"Speaking of such," Tansin turned his head to regard Dani. "Am I incorrect in remembering that you have a rather significant birthday coming?"

aikoheiwa

Dani's face crinkled up with a mischievous smile.  "I'm surprised you remembered."  She fingered the flute briefly, then placed it back in its pouch so she could pick up Sifani who immediately began to use her older sister as a landing platform for her new dragon.  The dragon made a quick hop to the table, from which Sifani's hand darted out and snatched another candy, then popped it in her mouth before the dragon returned, this time to land on Dani's face.  Gently, Dani guided the dragon to her shoulder and shifted the child to a more comfortable position.  "Day after tomorrow."

Snarktopus

Tansin smiled at the young woman as she juggled her younger sister. "Well, my memory isn't always the best, this true. But you only turn eighteen once, so I've done my best to hang onto the date." He tapped his temple. "Besides, it gives me the perfect reason to impose upon the kind hospitality of your family for a few more days."

--

The night of Dani's actual birthday party was a fairly festive affair. A few of Dani's friends from the village were also present, but, by and large, it consisted mostly of the Hirt family. Tansin was present too, of course.

There was plenty of food to be had, and Tansin provided music throughout. The party was filled with all sorts of merriment that one would expect at such an occasion, and it was clear that Dani's parents were affected by a mix of pride and of sentimentality at their baby being all grown.

When the party hard worn down and the guests had gone to their homes and the younger children had gone to bed, Dani remained up with her parents, watching the fire that had been kindled in the garden slowly burn down to embers.

Tansin approached Dani and her parents and made a greeting bow.

"Miss Dani, truly you have come quite a ways, even in the two years since I've last seen you. You were once a very prodigious child, and now you've become a lovely young woman." He smiled. "I was hoping to find an appropriate gift for your birthday, but I realized that I wasn't certain what sort of thing you'd truly appreciate."

"As you might know," Tansin continued, "I do carry quite a few things with me, so I thought perhaps if you might tell me what sort of gift you'd like, I might see if I had anything suitable."

aikoheiwa

"Actually..."  Dani glanced at her parents who motioned for her to continue.  This was her conversation, her request.  They left it up to her to do the asking.  "I have a specific desire in mind."

She paused and the elf raised his eyebrows, a silent indication that she should continue.  Dani hadn't thought that it would be such a difficult thing to ask, but perhaps the enormity of the request suddenly weighed upon her.  In addition, there was the fear that he would reject it, and she would either have to go alone or, perhaps, with strangers.  "I've talked it over, and...I want to go with you." 

There was no doubt that her request surprised Tansin, and she quickly added on, "Just as far as Ketra and no more.  I...feel like I need to find my place there."  Concerns had been aired by her parents.  There were certain...attitudes that people took, and there was some unease as to how she would be receive.  That didn't deter the young woman.  "Kind of like you did, right?"

Snarktopus

"Well." Tansin said after a bit of a pause. "I do have to admit that's a bit different than I was expecting." He managed a bit of a smile. "I even had a lovely selection of gowns that I'd brought down from Connlaoth, but I now see that I missed that guess." He chuckled. "Serves me right to make assumptions. You think I would have learned that by now, at my age."

The tall half-elf looked to Dani's parents, his eyes briefly searching theirs. He could see that they supported their daughter -- though possibly with some reluctance. Still, she was her own woman now, was she not?

"Well." He said again. He looked back to Dani. He could see resolve in the young woman's face. "I can see you've given this quite a bit of thought. But...if you think that Ketra is where you wish to seek your future, well...there is no reason that I cannot permit you to accompany me there." He raised his eyebrows slightly. "You're certain that's what you want, of course? There's an awful lot to leave behind here." He glanced briefly at her parents, then back to her.

aikoheiwa

Dani gazed over at her parents for a moment.  Yes, there was a lot to leave behind.  While her parents had never hid the fact that she was not related by blood, they had done nothing but love her as she if she had been.  Her siblings, while often annoying, were still dear to her.  She had known nothing but kindness and belonging. 

Yet, there was something calling to her.  Dani couldn't explain what it was.  She just knew that she felt she should go to Ketra.  Perhaps she'd find what she'd was looking for - well, perhaps she'd first figure out what she was looking for.  Despite the uncertainty, Ketra called to her, it's undulating rhythm crossed through the distance to pound with the beating of her heart.  She couldn't ignore it.  "I know."

"But," Xiran interjected, his voice soft, yet somehow filled the entire room with its depth, "We'll always be here - and you will always be able to come back."

Dani smiled as her mother took her hand, then she turned to regard Tansin once more. 

Snarktopus

The next morning was a bit of an emotional affair for the Hirt family, with more than a few sniffles at the breakfast table. Sifani seemed to take it the hardest, clinging to her big sister and openly wailing and offering her various bribes (you can have my shiniest pebbles) if she would stay instead of leaving.

Tansin for his part kept to the background, busying himself with getting his Dugara saddled and packed. He double checked routes and re-checked a few calculations, but mostly he just wanted to keep from interfering in Dani's time with her family.

When they finally stood in front of the farmstead, both wearing their traveling packs, Tansin holding the Dugara's reins, the tall half-elf nodded to the girl.

"I'd ask if you were sure you wanted to do this," he said quietly, "But I can tell that your resolve is sure. I am sure that doesn't make it easier, but the easy choice isn't always the right one."

He lifted his hand for a final wave and then gave the Dugara's reins a tug and started walking.