Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Country Road

Started by aikoheiwa, September 15, 2019, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aikoheiwa

OOC NOTE: This is Snarktopus' post from a previous thread ("Beginnings") to start a new thread. 

IC:

The next morning was a bit of an emotional affair for the Hirt family, with more than a few sniffles at the breakfast table. Sifani seemed to take it the hardest, clinging to her big sister and openly wailing and offering her various bribes (you can have my shiniest pebbles) if she would stay instead of leaving.

Tansin for his part kept to the background, busying himself with getting his Dugara saddled and packed. He double checked routes and re-checked a few calculations, but mostly he just wanted to keep from interfering in Dani's time with her family.

When they finally stood in front of the farmstead, both wearing their traveling packs, Tansin holding the Dugara's reins, the tall half-elf nodded to the girl.

"I'd ask if you were sure you wanted to do this," he said quietly, "But I can tell that your resolve is sure. I am sure that doesn't make it easier, but the easy choice isn't always the right one."

He lifted his hand for a final wave and then gave the Dugara's reins a tug and started walking.

aikoheiwa

Boy had Tansin hit it on the head.  Sifani had come close to breaking Dani's resolve, and even though she knew she needed to go, waving goodbye and turning to walk away had been the most difficult thing she had ever done - except, perhaps, to keep going when she could still hear her sister's sobs. 

Eventually, though, the sobs faded, and though there was an ache in her heart, there was also excitement, and an energy that bolstered each step.  At first, she walked in silence, thoughts swirling through her mind.  After a little over a quarter mile, they settled enough for her to take note of her surroundings.  Early springs of lavender peeked out from the green stalks that would eventually explode in purple on the side of the road as they traversed.  Sadly, Dani realised she would miss them at the height of their glory.  "Was it difficult for you?"  She queried finally, turning her gaze to her chaperone. 

Snarktopus

"Leaving home, you mean?" Tansin considered the question. It was actually a little bit strange for him to have anyone other than his Dugara bird to speak to. The Dugara was a fine listener, but not the most engaging speaker.

"Likely I had an easier time of it," Tansin considered. "For one, I did not have any adoring siblings to miss me. Only my mother and father. I think that they expected me to seek my own fortune at some point, though perhaps my actual departure was a little abrupt. I think that the seeds of my desire to leave home had been germinating for quite some time, and I feel like my parents were aware of it."

"For what it's worth, I have not regretted the decision." The tall half-elf turned to look at his newly acquired traveling companion. "I feel that I have been greatly enriched by my wanderings. I do sometimes regret not visiting home more often. Especially as my mother eventually succumbed to age. I did try to spend more time with her near the end, but..."

Tansin trailed off, not finishing the thought.

"We should probably have a look at the map," he decided, stopping the Dugara and fishing a rolled parchment from a saddlebag. "It is best if we both are aware of our course. Come." He unrolled the map and held it up against the Dugara's flank for viewing.

aikoheiwa

Dani shifted her pack a bit, then moved closer to the elf in order to get a better view of the map.  She hadn't ever looked at it before, or anyone else's.  With the notion that she was going to go with Tansin, she hadn't ever needed to procure one.  At some point, she suspected her parents' had one, but that surely was when they had first moved to Elouera, and they hadn't traveled since. 

The young woman noted the lines, the way it marked the boundaries, the little triangles that she guessed indicated mountains.  Some of the markings made no sense, and she was bout to ask Tansin about them when she noticed in the corner furthest away from her a little box that listed them and their meanings.  Well that was helpful.  After a moment, she pointed to an area where she thought, based upon what she could glean, was their area.  "We're here?"