Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sweet Talk. (DragonSong)

Started by homeboy!, November 19, 2019, 09:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeboy!

Staluk took slow steps through the greenery of a sun-kissed grove. He was a mile or so from the rest of his herd, following directions from a group of humans that had been camping with them for the past few moons. He followed the trail of rocks as he was informed until he reached a small clearing, a spiraling trees surrounding the edges. 'The sweetest star-fruit you'll ever see!' Their assurance rang in his head as he gazed upon the yellow fruit hanging from the branches. That saying made no sense, he saw no sweetness in those trees. Staluk would later be educated on the importance of alliteration.

He approached the nearest tree, a firm hand grasping one of the upper branches, sturdy, like him. His fingers flowed down to the smooth curves of the bark, graceful, like-

A crack in a twig about ten paces behind him, he had been followed. Staluk took a breath, heavy hoofs taking steps away from the tree.

"Reveal yourself." His voice was low, but boomed through the grove like rolling thunder.

DragonSong

"Relax."

Her voice was soft and gently amused as she picked her way delicately from the undergrowth, lips quirked into a small half-smile as she approached, hands raised peaceably. "It's just me," Camellia assured her mate.

Dropping her hands to her sides she glanced around as she stepped toward him, hoof beats surprisingly soft against the earth, making less sound than it really seemed they should have. "You didn't say you were leaving," she murmured, turning her mismatched eyes back to him a little disapprovingly. When she spoke again though, it was clear that it was not disapproval in her voice, but worry.

"You can't just go off like that without telling me, Staluk," she reproached quietly.

homeboy!

A small sigh of relief left him as he realized who had tracked him all this way. His stance relaxed as she made her way towards him. Hearing the concern in her words, a guilty expression formed on his face. “I didn’t mean to..” He trailed off, his taking a moment to meet hers.

A hand rubbed at the back of his neck, eyes moving back to the fruit in the trees. “They were meant to be a gift,” his voice faltered, and his eyes fell to the floor.

“I’m afraid I’m not very good at gestures like this. I’m sorry that I caused you to worry.” He made a horrendously forced smile, trying to maintain what little pride he had left in that moment. His expression was stiff, and brown eyes looked for a way to ease the tension building within him.

DragonSong

Any tension in Camellia's voice or body melted away and she sighed quietly as she closed the distance between them with a few more steps.

"That was very sweet of you," she told her mate softly, reaching up to lay her hand against his cheek for a moment and smiling at him gently. As she drew her hand back her eyes flickered up to the fruit in the branches above them, shining curiously. "What made you think of this?" she asked, taking a step away from him to approach the trunk. Her fingers trailed lightly over the rough bark as she circled the tree.

The dappled light that filtered through the branches threw abstract patterns over her already painted coat, making the patterns of chestnut and cream almost seem to ripple as she moved, and highlighting the handful of scars that decorated her hide--a testament to her people's past, as she would say.

homeboy!

Staluk took a deep sigh, his hand reached up to join hers as she touched his cheek, regaining some of his composure. Part of him felt disappointed that the surprise was ruined, but he was much more pleased when she was around. Of course, the untrained eye would never notice the subtle changes in his demeanor.

"The humans traveling with us told stories of this place," He reached up to pick two ripened fruit from the tree Camellia circled, one notably larger than the other. "Two stars, while travelling the heavens, tripped, and fell to the earth." Staluk reenacted the motions with the fruit in his hands.

"One, embarrassed by it's blunder, grew sour, and rough." He turned over the smaller fruit in his hands. "The other star chose to hold firm, thankful that they did not have to fall alone." His eyes fell upon Camellia, watching as the light danced across her body. A small smile found his face, and he looked back to the fruit in his hands.

"Now, they live in this grove together, deep underground, and their light seeps into the roots of all the trees growing here." He split the larger of the two fruit, making a satisfying noise as it cleanly split in two. Staluk reached out a gentle arm, offering half to Camellia.

"I thought you might like it."

DragonSong

The mare chuckled and twisted her upper body to look at him over her shoulder as she came to a halt beside the tree, watching him move the fruit expressively while he spoke.

She'd always loved it when he told stories. He was normally so stoic, but when he spoke in narration he seemed to relax, almost, allowed his emotions to shine through.

She smiled brightly when he offered her half of the fruit and clopped forward to take it, lifting her half to sniff it curiously before taking a bite. Her eyes fluttered closed as the sweet juice coated her tongue and she hummed in satisfaction. "I do," she assured him when she opened her eyes again, still smiling. "I like it very much. Thank you."

She took another step forward, laying her free hand on his shoulder so she could tilt her head up to peck his cheek gently. "I'm surprised you even listened to the humans, though," she noted as she pulled back, one eyebrow raised. "I was rather under the impression that you weren't entirely happy they'd been camping with the herd."

homeboy!

"Did I make it that obvious?" The statement came with a quirked brow and a sarcastic grin. Staluk took his time in developing opinions on most other creatures he met, but humans came off as unnaturally untrustworthy. His hand moved to rest on her back, the other, to hold his chin in thought, fruit still held.

"I think they're entitled, slow, and frail." The words came with the smallest hint of bitterness, a hand moved from his chin to the scar that ran across his face. He looked to Camellia as he thought more on his words, almost unaware of his staring until he spoke once again.

"More than anything, they get in the way," Staluk's gaze turned towards the path he followed to reach the grove, then to the trees, and finally, back to his mate. He wouldn't have found this place had Camellia not let the humans travel with them, he wouldn't have found this place if he hadn't listened to them.

"But I can't say they're all bad, at least, not these ones."

DragonSong

"You are many things, my love," Camellia said with another soft, wry chuckle, "but I'm not sure subtle has ever been one of them."

Her expression fell slightly when he voiced his opinion about their temporary companions, but her eyes tracked the movement of his hand with a hunter's focus, tracing the scar that carved through his skin with her gaze even as he did it with touch.

She couldn't blame him for his distrust of the two-leggers. Gods knew there were days when she'd wanted to put every last one of them to the pike--there still were those days, if she was honest with herself, but she liked to think she could move passed the rage and hate.

"They're refugees, Staluk, former slaves," she murmured, stepping just a bit closer as his hand came to rest on her back. Her chest brushed his gently and she cocked a hoof so that her front leg bent between his, companionable and at rest. "We didn't expect them to be able to hunt or forage," she reminded him gently.

The humans were a drain on herd resources, but not so much that it became a real problem. They just had to go a little further afield when hunting or collecting food and medicinal plants to make sure they had enough.

"And they'll be gone in a few days. A week at the most," she added. Her lips quirked into a small smile again. "Though I'm glad you've decided they are at least worth the time to listen to."

homeboy!

Staluk seemed to visibly soften as they touched, as she spoke, he slipped another arm around Camellia, holding her close. A soft kiss on her forehead, "Don't rush them on my behalf." Infact, Staluk did not want to rush anything in that moment, he was rather content to stay in the grove for a while, just a little bit longer. So he did.

A few quiet moments were stolen, the gentle sway of leaves as the sun broke through the trees to warm their skin. Questions swam about in his head. Where he was now. Where he ought to be going. Where he would be if he hadn't left the herd- The Herd.

In the distance, the ever calling hum of responsibility sounded, and the stolen moments were due to fade.

"We should return to the herd soon." Staluk spoke softly, a rare occurrence. "They might begin to worry, or worse, they might start to gossip."

DragonSong

Camellia shook her head, her hands coming to rest lightly against his chest. "I'm not. They don't want to stay so close to the edge of the plains, they'll be separating from us when we start heading south again."

It was difficult for a wandering herd to find a place to...well, wander. Raiders and slavers alike roamed the plains, and while the lush valleys and hills of Serendipity and La'marri were bountiful in resources, they were also heavily populated. Camellia had been keeping the herd on the move in a steady, almost migratory circle ever since she came to lead it. Occasional changes were made of course, adaptation was always necessary--but she never wanted to stray too far from the Glade, not if she could help it.

She sighed quietly and nodded in agreement with him, but it took her another moment or two to pull away. When she had, she let her hand drift down to grasp his for a moment, squeezed gently, then finally broke the connection.

"I shudder to think what they may gossip about," she commented blithely as she turned to start heading back through the foliage. "I fear they're getting bored. Ever since Fiorne's foal, there hasn't been all that much to keep their minds off much but survival."

homeboy!

"The two of us sneaking off unannounced? They might think we're making foals of our own." Staluk gave a small chuckle at his own joke as he followed her through the brush.

Staluk had often found himself thinking of how little he found to do these days. He trained the young when they were willing, but that was not as often as he had hoped. Part of the recent lull, he felt, was the scenery. In his day, their herd cut across the land like a knife, seeing new land every moon. Recently though, it hardly felt like they were moving at all. Camellia said it was for the herd's protection, and he trusted that, but..

"Have you ever thought about taking the Herd further south?" He dare not question her in front of the herd, but he wanted to know her thoughts on the matter.

DragonSong

She flushed a bit at that, quite despite herself. For all that she and Staluk had been partners for quite a few seasons now, she’d yet to bare a foal, and she knew it was something their herd would have welcomed gladly. New foals were always good for the herd, of course—but there was a certain expectation from their Lead Mare and Herd Stallion.

She didn’t comment on it though, just tossed him a dry look over her shoulder and picked up her pace into a lazy trot as the broke through the trees into a sloping sort of meadow.

Her head snapped toward him when he spoke again though, mismatched eyes a little wide. “I—“

She had thought about it. Thought about it and dismissed it. Going south to the plains would take them too far from the Glade, from their patron. But...

But he knew that, and he wouldn’t have brought it up without reason. Letting out a long, low sigh, Camellia shook her head slightly. “I’ve...considered it,” she admitted a little stiffly after a moment. “But what would we do? There is nothing left for us there, not really...”

homeboy!

"Is there much left for us here?" Staluk increased his pace so that he was at Camellia's side, his tone wasn't cold, he was trying to pose a genuine question. The Herd was doing alright now, but he felt they may be overstaying their welcome in their travels.

"I'm not saying we abandon the Grove, Camellia, but maybe we should travel a bit further out. If we keep moving like this we can't expect to rebuild. Danger lives in pattern." A hand rested on her shoulder in concern.

He meant not to question Camellia's authority, but, like her, Staluk only wanted what was best for the Herd. The land was beset with those who would hurt them, if he could, Staluk would take an axe to them all, but his mate has assured him time and time again that it wasn't the way they would survive.

"You say we shouldn't drive these poachers out, but we can't just hope that they go away."

DragonSong

Camellia shook her head--not in denial, more as a sort of expression of helplessness and confusion. She couldn't allow the rest of the herd to see her be so indecisive, but with Staluk she allowed her guard to fall, even if only slightly.

"If there were a way I could grow us roots, I would," she murmured, lips a tight line with tension. "A way to convince them all that we should settle. But it is not their nature...nor mine, if I'm being honest."

Their herd had always been nomadic; every centaur she knew was, and they always had been. But Camellia firmly believed that real salvation for the Moonflower Herd would be in finding a new, permanent home. She didn't believe they could do that by going south... But Staluk had a point. They weren't exactly doing it here, either.

"...Maybe I should speak with Lakali," she murmured, almost to herself. It had been months since she'd actually visited the Grove. Perhaps its Guardian might offer her some counsel.

She shook her head with a sharp exhale, and reached up to cover Staluk's hand on her shoulder gently, a silent gesture of gratitude. She knew he didn't always understand or agree with her decisions, but he tried to support her as best he could, and she did cherish him for it. Even if she maybe didn't say so as often as she should.

homeboy!

“Do what you think is best, and the Herd will follow.” Even if it was only the two of them left, Staluk intended to stay by her side. Though Staluk wasn’t entirely keen on settling down, he was a traveled stallion, and knew what a settled life would entail, and the benefits it brought. Adapting to a new lifestyle wouldn’t be too difficult, at least that's what he had hoped.

The mention of visiting the Grove rose Staluk’s brow, he wasn’t very in tune with the more spiritual side of the Herd, to say the least. He had never even met the patron who had set his herd on their current path. He had avoided it in the past, but he now found himself curious to hear what it had to say.

“Do you think I could.. accompany you to the Grove, Camellia?” The question came out rather bluntly, but he felt a sort of duty to at least be there as his mate was counseled on a potentially life altering decision.

DragonSong

That actually drew her up short, eyes a little wide as she looked over at him. "You--you want to?" she blurted out in her surprise, unable to censor herself.

She knew that Staluk was both curious and wary of the Grove, but she'd never thought he'd actually...want to go with her on one of her short pilgrimages.

"I mean...yes, love, of course you can." Lakali had never said she couldn't bring someone with her, after all. And if she was being honest she was excited by the chance to show him the magic of the place that had changed everything.

"We're about four days' travel from here. If we start the herd headed south, we'll pass within a half days' journey to the Grove in...three days?"

homeboy!

Staluk was concerned at her initial surprise, had he overstepped? Eyes looked to his mate in concern.

“Three days sounds doable.” He trailed off, the distance was no problem, but three days gave him too much time to overthink things. His brow already wrinkling in thought at the very idea. A deep breath steadied him, and he set his eyes forward.

They were still a ways away from the herd, though normally content with silent travel, Staluk preferred to not be alone with his thoughts in that moment.

“What’s she like?” The question came out colder than he intended. “The Lady of the Grove, I mean.”

DragonSong

"She is..." Once again Camellia stopped, struggling to find words. "...Almost like us," she murmured eventually, "but--but softer, somehow. And harder. She is both ancient and youthful, and when I first looked into her eyes I saw a compassion so deep and terrible that I felt it would tear my soul apart."

The words left her in a rush. She'd never really spoken with anyone about the specifics of her trips to the Grove before, for all that it had been what provided illumination for their herd's new path.

"I don't think she...really feels things as we do," she continued in a murmur, brow furrowed thoughtfully. "But she is not cold, or callous. It is--it is difficult to describe."

homeboy!

"I can imagine it would be." Staluk didn't do well with the juxtapositions that came with the answer to his question, but he nodded his head and did his best to understand. Magic was a complicated thing.

"Thank you." Simple words to show his gratitude, her answer didn't do much to ease his thoughts, but he appreciated her efforts to describe it for him.

He continued in silence for a while, until murky blobs in the distance began to look like the outlines of their Herd. He looked to the sky, surprised at how low the sun had fallen. They had been away much longer than he had planned.

"We should find a place to camp soon, we can let the herd know we'll be altering course tonight."

DragonSong

Camellia nodded in agreement. “They’ll be glad of the rest, I think. Especially the humans.” Though the herd tended to travel at a relatively sedate pace, it was still difficult for those of a more two-legged persuasion to keep up.

She pursed her lips, thinking. The refugees were trying to avoid the south; in all likelihood, they would separate from the herd tonight or the next morning once it was announced that they were changing course.

She wondered briefly if Staluk had thought of that when he suggested it—but she didn’t believe he was that conniving. It wasn’t in his nature to use subterfuge or manipulation to get what he wanted. He was far more likely to simply tell her what was bothering him straight out, as he had earlier.

“The foals too,” she noted, belatedly. Their herd was still small, a bare shadow of what it had once been, but even aside from Fiorne’s son they had half a dozen other younglings in the group.