Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Theoretical Thrones (Open, PM to join) | Wyrdwood Academy

Started by Hope, May 10, 2020, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope

Info
This is a segue off Wyrdwood Academy, which is open. For more information, see Theoretical Thrones Plotting.

Jaxius woke up to rambunctious hollering.

He rolled over in bed with a grumble, stuffing a pillow over his face to block out the sunlight that was streaming into his dorm. Somewhere in the courtyard, students yelled out as they carried out whatever mischief they had planned for the day.

The first years were dumb, and loud, and Jaxius was not having it.

He threw the covers back and stretched, then sprang out of bed in a surprisingly fluid motion.

DragonSong

"Welcome back to the land of the living."

Brahgo kicked his roommate's blanket--which had been tossed half onto the floor--out of his way as he moved toward the door to their dorm, lacing up the last few ties of his shirt as he walked. He jerked his head toward the window. "They get you too, huh?"

He couldn't say he was thrilled to be awake on one of the few days when he didn't actually have morning classes, but he was never quite as grouchy as Jaxius before noon. "C'mon, we should grab something to eat."

Hope

"One day they'll realize that classes are tiring and boring and they keep you up at night with a load of homework and that sleep is PRECIOUS," Jaxius mumbled as he wandered around his side of the dorm, looking for some clothes. He found a Wyrdwood robe with rips and dirt smeared all over it underneath his bed, gave it a cursory glance, then shrugged and tugged on a clean open-necked shirt instead.

"Ah yes, food. What a pain in the ass." That said, he stepped into some boots and joined Brahgo at the door. "Might as well get it over with. Three times a day, what a waste of time and energy," he continued to rant quietly as they walked towards the dining area.

DragonSong

By this point used to the other boy's griping, Brahgo just grinned and clapped him on the back as they stepped out into the circular common space that linked their dorm to the two neighboring. "Oh, lighten up. If we hurry we can actually get a hot breakfast."

He slipped easily around the chaise pressed up against a back wall--surprisingly easily, perhaps, for someone of his size--and nearly ran over a much smaller personage making her way carefully out from her own room.

"Oh!"

The girl jumped back, wide eyed, and stared up at him. "U-um...sorry..."

Brahgo backpedaled and accidentally bumped into Jaxius, cursing and muttering apologies at the same time. "No--kafvas!--my fault, I didn't--shit, sorry, Jax--"

Hope

Jaxius caught his friend's shoulder, steadying him. "Whoah Brahgo. This place is crowded for the morning." To the girl, he added, "Sorry about this doofus. What's your name?"

DragonSong

Brahgo muttered something in his native tongue that wasn't particularly complimentary, but he straightened up easily enough with Jaxius's help and tried to press back against the wall, making himself smaller.

The girl seemed to have had the same idea, head ducked and shoulders hunched as she looked between them, still wide eyed. "Ah...Laeni." She cleared her throat and tried again, a little louder. "My name's Laeni." She looked back and forth between them again. "Um...Brahgo and...Jax?"

Hope

"Yep, that's us." For someone so grumpy earlier, Jax made an effort to be charismatic, especially as, aided by his life magic, he sensed Laeni's essence playing tug-of-war. Something was bothering her,  weighing her down emotionally, and whatever it was, it seemed to have been bothering her for a long time. Although she obviously wasn't very keen on being outgoing, something about Laeni made Jaxius want to talk to her further.

"We were just heading to breakfast," he told her. It wasn't the most interesting thing in the world, but it would suffice, and it would give him the opportunity to scrutinize her further. "Care to join us?"

DragonSong

"O-oh, um..." Laeni glanced back over her shoulder toward her room, then winced. Yeah. Not going back in there...

"...Okay." She looked back to the two boys and tried to smile. "Thank you."

As though sensing her make the decision to leave the floor, Rey rumbled a soft, growling sort of purr and butted his head against the door to her room so he could slip out to stand beside her, twining around her legs.

She staggered a bit, then caught herself and gave the large cat a scratch between the shoulders, shaking her head. "Ah, this is Rey," she mumbled by way of explanation.

Brahgo was staring at the animal, slightly slack jawed. "Spirits above and below..." What even was that?

Laeni flushed again and the half-orc seemed to catch himself, wincing. He looked to his roommate for help. "Er, I mean. He's...lovely?"

Hope

Jaxius was taken aback momentarily as the grey figure slipped out of Laeni's room. It was a pretty looking cat, though, with gorgeous fur. "Hey Rey," he murmured, crouching down to offer the cat a sniff of his hand.

He glanced back at Brahgo's jumpiness, a little confused by his reaction, but he took the lead on Brahgo's statement. "He really is lovely. What a gorgeous cat you have."

DragonSong

The odd panther--at least he looked more like a panther than anything else in size and shape, if not coloring--blinked at them laconically. Laeni shuffled her feet and cleared her throat. "Ah...thanks. He's...been with me a while. The professor I spoke with said students are allowed to keep their familiars with them, so..."

She shrugged a little helplessly.

Brahgo cocked his head, though he was already stepping around girl and cat to make for the door that led to the winding stairway down to the base of the tower. "Oh, yeah--you're sorta new, aren't you? Must feel odd starting up in the middle of a term."

Laeni's flush deepened and she ducked her head, mumbling something unintelligible.

Hope

"Classes can be kinda hard to pick up," Jaxius added, "but don't worry, this place isn't that bad for an academy." He followed Brahgo to the door, then looked back at Laeni and Rey. "Coming? Better go fast if we want a hot breakfast."

DragonSong

Laeni started a bit, as though she hadn't expected him to actually remember she was there, but nodded as she trailed along behind them. Her hands twisted in her skirts, something like a nervous habit.

"What are you here for, then?" Brahgo asked her over his shoulder. He jerked his chin at Jaxius. "Sunshine here is a...what's the term? Life mage?"

Hope

"Something like that," he agreed, mainly because he wasn't quite sure about his magic yet. Jax was fast learning that everyone's magic is a different experience, and his was more intuition based than most, making it difficult to pinpoint his power.

He began running down the stairs as they talked, a force of habit more than a desire to be fast, but the others had to speed up if they wanted to catch up to him.

DragonSong

"Right, so--oi! So suddenly now you're in a rush?" Brahgo grumbled another few choice orcish curses under his breath as he picked up his pace. With his longer legs, he didn't have to really run to keep up with Jax.

Laeni was clearly not so lucky.

Her familiar beat her to the bottom of the stairs, and the girl came to a staggering halt quite a few steps behind, panting a bit and clearly trying to figure out how to avoid tangling her legs in her skirts and the trailing hem of a pair of robes.

"You're gonna give the new girl a heart attack," Brahgo muttered to his roommate as he glanced back over his shoulder at her, but there wasn't any real heat in his voice.

Hope

Jaxius laughed, a spark in his eyes. "You know me, Brahgo- a run always does me good." And it was true. Whenever he didn't know what to do with his emotions, Jax ran; whenever he was angry at the world, or about to cry, or wanted to hug someone very close to his chest and never let them go. He ran to calm himself, and though he wasn't very athletic, it cleared his mind.

He did feel bad for making Laeni play catch-up, though. The poor thing looked exhausted. "Sorry Laeni," he offered sheepishly.

The smells of all sorts of breakfast foods wafted through the air, and Jax could smell bacon and eggs amongst them. His spirits thoroughly restored by now, he walked towards the buffet-style kitchen with a bounce in his step. "Better make the run pay off, amirite? Let's grab breakfast and get me properly caffeinated. Then I wanna do something fun today. If we were woken up for nothing, I will be very disappointed."

DragonSong

"Oh, um, n-no. It's fine," Laeni muttered quickly, ducking her eyes and flushing again. Her default state seemed to be a slight blush. At her side, Rey rolled his eyes and grumbled low in his chest.

Brahgo snorted. "Alright, my cat is rusty, and he's got a weird accent, but I know enough to know that wasn't very polite," he chuckled. Moving up next to Jax, he swiped a roll the other boy was reaching for with a wink.

Laeni just gaped at him. "You--you can understand him?!"

Brahgo glanced back at her and shrugged. "Sure. Mostly."

Hope

Jaxius glared at the other boy and gave him a light, playful push. "I'm hurt! That roll was destined for me!" With a shake of his head, he loaded up on scrambled eggs, then swiped a cup to fill with coffee as Brahgo translated the cat's low noises. "Brahgo, what's the weirdest cat insult you've ever heard?" he asked, now very interested. 

As they talked, he glanced at the doorway and was unsurprised to find Laeni hanging back. She was quite timid, he thought, even for a newbie. "Well, come on then," he called, "we can't have underfed students here." Rey seemed far more excited about the prospect of food, so Jax tossed the large cat a piece of bacon. But he was already thinking about throwing Laeni for a loop, and maybe bringing her out of that shy shell she hid in all the time.

Absentmindedly, he began planning the afternoon's adventure- did he want sunshine on his back, an exploration around the woods at the back of the school? Or perhaps a sneak into the library, slipping a note into the textbooks? And most importantly, what would get Laeni to come along with them and maybe grow more confident?

Her cat, he decided. Whatever he came up with, Rey would have to agree with it. Surely, gaining the cat's trust would allow Laeni to feel more comfortable around them.

DragonSong

"Weirdest sound, or weirdest translation?" Brahgo replied with a chuckle, bumping his shoulder into Jax's as he looked around for a place to sit.

Rey chuffed, sitting back on his haunches to catch the piece of bacon and swallowing it nearly whole with a deep, satisfied purr. Laeni shot the animal a look of betrayal as he bumped her hip, forcing her to stagger forward after the boys.

"What are you plotting?" Brahgo asked his roommate, glancing between Jax and the girl. He lowered his voice so Laeni and her familiar wouldn't overhear, dropping into a deep rumble. "You've got your scheming face on."

Hope

"Oh, just a little afternoon adventure. I wanna bring Laeni out of her shell a little bit," Jax confided. "But I'll need your help- and Rey's. You can kind of communicate with Rey, right? If you're down, then let him know we're plotting some mischief and see if he has any ideas of his own. Cats tend to know the best hiding places in a castle- and the best people to prank. I'll try and distract Laeni."

They sat down at a table, and Jax turned to Laeni. "We don't get transfers around here often, so I'd like to know more about you, about the world. Care to share some stories?"

DragonSong

The shapeshifter sighed as he took his seat. "Sure, I can do that." He glanced at the girl again, then lowered his voice a bit more and added, "Careful though, yeah? I think you and I both know not everyone comes here under...happy circumstances."

Laeni's skittishness seemed like more than a shy nature to him. Maybe it was part of his magic, his beastspeaking gift--or maybe he'd just gotten good at reading people's tells, growing up the way he had--but something about her struck him like...like a wild animal. Something hunted and afraid. Like a deer you were trying to coax out of the wood with an apple in your hand.

Oblivious to the conversation, Laeni seemed to hesitate a moment, then took a seat across from the two of them. Where else was she supposed to go? She didn't even know any other students' names, really, aside from her roommate.

And honestly, she probably could have done without that.

She snapped her head up like a startled horse and blinked when Jax turned his attention to her. Rey jumped up on the seat beside her and braced his paws on the table, looking around curiously. She hardly noticed. "I, ah--I don't really have any stories?"

She winced. It wasn't exactly a lie, was it?

"I'm...I'm from the Kishahn?" she offered quietly.

Brahgo, who had been introducing himself formally to her familiar, started. He shot Jax a look as if to say, Seriously?!