Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shattered Reflections [M]

Started by MorningStar, January 01, 2024, 04:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorningStar

Observing the woman skillfully tying the rope, Lowen's usual panic in such a situation was replaced by an unexpected sense of relief, courtesy of recent events and revelations.

"I don't have much of an appetite right now," he admitted honestly, his stomach still unsettled from the haunting sight of blood on his blade.

Allowing her to complete the knot, he looked up at her with pleading eyes. "Maybe a bit tighter," he suggested. "I don't want anyone else to get hurt."

wandering_giraffe

Arya already felt guilty enough for tying up an innocent man.
"No, I already feel bad enough."
She stood up from the couch, her eyes apologetic.
"Well, I'll make enough soup for two. I'll keep your portion hot, ok?"
And she started making the soup, strangely quiet, thinking about the dilemma she was in.

MorningStar

Lowen shifted uncomfortably against the binds, his eyes darting around the room. The ropes dug into his wrists, a constant reminder of the precarious situation he found himself in. The ropes were not too tight, but did appear tight enough - which would do for now.

The aroma of Arya's soup wafted through the air, a tempting and distracting fragrance that momentarily drew Lowen's attention away from his predicament. His stomach betrayed him with a low, rumbling growl, echoing the longing for a warmth that transcended the physical constraints that held him captive.

Lowen thought back to her words, "I feel bad enough already," nodded reluctantly, his gaze dropping to the ground. The tendrils of savory steam rose from the kitchen, tempting his senses. He took a deep breath, attempting to steady his nerves. "I understand, Arya. It's just... How long can we keep this up? I need to find a way to rid myself of Ipsen permanently."

Despite his best efforts to remain present in the moment, his mind raced with thoughts of escape, of finding a way to separate himself from Ipsen's influence.

wandering_giraffe

Arya finished making the soup, pouring it into two bowls, and grabbing two spoons from the kitchen drawer.
"It's nothing crazy," she said as she walked back out to the couch.
"It's just chicken noodle soup, but it's a recipe that's been in my family for generations."
She set down the bowls of soup on the small table next to the couch, and then sat down next to Lowen.
"I agree," Arya said, carefully untying Lowen's ropes so he could eat.
"But right now, try to take your mind off of that and eat. I know it's distressing, but I'm here for you. We will get through this."
Arya cautiously stirred her soup, the steam coming off of the top of it indicating that it was still quite hot.
"Careful, the soup is hot."

MorningStar

"Careful, the soup is—"

Before she could finish, Lowen had already devoured his bowl of delicious soup, his impatience evident in the scorching sensation on his tongue. Despite the heat, his stomach reveled in satisfaction, and a warm glow settled within him. "Thanks," he said sheepishly, placing the empty bowl on the table. He then turned his attention to the ropes, preparing for her to secure him once again.

"You mentioned someone we could talk to," he began, curiosity and a hint of hope gleaming in his eyes. "Do you know who that might be?"

wandering_giraffe

"Hot..." Arya finished, raising an eyebrow at him.
She carefully finished hers before also setting her empty bowl down.
She put the section of rope in her pocket.
"I'm not going to tie your wrists unless I'm not watching you. I've got a conscience, you know."
"Well, there's this guy in Ketra...he runs an apothecary but also delves in the dark magics...there are rumors that he might be half demon...but he might be able to help us. He won't report us to the authorities because he himself runs his business on more of the down low side. He's not exactly the friendliest character...considering that I...well..." she shifted alittle uncomfortably in her seat. "Tried to kill him a year ago. But maybe he's forgotten about that."

MorningStar

Had Lowen still been savoring the soup, it would have been an opportune moment for him to spit it all out.

"I'm sorry," he responded slowly, as if grappling to fully comprehend her words. "You tried to do what, exactly?"

A sigh escaped him as he leaned back into the couch, allowing himself to slide down a bit. "I trust you, but," he began once more, "perhaps we shouldn't expose you to any more danger than I've already caused."

wandering_giraffe

"Are you kidding?" Arya leaned forward, her eyes sparkling.
"I live for danger. That's why I'm in this profession. Besides...you're a kind guy. I want to help you."
She smiled and took both of their bowls, standing up and going to the kitchen.

MorningStar

A soft smile played on Lowen's lips at her words. "You're kind too," he replied, the words slipping out almost as a hushed confession. Uncertain whether she caught his words, he decided to shake off his introspection, rising from his seat. The day ahead hinted at peril, and he needed both mental and physical preparation for the journey to rid himself of Ipsen.

A profound sense of gratitude toward Arya lingered within him, a debt he felt incapable of repaying.

"Mind if I freshen up before we head out?" he asked, raising his voice just enough for her to hear from the kitchen.

wandering_giraffe

"Yeah sure! The washroom is just below the loft."
She came back out of the kitchen and grabbed her two daggers and her sword, putting on her belt and waiting by the door.
When Lowen was ready, she opened the door and they left.
"Now I just need to remember where exactly this shop is," Arya said, skipping two dirt roads before turning down a more decrepit, muddy road. The shops along here were definitely more of the shady variety, the signs making you have to squint to read what they said, most covered with mud and some shops liking any sort of sign entirely.
She stopped in front of a nicer building, the window indicating that it was a sweet shop. Arya went around to the side door and stopped, turning to Lowen, her voice dropping to a cautious whisper.
"Now, this fellow, he doesn't have a name...people just call him Vae...but tread carefully. If he attacks me, run back to the cabin, ok? Don't worry about me."
And with that, she opened the side door carefully, one hand holding a very discreet dagger.

MorningStar

As Lowen and Arya strolled along the winding roads towards their destination, an intermittent pain pulsed through his head. Whenever he attempted to share this discomfort with Arya, the ache intensified, momentarily disorienting him. In those fleeting moments, his eyes subtly flashed black, a phenomenon just subtle enough to escape her notice.

"Wait," he said in a hushed tone before entering. "If you're attacked, I-"

The sentence hung unfinished, caught in the tumultuous swirl of panic and an overwhelming desire to protect her that clouded his mind.

wandering_giraffe

Arya quietly entered the small, dimly lit shop, holding the door open for Lowen. "We'll find out what's wrong, I promise."
The heavy, wooden door slammed closed behind them, and she winced.
The shop was full of bottles and vials of miscellaneous sizes, most filled with potions that looked like they'd torture you agonizingly before giving you the mercy of death.
Various animal skins hung on the wall, along with some ivory horns, some very dangerous looking dragon teeth, and even half of a dragon wing.
The ceiling of the store was just as full as the walls were, and if you looked hard enough, there was even a  unicorn horn hanging from the ceiling.
There wasn't a single window in the shop, all of the light coming from a few sparse candles throughout the shop.
Then, a voice rang out, deep, and unsettling.
"Welcome, travelers! What can I do for y—" the voice cut itself off as the owner of the voice came into view, a tall, muscular man, at least 7'5, nothing really out of the ordinary except that he had two maroon horns on top of his head. His green eyes flashed in recognition upon seeing Arya.
"You." He finished, angrily setting down the vial of bubbling black liquid on the counter.
"You!" His voice grew accusatory, as he advanced toward Arya, one hand clenched into a fist.
"You have a lot of nerve, waltzing into my shop," he growled, towering over her and then just noticing Lowen.
He beamed a quick smile at Lowen.
"My anger is not with you, lad. Please, look around, while I deal with this...sorry excuse for a human."
Arya scowled.
"That was a year ago! Can't we just forget it?"
"You tried to kill me!" He practically yelled, his voice shaking the bottles on the shelf.

MorningStar

Well, this was certainly... interesting.

Deciding that Arya mostly had the situation under control, he ordered the tall man a polite nod before letting curiosity to get the better of him.

In the dimly lit store, Lowen's eyes scanned the shelves adorned with peculiar vials and arcane concoctions, each one seemingly holding a secret of its own. He maintained a cautious ear, listening for any signs of trouble from the enigmatic store owner that might endanger Arya. Yet, amidst this vigilant watch, a subtle ache began to gnaw at his head once mark, a dark precursor to Ipsen's emergence.

The pain escalated, and with a blink, his once hazel eyes morphed into an abyss of black, a manifestation of Ipsen's ominous presence. Rather than revealing his takeover, Ipsen veiled his true nature, his back turned to them as he pretended to explore the arcane wares of the store.

wandering_giraffe

"You had a bounty on your head, Vae! Or do you forget?! A very, very large bounty at that. I couldn't resist the offer of 40 gold bars! It's not my fault you ticked off the Connlaothian Grand Duke, is it?"
Vae didn't stop advancing toward her, not stopping until he was in her personal space, leering down at her, a grin on his face.
"You shouldn't have come here, Arya." His voice turned cold, a chill settling over the shop.
"Unlike your kind. I don't forget. I just get even."
And his hand shot out, grabbing the collar of her shirt, lifting her off of her feet.
"Can't you forget like, just this one time? Just for 10 minutes? And then you can try to get even! I just—-I need you to take a look at my friend...there's something wrong with him!" Arya tried to ignore the fact that a half demon had her by the shirt and looked like he was about to kill her.
The man thought about that for a second, his grip loosening on her shirt.
"Fine. You've got 10 minutes."

MorningStar

Ipsen, concealing his true identity beneath the façade of Lowen, deftly perused the store, slyly pocketing items of interest. The commotion behind him drew a malicious grin, a subtle satisfaction at Arya's predicament creeping across his features. Succumbing to the act, he finally spoke, a sinister undertone weaving through his words as he made an effort to mimic Lowen's accent.

"Arya, are you sure we can trust this man?"

wandering_giraffe

Arya angrily shook herself out of the man's grip and exasperated, turned to Lowen.
"He hasn't killed me yet, so that's an improvement."
Vae folded his arms and raised an eyebrow from behind her, but said nothing.
"Well, Lowen, tell him what's going on!"

MorningStar

A sinister grin etched across Ipsen's face as he identified the deadly substance within one of the bottles—a poison so virulent that, if unleashed, it would spread like a relentless plague, snuffing out life in its wake. The lethal concoction had been cunningly concealed, tucked away as if shrouded in secrecy, but Ipsen recognized its malevolent potential all too well.

Seizing the bottle, Ipsen turned around to face them, revealing his malicious black eyes, devoid of remorse. Purposefully careless, he toyed with the deadly concoction, relishing the menace that emanated from his every move. The sinister glint in his eyes mirrored the imminent danger, a silent threat that hung heavily in the air.

"Tell me, old man," Ipsen hissed with a wild smile, "whatcha' got here?"

wandering_giraffe

Arya was completely clueless about whatever the hell was in the bottle.
Vae on the other hand, noticed something amiss...one, Lowen was no longer himself, his eyes now black, and two, Lowen was now holding up a bottle of, essentially, death.
"Put that down!" Vae growled, his horns growing and turning red and black, his green eyes fading to reveal shining amber eyes.
Arya gasped when she saw Ipsen.
"That's what I'm talking about! It's like—-like he's possessed! Or something. What can you do about it?"
One of Vae's hands began to shimmer with a virulent, silvery red hue.
Vae grabbed Arya, forcing her to look at Ipsen.
"Was this part of your plan?" He hissed.
"Unless you want me to snap Arya's neck, you better put that down," Vae warned, one of his hands coming up and closing around Arya's neck.

MorningStar

Observing the man's actions, Ipsen's sinister smile slowly transformed into a ferocious snarl. Whether it was Lowen's emotions bleeding into Ipsen's thoughts or not, the mere sight of him holding Arya threatened to ignite a rage within.

If anyone's going to kill her, it's going to be me.

Taking a deliberate and measured step toward the two, Ipsen skillfully tossed the vial up and down, a display of near-perfect precision. "Easy there, partner," he hissed, closing the distance with another calculated step. "Unless you want me to rip off your horns and shove them up your ass."

Coming to a halt a few feet away, his subtle and mischievous smile returned to his lips. "You know what, you ain't bad," he addressed Vae. "Catch."

Without a moment's hesitation, he launched the vial high into the air, its suspension creating an agonizing sense of eternity.

wandering_giraffe

Arya's mouth went dry with fear when she saw Ipsen holding the vial.
"It-none of this was part of my plan! I swear! I tell you, he just changes!" Then Ipsen tossed the vial up in the air. Vae swore and pushed Arya into Ipsen, lunging for the vial and catching it.
"Are you insane?" Vae yelled.
"You could have annihilated this whole town!"
"I should kill both of you," he snarled.
"But...no...us three are going to have a little chat."