Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Give Me Your Name [MorningStar]

Started by Goldie, January 07, 2024, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

@MorningStar

Fallial was known for fae bloodlines and it reflected heavily in its people both noble and not. It wasn't unusual for the city centers to be filled with a rainbow of different hair colors and even those with more "standard" hair often colored it to blend in. Being Fae was in. It was treasured. It was lauded.

And yet Elowyn still felt singled out at these damned social requirements. Most people were still distance relatives to their fae neighbors and while they clearly resembled them in coloring and being ultimately more lithe than your standard breed of human, Elowyn's direct connection made her just...different. Her cheekbones were higher, face more slender, her eyes were both unfathomably dark and light all at the same time, her hair wasn't wild with color but it shimmered as if with its own life. Compared to her family she was wraith-like in her build and even children's clothing often hung from her.

And people noticed. They always noticed. And that meant she couldn't be invisible. She couldn't just exist. No. She was an artifact. On display. A status symbol for her family that the fae had chosen them. Though, her not-mother didn't exactly feel the same way about it seeing as the fae procreated the same was as humans and she and Elowyn's father had been married at that point...

"That's fascinating." She replied automatically as some nobleman talked her ear off. She'd tuned him out long ago, but still needed to appear to be listening. He was a right proper bore, but he had money and could be a terrific match if you give him a chance - Liliana's voice echoed in her head.

Fat chance. El wouldn't go anywhere with this man.

"Cristorial," she said his name, "I do believe you have other guests to entertain."

He blinked and then nodded vigorously before bowing out and disappearing back into the ballroom to mingle. She should feel bad using her influence on him but...

She didn't. He'd been fool enough to literally give her his name. She wasn't supposed to...it really wasn't nice...but now she could slip into the garden and sit on the ground to see how still she could be and how many critters would come out to join her.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

MorningStar

In the opulent ballroom of Lord Harrington's estate, Kaito seamlessly glided through the crowd, a master of deception. To the untrained eye, his illusion of a handsome suit and sleek mask blended effortlessly with the nobles' extravagant attire, concealing his true identity as he maneuvered through the glittering sea of guests. However, that illusion would only last so long before his fox-like ears and his fire shaded locks became noticeably obvious.

Surveying the room, Kaito identified Lady Harrington, the unsuspecting owner of the prized artifact he intended to liberate. His ulterior motive simmered beneath the charming facade he presented to the guests. As the evening unfolded, Kaito orchestrated an intricate dance of manipulation, each step a calculated move toward his goal.

Spotting the gossip-hungry nobility, he subtly sowed seeds of intrigue. With a knowing smile, he whispered rumors of Lord Harrington's desire to find a suitor for his daughter, igniting conversations that would ripple through the gathering like wildfire. The murmurs spread like a veil of distraction, casting a delightful chaos among the guests.

Kaito, armed with charisma and a playful nature, couldn't resist mingling with the women, his flirtations designed to divert attention from the true purpose of his presence. His laughter echoed through the hall as he wove tales and shared jests, and he even felt himself rather enjoying the company and conversation of one of the servant girls.

In all honesty, Kaito found himself falling in love several times a week – a delightful routine he secretly cherished. It was like having a mental romance gym, where his heart did cardio workouts on various affectionate treadmills. Each week brought new crushes, like changing stations on a romantic radio dial. It might sound a bit silly, but in Kaito's whimsical world, love was a buffet, and he eagerly sampled the flavors life served him.

Shuffling through his pocket, he handed the woman a slip of paper with a note he pre-wrote prior to the party. "Pardon me, love," he said with a low tone and a charming smile. "I must be off, but I wrote you something. Please read it when your shift is over, and when the night sky wears the moon at its pendant, know that I will be waiting at the docks."

——

My Dearest,

In the grand tapestry of life, your presence is the most enchanting thread, weaving elegance and warmth into every moment. Your laughter, a melodious sonnet that dances through the chambers of my heart, and your touch, a script guiding me through the pages of affection, tracing the curves of a love story written in the delicate ink of our connection.

In your eyes, I discover constellations that map out our unique celestial connection. As the curtain falls on this letter, know that you are the protagonist of my heart's narrative, and the silhouette of your figure is the poetry that renders every scene unforgettable.

Yours Adoringly,
K

——

As the woman read and promptly discarded the letter, Kaito seamlessly melded back into the bustling crowd before she had a chance to look up. Utilizing the social whirlwind he had deftly stirred, he masked his intentions, letting the diversion of gossip become his cloak, allowing him to ascend the stairs unnoticed.

Goldie

"El." A warm hand touched her shoulder as the familiar voice of her one friend, Yeleania, broke through the cloud of boredom and single driving desire to escaped into nature. "El, look." She pointed to some over exuberant noble or other flirting with the staff, "Seem odd to you?"

Elowyn shrugged. Frankly, she didn't care. But Yeleania was determined and urged her to continue watching as the same woman crumpled up a piece of paper and throw it away, "You're not the least bit intrigued?"

"No particularly. Though he's certainly handsome enough to catch your eye. Fits your criteria. Is that why you're pointing him out?"

"What?" She gasped as if offended. "Nooooo. I mean, yes, but not the point! He's a guest but he's mingling with servants, not people of our station. I think we have a crasher."

El rolled her eyes, "Or someone with an over active di—"

"Elowyn!!" Yeleania giggled and cut her off, "You're horrible!"

"But not wrong."

"You know what? Fine. He seems to be gone now anyways. I'll go find someone else to stalk." And still giggling she slipped back into the sea of people and immediately found another handsome young man to entertain her.

But where had the flirt gone? It was as if the people swallowed him whole and he had just vanished. Elowyn picked up her many layers of skirts and pushed her way through the crowds until she spotted him.

Why is he climbing the stairs? she thought. That didn't bode well. Either he was a snoop, or she was about to catch him dipping into some other servant girl.

But now she had to follow. And thankfully her slight frame made it easy to slip up after him.

MorningStar

Having stirred a concoction of rumors and excited whispers in the noble's gathering below, Kaito slipped away from the buzzing crowd and ascended the grand staircase. Arriving on the upper floor, he faced a row of ornate doors, behind one of which lay the coveted artifact he sought.

In the quiet hallway, two elegantly dressed women emerged from the facilities, momentarily disrupting his plan. Quick on his feet, Kaito flashed them a charismatic smile, accompanied by a charming bow. "Ladies, you won't believe the news downstairs. I had to escape the commotion for a moment." He gestured dramatically as if to emphasize the overwhelming atmosphere below.

Once they departed, leaving the coast clear, Kaito exhaled deeply, his illusioned appearance melting away like water revealing his true form – a kitsune adorned in fiery red robes, with matching hair and fox-like ears. The transformation seemed to relieve him, much like taking off tight boots after a long day. Now revealed, he focused on pinpointing the room likely to harbor the precious artifact.

"This is the one," he whispered to himself, his senses acting as his guide.

With a subtle twist of the doorknob, he ventured into the private chambers of the Lady and Lord of the estate.

Goldie

She followed a fair distance behind, making sure to wait behind a corner until he passed around another, but each step made her more uneasy. His was the step of someone on a clear mission with words intended to beguile and deceive. She could feel the falsehoods practically dripping from him - another gift from her fae mother.

But what was he after? Not a good time like she had initially deduced, clearly. A thief then? Or perhaps an assassin.

Her palms became sweaty as the thought crossed her mind. She should turn back and rejoin the party and let the owners of the house and hosts of the party deal with him. She should certainly not continue following. That was something someone stupid would do.

Her feet carried her closer and she peered around another corner just in time to see his illusion melt away to reveal his true form and she was forced to throw her hands over her mouth to muffle the gasp of surprise.

All a disguise. All a lie. Everything about him had been a lie. And yet...shouldn't she have been able to see through the illusions? It was a skill most of the fae heritage were granted but not for him.

Before she could stop herself she was standing in the door behind him, one hand gracefully resting on the frame with her head cocked to the side. A few loose curls draped over her bare shoulders to gently kiss the top of her pewter colored silk gown - to bring out her eyes her seamstress had argued.

"Well this is certainly unexpected." She addressed him.

MorningStar

"Well this is certainly unexpected."

His ear gave an involuntary twitch.

A soft voice lingered behind him, a woman's.

"It certainly is," he responded, enveloping himself in a charming smile. Swiftly, he pivoted on his heel, fully intent on facing the source of the voice to gracefully navigate the situation.

And yet..

She was breathtaking. While Kaito found all women stunning, he couldn't help but convince himself that this one was truly exceptional.

The woman who seemed to defy the laws of beauty with her mere presence. Her hair, a celestial cascade of white-blond strands, shimmered like strands of moonlight conspiring to outshine the stars. Dark ember eyes, deep and enchanting, held a captivating mystery that threatened to pull him into an alluring abyss.

Petite yet radiating an undeniable charm, her stature hinted at a compact powerhouse of allure. In the game of aesthetics, she played with an unfair advantage, leaving Kaito feeling like a fumbling amateur in the presence of a seasoned enchantress. The cute factor, seemingly wielded effortlessly, added a touch of endearing whimsy to the overall spectacle, as if the universe had decided to sprinkle a dash of playfulness into its masterpiece of beauty. A sight to behold, leaving Kaito momentarily dazed and more than a bit silly in his awe.

"Pardon me, miss," he smiled bashfully. "It appears I've stumbled upon a charming detour."

With a theatrical flair, he produced a scroll of parchment from his pocket, closing the distance between them. "Though, I am pleased you are here. As I spotted you in the bustling crowd," he fibbed, offering her the parchment with an outstretched hand, "I couldn't resist penning a little something just for you."

The note began as follows:

My Dearest, in the grand tapestry of life ...

Goldie

Elowyn didn't so much as twitch as she held her lazy stance in the doorway. The only inclination that she was actually alive rather than a statue was her pointer finger gently tracing a circle where it rested in the doorframe - her head still cocked to the side.

She stared at the paper in his hand and made no move to take it.

"Lies." Her eyes flicked up from the paper to meet his eyes, "They're practically dripping off of you like you bathed in them."

A light breeze trickled in through the window causing her gown and her hair to flutter gently as she continued to stand there.

"So. Let's try again, shall we?" She held up a finger and made a condescending tutting sound, "No lies. I'll know."

MorningStar

Scaaaary.

Kaito's charming facade began to crumble like a fragile mask as he felt the piercing gaze of the young woman standing across from him. Slowly, he let his arm drop, and with calculated nonchalance, he slid the delicate scroll of paper back into his pocket. The room was now charged with an unspoken tension as he met her gaze.

The sparkle in Kaito's eyes lost its artificial glimmer, replaced by a sharp intensity that hinted at something more mischievous beneath the surface. His feigned charm and etiquette dissolved, revealing a man who was more cunning and composed than he appeared. A sly, playfully guilty grin played on his lips, betraying the secrets he held.

With a voice that now carried a hint of mischief, Kaito leaned in and whispered, "It appears I am busted. I am Kaito Mori, and I'm here to steal the Harrington Artifact for my employer."

Leaning to the side of the wall to match her own composure, Kaito's grin widened as he added, "Now, the real question is, are you going to tell on me, or are you here for the fun too?" His words hung in the air, a tantalizing invitation into his world.

Goldie

"Huh." She looked surprised, "I honestly didn't expect you to be truthful."

She took a step into the room with her hands clasped behind her back while circling slowly and gazing at her surroundings. Unsurprisingly lavish. The entire room was bursting with expensive items from the draperies to the carpets themselves and everything else in between.

That's what the Harrington's were known for, their impeccably good taste. No, their impeccably expensive taste.

It wasn't what El would consider good by any means.

She trailed her finger delicately across the lip of an ornate vase before sliding a single cut bloom from the bouquet it held and spun it gently between her fingers.

"I don't know what I'm going to do yet, Kaito Mori." She liked the taste of his name and wondered if it was actually his real one? She supposed she could try to influence him to find out but that seemed rude.

"But I'm bored and would rather be anywhere than down there so...I suppose you're safe." Her dark eyes flashed up at him with a warning, "for now."

MorningStar

Kaito's demeanor softened briefly, a flicker of appreciation crossing his eyes as he acknowledged what felt as if a temporary truce with the unique woman - that, or she had given him just a little bit more wiggle room in this makeshift hostage situation.

"Appreciated," he nodded slightly.

With meticulous precision, he began the search for the object, adeptly returning items to their original places as if he were never there.

While engrossed in his task, Kaito's voice, smooth and calculated, spoke up again. "And what's your name?"

Goldie

She hummed quietly in thought at his question. He might not realize that giving a name to a fae was a dangerous risk, but she certainly wasn't about to go around throwing hers out to just anyone. And if he learned it elsewhere, it would hold less power than if it was freely given.

Should she say nothing? Or should she lie after just telling him to speak the truth.

"Yaleania." She responded after a few heartbeats, "What exactly are you looking for? I doubt it's trivial or it wouldn't need to be stolen, and most aren't stupid enough to leave something of high value just out and about. How big?"

She reached a bookshelf and started thumbing through some pages of a few books. Sometimes they were hollow and held all sorts of secrets. And...sometimes they were just hiding portraits of naked women as a few fell to the floor out of the last book she had selected.

"Speaking of unexpected..." she picked them off the floor and flicked through them absently, turning it over to see letters written to Lady Harrington, "Even more intriguing...." She muttered.

MorningStar

Though the portraits caught Kaito's eye, a usual delight, he restrained himself from expressing any admiration to avoid potential embarrassment or scorn from the woman.

Continuing his search, he addressed her questions. "Clever girl, Yaleanie," he referred to her by the name she provided, albeit harboring doubts about its authenticity, "it won't be out in the open. However, there should be something that will reveal the true hiding place of the artifact."

Kaito's eyes scanned every corner, searching for any hidden clues or signs. The air hung heavy with anticipation as he approached a bookshelf that seemed ordinary at first glance. Instinct guiding him, he carefully inspected each book, his fingers tracing along the spines.

As he reached for a seemingly nondescript volume, something caught his attention – a slight resistance, a subtle click. The realization dawned upon him, and a spark of excitement ignited in his eyes. Swiftly, Kaito lifted the book from its place, revealing a concealed switch behind it.

With a hushed creak, the bookshelf swung open to unveil a secret passageway.

"Ah, see?" he peered over at the woman with an excited grin. "Quite typical."

Goldie

"Quite uninspired." She retorted while putting the book with the pictures back on the shelf.

"What is this, a haunted mansion? A mystery novel? I thought my au-Lord and Lady Harrington would have a more magical approach to protecting their things." She walked over to stand next to him and peer down the corridor as if whatever they were looking for would be visible right away.

Naturally, that wasn't going to happen.

She was close to him as she looked, hoping he hadn't caught the almost-slip she had just had. If he'd studied the family it might actually give him more information about who she was than she was ready to give. Actually, she was fairly certain after this little heist she'd probably never see him again and would hate for her name to get around as some kind of accomplice if he went bragging.

"You never said what this thing is."

MorningStar

"And I don't intend to just yet," he quipped with a playful tone. "Maybe there's a bit more to this, or maybe you are giving your 'aunt'—I mean, the Noble Lord and Lady—too much credit."

His eyes met hers, a knowing look accompanied by a subtle grin, before he eagerly strolled down the corridor.

"Tag along, my dear," he called back with a mischievous grin, "I'd hate for you to miss the grand reveal and end up getting lost."

Goldie

She mentally berated herself for such a stupid mistake, but denying it now would just make her look more like a fool. So instead she kept her face expressionless. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to say it wasn't her aunt since her mother wasn't really her mother...

But no. It was too late for that.

And then he was off and she found herself in a half-jog to catch up.

"What makes you so sure it's even here? Both in this house and in this corridor?" She asked, her breath coming in a little faster than she would have liked from her dash after him. She didn't even address the getting lost part - that was just laughable at this point.

Maybe.

It really all depended on how windy this secret corridor ended up being. It could also have been spelled but...she'd be able to see through any fae enchantments if they came across any.

MorningStar

"Well, clever girl," he spoke as his lengthy strides carried him through the corridor and deeper underground, "if my intel is accurate, it's here - but knowing for certain wouldn't be any fun, would it?"

Regardless of his words, he was mostly certain. He had intercepted the coded message himself between influential figures, and he did rather enjoy cracking codes. The information had unmistakably guided him to the Harrington Estate, particularly highlighting the Lord's secret chamber. Whether the lady of the household was privy to this secret remained a mystery to Kaito, one he wasn't inclined to solve.

The air was cold underground as he approached an intricately carved door adorned with mysterious symbols.

The first puzzle revealed itself: a series of shifting symbols that seemed to dance and elude understanding. Kaito recognized the art of illusion at play. Unperturbed, he focused on discerning the real symbols from the illusions. With swift and precise gestures, he summoned flickering flames from his fingertips, a method to easily identify the patterns.

However, he decided to extinguish the flame, looking over to his new makeshift accomplice.

"Know anything about puzzles, love?"

Even he found it surprising that an unexpected urge compelled him to.. testthe girl. There was an intriguing quality about her, and he reasoned that if she had intended to turn him in, she likely would have done so already.

Goldie

Elowyn watched intrigued as he stopped before the door. She could tell it had been spelled with illusions, but it was more of a waiver in the air for her than it would be for anyone else. If she squinted, she could see what he must be seeing, but otherwise the door itself looked normal and the symbols were clearly visible.

She raised an eyebrow, "You're in Serendipty. In Fallial where the fae bloodlines run deep. What do you think?" The fae loved their puzzles, loved their riddles, loved the fact that they were able to easily trick outsiders.

And she was more Fae than all of them. She wondered if he had been able to parse that out or just thought she was an odder looking Serenian.

"Symbols." She responded, pointing to the door in six distinct places. "Spelled with illusions to hide them."

She then pointed to four different locations in the hall that would look like normal pieces of brick to him, "Traps. I'm assuming if you answer incorrectly they'll release some kind of gas. But if it will kill you or paralyze you until you're caught, I couldn't say."

She looked around the corridor and frowned, then pointed to what looked like light outlines of human shapes against the wall surrounded by a fine layer of dust...or...powder?

"Actually...I think you're lucky I tagged along. I don't think you can get through this door without a second person."

MorningStar

Kaito's sly smile deepened as he admired the woman's keen sense of illusion and her ability to decipher both the puzzle and traps. However, a hint of pride crept into his expression when she mentioned his luck in having her around. He could have easily used his art of duplication to cast another "Kaito" as a decoy for what lay next, but pride could be a very foolish thing - especially when he aimed to impress the young lady.

Undeterred, he confidently finished the puzzle, anticipating the door to reveal the next level of the underground maze. To no surprise, the door swung open, revealing what appeared to be an even more elaborate maze of mirrors that went further underground.

However, to his unfortunate surprise, a cloud of dust cascaded over him as he ventured into the next room, leaving him perplexed.

"Is that it?" he questioned, the question more for himself than for his company. "That's quite disappointing. Well, let's be off then-"

As he ventured into the next chamber, an unexpected heaviness settled in. The dust, unbeknownst to him, began its subtle yet powerful grip. It first seized his feet, gradually climbing up his legs, until a creeping paralysis reached his neck. Each step became more challenging, and Kaito felt the weight of his own body betraying him in a seemingly inexorable embrace. Soon enough, he could not move, leaving him both helpless and feeling foolish. He was certain he completed the puzzle accurately, but he still walked right into the trap.

"Okay," he breathed as his eyes darted to the woman, a hint of frustration settling into his eyes. "This is uh.. terrible. Got any ideas?"

Goldie

She was there the moment his legs gave way and scooped an arm around to in an attempt to guide him to the floor, while doing her best to avoid breathing in the dust that brushed off of him. It wasn't graceful. She didn't have extra strength or anything and she was only just five feet tall, so it ended up being a rough moment regardless of her help.

"Oh for fucks sake." She muttered, not even caring that the words were unbelievably vulgar and unladylike. The situation called for it.

"Are you always this careless? I was going to offer to open the door. Then when they eventually found me I could feign being a snoop and everything would be all fine and good." She pulled him roughly to the side and did her best to prop him up. Again, not graceful. She looped her hands under his arms and moved him an inch at a time. Comical, really - her in an elegant ballgown helping a thief steal from her family.

What was she doing, really? This was stupid...she should just leave him and go make a report and then get on with her...

Life?

She hated her life.

After he was, maybe, comfortable, she stood and brushed the remaining dust from her skirts and finally allowed herself to take more than a tiny sip of air. So far, so good.

"Wow." She whistled, turning to look at the mirrors for the first time. "I can't carry you through that."

MorningStar

"How was I supposed to know?" he asked genuinely, a touch of frustration in his voice. Peering up at the woman from his cozy little paralysis on the floor, he continued, "I don't even know your real name!"

Releasing an exasperated breath, his gaze shifted towards the hall of mirrors. It was a typical setup, nothing too challenging to navigate. However, he wasn't much good for the job if he couldn't even move.

"Okay. Steady now. Focus on your breathing. Clear your mind. There should be a simple solution to this," he thought to himself. Once he composed himself, he addressed the nameless girl once more, "Perhaps you'd be better off going back up-"

Kaito's sentence was abruptly cut short as the distant wail of an alarm reached his ears, signaling that the jig was up. The echoes of urgency filled the air.

Shit bananas.