Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Give Me Your Name [MorningStar]

Started by Goldie, January 07, 2024, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Maybe it was simply because she needed to be reassured, or maybe it was because he was so completely genuine it made her dizzy, or maybe she was just absolutely losing her mind, but whatever the true reason - or perhaps it was a combination of them all - she didn't pull away when he kissed her forehead. She could feel his sincerity, feel the truth of his words thanks to the fae woman who birthed her. And...perhaps it was silly...but she wanted to live up to that confidence.

No, she didn't want to, she needed to. After all, she was here with him now and needed to be useful or it would all just be a waste. And she refused to be a waste. Not anymore. Her naivety had already landed them in the pockets of the Fae.

"N...ah...yes. Ok, then." She stammered, "but...is there a plan? What exactly are we doing?"
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

MorningStar

"It just so happens," he said confidently, "I do have a plan."

Kaito leaned forward, casting a holographic blueprint of the governor's mansion onto the table in the room. The soft glow flickered, setting the stage for his elaborate explanation.

"Elowyn," he began, his eyes gleaming with a mischievous glint, "imagine this heist as a grand performance, each move choreographed to captivate our audience. This room here," he pointed on the blueprint, "is where we'll meet."

He gestured to the holographic illusions dancing above the blueprint. "First, Illusory Distractions. Mesmerizing displays to distract the guests. Meanwhile, you, my beautiful accomplice, will navigate unseen among them."

A sly grin crossed his face. "You will be our cloak. As you mingle with the guests, Illusory Mimicry will briefly transform you into a familiar face, ensuring you move undetected."

Kaito's fingers traced invisible pathways on the holographic map. "Illusions will mislead the guards. They'll be chasing mirages while you slip through unnoticed."

He looked at Elowyn, his excitement contagious. "As for the guards themselves, Time Distortion will be our secret weapon. I'll use it to make sure their patrols are moving to a different rhythm than us, giving you a known window."

A pause filled the room before Kaito continued, "Finally, in the sultry and sexy woman body I'll change to, I'll charm the Governor himself. Once I have him around my finger, I'll slip a little something into his drink to help him sleep - buying us at least an hour."

Kaito's gaze intensified. "Now, El, if the plan doesn't go perfect, don't be afraid to use your talents. Persuade a guard to take an unscheduled break or convince a guest to vacate a room, all with a simple command. I've seen you do it, I know you can pull it off. Get their names while you mingle in the beginning."

Finally, his eyes softened as he spoke of their end game. "Once we meet in that room, we find the artifact, we liberate it, and we leave."

He leaned back, the holographic blueprint fading away, leaving the room in a charged silence. "So, Elowyn, are you ready to do this?"

Goldie

She listened to his plan with brow furrowed in concentration. Everything was presented in such a flowery and exuberant manner that it was hard to believe any of it was more than a game to him. But she had seen first hand what had happened when his plans went awry...this was dangerous. This whole life was dangerous, and now she had to fully immerse herself.

"I think I should use the necklace." She added, quietly, thoughtfully, "If we get too far away from each other and my face falls...This whole thing could fall apart and I don't want to get caught and have you feel obligated to come to my rescue." She took a deep breath and met his eyes steadily, trying to put as much confidence as she could muster into her gaze, "It worked well enough it tricked you completely."

The last bit was added as if a final selling point.

MorningStar

This disguise is getting itchy.

Kaito's transformation was as dramatic as it was swift, the illusion of his disguise melting away like morning mist to reveal his true form. His fiery red hair cascaded down his shoulders in unruly waves, matching the intensity of his piercing crimson eyes that seemed to dance with an inner flame. His robes, once replaced with the muted hue of the black dress, now blazed with vibrant shades of scarlet and gold.

Ahh. Much better.

As he regarded Elowyn with a playful glint in his eyes, Kaito's lips curved into a curious grin, his fingers absently tracing the contours of his chin as if lost in thought. "Well, El, that's.." he mused, the lilt of amusement evident in his voice. "A great point, actually."

Leaning in closer, Kaito's gaze sparkled with the potential of excitement as he whispered conspiratorially, "But, can you control this charm of yours? Can you bend it to your will, shaping your appearance however you see fit? Or shall we just play a game of chance? Ideally, your disguise will fit in seamlessly with the others."

Goldie

She frowned, that was a particularly not great thing about the necklace...

"I don't know...truly. But, we can always try it and then plan B if it doesn't work? Right?" She closed her eyes and shifted in her newly pantsed body feeling uncomfortable and uncomfortably out of her element.

Mostly, she just didn't want to ruin this. At the end of the day she would be returned to her family but Kaito would be sent to prison...quite possibly worse. Kia, could she do this? Could she really work with a thief who was trying to take on her very own people? What if she knew the governor? What if the illusion fell and they immediately recognized her? She still didn't know where they were.

"Only one way to find out, yes?" She said with a small smile while trying to force joviality despite the inner turmoil she was actually feeling.

And with that, she slipped the necklace around her neck. To Kaito, it would look like a small glimmer and then....she was herself exactly as she had been the night they had just met, complete with the shimmering off-the-shoulder pewter gown and white-silver hair pinned meticulous at the nape of her neck.

"So?"

MorningStar

As Elowyn delicately fastened the necklace around her neck, Kaito's gaze remained fixed on her, his breath caught in his throat as he awaited the transformation. He anticipated a dramatic shift, a complete alteration of her appearance to disguise her true identity. But when she finally stepped back, revealing herself in the shimmering gown, his heart skipped a beat. The fabric draped gracefully over her figure, accentuating her elegance, while her hair, arranged in an intricate updo, framed her delicate features. In that moment, she was the epitome of elegance and beauty, radiating a captivating allure that left him momentarily speechless.

Yet, despite the finery adorning her, she still retained that essence of herself, that unique spark that set her apart from the rest. Kaito found himself entranced by her presence, his admiration for her beauty mingling with a sense of awe at her unwavering authenticity. Clearing his throat, he finally managed to find his voice, though his mind continued to linger on the vision before him. "You look..." he began, his words trailing off as he struggled to find the right expression to convey his thoughts. "Absolutely breathtaking," he finished, shifting his gaze downward to hide the sudden heat in his cheeks.

But why?

As Kaito pondered on it, a sense of bewilderment washed over him. This seemingly ordinary trinket held extraordinary power, capable of transforming her appearance with a mere touch. Yet, with each use, its enchantments seemed to defy logic, leaving him perplexed and questioning the motives of the Fae. Why would they choose to reveal her true form this time, adorning her in the attire she wore the night they met? Was it a deliberate act of mockery, a subtle reminder of their whimsical nature and inscrutable intentions? Or perhaps, he pondered, there was a deeper significance to this choice, a hidden message concealed within the familiar guise she now wore. Whatever the case may be, Kaito couldn't shake the feeling of being toyed with by forces beyond his comprehension.

"So, um, well.. how do I put this?" he finally continued, struggling to find the proper words. "You look like you. That won't work."

Goldie

Elowyn frowned at that. How did this darn necklace even work, then? If she couldn't put it on and just disappear, what was the point? What did the Fae want by giving it to her?

"That's....frustrating." she sighed pressing her fingers delicately to her temples and rubbing small circles in a desperate attempt to ward off the headache that was forming behind her eyes. "I don't know how this works. I don't know if I can control it or if it's just going to have a mind of it's own.

"But how does it work?" She found herself musing outloud, completely forgetting for a moment that Kaito was standing just in front of her as she immersed herself in the puzzle presented. She didn't like not knowing and she certainly wasn't going to put the trinket aside just because she hadn't figured it out yet. If anything, it made her more driven to pull at its secrets like string in a complicated web of knots. If she just pulled at the right one the entire thing would fall apart and she could see how each piece fit together.

Her head snapped up, "I want to try something."

And without so much as a moment's hesitation, she stepped passed Kaito and opened the door to the hallway and began walking towards the front desk.

"Get ready to cover, ok?" she called over her shoulder, "...just in case." She added in a whisper under her breath. This was stupid. She knew it was stupid and dangerous, but...the fae were complicated and complex. They had clearly healed her and helped them so they weren't planning to have her killed anytime soon which meant the necklace had to be a gift, right? Something that would actually help her as she reentered the world full of wanted posters with her face on it. So they gave her a necklace that disguised who she was and that changed, seemingly, on a whim. But what if it wasn't a whim? What if.....

"Is everything alright, sir?" The woman at the front desk asked when Elowyn rounded the corner, "We will have some porridge prepared for our guests in a few minutes. You and your companion can join us down here, or we can bring it up to you."

Well that was certainly interesting! And a positive result to say the least!

She turned to search for Kaito with a big smile spread across her face.

This necklace was more than just a way to hide, it meant freedom.

MorningStar

Kaito breathed into the seamless transformation back into the sultry woman as he followed Elowyn at a cautious distance. Observing the reaction of the desk clerk, he couldn't suppress a chuckle at the bemused expression. "Is everything alright, sir?" the clerk inquired, oblivious to the clandestine switch that had just occurred.

Sir.

It was a curious phenomenon – while Kaito perceived Elowyn, others saw the man from before. But perhaps it wasn't just the man they saw; rather, it was what they expected to see, a skill that may just work perfectly for their heist.

Returning with a radiant smile, Elowyn's joy was infectious, and Kaito couldn't help but mirror her enthusiasm with a broad, goofy grin of his own. "That's incredible!" he whispered excitedly, his voice barely containing his amazement. Without a moment's hesitation, he scooped her up by the waist, twirling her around like two gleeful children lost in the thrill of the moment. To any bystanders, the sight of a sultry, feminine woman spinning a grown man around might have appeared odd, but Kaito did not care one bit.

Goldie

Elowyn couldn't contain her laughter and it added to the ridiculousness of the image with a grown man being held and giggling. For Elowyn, though, she looked exactly that same as she always did so she didn't feel particularly silly about the exchange. She was free. She could put on this Fae charm and disappear. For the first time in her life she felt like she was able to just exist.

Now, that was a silly thought. She was about to undergo a heist at the governor's mansion! That wasn't exactly the existence she had envisioned for herself, nor was it by any means just existing. But....

She smiled down at Kaito from where he held her up, laughter dying on her lips while the joy remained in her eyes.

"It is incredible." She breathed, her cheeks becoming progressively redder the closer they remained touching. "It'll help, won't it?" She kept her voice low.

MorningStar

Kaito couldn't help but be swept up in the infectious laughter bubbling from Elowyn. Despite the absurdity of the situation, he found himself grinning from ear to ear, reveling in the carefree moment. As he held her aloft, her laughter echoed in his ears, a melody of freedom and joy.

"It will more than help," Kaito agreed, his voice tinged with excitement. "It will be perfect!"

However, in the midst of their whispered excitement, Kaito's own excitement got the best of him. As he held Elowyn aloft, a telltale blush crept up his cheeks and his guard lowered, transforming the sultry woman back into Kaito, albeit momentarily. Wide-eyed and flustered, he quickly set her down, the sudden shift catching them both off guard. "Uh, sorry about that," he muttered, his cheeks now flushed with embarrassment. With a sheepish grin, he attempted to resume the guise of the sultry woman, only to find himself inadvertently slipping back into his own form once more. "Whoops," he exclaimed, a bit more frantic this time. "Let me try that again." With renewed determination, he focused on channeling the enchantment, transforming seamlessly back into the captivating woman before Elowyn's eyes.

"No one saw that, right?"

Goldie

Elowyn gasped in surprise when Kaito's illusion faltered revealing his true self. Her joy turned to apprehension and she nervously glanced around to see if people were watching, if they had noticed. Kia, of course they had noticed! They weren't openly staring at the woman flinging around a man, but they certainly were watching out of the corner of their eyes at the odd display and now? Now that woman was a fox, then a woman, then a fox again.

That wasn't good....not good at all.

The only thing that they could be thankful for was the fact that there weren't many people in the area as it must still be fairly early and guests had yet to rise and come down. So, instead of a room full of people, there was the inn keep, her hand, and an odd person sitting in the corner next to the fireplace with a nose stuck in a book of some kind.

Elowyn didn't stop to think, her heart was in her throat and panic threatened to smother her. She walked briskly over to the woman at the counter who was now staring wide-eyed at the woman who had just turned into a fox.

"What's your name, love?" she asked quietly, leaning on the counter with what she hoped was nonchalance despite the screaming that raged inside her head.

"Ah....Lorren...." She glanced at El and then back at Kaito. Elowyn reached forward and gently guided Lorren's face so they were making direct eye contact. Her pupils dilated as she summoned her gifts, "Lorren, tell me the name of your helper and the man in the corner."

"Samuel." She pointed to the young man who stood behind her, also staring fearfully at the two of them, "I don't remember his name. Just checked in yesterday."

Dammit.

"Samuel." Elowyn caught the man's eyes and pulled him in with her voice as well, "Come here, please." He walked over until he was standing directly next to the woman, "Lorren, Samuel, you will remember nothing. A woman and a man rented a room here, they were unremarkable but good customers." She had to pull deeper into herself to make them believe her – they were fighting her commands because they went against their own consciences. A sweat broke out on her brow, but she maintained the compulsion, "If questioned, you saw nothing else. They rented and then they left. You both have to check on the porridge. Now."

Both workers nodded, and only then did Elowyn release them. She swayed, breath coming in quickly as she recovered and Lorren and Samuel both disappeared into the kitchens. El's knees felt like jelly and her knuckles turned white as she gripped the edge of the counter to stay upright. That was hard. Far harder than any other little piece of glamour she'd used before in her life. She'd never actually wiped someone's memory before which is exactly what she had done with these two – complete alteration. Even if she had gotten the name of the man in the corner, she wasn't sure she'd have the strength to do it again.

MorningStar

While Elowyn worked her magic on the innkeeper and her helper, Kaito kept a watchful eye on the man, noting the mix of surprise and suspicion that flickered in his eyes before he tried to hide in behind his book.

With a quick glance at Elowyn, he took note of the exhaustion that etched her face. Using her powers must have taken a toll on her, and so, without a second thought, he decided to take matters into his own hands. The jury was out, after all.

As the innkeeper and her helper began to retreat, Kaito approached the man with a charming smile, but the tension in the room was palpable. "Looks like you've stumbled upon a bit of magic today," he remarked casually, trying to break the ice.

The man regarded Kaito with narrowed eyes, his expression guarded. "Magic, huh? Seems like more trouble than it's worth," he replied, his voice laced with skepticism.

Kaito's smile faltered slightly at the man's response, but he maintained his composure. "Oh, I don't know," he countered, his tone light but with a hint of challenge. He exhaled and let himself resume his normal appearance. "Magic has its perks. Like making a grand entrance, for instance."

The man's gaze shook before it became steady, his suspicion apparent. "I'm not one for tricks," he stated firmly, his tone leaving little room for argument. "You must be in some trouble to put on such an act just to stay at an inn."

Kaito chuckled, trying to maintain his casual demeanor despite the man's probing. "Trouble? Nah, just a bit of fun, you know?" he replied with a shrug, hoping to brush off the man's suspicions. "Life's too short to take everything so seriously."

The man's expression remained guarded, his eyes narrowing as he studied Kaito. "Fun, huh?" he mused, his tone skeptical. "Seems like a lot of effort for a bit of fun." He leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "Or maybe there's more to it than that. Maybe you're running from something—or someone."

Kaito's smile faltered slightly at the man's insinuation, but he maintained his composure. "You've got quite the imagination," he remarked lightly, trying to deflect the man's suspicions. "But we're just passing through, looking for a bit of adventure, you know?"

The man's gaze hardened, his suspicion intensifying. "Adventure, huh?" he repeated, his tone skeptical. "Well, I'm sure a couple of travelers like yourselves could use a helping hand. For the right price."

Goldie

Elowyn closed her eyes tight and continued to force her body to steady. She felt lightheaded; breathless. Not even deep even breaths seemed to assuage the piercing exhaustion that came from forcing people to change their perception of the world. Did all Fae feel this? Or was it simply a perk of only being half? Perhaps it wasn't a skill they possessed at all and came from the hybrid nature of her lineage.

Too many questions, none of which had any definitive answers, only made her more annoyed at her shortcomings.

From what she gathered, Kaito wasn't having much luck. The man stood firm, and was even beginning to seemingly blackmail them? Well that wouldn't do...

Elowyn sucked in a breath and began the walk towards the man, unaware that at that very moment the glamour provided by the necklace shifted to reveal to him a full blooded Fae nearly identical to the ones they had stumbled across before. To him, she stood in gossamer robes with white hair down to her waist and black irises just too large to be human. Her eyes were exactly like her normal ones, to be honest, but the Fae standing before the man was taller and older.

His eyes grew wide as he stared at her, mouth dropping.

"What is your name?" Elowyn asked, completely unaware of the visage he perceived.

MorningStar

As Kaito observed the exchange between Elowyn and the man, he noticed a subtle shift in the man's demeanor. Initially defiant, the man's confidence seemed to wane as Elowyn approached him. His eyes darted around nervously, and Kaito could see the fear creeping into his expression. When Elowyn asked for his name, the man hesitated, his voice wavering as he stammered in response.

"I-I don't have to tell you anything!" he blurted out, his voice cracking with panic. He moved back in his chair only to hit the wall behind him, clearly unnerved by Elowyn's presence and the sudden change in her appearance. His hands trembled slightly, and Kaito could see the desperation in his eyes as he glanced around, searching for an escape route.

Kaito felt a pang of concern as he watched the man's reaction. Whatever Elowyn had done  had clearly rattled him. As Kaito glanced towards Elowyn, he saw her as he always did - the familiar figure of his El, a smoke show in his eyes, sure, but nothing out of the ordinary. Confusion creased his brow as he tried to comprehend the man's reaction. What could possibly be so terrifying about her? But before he could dwell on it further, his attention snapped back to the man as he heard the frantic tone in his voice.

"I'll ask you to show a little respect to my partner," Kaito interjected firmly, his voice carrying a subtle warning. The man's eyes widened in terror as he looked back at Kaito, his frantic gaze darting between the two of them.

"She's a monster! You're both monsters!" the man exclaimed, his voice trembling with fear. Without another word, he leaped up from his chair, causing it to topple over, and made a dash for the door, leaving behind his belongings in his haste to escape.

Goldie

The whole exchange was confusing to say the least. Elowyn assumed she still looked like the man Kaito had devised that had tricked the innkeeper and her staff, but the quick change in demeanor and reaction made her think the necklace had once again changed her. Her mouth hung open in surprise as he bolted out the door and she looked at Kaito.

"Do I look different or something? Did I change for you?" She lifted the clear crystal sphere and peered down her nose at it awkwardly, as if that would magically provide answers.

"I mean...I guess I must look different....I don't think the character you created was that scary..."

She smiled sheepishly up at him and then glanced nervously after the man, "Should we go after him....?"

MorningStar

Kaito's concern flickered behind his eyes as he observed Elowyn's confusion, but he masked it with a calm demeanor. "No, no, you look exactly as you should," he assured her, trying to offer a reassuring smile. He didn't want to alarm her with his own doubts about the situation.

As she mentioned going after the man, Kaito hesitated for a moment, weighing the options. "We probably should," he conceded, though his tone hinted at his uncertainty. "But I don't know if it's worth it. Let's just gather our things and get out of here, shall we?"

With a subtle gesture, he motioned for her to lead the way back to the room, allowing her to take the lead as he followed closely behind. "After you."

Goldie

She pursed her lips, sensing the not-so-honest answer, but not because his words triggered her ability to tell, but because there were certainly things being left unsaid. They already knew that the necklace could show multiple faces to multiple people, but what face did it decide to show this time? A monster, if the man's words were to be believed, that much was apparent.

"Ok." She agreed and turned towards the room, "we're leaving the more...ah....colorful clothing." She added without turning back, anxiety and exhaustion high after the excitement.

When they returned to the room, she held the door for Kaito and tilted her head to the side to peer at him curiously, "You don't have to keep things from me, you know."

MorningStar

Kaito almost had forgotten just how sharp Elowyn was, but her keen intuition and perceptive nature quickly reminded him. It was moments like these that reaffirmed his decision to bring her along - seeing the potential in her that she often failed to see herself.

He followed Elowyn into the room, his mind still swirling with apprehension. As he gathered his belongings, stuffing away one of the more "colorful" attire just in case, he couldn't shake the weight of the recent events. The man's words echoed in his mind, and he couldn't help but worry about the necklace and its unpredictable nature.

"I know, El," he began, his voice soft and tinged with regret. "I don't want to keep things from you, but... I'm just concerned about the necklace. I don't want anything to happen to you." He paused, considering his next words. "Things have already happened because of me, you know? Mischief, trickery, heists - I can control all of that to an extent. But this?" he delicately held the necklace between his fingers, "this I know nothing about."

Goldie

She nodded. That all made sense and she was also silently concerned about it, and she voiced that to him as well.

"But it will allow us to be separated. That is a big pro...I'm sure there's a way to control it. Or a way for me to actually know what it's showing other people." She bit her lip as she stepped away from him and bringing the necklace with her. The door swung shut and she proceeded to collect the only two things that she had to her name at this point: her much too fancy dress and her much too fancy shoes.

Perhaps it was something she could sell? Though, for now, she didn't want to do that. Something about keeping it helped her feel a little less homesick. Maybe one day she'd feel better about it.

"We should try some exercises." She added, "Maybe not here, but sometime. To see if I can influence it."

MorningStar

The streets of the town were alive with activity as Kaito and Elowyn made their way through the bustling crowds. The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm glow over the cobblestone streets and the colorful buildings lining them. People bustled about, merchants hawking their wares, children playing in the streets, and the smell of food wafting from the nearby taverns.

As they walked, Elowyn fidgeted with her necklace, asking Kaito repeatedly what she looked like now. Each time, he saw only her - her familiar features, her determined expression. But one time, just one fleeting moment, he caught a glimpse of a sturdy man in her place. A handsome man at that. He wasn't self-conscious or anything, but why did he have to be so handsome?

Finally, they arrived at the governor's mansion at nightfall, a grand building with towering columns and lush gardens. The sound of music and laughter spilled out from within, mingling with the chatter of the guests gathered outside. Servants bustled about, carrying trays of food and drink, while nobles and socialites mingled in their finest attire.

On the outskirts of the house, away from prying eyes, Kaito began his transformation. With practiced ease, he donned his disguise - a well-to-do noblewoman with a figure-hugging gown that accentuated his curves and emphasized an ample bust. A wig of long, flowing hair completed the look, framing his face in soft curls and adding to his allure.

Once he was ready, Kaito turned to Elowyn, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Remember the plan?" he said, his voice now feminine and mature in his disguise. "I'm going to find Governor Greedy and try to seduce him with these bad boys," he added, motioning to his exaggerated cleavage with a coy smile.