Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Give Me Your Name [MorningStar]

Started by Goldie, January 07, 2024, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

This was different than what she'd done before, seemingly more simple but overwhelmingly more complex than what she'd done earlier to Devon. Persuasion of movement was simple. Especially when the person being persuaded to was not completely locked into a set of convictions that ran contrary to the request.

But this? This would ensure truth. She could always tell if someone was lying, but to force there to be complete truth...

She shifted, wincing as she pulled herself up to eye level with Kaito.

"Kaito." The moment she said his name, he would be locked into her request, her pupils dilated slightly and she didn't break her gaze, "Please tell me the truth." There was the command. Now for the question.

"Are you going to hurt me?"
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

MorningStar

A persistent smile adorned Kaito's face until the moment Elowyn posed her question. Abruptly, his countenance shifted into a more neutral, almost blank expression. With a noticeable slowness, he blinked, and his voice took on a near monotone quality as he responded, "No. I would never hurt you, El."

Another gradual blink, and life returned to his eyes. He regarded Elowyn with a puzzlement in his gaze, prompting him to ask, "Well? What did you want to ask me?"

Goldie

Elowyn felt the effects of her question almost immediately, possibly more than normal because of her current state, and she slumped forward, her head falling onto his shoulder. She closed her eyes for just a few moments while she tried to keep the room from spinning.

"I already asked it." She told him, slightly concerned, "Do...do you not remember?"

Did it always happen like that? She didn't know. It wasn't a skill she utilized often.

Then she pushed herself up again and nodded, "I'll go with you."

MorningStar

Should he have remembered?

The question echoed in his mind, a fleeting doubt that brushed against his thoughts. Yet, with the urgency of the moment, there was no luxury of dwelling on such uncertainties. Whatever test the enigmatic woman had just subjected him to, it seemed like he had emerged unscathed, and a surge of joy fluttered in his heart. The prospect of having a sharp-witted and curious female companion by his side, for however brief or extended a period, ignited a palpable excitement within him. The intrigue she held only added to the thrill.

"This room is clear!"

The distant call from one of the guards served as a grounding reminder, swiftly pulling Kaito back to the present. Rising to his feet, he extended a hand to her. "Can you walk?" he inquired genuinely, concern reflecting in his eyes. Contemplating whether to wait for a response, he entertained the thought of scooping her up and carrying her regardless.

Goldie

"I'm certainly going to try." She replied, exhaustion lacing her words, "You're not going to get out of this house carrying me."

She took his hand and used his strength to raise to her feet. She put on a good show, making sure to hide the weakness she was feeling behind a mask of confidence she didn't feel. The test of true nobility, to be sure. You never showed your weakness or the others would eat you alive. Play the game or the game plays you.

"When we get up there...can your skills cloak us both? Or is it only tied to your appearance?" She was trying to figure out how to play this. As a drunk debutant? Leaning on a helpful suitor or chaperone? It was both helpful and...not...that she had changed. On one hand she would stand out as being ridiculously plain amidst a sea of excess, on the other she would be more noticeably her if she was still in that custom gown.

MorningStar

He had never thought of that. Kaito was a master of illusion, so why had he never thought of that? Surely, he would be able to cloak both of them, and not just himself. The idea had never crossed his mind before, but with his powers returning post-dust and confinement, he felt a newfound confidence in its feasibility.

"I think we can make that work, clever girl," he grinned. "How shall we play this? Two lovers, whisking each other away into the night? A tipsy husband and his bashful wife? What scenario will keep us as under the radar as we need right now?"

The prospect of weaving an illusion to obscure their presence ignited a spark of excitement in Kaito, a game played between two partners in crime. He could only hope that his face did give away too much of his sudden glee.

Goldie

A sigh of relief.

Oh thank Kia. She put on a brave face, but she was struggling. A few steps unassisted might have been the end, but if they could lean on each other covered by his magic? That could work. That she could do.

This could work. This would work. And then she could finally sleep.

"Something where this wouldn't look amiss?" She muttered, linking her arm around his and laying her head on his shoulder. "If you can manage it...I don't want to be a burden."

MorningStar

"Shut up," he teased in retort, "you're not a burden. Let's get out of here."

Kaito, now with Elowyn in tow, retraced their steps through the dimly lit chamber until they reached Lord Harrington's bedroom. Sensing a need for disguise, he focused his art of illusion on transforming their appearances. His own image shifted into that of a less-than-sober nobleman, complete with a flushed face and disheveled attire. Meanwhile, Elowyn underwent a transformation into an older, plump noblewoman, mirroring the state of inebriation. The illusion enveloped them, creating a facade that would hopefully shield them from unwanted attention as they began to navigate their way through the bustling crowd of guests and out the front door.

"Almost there," he whispered. "We just need to go downstairs and out the door. Keep your head on my shoulder, we'll-"

His sentence was cut short over the sound of approached footsteps. Shit. Really? Already?

Anticipating the need for a diversion, Kaito swiftly apologized to Elowyn, murmuring, "I'm sorry about this," before leaning in for a staged kiss. Their lips met briefly, simulating a moment of affection. Just as the illusion unfolded, an audible "ahem" cut through the air. Kaito, now portraying a tipsy nobleman, turned to find Lady Harrington behind them, a scene of supposed passion now exposed.

He flashed the lady of a house an embarrassed smile, making an effort to stay in front of Elowyn just in case the effects began wearing off. "Oh, um, apologies m-ma'am," he quickly stammered. "We did realize this was your room!"

Goldie

The walk took a lot out of her and she found herself leaning on Kaito more and more with each step. Her breath came in heavy gasps by the top of a set of stairs, but they were now in the room she easily recognized to be her Aunt and Uncles. They were close. His illusion even made her question her own appearance as she glanced down. She could see a little of herself beneath it, but figured that was because she was the skeleton of the illusion itself.

"Ok." She murmured, and then he was apologizing and he was kissing her. Her heart fluttered, then skipped, and all thoughts of exhaustion seemed to be dashed from her head. She was about to say something, to ask questions like what the hell? But, thankfully, she didn't have the chance.

He pulled away and she stumbled, hopefully adding to the inebriated facade as she grasped at his sleeve to keep from falling. She didn't want to say anything. She was too afraid her aunt would know it was her! So she just gaped at her from behind Kaito's shoulder.

"You shouldn't be upstairs at all." Her aunt hissed at them, "Let alone in our private chambers." She glanced around and spotted the bookcase that was still open behind them. Her lips pressed into a firm line.

"Who are you?"

MorningStar

Surprised that the drunken kiss show didn't immediately excuse them from the room, Kaito was even more taken aback when the lady of the household asked for their names. Granted, in the urgency of just getting to this point, he had not realized he left the bookcase open to cover their tracks.

"Lord Theodore Alcott, madam," he attempted to say astutely, injecting a deliberate slur into his speech. "I own the estate just off the riverbank. Perhaps you've heard...?" He let his words trail off, feigning haziness from the alcohol served downstairs.

Without waiting for Lady Harrington's reply, he added in a drunken dismiss, "We apologize for the disturbance. If you'll excuse us." Holding Elowyn even closer, he painted the picture that she was too intoxicated to exchange words and took a calculated gamble to walk past Elowyn's skeptical aunt.

Please let us through. Please let us through.

Goldie

But she clearly knew more about that bookshelf than either of them realized and she reached out to grab his arm. It was in that moment that Elowyn knew she had to do something, but she also knew it would come at a cost...this wouldn't be the kind of easy manipulation...her aunt didn't want them to leave. She had questions...

But then she paused. There was another way.

Oh Kia...

She held onto Kaito tightly, then let out what she hoped sounded like a drunken giggle, and peered around his shoulder.

"We loooved those pictures." She giggled again, "So sexy."

The color drained from her Aunt's face and she let Kaito go, eyes glancing over at the books where Elowyn had found the images before. Then she let go and practically shoed them from the room without a second glance.

MorningStar

Oh she's good. By gods, Kaito might be in love again.

But this was no time for such romantic whimsy, they needed to escape. Once they were out of the room, he guided Elowyn down the stairs and whispered, "you're a good act, and a good kisser."

Navigating through the lively, inebriated crowd was next, and Kaito and Elowyn needed to play their roles as a pair of tipsy nobles. The party had reached its peak, the air filled with laughter, music, and the clinking of glasses. With an illusionary facade, they held each other for apparent support, blending seamlessly into the intoxicated revelry.

Carefully, they made their way through the crowd, their movements synchronized to the rhythm of the celebration. Kaito exchanged slurred pleasantries with fellow partygoers, creating the illusion of two individuals thoroughly enjoying the festivities. Their destination, the front door, loomed ahead as they continued their charade, skillfully navigating the tipsy throng.

Goldie

She let him lead her. Her head was pounding so much by this point that it took all of her strength to manage the laughter and music. Even the clinking of glasses and dishes being collected by servants was enough to bring tears to her eyes. For a time she was forced to simply close them and hope Kaito's deft movements wouldn't be hindered as they moved.

Everything existed in flashes and she realized after a few minutes, or maybe more than a few, she was losing time. Her feet still moved, but her brain was at the verge of shutting her down. She needed to rest. But Kia, so did he! She wasn't the only one who was hurting and would even argue that he must be worse off than she. How long had he been down there? How long had they questioned him while she stared at the bed canopy? But one forceful maneuver sent her reeling?

Not that she knew much about head injuries. In her mind she was being delicate. She was being a burden.

So she kept her mouth shut and let him lead while she slowly slipped in and out of consciousness. Had to keep moving. Had to keep moving...

MorningStar

Kaito continued to provide steadfast support to Elowyn under the cloaked appearance, skillfully navigating through the lively and somewhat inebriated crowd of nobles gathered at the Harrington Estate. The grand entrance loomed ahead, tantalizingly close, and Kaito could practically sense the freedom awaiting them. Summoning one last burst of determination, they subtly slipped through the door, seamlessly blending into the characters they had assumed for the evening.

As they descended the steps leading to the estate's expansive grounds, Kaito felt the subtle unraveling of their illusion. The magical facade that had shielded them from prying eyes and gossiping whispers began to dissipate. Elowyn's, in particular, was fading fast.

Sensing the urgency of the situation, Kaito briskly guided them out of the immediate view of the revelry, his focus set on fully dispelling the illusion before addressing Elowyn's condition. With a subtle wave of his hand, the magical disguise dissipated like morning mist, revealing their true forms.

Turning his worried gaze toward Elowyn, he couldn't ignore the signs of distress. It was clear she had sustained a concussion. While Kaito possessed some basic healing abilities, he knew they were far from a substitute for proper medical care. Unfortunately, the prospect of reaching a skilled healer seemed distant.

Taking matters into his own hands, he gently scooped Elowyn into his arms, wincing at the pain shooting through his ribs from the earlier altercation. Urgency fueled his movements as he fled into the shelter of the nearby wooded thicket, aiming to put a considerable distance between them and the crowded estate. The canopy above offered a semblance of concealment, providing a momentary reprieve from prying eyes.

Once safely ensconced within the shadows of the trees, Kaito carefully lowered Elowyn to the ground, his expression etched with concern. "Elowyn, can you hear me?" he asked softly, his hands hovering over her in a tentative attempt to assess the extent of her injuries. The distant sounds of the revelry faded into the background as he focused on the task at hand, determined to do whatever it took to ensure her well-being.

Goldie

As she slid to the ground, a sigh escaped her lips and she found herself going limp. She was so tired. So, so tired. She could just take a rest here and then they could keep going, right? It wouldn't hurt...

But then he said her name, her full name, and she was compelled to tell the truth. Ignoring him would be a lie in this instance and...well...he said her name. She couldn't lie.

"Yes." She tried to swallow but her throat was so dry it didn't help.

"Sorry..." she closed her eyes and felt her head resting against...something. Whether earth or a tree or Kaito himself she couldn't tell nor did she care at the moment to find out, "I'm just tired. Can I rest for a moment? Just a moment...I'll be fine after that..."

She was such a burden. He should just leave her and save himself. Her family would find her and take care of her. Right?

A pair of dark eyes watched the two of them from the trees, contemplating; concerned. But they just observed. What would the fox do? They could tell from here that the girl needed help. Would he help her?

MorningStar

Kaito's composure began to shatter as panic tightened its grip on him, his concern for Elowyn's condition escalating. He's had a companion for all of ten seconds and now she might die on his watch. With a conflicted expression, he agreed to let her rest but urgently cautioned, "You need to stay awake, Elowyn. Promise me." The weight of worry was evident in his eyes.

Driven by a frantic sense of responsibility, Kaito rushed to scour the wooded thicket for herbs that could potentially ease the pain in Elowyn's head. His hands trembled as he gathered the ingredients, nervously fumbling through the foliage. Despite his efforts, the healing concoction he crafted seemed to lack its usual potency - regardless, he had to try.

Kaito carefully applied the herbal remedies he had hastily concocted to Elowyn's skin, his hands moving with a mixture of urgency and precision. The forest around them remained hushed, amplifying the gravity of the situation. Despite his best efforts, a frown etched itself onto Kaito's face as he observed Elowyn's pain and disorientation persisting, disappointment welling within him. The healing properties of the herbs seemed sluggish, failing to bring the relief he had hoped for.

"Stay with me," he whispered, hovering anxiously over  Elowyn, and watching for any sign of improvement. "Stay with me."

During the tension, a strange sensation then prickled at the edge of Kaito's awareness. A presence, which almost felt otherworldly, lingered around them, a stark contrast to the nobles at the estate. His senses heightened, Kaito's gaze darted through the shadows, attempting to discern the source of this ethereal presence.

"Is someone there?"

Goldie

She nodded breathlessly to his request, but the moment he disappeared to find the herbs needed to help, the quiet of the woods enveloped her and lulled her into unconsciousness. When he returned her chest continued to rise and fall, but her breathing was shallow and her hands cold. Neither of them could have known just how much damage that guard had done when he slammed her against the stone. She was a small woman, after all, and his entire job was being strong enough to break prisoners.

As he panicked, the figure in the shadow continued to watch; intrigued but still concerned. The girl was still. They could hear the shallowness of her breathing. They could sense the pain waning of one of their own.

"Will you come?" The figure stepped from the trees, a silver light seemingly coming from the within illuminating their features. They were fair, so fair they appeared almost translucent, with hair that matched the moonlight. Their body was covered in what appeared to be gossamer type wings and their eyes...he would recognize those eyes. They were identical to Elowyn's.

"Will you come?" They asked again.

MorningStar

In the ethereal glow of the otherworldly beings emerging from the thicket, Kaito stood in awe, a sense of wonder and caution mingling within him. He observed them with a discerning gaze, an instinctive feeling assuring him that these beings posed no threat to him or Elowyn. As the pieces of the mysterious puzzle began to fall into place, he couldn't help but entertain the notion that these creatures might be what he had only encountered in books—Fae.

A peculiar realization struck him as he scrutinized their enchanting eyes, mirroring the captivating hues of Elowyn's gaze. Was Elowyn somehow connected to them? Was she... ? Before he could delve into the depths of that revelation, the Fae extended an invitation, their voices carrying an otherworldly melody.

"Will you come?" they asked, and in response, Kaito gently scooped Elowyn into his arms once more, cradling her against him as he carefully carried her from beneath her legs. The pain in his ribs intensified, but determination fueled his steps as he approached the Fae and the radiant light they emitted.

In a hushed tone, laden with both desperation and unexplainable trust, Kaito implored, "Please help her."

Goldie

They smiled, more appearing from behind them, peering at the two with curious eyes. Come. Come. Come with us. they sang out in the quiet whispers of a choir. And as Kaito scooped up Elowyn and followed, they whispered both of their names - voices overlapping in a quiet, unnerving cacophony.

And as he stepped forward the forest changed. The surroundings seemingly stayed the same but the color shifted, and then shifted again, and moonlight touched everything despite the canopy that clearly covered the wood. Their clothing looked more ethereal and moved as if by an indiscernible wind that touched nothing by whatever fabric encompassed them. The leader, the one who had been watching them from the trees in their realm, was joined by a dozen more, all with the same eyes - dark, flecked with silver, and larger than humans but not so large the whites were missing. Just enough that they were different. Just enough to be otherworldly.

When they spoke it was as if they all spoke at once both out loud and within their minds, "Come."

And then another approached and reached for Elowyn. It was impossible to tell them apart. Impossible to know if they were male, female, or neither entirely.

"We will heal her." And then a gentle hand pressed against Kaito's ribs, "We will heal you."

MorningStar

The ethereal whispers of the fae echoed in Kaito's mind, their otherworldly requests creating an atmosphere of tranquility. Before he could articulate his thoughts, a wince escaped him as their touch reached his ribs.

"Go easy, plea-"

He attempted to request gentleness, but his words were swiftly silenced. "We will heal you," they said again in harmonious unison. "We will heal Kaito. We will heal Elowyn."

An unexpected sensation enveloped him – the pain, the bruises, the fractures, all gradually dissolving in a manner unlike any healing he had experienced. He listened to the gentle crunches, the sound of his bones seemingly snapping back together beneath his skin, and a warm sensation spread within him, akin to the comforting warmth of red wine.

Instinctively, he reached for Elowyn's hand, fearing the possibility of being separated. In the enchanting glow of the Fae, he was too absorbed to discern whether it was her hand or one of the Fae's that he grasped.