Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Give Me Your Name [MorningStar]

Started by Goldie, January 07, 2024, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

But Elowyn was gone. The moment she was removed from his arms she, and the fae that held her, disappeared into the forest. Or, more aptly, faded and became the forest. Or, something. The fae realm wasn't like the physical realm. It was alive. It was breathing. It shifted around them. Even now the pair had been missing from their world for two weeks. In another minute it could be a few seconds or maybe a month.

Once he was healed, another fae took his hand, "Come." They told him, urged him.

Kaito? a voice whispered in the back of his mind, or perhaps it didn't. Nothing worked here like it should, Kaito... it sounded like Elowyn, it was Elowyn. The moment they crossed into the faerie realm it was like a switch and went off in her head and she could feel everything.

Kaito don't...don't eat the food. Don't drink....

And then her voice faded like she was drifting off to sleep.

"Fear not, Kaito Mori." A louder voice spoke, though it was still mingled with the choir, "We take care of our own. Come. Come speak with me."
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

MorningStar

Enveloped in the enchanting allure of the Fae realm, he finds himself captivated by its mystical wonders. However, his reverie is abruptly shattered when he realizes that Elowyn is no longer by his side. Despite the otherworldly haze that clouds his senses, a flicker of panic ignites within him as he frantically searches for her presence. Just as uncertainty tightens its grip, her voice reaches his ears.

Kaito don't...don't eat the food. Don't drink....

Don't eat the food... ?

And then, another voice.

"Come. Come speak with me."

A mysterious beckoning resonates through the ethereal air, compelling him to move, almost as if under a spell. In the midst of the enchantment, a torrent of questions floods his mind, and he attempts to call out to Elowyn. "Where is she?" he asks the voice, though the uncertainty lingers as he's unsure who exactly he's addressing.

Goldie

The fae take his hands gently and pull him through the woods. As they walk the forest shifts until the trees bend around them like a tunnel with a glowing silver light towards the end where sounds of joviality and revelry are coming from. As they draw closer fae of all sizes were dancing together with goblets of wine in their hands and flowers in their hair.

At the front of the forest room were a few steps and then a seat where another fae sat with a circlet of gold upon her brow and vine-like rings on her fingers. Beside her, lying on a bed of moss, lay Elowyn with two fae gently stroking her head in circular motions. She was covered in a blanket that looked identical to the iridescent clothing each of the fae wore.

She was breathing, but her eyes were closed.

"Come, Kaito Mori," the woman on the throne said, extending her hand to showcase the party, "Join us. Eat. Drink. Rest. Elowyn will be healed. We take care of our own."

MorningStar

As Kaito followed the fae through the forest, a whimsical scene unfolded before his eyes. Luxurious food adorned tables, fae danced in graceful circles, and goblets of wine sparkled in the ambient light. The whole atmosphere was enchanting, filled with heavenly smells that tickled his senses, creating a surreal experience in the heart of the forest.

Despite the dreamlike haze enveloping him, Kaito stood in awe before the woman on the throne, her words reaching him with an inexplicable sense of comfort. "Please eat, Kaito Mori," she beckoned, "eat, drink, rest. We will take care of you here."

In response, a plate of food materialized before him, tempting him to indulge in their hospitality. However, Elowyn's caution echoed in his mind – a reminder not to partake.

Don't eat the food. Don't drink."

"Very kind, but I'll have to pass," Kaito declined, though the low growl of his stomach betrayed his words. His gaze shifted to Elowyn, and he inquired of the fae on the throne, "What... what are they doing?" His eyes remained fixed on Elowyn, seeking answers.

Goldie

"Healing her." She had one translucent finger pressed against her temple as she watched Kaito intently. With his first refusal of food, some of her ethereal qualities, while still there, they were lessened almost. The Faerie Queen even leaned forward slightly as if to get a better look at her guest.

"She was injured. Quite more than you could imagine. Minds are more difficult to mend."

She waved her hand again and another plate of food seemingly rose from the floor with a bowl of Kaito's favorite food perched on top.

"Eat. It was prepared especially for you Kaito Mori." And then she thought for a moment.

"You tried to heal her. Why? You don't know her. You only just met. Why her? Of all the women that dance in your eyes, why Elowyn?"

MorningStar

It was a thought-provoking question—one that left him grappling for a suitable response. He and the girl had just crossed paths, and considering his line of work, she could be perceived as a potential liability or even a hindrance as he navigated the perilous journey of procuring artifacts for his employer.

Kaito harbored a soft spot for women in general, but they remained distant fantasies, not something he actively pursued. He had long convinced himself that his lifestyle couldn't accommodate a lasting relationship.

However, Elowyn was different. She had assisted him, standing out from the other muses in his world and piquing his interest. Grateful for her help and bound by a promise to abduct her—a commitment he did not take lightly—Kaito found himself owing her a debt.

As he gazed at the tempting food before him, its aroma more alluring than anything he had ever encountered, he fought the inner struggle of his growling stomach. With a delicate push, he declined once again. "Why her?" he echoed the question, attempting to articulate an answer. "Because she's my partner."

Goldie

The Faerie Queen thought for a moment, settling back in her chair without letting her black eyes waiver from Kaito. She didn't even blink as the silence persisted. Even the revelry had seemingly faded into the forest while they spoke, but it had done so so stealthily that on could easily have missed it. The food vanished, the music ceased, and the moonlight trickled through the glade like whispers of things yet to come.

Then she held her hand up, almost lazily, and the two fae tending to Elowyn stood, bowed, and faded into stardust.

"It is time for you to leave this realm, Kaito Mori. It is not the hour that she returns to us, nor is it time for you to pay the price for our assistance." She stood and took a step towards him, hands clasped loosely before her, "When we call, you will answer. Honor your word and we shall be...friends."

Then the forest began to regain color. The silver mist that shrouded everything began to lift. Soon, the only thing remaining of the Faerie Realm was distant echo of the queen's final words, Honor your word.

It was nighttime in the same wood they had been in after the party, but they were miles away from their original location and were within a ring of mushrooms just off the forest path. Elowyn stirred in the patch of grass before Kaito, and behind him, on a nearby tree, was a poster with both of their likenesses and the words:

Wanted for Theft and Abduction.
Lady Elowyn Arrnonia was last seen with this man.
1,000 Gold Reward for her Return

MorningStar

As the forest gradually reclaimed its vibrant hues, shifting back to its natural state, Kaito's haze-like demeanor snapped back to reality. However, the surroundings were not familiar; the transition from the fae realm had brought them to a nighttime landscape. Questions flooded his mind—had only a few hours passed, or was it an entire day? Time seemed to warp within the enchanting realm, leaving him bewildered.

His attention shifted to Elowyn, and a slight widening of his eyes signaled the realization that they were somewhere else. Swiftly moving towards her, Kaito knelt down to meet her eyes. With a comforting grin, he inquired, "You okay?" There was genuine concern in his voice, but he put on the playful act for her sake.

For the moment, the wanted poster had eluded the kitsune. His focus was entirely on, in his words, his partner.

Goldie

Her eyelids fluttered a few times as consciousness returned, and then she pushed herself up with a gasp and turned towards Kaito, eyes wide and one hand pressed to her forehead.

"Oh. Oh. Kia help me, I'm so sorry! I asked for a few moments rest and I must have fallen asleep." Her eyes darted around, trying to get a handle on their location. It was...the forest. That's all she could figure out upon a quick glance.

"How long was I out? Are you ok? We...we made it out? You got us out?" Gods she was a useless weight. Sure couldn't even help with an escape!

MorningStar

..Did she not remember?

Kaito keenly sensed Elowyn's disorientation and the underlying currents of franticness. While beside her, he offered a sly smile, a touch of warmth in his eyes. With a gentle reassurance, he took her hands in his, giving them a comforting squeeze.

"Hey," he spoke softly, his tone a blend of understanding and support. "Slow down. We made it out." His eyes searched hers, gauging the depth of her recollection, and in that silent exchange, he also took notice of the miraculous healing she had undergone during that time. "How much do you remember?"

Goldie

She raised an eyebrow as he reached for her hands, asking what she remembered, but she didn't take them away. He had gotten them out and they were both ok. Not only that, but he had told her he wouldn't hurt her and she knew it was true. Perhaps it was silly to base her whole opinion about him on one simple question that could still be true with many different interpretations of his assurances but...

She did trust him. She trusted him only moments after they'd met because he hadn't lied that second time.

Foolish. It really was foolish wasn't it?

"We got away from my Aunt." She replied, as if this was the simplest question ever asked, "You carried me down the steps and into the woods where you let me rest. And now we're here..." but why would he be asking her if that were the case?

"That's...that's not what happened is it?" She asked, voice low and concerned. She looked around the forest again, keen eyes spotting the circle of mushrooms and then landing on the poster just behind Kaito's head.

"Kaito...where are we? What happened?"

MorningStar

"It was.."

He stopped.

As Kaito considered revealing the truth about the Fae to Elowyn, a cloud of worry enveloped his thoughts. The memories of the event lingered vividly in his mind, but for her, they were shrouded in the veil of forgetfulness. A gnawing concern tugged at his consciousness – a conflict between the desire to share the truth and the fear that doing so might place her in unforeseen danger.

Recollections of the Fae's warning echoed in his mind, their cryptic message urging him to heed their call. If she specifically didn't remember, would unraveling those memories pose a threat to her well-being? The inner struggle played out in the chambers of his mind and the depths of his heart, torn between the responsibility to protect her and the inclination to share the hidden truths that could reshape her understanding of their shared experiences. It was a delicate balance, a battle waged within, as he grappled with the weight of decisions that could impact Elowyn's safety and peace of mind.

Then, after several moments of silence, he let out a shuddering breath, and tried to provide a fragment of the truth.

"You were really hurt," he then said, letting his fingers disentangle from hers and his arms sliding back to his side. "I carried you here, trying to get further away from the party and.. some people helped us. Helped you. That's about it, and.."

His eyes followed hers when they landed on the poster, and he quickly stood and moved to it on the tree. Picking it off of the bark and holding it in his hand, he read the bounty and studied the drawing of them.

Shit. "This could be a problem," he muttered under his breath.

Goldie

The little tickle in the back of her head when someone was lying was quiet, but the length of the silence that existed between her question and his answer sent her intuition reeling. She was about to speak when he stood and plucked the poster off of the tree. She hadn't looked close enough to read the text, but it was impossible to ignore their faces staring back at them.

She stood and followed closely behind him, peeking around his shoulder to take a closer look. Her heart nearly stopped in her chest in that very moment.

"How long was I out?" She asked, unable to tear her eyes away. If posters were already hung and rewards being offered....

"How long, Kaito? What people?"

MorningStar

"I, um... I'm not sure," he stammered, his eyes reflecting a mix of panic and genuine uncertainty. "Time felt elusive. It didn't seem very long, but... days? Weeks?"

Swallowing hard, he grappled with the dilemma of how to navigate this conversation without revealing too much. Why was he so scared to tell her?

The truth loomed in his words, and a sense of dread lingered as he continued. "There were these people... or beings. Their eyes, they were just like yours. They healed you, and then healed me. Look!"

With a swift motion, he lifted his shirt, exposing his torso where bruises and cuts from the torture would have marred the surface. Instead, it appeared as if nothing had ever happened. "I understand how it sounds," he added, a note of desperation in his voice. "But it's true. I promise!"

Goldie

Elowyn couldn't tell if he was being elusive on purpose or if he wasn't sure what had happened to them. Once again she knew he was telling the truth but that didn't mean it was the full truth or simply the truth as he saw it. There were so many ways around the truth without actually telling a lie.

But it didn't matter. She knew immediately what had happened to them and why they were both so disoriented. You didn't live in Serendipity, in Fallial, and not be well versed in your own heritage.

"Kaito..." she said slowly, taking his face in her hands to force him to look at her, but not because she was using her skills on him, no, but to make a human connection with him. She needed him to stay grounded. She needed him to stay calm herself.

"Kaito, it was the Fae, wasn't it? It...were we in the Faerie Realm?" She felt panic rising in her chest, making her heart beat faster and her throat tight, "My...my eyes look like them because I am them. The Harringtons aren't blood related, not to me. My father is married to Lord Harrington's sister."

She paused, concerned that he might look at her differently or decide she wasn't worth the hassle anymore. He remember the Faerie Realm and she did not. She'd never been there before in her life but she had heard stories about how it could change you.

This revelation might make her an enemy.

"Please...don't be afraid of me...My birth mother is one of them but that doesn't mean that's who I am."

MorningStar

Kaito's face displayed a mix of puzzlement and caution as Elowyn cupped his face, unraveling the intricacies of her connection to the Fae. Gradually, as she concluded, his expression shifted into a scolding look, though beneath the stern facade, there was a playful and reassuring glint she could not yet see.

"Really, Elowyn," he chided lightly, "this is something. I think I am afraid.." The corners of his lips betrayed the hint of a mischievous smile, letting her in on the playful tone behind the mock scolding, before adding. "That I might not be interesting enough for you now! And here I thought we'd be a good match."

He shot her a wink, a desperate attempt at lightening the mood. Of course this has changed nothing between them. Honestly, he was happy she already knew - made explaining things much easier. However, that didn't mean that he was any less fascinated by her and this newfound revelation.

"Come on, El," he teased again. "I know we've only just met, but give an ridiculously handsome guy some credit."

Goldie

Her hands fell from his face slowly as she watched his eyes, trying to determine if there was some underlying thing that he wasn't voicing. But he was right, they had only just met and besides identifying outright lies, she didn't know him at all.

"Ok..." she replied, only half believing him. It might not change anything between them now, but later?

"I don't remember anything." She took a step back to put a more appropriate amount of distance between them, "My last memory is lying down in the forest with you and then...woke up here." She looked again at the wanted poster and felt a shiver run the length of her spine and continue to the tips of her toes.

"I think...I think we were there for a long time...this poster doesn't look new, does it?" She chewed on her lower lip in concerned concentration, "What do we do now? What...was your plan before all of this happened? When you decided I was coming with you?"

MorningStar

"You might be right."

As Kaito scrutinizes the bounty poster, the edges bear the telltale signs of aging, resembling weathered parchment worn by the hands of time. Faint lines, like tiny wrinkles, have etched themselves around the details, whispering of weeks that slipped away unnoticed. The once vibrant colors of the ink have mellowed into a slightly faded hue, mirroring the passage of time that has silently woven its threads through the paper.

He carefully folded the poster, securing it in his pocket, and turned his gaze back to Elowyn, who had seemingly distanced herself.

Admitting, "My initial focus was ensuring your safety and tending to your wounds," he confessed that his plan beyond that lacked robustness. "Afterward, my intentions were either to discreetly return you or invite you to join me on the next assignment."

The looming job persisted in his thoughts; despite the situation, he needed to fulfill the obligations for which he was handsomely paid. The retrieval of the artifact at the Harrington estate had to be postponed, but two more awaited his attention as per his employer's request.

Softly muttering a defeated apology, he conceded, "Everything happen so fast, and in the excitement of getting to know you, I didn't give much consideration to the aftermath. I.. I can take you back, it seems as if they're after me. Would you be safe there?"

Goldie

Her initial, gut reaction was to nod at his question about safety, but she stopped halfway through and her brow furrowed. Would she be safe? Truly? She had never seen her Uncle like that before, the anger alone was reflected in their short conversation and that didn't even go into the wounds that Kaito himself had sustained during his interrogation.

"I don't know." She finally replied, eyes gazing at one of the mushrooms at the far edge of the ring where she had woken. She rubbed her hands against her eyes and shook her head, "I truly don't know...the Harringtons have never liked me. They...I...my existence is constant proof of my father's infidelity."

She sighed and looked back up at him with her head tilted to the side, "But I'm not exactly easy to hide. I stand out. I have no skills that could help you unless you need me to do some needlework or run a household for a future spouse." Her eyes rolled at that, "If I stay with you you'll be putting yourself in danger."

MorningStar

Kaito's expression shifted from a smirk to sympathy, eventually settling on a slight irritation, particularly at her mention of being a household maid. "Enough, El," he interjected decisively. "The Harringtons may not appreciate you, but I do. I'm not looking for a household maid; I need Elowyn. You should give yourself more credit; I've witnessed your capabilities for myself."

He theatrically knelt before her, gesturing dramatically with his hands. "Danger is my middle name, no big deal," he remarked. "And, as I mentioned earlier, I'm fully committed to 'kidnapping' you. If you're on board, let's do this, but no more degrading yourself. You're more than that."