Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, lookit! It's an inn!

Started by Anonymous, August 24, 2006, 10:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Vex nodded wisely, as though he had understood what she was saying. In reality, of course, he had no clue. Could anyone completely handle their own lives? Maybe prying into other people's business was a way to relieve stress...

Vex stared at her eyebrow in awed fascination. Wow. How did she do that? He'd always thought that those lines above a person's eyes were tattoos. And now, she was moving one of them. If only his employer(or rather, ex-employer), had seen fit to provide him with movable eyebrows. He was so captivated that he didn't hear her rant. "Huh?" he said, still studying the miraculous eyebrow for any sign of movement.

"They don't have minds?" He frowned. "Is a mind the same thing as a brain?" The gargoyle was looking for clarification; he wasn't sure if he had a brain himself. "Do I have a mind?"

Anonymous

"What are you staring at?!" The blonde demanded with a scowl, slamming a pale fist upon the table. Cracks shivered up its surface. "Being watched is highly unnerving, you know..." She snarled dangerously, fangs sliding over her teeth. It was a dangerous thing to make her angry...As several people realized all too late.

"No...Ugh..." She now sighed and rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Mindless simply means that they are stupid...They do not think when they act, is all...And no, a 'mind' really is not the same thing as a brain..." She glanced at him. "And how would I know if you have one? I didn't create you!"

Anonymous

“That thing above your eye…� Vex said, still fascinated. Nobody had ever taught him that it was rude to stare. “Oh? Really? It is?� He turned his attention to his words. How had she come to that conclusion? People stared at him all the time, but he never minded. He suddenly noticed the cracks on the table. “Do you own this place?�

“You mean there’s no way of checking?� Vex asked, crestfallen. Dammit. He really wanted to know if he had a mind or not. “Do you think whoever created me would know?� he asked, although the last thing he wanted to do was fly back to the enchantress.

Anonymous

"Never mind...Just don't look at me like that." She retorted sourly, brushing back a strand of hair. "And why would I want to own this cruddy place?!" She asked, not understanding the meaning of his question.

"And there just isn't an easy way of checking...Unless you want someone to dissect you or something...But trust me, that isn't fun or anything..." Citea stared off into space slightly. "And I guess your creator would know...Unless they were cpmletely idiotic..."

Anonymous

"Well..." he looked down at the table doubtfully. "Should you really be making cracks in somebody else's table. Don't humans have this thing about privacy or something?" the enchantress he'd lived with certainly had. Then again...she had been pretty insane...

"How do they dissect me?" Vex asked curiously. Was it even possible to take stone apart? And what did a gargoyle brain look like, anyways? "You mean there's no magicalish way of checking?" he asked sadly. That was inconvenient. From what the woman had told him, dissecting was painful. He didn't like pain.

Anonymous

Citea sighed and rolled her eyes. "If you are so worried about them..." She ran her fingers over the cracks and they mended themselves. "There? Does that satisfy you?" She asked haughtily.

"And how would they dissect you? I have no idea...I don't exactly study that sort of thing, you know..." She muttered with a bored shrug, twirling a strand of her hair around a pale finger. "And there probably is a 'magicalish' way of checking...But I am certainly not going to try and find one...It is not exactly something I would find interesting...Or time-worthy..."

Anonymous

"That's clever," he leaned over, staring at where the cracks had been. He wondered if it would be polite to ask her how she'd done that. Magic users were always really secretive, but surely she wouldn't mind? Besides, she could just not tell him, right? "How did you do that?" he asked, deciding that politeness wasn't really something that he cared about right now. He closed one eye, staring at the spot to search for any sign of the cracks.

"What do you study?" the gargoyle couldn't resist asking. "And what should I study?" He was having problems finding a job. There weren't a lot of employment options available for gargoyles without much work experience. "What is time-worthy?" he asked, confused. How could something be worthy of time?

Anonymous

"Um...I used magic..." The blonde replied dully...As if the answer weren't already obvious. Was the gargoyle really that clueless? Or was he just trying to annoy her? Either way, Citea did not feel like explaining all the nitty-gritty details of healing cracks in wood. It was rather a monotonous process, really.

"And I haven't 'studied' anything for quite a few years now...Not since I was an apprentice...Hmm...I wonder how my apprentices are doing?" She rested her chin in her hands in thought for a moment, then glanced back at him. "What should you study?" She echoed in slight surprise. "I'm not sure...I don't know everything...I may be getting on in years, but I'm not an old maid...Well...Not exactly..." And she sighed as yet another question was posed to her. "And time-worthy is when something does not unnecessarily waste time that could be used to do something else."

Anonymous

Well, yeah…even Vex could understand that much. Still, he decided to let the subject drop. Maybe there really wasn’t a step-by-step process to magic. Well, he wasn’t sure if he was ever going to learn how to do it. Not that he minded. All the magical people that he knew(so far, the count was two) seemed a bit unhinged. He didn’t want to be like them, no mater what.

Vex wondered exactly what an old maid was. How could a maid be old? Wasn’t maid a word for a young woman? An ‘old maid’ would therefore be an oxymoron, right? He decided not to mention that to her. “What did you study?� he asked persistently. Vex had no intention of following in her footsteps; he didn’t want to gain the same attitude that she had. Still, if he knew what she’d studied, then he would know what subjects to avoid. “And where should I study?� He nodded slowly at her next words. “So time-worthy is a good thing?�

Anonymous

Citea arched an eyebrow at Vex. Was he really serious? Asking the very basics of magic?! Of course she knew them...It was just rather useless to try and explain them to someone who either wasn't going to use those basics, or someone who didn't have the talent. In her opinion, the gargoyle seemed to be more of a combination between the two.

"And what did I study? How should I remember? That was a long time ago...I suppose I started with basic magic and worked my up..." She gave another shrug, frowning slightly in that. No that was a question...What truly had she studied? Self-teaching had not been an easy process...Well, technically, she had had a something teacher, but he was only a few years older than herself, so it had still been difficult.  "Where should you study? How would I know that? And yes, I suppose something is good if it is time-worthy...If not it is rather pointless, you see?"

Anonymous

The eyebrow was moving again. Vex remembered quickly that she didn't like him staring at it, and when he did, she started ruining property. He didn't want the innkeepess after him; she would probably kill him. Or do something that would make him wish that she'd killed him. Still, it was very rude of her to move that eyebrow when she already knew that he was fascinated by it. It was almost as though she was trying to get him into trouble.

"I guess." Vex nodded slowly. Well, now he knew which subject to avoid. 'Basic Magic'. Was there a type of advanced magic? Oh well, he was just going to study something else. After a moment of serious contemplation, he asked, "Sifting sand from a desert with a tweezer? Is that time-worthy?" It certainly took a long time. He knew from experience. After the third day, he'd left.

Anonymous

"Why in the world would you try and do that?" She let out an exasperated sigh, shaking her head. "That is ANYTHING but time-worthy...Unless there was something of great value in that sand...And even then, you should have at least tried to narrow down your search field...A desert is a bit too large."  The blonde glanced at him incredulously. "What in the world led your to do that, anyway?!"

The lack of real insight in this strange customer was really starting to wear upon Citea's nerves. She had had an easier time teaching her students...Even in their naive youths. This would certainly be quite the challenge to survive through.