Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Room to Let (Vernionator X)

Started by Anonymous, August 26, 2006, 09:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Mark sighed as he leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes. It had been a long night and yet he hadn’t made any more progress on his work. His bleary eyes gazed out of the window into the dark alleyway. It was 7am and the sun would be above the horizon of the city and starting to warm the awaking residents, unfortunately Mark’s small home was situated between tall buildings and it would take until late afternoon before the sun made a personal appearance on his house.

With another sigh, he stood up and searched through various papers until he found what he was looking for. He reread the bold, clear writing that said; ‘Room to Let’ and allowed his arms to swing down to his sides as he made his way to the dusty window at the front of his home and pushed the paper against the pane glass, sticking to it with a glue substance.

<I>It’s the only way.</I> He convinced himself for the umpteenth time that morning. <I>I just can’t afford the rent anymore. Damn taxes.</I>
Mark was reluctant to rent his room to a stranger for good reason. Although he really had nothing to steal, the outer parts of the city had worse then thieves hidden within its maze of houses and stores. He had heard that a friend of a friend from a neighbour let his room to a traveller who would only be in the city for a few weeks.

The man stayed in his room for hours on end, only coming out to eat and do other necessary tasks. He also went to the market daily at 8am sharp and return at 10am every morning, but didn’t seem to buy anything or at less nothing obvious. One day his host’s wife heard him talking a strange language through the door then another voice could be heard. As it was after 7pm, and they told him no visitors after 6, she marched into his room and saw to her horror, magical symbols and candles on the floor and a terrible demon. She ran out screaming but was killed by the demon, and before the host could get help after discovering his wife’s body, the mage disappeared and burnt down the house.

Mark shook the thought out of his head, of course he didn’t really believe in magic or at least in magic that strong in this world. He believed the man telling this story burnt down his own home to gain compensation; perhaps he also killed his wife, but speculations aside, the tired young man was more concerned of real threats, like a non-paying lodger.

A dim thumping started between his temples, maybe he should kip for a few hours before work, if the locksmith was needed he’d be summoned by the doorbell, until then Mark really needed some shut eye.

Anonymous

A young pink-eyed girl stood outside in the street below. She had been walking along when she caught a glimpse of the man and his sign up on the second floor of the building. She stopped and stared at the sign, her expression almost cute. She tilted her head as she pondered, hands holding a small yellow envelope pressed against her chest as if it were important to her. From her attire, one could figure that she came from a diner. Covering her petit body was a black, blue and white waitress uniform, strangely revealing and covering at the same time. Whatever the case, it fit her very well.

She was from the restaurant not too far from this neighborhood, but it wasn’t too near either. What could she be doing in this part of town by herself? That was obviously her pay she was holding. Though how sweet and innocent she looked, there was no hiding her hint of fatigue. She was exhausted. And her uniform was getting dirty, but not with common spills, but rather more of the homeless look. Had she been sleeping outside?

Whatever the case, her eyes were locked onto that sign in his window. 'Room to let.' She repeated it in her head. A room? Could she buy a room with her pay? She worked hard for her money, and these nights were cold... Would she have enough? She frowned and looked down finally, holding out her envelope to stare at it. She didn't know... Having no concept of the currency's worth, someone could seriously rob her blind. Maybe she should at least ask? But then again, maybe she was too dirty... She looked at her skirt. It was getting harder to keep it clean...

Taking a deep breath, she sighed and shook off her negative thoughts, and with a kind smile, the one she had practiced for work, she made her way to the front door. Wandering around the frame with her eyes, she spotted the doorbell and pressed it hesitantly. Taking another deep breath, she waited for an answer, holding her envelope against her, not knowing where else to put it.

Anonymous

His eyes flew open at the sound, his mind more groggy to respond as he lay on top of his old mattress bed. It took several moments before he realised it was his doorbell and several more before he managed to rise himself up and to the door.

An unexpected sight greeted the tired man. She wasn't the tax man, was she a customer? He rubbed one eye, the other looking at the pretty girl. She looks like she works, mused Mark, happy at least it wasn't a begger. Her clothes needed a good wash though, maybe the rest of her too.

"Hello?" He asked stiffling a yawn and suddenly felt he wished he had a cleaner shirt on. "Can I help you?" His sign lay forgotten at the back of his mind, afterall what kind of mother would let their daughter rent a room with a man she's not going to marry?

Anonymous

Nobody answered and the icy white-blue haired girl grew nervous. It was then that she heard the sound of footsteps that she sighed in relief, and then the doorknob creaked and the door was pulled open. Her eyes were drawn to the man's face and she smiled kindly.  He looked like a nice gentleman. That made this easier. She was easily intimidated and found it hard to talk to stern people, and there were a lot of people like that in this town, so she experienced. Her skin was a rich tan and face and neck tattooed with an unusual and very symmetrical design. Maybe tribal? These lines continued down her into her shirt and came out from her skirt, her legs of a matching pattern. Her whole body? Even her hands, the soft, trembly little hands that held her envelope were marked with the similar design, only much more intricate, small enough to wrap around her fingers smoothly.

"Hello sir." She said, her voice gentle and sweet, carrying softly to his ears. "I saw your sign."  She mentioned timidly, growing a little more nervous. "Room to let. I...have money." Her grip tightened a little on her envelope slightly. But she kept her smile and continued. "...That is...unless I misinterpreted your sign..."

Anonymous

It took a few seconds for what she said to sink in. She had a sweet smile, he found himself thinking.
"No, no, no misinterpretation. I do have a room to, uh, let indeed." He moved aside to allow the unusal looking girl in with a soft, if nervous smile. "Please come in and we could talk about the arrangements." He wondered if the poor thing had enough money, he actually expected someone who would barter the price as was common in these situations. Maybe the forgien looking girl would surprise him?

He glanced curiously at her strange tattoos but didn't stare long, it was rude to do so. His place was smaller on the inside then on the outside. His kitchen was small with only enough room for the basic cooking utilities, the front room would be bare if it weren't for the empty fireplace, a lone chair and several old, dog eared books that littered the wooden floors. There wasn't a back door, nor a full wall dividing the two rooms. A set of stairs led upstairs to two small bedrooms.

"Sorry about the mess." He murmered leaping over to clear a path to the chair for the lady to sit witrhout tripping.

Anonymous

She was relieved she hadn’t misread the sign and followed him in as she was guided. He noticed his curious eyes on her body, but she wasn’t bothered. She got those from everybody so she was used to it by now. She didn’t even hide them at all, she let her soft skin show as it was meant to in her uniform. She was modest, but she seemed to match whatever type of clothing she wore. Those cold pink eyes took in the inner surroundings of his cozy little home. It felt quite nice inside, very warm and happy.

"No...Its all right..." she replied softly. And as he turned and began to pick up his mess, she naturally followed right behind him and helped clean up, stacking the books in her arms with her envelope. She finished helping clean the floor and stacked the books where he instructed, and took the seat he offered timidly. She sat like a proper lady and looked up at him softly.

Anonymous

"Oh." He took surprise at her gesture of help, she was a guest afterall and shouldn't be expected to tidy up, but he assumed it was her up bringing and accepted it gratefully with another timid smile.

He stood feeling arkward after she sat, pondering what to say. He didn't expect a women to ask for the room, let alone a beautiful young one. Keep your mind on one track, Mark, he scoulded.

"Um, ok. S-so the payment." He told her the amount, he felt not unreasonable, but also added they could make an arrangement regards to cleaning and food buying.
"I don't expect yuh-you to clean everything, of course. I wu-would need an army of maids for that." He chuckled, "And we'll split the f-fuh-food bill."

His mind became blank for a second with what else he needed to discuss. "Um, any questions?"

((lol I forgot about his stutter XD))

Anonymous

"Yes...! Payment....um...I don’t know if I have enough..." she said gently, feeling awkward and embarrassed. Yes the amount was told, but she didn’t count her money, and she didn’t know the worth of it. She was unfamiliar with currency and would have to trust him to be honest with the pricing. "I have this much..." she went to give him her envelope when she realized she didn’t have it anymore. She began to search herself somewhat frantically, nervous at the whole thing. Oh no! She couldn’t find it! Where did it go?? "I-I'm sorry...I cant find my money..." she said shakily, trying not to panic and cry. "I-it was here...I promise I'm not lying...I will pay..." The poor thing was falling apart.

The books! She remembered she had them with the books and rose from her seat, excusing her sell with extreme politeness and very apologetically. She made her way to the table and tried flipping through the tall stacks carefully; thinking maybe that it might be wedged in between two of them. Though careful she tried to be, her hands were shaky and she ended up toppling all the stacks, which quickly turned, into a domino effect and all the books came crashing to the floor again. Oh no! This wasn’t happening... She continued to apologize, even as she lowered to the floor on hands and knees to search through the books again while she tried to pick them back up and stack them.

After a bunch of books were placed back onto the table, she spotted some bills. Nonono... She lowered her head in defeat. Her envelope had opened and her money strewn about with the books. "I'm soo sorry...I-I'll clean it up..." she cried softly, grabbing bills and books, and confusing herself, unable to pick them both up simultaneously. Shed grab the books in one hand and place them in the other, losing her grip on the money and then losing balance on the stack in her arms and dropping them both. What a klutz...

Anonymous

"Oh?" So she was foriegn. "W-well I can hul-help with that."  He said being an honest man he wouldn't be able to live with himself cheating anybody. Then she lost what was holding her money. He stood to aid her, yes he did remember her holding an envolope but with all his books and other various papers it was impossible to say where it would be.

"N-n-nu-no, I believe yu-you." He replied gently, not wanting a flood of tears to appear as that's what she seemed to be on the of. "We'll f-f-find it." Mark started on a pile of books near him when the girl excused herself then was left holding only one as the piles came crashing to the ground. He heard her apologuising to which he replied that it wasn't a problem. When he looked over to see if the poor worried girl had any luck, he heard her saying she would clean up. So she found her money, but they had fallen out of her envolope.

He came over to help, the poor thing was a complete wreck after dropping everything and looked tired and stressed. Mark couldn't help but give a warm smile as he helped her up. Her skin was soft and warm and thought she looked quite cute... Enough of that Mark! He once again scolded, it wasn't proper to think like that when he had just met her, especially when she wasn't from around here and seemed so upset.

"You ju-just sit do-d-down here and I'll get yu-you a hot dre-drink. Don't w-worry about it fu-for now." He stuttered, feeling his cheeks go hot as he went into the kitchen. After a few minutes he came back with a tea-type drink, it was refreshing and sweet. Then he started picking up the bills, only moving the books out the way rather then stacking them high again. It sure didn't take long to become a mess again. He thought idly.

His eyes kept flickering to the girl, although he didn't like admitting it to himself, he found her attractive and couldn't help wonder why she wasn't married off yet. Did she run away? There seemed to be an air of mystery about her and as much as the curiousity knawed at him, it wasn't any of Mark's business.

"Ok." He said, confident he found all the bills and counted them. "Yu-you have enough to p-pay for the room for this w-week and a b-bit to spend on, uh, st-stuff, like clu-clothes." He looked at the notes for a while, then kept the amount owed and gave her back the rest, telling her how much it was.

"Th-there's only tuh-two nights left th-this week, so the muh-money will pay for ne-next week, bu-but I insist yu-you stay to-tonight and tu-tomorrow regardless." He gave a self-concious smile and looked away, would he have been this nice if it was a man? No, he didn't suppose he would. He looked back at her with a grin. "S-so, is it agreed?"

Anonymous

She felt comforted by his kind words, but felt bad that he was helping her. She made the mess and so she didn’t want him to have to clean it up for her. That was bad. She learned that from work. But he was helping... He wouldn’t take no for an answer, and she wasn’t getting anywhere as it was, so she let him help, planning to repay him for it later. And now he wanted her to sit?? She tried to argue, but he was so kind...it was hard to resist him for some reason. Maybe it was the way he spoke... She blushed a bit at that and sat down in the chair again, trying to calm down as she watched him come back out of the kitchen with a drink for her. She felt awful...

She took the drink and thanked him sincerely, bowing her head politely. She continued to apologize, though, as she was forced to sit and watch, unable to help as he gathered up her money. He made it look easy... She blushed again. She was incapable earlier because she was hurried... The tea was good though. It was a strange, but soothing taste, and it helped relax her. She listened carefully to him as he explained the money and took what she owed. She nodded, accepting the rest.

She could buy clothes?? She was relieved at that response. Wow, money was good. She smiled softly at him in return and continued to listen as he suggested she stay even though she wasn’t able to pay the two extra days. "B-but...I-I wouldn’t want to be a burden..." she protested meekly. She gazed up at him innocently at his last question and she pondered, defeated by his kindness. "...I-I suppose...if its all right with you..." she smiled softly at him, a light blush on her cheeks. "I promise I will help you with anything during my time here..." she offered kindly. "...Mister...?" she paused, remembering they hadn't introduced themselves. "...I-I'm sorry...I-I'm K-kali..." she introduced softly.

Anonymous

He smiled as she apologuised but said nothing until she spoke again.
"Oh n-no, y-you'll be no bu-burden at all." He soothenly replied, wanting to calm her protests. He smiled broadly when she meekly agreed, "I'm su-sure you w-will."

Oh yes! How stupid of him to forget to introduce himself! "O-oh! Kali, wh-what a pr-pretty nu-name." His face blushed red and he looked away embarressed. Clearing his throat he added. "My nu-name is Mu-Ma-Mark Farrow."

An awkward silence ensured until Mark realised he should show her where she was going to sleep.

"Oh, uh, if y-you follow m-me, I'll shu-show you your r-room." He led the way.

The room was small and box like, but unlike all the other rooms in the home it was void of clutter. The bed was simple with clean sheets, there was a wordrobe and a set of drawers in the other corner. A hand mirror rested on the drawer and old thick curtains hung over the window. It looked as though the room had been recently cleaned and dusted.

"H-here it is."

Anonymous

Her body shivered as he spoke. There was just something about him...it made her feel less...lowly... She blushed a little more. Yeah, that was it! He didn’t make her fell as others such as her co-workers and boss did. He didn’t treat her like an idiot. Smiling softly, Kali bowed her head again. "Nice to meet you, Mister Mark Farrow..."she greeted, showing respect. Yes, then the awkward silence... Kali obediently rose and followed after Mark as he broke that dreadful silence and began to show Kali her quarters. Those machine eyes gazed about the room peacefully, as she had no complaints. It was much nicer than she could have imagined. "It is very nice..." she complimented as she walked inside. She turned back to him with that soft smile. "Thank you again...!" she couldn’t be happier as she thanked him, her voice still gentle and sweet. The way she spoke made one want to be happy and at ease. Just something about her was very influencing.

Kali then proceeded to sit on the nice soft bed and an irresistible urge forced her to lie back, plopping down on the bed like an innocent child. It was a wonderful felling, lying on a bed. If only she had some warmth though... She blushed at that after peeking at Mark. She was still learning what blushing meant. All she knew is that her body did it only around certain situations. Why did thoughts she had of Mark and her set it off? She smiled still, obviously enjoying the bed.

Anonymous

He stood nervously as if she was judging her room with a criticle eye. He beamed at her praise and gratitude for the room, her smile giving him an odd fluttering feeling in his stomach and tried to douse the heat forming in his cheeks. He started to feel like a school boy again, getting silly over a pretty girl. Still he couldn't stop the fluttering.

"N-not at all, I'm glu-glad you like it." The man didn't know what to do with himself, his fingers weaved and figited together as he struggled to think of anything needing to be said and done.

"Ah, I'll ju-ju-just leave you in p-p-piece ta-to ru-rest. I've gu-got to ge-ge-get ready fu-for-for work anywh-way." He stuttered badly, averting his eyes as she lay on the bed, but he noticed her peek and blush causing himself to redden further as he back stepped out of the room. With another nervous smile he went into his room next door and closed the door softly. With a sigh he leaned against his door, but he couldn't fight off a smile.