Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

For the love of a vampire: In the Mansion

Started by Anonymous, August 30, 2006, 06:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

From his vantage point atop the spiralled tower, the figure stood headstrong, face in sharp profile as his chin jutted out against the milky moon. Leaves of three carved out grooves in the soft blocks of stone, and the tendrils shifted as the ivy slowly made it’s way towards the man’s feet, but still he stood, silent as a statue, paying no heed to the creeping plants. He made quite the striking figure with his feet set apart, chest out and his hands balled into fists at the side of his body.

A few minutes could have passed, a few hours, or even decades; there was no sense of the trickle of time at all, save for the breeze which caressed his fresh lacy shirt, the breeze which nuzzled his soft cape and ruffled his hair. The slightly wet strands gleamed, being in the state where it mostly soft and feathery, yet still faintly damp. Shaking his head to clear the hair from his eyes, Damien watched the events below him impassively.

A simple touch, a pluck of power and he’d been able to shield his signature scent from everyone present. Of course, if they’d happened to look up they would’ve seen him for he still didn’t have that much power yet. He didn’t even blink when Arashel used his magic to make the Faraday girl vanish from his sight.

Since, he’d dried himself and gotten dressed with the blankness of a soldier. Everything had been done so carefully, so immaculately, and so emotionlessly.

The owls hooted in the distance, joining in with the chorus of cicadas that hummed and throbbed in the still night air. From atop, he was able to see the whole of his garden in its infinite glory. Climbing camellias entwined with the delicate trumpets of honeysuckle, as lilies swayed gently, nodding themselves to sleep. The musical tinkling of the water fountains sent a shiver up Damien’s spine, as for a second he was briefly transported back into his past. Bathed in mystical anticipation, there was almost a quiver of eagerness in the air. Eagerness for what?

Some of the half turned statues in the overgrown sections gave a sense of forlorn hope, of a brief enchantment; yet they had been carefully placed with the utmost attention. Nothing here was out of place. Under the misty moonlight, anything could happen. Damien took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of roses. This really was his garden of forgotten time.

Almost like a teardrop, there was a slight quiver to the air surrounding him, as his magic took on a life of its own. Emotions spilled, from the body that was taut as a string, opening the floodgates. There was such an agglomeration of magical beings here that the air was thick with the pulse of power. And that power had to be channelled somewhere. Gradually, in the background, a slow mournful piano tune threaded through the garden, building up speed gradually until it became that of a lilting waltz. Haunting melodies sang as the notes intertwined, sorrowful and lonely in the sad minor key.

It sent a shiver down Damien’s spine, as he, uncertain, pricked up his ears to listen to the tune that was centuries old. The tune he thought had died with him. And now, thinking about it even more, seemed to breathe more life into it. Like billows on a fire, the melody erupted into passionate crescendos, as Damien’s thoughts were projected into a spinning, twirling, whirlwind mass of dance.
Everything around him became a dreamscape, and faintly, he heard the gasp of those below him, but it was too late to hold back the memory for it washed over him like a tidal wave, threatening to overcome him. Blinking back the tears, he saw once again that hall of opulence, of sparkling gold and crystal, where every single person smiled a thousand smiles that were reflected in a thousand mirrors.

And yet, the waltz played on, oblivious. There he was, decked in similar finery, lilting to the beat with other vampires, females whom he hadn’t seen in centuries. He was laughing, making polite conversation, admiring a work of art, and dancing. There was an air about him, a spark which he’d lost over time. Damien couldn’t help but smile at the memory…but then he noticed that something wasn’t right. There were people here who hadn’t been there then- the winged man, the werewolf…the other girl…

Suddenly, with a forceful blast he slammed the memory shut, turning away. It was over, but…how dare they invade his personal thoughts! At once, he was flooded with emotions once again, only this time it was full of rage. Rage for everything he had suffered, rage for the unfairness of it all, rage for being the creature he was.

Taking off he flew through the woods, mind blank, running on pure emotion, even though he knew how dangerous it was. Dimly, he registered other monsters of the night, the hunters from the village tracking him down, but still he flew on, not caring in the slightest.

Just when he’d thought he could’ve attained pure happiness it had been snatched away from him and that had been the last straw. Flames licked at the back of his mind, as he was once again subject to the torture of being burnt by his own kind. He registered coming to a stop, and knew that he was slipping back into madness…he had to hold on…It had been too long since his last bout…he had to keep hold of himself…no more sudden emotions…swallowing painfully, he closed his eyes and let the flames subside, emptying his mind until it was the calm static, the lull before the storm.

He’d landed in a thicket. The lair of the beast is what his senses told him. Home of the infamous sadistic werewolf Chantelle De Rue, if she was still alive of course. She’d had no qualms about killing which he did have in his sane state, and he’d used her before, so he knew she was reliable.

“Chantelle?�

There was a rustling noise, then a yawn, of someone or something stirring.

“Yes, who is it? Who could wake me up at this ungodly hour?� There was a touch of darkness in that voice, of fur rubbing tantalisingly against the neck, and of an East European flavoured accent.

A pair of eyes glowed in the darkness, and then a figure could be made out, half chuckling. “My, my…could it really be our boy Damien?�

She came closer, still enveloped in darkness, which trailed around her like tendrils so he couldn’t quite make her out. Closing his eyes, he let her fingers trail across his face as she mapped out his features.

“You have changed a lot since I last saw you, boy. We all thought you’d gone to oblivion! But not I. I always knew that you would still be here somewhere. So much killing! Oh, there are so many monsters out there baying for your blood Damien, you have been such a bad boy!"

He tried to shake his head, but Chantelle's fingers against his chin held firm.

"Do not deny it! And…your face is blank, it has nothing of the emotion I remember you having.� Her voice rose and fell with the rich accented “r� sounds, each syllable was rolled off the tongue like creamy chocolate.

“Come to me, and let me kiss you better.�

Damien bowed his head, shaking it from side to side. “Not tonight Chantelle. I have a favour to ask of you.�

“A favour?� She laughed richly. “You abandon me for hell knows how long and you expect a favour from me?�

“Yes,� was all he said. Meeting her glowing eyes, which was still the only clear feature of her, Damien swallowed. “I want a being destroyed, quickly, before I come to my senses.�

“Oh yes?� There was a hint of amusement in her voice.

“It is a girl…�

((Sorry for the length of this post!!! And argh...what's going on with Damien? O_o))

Anonymous

The griffin statue made a frightening centerpiece for the gazebo and if not for that child-like wonder that Faraday always carried around with her one might assume a girl of sixteen who had seen nothing of the world would have jumped and run away when the griffin decided to jump down from that small flat pedestal he was perched on and make his way before Faraday looking at her curiously. One might have assumed she would be full of terror and dismay, but no, not one as herself who watched the statue move toward her crouching down on all haunches. Reaching out a child-like hand to touch the great beast Faraday started for a moment remembering Arashel’s words and dropped her hand immediately. Although that didn’t stop her from staring into those yellow cat-like eyes of his that glowed in the dark. Soon he was before her and the beast made a sudden movement as if he were bowing before her his head dipped at her feet.

“Great Djinn, how may I serve you?�

Faraday leaned forward a little, looked from left to right and then down at him again. “Are you talking to me?� she said.

“Yes,� the griffin said looking up at her. “Are you not the Djinn?�

“Yes, I was,� she said smartly sitting up into a perfect posture position and raising her nose into the air. “But not anymore. I left.�

“Yet Djinn you still are,� the griffin said grinning and sitting down by her feet.

“Oh phooey! Yes,� she said giggling and reaching out to touch the hard flat surface of his head. “Are you a real beast?�

“Real and breathing. And stuck here, unless you bond me to you.�

“Bond?�

“Yes. I am trapped here in this garden, unless you set me free.�

“Can I do such a thing?�

“Yes,� he said bowing his head to her. “You are Djinn, without darkness. Your light will be enough. And I will serve you as long as you need me.�

Faraday smiled brightly at him and then frowned, a soft sort of sad look. “You’re trapped? Oh poor beast. Tell me what is it you are and your name, and I shall set you free.�

He inclined his head to her in respect. “My lady I am Seth, one of the Sentinels that guard this garden.�

“Pleased to meet you Seth, I am Faraday,� she said sweetly touching his beak. “Why is it you are made of stone?�

“Because it keeps me tied to this place. If you set me free you shall see me in all my splendor. Shall it be then sweet Faraday?�

Faraday looked out into the garden where Arashel had left, a rustle of wind making her eyes dart back to Seth. “What must I do to help you my dear Seth?�

The creature known as Seth raised his stone head and gave to Faraday what appeared to be a smile. “Your word will be enough. Tell me you will set me free and from this day forth serve as my master, and I your servant. The bond will be instant.�

Faraday shook her head understanding and rose from her spot on the cold hard stone bench and raised a hand above his head. From this point of view Seth was more smaller than what he appeared to be at first, his head coming to her waist, although his body did show him to be massively strong in the trickle of moonlight that brought them both to life as they stood facing one another.

“Master and servant,� she said closing her eyes till they were small slits. The blue in her eyes flickered into soft melted gold and shone like sun sparkles in the curve and shadows of her face. “I give my word this night to Seth of the Sentinels to set him free, and from this day forth he shall be my servant, and I his master. Thus I bond him to me.� Giggles.

Seth bowed his head to her and took one step back as the stone melted away and glorious black and grey feathers emerged hidden underneath the rocky crevices of his body. He shook his head once sending a few feathers flying about them both and then sneezed as he drew near to her.

“Thank you my lady.� He turned his head towards the garden once more and then looked back to her. “I sense your life may be in grave danger. There is a scent on the wind that speaks ill of the light. Will you let me guide you from this place?�

“But Arashel said to stay here.�

“This Arashel does not know of the scent I am picking up. He is…distracted by his own arrogance. He cannot protect you well enough.�

Sighing Faraday looked around as if at any moment Arashel was going to poke his head in and give her a good scolding, but she found her dainty little feet carrying her further to the edge of the gazebo Seth by her right side walking along with her like her shadow.

“I’m not too sure.�

“Did you promise him?� Seth asked looking up at her.

“No.�

“Then you can leave. Your life demands action. Take it Faraday and trust me.�

Faraday nodded and let her right hand rest on the back of his neck as he led her down the steps of the gazebo her feet touching the small path that led up to it. Yet Seth stopped suddenly causing her to stop along with him and look down at him.

“What is it?� Faraday asked blinking at him.

“There are two nearby. One who needs help. By your light you can help them. I also smell the scent of wolves among the two. But the scent is harmless. This is the not the scent I picked up earlier.�

Faraday looked around and then bit her lip before she called out. “Who goes there?�

<center> * * *</center>

Arashel sneered as the beast lay dead at his feet. Well that had been an easy kill. Almost too easy as if…as if he had been lured out here distracted to leave Faraday behind. Enough! His mind was thinking up incredibly dumb conspiracies. That’s what happened after being on the road for so long with such a dim-witted girl. Faraday seemed to have rubbed off on him. Damn her!

Lowering his arm and drawing back in his seven-inch black nails that were sharp as any sword Arashel wiped the blood off on his pants from his hand, and headed back his booted feet trampling on the forest floor underneath. He didn’t take care to keep quiet or hide his presence. No actually the opposite. Based on the foul mood he was in, he welcomed the idea of another fight, for someone to just go ahead and rear their ugly little head and attack him. Bring it on!

Soon he made it back to the edge of the woods and looked up at the mansion before him. Something wasn’t right and that arrogant mood vanished replaced by one more cautious, his mind suddenly acute to his surroundings that pushed and heaved their shadows against his body. He stopped and stared his eyes drooping, fluttering, and eyes moving left to right as his mind took him ahead of his path as he stood still unmoving. In his head he was a dark beastâ€"his shadow selfâ€"trotting on all fours sniffing out the path for anything that seemed out of place. Growling low in his throat his shadow stopped and looked up at the gazebo and at the emptiness it provided.

Snap!

Arashel was back in his body his hands clenched into fists at his side.

Of course the girl would never listen to him! He should have made her vow to stay there or else! Then again…did the vampire come and steal her away? Had she been spirited away by something else? He wasn’t sure, but he had the strangest feeling of being tugged towards a certain path and quietly followed ithis booted feet making the delicate soundless footfalls that elves were well known for.

(ooc: Gah the whole Sentinels thing came to me, Damien could have known or not, up to you, or he set them up whatever. I was thinking they were tied to the garden to protect the garden or something, lol, if not they are just a pack of griffins that roam around the garden, lol. Works either way, and I'll edit it out when he says he guards the garden if not. I just started writing and that’s what my mind produced, lol. And now I have a new charrie, lol. And yes Faraday is talking to Russ and Vivian.)

Anonymous

Vivian jumped and her nose started sniffing. She could smell somethign different on the wind. Something that was old became young again, or something. She was to distracted by herself to really place anything properly. Her mind was racing. Her hands were still her paws her real self she use to be. She wanted to hug herself and forget the world, except the world had helped her get to this point to control herself.

She jumed again as she heard the young girls voice. The fur started to retreat into her skin and moved away and eventually her fingertips emerged. She frowned and shook her head a little angry at herself for letting them dissapear. She peered over the side of the balcony they had meandered onto and saw Faraday. She waved at her then her eyes moved to the thing next to her she jumped back. What was that?! she had never seen anything like it or even heard of it. She knew somethign strange was going on. She looked to Rus to see if he knew anything about this strange animal.

Anonymous

The voice seemed to startle Vivian, and I watched as her wolf paws turned to human hands again. She turned and waved, then drew back and looked at me with a questioning look in her eyes. I moved forward a little along the stone floor and looked out between two of the small stone pillars that held the side rail of the balcony up.

In the dim starlight I couldn't see much of any colour, but the outlines and shapes were perfectly visible in near monochrome. Below us was the girl, looking beaten even from this distance but otherwise unharmed. And beside her a large creature with the head and wings of a giant bird, sort of like an Aquilan, and then the body and hind legs of a lion. A griffin!

I'd seen griffins before; my people sometimes tamed them and rode them like humans with horses. But although my undependable empathy remained dormant I could see that this one's eyes, which to me appeared a steely grey with the faintest hint of yellow, shone with the intelligence of something much more than a mere beast. Of course, back home there were smarter griffins and dumber ones, but I had never heard of one as clever as this one seemed. I raised an eyebrow in surpirse. Had to be atleast an average person's intelligence, if not more!

"Think that's a griffin," I said to Vivian, looking up at her from where I'd fallen, "but unnaturally smart for one, so I'm not sure. I don't think he or she means to hurt us, though."

Anonymous

Chantelle De Rue, demoness extraordinaire. Though he suspected her of being a werewolf, Damien actually had no idea what she really was. It seemed she was an amalgam of wolf, vampire, demon, enchantress and hell knows what else. Who else could command the shadows as she could? Who else could wrap themselves in the darkness and walk in the daylight, invisible to all?

She had once been a formidable antagonist of the world, stirring up trouble wherever the wind blew, but over time she had mellowed. Of course time couldn’t change her personality and so her mischievous streak had been maintained through the years. Her dark husky beauty had also sustained the years. An amused expression played across her face as Damien outlined his request, pacing up and down restlessly.

“So your pride has been wounded?� Her rich voice slid around his leg, purring like that of a contented cat.

Damien stopped abruptly, fists clenched and back straight. The tension shimmered for a second before he spun around sharply, causing a leaf storm to brew about his feet.

“Not as such.�

“Then why do you request such an act? Does love hurt so much?� His eyes narrowed in response and he scrutinised her, but all he could see in her face was a genuine curiosity, and perhaps a slight dark twinkle to her eye. Chantelle really had matured. “Boy, for someone as old as you, you are still as young as spring. Your pride and your mannerisms are that of a petulant child! What happened to the vivid artist I knew?�

Damien had been following the melodic rise and fall of Chantelle’s voice, entranced. When he realised she’d stopped, it took him a second to collect his thoughts. “Even though he despised his very existence, that every waking moment was an eternity of pain to him? You honestly didn’t know him that well at all then, if that is what you remember of him.�

“Silly boy, to refer to yourself in the third person,� Chantelle said, chiding him. She slipped out of the shadows that had enclosed her like watery silk and brought her fingers up to his chin. “If that is what you wish then I shall do it.�

Without another word, she closed her eyes, and where the elusive figure had been before there was a pulsating wave of blue light as the figure metamorphosed. Hunching over, the limbs elongated as claws sprouted from the ends of them. A snout grew from the head, followed by furry ears, and a second later, Chantelle had completed transformation.

Panting, she trotted around once in a circle, raising her startling amber eyes up to meet Damien’s before loping away. Now that she was gone, Damien had time to breathe, and to collect his thoughts. Leaping up to a branch, he gazed at the milky moon, taking deep breaths. The moment of passionate madness had long since dissipated, and now he was left with an aching emptiness. Head in his hands, he broke down there and then.

What…what have I done?

To punish someone for his own weakness…his own insecurity…was outrageous. The very notion was bad enough, but to punish them to death? Who was he to determine who lived and who didn’t? Why should Faraday have to suffer because of his one moment of weakness?

Someone so pure, so…untainted. Perhaps he saw in her what he had always wanted to be, and still he cursed himself again and again, and the one who had made him. What secret could there be in this bloodline that had made it necessary for the vampire to turn him in the first place? What unspeakable power was it that lay hidden within himself?

Part of the despair was the fact that a millennium had passed, and still he didn’t know. He didn’t know the meaning of his very existence, and that is what hurt him the most.

“Why couldn’t I just die a normal man?!� Damien cried, falling to his knees. The branch sagged slightly, causing the leaves to spiral to the ground. To him, each one represented the death of a century of persecution, where jealous vampires and master vampires had sought out to destroy him, in fear of him and his secret. “For I’m the last of my bloodline, am I not?� He laughed aloud at that. “Me, all alone. Me against the world. Even my own kind shun me!�

The last part sent him into peals of laughter, and it was only when he became aware of the circle of hunters all pointing their flaming crossbows a him that he ceased to laugh. Meeting the eyes of each man slowly, he broke into laughter again. “Don’t you find it funny?� Wiping away a blood tear, he chuckled. “Your lives depend on your answer, you know.�

The men shifted uneasily. With a sudden intake of breath Damien shot up vertically into the air, saluting them as he flew away. The idea of slaying them had occurred to him briefly, but right now that thought made him sick. He had to find Chantelle and tell her to stop. There’s always another way!

---

The scent of organic dirt filled her nostrils as she pounded down the path, whipping past the brambles and bushes. Dancing, dancing…it felt so good to fly in this form. Closing her eyes, she let her nose guide the way; tips of the pads of her feet brushing the ground ever so gently as she sailed to the lilting melody of the moon.

So, this is where Damien resides, Chantelle thought as leapt over the crumbling wall, landing gracefully in the grounds of his mansion. Impressive. And of the girl…? Her eyes travelled from the two other beings to the girl to the maze in the corner. Eyes narrowing to slits, she suppressed a throaty if not a little bit sadistic chuckle. She had all the time in the world to make this kill, so why not have some fun whilst she was at it?

Damien had warned her of another being who was seemingly bound to her, a being whom he’d planned on destroying himself.

“If I destroy him then perhaps I will be welcomed into the vampire world again,� he mused.

“Suit yourself.� She replied, shrugging. What did it matter to her as long as he kept to his side of the bargain? “Don’t forget your promise to me.�

“Of course.�

Howling, she bounded suddenly across the grounds, causing the beings to leap into the air like startled rabbits. She’d calculated her approach, so that the only way the girl would be able to run would be into the maze. And then, the fun would begin…

---

Damien arrived just in time to realise something was up. The concentration of magic in the air had reached a critical point- he could taste the tang in his mouth, and looking down he saw in horror that the Sentinels had woken up. They’d been silent for ever so long, that he’d completely forgotten he’d set them there in the first place. What could’ve caused them to wake up? Unless…there was some other danger, something he was yet unaware of. Then again, Faraday had been with one of them, and had…bonded with one…

That girl! Those Sentinels were his! And to whom would they owe their allegiance to now? Thoughts of Chantelle out of his mind for a second, he swooped low to go question them. If he was lucky, then it would just be Faraday. If not, then he hoped that he was dead enough to survive whatever life threatening problem loomed over the horizon.

((Sorry for posting so late!))

Anonymous

(ooc: Ok took me a few days to edit, lol. Boy! This was a hard post to write cause I'm introducing a little of what Faraday is XD...and err not going to give much away I suppose. At least not now. Oh yeah anything you see with "-" dashes before and after the sentence is mind speech, lol)

Turning to face the two Faraday smiled warmly at Vivian and Rus waving back at Vivian happily. After everything that happened Faraday was sort of happy to see them both. When had she ever had the chance to meet new and interesting people? To be able to befriend them? Even though she knew nothing about them, she still felt captivated and drawn to them, and in her own way which came natural to her, cared for them on some level. Strange as it may sound, but she was always this way with people, even strangers.

“Pay attention Faraday,� Seth said raising one thick eyebrow at her sensing something in the air that felt heavy with danger, then abruptly snorted at Rus’ comment about griffins. He stood there by Faraday’s side faintly amused, his wings ruffling like little waves along his back. “Thank you for noticing,� he said in response to the ‘unnaturally smart’ comment before dipping his head toward Vivian and Rus. “My name is Seth and no I mean you no harm, as I can feel the same intentions from you two. Faraday?� he said turning to look at her, “I believe you should stay close to these two and do not go back into the mansion.�

“But what about Damien?� Faraday said squatting down to look Seth squarely in the eye. “I should go make sure he is okay.� She paused as if thinking deeply on something. “Arashel wanted to take us away from here, but…�

“And away we should be!�

Faraday paused to smile kindly down at the creature. “Something tells me not to leave Damien. Not to leave his side. I don’t care how dangerous it is.� Seth positively grimaced at those words. “No Seth. I’ve made up my mind. Arashel was terribly angry. I want to make sure Arashel hasn’t returned to harm Damien.� Her eyes shone with a steady warmth, liquid tears hidden behind dark blue that vividly came alive with the emotions she felt for him.

“Faraday…�

A howl stopped him short from finishing his sentence. The ground underneath them shook with the force of something approaching them at a quick and steady pace. In the shadows of the garden Seth’s eyes caught sight of the beast coming full force towards themâ€"towards Faraday!

“Run!� Seth said lifting off the ground until only his back legs scrapped along the stone floor, his wings open in response to the danger. He came back down hard on the ground in front of Faraday, his body shielding her from the beast drawing near and in the shadows Seth could pick up the scent of hunger and malicious intent. “Faraday! Move!�

Faraday stared at the approaching dark creature, unable to move at all. A strange sensation welled up in the pit of her stomach. Fear? She longed to run, yet felt her feet unmoving, legs trembling as she couldn’t help but keep her eyes locked on the lady beast moving toward her. Looking behind her she found the only escape seemed to be in the maze.

And yet she did not move, did not make any attempt to run even if her life demanded it. It seemed an eternity as Faraday stared down the beast. And fear retreated to courage. Anxiety to calmness. A strange powerful force deep inside her seemed to unravel at that very moment, keeping her rooted to that very spot, body standing straight to her full height, shoulders back and chin lifted as her blue eyes melted into golden pools again. Eyes that pierced Chantelle’s with a steady gaze, even as the griffin moved and sheltered her. And the look she gave Chantelle was so ancient, so thick with raw power the very air about her seemed to stand still. Faraday’s hair that the wind was caressing just a moment ago ceased in movement, suspended in time about her head. Even those very hairs on her head seemed unable to stand the sheer force of energy as they floated about her face and body.

“Faraday?� Seth said slowly looking at Faraday, not able to ignore the new power awakening inside the garden at the spot where Faraday stood. The very leaves from the trees nearby flickered by the force coming from her body. The ground cracking underneath both the girl and himself. Taking a step away from her, the energy coming from her body too great to be near he screamed out, “Faraaaaadaaaay!�

Seth couldn’t look in her eyes. That was the look of the True Djinn, of the First, the ancient soul that slept in the body of this innocent girl. Of what she was born as. It was the pure heart of one that could pierce like a sword deep down beyond flesh and bone. And the griffin could only step away from her with his head bent low as if he was not looking at the innocent girl before him, but at a creature so old and somewhat dangerous. Of a creature he had served beside so many, many centuries ago. No, impossible! He…his master couldn’t have awakened!

It was just in the twinkling of an eye. A moment of time. Faraday’s eyes searched until what Damien had done this night was shown to her. That untainted purity calling on such a power until the scene of Damien and Chantelle played before her as if she was there with them when it happened. Watching.

“I want a being destroyed, quickly, before I come to my senses…It is a girl.�

And those eyes of her, so pure with light flickered with understanding, and closed.

Silence stilled the air even as that howl tore through it and the creature still approached Faraday with all intentions to kill her. That great ancient soul falling to sleep once more inside her, and all that was left standing there was the frail girl.

Faraday let the silence fill her up as she remained unmoved, her mind back in her own body again not searching for answers…for she had found them. Answers she had found. It didn’t make sense to her, however it had happened. Even as she lifted her trembling hands palm side up before her, staring down at them she could not wrap her mind around what she had discovered. It was almost as if she had seen a forbidden thing. Something she wasn’t meant to see…or feel. And the foreign emotions overtook her body until all she could do was slump to her knees, face still bent towards her hands that no matter how hard she tried to stop, would not stop shaking.

However, there was one thing she did know...and that knowledge shook Faraday to her very core.

- Damien? Why did you do this to me? -  She said piercing Damien’s mind with her thoughts. - Why did you…betray me…? - Her voice cracked with a raw emotion she had never felt before and it tore through her heart as if a dagger had been pierced through her flesh.

Without warning she broke her mind connection to him and stood. The pain was enormous and somewhere deep in her soul and body, a place untouched, a sorrow so great welled up in her, numb and restless. She stood as crimson tears ran bloody streaks down her pale face. Damien had…had only moments before had touched her with such gentleness and care, as if she was a fragile thing intended to be cherished…and now in the same night had ordered her death. For her light to be put out.

Just like the others, a deep rich voice spoke in her mind and only to her. A voice so foreign because it was clearly male, yet Faraday knew it was part of her. Will you stay or run?

“Faraday!� Seth yelled again as he faced Chantelle and decided to take her head on. “Run!� At this rate they both would be dead.

(ooc: Eerr a lot of what Faraday did with the mind seeking thing happened in a split second of time really as Chantelle was coming at her. Like all that seemed to happen so fast and then she just slumped to her feet. HEH. I liked the idea of Faraday knowing what Damien did, the visuals were so nice in my head I had to go with it. Hope that was okay?I thought it would add a little depth or something to their relationship or something, lol. If not let me know.)

Anonymous

Vivian's nose lifted into the air a few moments before the lady beast appeared. The scent entered her nostrils and she blinked, she had smelled something similar right before the woman had cast the spell on her. It was that dark smell. That strange things that smelled...evil, dark, menacing, and when she appeared she surely was those things. Vivian grabbed Rus then she looked towards Faraday and her eyes widened and something felt older, but a weird pure feeling. As the ground cracked she pulled Rus back next to her.

As she felt some of the power hit her whatever was radiating from her she hit the ground and she flashed inbetween woman and wolf a few times. Her heart felt like ti was gonna explode. She breathed hard panting her tongue hanging out and she hit the ground on her side stopping in wolf form and blackness hit her.

Anonymous

I shuddered and clung tightly to Vivian as a howl pierced the air, fighting the werewolf side of me that reared its ugly head at the sound with every bit of strength I had. My eyes, clenched tightly shut, opened after a moment to take in the sight of a demented parody of a wolf heading for the girl below and Seth moving to shield her.  

Then the air itself stood still from the ancient untold power of something â€"or perhaps of someone- of incorruptible innocence, so pure that the demon blood that flowed through my veins seethed and burned in a way that only the lakes of Hell in their frothing, boiling fury could have been capable of. My lips parted in a cry of pain that at some point changed to become a lupine growl before dying away to nothing and my legs caved in against my will leaving me to land hard on my knees, my head lowered and fists clenched.

Seth’s repeated warnings for Faraday to run and the steady pounding of her assailant’s paws became distant and barely audible, and the entire horrible scene faded from view until I felt Vivian’s strong arms pull me toward her again. A mere fraction of a second later the flaring agony began to gradually subside. Breathing hard and fast, I slowly raised my head again and opened my eyes to see that Viv had fallen unconscious in her wolf form beside me and, on the ground, the girl was standing with dark tears streaking her face. I unclenched my fists and found that where my fingernails had cut into the palms of my hands, there were smudges of blackened charcoal where there should have been small pools of blood.

Suddenly a command shouted in my harsh native tongue tore the sky, and I looked up to see a huge flock of Aquilans approaching.

“Soru hekel cri ix lopa ze ix kuirszca!�

Had no one noticed their arrival among the rest of the surrounding chaos? It was too late. In the time it took to blink, frightful crosses between a human’s hands and a predatory bird’s cruel talons prepared to kill, each avian warrior either pulling together a ball of magical energy or notching a silver arrow.

Paralyzed by fear, I watched in terror as four or five of them targeted each one of us, not discriminating between who they hit, while others protected those who were attacking. Without thinking I sprung to my feet and threw myself in front of the unconscious Vivian, taking the blows aimed at her. Everything went white as two bursts of magic hit me simultaneously, and I was unaware of the third one that struck the rail of the balcony, of the arrow that bit into one of my outstretched wings, and the of the shots meant for me that hit the stone floor where seconds before I had been kneeling. For a moment there was nothing but pure agony before I came back to my senses and discovered that I was lying face-down on the stone and the Aquilans were about to begin another volley of magic and arrows. The orange electricity of the last hit still crackled around me and my form was still wracked with spasms of pain when I stood up, hoping to hell that those who had targeted Faraday and Seth (and what of the blonde man? Where had he gone off to?) had missed.

�Dah siere mezti ky? Hurva soru prata ze marrho ky!� I challenged them in a shaking voice, feeling a white-hot pang of fear as my heart pounded hard against my chest. “Hazetu siere rono xabna jy? Ix siere ky ve dah xabni soru hekel!�

Some stopped and looked at eachother. Tears burned at the backs of my eyes, for these people were, to me, former neighbours, teachers, even the parents of childhood friends- and now they thirsted after my tainted blood. It didn’t occur to me at the time that my crimes must have been discovered.

It was at that second that a shape I hadn’t noticed before dropped from the sky on wings that were impossibly more like fins. As the creature got closer to me I recognized him, and hope rose within my soul. He must have followed them here, I thought.

“Father!�

“Rus! Son, what in Satan’s name have you gotten yourself into?� he called back, his voice expressing surprise and concern.

“Silly fish-boy, your son is a murderer!� one of the Aquilans replied before I could.

“What?!� Disbelief showed in his eyes as he looked from the avians to me and back.

I hung my head, unable to meet his eyes. “I… I tried so hard not to, but… I didn’t know how else to survive… I was dying… “

The words lingered, echoing long after I had said them, the hollow sincerity and sadness in my voice affirming my guilt and yet pleading for forgiveness when I knew could not be forgiven. Too weak from emotion and from the blows I had taken to stand anymore, I fell once again, fighting desparately to sustain consciousness.

(OOC: the translations for the stuff said in Aquilan are listed below.)

“Soru hekel cri ix lopa ze ix kuirszca!�- “Kill first the werewolves and the half-breed!�

�Dah siere mezti ky? Hurva soru prata ze marrho ky!�- “You want me? Then come and get me!�

“Hazetu siere rono xabna jy? Ix siere ky ve dah xabni soru hekel!�- Why waste time hunting them? It is me you seek to kill!�

Anonymous

“…we don’t know…�
“…we only know what we are told…�
“…held in time the threads lead to this house…�
“…who are we to prophesize…�

“Stop bowing and answer my question…please.� Perhaps it was the slightly desperate plea at the end which made the other Sentinels pause in the midst of their frolicking game of elusive answers.

One of them stepped forward and stretched it’s wings, eyes sparkling in the cold, night air as it sank to its knees. It looked ancient, and though it may have been merely romantic speculation but Damien perceived an ancient knowledge deep within its eyes, as if this Sentinel had been a spectator of time. He found himself inclining his head to the Sentinel out of mutual respect.

“We are the watchers of the night. For aeons we have slumbered, to be awoken tonight to serve the terms of our contract.�

Damien nodded, never taking his eyes of the being. Everything the Sentinel said so far had made sense. They’d been guarding this garden when he’d arrived, and no matter how many times he’d tried to talk to them, he hadn’t been able to get a single syllable out of any of them. It seemed the pervious owner of this mansion had had a secret to hide too.

“You know as much as we do; that the time of our wakening heralds a great destructive force and that we are here to protect.�

Damien raised his arms in frustration, drumming each syllable in with mounting fatigue. “Protect. Us. From. What?�

He wouldn’t admit it, but the loss of those soul shards was hitting him a lot harder than he’d anticipated. Add to that the energy drain of several weeks of fighting the sun, and maybe then they would begin to understand how he was feeling. Turning away from the Sentinel, he hoisted himself onto the rough stone edge of a fountain and caught his reflection in the surface of the water. The whole “vampires don’t have reflections� myth was just a myth. Leaning in so that his face was almost touching the water, he stared at the circles beneath his wide eyes, running a finger over the sickly paleness of his skin. An even bigger wreck than ever; the turbulent emotional battleground within had spread through him like a virus whilst he’d been out gallivanting.

“Curse you Arashel!� He slammed a fist into his reflection, breathing hard as a spray of fine liquid droplets showered across him.

A weight on his shoulder made him turn around. The Sentinel had placed a paw upon his shoulder, enfolding him with its wings. “You have a troubled spirit, my friend. There is a darkness within you which you try so hard to hide.�

Pushing away, Damien broke free from the Sentinel’s embrace and pounded across the lawn, blood tears flying in his wake. Anything to get away. How dare he!
Suddenly, without warning, Faraday’s voice broke through his mind, causing him to recoil in pain at it’s simple purity.

Damien? Why did you do this to me? Why did you…betray me…?

“I’m weak, I know, I’m so weak!� He sobbed, sinking to his knees as he yelled to the heavens. Head bowed, he wiped furiously at the tears, knowing full well that the Sentinels were still within range. Kicking off, he ran further, blind to everything but his emotions.

It was always the same. The one who’d loved his paintings more than him, the one who’d slept with him to gain the secret of his bloodline, the one who’d left because they weren’t strong enough to face what he was…and for the first time when it could’ve gone alright, he’d gone and fucked it up with his paranoia. Maybe she did care for him? Had cared, would’ve been more appropriate.

It wasn’t true what they said; the lessons of the heart do grow more difficult with time. In the midst of his self pity, he felt the air around him vibrate, as if the whole world was holding its breath for a split second, before the ruffle of wings whooshed past him, leaving an after breeze to mess up his clothes and hair.

Raising his head blearily, he saw the disappearing formation of Sentinels and knew there and then that something was wrong. That and the chorus of screams which filled the air.

Chantelle! Stop, please, it’s over. You can’t win against them all.

There was no return answer.

“Chantelle? Faraday?�

Pain forgotten, Damien pounded after the Sentinels, who swept across the gardens, flying West…in the direction of the maze…looking up, he saw a different formation of winged beings swoop from the sky, targeting…

Frozen, in shock, it took a second for him to realise just exactly what was going on. And even then he didn’t know. “What in Hell’s name is going on?!?!�

((Wow everyone else’s posts are really amazing! Lazuli yours almost made me cry when I read it, and I never expected this turn of events. Happy New Year to you all too!))

Anonymous

Ooc: Err sorry took so long, dead muse x_x This post or well their conversation is long, but oh well really couldn't edit it down into anything shorter, lol.

“She will rip your throat out.�

That voice! A voice like a sword piercing through the chaos whispered like black silk in Faraday’s ear. And before she knew she was being pulled backwards into the maze wall by two strong hands; one clamped over her mouth muffling a scream. Darkness came next in the form of rustling black cloth tossed over her head. Pale hands the color of death bracing her fragile body to that of another behind her, head tilted back resting along a slender shoulder, golden brown hair cascading down her bosom in tangling waves.

That scent. As if lilies had wilted and turned to ash and the body behind her had bathed in that scent, allowing it to penetrate every fiber of his body. An aroma that caused her eyelashes to flutter in memory.

Arashel.

Only he could smell like a tainted mixture of life and death.

“Be still, or the beast will tear your throat out,� he whispered in her ear again, his mouth so close to her skin, wet lips pressing into her neck. Strong arms wound their way around her waist holding her to him as they silently stood there, the sounds of angry voices seeming to fade into the background. The cloak he was wearing shifted gently, falling to cover her head and shoulders prettily, casting them both into shadow.

Where they were standing she could not tell, but they were inside the maze…somewhere. Twisting her neck a little she looked up at the elf with wide eyes taking every detail of him in.

“Are you alright?� she whispered.

“More than alright,� he said with a childlike sort of grin that caused a shiver to run down her back. “I made a way for us. We can go now and leave this place.�

“Leave this place?� she whispered back twisting a little to pull away from him, but his hands held her in place.

“Do not move, or the beast will catch your scent,� he said looking down at her, and for a moment blue eyes met the deep amethyst of his.

“You’ve always smelled nice,� she said looking away and leaning her head back against him.

“Eh?�

He seemed genuinely surprised at her closeness, the way she seemed to relax against him as she spoke.

She smiled. “You’ve always smelled nice I said.� He shrugged. “Oh no, Seth!� she said softly jerking to look at him. “We’ve got to go back for him.�

“That griffin?� he said cocking an eyebrow. “You don’t need him Faraday.�

“But I bound him to me.�

“I know,� he said grinning ever so slightly. “He can take care of himself. He chased after us. He is a very good servant.�

“This isn’t funny Arashel. Something…bad is happening. Who were those people and that…beast who was coming at me?�

“So many questions…none of it concerns us.�

“Please Arashel this isn’t a game. And stop smirking like that!� she said raising her voice a little. “You seem a little…overconfident…� she said raising an eyebrow.

“That’s because I am,� he said shifting on his feet a little pressing his back further into the maze wall. He still held that cocky smile on his face like his own personal banner. “So, do you wish to leave?�

Faraday wasn’t expecting him to ask her with that tone of voice. That voice of his that told her this time he was serious, and he wanted an answer.

“Something happened Arashel,� she said rolling her head a little against his chest. “I felt…Damien betrayed me. He sent that beast to kill me. Somehow, I found out, I saw it. Saw and heard what he did…and it hurt. I felt…sick,� she said pressing her lips together, her stomach twisting into a knot inside her. “Despair. Like nothing I had ever felt before…then I cried. And,� her voice raised a little, “what are you doing?�

Carefully he touched the dry blood on her face, rubbing flakes between his fingers and letting the wind carry it away. “I know Faraday. We are connected after all. You need to be…more careful.� His voice was soft and oddly kind. “Now you know. Now you know that, that beast…that vampire will not give you what you seek. Yet let me be free, give me back my freedom Lady Faraday, and I truly in return will make…you free.�

What did Arashel mean by that? He was speaking in riddles. Words that didn’t make sense to her. Yet one thing was certain, his only motive from day one had been to set them apart. So that they may part, and it still was his main goal. Arashel didn’t like being chained to her and the longer they did stay together, the more frightening he became. Frightening because Faraday truly believed Arashel would and could do anything to get what he wanted. And for some reason, she felt with the way he was smiling like that, like he had not a care in the world, that he had found the way to do so.

It was so quiet now. But maybe it was because at the thought, all sound seemed to be put-out like someone had thrown the entire world into a barrel of water. Even the wind that nipped at her dress seemed hollow and without a voice. “What did you do?� she asked shifting to face him, body to body, his scent still strong against her. “Arashel. You did something. Something terrible. I know it. Tell me,� she said pleading with him, one hand against his chest.

Heat. Something familiar. It felt like…like…

Damien!

As if she had been burned Faraday pulled away and looked up at him, an odd mixture of curiosity and fear filling up every features of her face. Arashel’s arm loosened around her waist, and yet he did not let her go. His eyes seemed distant, so very far away from where she was at and for a fleeting moment she swore she saw pain hidden in his eyes.

“You still have not answered my question,� he said softly pulling her back to him, a hand resting on top of her head. “Such a child,� he said chuckling. "Don’t you know as long as you are close to me, you are safe. You should be thankful I pulled you out of that bloody mess before you were killed.�

Faraday lifted her blood stained face to the night sky, eyes lifting along with the sadness that felt rooted deep inside her like a great sycamore tree. Somehow that close connection she had with Arashel lifted, that safe feeling he always gave her fleeing as that hollow pain returned.

All she could think, all she could feel, was that dark place inside Damien her mind and soul had discovered. Her eyes had been opened to the truth he was not the angel she had thought him to be. Arashel had warned her. Had rescued her, and yet Arashel seemed more of a monster he. Even if that monster at times--she glanced up at Arashel blinking slowly--treated her with a little dignity and warmth. And looking at him now, Faraday knew he was keeping something from her. Something vital that tied him permanently to this place.

“You’re escaping,� she said staring at him hard. “You did something to…to Damien. Didn’t you?�

“Of course,� he said giving her a wicked smile. “It still would not have mattered Faraday. Damien did what he did to you because he is a monster. You might not want to see it, but tonight you had no choice. You saw it. So…what will you do now? Sit here and nurse his pathetic wounds or save your own life? The very life he tried to take!�

It was not the end of the world. It was not the end of all things. There was more than just this darkness in him. There had to be. What had happened earlier was not a lie. Not just in that fleeting moment when she had touched a sweet raw emotion within Damien through his kiss, but her own eyes had witnessed it before they had even touched. There was something inside him that seemed…she wasn’t sure, thirsting for something that was unlike this darkness she had touched the moment he betrayed her.

“He is a monster…what right does a monster have to you?�

“He doesn’t,� Faraday whispered after a moment of standing there, the sound of Seth’s screaming her name becoming more clear to her as she came back to her senses. “But a true monster doesn’t have a soul, does he? A monster gives it away…�

“Faraday,� he said taking her by the wrist forcefully. His head lifted as if hearing something. Something close to their position.

“No, I must know, must know for sure…� Faraday whispered turning away from him, breaking the hold he had on her. And for some reason he let her go.

“Faraday…� There was a note of sorrow in his voice. “Do you know what you are doing? You are risking your life…for something as stupid as hope.�

“I can’t. I can’t Arashel,� she said lifting her hands into fists at her heart. “For one moment I felt him. I felt what he did to me...and I understood him too. Yet...I can’t hate him. I want to know what happened. Why he did it. And I will get an answer, but for now, Damien needs me." She smiled a little. "And that’s why, I can’t run. Maybe I sound stupid,� she said looking down to the ground. “And maybe I’m wrong. Maybe people like him can’t change. But I can do something and that is to stay for now.� Sighing she cupped his face tenderly. “Do this for me Arashel. Just this one thing. And I swear. No, I promise I will do whatever you say…after everything is over. I will go with you and I won’t be any more trouble for you. This I swear to you. Just…help me help him. Arashel, help Damien.�

“Do you know what you ask Faraday?� he said narrowing his eyes a little, his eyes like cold hard steel trying to penetrate her, to see what exactly the girl was thinking. The motives behind such a request. God this girl would be the end of him. Damien wasn't his friend. Hell he wasn't even a concern or care for Arashel. He just didn't give a damn.

And he was surprised and somewhat appalled to the answer he was about to give her. “Fine, go back and I will follow. And yes, after I help your poor pitiful friend, I will take you away from this place. Far away.� I will get what I want in the end.

(err okay so Faraday vanished into the wall of the maze and taken far away from the main drama, and um Seth ran after her looking for her. Chantelle is free to find Seth and seriously wound him, lol Faraday's scent was sort of hidden by Arashel's "death" scent, hehe. However Arashel does have a scent all his own that can be smelled out.)

Anonymous

Vivian opened her eyes slowly and groaned and saw Rus jump in front of her. She groaned and started to stretch up onto her four legs. She howled as she saw Rus laying there. She pushed her muzzle against him and gave a soft whimper. Her eyes lifted to look around and saw chaos. What were these creatures? Her eyes narrowed. She felt scratches on her but did not know where they had come from it was complete chaos.

She heard  the strange language and it sounded strangely like she had heard it somewhere before but her brain was gone.  She froze and her eyes locked on the creatures. She knew she needed to get Rus out of here, but she could not move.

Anonymous

I turned my head a little and attempted to smile when I saw Vivian in her wolf form, but failed and had to settle for a grimace. The world began to fade and I didn’t notice that Faraday had vanished again or that Blondie was back, or even that two clawed feet had landed on the balcony, but I stirred and tried in vain to lift my head when I felt the touch of her muzzle.

A large webbed hand took my arm and a familiar soft, somewhat shaky voice said something unintelligible. When I didn’t respond the owner of the hand shook me until my eyelids fluttered open. My sight was so blurred that when combined with my colour blindness it made everything just a solid sheet of grey.

“Huh?�

“I said, you only have enough soul left to last you about another ten minutes,� my demon father repeated slowly, “Already you’re starting to slip away. If you’re hit again…�

Of course! I wasn’t due to kill again until I turned fifteen, but the injuries I’d sustained and the Aquilan magic had hastened the decay of my soul. This was what had gotten me into this mess in the first place: my life-flame would burn low over time, and the only way to rekindle it- the only way to save my own life- was to steal someone else’s. This curse was inherited, passed down through the generations to anyone with demon blood. It was the price a demon paid for living on earth.

As my vision cleared and things swam into focus, I caught sight of the Aquilan warriors through the translucent skin of his dragonlike wings. They targeted everyone, but pointed a couple of extra shots my way. There was no way I could dodge it this time, and what about everyone else?

Anyone who looked at me would notice that since taking the blows meant for Vivian, I had become transparent like a ghost. I looked down at my hands and found that I could see every little crack in the balcony stone through them. That was a bad sign.

The wings I above my head folded, and the azure form (I could see only grey, but I knew from the last time we met that his skin was sky blue) of Rivervein- that was my father’s name- climbed the cracked rail of the balcony and jumped off head-first. In mid-air he shifted and it was nothing like the coarse and brutal werewolf transformation. It was graceful, quick, painless and looked like it required no effort at all. He just flowed from one form to the other as if he had always been part of the new creature, and it had always been a part of him.

I’d seen beasts like the one he changed into before in the rivers back home, but they were tiny compared to this one, and they didn’t have the webbed feet or the two huge triangular fins that jutted out sideways from the shoulder blades. Maybe they were wings- if so then he had a wingspan of about twelve feet in this form, and they were still much too small in proportion to his body to be any good for flight. The earth split as he landed, and he raised a thick tail with a webbed fin on the end to shield me and Vivian. But internal danger couldn’t be kept at bay like the Aquilans could.  

Any minute now, I knew, I was going to go crazy and attack nearest living thing and drain his or her life force. I’d done it before. It was an inevitable symptom of being this close to burning out that the temptation became impossible to resist, like what would happen if a vampire denied themselves blood until they were near death. Only having your soul sucked out was a lot worse than death by vampire bite. I wouldn’t have wished it on anybody, and yet I had inflicted it on people before. I looked guiltily at Vivian and then glanced up in time to see our protector’s tail sweep reflexively forwards then backwards and knock some of the warriors who couldn’t get out of the way in time out of the air. It looked almost like he’d done it by accident. To my horror, at that exact moment I felt the frenzy of the terror of death seize me and take control of my actions.

The fallen Aquilans happened to hit the wall just behind Vivian and dropped to the balcony, most of them broken and bleeding. I reached out, touched one by the wing, and welded his or her soul to mine so there was no way of escaping. An observer would have seen only that we both froze like statues as I dragged them to the spirit plain to do battle. It wasn’t a long fight, as I was strengthened by an urgent desperation- survive survive survive survive survive- that had saved me and destroyed others before. In a matter of seconds (time passed much faster on the spirit plain) it was over; one of us came back dead and it wasn’t me. I started attacking them two at a time and they were all corpses in less than a minute.

I stood up and took a step toward Vivian- a sure, steady step, nothing like the shaky steps I had taken to get here- before my mind was fully cleared of the urgency of near-death, but luckily my sanity returned in time to stop me from attacking her. But how would she react to seeing what I’d just done? Rivervein was going to freak. He’d probably blame himself for not around to teach me how to survive without killing. The surviving Aquilans, somewhere between thirty and thirty-five of them (I’d taken eight victims), had stopped attacking and stared in shock: they knew of my past crimes, sure, and that I left no mark of violence on my victims, but they hadn’t known my motives or my exact methods. They sure did now, poor buggers.        

(OOC: Not sure if I was clear enough in the post, but Rus' dad turned into a giant crocodile thing.)

Anonymous

Something thudded into Damien, something sharp and painful that smelled of insatiable blood. It sent him careening off course, so that he smashed into a statue that no amount of renovating would ever fix. Badly shaken, Damien shoved the creature away from him with a glare, and got to his feet, wiping the dust from his thighs, but when he realised which statue had been broken, that didn’t help his rage much. His memory of Lorraine, who could’ve brought so much into his existence if she hadn’t been killed by those robbers, now reduced to rubble.

“Whoever you are, intruder,� Damien growled, fighting to keep his anger in check as he advanced towards the being, “you won’t live to regret that you ever set foot upon my territory.�

The next minute was a blur of madness, as he lost all senses and sunk into the oblivion, the peaceful place he went whenever things became too much. The same place he’d went to after Jillian wasn’t strong enough to become a vampire. The same place, during that intense village slaughter. With a growing sense of horror, Damien came to himself, slowly, as fragments of that night pieced back together. Waking up, with no recollection of why he was stood there, surrounded by all those dead bodies. So many bodies, all drained of blood. And only the fire was enough to make him flee. All those bodies…hidden in his mansion. The skull of the little child still haunted him, especially during the first days after he’d placed the soul shard there.

And now, the scent of the blood was calling to him, bringing him back, to a mass of sticky feathers, limp limbs and the smell of his own blood. He let the dead body fall to the ground, taking a sharp breath as his muscles gave way. Damien’s head slumped forward, and blearily, he took in his limp arm. His eyes lazily followed the edges of the redness that was blossoming upon his shirt…one of his best shirts. You just couldn’t get shirts like these anymore. Not ones with decent Connlaoth lace.

I’ll have to get an order in tomorrow, Damien thought dully. Tomorrow when I can walk in the sun.

He’d been awake for over forty-eight hours now, with one crisis after another. Not even a vampire could cope with that. And yet he couldn’t shake the feeling that he was being drained.

“It’s that damn Arashel,� he muttered, laying his good arm out to steady himself. That thought, and the fact that another scream tore through the air roused Damien from his stupor and gave him the resolve to continue. Inviting beings over was never a good idea; they always brought trouble. His cover was all but blown now. Once he’d gotten rid of these invaders he’d have to deal with the human hordes that would inevitably come the next day.

“Chantelle!� He yelled hoarsely. He couldn’t see that damn shapeshifter anywhere. Glancing at the battle that was taking place, he half flew half limped straight through, not bothering to avoid anything that came in his way. This stubbornness resulted in many more knocks and fresh blood, something that he couldn’t afford to lose any more of.

Ignoring the rest of the battle, he scanned the grounds restlessly. Bodies littered the lawn, lying in dark pools which irked Damien somewhat. A part of him yearned to go down and feed; it took a great deal to look away. If he knew Chantelle, the strategist, then she would try and head Faraday off to...the maze.

Damien cradled his arm in an attempt to stem the blood flow and swooped low, enjoying the rush of the wind through his hair. It woke him up somewhat, made him remember the thrills of flying over moonlit scenery, where it was just him and the whispering trees. The last of his bloodline, and the last place under the moon which would accept him without prejudice or pain was the rugged wilderness. During his non-human blood phase, he’d taken to hunting rabbits, trying his utmost best to not kill the soft helpless beings. It was a good plan in principle but it hadn’t worked because no matter how much blood he drank he was still thirsty.

Brushing the tops of the hedge maze, he spotted Chantelle in wolf form as she loped across the ground.

“Chantelle!� He hissed, dropping onto her with a quiet thud.

At this, Chantelle growled and made a move to throw him off.

“It’s Damien,� he said through gritted teeth.

Chantelle’s growls subsided and she tossed her head, indicating for him to get off her. He obliged and she shifted back, darkness remoulding into the form of a smouldering woman. Her dark husky beauty never failed to bring a gasp from Damien’s throat.

“Well?�

Hanging his head, he muttered something that was incoherent.

“What?� She demanded, hands on hips.

“I said, stop this. There is no more need for any more killing.�

Chantelle took a step back, then regained her composure as her eyes narrowed. “You have grown soft over these years, boy.�

Damien said nothing, and kept his eyes averted from her. He shrugged, glancing at the treetops that swayed and danced to the battle cries.

“I still expect payment, and seeing as you have denied me the kill I want the payment tripled.� She didn’t look too happy, but a grim smile played about her lips.

“But of course,� Damien said quietly. “When would you like your first payment?�

Chantelle thought for a moment, cocking her head to one side. “I think now is a good enough time as any.�

Looking like quite the defeated man, Damien stepped forward, all the bravado drained from his body.

“As you wish.�

Chantelle’s eyes gleamed in the gloom.

“Kiss me.�

Damien stepped forward, and met the woman, who stepped away from him, tutting.

“Do it willingly, as you once did.�

With the sigh of the defeated, Damien took her in his arms, wrapping her warm body close to him.  He brushed away the waves of her hair from her face, and injecting the passion he once felt for her into his eyes, he kissed her with the vitality of a drowned man. Breaking away, he saw a reflection of himself in her eyes, and saw that both their cheeks were flushed. Both of them were breathing rapidly too.

Turning away, he muttered. “Satisfied?�

â€œNot as half as much as I’ll be when I collect the next payments,â€? Chantelle murmured as she slipped off into the shadows, becoming one with the night.

Alone in the maze, with his heart pounding in his ears, he set off to find Faraday and apologize for ever coming into her life.

((Didn’t realise it was my turn to post! *cries*))

Anonymous

((Omg...memories o.o This is oooooold. We should do like a...sequel and slowly reveal what happened or something. I miss Twitch Nightshade! x.x))