Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A noble tantrum

Started by Goldie, September 05, 2006, 12:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

"You're doing what?" Nomarie exclaimed, leaping from her seat.  Her teal eyes were alight with a rage far exceeding her small frame as she glared across the fine, hand-carved oak table and straight into her father's eyes.

"You know I do not like to repeat myself" he drawled in his monotonous voice, "I am retiring and Mathios shall inherit my estate."  He did not even flinch as a crystal vase flew across the room and shattered against the wall by his left ear.  Nomarie's temper was not something new and the household had become use to it over the last nineteen years, even though they were not particularly fond of cleaning up the glass shards that came hand in hand.

The young woman could not believe her ears.  This was a dream!  It had to be!  After all, no one would dare give away her rightful inheritance!  Especially to that bastard of a son her father begot on one of his trips to the brothel.  That bastard whom he had taken under his wing so he would not starve after his mother passed away from some whores' disease!  How dare he!

"You dare insult me?" she shrieked, lunging for another adornment in the room which went sailing into the mantle a few moments later sending shards of pottery exploding in all directions, "You give away what is rightfully mine to that...that...that THING!!"

CRASH

A goblet soared through the window.

"That thing" he replied stoically, not even blinking as the window shattered, "Is my son.  When I brought him into this house he ceased to be homeless and he I trust with my possessions."

That was it.  Nomarie could not help the hysterical laughter that burst from her lips.  She laughed long and hard, clutching her sides as they cramped and supporting herself on the velvet chair beside her.  This could not be happening!  It was too funny!  No noble in his right mind would give away everything for a bastard child!  It was all a farce!  It had to be!  Nothing else would even begin to make sense.

"A whore's unwanted whelp" she gasped through her giggles as they began to subside, "You jest, Father!  A sore jest, but I see through it now!  I shall inherit the manor while he inherits the stables!  Ah!  I dearly hope you have not given him false hope in your mirth!"

His green eyes watched the scene without interest, not bothering to interrupt her fit of hysterics.  She was proving his decision wise.  Proof that women were far too unstable to run an estate!  Their minds were too fragile to encompas the responsibilities!  Mathios on the other hand, he had a level head.  Despite him being illegitimate, there was nothing wrong with his mannerisms, nothing wrong with his logic, and once formally adopted, no one would question the succession.  After all, a man should run the household, and he wanted it to be a man of his own blood, not a girl.

"You will marry." he was blunt.  Enough of his time had been wasted already, "Even as we speak he is on his way and wedding plans have been arranged.  In a fortnight you and your husband shall leave this estate and you shall be welcome among your new household as its Mistress."

She paled, laughter halting in the back of her throat as the severity of the situation hit her with full force.  This was no jest...her father truly meant to give Mathios the manor...he truly meant to give her away to some noble and have her shipped off like chattel, away from her home...away from everything she had hoped to have one day....everything that should have!

Too shocked for words, she stormed out of the room.  Tears stained her cheeks as she rushed back to her chambers where she slammed the door behind her nearly scaring her servant to death as she pressed her back against the door and slid down to sit on the floor, wrapping her arms around her legs.  Any other time she would have worried about wrinkling her copper gown, but now all she wanted to do was cry.  Her world was turned upsidedown in the matter of minutes...and nothing she could do would change that....nothing....

Except....

"Anise" she snapped, raising her head from her knees where she had been smothering her face.  Her servant was by her side in an instant, kneeling beside her lady lest she be standing above her, which certainly would not fit her station.

"Yes, m'lady?" she asked, her common blonde hair was pulled back in a common braid, much unlike Nomarie whose black hair was coiled and pinned elegantly to her noble crown and shimmered with shades of blue and green when she moved her head.  Fae blood, that's what her father had said at least.  Her mother had been part Fae and had passed on her beauty and size to her only child, Nomarie.  Nomarie was certain that had her mother been alive, this predicament never would have occured.

"Go into town.  Find me someone, anyone, who is willing to go on a journey wreathed in peril and uncertainty.  Someone who is not afraid to kill if necessary."  Anise's eyes widened as she listened to her mistress.

"A...a mercenary, m'lady?" she squeaked.

"Aye," Nomarie sighed.  She hadn't wanted to use that term, "Mercenary, assassin...anyone!  Tell him he shall be well paid and bring him back here on the hour."  She stood, running her hands along her full skirts, her nimble fingers tracing the embroidery that shimmered in the sunlight filtering through the open window  "Oh" she just remembered, "Speak of this to anyone, and you will wake without a tongue on the morrow.  Now go."

Anise was already out the door.  She would not tell anyone.  She knew her mistress well enough to hold her threat as truth.

ooc:  There ya go!  Anise is an NPC so you can have her find your charry and do whatever and stuff!  ^_^  It's all up to you from here!  Hope this wasn't too long or boring....XD

Anonymous

He hated the outer city. Everything was too noisy. Everything was too cramped. Everything was too frantic. All around him, people were running in and out of shops with the firm belief in their heads that whatever they were doing was the most important thing on the planet. Everyone was moving too fast to enjoy life. Everyone was too self-centered. Everyone was too noisy. The customers who were bartering with the shopkeepers had to shout to be heard, and shopkeepers had to shout back. The clattering of a horse's hooves could always be heard, punctuated with the ring of a blacksmith's hammer every now and then. The hawkers shouting their wares were the most annoying, although Crono found it a little amusing that each and every one of them were yelling that their ribbons were made of the finest silk or their needles of the purest iron, or something to that effect.

Although there were many people out on the street going about their all-important business, a circle of space followed the silver-haired man. The people were probably not used to a man with silver hair or black eyes. Crono chuckled as he imagined what would happen if he revealed his wings. He passed a few taverns where patrons were laughing at people who had a little too much to drink, or clapping, and sometimes singing, along with a song sung by a performer up on a table, or just plain having a good time.
It was all too crowded for Crono's taste.

Eventually, he entered the inner portion of the city. His plan of action was first to find someplace to rest for the night, then leave in the morning after buying a few essentials from a store. As he entered a good-looking inn, the innkeeper came up to him. The innkeeper, who was working on a fourth chin, said his name was Lazarus. When asked if he would need anything, Crono asked for a room and some food. As the innkeeper waddled off, though, Crono immediately knew that his plans were changed.

A woman was sitting at a table in one of the corner crying and, in a strange urge of sympathy; Crono decided to go over and try to comfort the woman. As he sat down next to her, Crono noticed something odd. The other patrons wore silk or jewels, or had their hair in fancy designs, but this woman was dressed rather commonly, and her blond hair was in a common braid. Oh well, if this woman wasn't at least connected to somebody high, the innkeeper probably wouldn't have let her be here.

'"You know, it's always more fun if you go somewhere with some friends then by yourself." Crono said, sitting down. The woman mumbled something without raising her head.
"What was that?" Crono asked.
"I said leave me alone." The woman snapped, finally raising her head.
"Now, now, that's no way to talk so somebody who's trying to cheer you up." He replied. She glared at him.
"Unless you are willing to go on a perilous quest, go away." After a second, her eyes widened as she realized what she said. "Oooooh! If my mistress finds out I said anything about it, she'll cut my tongue out!" She wailed, and started to cry again.
"It's ok, it's ok. As it so happens, I'm in need of something to do." Crono said quickly so she wouldn't break down again.
"So you'll do it?" The woman asked, wiping her eyes.
"Yep." He flashed a grin.
"Ok." She sniffed. "Follow me; I'll lead you to my mistress, your employer. By the way, my name is Anise."

It was a twenty minute walk, but eventually Anise led him to a noble's house, let him in, then told him to wait in the entry way while she went to get her mistress.

Goldie

While Anise was away, Nomarie picked herself off of the floor.  Things were not going according to her original plans, and she was not about to sit back and simply watch them progress.  After all, she was the only pure blooded mistress of this house-hold.  No one would dare second guess her rising to become the head.

"You make quite a picture..." she muttered to herself in the mirror.  Crying had made her eyes red and swollen and she noticed the unatractive line her frowns had left on her forhead.  She had perfected the slight pout of her lips when she was angry, but this turn of events had forced upon her a shock for which she had not practiced.  She would need to see how she could contort her face when she was vexed in order to avoid the wrinkles that frowning created....But now was not the time to contemplate.

In less than an hour Anise would return with the man who would help Nomarie change her future.  She would not marry that slug of a man coming from wherever the hell he was from, and she would not give up the estate which was rightfully her own.

"This is my house....mine!" she cried, throwing one of her crystal vials of fragrance into the door where it shattered, sending a plume of liquid into the air.  "No one can take it from me....I won't let them....I will not cease fighting merely because I am a woman."

It disgusted her, really, to know that her father did not want her as he successor merely because of her gender.  She did not choose what she was forced to become and she would not conform to his desires for her future!  It was her life!  Hers!  No one could take that from her without her consent and she would not break without a fight.

She smirked at herself in the mirror, dabbing some powder beneath her eyes to hide the swelling.  Her turquoise eyes glinted with the life of the plan that was forging itself inside of her heart.  No one could take this land from her if they were dead....

Now it was time to change her dress.  Sitting on the floor had left unbecoming wrinkles in the copper fabric, and she wanted to wear something that would accent her fae features more than her normal attire.  Something fit for a queen....something that would turn any man's head.

"My Lady...." she heard Anise's meek little voice from the doorway, "I have shown him into your private parlor --"

"Come" she interjected, "Bring me that Sapphire and Sea Foam gown."  Without a moments hesitation, Anise pulled the gown from the wardrobe and began helping her mistress into the dress.  The gown was not like the rest and instead of flaring out at the hips into a full skirt, the fabric hugged every curve in a seductive caress.  The fabric fell straight to the ground from her hips and shimmered with the same blue and green hues that were accented in her hair and in her eyes.  It was a perfect match.  The neckline would have been modest on any other dress, but the sensual sweep of her hips and breasts glared through the fabric.  The back was cut low, the edge brushing the top of her tail bone before flaring out in a train of greens and silvers, emulating a wave cascading down onto the floor.

Into her hair, Nomarie placed small sapphires which sparkled whenever she turned her head, and pulled her hair from it's spiralling coif until it spilled down her bare back in ringlets, emphasized by the precious stones that glittered throughout her dark hair.

"Perfect." She muttered, reflecting upon her appearance once more as she waved her hand to Anise so the girl would go an announce her.  With one last smile, Nomarie followed her servant and waited as the plain girl opened the doors to the parlor and announced her mistress.

"My Lady Nomarie de Illaudino" she announced, stepping away from the door and melding into the shadows as her mistress entered.  Not that she needed to move aside, Nomarie had a presence that made her servant nearly vanish the moment she entered the room.  Her grace was apparent by the way she seemed to glide across the floor.  Years of practice of course.

"Kind sir, I thank you for answering my call for assistance." she greated him, curtseying gracefully, "Please, have a seat."  She made sure that in her proper hospitality she made the anguish apparent on her features, allowing her voice to quiver ever so slightly to make it known how difficult of a situation she had found herself.

"I pray that you can help me...."

Anonymous

"My Lady Nomarie de Illaudino" Anise announced, followed quickly by a lady who look to be going to a ball looking for suitors. Crono made a bow that was obviously unrehearsed and took a seat at her suggestion.

It seemed to him that she took him a fool, or somebody who's sympathy could easily be played on. Anybody out on the street, from the lowliest street urchin to the richest merchant knew that nobles didn't just 'ask' for help. They either hired a known professional or had soldiers do whatever needed to be done. Therefore, he concluded, the lady infront of him would probably be sending him to do something that only a madman would take.

"What is it you want of me?" Crono asked in a business tone. "And don't try any tricks. If you're having your servants ask people off the street, instead of just hiring pros, then I probably shouldn't do what you ask. But I'll hear you out anyway." He rested his back against the back of the chair and put his arms on the armrests, giving the impression that he was all-business.

Goldie

Her anger flared sharply at his accusations and her eyes narrowed, but she checked her anger before it exploded.  This was not the time to play that card, lest she loose the man before her before she had even explained her predicament.  Nonetheless, his tone vexed her and she bit her tongue to hold the sharp retort that began forming on it's tip.

"I apologize for my servant." she replied with a small bow of her head and she sat opposite of him so they could speak face-to-face, "I was unaware that she would ask a man randomly from the city."  Her threat was made, and she knew that Anise had heard her, and knew her mistress was displeased.  "But I do thank you for coming, whether a man who usually takes paying jobs or not, I beg you for your help.  Not as a noble, but as a desperate woman seeking the only escape she can conjure."  It was a good speech if she could say so herself, and it was true....to a certain extent.  She wanted, no she needed, to escape from the terrible fate her father was forcing upon her!

"I am sorry if you have already judged me...." she murmured, "I do not believe that this is some sort of event that is entirely simple, but foolhearty and difficult it is not."  She paused, tearing her eyes away from his face to stare into her lap, her thumbs twirling around eachother in the appearance of nerves.  She did not need to play the part of someone who was wronged because she truly believed that her father's choices were malicious against her.

"My father is forcing me into marriage." she told him, after a short pause in which to gather her thoughts.  Her voice cracked slightly as she spoke the words, tears returning unbidden to her eyes which she quickly blinked away.  The whole idea was a jumbled mess and she did not realize until now how much it was effecting her composure, nor how much she cared about the task she was about to ask.  Yes, part of it was revenge on her half-brother Mathios and her Father, but the part that distressed her the most was coming from a man whom she had never met....a man who would soon become her husband.

"I do not love this man" she continued, "I told my father this....I tried to explain it to him....but he will not listen, and now he is on his way here and in a fortnight I shall be wed against my will to a cruel and unjust man who thinks of nothing but....just....I will not be forced into this!" she finished, a tear falling onto her clasped hands.  

"So it comes to this..." she muttered, blinking away the rest of the tears that threatened to fall.  Once she was sure that her composure was secure, she returned her eyes to his in a silent plea to enhance her words, "I need you to stop his arrival.  That is why I asked Anise to run her errands....that is why you are sitting here listening to my tale....so please.....please....will you help me?  I will pay you, whatever you ask!  Just, please, do not turn me away...."

Anonymous

He sat silent as she explained her predicament. He had judged her wrong, but did she really need his help that badly? He'd have to see.
"You said you've never met him, so how do you know he's cruel and unjust? He could be perfect for you. Nobody knows the future." He paused for a second to let it sink in. "But you didn't seek my advice, you were seeking my help." He got up, went to a nearby window and looked straight out of it without really seeing anything. "There's really only two choices if you really don't want to marry. You could run away." He turned to face her, his hands clasped behind his back. "Or I could kill him. The decision is up to you. I will help you escape or I will kill the guy, or both, but only you can decide." Crono walked over to her so he was almost standing over her.

"So what will it be?"

Goldie

Nomarie looked down at her clasped hands, his two choices ringing in her ears.  She didn't know why these two choices posed a problem, she didn't know why some part of her was raging about the injustice of it all, and she didn't know why his words made her blood turn cold.

Run away...yes, that could surely be a good choice, but not if she wanted to keep the estates.  If she magically disappeared, her father would only breathe a sigh of relief and hand over the manor to his illegitament son.  If she left...if something were to happen to her...her father would not even blink in concern and let her go into a wild world, full of wild promises, and deathly struggle.  She couldn't run....she couldn't....this manor, this estate, it meant too much to her and she would not see it handed into unqualified hands, even if it meant....

Meant what?  Living witht he knowledge that her future husband's blood would be on her hands?  No, it was worse than that.  Mathios, her half brother by blood, he would die because of her simply because of her father's choice....if she were to have him slain, her father would simply find someone else to adopt, someone else to whom he could bequeath the estate.  If he did not have a chance to adopt Mathios....but she couldn't do it....she could not live with herself if the blood of her own father was upon her....she couldn't....

Could she?

Could she sit by idly and laugh when the news was brought to her that her betrotheds caravan had been infiltrated....that he had died?  And then....Then what?  She would have to kill her father....it was the only way to secur her succession....she would need to....she dind't even know where to find Mathios...this was the only way....the only prospect....

"I....I don't know" she mumbled, this time not needing to act in order to display the obvious battle going on in her mind.

Bah!  What a time to have a weakness! His comments had hit a soft spot she had forgotten existed inside of her.  She could not afford this kind of conscience!  This was her home, hers!  She would not let anyone else run it!  She would not let it fall into the hands of that....

"I can't run away..." she hesitated, looking up at him, suddenly feeling as if all of her doubts were exposed to him, all of her misgivings spelled out in a flaring sign above her head.  Look at me!  I am weak!  I cannot make a simple choice to secure my future!

"But...."  NO!  Be strong!  He said he would help....perhaps....perhaps if she killed her father this very night and then disappeared into the shadows with him in order to go and complete the task....kill the cursed man coming for her hand....yes...that would do.  If she left...no...made it look like she had been abducted, her father slain.....

"I will come with you." she decided out loud, fighting to regain her composure. "Together we can find the caravan in which my would be husband is traveling and there it will end....Tomorrow night....if that is not too soon....I would like us to leave."

Anonymous

((Sorry for taking litterally months to post >.< I've been bad at that recently))

"Tomorrow night it is then." He replied. "I'll be here two hours after dark, you can tell me which way we're going then." He turned for the door and proceeded to it, but stopped about half-way there. "You probably already know this, but I'll say it anyway." He said, half-turning towards her. "Pack light and pick clothes you won't mind dirtying up." He turned towards the door and walked out.
He didn't have much to do, so he wandered around a bit. He took numerous turns, went down multipule allyways and went up and up and down the streets of the city without any particular destination in mind.

Crono returned to the inn later than he had intended, but it didn't really matter since he wouldn't be getting up that early. The common room held a lot of people chatting idly over their cups of wine and their mugs of beer. Crono ordered the special and sat down at an unoccupied table near the side of the room. After he had eatten about half of the food, Crono was mildly surprised to find another person sitting down with him. After ordering a mug of beer, the guy introduced himself as Garon Tenard. It went steadly downhill from there. The newcomer kept trying to crack jokes that didn't register a blink from Crono. After about thirty minutes of trying to make the guy across from him talk, Garon tried something besides jokes. "So, were you headed?"
Crono thought about remaining silent, but since that hadn't worked, he answered the question. "Tomorrow I'm planning on heading out of town." He knew saying that was a mistake as soon as it left his mouth.
"I've been thinking on leaving town for a while now." The other man said. "Mind if I joined you?"
It went on for about another hour or two, and Garon finally wore Crono down into acceptance. The Lady probably wouldn't like it, but she'd could probably cope. Besides, the more people that tried to kill the guy, the higher the chance of sucess.
"Meet me down here a couple of hours before noon." Crono said to Geran, then went up the stairs.

He had a fitful sleep and woke with a bad feeling about the day, but he got up and put on his clothes, making sure his wings were securely in place and wouldn't fly out. He walked down stairs where Garon was waiting.
"We'll need supplies, so go around and get what you need and meet me back here later." Garon nodded and let the common room.
After having eatting a small meal to hold him until lunch, Crono set out to gather what he would need for tonight.

It was roughly the time he said he'd be back to the Lady's place, so he and Garon loitered around at the gate waiting for the Lady.
"So why are we here anyway?" Garon asked.
"Waiting for somebody." Crono replied. "And no, we're not going to be doing any robbery." He said to the question in Garon's eyes. "She should be out soon at any rate." Crono said, looking towards the house.

((bah...I got impatent at the end. <.< And I hope you don't mind me having Garon tag along O=))

Goldie

ooc: BAH!  I'm sorry!  ._.  I started writing up a post and completely ADDed off about half-way through it!

ic:

The noblewoman watched as her hired man left, led out by her sevants.  She had kept a calm air about her, so she felt, during this meeting and had not betrayed anything that could possibly turn him against her.  Although, it wasn't likely that a man like him would blink twice about the job she had enlisted him to comlete.  What was the death of one man who would mean gold to fill his pockets?  Anyone in their right mind would jump that the opportunity and revel in it's splendor.

After all, her father would not marry her to anyone less than a rich nobleman as it would add acclaim to the family name and would keep their blood pure.

Not that it changed anything!  She would not be given away like some slovenly whore to whatever man passed and had enough money to buy her favor!  No!  She was of high breed, the highest in fact, and nothing would keep her from what she truly deserved!  She would be the mistress of this house, her house, and nothing that anyone could do or say would keep her from those goals!  If she did marry, it would be to a man of [her[/i] choosing, not his!  He would be second to his mistress and she would run the estates.

But first thing was first.  She had to stage her own abduction and her father's brutal murder.  After that, then she would have to go  and find Mathios...find him and keep him from becoming the master of this house, as he surely would fight to keep despite being her father's bastard son.  

How to do it?

Poison would surely be the easiest...but then during the investigation they would know that there wasn't a struggle....that someone close to him had to be his killer...no....it needed to be bloody...it needed to be impossible for her to have committed...overcoming a grown man with her powerless physique!  Ah!  It would be so dramatic when she returned home from a long imprisonment!  Finally escaping and pointing the finger at her captors!  Telling the world to save her from them...as they would surely return for her, who wouldn't?  She was the perfect prize for any man to squander...and the perfect prize for any man to kill for....

"Anise" she called softly, waiting patiently as her maid entered her room with a low curtsey, "I am feeling ill.  You may take the rest of the evening off as I am going to be resting.  Please do not accept any visitors."  With a dramatic sigh, Nomarie spred herself elegantly across the chez by the window and closed her eyes, using her ears to judge when her maid had left, almost as silently as she had arrived.

Now was the time.  If she would have any leverage over her father, it would have to be now, in the evening.  It had been hours since he had told her the news...now she could take this time to apologize...

After she was quite sure Anise was tucked away her her small chambers, Nomarie stood and removed the breathtaking gown she had worn for her meeting, and replaced it with a simple, plainer dress that she hated but her father adored for its modesty both in structure and color.  Pulling her hair off of her shoulders, she deftly swept it up into a simple coif, adding to the modesty of her appearance, as well as keeping her silky lockes out of her face.  She needed full view of everything this night.

Pulling a case from beneath her bed, she removed a dagger of ivory and stored it in the sleeves of her gown.  Now she was prepared.  All that was left was completeing her task....

"Enter"

Nomarie opened the heavy wooden door as her father bid, and closed it softly behind her, putting on her best sorrowful face.  She had to play her cards correctly...a sudden change of heart would only alert him to her plans and put him on guard.

"Father....father, I beg you to reconsider" she began promptly, rushing foreward until she knelt by his chair, gazing beseechingly up to his weathered face, "I will change...I will do anythin--"

"Then you will marry." he was curt and did not take his eyes away from the texts he was reading which were all spred upon the table before him.

"But...I don't even know him!" she exclaimed, unbidden tears welling in her eyes.  Part of her had hoped...silently hoped...that he was change his mind.  As much as she hated him...he was still her father...she would be committing the worst taboo's by doing this....

"That is not me concern.  You will have to terrorize some other household, but you will never get mine."

Rage flared through her veins and she no longer hesitated as the dagger wipped out of its sheath and found it's new home in his back.  He did not cry out, merely shuddered as the blade penetrated his skin, slowly turning his face toward his daughters until he stared into her blazing eyes.  His mouth moved but no sound was uttered.

"Why do I do this?" she whispered, moving closer to his ear, "Because I will not let you, or anyone, stand between me and what is mine!"  She wrenched the dagger from his back and stabbed him again, over and over.  The blood poured from his wounds onto the cold marble floors, splattering her arms, her tear streaked face as the blade moved up and down....up and down...slashing, tearing through his flesh until she realized that she was screaming  and threw the blade across the room before collapsing onto the floor next to her father's body.  Wrapping her arms around herself she sobbed quietly, rocking back and forth as the finality of it all hit her with full force.  She had just committed murder....had just mutilated his body out of her anger....she couldn't stop herself...once the blade began to swing...she couldn't....she wouldn't....she didn't want to....

Somehow she managed to make her way back to her room, leaning against the walls as she went as her father's blood spread along the corridors.  It seemed surreal....so surreal...but she had done it, the worst of it was over.  But now...now she had to finish the job.....

Silently entering her room, she tore off the dress and immediately threw it into the fireplace, standing before the flames in naught but her skin as they ignited and burned.  Next, she pulled her basin and thoroughly scrubbed the blood from her face and hands before using the bloody water to extinguish the flames, disappearing in a cloud of steam, leaving the room blackened without its gentle glow.  Stumbling over her things in the dark, she found her wardrobe and pulled another gown over her head, not even paying attention to what it was she was wearing, but knowing she had to wear something.  Blindly, she found a bag and stuffed afew other items of clothes inside before tearing her room apart.  It had to look like an abduction...it had to look like her father had been murdered and she taken...the hangings from her bed her torn, her vanity and all it's contents lay shattered on the floor before she dashed out of her room and locked herself in the stables.

The following day passed like a dream.  The household was alive with activity as they found their master murdered and the mistress gone.  Oh...poor Anise...she would know...or at least think...that her mistress's plans had gone wrong...that those men had returned in the night and kidnapped Nomarie after killing her father...the poor girl would be shamed....not seeing the danger of her mistress's meeting with those men for hire....they would be on the most wanted list...

Perfect.

As the sun set, the estate was locked up so thoroughly that Nomarie began to fear whether she would be able to escape or not...but as the sun set, so did the activity, and she pulled herself out of the hay and started off towards the gate where she saw two men waiting.

Despite being locked in the stable for an entire day, Nomarie looked stunning in a dress of dark blue, the one she had happened to grab that night, with another bag slung over her shoulder.  She knew it wasn't ideal for travel, but it would have to do.

"You came" she breathed a sigh of relief as she approached the gates cautiously.  Pulling out a key, she turned the lock and silently let herself out, making sure to lock it again as she left, "We must leave....now." She felt so sure that someone was going to come out and find her that she didn't even question the other man...in fact...it appeared as if she had seen right through him in her paranoid state, constantly looking over her shoulder at the estate.

Anonymous

Something just didn't feel right about this. Illaudino was acting much more cautious than warrented and, while caution was admired during something like this, she was acting like somebody would actually stop her from leaving her own home. She didn't even seem to notice the extra company that had latched on, and here he was hoping for a quick and easy excuse to get rid of the annoying guy. He inwardly sighed. Damn. Maybe if he introduced the Lady to the pest, then she could dismiss him...but she wanted to go now and, since she was paying, he could do little more than comply.

"Ladies first." He said in a tone that almost touched mocking. No matter how much she was willing to pay or what she said or would say, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that he was going to put her at his back unless needed. Hell, she sent her servant out looking for a mercenary to kill a guy. Who knows what she would resort to to achieve her goals. Which brought him back to the question of why she was being so cautious. He'd allow the fact that punishment would probably be very painful for him, yet if she got caught, the political repercussions would be devestating. But something nagged at him that there was something more.

He shifted his attention to the dress she was wearing. Not exactly the ideal choice for killing somebody, and he hoped that she had packed more suitable clothes. His eyes narrowed slightly. Was that a straw of hay on her shoulder? Before he could do more than glimpse it though, the night breeze snatched it away from prying eyes. Still, why would a noblewoman be anywhere near hay? He'd definitely need to keep an eye on her. Although it seemed unnecessary as the man who called himself Garon seemed to be doing a good enough job for both of them.

Garon's eyes had been drawn to the Lady like iron filling to a lodestone every since she had come into view. What he wouldn't give...but unfortunately, she didn't even seem to notice him as she locked the gate behind her. Crono said he was going to leave today, but judging by the Lady's attire, it didn't seem as though the party was going to be leaving the city. Oh well, it was still early in the night, and the future had always held surprises for Garon.

((Note: I'm not completely positive what I'm going to do with Garon. <.< I just threw his instant crush on Nomarie in as an opening for dramatic and comedic situations. :D))

Goldie

ooc: oooooooo, I really liked that!  BWAHA!  It was a nice artistic touch that is completely something that would happen! Now I've gotten all excited :)

ic:

walk away she told herself over and over again, just keep walking....there's nothing that can be done now, it's over.

Oh, but that was a lie.  She had started a circle of intrigue that was going to last far into  the future.  Not only had she destroyed her family, but she had destroyed any hope of someone ascending into the position of Head.  She was gone...her father...she didn't even want to think about it.  Even now she could feel the blood on her hands, blood that would never disappear no matter how many times she scoured her hands.  It was taboo, the stain would never be lifted.

But it wasn't her fault.  Her father had forced her to force about his terrible demise, and she had merely followed suit.  How else was she suppose to have responded?  He had blatantly insulted her, putting his bastard son Mathios into the family without even thinking about her.

A lie.

He had thought about her.  Thought about his daughter enough to know he did not want her running the house.

No, NO  NO!

She would not think about it that way!  He had deserved every ounce of pain, every splash of blood....he had deserved it...he had it coming...it was his choice....

At least she had managed to silence the little voice in the back of her head.  Now if she could only shut out the lump that was catching in her throat.  The feeling of guilt...it really was an annoying thing this conscience.  She would do so much better without it, surely.

"We'll have to stay somewhere in town for the night..." she murmured, not really paying attention to whom she was speaking.  It was dark, and she was using all of her strength to keep the disquiet she was feeling from showing.  She was good at that, hoodwinking people into believing she was ok.  But now...now it was an effort to keep from glancing down at her hands every few minutes.  She could not give herself away.  Taboo or no, she had to see this through to the end.

The ends would justify the means...

Hopefully.

Glancing behind her to see if her hired man was still with her, she did a double take as she noticed another man with him.  How had she missed him before?  It seemed ridiculous to think that he had appeared out of the blue, but if he had been there the entire time...

Goddess...she needed to be more observant if she wanted to survive.  Especially now...now with the guards probably tearing apart the city looking for her....kidnapped by murderers....

It seemed almost unfair.  But at least she wouldn't be blamed.

"Do you know of any inns that are easy to overlook?"  What was she thinking?  Obviously he would, he was a mercenary after all, but she felt the need to ask.

Anonymous

Crono eyed her sideways. "Well, if you're that desperate to avoid some..." Unfortunately, before Crono could finish his sentence, Garon piped in.
"There's an inn on the outskirts of town that not many people frequent." Crono glared at him.
"Allow me to introduce a...uh...last minute addition. Garon, this is Nomarie de Illaudino. Nomarie, Garon." Garon started babbling on how much of a pleasure it was to meet her, if he could help her in any way, etc. If Illaudino didn't dismiss him, this would definitely be a very unpleasent trip.

When Garon started to repeat himself for the third time, Crono needed to get to that inn before he killed a certain someone.
"Didn't you say something about an inn?" He prompted.
"Ah, right. How could that have slipped my mind?" Garon replied. "It's this way." Garon puffed out his chest some and proceeded to lead the way, and tried to swagger like a street tough. He failed miserably. Crono put a hand over his eyes. Why me?

Goldie

ooc:  ;_;  my muse has been eaten...don't shoot me if this is terrible

ic:

Nomarie blinked when the new addition piped in, cutting off the man she had hired to help her.  Even in the darkness she could sense his eagerness and couldn't help the small smile that plied at her lips.  As far as she could tell, he was completely taken by her!  She could ask anything of this man and surely, he would complet it just to win her favor.

Momentarily, her precarious situation seemed unimportant as her life switched back to which she was comfortable.  She was a noble, and had the beauty of her nymph-like mother who could charm any man with a single look.  She would use this Garon...he could be very useful in the future.  Besides, it was always better to have two protects in lieu of one.  Four eyes had a better chance of keeping her safe and completing the task at hand.

"Ah," she turned and smiled at Garon, batting her eyes ever so slightly, "It is a pleasure to meet you, I'm sure."  She turned to Crono, addressing them both at once, "If we could make our way to this inn, that would be wise."  They couldn't stay out on the streets...not tonight....not when the soldiers were bound to be searching for her and the murderers who attacked her father.

"Please, lead the way." She paused when she saw the look on Crono's face, and glanced at the swaggering Garon.  It was comical, seeing the way he paraded down the street.  She could only hope that his antics would not draw unwanted attention on their group.  At least before they left the city.

Anonymous

((S'ok, everybody gets writer's block. :P And I hope you don't mind some more guilt for your character. :twisted:))

Well, he was well and rightly fucked. Crono muttered darkly to himself as he trudged along behind the noblewoman. He better get paid quite a bit if he had to put up with Garon during this whole trip. Crono shot a glance up ahead at the pest, leading them down broadways and alleyways, taking turn after turn. I applaud his tactics to make sure nobody can follow us, but if we don't get there soon, I'll use him to light the way. Turn after turn after turn came and went, and right when he was about to take his irritation out on Garon, another voice called out.

"Stop!"

He looked up just in time to see the guards advance towards them, and, when one drew his sword, Crono let loose a flaming ball headed straight for the guards face.

-----

Now let's see...I think it was this way. It had been half an hour since he had volunteered to lead the others to the inn, and Garon had a strong suspicion that he was lost. Oh the surroundings all looked familiar, he'd been exploring the city the past few days, but there was no way for him to tell if the inn was getting any nearer. A look at the sky proved no good, he wouldn't be able to tell east from west that way if it kicked him in the stomach. Well, only one thing to do, pick a direction and stick with it. At the next corner, Garon lead the party to the left. Right into the path of a couple of guards.

There wasn't a problem to his mind, after all, the two men were just escorting the lady to an inn. And if it was during the night, well, pickpockets and strong arms would have done more than just snatched her purse. Unfortunately, the guards seemed to have a problem with the escort and one of them called for the party to stop.

"What seems to be the prob...." Before Garon could finish his sentence, a fireball flew right by his head and smacked the lead one in the face. As the second watched her partner go down, the other guard shouted at the Lady.
"Don't worry my Lady Illaudino! You'll be safe in no...." The rest of the sentence was lost as another ball of flames took her down. Within about five minutes from when Garon had first spotted the patrol to when both were down.

While the scene before him was still on it's way to his mind, Garon heard Crono talking behind him. "What did she mean 'you'll be safe?'" Although there was anger in his voice, Garon could have sworn that Crono sounded a little out of breath. After a few minutes, a lucid thought struck Garon's mind like a bird running into a window.
"I think we should get out of here."

Goldie

ooc:  I'm sorry for taking so rediculously long to post a reply!!! I'm sorry!!!!

ic:

Damn!

She had thought that there would have been a little more time...or that they would have started searching for her in another district, or that she would not be recognized. Who the hell was she kidding?  There weren't many noble women in the district with her clearly faeish qualities.  Even in the dark her skin radiated with a subdued sparkle that drew attention.  How could she have possibly hoped not to be noticed?  And then there was the gown she was wearing...why, why did she have nothing toned down that she could have worn?  Wrinkled and smelling of a barn put aside, it was still one of the most ornate dresses that anyone in this district had ever seen!

She stood back, eyes wide with shock, and fervently wished that the guards would not say anything incriminating.  If she lost her guards now, she didn't know what she would do...it wouldn't be pretty she was sure.  

That hope didn't last long.

A giant fireball blasted one of the guards off his feet while the other shouted to the noblewoman.  "By all the nine levels of hell." she muttered under her breath, thinking quickly on her feet on how to escape this situation.  That was before another fireball whipped that guard away as well.  Nomarie was scared...she had no idea what to do but hope that they had not noticed what the guard had said before being blown back.

Her immediate reaction was to coward before the anger of Crono before she realized that this was no time to show weakness.  She had already hired him and could do terrible things while they were still in the city.  No one would question a disheveled woman being led by two men if she started screaming.  Especially if people took it in their heads they these two were the murderer's of her father.

"Even if I knew what they meant, " she spit, cold cruelty dripping from her tongue, "I certainly would not be inclined to tell my hired help." Her eyes narrowed, scrutinizing his features before , looking towards Garon, he gaze softening but still etched in a hard line, "I think that our friend has the best of it.  We should move on.  At this point staying in the city is pointless.  Considering you" she turned back to Crono, "decided to torch a few guards, I'm sure out chances of getting anywhere in the morning are none.  Let's leave this cursed place."

Without waiting for a reply, she took off in a direction that she knew led to the edge of the city limits.  Best get out while they still could.  Once those guards woke and reported, that is if they woke, hell would break loose and she couldn't afford that.  Not now.  Too much was at stake.

Anonymous

"As you say my Lady" Crono said as he mockingly bowed to her back. He turned to Garon. "Gods, between your idiotic yammerings, and her with her nose so far in the air it's amazing she doesn't trip, I don't think that my sanity will stay intact long enough to get payed." Garon blinked.
Crono shook his head. "Why me? Anyway, I'm going to be leaving for a little bit to...um...make sure we're headed in the right direction and won't miss our target. If Illaudino asks, tell her I went to go do a few things. I'll meet back up with you two tomorrow evening at the inn two miles outside of the city. Make sure you mention the word 'crowbar' to the innkeeper. Got it?" Garon nodded. "Good, see you two then."

Garon watched Crono walk off. Did Crono just say what Garon thought he said? Garon would be alone with Lady Illaudino all day tomorrow? This was an awesome opportunity that would have to be handled very delicately. One wrong word would forever ruin his chances on getting with her. Garon ran to catch up with Lady Illaudino.

-----Five minutes later-----

"Ya, so Crono left to go do a few girls and will be back tomorrow evening."

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :3)

Goldie

Nomarie blanched at Garon's words, her mouth hanging open in a very unseemly manner.  Of course, she had most certainly heard incorrectly!  Crono would be back shortly, in a few moments, really.  Yet, the moment the thought arose she knew that she was deluding herself.  Her hired help had turned tail and fled, leaving her only with this bumbling idiot of a man.  Flattering as it was to have someone faun over you all day, this was not the time!  And certainly not the place!

Did she have to do everything her self? Damn it all to hell.

"Oh, in need of a few girls is he?  Well then, perhaps he'll appreciate having coins withheld upon payment...or perhaps he will appreciate my appreciation when he isn't payed at all!"  With anger flaring, she stormed forward, paying a few coins to a street vendor for some high quality traveling attire.  She changed quickly in the back room, folding the gown she had worn and placing it into her pack before rejoining Garon on the road.  She plaited her hair quickly and tied it off with a piece of string before marching on towards the edge of the city.  Her new attire accented her womanly features in a way that a gown never could.  The breaches hugged her hips and the smooth curves of her buttocks while she swayed her hips in such a hypnotic pattern that was purely habitual that she didn't even notice the stares.

"We will not be staying at an inn." she told him, sea green eyes flashing, daring him to contradict her word as they reached the edge of Arca and entered into the woods.  It would not be a comfortable night by any means, but it was necessary.  At least the trees would not be able to tell anyone who she was or where she was headed.

Upon entering into the woods, she realized that her coldness towards Garon could be used against her and it would not do to be abandoned by both men, useless as Garon seemed.

Without pause, she loosed a deluge of tears from her eyes, letting them trickle down her checks before falling to the ground.

"Everyone is leaving..." she muttered miserably, covering her face with her hands and weeping silently with only the trees and a starstruck man to comfort her, "I'll never be able to carry on...never..."

If she couldn't win Crono, she would win this lackey!  Too much was at steak.

Anonymous

After leaving Garon, Crono turned down an alleyway and followed it's twists and turns until he felt that he was a safe distance away from prying eyes. Upon coming to one of the larger alleyway crossings, Crono took off his cloak and stretched his wings. Oh did it feel good to stretch them out since they had basically been bound for the past few days. When his wings were good and stretched, Crono scaled the nearest wall with some difficulty then took to the air and flew in the direction that Illaudino was heading. As he flew over the city limits, Crono glanced down and saw two figures. He couldn't be sure if they were his two...companions or not, due to the altitude he was flying at, but he was pretty sure they were considering there was nobody else on the road.

Putting his two charges to the back of his head, Crono concentrated on how he was going to find out if they were actually going the right direction or not. Well, it wouldn't hurt to follow the road and see what could be seen. That's the beauty of flying, you can go so much faster in the air then by walking. Crono set his wings so that he would be able to pretty much glide along without much conscious work and kept an eye on the road.

Back on the ground, Garon was surprised at Lady Illaudino's reaction. After all, he had just told her that Crono was going to do...a few.... Damnit! He had said the wrong thing! Curse his mind for putting words in places without his consent! He was just about to tell the Lady that he had made a big mistake in what he had said when she disappeared into a nearby building. Oh well, he would tell her as soon as she got out. If he didn't, Crono would probably hurt him very much. Yep. Soon as she got out, he would tell her. Yep....

Nope.

When Nomarie rejoined Garon, all other thoughts promptly left his head. And he had thought she looked stunning in a gown. Her figure and...swaying hypnotized him and left him watching her retreating backside for a good minute. It was then that Garon realized that she was walking away and ran to catch up. He caught up with her at the time when she let be known her intentions to stay in an inn. Although he had objections to this turn of events, her eyes promised many painful and violent consequences should he object.

Fuck.

Well, he'd just have to wait and let her know later. After all, how else would Crono be able to get back to them? Either way, he was sure he was going to be in pain later.

Fuck.

Garon was brought out of his thoughts when Lady Illaudino dropped to the ground crying and he rushed to her side and knelt next to her.

"It'll be ok. Actually, I had said the wrong thing earlier. I meant to say that Crono was going to go do a few things, not girls. I don't have a clue as to why I didn't say it right the first time. Now how about staying at that inn?" He cringed inwardly over how she would react.

Goldie

ooc: YAAY!  Now I just have to get back into the mind-set of a noble pain in the butt.

ic:

As Nomarie let her tears fall, she released all of the pent-up guilt that had started plaguing her after the attack on her father.  Things were more than just black and white, and she had learned the hard way that maybe she wasn't quite as cold hearted as she had originally thought....

Not quite.

But she didn't regret any of her decisions.  It was always harder to do the necessary things than to sit idly by and watch the world dissipate before her very eyes.  And having that bastard of a son take her rightful birthright was not something that she could simply let happen!  She was a pureblooded noble!  The daughter of her father's wife not some street-side whore looking to mother the son of a nobleman in the hopes to raise her status in the world.  Which it didn't thank the gods, but seeing that wretch's son sidestep Nomarie's rightful position was more than she could stand.  Not to mention, it clearly showed a lapse in her father's judgement.  He was getting old and making poor decisions.  If she hadn't stepped in and righted the terrible wrong he was about to do, who knew what would have become of the noble line of her forefathers? Tainted.  It would be tainted.  For it would be the bastard's children who took the manor.

Ugh!

To even think that children of his lineage could be running around the home... their filthy, peasant fingers touching a rank that they should only dream of, never live!

And the thought that now her actions would surly cause the downfall of the two men helping her....

Well, she would feel bad if Crono wasn't an incessant know-it-all with poor manners, and Garon could actually think for himself.  All in all, she couldn't feel remotely bad about them being framed for her father's murder and her kidnapping.  They were nothing, and would remain nothing, while she was everything.

Any other thought would destroy her resolve.

Best not think anything else.

So instead she cried.  And in doing so, she released all of the tensions of the night; repressing them for a bit longer before they would rise up and consume her once again.

And thankfully, it worked as beautifully as she had intended.

Garon, the fool, dove headfirst into the 'concerned suitor' stance and instantly tried to comfort her.  Men were far too easy to read and play, especially this one.  All she need do was sway her hips just right, bat her eyelashes and bit more, and put on a face that could break hearts.  (A look she had perfected years before and had no qualms in using to further her own ends).

"Oh Garon!" she cried, flinging her arms around his neck, "Don't you see?  We can't go back into the city...we can't....the guards will recognize me...they will think you have taken me against my will and it will be my own word against yours and they'll never listen to me...my father will frame you and I will be powerless to stop it....Oh Garon, please...let us stay out here in the woods.  Here you will be safe!  I couldn't stand it if more people were hurt because of me!"

Heh...he didn't know that the true nature of this venture was to kill her step-brother.

Too bad.  His loss, and her gain.

It was far too easy....

And with luck, Crono would take a long while in whatever he was doing.  Without him it was so much easier to use her charms.  She was a very good judge of character, and knew who she could fool and who she could not.  Crono was no fool and she would need to tread lightly around him.

When he returned, he would realize that it was too late for his compatriot.  Garon had already fallen into her hands.

Anonymous

OOC: I just realized how long it's been since this thread started. :3

IC:
Crono lazily glided along, trusting the air currents to keep him aloft and going in the right direction. Even at his slow pace, it still was not very long until he was landing behind the inn he had told Garon about. After making sure that his wings were securely covered did he circle around to the front of the inn and enter.

As he got to the door, the music from a flutist and a harpist gently flowed out and around him along with the soft speech of merchants arguing over one last deal before going to bed. When Crono walked in, he saw why everything was relatively quiet. With the common room only half-full, the innkeeper was already on the way over to the door by the time Crono got one foot in.

"Well look what the wind pitched in." The innkeeper exclaimed while slapping Crono on the back. "What brings you back to Arca?"
"Business, of course." Crono replied.
"Aye, you and your 'business.' Never to just stop in and talk to a friend. Come have a seat." They sat down at a nearby table. "So what'cha need this time? Body disposed of? A place to stay for a few days?"
"All I ask is that you offer lodging to a couple of...acquaintances... of mine." Crono said.
"Acquaintances, eh?" The innkeeper said. "You on another job?" Crono nodded. "Then I'll ask no more of it. What codeword did you give them?"
"Crowbar." The innkeeper burst out laughing.
"I'm surprised you would use that." The innkeeper chuckled some more. "No matter, give me a description so I'll know who they are."
"One is a guy about half my age. He is about as tall as me, maybe a little taller. He has a lithe muscle build, short brown hair and brown eyes." The innkeeper nodded, filing away the information. "The other is a girl....Well...How to describe her. She is a pretty face who thinks she is a noble. You know that kind." The innkeeper rolled his eyes.
"Gods above do I know that kind."
"They should be here either tonight or in the morning." Crono stood with the innkeeper not far behind him. "I should be back in a day or two. If they leave, tell me which way they go, ok?" The innkeeper nodded.

Crono walked out under eye of the innkeeper. When he felt that he was a good enough distance away from the inn, Crono took off his cloak, climbed a nearby tree and took to the skies.

A little closer to Arca, Garon was having trouble coping with Nomarie and trying to not fall on the ground. On the one hand, it was awesome that she showed this much concern for him, that could lead places. On the other though...Getting taken up by the guards was not a thing on his 'to do' list.

So...What to do? They had to get to that inn. If they didn't there would be no way Crono would be able to find them later. The thought briefly crossed Garon's mind about how things might turn out if Crono didn't find them but it was discarded instantly. They were hired to do a job and two people could do it better than one could. Garon still wasn't sure what this 'job' was though. Either way, a hysterical woman wouldn't help things at all.

"While I do agree with dodging the guards," Garon said while patting Nomarie's back, trying to calm her. "We should head to that inn that Crono told me about. I don't think anybody would recognize you there, you definitely look different." Keep pure thoughts, keep pure thoughts. "Who would think of looking for a noblewoman there anyway?" He put his hands on her shoulders and pushed her away a little. "Sound good?" They had to get to that inn or things could be quite difficult.