Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

~..Hello, Rain..~ (Daft! ^-^)

Started by Anonymous, October 05, 2006, 05:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Blushing, Beacon let out a mock laugh. “Yeh, ha, ha, ha, very funny,� he shook his hair again, remembering it was still raining. “I’ve just been raised to be careful is all.� What a horrible liar.

All his life, heâ€"“There she is.â€? The girl who he pined after, the one that always visited him in the sweetshop, was playing a lyre down there. His countenance softened as he looked down at her. “Zharu.â€?

Zharu. It was an odd name, but beautiful nonetheless. He watched her sway along with the music, making sure that the rest of the musicians were keeping in time with her lead. “Too bad she’s already in love with someone.� The words bit at his tongue like a soured taste. His brows furrowed slightly for a brief moment, then… “Oh, well. Maybe I’ll change her mind one day.�

Anonymous

Rather than watch the girl, Nick was looking towards Beacon as he spoke, seeing his gaze locked on some woman. After a few moments he finally turned his attention towards the girl, and wasn’t exactly sure which one she was, so he turned to look at Beacon, followed his gaze, and locked onto the girl. He hoped it was her. Nick lifted his hand to sweep his dripping hair from his face, contemplating something for a moment.

“You really like her then, Beacon?� He asked and nodded his head, as if agreeing to something. “Alright then.� And once more that devilish grin crossed his lips.

“Stay here.� He spoke, and lifted his heels from the gutter. This caused him to slide forward, and he twisted just before he fell off to grip the gutter with his fingers, and then let go. He fell to the ground and landed on the top of a stack of hay. No injuries were received. He looked up to the roof to Beacon, if he didn’t follow, and winked.

The girl, he looked through the crowd before seeing her. He walked around the edge of the musicians, before catching sight of a flower shop. It took about half a minute before one of the girls gave him a rose, free of charge, and he moved back through the musicians. He slipped up behind the lyre player, and stuck the rose gently behind her ear, leaning forward to that same ear.

“Beacon thinks you play a lovely song.� And then he was gone, out of the crowd, and bouncing down the alley and up the stairs, humming happily. Only he would get enjoyment from that, making his way up to the roof once more.

Anonymous

"Like her? More like treasure her." Of course, the man she was in love with intimidated Beacon to the point where he became a sniveling baby. He was twice as big as Nick, five hundred times meaner, and all around a pain to come into contact with.

"Wait...wh-where are you...?" Beacon watched carefully, hoping Nick wasn't about to do something stupid.

All he could see from his view was Nick stick a rose behind his beloved's ear and whisper something. He could see the surprise in her face as Nick frolicked off. Beacon, however, saw this as a challenge. His face flustered--was Nick trying to get the girl he wanted?

Wait..."Nick! Nick, run!" The man--that behemoth--had risen up like the Apocalypse and was heading towards Nick at a quick pace. His strides were long and urgent, his muscles tense. Beacon stood, slipped and fell into the haystack, trying to make heads or tails of his yellow surroundings. "Nick...Nick!"

Anonymous

Nick had hardly made it half way down the alley before he heard Beacon’s faint cries and he spun around, just in time to duck away from a fist that was flying towards his face.

“Woah! Woah! Hey there, calm down!� He yelled, holding his hands up, but the man came at him again. Nick, who was used to jumping off of cliffs and climbing trees, easily slipped beneath he man’s arm. His strong fingers slipped around the large man’s wrist, and tried to wrestle the arm behind his back, making sure to stay at the man’s back.

“That you’re darling then? How did a beauty like her end up with an ox like you?� He asked into the man’s ear, before laughing gaily and letting his wrist go to move to stand in front of the man. His dripping wet hair hung in his face as he kept his wide grin on his lips. He danced from side to side, staying on the toes of his rugged boots as his arms remained slick with the rain.

“Did you ever give her such a gorgeous rose? Ever compliment her music? I bet you don’t even know a drum from a flute.� He continued to taunt and tease the man, all while Nick enjoyed himself. Nothing seemed to upset the carefree adventurer.

Anonymous

Although Nick’s swift movements had caught the bull of a man off guard, his anger never wavered. “You’ve got no right pursue Zharu. She’s mine.� He blinked with the rage of an insane lion and took a few swings at Nick.

Then…

“AH! Gerroff me!� Beacon had jumped onto the beast’s back, whooping and hollering like a battle-hungry warrior, his lean arms wrapped around his neck tightly. “I got him, Nick.� He held on tight as the man reached back and tried to grasp Beacon by the hair. Beacon merely looked up and bit him, drawing just a wee bit of blood.

Crying out in pain, the man reached over with his unharmed hand, caught Beacon by his shirt collar, and flung him off and into a brick wall. Beacon’s eyesight went faulty for a moment before he collected himself. The man was towering over him, his massive paw wrapped around Beacon’s neck. “You…you’re from the sweetshop.�

“Agggh! That’d be me.�

“She sees you all the time…why?� His grip tightened around Beacon’s throat.

“Hup! Why do you think? She likes men who’re sweet, not…not like you.� Wow. Beacon was asking for it.

“What!� The man raised Beacon off the ground, hitting the littler guy’s head against the wall, setting off fireworks behind Beacon’s eyes. Beacon was clawing at the man’s hand.

“Luggo!�

“A little runt like you should know better…�

((Ooh! Clichés all around! XD Sorry for the lameness…))

Anonymous

Damn, damn, damn. That was the only thought running through Nick’s head as he saw the man attack Beacon. Without a second thought, though, he moved to slip up to the side of the man, and his fingers curled around his wrist. His strong fingers dug into the underside of his wrist, hard enough that would obviously cause pain. His other reached forward to grab his fingers and tried to pry them from the small, young boy’s neck.

“You let him go, let him go unless you want this to become a lot more bloody than it needs to be.� There was no joking in Nikolai’s voice anymore. There was bubbling anger, and his dark eyes were staring at the man as he continued to press his fingers into his wrist.

If he had not let Beacon go by then, the hand around his wrist would snake down to his boot as his knee bent up. His fingers curled around a hilt on the inside of his boot, and he tugged a dagger out. The sharp edge was placed to the back of the man’s neck.

“Let him go, right now.â€? So, perhaps he knew a bit more about jumping from buildings and stuff. He knew a bit about fighting as well.  Although the last thing he wanted was for someone else to get involved because he was acting cocky earlier.

Anonymous

The brute grunted as the knife was placed to his neck and, obediently, let go of Beacon’s neck. He pulled away from the knife and turned on his heel to face Nick. “You…had better watch it. And watch your friend. If I catch you around her again, don’t think I’ll go easy on you. And if you’re somewhere by yourself…� he let out a low, evil laugh. “…then you’d better get ready to cry out for help.�

Beacon paled as he lay on the ground, gasping for air like a fish out of waterâ€"what had he done? He should’ve kept his mouth shut…

The man stalked off into the festival, quickly hiding any signs of a fight.

Beacon looked up at Nick, almost too afraid to get up. That dagger…what did he do for a living? “Thanks…� It was all he could say the moment. He was still struggling for breath. He felt as if his throat had closed up on him for a whole minute while he was being held by Zharu’s brute.

Anonymous

Nick slowly removed the knife from the back of his neck and took a step back. He didn’t reply to the man, he just kept a cold, blank stare on him and made sure he exited the alley. When he did he instantly slid the knife back into the sheath on the inside of his boot, and walked to Beacon.

“Get up.� He ordered him gruffly, but before the boy could get up, he reached down, grabbed Beacon by the arm and ripped him to his feet. He turned him slightly to look at the back of his head, and sighed.

“Idiot. You’re a goddamned idiot, I hope you know. Come on.� He said and with his hand still wrapped around his arm, pulled him out of the alley and down a line of shops, ignoring the rain that was relentlessly falling down on them. He finally stopped in front of a small, hidden door that had a tea cup on the front of it.

“Get in.� He said and opened the door. A sweet smell drifted out before Nick pushed Beacon in, and shut the door behind himself.

Anonymous

He was surprised at Nick's sudden gruffness and let out a little "oof!" as Nick pulled Beacon to his feet. "Hey--what--?"

An idiot? What had he done? Nick was the one that went and started all this. Out of instinct, he began struggling. "Where're you taking me? Let go! What's wrong with you?" Of course, because of size and strength, Beacon wasn't too much of a match for Nick.

They reached the door and Beacon turned around to face Nick. "No! Now let me by--!" Before he knew it, he was being pushed into the strange room. He caught himself and looked about, smelling the sweet air. Upset he couldn't savor the smell, he forced himself to ignore it. "Just what is wrong with you?! Wasn't it you that went to go give Zhura the rose?"

Beacon's eyes were glinting, seeming as if lightening was running through them. "Answer me!"

Anonymous

Nick let Beacon go as they stood in the dark entry room of the small place. The smell was causing his senses to go crazy, but he was still able to glare at Beacon.

“You were being an idiot! That brute could have killed you! Killed. Dead. Death. No longer living. Does that mean anything? I’m fine with me getting hurt. I can handle getting hurt. But when you jump in there like you have a clue what you’re doing and then you get hurt because of my fun! It was stupid, and foolish. You didn’t stand a chance. You don’t even have a weapon!� He yelled and threw his arms up into the air, locking his eyes on a strange looking herb hanging from the ceiling.

“Nikolai is that you!� A woman’s voice called and Nick sighed, running his fingers through his wet hair.

“It’s me Yu.� He called back and once again took hold of Beacon’s arm and pulled him past a curtain that appeared to be made of animal bones. Sitting past them was a woman sitting at a table. A gorgeous woman at that. Her hair was thick and black, flowing around her shoulders. She was stirring a few things in a small cauldron. Her eyes lifted up to look to him and they were a vivid violet color.

“You look in perfect health, Nikolai. What can I do for you?� She asked and flashed a perfect smile. Nick simply rolled his eyes and pushed Beacon forward.

“He got his head banged up pretty nice in a fight. You have anything to make the swelling or hurt go away?� He asked and folded his arms across his strong chest, making sure to keep his eyes on Yu, rather than Beacon now. With Yu’s personality, he was never sure what she would do and when.

Anonymous

"I...!" He didn't even finish. It's not that he didn't have time to...he didn't want to. It'd give too much away. He shut his mouth and, steaming, turned away from Nick. The woman's voice was all but a muffled sound in his mind at the moment. Beacon was concentrating on something hidden, something almost sacriligious...

Beacon jumped yet again back into the present and began trying to yank away from Nick's grasp. Again, it was to no avail. The animal bones didn't bother him too much, since the previous scrap was overpowering his thoughts. The woman before him made him cautious. He watched her with an arched brow and tried to step back into the darkness to find his way out.

Instead, he found himself grunting as Nick pushed him towards Yu. As Nick spoke, he realized that he'd completely forgotten about his pulsing wound. He didn't move to touch it, knowing how sensitive it could be at the time.

"She...Miss...Yu, is it? You're a healer, yes? Not a voo-doo woman of some sort, right?" Please say I'm right...I don't feel like any more surprises today...

Anonymous

Nick nudged Beacon in the back while Yu broke into amused laughter. Her slim fingers brushed through her hair and she pushed herself to her feet, a dark purple dress covering her curvaceous body.

“And what do you consider voo-doo?� She asked and moved to brush a fingernail along Beacon’s jaw line. Nikolai reached a hand forward to push her own away from the boy.

“Yu, would you stop toying around and give him some damn herbs or something?� Nick snapped at her, and her fierce violet eyes turned to him.

“Need I remind you all of the times I have fixed your broken and battered body! I suggest you be a bit more polite, unless you’d rather be crippled and find some old maid to bind your broken legs and arms!� She retorted back to him, forgetting about Beacon a moment, before Nick took a step closer to him.

“Fix his head Yu, so we can go…please.� He added on, clenching his jaw as he waited, before the woman finally sighed and moved to rummage around the room.

“Nick, Nikolai, you are so ungrateful. You never thank me. Remember the tree incident? Who helped you then? Or what about the wagon? Who helped you remove the massive piece of wood from your side? Was it me? I don’t even make you pay me, Nikolai. It breaks my heart sometimes at how rude you are.� She continued on with her dramatics and Nick simply rolled his eyes.

Soon she finished whatever it was she had been doing, and handed Nick a small container with a sort of light green mixture within it.

“It’ll be gone by tomorrow if you rub that on it. Nothing I can do about his hair though.� She shrugged and turned back to her work. Nick sighed, tossed a few coins onto her table, and then once more grabbed Beacon’s arm.

“Come on.� He said and didn’t look behind him, or down to Beacon.

Anonymous

He didn't notice the nudge to the back. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up when she laughed--why, he didn't know. Maybe he was just being too jumpy. When she approached, he pulled his head back quickly, blushing slightly. He didn't answer her query.

Yu's interrogation caused Beacon to raise both eyebrows in surprise. Wood...from his side?

He let out a quiet "hup" of surprise at her comment about his hair before allowing himself to be jerked along.

Finally, Beacon's other half, his hidden half, decided to temporarily take command. He yanked his arm out of Nick's grasp with ease. "Look. I may look meek, but I have enough power in me to go--" Then he stopped. He blinked, then turned away from Nick as if he hadn't said a word. "Aren't we leaving?" He asked. He still sounded a little shaken from the fight.

He didn't remember what he just did three seconds ago. If Nick were to ask about it, Beacon wouldn't be able to answer.

Anonymous

Nick rolled his eyes and steered Beacon out into the rain once more.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m sure you’re strong, and powerful, and could take down that guy if you wanted to, right? Look, Beacon, you’re a little guy. If you keep doing stuff like you did today, you’re going to get hurt.� He said and tucked the small vial into his pant pocket. “And I don’t want to be responsible if you get hurt. In fact, I don’t want you getting hurt at all.�

Nikolai sighed and turned his head to look down at Beacon. He clenched his jaw a moment and shook his head side to side. He shouldn’t have made him come onto the roof. He shouldn’t have gone to that girl. If he was alone, it wouldn’t have mattered, but he wasn’t alone. He had this…this candy making boy with him.

“I’m sorry. I’ll bring you back to the shop, and make sure you keep an eye out for that guy. He doesn’t look too nice.� Nick was so strange sometimes. He didn’t care what he did, but if someone else was getting hurt because of him, he immediately became protective of them.

Anonymous

"What? What're you talking about?" Then he started to remember something else, something from his past. "Well...that's kind of true."

Listening to Nick, he smiled. "And miss out on the rest of the festival? And go back to work?" He smiled softly, a hint of amusement on the edges of his mouth. "Nah, I'll pass." He put a gentle hand on Nick's shoulder. "And don't be sorry--it's not your fault."

A sound of happy applause erupted from the festival. Zharu had finished. Seconds later, she maneuvered her way through the crowd, holding both the lyre and the rose in her left hand. "Beacon!" Beacon turned around and smiled sheepishly, backing into Nick. "Bea...your friend told me you liked the song. Is that true?"

At first, no sound came from Beacon's mouth. He shook his head and said, "Kai...ah..." His voice had cracked. Clearing his throat, he blushed and looked away. "Of-of course, Miss Zhura."

"No! I've told you!" She stepped forward, looking him in the eyes. "Quit calling me 'Miss.' Call me Zhura."

Beacon swallowed and couldn't bring himself to look at Zhura. His cheeks were too red, his head too banged up, his clothes too wet...

...Maybe...

"Okay." He looked at the festival. "Are they still taking artists?"

"Huh?" Zhura looked over her shoulder. "Oh. Yes. They told me they want pianists and singers now. Why?"

Beacon gave Nick an "I'll be back soon" look before turning to look at his feet. She was too pretty to look at. "I have my reasons. Stay here and listen, all right?" Beacon then lifted his head and made his way through the thickening crowd, hoping they had a well-kempt piano at hand.

Anonymous

Nick turned to look down to Beacon and rolled his eyes. A few minutes ago the boy was yelling at him in the middle of a voodoo shop, and now he was smiling and wanting to enjoy the festival? He was one of the more confusing fellows he’d met.

When Beacon began to back up as that girl came towards him, Nick stumbled backwards from Beacon’s back running into his chest. Nick’s hands came up to steady the boy by holding onto his shoulders, giving a sort of knowing grin to the girl.

“Alright, I won’t go far.� Nick nodded with reassurance to his statement. When Beacon rushed off Nick lifted his arms to cross over his broad chest, dark eyes watching the boy, following him to where he was off in such a hurry.

Anonymous

Zharu turned to Nick, smiling respectfully. “That was a nice thing you did for Beacon. He’s too shy to do anything that bold on his own.� She then laughed softly. “I wonder what my fiancée would think if he saw you do that…�

~*~  

In moments, Beacon had found his way to the center of the circle of onlookers where a large tent â€"the “stageâ€?â€"stood and was requesting to use the silver piano. He was asked if he needed accompaniment of any sort. His only response was, “if anyone wants to jump in, they can.â€?

Word began spreading through the thickening crowd that the song about to be performed was created by the platinum-blonde-haired boy himself. And not only that, the word mentioned it was for someone he knew.

To whom, they’d no idea.

When he began playing, the notes seemed to echo throughout the outdoor corridors of the village. Then his voice rose and fell beautifully like a sad and dying violin. During the chorus, many were surprised to hear that his voice broke into several different voicesâ€"all his own, yet singing a different harmony. The young man’s song ricocheted about off the villagers’ chests and the buildings:

If I were a painting
Captured on canvas
Alone in the portriat I would stand
And brush strokes bold
Yet soft as a whisper
The work of a feminine hand.
Caught in a still life
Surrounded by shadows
And lost in a background of blue
If I were a painting
My price would be pain
And the artist would have to be you.
I imagine the colors
Would all run together
If you ever allowed me to cry
So don't paint the tears
Just let me remember me
Without you in my eyes.
It's only the frame
That holds me together
Or else I would be falling apart
If I were a painting
I wouldn't feel
And you wouldnt be breaking my heart…

Many villagers applauded, some mentioning quietly that it was very morbid. Others, well…others said nothing at all. Including Zharu’s brute.

Anonymous

Nick chuckled and shrugged his shoulders as he looked to the girl, giving a nod of his head.

“I haven’t known him long, but he’s definitely a shy one alright. As for your fiancée, I’m sure he’s a wonderful man.� He said with one of his dazzling smiles, before his attention turned to the sound of the music.

Nick didn’t say anything. He stood there, still as a statute after his arms had folded over his broad chest. His dark eyes were concentrated, and his lips were in a straight line. The mess of his hair was tugged about by the wind as he caught each sound made by the shy boy who happened to be quite the idiot.

When Beacon had finished Nick lifted his hands up to brush through his hair, but he didn’t clap. He just stared up to the stage where the light haired boy was. Who in the world had he met at the candy store?

Anonymous

After speaking with a few of the townswomen--who marveled at his odd hair later--he made his way through the crowd and, awkwardly, past the brute. The brute had muttered something to Beacon, but Beacon was too concentrated on getting the hell away from him.

He met up with Nick and Zharu, to see her smiling softly and Nick running a hand through his hair. Zharu shook her head. "Lovely. But where were the other singers? I couldn't see them."

"They...they didn't sing at all."

"But I heard a number of voices."

Beacon smiled and nodded. "That'd be me. I did that."

Zharu's amazement spread across her face quickly before she patted him on the shoulder. "Great job, B." Then..."Remind me to invite you to my wedding to sing."

Beacon held back his wince--already? "When is this...event?"

"In only a few months." She seemed as if her world suddenly got happier, because the more she spoke of it, the happier she looked. He listened to her go on and on about it before he mentioned that the brute was looking for her. "Then I'll see you back at the sweetshop tomorrow."

"Right." He watched her go and turned to look at Nick. What an imbecile. What'd he think, that he'd get the girl like this man here? Like Nikolai?He hadn't done anything daring since...since only a few minutes ago. And it felt good, no matter what Nick thought of it.

Maybe he would crash the wedding. Just to keep that feeling alive for a little while.  "A few months...That doesn't give me much time to plan..." He was muttering to himself in all honesty, but it was loud enough for Nick to hear it.

Anonymous

Nick stood there silently while the two of them spoke, and when the cute girl walked off, Nick’s dark eyes fell onto Beacon, an eyebrow raised.

“A candy making musician. Wow, I had to steal away the worst kind of guy, didn’t I?� He asked with a laugh, and when he heard Beacon mutter something, Nick threw his arm around Beacon’s shoulders and tugged him along with him.

â€œPlan? You’ve got me! Let me tell ya, I’ve stolen many fair maiden’s hearts while crashing into their wedding, declaring my undying love for them. It works perfectly. What do you have to plan? Just kick the door open, run up the aisle to her, grab her hand, avoid the punches that beast is going to throw at you!â€? He said and then swung around to stand before Beacon and fall to one knee before him, taking his hand within his larger one.

“I love you Zharu! Marry me instead! I’ve loved you since I’ve laid eyes on you! You’re gorgeous, and amazing, and talented. I can’t let you go! Heal my weeping heart! Be with me Zharu!� Nick cried out dramatically to Beacon, and when he finished he gave him a devilish grin and pushed himself to his feet.

“It’s easy.� He shrugged as if he’d done it every day of his life.