Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Benevolent Gesture.

Started by Anonymous, October 11, 2006, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Rodolphe Maverikko had finally finished his work. Now, he was returning back to the castle to finish the rest of his day. All, of course, was very well. He had made sure that his tax collectors came up with every single cent of the taxes that they collected, with a decent amount going to them.

The small entourage of other men on horses surrounded he and his beautiful wife as they rode through the streets of Reajh. He didn't ride through Reajh very often, but he wanted to entertain himself a bit by watching the reaction of the people as he passed through. As they waved at him, he would warmly grin back, as his gentle Lucille would give them a much more shy smile.

As Rodolphe continued to look on at the villagers, he noticed a girl being pushed right in front of his attendant. She couldn't have been much older than 12, but she was certainly ruffed-up enough to provoke some kind of tears out of her.

"Give it back!" She screamed, tears welling up in her pretty brown eyes.

Lucille looked sadly on at the poor dear as she began to cry. Whatever thief that had stolen from her had certainly made her cry. Unfortunately, the thief was long gone, and all that was left was this poor little crying mess.

"Oh my. And might I ask what could the matter be?" Rodolphe asked, as the little girl kept her head down.

"That...man..he...he took my food. I needed that food," the girl could barely speak as she began to choke up with tears. "My...m-my daddy...he's going to b-beat me."

"Well, he can't possibly discipline you if you return back with food," Rodolphe strolled around, his sword unceremoniously dragging against the ground and the girl not even raising her head to look at this interesting stranger. He motioned his retinue to follow him as he lead the girl to a small booth selling fruits, and another one selling breads and vegetables, and even one selling meat.

"I'll be taking this," Rodolphe replied, flashing the vendors a confident look. They jumped up with newfound enthusiasm as they hurried to get things packed. The little girl looked up, her eyes shining from leftover tears, and as she rubbed her dirty little face, she looked on with awe. Not much time had passed until Rodolphe flung a small coin to the workers and the little girl was loaded with more weight than she could nearly carry.

"W-who are you?" The stuttering little girl replied as she looked up at the lord in astonishment. "H-how c-c-can you p-pay for all of t-this?"

"I'll just let you know that I am a friend of the common people of this land," Rodolphe crouched down to the girl. "Your father should be more than pleased he is presented with this. If he asks where it came from, tell him that a noble of Connlaoth saw to it that he and his family are to be well-fed tonight." Rodolphe playfully wiped a little bit of dirt off of her face, and gave her two small coins that could buy them food for a month. "Take this as a token of my generosity." Rodolphe stood upon his feet, and walked back to his horse. "And now, my dear, I must be on my way. Duty beckons to me." And with a start, Rodolphe had quickly mounted his horse and was on his way. "I bid you farewell!"

The little girl could only stand with her mouth agog. When she was able to come to her senses, all she could muster was an astounded "Wow."

((Thread is open to all!))

Anonymous

.AERIAL stood silent, not too far away from the girl. she saw the man steal her of her things, and the new valiant knight in shining armor come to her rescue, just in time for all the "commoners" to see and gawk in splendor. such a hero, such a god to behold. unfortunately, as he tossed about his coins to try and seduce the people into thinking he was generous, AERIAL knew that his pockets were swollen with coins. he could easily feed the entire peasant folk as he might call them. such a pity that he didn't. instead he had his little group of overpaid bastards trucking behind him like he was a celebrity. instead, he rode around in a carriage and wore only the finest threads. instead, he paid the tax collectors much more than their fair share. not taking into account the beatings and brutality that they showed the "commoners" when they couldn't pay. yes, such a lovely man. there he sat with a fat old grin on his face, and a lovely, probably bribed wife clinging to his side. he beamed with pride...look at all the poverty sticken youngsters, thinking he was actually a good man, simply because he tossed them his spare change. he acted as though the girl would get to her home before she was robbed blind. she wasn't the only poor girl out here, begging for a meal, perhaps a nice warm bed. but she was the one who put him evermore into the spotlight, and thus she was rewarded with food that would only go bad, or get stolen more than likely. she huffed loudly as he walked past, even dared to spit just before he stepped past her, nearly marring his perfect wardrobe. most of them would have cut off a hand to be able to own the sword he was letting drag on the ground. it was a sick practice. this messiah proformance. let's stroll through the taxpayers once in awhile. toss back a coin that we stole from them their very selves, and let them think i'm wonderous.

.no one else seemed to see this family in the light that AERIAL did, but she knew very well how he got so wealthy, it held hands with the reason she was so poor. she'd seen this little game played out many a time. and yes little girl, run on home and tell daddy that the perfect noble man finally felt bad for the ribs showing along your sides. he'd felt that he'd stolen enough dignity, not to mention money, from you and yours that he would finally furbish you with a free meal. too kind, isn't it? well, AERIAL would see no more of it. finally instead of letting her glares rip into him, it would finally be her words.

yes, toss your money aside, oh noble one. but that is only one family. what of my family? what of my starvation? you haven't enough little coins to throw off here and there to feed all of us? it is our money anyway. you sit up there on your carriage like you are really something spectacular, but us...your friends, the commoners...we are all starving at the hands of your little tax collectors. i don't think a true friend would let another starve...or is that your custom? what duties have you anyway, your majesty? counting money? eating large meals? going to balls, or hiring little common friends to clean your castle?

.said in such a sweetly fashion that he couldn't have her arrested or anything of that nature. but she finally wanted them to look at him for what he really was, and not for how he acted when a child was crying. all the common people tripped over themselves to help him. and he but tossed a coin every few months to show his appreciation for their labor. she didn't even know if he had a castle or not, but she had to exaggerate, to make the sarcasm obvious.

Anonymous

((Oh, I like you already! Get him!))

One of the members of Rodolphe's attendants of armed men fiercely glared at the girl. "You will stand down, you insufferable little brat! You haven't a clue to who you're talking!"

"Now, now," Rodolphe calmed down his guard as he rode on horseback to the young lady. "It seems that you are fed up with our government. Your reasons are most valid," Rodolphe countered. "Surely, I may have enough money to feed all of you, but for now, my superiors demand this money of me. If it were up to me, I would be sure that every person in this kingdom were prosperous enough to where poverty and starving were a thing of the past." Rodolphe wanted to strike this girl for her public display of impertinence, but decorum taught him better, and so, he thought better of it.

"Unfortunately, my dear, wealth is not a blessing that is bestowed upon all of us. Labor, however, is something that can open the door to living wealth. The will to work, as well as intelligence, which I am sure that you possess both,  is what will lead you on the road to wealth."

"Tell me, my dear, do you know why the tax collectors are so hateful?" He asked her, giving her a sympathetic look that belied his ire, "It is simply because they are used to bullying their way to get what they want. If they were bestowed with the gift of empathy, they wouldn't have to abuse anyone, or even take more than they actually need."

One of Rodolphe's guards impatiently interjected. "Girl, you may be having financial problems, but it is time that he and his wife be on his way. Perhaps he will indulge your little fancies at some other time."

Anonymous

I have his name shoved down my throat! dare you say again I know not who I am talking to! she snapped right back to the first man, glaring just as steadfast and passionately back into his gaze, without fear. she had reason to hate her government, but thus far no real reason to fear them. Trust me, I know that my reasons are valid. Not all of us poor street people are as ignorant as you think. Yes of course you would much rather us all be fed. Then go to your dwelling, return with your food. Feed your friends, oh selfless one. Better yet, just step humbly down from your carriage and let others sleep in it. Be selfless. If we are your friends and not your servants, then let the younger ones into your home, to enjoy perhaps their first night of a nice comfortable bed. But you won't do that, either, will you? Of course not. Go ahead and blame it on your superiors. Wealth is a blessing bestowed upon those born into wealthy families. My family, gave everything they had to keep their home, worked much harder than you. They were slaving in the fields as you rode about on the carriage they bought you back then. So of course wealth is not for all of us you fool. Then who would pay for your luxery?! By the end of her tyrant, she was nearly shouting into his face, glaring back to him and leaving him little room for excuses now. For there was no reason, that she could fathom, that he could come up with to not at least let a few people sleep in his house. of course it was illogical as it were, but that was not the point. the only point that she was trying to make, was the point that he was not as giving as he made himself out to be, and slowly but surely the ideas were spreading, as commoners one after another began to tilt their heads or stroke their chins in wonder.

then perhaps, my liege, if you've chosen ones without empathy...maybe you should try to have at least ONE with a little. seems sort of convinient that you've managed to stumble upon all the citizens that are heartless theives, and put them in a position to do it legally.

Once again she felt that her point was made, she leaned her weight back on one hip and crossed her arms waiting for his retort, only to be assulted with the shout of another minion.

I think, sir that you may be having your own personal problems, but it is time that he and his wife are given the chance to speak for themselves. he's preaching about intelligence, so I think him and his brilliant self can handle a few simple questions and a nice...friendly debate. commoner, to theif.

Anonymous

Outwardly, Rodolphe remained cool and calm. It simply would not do to lose his temper before the eyes of the common folk, and risk sullying his prisine and well-contrived image as a friend of the common man.

"My dear, as angry as you may be, I am certainly not the one to take it out on. If you could calm yourself, I could easily address your grievances." Rodolphe waited for a few seconds in hopes that she would collect herself.

"Now, as you say, that I could have people stay at my estate for a bit of time, it would certainly be very easy for me to do so, and I would be very willing to, if crime and mages were not an issue. As you well know, while I may be a friend of the denizens of this fine country, I am not held in such high esteem by those who wish to inflict harm upon you or I - the mages. Also, keep in mind that for me to do such a thing would not necessarily be taken as a gift by all. As much as I love the people of this country, I cannot simply place my family or my attendants in harm's way."

Lucille looked sadly at the girl. She knew that Rodolphe was just doing this to remain on at least semi-good terms with the people. She would have to do something for her. But for now, all she could do was simply sit back helplessly and watch as the poor girl pleaded her case with her husband.

Rodolphe continued his debate with the poverty-stricken lass. "You may be under the assumption that all those who are wealthy are from family who were already given the gift of wealth, but that is simply not true. In my case, yes, I am a noble by birth, but there are several tax collectors and merchants who only got in their job because of hard work and knowing the right people. In this world, as unfair as it is, you must make the best of your situation, and take pride in labor. You will be paid off someday, even if it is not in this life."

Rodolphe stopped to listen as the girl continued her diatribe, keeping his emotions well in-check. 'Do not falter, Rodolphe. All this little girl needs to do is try you a little bit in order to taint you.'

"My dear, I do not make the laws, but I do know who does. If you can, see if you can request an audience with the Matron. She's kind enough, and I'm sure that she will gladly hear you." Rodolphe answered. "Now, I must be on my way, and you should be on yours as well. I will keep your wisdom in mind," Rodolphe replied, giving her a wink and a charismatic smile as he began to leave, his wife on another horse at his side.

Lucille looked between her husband and the girl. She made sure to get a good view of the girl and where she was - she would need to know this information for later.

((Rodolphe exited - this thread will be continued with Lucille))

Anonymous

.once again and surely not for the last time she was hushed by the voice  of the government. she would not give up, however because just as LUCILLE could see through it, so could she, she knew why he left, and why he answered how she did, and she also knew he covered his tracks well, but that more folk were questioning his intentions. which is exactly what she had hoped to accomplish. she saw the wife faulter behind a bit and looked to her, sympathetic but envious all at once. she wanted more than anything to be wealthy but at the same time, maybe not if fake husbands were part of the mixture. she saw that the woman atop the steed was in a different way noble than the man. she kept her silence, practiced self control, and god knew what she put up with at home. thus, AERIAL made sure that she didn't give her a single harshness, neither in her eyes, nor her words when she said in a hushed whisper as to keep it from her husband. i know that you agree. she said this matter of factly, almost as though they knew one another. she couldn't help it. the woman was beautiful, prestigious, she looked fitting where she was. and AERIAL was quite sure that given the oppertunities, the maiden would have gladly helped. but she understood, women didn't really embaress their men in public. she couldn't blame her. god knew what would happen if she had spoken up too. it would have caused a riot, in the least.
but how could a soft-spoken, shy woman like herself ever, ever meet up with such a beast of an actor?. either way, the show was over. the gods were ascending upon the highs, and vanishing into their castle of lies. she would await the next time that she saw any of them wandering about. but for now she wandered not far from the inner city to lay beneathe a tree, the same one that she did every night. the pattern gave her a sense of stability, but also told others just where to find her, not that anyone would be looking for her, or try to follow her. she was but a simple peasant and after tonight she would be forced to remind herself often.