Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

An Abrupt Arrival

Started by Anonymous, December 29, 2006, 12:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Pain laced through Xiel's shoulder and down her arm and back.  She'd been dealt enough of it in her time and, while this was excruciating, it wasn't anything she couldn't handle.

The raging woman in front of her was another story altogether.  With one wing useless and an arm incapacitated, Xiel would be hard-pressed to get up, let alone get away.  She prayed that her appeal to the strange man that seemed to be helping her got through to him.

Her blood ran cold when he handed Beatrid his daggers.  Once again, she'd been betrayed.  With her one good arm, Xiel began to pull herself towards an empty doorway, perhaps if she could just get out of the reach of Beatrid she could hide herself in the shadows, perhaps...

Xiel's path was suddenly blocked.  Surprised, Xiel yelped, an almost canine sound, as Beatrid's unconscious form hit the ground in front of her.  One, two, three, slow, even breaths from the still form of the woman let Xiel know that, while no longer a threat for the moment, this violent, hate-filled woman was not permanently out of commission.

Xiel craned her neck to look at the winged man behind her.  As the wind blew she could occasionally see glimpses of his white feathers beneath his cloak.  She did not trust this man and yet...  She didn't have a choice.

"Why?"  Her quiet, low voice almost seemed to float to his ears.  There was a hint of growl, though none came to the surface.  Her eyes were wide and wary and she quivered in pain, cold and fear.  "What do you gain?"

Anonymous

((Can it be? :O I'm actually posting? O: Sorry for huge delay. All I can offer as an explantion is school and spring fever. :3))

Well this was turning out to be an exciting night. Having a large something or other almost run him over, almost getting mobbed by a curious crowd...ok, so that is a stretch, but the potential was there...a horse almost trampling him, and to top it all off, it was starting to rain again....

He HATED the rain. Especially right now. Without this damn falling water, Seren could have just flown away while carrying the other winged creature. It probably wouldn't have been far, but it would have been far enough. He raised his head out of the mud it had landed in when he dodged the horse and glared at the sky. You just don't want to make this easy for me, do you? He got up and drew his sword. Just what he needed, a two on one fight in the rain. Plans began to form in his mind. He would have to keep both in sight at all times, and make sure that one didn't pin his sword while the other attacked, and....

He relaxed visibly when the red-haired man knocked the soldier out. He lowered his sword, but didn't put it away, and semi-turned his attention to the winged questioner.
"Right now, I'm not after anything." He replied. "I was raised to help those like me." He put his full focuson the red haired man. "Who's side are you on exactly?" Seren asked. "And more importantly, what are you going to do now? If more soldiers arrive, it won't be easy to explain why she's knocked out." He said indicating the soldier.

Seren moved over to where the winged woman was. "How about this. I take this woman to a place where she can recover and you walk away. Nobody gets hurt and you won't be put in anymore danger." He had gotten to the point where he was standing over the injured woman and he looked down at her. "If that's alright with you that is."

Goldie

Xinthe released the breath he was holding as the soldier crumpled to the ground.  He hated having to do that, but he knew that the moment the others were in captivity she would have some way of finding out that he too had magic.  Although he respected her for standing up by herself against odds unimaginable, he would have an easier time saving his own neck if she was incapacitated.

Kneeling, he checked to make sure she had a pulse before rising, pleased with himself that he hadn't actually killed her.  Luckily he had done a clean job of it, and it appeared that she would walk away with a killer headache and a large bump on her skull....of course, he hoped that he wasn't mistaking blood for mud or rain.  But she seemed alright as far as he could tell...without waiting, he took his daggers back and slipped them into his belt before hoisting her over his shoulders and taking her back into the inn.

The fire had been quenched and because of it, the innkeeper had closed shop for the time being.  Upon seeing him enter with the soldier across his shoulder, the man took a step back.

Xinthe flipped a few coins onto the counter and held her out to him.

"Give her a room until she wakes." he told her as the inn keeper took her off of his hands, "She was out numbered..." it was true enough...not to mention making it seem as if he was an allie to the government would help him in the future....at least, it would keep a wanted poster of him off of the streets for a few hours...

Without another word, he turned and headed back out into the rain where he leaned against the inn side and looked at the others in the field.  The rain had sent the crowd running again, and the fall of the soldier had sent them screaming.  It wouldn't be long before more of them to show up and then all three of them would be royally screwed.

"I'm on my own side." he replied with a frown, "But I do feel a certain loyalty to people like you in a place where it means death."  Without so much as a twitch, he called upon his magic and began to change his appearance.  The first thing to go was his red hair, which would stand out like a sore thumb if he was ever on the "most wanted" list.  His hair now a dull brown, he shortened his height by a few inches and altered his face until he was unrecognizeable to anyone who had seen him before.  Now at least he was safe...until that woman came by and he was forced back into his own skin.

"The military is going to be here any minute, so if we're going to leave, we'll have to go now."  He raised his eyebrow at the man's proposition for him to leave.  Tempting as it was....

"You're going to need more than just yourself to help get her out of here," he nodded towards the injured bird/woman thing on the ground, "And I'll at least help you get out of the city, or somewhere safe."

Anonymous

(OOC:  HA HA HA HA HA!!!!   I can't believe I spelled my character's name wrong!!!  *falls off chair laughing*)

By the time the red-haired man had returned from taking the soldier-girl into the inn, Ziel had managed to get to her feet.  It was a very careful, aching process as her right wing was still extended fully, though with the soldier-girl gone, the left had retracted to it's normal resting size.  She leaned against a door frame, her cheek resting against the cool, wet wood.

One minute.  That's all she wanted.  One minute to stand in the cool rain and feel it wash away all the pain that shot through her right side every time she took a breath.  One minute to pretend that she wasn't being persued by soldiers or being labeled as a demon or even running from a bastard Master that would probably want her dead by now.

Ten seconds was all that she got before the red-haired man came back out of the inn.

"Where do you suggest we go?  I can't fly, can't heal myself without..."  Her velvet-smooth voice choked on the thought of having to allow more blood to pass her lips.  Her stomach turned over and she nearly vomited.

Stifling the urge to puke, she looked back up at him with malevolent eyes, "I don't trust you, have no reason to.  You don't pick sides.  You waver back and forth.  Prove your ..."  Ziel's voice faltered as she realized she was looking for a word that she didn't know.  New concepts for interacting with people were being introduced to her at an astonishing rate and she didn't have the words to express them.  They'd never been a part of her life until now.

"We need to get out of here."  She looked pleadingly at the man with the white wings.  The rain had soaked through his cloak, making his wings slightly more visible, outlined beneath the fabric.  "We need to hide.  Do you know where we can hide?"  

Ziel's expression changed from violent predator concerned with nothing but her own survival to that of a lost child seeking guidance and safety.  It was a heartbreaking expression on her lovely, pale features, making her seem even more fragile than she already looked.

Rhindeer

[Well, guys, since Beatrid is unconscious...you can go ahead and continue the thread without me! xDD Unless someone wants to rouse her, but I'm pretty sure she's out cold!]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

(ooc:  ._.  I'm sorry Rhi!!!  I hope that all Xinthe managed to do is hurt her pride XD

and what can I say?  Xs are awesome letters!  AND they're obviously contagious!)

Rhindeer

[Haha! It's okay, Gold, it was awesome! xDD Seriously, the woman's needed some serious humbling for the last...three or so years I've been playing her. Bwahahah! It's about time! Xinthe made me happeh when he did that. *snrk* Ahem! Anyhoo! I'll hush now and not clog the thread with OOC! <3]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

He had to admit, she was beautiful. And she had a point. The man in question seemed to change sides as easily as his appearance, and that would be very bad in a pinch, but he couldn't do any thing about it now. More soldiers could appear any second to make merry with the killing. Seren studied the now-brown haired man for about five seconds, then put his sword away. He couldn't do anything about it now and he kept telling himself the strongest alliances were made in the most desperate times. Although they usually didn't last too long. Oh well, you had to make due with what you had.

"I don't really know this city too well, so we should get out of here as fast as possible." Well duh! Of course skipping town would be a good idea, but Seren still felt like he needed to say it. "We can think of specifics later." He walked over to the winged woman. "Mind if I help?" And without waiting for an answer, he wrapped an arm around her torso. Just to help her walk of course. He wasn't thinking of doing anything bad. Although...no, the matter at hand needed his full concentration. They weren't anywhere near out of the country, so they were still in a high level of danger.

A plan began to form in his mind. Supplies could be easily retrieved, especially if the unnamed man came along. Yes, at every town or village they stopped at, the other man could alter his appearance and get what was needed. Seren would help as well, but it would be less noticable if there was no way to trace their little group. They could take turns keeping watch while the others slept and help the injured woman until she could take care of herself. It all just hinged on whether or not the other man would come along. He turned his attention to the possible helper.
"So, do you want to come along?" Not the best way to ask, but it would have to do. "I'm Seren by the way."

Goldie

Whether those two trusted him or not couldn't have been less important to Xinthe if he had tried.  The biggest problem at hand was getting out of the cursed city and meandering their way back to somewhere safe; or at least safer than their current position.

The rain wouldn't deter the civilian's for long, and it sure as hell wasn't going to stop any military back-up that was more than likely racing towards the inn as they spoke.  Things would have been so much easier if he hadn't been so damn curious!  If he had just stuck to his guns, stayed where he was and given-up the exploring thing, he would never have landed himself in this mess.  Now, in the process of mopping it up, he realized just how stupid he had been.  If there was any more of that force that kept him from altering his appearance around, he would be royally screwed.  His normal appearance was not on that was easy to blend with the locals.  His auburn hair was like a fiery beacon in the middle of a dark corridor, and he was almost positive that the moment that guard woke, his face would be posted all around the place.

Well...it wouldn't be the first time...

What sucked was the fact that it was his actual face, not something he altered.

Blah...what use was magic if he couldn't use it to his advantage? Thankfully, he didn't have to rely on his magic when it came to fighting, that was all hard won skill and wouldn't disappear with the presence of a palace soldier.

Xinthe turned his eyes upon the newly introduced Seren, his gaze hard and judging.  He could easily escape himself, running off into street never to be seen again.  They wouldn't get far without him, that much was clear.  The woman was injured, and the man looked like he had some malady himself hiding underneath that cloak.  It didn't take a genius to see that he was hiding something, and that something was definitely not a hump-back.  They would be overrun without his help...probably taken to the palace for questioning and, in all likelyhood, death.

Condsidering all of the lives he already had stacked against him, Xinthe realized that it would probably be best to at least see them out of the kingdom.  Then, if they died, it was their own stupidity, not his abandonment.

"Yeah, I'm coming." he replied.  He didn't need to grab anything, he found that traveling was ten times easier when he didn't have to carry anything.  He had enough gold to keep a good diet, and he had the means to gather more money if the opportunity ever were to arise.  Like that stupid, drunk nobleman from earlier.

"The soldier's will be here any minute."  He gazed around and a thought struck him.

Leaning his head in the doorway, he changed his face back to its original form and called to the innkeeper.

"What's the quickest way out of the city?" he asked, clearly noting the look of apprehension on the mans face.  It was slowly dawning on him that the red-haired man was not as innocent as he had believed.

"Follow the road south." his reply was curt, and he disappeared inside the building.

Turning back to his new companions and smiled lightly, his face altering once more.

"Well, that's that then."  He strolled towards them and offered his shoulder to help carry the woman.  It would be quicker if two were helping rather than one, "We go North."

Anonymous

(OOC:  So sorry for the delay in replying!  Things went a little nuts!)

As the two men propped Ziel up between them her head swam.  She could tell that they had not been prepared for how deceptively light she was.  Exhaustion and shock were seeping in and threatened to drown her in unconsciousness but she fought back against them.  As one of the men stumbled slightly on a rock, the painful jar helped her to hold tight to her senses.

"This is... slow."  Talking was hard and her words were slurred.  "We can move... faster... if I'm able...  I need to walk... need to heal...  Won't take long... just need... blood..."

Ziel's stomach rolled at the thought of it.  She swallowed hard against the bile that rose in her throat.

"Don't need much... few mouthfulls..."  Rain dribbled down her neck and over her skin like small liquid crystals.