Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Pleasant Meal

Started by Anonymous, January 14, 2007, 04:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The forest was alive, the air sounding with the chirping of birds and the rustling of rodents in the evening. But he didn't want them; they were all too small for his meal. The green hood covered the pale red of his hair as he stalked close to the ground. He had heard the distant sound of rabbits moving beneath the ground earlier, and now that he was hungry he was following the noise, hoping that a few would be above ground. If they weren't he could always chew on some fruit â€" but he preferred meat, as did any of his kind. Well, any of the sane members of his kind. There had been that strange female who had told him seriously to eat his greens... No wonder she died. Absolutely batty. Probably malnourished. They were predators, for Calsira's sake.

He shifted forward a step, freezing as a rabbit head popped into view. Those curious eyes passed right over him before it lowered again, out of sight. They were out and about then, eating and nibbling at the grass. He licked his lips and carefully slipped forward a few more paces until through the brush and plants he could see the rabbit burrows, entrances to their warren. Sirin grinned fiercely, and slipped out his knives. He enjoyed using his claws as much as the next Feline, but rabbits were fast and wily. Besides, the knives weren't good for much else, and these were too small to waste his axe on. He just wanted a couple of them. A couple of fat rabbits wouldn't harm a healthy warren like this. He drew in a breath, aware he needed to practice more with his knives â€" and perhaps replace one of them, it was a little off balance. But, during a hunt wasn't the time to distract himself with those thoughts.

The knives flew out, and he leapt after them, aware before it even hit that one of the knives would partly miss. One of the rabbits lay dead, and the rest scattered toward their holes. But he was having none of that. With an annoyed snarl he was in front of one hole, his claws suddenly extended in a flash. His hands swept down and grabbed one of the squealing nuisances that was silenced when his claws bit into his throat. Feeling petulant that he had messed up he glared at the forest. "Thanks for guiding my hand," He muttered sarcastically. Sometimes he swore he heard laughter in return â€" but that, he knew, was his imagination.

He had still gotten the prey after all and he reminded himself to have a chat with the gods later about his good luck â€" they really did deserve some thanks for that. For the moment, he swept up the two rabbits and the knives and sauntered away. Once clear of the area, he cleaned his knives and found a pleasant looking tree to sit in. A short jump later and he was opening the rabbits up with his claws and having his fill. He kept part of the last rabbit for later, tying it up in a branch above him as he looked out at the forest. He was thinking it was time to move on soon. It was a nice forest, but he was getting dreadfully bored.

((Open to anyone. ^_^))

Anonymous

"How could I have gotten lost at a time like this?! How am I supposed to find a job now?!"

The distress of a young female voice echoed softly off of the trees. Kahlen glanced around in annoyance, brushing back a strand of her short black hair. Her mismatched eyes (one violet and one sapphire) glanced about her containing a worried glint.

Somehow, the young potion maker always managed to get lost at the least convenient times. And now was definitely one of them. Constantly jobless, she was always searching for someone who was willing to hire her for her talents...Even into an apprenticeship. However, luck seemed to somehow evade the young woman, no matter how hard she tried...It got rather humiliating, really.

Slumping against the thick trunk of a tree, Kahlen sighed. She had basically given up by this time. It wasn't really worth it to get herself worked up...She had to deal with her poor luck for now and find something to eat.

She suddenly she smelled open wounds. Someone must have caught something... She thought, trying to resist her curiosity brewing. However, all her best attempts failed as she wandered in the direction of the smell.

Anonymous

The Feline raised his head from where he had lowered it, his ears flicking back and forth at the sound of a distant voice. He had been thinking of taking a nap for a few hours â€" there was nothing wrong with sleeping for fun â€" but if there was someone in the woods, that would be much better. He shifted into a crouch, ears pointed forward now and tail lashing. The voice sounded human â€" or at least humanoid. That could be deceiving, perhaps, but he was too curious about who would be in the woods.

He waited to see if there would be more voices â€" but there wasn't. With a growl of frustration he was about to settle down â€" but then his ears caught the distant sounds of footsteps and he sprang up again, leaping father into the tree to get a better look. Pale green eyes stared at the shape moving closer. Definitely humanoid then. Probably human, but too far away to tell. His claws gripped the tree as he leaned out farther. Female, it smelled and looked like.

His curiosity was much too developed to just leave it like that. He grinned and snuck across, leaping to another tree. Now he took the hood off as he tried to creep across the branches as silently as possible. Grinning, he decided to try and get the jump on the woman and dropped from the tree, hoping to drop behind her. Upon landing silently, he casually piped up, "Hey. Whatcha doing in the forest?"

Anonymous

Kahlen blinked and whirled around the face the feline. She had whipped out a wooden staff and was pointing it at his nose.

"Who are you?" She asked, a slight frown appearing on her lips. After a slight pause, she lowered her weapon slightly. "Oh...You were to one I smelled the blood on...And why do you care why I'm here?" She asked, resting her free hand on her hip, her long blue skirt settling about her legs. "Why are you here?" The mage retorted, raising an eyebrow.

She did not like the idea of having been followed...Not like it was too much of an issue. Just unnerving. She had been taught by her older brother, who was a skilled tracker to never let herself be followed. She had learned to live by this rule. Karo, Kahlen's brother, had left quite a long time ago to avenge their parents' killer...He had not let his sister come with him. But, being the person she was, she had attempted to follow him anyway, taking jobs in order to maybe get information on his whereabouts.

But things were not going well.

Anonymous

Sirin, the instant the staff was pulled out had his hand reaching behind him and suddenly there was a battleaxe in his hand. He didn't raise it threateningly just yet, but he kept it ready now, disliking a staff pointed at his nose. He grinned disarmingly at the woman, keeping the axe low. "Sirin Kaf-Trelun. Just call me Sirin. Kaf's my species name anyways, silly thing to name the clan, dontcha think? But others call us Felines anyway. Who are you?"

He had no problems chattering away, his eyes watching the woman's movements. Despite her frown, he continued grinning, his pointed teeth showing just slightly. "The blood would be from the rabbits." He shifted his weight slightly and quirked an eyebrow up. "I don't care, I'm just curious. There's a difference. Sorta." He briefly ignored the last question, considering her. His ears twitched, but were still relaxed and his tail waved lazily, showing just how casually he took the whole confrontation.

Finally he leaned back and barked out a laugh. "Why should I tell you? You're not telling me, and I've got the same right to the forest as you do, right? And I asked first," he responded, smirking. Causing a bit of trouble would at least keep him from being too bored. If it came to it, he could always just fight her.

Anonymous

When Kahlen sensed no direct threat to herself, she plopped backwards, sitting upon her feet. "I'm sorry for that...Things have just been a bit annoying lately..." She planted the end of her staff into the ground, beads hanging off of it jingling softly. "And my name is Kahlen...My last name doesn't really matter anymore...It's a bit of a mouthful and a bit bothersome, you see..." She trailed off, smiling sheepishly.

She then noticed his strange features an tilted her head slightly to one side, her short black hair falling about her face. "I've never seen anyone like you before..." She murmured, somewhat in awe. "You remind me a bit of my teacher, but she wasn't technically a Feline...And I'm sorry for being a bit rude...As I said, things have been a bit down recently." She rested her chin in one of her gloved hands, placing her elbow on her knee.

"And you don't have to tell me if you do not want to...I was just curious, also..." The young woman retorted with a slight frown, blinking her mismatched eyes innocently. "If you really want to know why I'm here...I'm lost..." She finished reluctantly. When she said it, she felt like such a child. If her teacher could see her in this position, she would surely have preached to her about using her senses and magic correctly.

((Sorry this has taken so long...-bows-))

Anonymous

Saran had been traveling for long time as she kept getting herself lost. She was feeling strange emotions from two and it bothered her some. She was searching for the two that were sharing this emotions and finding just one of them would of made her happy, but everytime she went in one direction it faded. Finally when they stoped she caought them again there emotions strong. SHe went slowly as she knew she was not far and  and paused when she seen to figures up ahead. she really couldn't make out but they were both holing something. Saran moved her blue hair out of her face and took a couple steps toward them trying to be silent but it kinda seemed pointless cause with everystep she took a twig broke so she just stoped and knelt down to have a better look at the two.

The woman she seen was holding a staff but it was pointed to the ground not being held in a threatening way. She couldn't really she much of the female. She could feel the aweness she felt in the man making her curious about him. When she looked at the other figure she couldn't really make out what he was. He had a few feathers but his laughter was that of a dog. She couldn't make out anything else really about him. They'd have to be closer. Although she could see him holding some sort of axe behind him which made her upset as she never liked seeing anyone or anything hurt, as it would hurt her. She felt danger from the man but did not know about the female. Maybe I'm in the wrong area... She began to think about backing up, but was too much drawn to these two to do so. Maybe I could go wolf and get closer....nvm one of them seems to like animals. She thought deciding it would be best to stay still.

Anonymous

An eyebrow arched slightly as the young woman plopped down onto her feet and obligingly he crouched down to her level, to better keep his eyes on her. He shrugged off her apology. "I don't care. Makes things a bit interesting to be threatened sometimes. And if you can't find some fun in that, what can you?" He guessed his sentiments would fall flat, considering she seemed a bit on the depressed side. "If it's bothersome, forget about it," he said reasonably â€" though he sometimes found his friends bothersome. But that was different. People weren't names and bothersome people could be and often were just a bit of fun to be around.

He tilted his head, strands of pale red hair falling into his face. That sounded interesting. His eyes lit up with curiosity. "My kind doesn't seem to be around here. But what do you mean not technically a Feline? Was she a half?" That was technically possible â€" but rare, at least from his clan. And not half-humans, either. Half-Snakes had been the most common. But there had been few humans up there. They were new and interesting to him.

His ears twitched, faintly hearing twigs breaking but he didn't immediately turn his attention there. He shrugged and answered the woman's speech. "I can't help you with being lost. I don't know where I am â€" I'm just exploring. I know a few landmarks, but I don't know the way to your town," he said, still sounding cheerful. "How long have you been gone? Maybe I can follow your path back to... wherever."

It was then his slitted gaze snapped to the side. He didn't see the person â€" but he knew they were there. "Hello out there. Do you want to come out?" Even if they didn't, he could and would track them down and drive them out. If they were dangerous â€" well, it had been awhile since he had chased down some dangerous prey. His cat like instincts did like to play with the prey before they died, and a part of him was almost eager for a fight â€" but he doubted this would be a fight. Probably just another human wandering toward him.

((Sorry guys, it's a bit late!))

Anonymous

Kahlen felt him watching her and frowned slightly, glancing up. "Why are you looking at me like that? I'm not going to attack you...It is stupid to fight without reason...It wastes energy..." She explained, waving the hand her chin was not on, causing her staff to vanish. "All right...It isn't really important anyway..." She sighed, looking towards the tree-blotted sky.

"Well...I actually don't think she was Feline at all...But she did have ears and a tail similar to yours...But they were more the colour of my hair..." She explained, picking up a stray strand of the aforementioned ebony hair as an example. "But she only grew those when she became very angry with her other student and I...Then her eyes turned red too. I never knew why, but the older student did...And she would never tell me..." At this, the Mage frowned at her own thoughts. It had been hard being the younger of her teacher's two students. Especially when she did not have as much natural talent as the elder girl had possessed.

"Well, you see...I was exploring a bit...But I did have a destination..." She explained hastily, try not to sound idiotic. "I just...Well..." She giggled sheepishly at herself. "I suppose my mind just...Carried me off, you could say..."

At his call, she turned towards the sound as well, not saying anything. I'm such an idiot... She thought, disgusted at having let her senses slip off duty. How could I not sense anyone? Teacher would be furious...I'll never get my job done at this rate...

Anonymous

Saran jumped at his voice and was frightened. she didn't like either's emotions and knew she should probably get out of their sence of her but so long as she could read there thoughts she could follow them. Sarnan rose to her feet as quite as possible keeping herself behind a big tree. She didn't want to hurt them but didn't want to be hurt so Saran pulled out one of her daggers on her belt and took a look at their posistion. She grabbed one of her daggers and through it at a tree inbetween them and another further to distact them while she took off in a run. Her feet and speed were faster then she thought making her trip at first but she just got back up in a run failing to notice the blood driping from her arm. She thought of climping a tree but wanted to get some space between them. Finally with one leap she began climbing up a high tree as fast as she could.

No way they could see me I was probably to fast. I'll be safe if I can get up there. She thought climbing faster, worried what they might do to her if they see her.

(I know, I'm Late. Please forgive me)

Anonymous

He listened with interest to the story about her teacher. That was interesting, but he didn't know all the species of the world, after all. Who knew what her teacher had been â€" but he was curious now, and he tried to store the description in his mind. He would probably forget. But if he didn't, and he saw someone like that he would definitely ask them what they were. Cheerfully he said, "Perhaps someday I'll see her and find out what she is."

He shrugged at her explanation. He had been exploring as well â€" sort of. He just didn't have a destination, ever. Maybe one day to find his friends again, but they could take care of themselves, and it was much more fun to explore new lands. "There's nothing wrong with exploring," He said. "You'll find your way back eventually." There were only so many ways she could go, and eventually she would have to hit a town â€" and she could get directions from there if she wished.

He cocked his ears toward the daggers as they impacted a tree, but even as he saw another coming he was hissing in the direction they had come from. He did not like people throwing daggers at him and he bolted toward the person he had heard before. He was faster than a human of course, though he couldn't be sure this one was a human â€" so he didn't try to catch up, just to stay on their trail. He smelled blood after too long and fell back into a lope. He didn't have a good of a nose as a Canine â€" but he still had a good enough sense of smell to follow blood â€" and there was no reason to hurry now. His eyes narrowed, his fangs flashing as he grinned.

He cocked his head as he reached the tree, staring up in amusement. "I climb very well you know. And I do not like people throwing daggers at me." To prove his point, he leapt into the tree and began climbing swiftly. As he got closer he purred, "You should apologize for that."

Anonymous

Tishan frowned when the deer bolted. He had been about to shoot it down when something had scared it. He had caught a faint glimpse of a blur shoot past. Curious now he put his arrows away and shouldered the bow. As he crept silently towards the tree. He heard the sounds of an approaching runner again and stopped. He stood as still as a rock as he heard a voice call out into the tree. Apparently there was some trouble.

He unsheathed his long hunting knife and drew nearer to the tree. His long silvery hair got into his eyes, he brushed it away impatiently. Maybe there wasn't trouble, he couldn't be sure. He heard looked up into the trees and felt his eyes focus as he managed to make out a blue haired figure high up. Another figure was approaching as he unconciously reached for his arrows. He stopped himself as he decided to wait. If it came down to a fight he would do his best but he would rather that wasn't the case.

((I hope you guys don't mind that I joined in))