Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Safe Haven

Started by Anonymous, January 30, 2007, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

((For Rabbit, but if you want, you may join =D ))

Sarelle sighed wearily as she set down her satchel on the ground and sat down on a rock, resting her sore feet. She surveyed her surroundings. The afternoon sunlight streamed through the gaps in the branches above her, casting dappled patches of light all over the ground. The evergreen trees around her were dense and close-together, but she thought she rather enjoyed it. She felt safe, protected.

She had been traveling for days on end, wanting to put as much distance between Connlaoth and herself as possible, in case some suspicious people decided to follow her. Through a chance meeting with another wanderer, Sarelle had learned of a place called La'marri, a refuge for people like herself. As a Haithian, she was most unwelcome in Connlaoth, her former home, and the night she turned sixteen, she immediately set out to leave. La'marri seemed like the best place to go for now.

After a lot of wandering, Sarelle had finally found the place, hidden away from the likes of the people of Connlaoth. There were plenty of magic folk there as well as non-magic folk, living peacefully alongside each other. No one shot others a suspicious glance or accused someone of using magic. No, there was instead a sort of quiet acceptance. Nevertheless, Sarelle did not stay long, even though she enjoyed the place quite a lot. She stayed only long enough to buy a loaf of bread and a bit of cheese to eat, for being around so many people again caused her head to be flooded with all their thoughts and feelings, before leaving for the isolation and quiet of the forest.

Sitting on her rock, Sarelle sifted through the items of her bag and took out her bread and cheese. As she ate, she enjoyed the tranquility the forest brought her. A bird chirped in a nearby tree and the wind whistled softly between the needles of the evergreens. And a small distance away, Sarelle could faintly hear the gurgle of a stream. She couldn't remember a time she felt so relaxed and...free.

Anonymous

The small slender being with the tiniest of fists hurried through the forest, awkwardly tripping over huge gnarled roots as she shot backward glances seemingly randomly. Pausing for a brief second, she brushed the strands of wispy silver blonde hair that were now sticky with sweat from her face, and knelt by a bush. A retching sound followed soon after.

“That’s better,� Sylvia muttered to herself, wiping her mouth with the back of a hand. Her intense emerald eyes clouded over as she remembered the horrific events that she’d been forced to endure barely minutes ago. Having just escaped from the Necromantia dungeons with another stranger, for a crime she hasn’t even committed, they’d been on the run when the stranger- whose element had been ice- suggested that he use his magic to help them escape. This had involved becoming literally frozen, before sinking into the earth, and the stranger’s magic had not gone so well with Sylvia’s own magic, which was that of lightning. Unfortunately, they’d become separated, and she’d appeared with a horrible thump in some new foreign place that was definitely not Necromantia.

The calmness of the forest reminded her of her old home, but once again she banished thoughts of the past from her mind as the little sprite carried on her journey.

What an outcast I must appear to others. Guess my quest was fruitless after all.

“Kra’jit!� She swore, cursing the sky. “I’ll never find it out! If Necromantia can’t help me, then who can?!�

She closed her eyes impulsively, and shook her head. There was nothing else she could do now, except to find out where she was. She missed the stranger. Despite his oddness, Drejan had had a quirky quality to him that she’d been able to identify with, even though she’d only known him for…an hour. She didn’t get on too well with that many people, having been a recluse for a good number of years, but that jail encounter did make her smile.

Maybe I can smile more often too.

Just then she tripped over again.

“Kra’jit!�

((Um, hope no one minds if I randomly jump in? â€"so bored- If yeah then let me know and I’ll delete my post…but Sylvia’s backstory can be found under the thread "No rest for the magically challenged" in my signature...and her stats are accessed from there too! ))

Anonymous

Saran loved the forest and everything about it but for one day she could feel everyone's emotions double in the forest almost as if there was two of everyone. More scars appeared on her back from her own nails and dried blood remained. She couldn't block it out no matter how hard she tried she couldn't.

Saran was about to go off and find her own place in the woods if this continued for another day. She already lived far enough to not hear them but since it seemed doubled even from where she lived she could feel there emotions and had to cheak it out. Nothing like that had ever happened to her before. It wasn't long before she got there, and not long after that did she notice someone new. She seemed but a teenage a very pretty one at that. Her hair matched her eye. Could she be like me Saran began to think. She couldn't really tell with her hair covering her forehead.

Saran decided to follow the girl who had got a loaf of bread and some cheese.Savan thought of nothing and so felt nothing so she wouldn't be noticed by the girl and soon the girl began to leave into the forest. She followed every move she made silently and watched every movement she made, Finally it was quiet again and Saran was debating to go wolf or stay herself. Saran never hid her gem but wondered if other's like herself did. She seen the girl sit on a rock and began eating and decided she was no threat to talk to. Saran walked up quietly behind her....

Hello girl, you are knew here? She questioned, knowing the answer. Saran couldn't help but feel abit happy to meet someone knew.

Anonymous

Sarelle felt her before she heard her - a faint curiosity mixed with a bit of hesitance. And also a lingering pain that she knew all too well. Sarelle was instantly alert, but as she didn't feel any sign of agression in this person, she did not move but instead, continued to eat her meal.

When she heard the question, Sarelle turned her head and tipped back her hat to allow her a clear view of this stranger. It was a young woman, perhaps a few years older than Sarelle, with long dark blue hair and blue eyes...and a matching gem in the center of her forehead. At this discovery, Sarelle's pale green eyes widened in surprise, and her free hand nearly lifted up to her own forehead to brush the peridot sitting behind her green bangs. But she restrained herself at the last second. Years of living on Connlaoth had made her extremely cautious around strangers.

'Is she like me? she wondered. As far as she knew, no one was.

Completely forgetting about the stranger's first question, Sarelle pointed at the young woman's forehead.

"You have a gem in your forehead. Why?"

((Nightshade, don't worry, I'm not ignoring you! I'm happy that you decided to join in, but I felt I had to "answer" Saran's question first. Please feel free to keep going and introduce yourself to Sarelle and Saran =D ))

Anonymous

She doesn't even know of them gem she thought at first. Maybe she's not like me, but what could be cause the difference in the emotions I feel? Saran was very confused as she turned and staired into the girl's eyes feeling she was like herself in some way. Saran didn't want to keep the girl waiting for her responce.

Oh the Gem, I guess you can it's a birth effect, but it feels more like a curse though. Very rare is it something good, but atleast it's rarly then never. You look like a young teen what are you doing to far away from home? After explaining alittle she questioned. Just to hear her responce and how she felt when responding made her quite interested. She couldn't help but stare and wonder if she's like her a another human looking species with magic abilities messing with her own. She know nothing of the girl but felt her hurrt from her childhood.

My lady what is your name, I am very curious and will not dare harm you. My name is Saran. She could feel her mistrust from past and wanted to assure her she ment not harm and was liking her company.

(Nightshade hi yes your welcome here join in whenever.)

Anonymous

Sarelle relaxed a little and she took a deep breath as she felt some of the tension in her shoulders disappear. The woman, Saran, did not seem to mean any harm, and certainly the feelings she was radiating were not agressive at all. Only curious, it seemed.

So Sarelle dipped her head as a greeting and said quietly, "My name is Sarelle. I come from Connlaoth but I left that place just recently. There was nothing there for me except death, so I thought it would be better for me to leave." Sarelle attempted to smile, but it seemed more sad than anything. "I wasn't accepted there, you see. If you've ever been to Connlaoth, you'd understand their views on magic. They hate it and fear it at the same time. I don't know if I can do magic, especially the kind they detest so much, but I know I'm not like the others. Even my hair aroused suspicion. So I left before they could accuse me of anything."

Then Sarelle turned her eyes upwards to meet Saran's. She was still bursting with questions, and although she normally wouldn't have dared, Sarelle could not help but ask. Until now, she had never met anyone with a gem in her forehead like herself. But even so, she could not bring herself to trust Saran enough to show her just how similar they were.

"I'm still curious about that gem of yours. You said you were born with it, but how is that possible? I mean...most people don't have it so it can't be...normal. And what do you mean when you say it is a curse?"

Anonymous

I know it's not normal but it's me. I honestly don't know much of it's history as I was never told myself. By what I mean a curse, is that unlike other's like me I seem to feel more then them. It's kinda hard to explain. People like me feel others emotions, but I seem to feel it more then them, it's puts a strain on both me and my body cause I never knew how to block it out or anything. I know it sounds crazy but I feel others emotions strongly and they been acting weird lately almost as if their were double the emotions or some like me could feel them to. I thought that was you but I guess I was mistaken. Saran had to breath, she never talked that much in a row in her life. It was but breath taking.

Saran could feel her saddness but not really what she was sad about which was unlike her. Why so sad? she said touching her shoulder. It was the first time she touched someone in 8 years.

Anonymous

Sylvia sat up, spitting leaves and dislodging the twigs that had settled in her hair. Just then, she noticed two figures talking between the slender trunks of the trees. She tried to get up, but winced when she realised she’d twisted her ankle.

“Jeez…� It would hurt for a while. She rubbed at the small swollen ankle, cursing silently to herself, for she was unsure of whether these people would be hostile or not. It would be better if she could get away whilst she could.

She closed her eyes, and whispered to the forest. As if by magic, the tree trunks parted ever so slightly, allowing her a better view of them. They both looked rather magical, which made her wary. After that mad teleportation and escape, she’d decided to avoid magical areas for a while.

A small sheaf of paper floated down beside her. It must’ve fallen out of her cloak when she fell. She snatched at it from the air and studied the markings carefully. It was a map, but of what use was it when she didn’t even know where she was? Stuffing it back into the folds of her cloak, Sylvia tried to stand up again, without taking her eyes off the two people ahead. The smallest sound could alert them to her presence…even though she highly doubted it seeing as she’d been crashing and yelling through the forest moments before. Still, she couldn’t take chances.

Anonymous

Sarelle was so deep in thought that she scarcely felt Saran's hand on her shoulder. From what she understood, Saran was almost exactly like her - that is, they had the same abilities, similar appearances - and that they had been born with them. Sarelle didn't know the circumstances of her birth and never knew her parents, so she had no idea. She assumed she was just strange. And Saran had said "People like me". Did that mean there were others?

She could feel Saran's sympathy behind a tumult of other emotions. And if Sarelle concentrated, she could just make out her own confused thoughts and emotions, underneath all the layers of everything else Saran was picking up.

A flicker of a true smile - one of hope - appeared on Sarelle's face as she shook her head. "I shouldn't be sad, really, but I can't seem to help it. There is always sadness in the air, it seems, whether it's from the earth itself or from the people that pass by or live near here. It lingers, as if it's seeped into the very essence of the ground and the trees and the flowers. But I should be happy now. I feel like I'm finally free and I'm learning many things that I never thought I'd find out about..."

Sarelle paused for a moment and lifted her hand to brush away her bangs from her forehead, but stopped mid-way as a terrible pain washed over her. She clutched her ankle and gasped in pain, her olive green hair falling over her shoulders and obscuring her face. There was someone nearby with a hurt ankle. But it wasn't just the physical pain that bothered Sarelle - she had endured many a beating at the orphanage, especially at the hands of the other children. No...she also felt a torrent of emotions, all of them negative - anger, frustration, fear, lonliness...And all of it was being doubled by what Saran was picking up and feeling.

Sarelle squeezed her eyes shut and focused all her willpower into blocking the pain from her mind. After a few agonizing moments, the pain dulled slightly, though enough that Sarelle could gain control of her breathing once again and stand up straight. Brushing back her hair, she glanced up saw a curious figure a small distance away, half hidden by the trees. Wincing, she limped halfway there and cautiously peered through the branches and needles that blocked her view and knelt down.

"Your ankle...it's hurt, isn't it?"

Anonymous

Saran knew the girl was like her when she talked about the saddness all around cause thats all that she mainly felt and then when they felt the same exact pain and both reached for there ankle she knew and was stunned. it was freaking and awesom all at the same time. Then she watched a Sarelle got up limping toward a figure in the distance which she hadn't even noticed.

You are like me, your everything like me. she said aloud with great happiness and pain from the other figure. Thank you for being here! Then Saran looked to the figure. She was now able to stand up and walk toward it noticing right away it was a female.

Toward the Figure. I have some bandages for that ankle of your's miss. Don't worry I won't hurt you. SHe knew the girl would be freaked out we knew of her pain and not the noses she made. But she hoped the girl would'n't move to much as it would be painful for us just the same as it would for her.

Anonymous

Sylvia’s eyes widened and she jerked back, tense, but relaxed when the first girl spoke. A wave of relief washed over her as she realised that they were friendly beings.

“There are still good people in the world,� she murmured, smiling. “I…should have sufficient magic to heal my ankle, methinks.�

She closed her eyes and focused, but nothing happened. She must still be recovering from that horrible teleportation spell.

“Kra’jit.�

Looking vaguely sheepish, she cocked her head to one side and said, “Um, on second thoughts your offer of the bandages sounds very appealing.�

She maintained her smile, hoping she conveyed an air as neutral as possible. She’d never seen people like these two before, with their strange coloured hair and the little green dot in the middle of their foreheads. They looked like princesses from a story book she’d read long ago, or perhaps like a race of people lost in time. Well, Sylvia herself was the only one of her village left and they both looked as if they’d seen the world through lonely eyes for far too long. What a gathering of beings.

“What are your names? Are you forest spirits?� She asked them both, wide eyed. Nothing humanoid that wasn’t vaguely magical was ever that friendly, she’d learned over the years. Humans feared magic as much as they feared each other- one of her lessons she remembered back in the days when her village still floated over the beautiful waters.

Anonymous

Sarelle felt the figure in the trees tense and then relax, and slowly the pain subsided enough that she could hear Saran's words clearly.

'You are like me, you're everything like me...Thank you for being here!' she had exclaimed.

Sarelle's lips tugged upwards into a small smile, but it turned into a grimace as her ankle throbbed again. Especially because she was so close to the girl in the trees, Sarelle could feel her pain, and although Sarelle was blocking most of it out, she could still feel it a little. There would be more time to talk to Saran about their similarities. For now, the one in the most pain needed the most attention.

She brushed away the tangled branches of the trees, revealing a small girl half-sprawled on the ground, her ankle becoming quite swollen. Sarelle guessed that she had tripped and sprained it. Even though she felt concern for this stranger, she could not help but feel a bubble of laughter rising in her chest, but she held it back. Her quiet nature and secretive past did not allow her to laugh as openly as she wanted to.

"No, we are not forest spirits, but we are not human either...at least, I don't think we are. In any case, we can help heal your ankle. I know some herbs that may help with the pain, although I will have to go find them for I have never ventured this far away from home before," Sarelle answered with a faint smile. "My name is Sarelle. And you need not fear me. I also am one who wishes to escape those who fear magic. I take it that you also use it? What is your name?"

Anonymous

((I’m not butting in or anything- just a quick response to Sarelle’s question!))

“Sarelle,� Sylvia said, articulating each syllable. The name had a pleasant ring to it, making her smile despite her cautiousness.

She interlocked her fingers together and stretched, cat-like. Many of her actions were so quick and childlike, they gave others a false sense of security. She was always underestimated, due to her height and slender fragile appearance, another prejudice she’d had to live with.

A memory of that guard’s hands on her body as she was thrown into the jail flashed through her mind again, and she thought about asking for something that could cleanse the soul…for a joke.

“I’m Sylvia.� She extended a hand, arching an eyebrow at the words of Sarelle. Interesting.

“And, uh…until a few minutes ago, yes you could say that I too was…evading pursuit for...various reasons. You could say that magic is more of a burden than a gift.�

She couldn’t have phrased it better.

Anonymous

After he agreed to take the bandages, while those two were talking Saran went searching her coat for them, but also if Sarelle said it was swallon then the girl would need Ice and she'd have to go see the others in the forest for some which she hated doing. She hated there saddness and pain, but Saran wanted to help her, so she headed over to the girl to bandage her.

I am what Sarelle said, and my name is Saran. Saran smiled at noticing sh look different but no different then what she had come accross in the past. She looked so cute when she stretched her hands like a cat.

Sylvia. thats an odd name... Saran Began to wrap her foot as gental as possible knowing wear it hurt made it easier for her. She soon as she finished she moved from the girls presance. She only touched someone long enough to help them.

Saran turned to Sarelle in her normall quite voice. If you can get the herbs I'll stay with the girl, then when you come back I'll leave to get Something ice cold for her. Saran waited pationatly for her responce wondering who else could be new in this forest. It bothered her when she didn't know of something or someone, but Saran never thought about it she always thinmk of the love of her mother holding her in her arms as a child and of the many creatures she helped since she's been in this forest.

Anonymous

Sarelle nodded her head, still smiling. Sylvia. What a beautiful name - short and simple, yet it reminded her of the beauty of silver, like the girl's hair.

'You could say that magic is more of a burden than a gift.' she had said.

Sarelle's smile faded and she simply replied, "Perhaps."

And as Saran came forward to wrap Sylvia's ankle in bandages, Sarelle stood up and began searching for some herbs to help ease Sylvia's pain. She felt vaguely guilty about leaving the two of them alone together, but she supposed as long as they were not completely alone, it wouldn't be too bad. Throwing one last glance back at them, she shouldered her satchel and disappeared into the dense trees.

It was not long before she found a small winding dirt path between the trees. Deciding that it was most likely the safest way to go, lest she get lost, Sarelle stayed close to it, keeping her eyes on the ground in search of any useful herbs. Unfortunately, there were few herbs here that were of any use. The tall, majestic evergreens blocked out much of the sunlight from reaching the ground, and their powerful roots must take up a lot of rain water. Sighing, Sarelle pressed on.

As time went by, Sarelle found a few choice herbs, although not as much as she had hoped. She searched for about thirty minutes before deciding that she had better head back to help Saran and Sylvia.

"I found some peppermint and listerblossom, although not much else," she said when she returned. "The listerblossom will help with the pain. The peppermint will help your stomach, and it will make the mixture easier to swallow. Please wait here while I fetch some water."

Sarelle got up once again and headed towards the stream she had heard earlier, taking her empty flask with her. The stream was not too far and its water was cool and clear. She found a rock about the size of her fist and cleaned it of its dirt and then filled her flask to the brim, capped it, and brought it and the rock back. Nodding towards Sarah, she said, "You can find what you need now. I'll stay here with Sylvia and prepare something for her to drink."

Taking the rock, she began to crush the peppermint and listerblossom, mixing them together expertly and catching their juices. She mixed it in with the water in her flask and handed it to Sylvia. "Here, drink it. It'll help."

Anonymous

“I can’t remember the story behind my name,� Sylvia said, smiling ruefully.

She winced slightly as her foot was bandaged. Saran seemed to enjoy working in silence, so she tapped her fingers and enjoyed the general murmur of the forest. Maybe she could travel with these two beings for a while…at least until the next town.

When Sarelle reappeared, she watched her with interest as she worked at making the potion for her to drink. As her species was aligned with nature, namely the element water, Sylvia had a basic knowledge of healing, although not to the extent Sarelle clearly had. But…being born the freak pixie she was, her element just had to be the freak one that got them all killed.

She clicked her tongue in disdain. Being aligned with lightning had meant that she’d been unable to partake in many activities of the village.

Sylvia accepted the potion without hesitation and raised it to her mouth. Sniffing it, she breathed in the scenty aroma of the herbs and drank it in one go.

“Thanks. I should be OK once my magic catches up with me.�

Feeling as if she owed them both something, she thought up quickly- “I don’t have anything of value to give to you in return, but if you’re travelling, I can make fires and light which could help you both. But…apart from that I…�

Trailing off, she stared at the ground.

Anonymous

Saran went back to the crowed area of people looking for one in particular. It took awhile as she was always on the move to different places. Saran paused and had to feel the woman's emotions. Her emotions were always happy for some odd reason so she was always easy to find and Saran would just follow her emotions till she reached her stand/home.

Hey Susan I need to barrow something very Cold or if they delievered the Ice yet some of that. She spoke softly and quietly as Susan had great hearing.

What is it now, off saving another animal? Susan Questioned  with a non-stop smile.

More like a girl, please. Saran sighed as she walked in only taking a few steps while Susan left breaking off some Ice and wraping it in a special cloth for Ice that kept it cold so it would melt.

This is very expencive but you'd do the same for me as you did plenty of times. Susan smiled handing her the wraped cloth of Ice. Thanks Susan. Saran took off in a run as she hated being around so many people. When she reached the point there were only a few slight emotions she began walking tracing her steps to the two girls.

Saran didn't speak she just walked forward and handed the girls the wraped Ice in special grey and bue cloth. Then she quickly knelt down beside her. She had already spoken alot for the day.

Anonymous

Sarelle watched quietly as Sylvia downed the mixture of water and herbs, and smiling softly, took back the empty flask. She could feel Sylvia's gratitude and the little girl's words were completely sincere. But there was something behind it, as well. Fear? Fear of what? Sarelle remained quiet and looked Sylvia in the eye, trying to ascertain what the girl was thinking. She caught glimpses of isolation, being labeled as someone different and letting down those she loved. It was terribly sad but the fact that these negative feelings had ceased to take over Sylvia's heart were fading into her past was encouraging, and that made Sarelle happy.

Sarelle shook her head. "Saran and I are not traveling together. We only met just before you arrived. I do not know what kind of plans Saran has, but you are most welcome to travel with me for a time...although, I myself do not have any plans. I am simply wandering the earth, searching..."

Sarelle paused. What was she searching for? A home? A family? Something else? She wasn't entirely sure, and thus, her sentence faded.

As Saran returned, Sarelle detached herself from her thoughts and said, "Nevermind. Besides, you do not owe me anything. Your thanks is enough. If you have other places to go instead of wandering aimlessly with me, then you shouldn't feel obligated to do something for me in return."