Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

...New Beginnings...

Started by Anonymous, May 21, 2007, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Yua slowly walked the streets easily manuvering through the crowds of people. As she walks she took in the sights and sounds of this new city so different from the secluded little village she had come from. She wondered if she would fit in here. It had been so easy in the past everyone around her had been there since she was born but it was time to move on; there were certain things she had to leave behind. She lightly stepped away from the crowd and leaned up against a storefront. She brushed her long brown hair away from her face and looked up at the sky and her crystal blue eyes twinkled in the sunlight. She closed her eyes and just listened to the world around her. She felt she may have finally found the place for herself.

Anonymous

"Bloody Hell!" Xerc cried as his body flew from the door.  He rolled onto the cobblestone covered in dust and dirt.  He landed square on his back, the wind clearly knocked out of him.

"And stay out! You no good bastard!" cried the owner, a thick man with more hair on his arms than on his head. Steam sprung out of his ears and his neck reaped purple of pulsing veins as he went back into the door muttering many an obscene word under his breath that would have made the fairest of ladies faint in shock.

Xerc climbed to his feet when he regained himself and cursed at him.  Wiping the dust off his pants he sighed a deep breath and uttered, "Aye, you steal from a man once and you're marked for life."  At that moment he noticed the young girl leaning beside the storefront.  He asked, "I hope he never did this to you either, fair lady."

Anonymous

Looks over at him and smirks slightly. "Never had the opporutunity, I've just arrived in town. Not that I'd be stupid enough to get caught stealing anything." She snickers slightly.

Looks over at the door where the owner had already retreated to. "I'm guessing this sin't the first time that happened to you. Unless this is just how you pick up women. If so you might want to rethink your tactics, I'm sure you'd do fine just talkin to them, you are kinda cute after all." Looks at him out of the corner of her eye and smiles slightly.

Turns her face back to him. "I'm Yua by the way." Holds out her hand to shake his. "And you are...?"

Anonymous

Xerc chuckled lightheartedly from the notion and returned her gesture by putting out his hand and receiving her handshake then said, "Xerxes Landian.  But you may call me Xerc, if you please."  He flashed her a gentlemanly grin and bowed in congeniality.  He released her hand and reassured her, "I'll have you know that this isn't a normal way I'd meet anyone, let alone a young lass such as yourself.  That disgraceful owner threw me out because he supposedly recognized me of a certain crime that had happened before on a certain evening before closing."

He stopped shortly brushing his blond hair out of face then continuing on, "He should really be blaming himself if he leaves his till open and can't count to save his life."  Xerc laughed a bit from his own pitiful joke as he folded his hands behind his back and finished, "So, Yua, what brings you to Arca on this bright sunny day?"

Anonymous

Smiles and dips head head slightly in greeting. "Pleased to meet you Xerc." Frowns slightly when referred to as a young lass, hating when she's treated like a child, even when it's completly innocent. "I'm not that young. I'm 18 years of age and I've experienced much more than most my age."

Quickly moves past her momentary disdain and looks around. "So this place is called Arca?" Looks back at him and smiles slightly and scratches the back of her head. "I actually just stumbled upon this place. I've been traveling and I've been trying to find a place to stop and figured why not here. The problem is, I don't know anyone and I don't know where there's an inn or some place I could stay."

Anonymous

Noting her resentment, "Please, forgive me.  I didn't mean to refer to you as childlike.  And I've learned plenty of times that a woman is really quite a woman at the age of 18."  Xerxes nervously chortled upon his manner.

Immediately he changed the subject and replied, "That's interesting.  Well it seems you've just come to the right place at the right time.  I just so happen to know an inn not to far from here and I'm good friends with the man who owns it.  If you'd like, I could get you a room for a generously fair price.  Sometimes, it's amazing the amount of embarrassment that can come to a man to bring it to one's advantage.  I could help you if you'd like?"

The thought of encountering a newcomer in the City of Arca reminded Xerc of the first time he entered the city in search of a refuge.  He was a ruffian than, not more than an disrespectable footpad foreign to just about everything in the world except his childhood home in Ketra.  His mother, a well-rounded woman with strict rules and loving arms, always knew how to tame her unruly son even when his strong work-ethic father couldn't.  But even now, Xerc did not miss his old life, for he has never been one to dwell too much on the past, and only looked forward to the the rewards or consequences of passing days.

Anonymous

She brightened up considerably when he offered her help. "Really!? That would be fantastic!" She is nearly jumping up and down from excitement then suddenly stops. She looks down and feels at a pouch hanging off her belt and you hear a slight jingling. "How generously fair of a price are we talking about because I don't have much." She pulls out two or three old looking coins from the pouch then looks up at him blushing slightly from embarrassment.

It's not that she was poor, her family had usually been pretty well off. Her parents didn't support her leaving, they didn't understand why she would leave, It would have just been too hard for her to stay there after everything that had happened. So, She grabbed what she would need and left for wherever her feet took her. Apparently she hadn't taken enough.

Anonymous

"Oh don't fret.  I'll have Danekis give you a fine room for the lowest price possible...I just hope he doesn't go bankrupt one of these days...." Xerc said quietly to himself.  He brushed away the notion and continued on, "And if you still don't have enough, I might be able to help you out."  He smiled generously and when she said nothing he grabbed her hand cried out, "Well come on then, we'll not get there by standing around!"

Xerc's sudden jolt immediately slowed into a relaxed strut.  They crossed passers-by and merchants storefronts.  There were women, most of them human, who held their children's hands and huddled babies to their bosom.  Men accompanied their wives on days out or simply were upon their journey home from work.  The sun overhead hadn't been interrupted by a cloud in the sky and didn't give off the overbearing heat that came with a summer's day.  Wind whispered beautifully through the trees and brisk buildings and complemented the voice uttered from Xerc's lips, "Aye, I remember when I first came to Arca.  I was only a boy of sixteen then and knew no more than the back of my hand.  But now that five years have passed since then, things have been going quite well, even though there have been sudden drawbacks.  So, Yua, how long do you plan on staying in Arca?"

Anonymous

She was extremely startled from the sudden jolt but then laughed slightly as they ran. When they slowed down she took the time to take in the sights and sounds of the city. She stared up at the clear sky and was lost in thought until Xerc's voice pulled her back to reality. "Well, I hadn't really even planned on coming here. I also don't know how I'm going to stay here, or anywhere else for that matter unless I find someway to make money. I can't always depend on extremely generous strangers for the rest of my life." Looks over at him and smiles lightly.

"Wherever I happen to go I just know I'm not going back home. I can't, there's too many bad memories. That's the whole reason I'm here now." She sighs and looks away, reminiscing. She turned back towards him with a forced smile and the faint hint of tears that were being held back in her eyes. "So what was it that brought you here?"

Anonymous

Apparently he hadn't noticed the moisture slightly excreting from her eyes for he simply replied, "The conformity of my life back in Ketra was what first led me here.  Everything there was just so boring and all my father wanted me to do was 'Work, work, work!'  He never knew really what it meant to take a seat and put your feet up.  Of course, he being my father and all, I occasionally gave consent to help him with his work, but most of the time I'd taken a liking to my own kind of money-making.  It was adventurous, exciting and a trade that was all too much suited to someone like me."

Xerxes paused and inhaled deeply the freshness of an afternoon gust in his face.  He persisted, "But another reason I left was that it was time for me to find my own way in the world.  My mother never saw a day where she was prouder then when I explained that it was my time to become an adult.  And my father neither.  And so I went traveling from place to place, not know exactly where'd I'd end up, much like yourself, and I finally ended up here in this beautiful city.

"It was then that I decided it was time for me to settle down.  Start a new life in a new place.  I ended up doing odd jobs for shady characters about.  Stuff that I probably shouldn't have done, but, hey you do what you gotta do to get money," he laughed.  "It's most best to have money if you want to survive in this city.  Maybe Danekis could give you a hand in your job search.  I hear he's usually in need of barmaids.  But it's your choice."

Anonymous

She listened carefully as he spoke then laughed to herself slightly. "I personally haven't worked much in my life.  Everything has pretty much been provided to me for my whole life that's why this is so difficult for me. I would help my mother around the house but that was all. I'll admit I've stolen before but it's been petty amounts, nothing I could live off of."

She brightened up a bit. "Do you really think he would have a job for me? I don't really know much about being a barmaid but I could learn and I would try my hardest." She began looking around realizing that they had been walking for quite a while. "So....How far is this Inn anyways?"

Anonymous

"Oh we're much closer than we were thirty minutes ago that's for sure, " he laughed.  The facade of a large building began looming closer in the distance.  It contained an architectural structure of a Tudor design and carried a front sign that read: Wyvern's Tail Inn.

"For years the Ramoranes ran this tavern in hopes of good business in and social scaling.  And two of the ten generations that owned it came pretty close to maniacal prosperity, but most of them just became wealthy commoners, not bearing a rich name but a heavy purse.  Now it's latest owner, Danekis Ramorane, is trying his best to live up to his father's legacy.  Though sadly I don't think he'll get very far if he keeps having to house cheap brigands like me for slightly less than fair prices," Xerc said solemnly, though there was a hint of humor in his words.

"I'm sure you'll have no trouble much in finding good work.  I must warn you though, if you take a job in the tavern, you must be formidable in fighting off the groping hands of many a drunkard.  But if you need more funds, I would be more than willing to lend a helping hand."  They reached the front doors of the Wyvern's Tail Inn and Xerc lunged the heavy wooden oaks open with the strength remaining in him from their journey.  The noise within was as constant as ever.  It was as if the inhabitants never slept and only lived to spend their coppers and silvers on that drink at the end of the day.  Xerc led Yua to the front bar where a man in red hair made himself busy by serving drinks.  Before crossing over to the counter, he whispered into her ear, "And there's no rule that says a thief should always work alone..."

"Danekis!" he shouted.  The red haired man's attention was immediately captured and his wrinkles wearing down on his aged face grew a bit heavier when he saw the elf that called out his name.  "Danekis, my good man.  How are you today?"

Danekis shook his head and grimaced, "I've been better.  Though I thought it wouldn't be later till I saw your face again.  What is it ya want?"

"Danekis, this here is Yua," he said pleasantly and gestured over to Yua, clearly ignoring the resentment in Danekis' voice.  "I met her early this afternoon after being thrown out of that bastard Brigg's shop-"

"Ye got caught again didn't ye?"

"Yes! But anyways," he rolled his eyes, "I was wondering if you could lend some work and a place to sleep for Yua.  She's top of the line, I can guarantee, and is in need of a form of pay.  So, what do you say, can you help her out?"

"I'm not sure I can trust anything if it's by your guarantee, Xerc.  But there's always something that needs to be done around here and I'm sure I can find a room for her, let's see what we got, " Danekis said good-naturedly and grabbed a booklet from underneath the counter.  He flipped through the pages and scanned a faded list and found an empty spot on it.  "Ah, here we go! Well come then, Yua. Let me show you to your room.  And you needn't worry about paying for it if you work here."  Danekis stepped out from behind the counter and smiled happily, and in that time there had barely been a whisper in the air of the moment Xerc departed from Yua's side and smiled in her direction as he stepped up the stairs to his room.

[OOC: You're free to control the Danekis NCP if you want as he is the owner of the tavern and the one offering Yua some work.  Happy RPing! =)]

Anonymous

As they entered the tavern she instantly became lost in the sights and sounds. She continued looking around, taking in every aspect of the building and the people, until she heard herself being introduced and instantly changed her attention to Danekis. "I'm very pleased to meet you." She stood there trying to look somewhat presentable while Xerc finished speaking to Danekis.

Yua began to follow Danekis to her room and waved slightly to Xerc as departed. She then turned her attention back to Danekis. "I can't thank you enough for this, I really had nowhere else to go. Um....Xerc had mentioned something about a possible job as a barmaid. I was wondering if maybe I could do that? I don't really have any experience but I can learn" She looked at him and smiled hopefully.

Danekis looked at her unsure. "Well, I could use the help but I don't need someone inexperienced screwin' things up. But, I suppose I could give you a chance." They stopped at a room and he handed her a key. "This is your room. Go get cleaned up and then come down and I'll put you to work."

Yua nods happily as she takes the key and goes into the room. It seemed to be covered in a thin layer of dust as if it hadn't been used or cleaned in quite some time. She walked over to the large canopy bed and sat down on the edge as a cloud of dust surrounded her. She decided she would have to clean later on but wasn't going to complain as the room was free. She looked through the bag that she had been carrying with her and pulled out a black corset-like top and a short flowy black skirt. She checked herself out in a long dusty mirror and then headed out for the tavern.

Danekis looked at Yua as she walked in the tavern. "You're really planning on wearing that while working here? Well, It's you're choice I suppose." He shrugged it off and instantly put her to work. She worked a great deal in the next hour or so, picking up the job easily and making several substantial tips from drunken old men. She was quite content and happy until she spun around and punched a man square in the nose. Danekis quickly made his way over not looking at all happy. "What do you think you're doing? you can't just go around punching my customers!"

Yua looked extremely taken aback. "You think I just punch people for no reason? He grabbed my ass, you can't expect me to just take that."

Danekis looked at her for a moment analyzing the situation. "I suppose I can let it go this time. However, I think maybe you'd be better off doing something that isn't as socially involved." Her stepped away for a moment and then returned with cleaning supplies and handed them over to her along with a ring of keys to every room at the inn. "From now on your job is going to be housekeeping. You'll go from room to room cleaning them up. Do you think you can handle that?" She nodded slowly then walked over and picked up the supplies and made her way begrudgingly towards the rooms and began her rounds knocking on each door before letting herself in to clean.

Anonymous

Xerxes slumped down lazily upon his bed, Lethenia following.  He huddled the dog closely and and caressed her tough, thick, silver fur.  "Aye Lethenia, today has been such a great day, " he said smiling.  The wolf-dog's ears perked up in interest.  He found his heart pounding heavily and he put his hand to his chest as if to keep it from bursting out.  He laughed in spite of himself and continued, "Well not including getting thrown out of a store.  I could hardly understand how he could've recognized me anyways. But I do suppose it was because I was the only one in the shop that night besides himself.  Oh well, what's done is done and cannot be undone. "

He sat up and found his body in a sweat, mostly likely from the heat of the day that streamed in through the opened window.  He took off his sleeveless tunic and thrust it too the corner of the room, where his wardrobe was once kept in an orderly fashion.  Steadily he stood from his bed and over to the washbasin beside the wardrobe and spewed the cool water upon his face and hair.  He slid his wet palms down across his slender muscles and sighed heavily.  Looking down he saw Lethenia pant thirstily and said, "Oh girl it seems your thirsty too.  I can see why,  it's this damn hot day."  Xerc waltzed to a cannister of water and and poured it into a deep tray, setting it on the floor.  Lethenia hurridly drank from the bowl straightaway.

He chuckled and threw himself back on his bed and exuberantly shining his past-time smile.  "Oh, Lethenia, I met this most wonderful girl today.  Yua be her name.  She's bright, and beautiful and has the smile of an angel-"  The ears shot up from her head as she whined, turning her head in his direction.  He laughed at her action and reassured her, "Don't worry girl, you'll always be my number one.  But there's just something about her that I find utterly brilliant."  

There was a knock at the door and voice that sounded, "Housekeeping."

Xerc got up from his spot and patted Lethenia on her large skull.  He stepped towards that large door barricading he and the worker and was a bit surprised to find Yua on the other side.  "Oh, hello, Yua."

Anonymous

She stood in the doorway looking utterly disheveled. She had only been to about 11 or 12 rooms but she was already spotted with dirt and had used an old piece of cloth as a makeshift bandanna to hold her hair back. When she saw Xerc she brightened considerably. "Xerc! Can I ask you something, how long has it been since there was someone to clean this place? Every room I've been to has been absolutely filthy. I can't wait to be done with my work for the day so I can go wash off.

She stopped talking for a second realizing she had begun to ramble and in that moment she finally noticed Xerc. She caught herself staring at his body and quickly shook her head and looked up at him. "So...um...Where was I? Oh! So you're probably wondering why I'm here, with this." She held up a bucket of water with a rag hanging off the side and a feather duster in her other hand. "Well, I had been doing a good job as a barmaid, I had actually made quite a good amount of money, but this man grabbed me so I turned around and punched him. Needless to say Danekis wasn't very pleased that I was punching his customers, even though he deserved it, so he said that it would be better if I did something a little less people oriented. And so I'm here, cleaning these disgusting rooms." She smiled and laughed slightly realizing she hadn't stopped talking about herself. "So how have you been?"

Anonymous

He moved out of the way and motioned her to enter.  Closing the door behind him, he said, "Actually it has been a while since Danekis hired some good help around here.  I usually am able to maintain the room by myself.  Keeps him from having to do daily rounds, but I've actually been quite busy lately so I seemingly haven't found the time."

He raised his arm and nervously scratched the back of his head.  Around him were clothes strewn about and dust covering nearly every visible inch of the room.  All except the bed, ceiling, and part of the floor.  "Heh," he muttered.

Then his attention turned to Lethenia who had stopped drinking from the bowl and began utter a low rumble in her throat.  Her lips pursed up and her snout scrunched back revealing the large fangs that could shred their way through the toughest of hides.  "Oh dear."  He rushed to her side and calmly breathed into her ear, "It's okay girl. She's a friend. This is Yua, the one I mentioned before."  He continued to mutter words of comfort to her and stroked her head.

When she finally calmed down, he hugged her and released his embrace.  Turning to Yua, "I'm so sorry about that.  Usually she's quite calm around strangers.  Except those she doesn't trust of course.  I didn't expect that from her this time though.  Are you alright?"

Anonymous

She entered and looked around the room. She chuckled slightly to herself as she looked around and set her supplies down in an empty spot on the floor. "I don't know, I may have to ask for a little extra for cleaning this one." She looked over at him an smiled jokingly.

Her attention was suddenly drawn to Lethenia. She watched silently as Xerc subsided the animal's anger. She smiled gently and looked from Lethenia to Xerc. "It's fine she's probably just mad at me for keeping you away from her all day, isn't that right girl?"

She nodded slightly when asked if she was alright. "I'm fine just a little tired and not really looking forward to the work I still have to do but that's just life I guess." She shrugged it off as nothing.

Anonymous

He laughed gently, "It's quite possible, even though she's quiet most of the time.  Danekis only let's me keep her so long as she stays inside my room.  Poor girl, locked up in these wooden walls with nothing to do but tear up the place."  Lethenia yawned and moistened her noise.  Wagging her tail in congeniality, she cautiously stepped towards Yua and barked for a pat.

"It seems she likes you now," Xerc laughed.  He stopped for a moment to gaze at her attire.  He felt a leap in his chest as his eyes gazed down to her clothing that hugged the curves of her body.  Noticing where his eyes were going next, he quickly shifted his attention and stuttered, "S-so..um..I think I'd best be going out for a while.  There's some business I need to attend to and I think you should finish up your work.  The last thing I need is Danekis crawling up my ass about keeping his employees from doing their jobs."  Chuckling subtly he walked over to his wardrobe and picked up a clean shirt from the rack.  He slid it over his body and whistled for Lenethia.  She immediately followed his command and, after glancing her a smile, said, "I'll make sure you get your pay. Honest."  He raised his right hand in pledge formation and smiled as he departed.

Anonymous

She watched as Lethenia walked over then smirked slightly when she barked. "Oh, so when you can get something out of it then you want to be friends, I see how it is." She leaned over slightly and gently patted Lethenia's head and scratched her behind the ear. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Xerc looking her over but did nothing but smile slightly to herself.

She stood up and sighed slightly. "I suppose I should get back to work, as much as I would like to avoid it." She looked over at Lethenia. "I'm trusting you to keep him out of trouble, I still haven't gotten a chance to pay him back for helping me today." She looked up at Xerc, smiled and waved slightly as he left. Once he was gone her mood dropped slightly and she looked around the room and sighed realizing the work she had ahead of her.

She spent a considerably longer time in his room  cleaning than she had in the others, wanting to make everything perfect for him. As a result of doing the extra work there she slacked in the other rooms, though they still looked considerably cleaner by the time she was done. As soon as sh was finished she retired to her room and dropped down on the bed feeling exhausted but finding it difficult to sleep as she was thinking of the events of the day. She eventually drifted into a light sleep.

Anonymous

The sun had fallen behind a few clouds in the sky as colors spewed about the once blank canvas.  A hazy orange, a stabbing violet, quickening blue, and diluted red all coming together as if reveling in the presence of hastening night.  This was the time for a thief.  

But working was far from Xerxes' mind right now.  All he could think of was the events of that afternoon to this following evening.  It was like it was all a dream, their meeting, his aid.  But in the end, Xerc knew, it all had to fade away eventually but some startling awakening...Though he knew he still was sleeping.

He walked with his dog beside him down the now sleeping streets of Arca; only a few passers-by had crossed his path but most of them seemed to have nothing to hide.  All civilians, he suspected, no harm coming from them.  He passed a few closed up homes, some with lights in their window ways,  and others were stores ready for closing.  His boots thudded tenderly on the cobblestone, Lethenia silently padding beside him.  His pale face couldn't keep his grin at bay and he let loose.  He stopped his treading and paused at the mouth of a dark alley, feeling the growing pressure in his bladder.

"Lethenia, wait here, " he whispered to her gently watching her comply his request.  He continued further into the darkness and stopped at the dead end where he relieved himself.  He breathed a sigh of relief and, when he finished, he strapped up.

All of a sudden, as Xerc began to walk back, he felt a weight drop upon his shoulders.  He stumbled to the ground groaning from the surprise when the back of his shirt was lifted and his body was pinned to the wall.  "What the-"  before he could muster the rest of his words, a fist of adequate strength plummeted into his stomach.

The sounds within the darkness of the alley alarmed Lethenia forthwith.  She plunged into the alley to her master's aid.  

"You're three days overdue, Xerc! Where's my money?" Demanded the voice of the assailant.  His oversized features were shadowed but Xerc instantly recognized the voice to be of Dirsk Mayhremen.

"Dirsk? Dirsk!  I-"

The barking of Lethenia interrupted his answer.  Her fangs coming head-on but was kicked to the side by the expeditious swipe of Dirsk's leg.  The yelp vocalized by Lethenia caused Xerxes to cry out her name.  Dirsk struck out at him as he ordered, "Call off your dog, Xerc!" noticing she was coming back to her feet ready to strike again, this time with flawless precision.

Xerc obeyed, "Lethenia, down girl."  The dog backed down slowly, growling like an angered dragon.  "It's okay, girl. I'll be alright, " he murmered then he turned to Dirsk.  

The man's tight grip on his collar told him that he may be there for a while, when his thoughts were torn by the age-ridden voice, "You're not going to be alright if you don't pay me what you owe me.  Now I'm going to ask you one more time: Where's my money?"

"Dirsk, I-I forgot."

"Forgot?  Ha! An elf never forgets.  I was born at night but not last night.  Now try again."  He slammed him hard against the wall, nearly knocking the breath out of him.

"Listen, I really did.  Something came up."

"Wrong answer!"  Dirsk's hard knuckles came crashing into Xerc's face, a drop of blood coming from his nose.  "Now, I want my money, Xerc.  I don't care if you have to plunder or murder to get it, but I need my gold from you."

"Look, I may cheat, steal, and lie, but I would never murder or plunder!  You, of all people, should know me better than that!"

"I don't care, just get me my funds.  And if you don't,  I'll find someway or another to get it, even if it means destroying everything in your life...including yourself..."

Xerc's eyes grew wide with fear, barely finding the strength to answer, "Fine...I'll get you your money."

A conniving grin grew wide on Dirk's rough face as he told him in return, "Good answer.  You have till the end of the week"  With that his now empty hands flew ever-strong blows to Xerc's body and face.  Even as he fell to the ground, Dirsk continued to rain hell upon him, but in a quick flash of final adrenaline,  Xerc blew him back with a raging gust of wind.  Dirsk flew back and landed unconscious on his face.

Hurridly, Xerxes climbed to his feet, cradling his bruised arm, Lethenia following closely behind him as he ran all the way back to the Wyvern's Tail Inn.  Zigzagging through enigmatic shortcuts, he finally made it back to the building in one piece.  As he stepped towards the entrance, he stopped, knowing he didn't want any questions about the state of his face.  Deciding to go around back, he briskly stalked the corner, spotting his open window.  Despite his pain, he picked up Lethenia and leaped to the pane, easily climbing in.  Xerc closed it quickly and breathed heavily in the darkness.  

Slumping down on his bed, he removed his sweat-soaked shirt and worn boots.  He laid there in the dark, a swarm of trepidation coming over him, and only able to utter in a distilling whisper, "Aye, I fear I entered a perilous game of cat and mouse..."