Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

...New Beginnings...

Started by Anonymous, May 21, 2007, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Yua rustled in her bed having woken up. After several failed attempts to make herself comfortable and fall back to sleep she sat up in the bed. This is absolutely ridiculous. I need to clear my head somehow. She rolled out of the bed and pulled a pair of pants made out of a gauze like material out of her bag as well as a long sleeved tunic top knowing that it would be stupid to go out at this time in anything similar to what she had been wearing earlier.

She quickly left the inn and took to the streets. As she walked she smiled to herself as she took in the sweet night air and looked up at the star filled sky. She began to reflect on the day forgetting about the few people still walking the streets.  If it hadn't been for their chance meeting that day she would probably be sleeping in the doorway of one of the many shops that she passed by. She couldn't understand what she had done to be granted his kindness but she knew somehow she would have to repay him. She also knew that she had some inexplicable attraction to him. However she didn't believe he saw her as anything more than a damsel in distress that he would rescue then move on to the next. That was how men were after all, wasn't it?

She decided that she had to speak to him at that moment. She began to make her way back to the inn at an ever quickening pace. Once she reached the inn she tried to remember which of the many rooms were his and once she had done that she made her way there.

She stood in front of his door and raised her hand to knock. She stopped herself once her hand was about an inch from the door and dropped her head. What am I doing? I've known him for not even a full day. She turned and let herself slide down the wall til she was sitting on the floor next to the door. She laughed to herself slightly as she looked over at a window at the end of the hall and realized what time it was. I must be out of my mind. I was about to wake him, if he's even here. That would have looked great for me. She crossed her arms across her knees and set her forehead on them trying to think over her feelings and the way that she should approach them. However it slipped her mind how little sleep she had gotten and how tired she truly was and she slowly drifted to sleep, eventually ending up asleep in a huddled ball on the floor.

Anonymous

Xerc fell into a restless sleep, barely able to move from the pain of the bruises on his body.  His eyes shot open from a spark of a nightmare in which involved a very sharp knife, his throat, and menacing laughter coming from a man's voice.  He put his hand to his neck and winced at the thought.  

Slowly but surely he roused from his position and sat back against the headboard.  Clenching his eyelids hard, he released them and allowed his eyesight adjust to the darkness.  For the first time he noticed how he could see all of his floor,  the starkness of the wood panels accenting the light walls.  Wow, he thought, Yua did quite a job well done here.  I did promise to pay her.  Involuntarily, he found himself moving off of his bed and heading toward a drawer when he caught himself halfway.  His foot paused midstep, nearly crushing Lethenia's tail, and receded back.

What in the blazes am I doing?!  It's as dark as the blackest mountain crevice!  She probably won't be awake in her room anyways.  Xerc retreated back into his bed, his heart exhaling as if a bit disappointed.  He shook the notion aside in his brain and gently lied down.  But this time his eyes wouldn't shut.  They kept a locked gaze with the immaculate ceiling.  He drifted off into a state of bethinking.  Nearly dreaming but entirely awake.  Like a halfway stop between slumber and reality,  a place where Xerxes could rest for hours.

But he didn't have hours.  Or if he did, he at least didn't want them.  Time was never an important thing to him.  Why not take his time if he could?  He didn't need time to constantly remind him of the dues he had to pay.  Or rather, due.  "Why, " he quietly asked of himself, "did I bother to help Yua today?  It took time away from important things.  Things in dire need of attention.  She distracted me.   But why?"

He closed his eyes and stopped thinking, reassuring himself that he did the right thing of helping someone in need.  Yeah, she distracted him, but so do a lot of things.  No.  This was different.  He couldn't pinpoint the exact reason, but, somehow, he knew, it was a different sort of distraction.  One he hadn't experienced in quite a long time.

Xerc scoffed at himself and came to a decision that he would surprise her with a few silver.  Such pay would most likely be more than she would receive in tip and, after all, she did such a good job in cleaning up the disaster that had once been his room.  He walked over to his chest of drawers and took out seven silvers from his drawer and headed towards the door.  Slowly and cautiously he unlatched his lock and opened the entranceway.  No one inhabited the stark hallway, except the clump of person whom he recognized.  "Yua?" he whispered.

Anonymous

Yua tossed in her sleep. Her dreams turning to nightmares and back. Much of the time she had visions of herself being cold and alone, wandering with no place to go. She whimpered every so slightly as the visions haunted her, threatening to consume her being.

At the sound of Xerc's voice saying her name the visions changed to her memories of that day. A small smile appeared on her face. Then suddenly she was roused as it suddenly clicked in her brain that he was actually talking to her. She looked over at him her eyes still mainly closed and obviously still half asleep. "Xerc? What are you doing in my room?" At that moment her eyes began to focus and she noticed the window at the end of the hall behind him. Through it she could see the first rays of sunlight and suddenly she remembered where she was.

She quickly stumbled to her feet. Leaning against the wall for the balance that she had not yet gained, she looked at Xerc smiling hopelessly while she tried to develop a reason for her being there. "I....um...you see...I'm here because....umm....I wanted to say....good morning to you....so umm...good morning!" She winced and looked away as she thought about how stupid she must have sounded right then.

She slowly brought her gaze back to him and with the help of the few rays of sunlight that were now illuminating the hall she finally noticed how beat up he was. "What happened to you? Are you alright? Stupid question obviously you aren't but I mean...I don't really know what I mean but are you going to be okay?" There was obvious concern in her eyes as she looked him over, noticing more injuries as she went along.

Anonymous

His face lit up at her first words.  "Aye, good morning to you too," he replied in a friendly manner.  But his gladness soon vanished at the sudden mention of his bruises.  He had forgotten all about the pain and state of himself.  His empty hand moved from the gash on his lip to the would upon his chest and arm.

Quickly he mentioned, "Uhh, I'm fine I just got into a fight that's all.  Some damnable man thought he was the ultimate juggernaut and took a smash at me then wanting me to brandish any gold on me."  He shifted his vigil from her to the money in his hand.  "Here," Xerc handed her the silver coins.  "That's for the room.  You did a wonderful job.  The place is...spotless."

He wheeled around and attempted to enter his room when a sharp agony coursed through his side.  He growled and fell to the wall, catching himself just in time.  Clutching his side, he felt the tenderness of an opened slash wound.  Only something that could have uttered by a blade,  but as he remembered, Dirsk didn't have a weapon but those at the ends of his arms.  Though he did recall landing on a sharp piece of glass when he was tossed to the floor like a helpless rag doll.  Xerxes' attention confined to the redness upon his side, spotting tiny hints of blood on his hand.  A bit dazed he said, "Well, this seems like a nice surprise.  Never expected this to happen.  Heh, it's even bigger than my forearm."

The slash mark extended from his lower abs and ended around to his ribcage.  Its openness was a gory site but to his relief it only bled where it was opened deepest, at its tip.  He agonizingly made his best efforts to retreat into the haven of his room.  Obviously, his ignorance of his need for medical attention was coming back to bite him in the ass.

Anonymous

She looked at the money as he handed it to her. "I couldn't take this from you. I was just doing my job." She held out her hand to give him back the money but dropped it that next instant as she quickly moved to his side.

As she noticed the gash in him she became a little faint from the sight of the blood but forced herself to maintain composure knowing he needed help. She looked him over with concern in her eyes then looked up at him with a look that asked how he could care about his health so little that he would be out with this injury. She quickly pushed her own feelings to the side and ducked under his arm trying to provide some sort of support to make it easier to get in his room.

She slowly lead him over to the bed and helped him ease himself onto it. She stood there at a loss, she had only dealt with with someone that had a serious injury once before and it didn't turn out well that time. She couldn't think about that now she had to act. "Do you have bandages or anything around here? We need to get you cleaned up before that gets infected. What were you doing out of your room anyways?" She began to rummage around for some sort of first aid kit to tend to him with. "I cleaned this whole room top to bottom today, you'd think I'd know where everything was." She laughed slightly to herself despite the situation.

Anonymous

His eyes rolled around the room, exhausted from his night jaunt but even more of how little sleep he had gotten.  Now, even though he was on the verge of keeling over, he maintained his awakening by the regular shocks of pain as the breath of him quivered softly in and out of his mouth.  Noting her hysteria, he offered some word of assistance, "I keep a medical cannister underneath the table beside the window.  There's a bottle of alcohol in there given to me by a very disturbed witch doctor on a- Ouch!" Xerc recoiled due to another passage of pain up his but he persisted, "On a jaunt in the desert."

The dog relaxing on the floor stirred gently and whined when she saw her master on her bed, quivering.  She scaled to her feet and rested her head on the sheets, along with a single paw.  He perched his head up spotting his awakened friend, "Good morning, Lethenia.  You're so cute when your worried.  But you have no reason to be girl, I'll be fine." He laughed and continued, "Listen do me a favor, and close the door, please."  Wagging her tail slightly, she listened and shut the door with a good push of her paw and snout.  She joined him on the bed, her belly coming into contact with the soft sheet.

From there, he relaxed, his voice softening in drowsiness.  But he continued on with his desert tail, vividly describing a venture in which he thought his own hand to be a snake, running out of water, and a battle with a bloodthirsty brigand whom he had take a great deal of money from.    His voiced muffled subtly and he drifted off into a soothing slumber.

Anonymous

Listening carefully to every word he spoke she quickly found the canister. She pulled out the alcohol and set it to the side while she pulled out the strips of cloth to be used as bandages. She cleaned them as well as she could in the washbasin while listening to his story and chuckling to herself lightly.

Once she had them cleaned she gently walked over to the bed where her was know slumbering and looked down upon him gently. She pulled a chair over to the side of the bed and looked over at Lethenia. "He's gotten himself in to quite a bit more trouble than he's letting on hasn't he girl?" She turned her attention back towards him.

She poured a small amount of the alcohol onto a cloth and dabbed the wound a small bit then looked up at his face for any sign of discomfort. She then realized how ridiculous it was seeing as how he had a huge gash in him. She continued to clean his wounds and once finished got ready to bandage him up. She tried her hardest not to disturb him though found it slightly difficult as she had to move him slightly to bring the bandages around. Once she had finished she sat back in the chair and silently watched over him.

Anonymous

Lethenia crawled closer to Xerc's body as he laid there, breathing slowly.  When she heard Yua's voice, she whined as if trying to tell her what happened the night before.  She recalled watching her master get flung about and not being able to do a thing about it.  Like a helpless child watching their mother get abused.  She desperately wanted to defend him, to return the favor of saving her life as a pup but was under his command and told not to attack.  If she had disobeyed she would betraying her loyalty and love for her master.  It was a double-edged sword and she knew it whether she wanted to or not.

Her eyes gleamed hopefully that he would awaken as bright and normal as he ever would be.  If a dog could cry she might as well have, even the courageous and clever wolf blood in her couldn't hold back the emotions colliding with it.  She whined and laid rest her head on Xerc's thigh.  All she wanted was to see him anew, to be alright as he promised he would be.  She knew he would keep his pledge, he always did, just as he kept his promise to always take care of her and feed her on time.  Lethenia was also familiar with the incredible strength of spirit beheld by just about all light elves.  But despite this power knowledge she could help but feel remorse at his state.

Anonymous

She looked over at Lethenia and smiled gently. "You really care about him don't you girl? I can understand why, he's pretty wonderful. But I don't think you really have to worry about him, he seems like one that'll pull through." She leaned forward and gently patted Lethenia's head.

At least she hoped that he would pull through. She didn't really know what she was doing when she was bandaging him up she just did the best she could. She just knew that if he didn't...No. She couldn't even think of it, she was going to do everything he could to help him though this and whatever it was that caused it. She sighed as she sat back, continuing to watch him, waiting to see any change.