Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Finding my feet

Started by Anonymous, June 03, 2007, 08:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

As the merchant's wagon train (not as impressive as the term sounded, as it was only two wagons) rolled into Reajh, one plain, round-faced girl sat at the front of the second wagon, beside the driver, and quietly surveyed the city. Unlike a lot of girls from rural areas coming into a city of this side for the first time, she wasn't bouncing in her seat, squeaking, or oohing and ahhing. Aurain wasn't really one for that sort of thing. She was bouncing a little in her seat, but that was because this particular road into the city was cobblestone, and it made the wagon itself bounce in a not entirely comfortable manner. She did watch very intently, and her mouth was slightly open at the sight of all these people and buildings, but other than that, she was quite controlled.

The wagon driver leaned over and murmured to her helpfully, "You're gaping. Any much more and you might be drooling."

Her mouth snapped shut almost immediately, and she shot the man a mock glare. While she wouldn't consider him a friend, she did like Caoir, and had gotten close enough to him on the journey from Kend to Reajh that she was comfortable giving him looks that silently promised painful retaliation. He just laughed, shaking his head. "I don't blame you. It's  a beautiful city, you know. Grew up not far from here, and I always wished that I actually did live here."

"Yeah, it makes you a lot more interesting to girls when you come from Reajh 'stead of plain ol' Wind'aven," she responded, her glare turning quickly to a smile, slightly mocking.

"Okay, I'm going to ignore the majority of that comment and just say that I do not romance girls. I'm interested in women, I'll have you know."

Other girls might have responded with And I'm not interesting? Aurain didn't. She wasn't one for flirting or coyness - she just rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him. Not the most mature of answers, perhaps, but she didn't need maturity with Caoir. He was hardly the most mature of people himself, despite being nearly ten years older than her.

The wagon in front of them came to an abrupt halt, and Caoir, paying more attention to Aurain than the wagon in front of him, completely missed it. Thankfully, the horse exhibited a bit more intelligence than the wagon driver and stopped by itself a short distance behind the first wagon, snorting derisively and flicking an ear back at Caoir in an almost scornful fashion. If, that is, horses could feel such complex emotions as scorn, which Aurain rather doubted. Thian, the driver of the first wagon - as well as the merchant who owned both of them - jumped down quickly from the seat, striding back toward the second wagon, Caoir and Aurain.

"Alright, girl. This is where you get off, and you're on your own from here. Also, you still owe me twenty coppers for the ride." If Caoir was someone Aurain liked, even if not a friend... Thian was the opposite of that. Aurain wasn't one to cultivate enemies, but Thian came very, very close.

"I do not," she said, climbing down carefully from the wagon seat - she'd fallen from the wagon often enough that she rather didn't want to do it again on these hard cobblestone streets. She might break something. "The deal was twenty coppers, an' I paid you that on the way in."

"It was twenty at the start, and twenty after," Thain insisted, and Aurain merely fixed him with a flat, disgusted look. Now she realized why her mother always complained about merchants and how they were trying to cheat her out of her money. Caoir might be the only exception in the world, and he didn't particularly count in Aurain's eyes.

"It was not, you're lying, and I'm leaving," she said, reaching up calmly to grab her bag full of clothing and not much else out of the wagon. "Goodbye, Caoir."

"Be careful," Caoir cautioned, and then added almost as an afterthought, "Goodbye."

Thian stood there, simply looking shocked that she'd so flatly ignored his request, and perhaps that Caoir didn't seem to back him in the least.

Aurain turned her back and walked off, bag slung over her shoulder. Men and women passed by, jostling her a little, but Aurain was a big girl, not easily shouldered aside, and while she gave a few irritated looks as they bumped her, she mostly ignored it and kept walking, meanwhile trying not to look around too much, trying not to look like some out-of-town bumpkin. Perhaps she should have looked around more, because it didn't take even fifteen minutes before she stopped, frowning, as she realized she had no idea where she was, or how to get to the military academy from here.

And then Aurain swore, albeit under her breath. Anyone who had any thought that Aurain was an innocent young woman would have immediately been disabused of that notion had they been close enough to hear exactly what she said.

Tally

Ah, Reajh.  Bustling, busy Reajh.  It gave Tyne so much energy just to be out in the middle of it all, to be a part of it.  And to think he could be stuck in the castle doing actual workâ€"perish the thoughtâ€"or else trapped in the academy under the thumb of some instructor or other who was convinced that <I>they</I> were gonna be the one to make a soldier out of him.

His superiors had worked out what to do with him at last, though.  They'd been sending him on low-priority raids in which his one job was to just stand there and be a Mordecai while someone who actually knew what they were doing went in to apprehend the mages.  Most of the time it bored him to death, and <I>all</I> of the time it left him feeling useless and grumpy.  The stuffy old officers who gave him his orders were getting sharper and sharper.  They were wise to all his usual tricks for slipping away from the castle grounds.  Crafty bastards.  He welcomed the challenge.

Today he'd just barely made it out.  Still wearing his uniform, even.  Thank the gods for servants' entrances and that one kitchen maid who was sweet on him.  He'd have to bring her back something.  Not that he minded working every now and then, but people who didn't cut out and have fun became…well, Beatrid.

Now where was that vendor?  Last time he was out he bought some absolutely to die for sweetcakes from some vendor that he would've sworn was on this street.  They'd had honey on 'em and they were still warm from the oven. And he just got paid yesterday, so he's gonna treat himself again.

He stopped in the middle of the street to get his bearings.  He had a tendency to space out sometimes and just wander around.  The crowd jostled him as he stood on his toes and peered up and down the busy street, and then he heard a muttered expletive that made him turn around and stare down at a girl behind him.

"Did…did you say that?"  Amused and now highly curious, he broke out a quirky grin.  "What's wrong, kid?"  A passing brute with the broadest shoulders Tyne had ever seen bumped into him and nearly knocked him right over and Tyne yelled over his shoulder an invective of his own, the kind that would get him broken in half if he weren't wearing his uniform.

Anonymous

Aurain's eyes widened a little in automatic and unthinking innocent denial. Her parents would have likely tanned her hide (figuratively speaking) if they'd heard her using words like that, so it's only natural for her not to admit that she had. "Say what?" she asked, but something about the man's easy smile set her rather at ease. The automatic innocence faded, replaced by a quick, though somewhat shy smile.

"I was just... I was trying to find the military academy?" she asked hopefully, eyebrows raised in silent question of please help me find my way. "I'm... you know, new here. I was going to join the army."

Standing there, looking hopefully up at him, she looked terribly young, and probably too young to join the army - and then she remembered that she was supposed to look older, mature, and drew herself up, forcing herself to look composed and mature (or at least her idea of it). Anyway, this man looked like he couldn't be too much older than her, not really an adult... her oldest brother had to be older than he was. She felt rather safer talking to him than she would have someone else, someone older and so on. At least he didn't look like the type to lead her into a dark alley and rape her or whatever. That was reassuring.

Anonymous

May Timmi and Band still jump in here? Or no? I don't mind, but I finally had my post for this written up. XDD

Tally

[OOC: The more the merrier, I say. ^^ Aubrey?]

Still getting jostled occasionally by the press of people passing on either side of them, Tyne raised an eyebrow and smirked at her initial tactic.  Heh, cute.  It brought back memories.  He'd pulled the innocent little boy bit a lot when they first brought him to the castle and expected him to fall in line with the rest of the soldiers.  He'd pulled it a bit too often, because eventually they stopped feeling sorry for the pitiful, malnourished youth they'd dragged in and stopped letting him get away with things.  No worries, he was always one step ahead of them, anyway.

"Aw, the military academy?  Join the <I>army</I>? Why on earth would you want to do something like that?"  Was she crazy, this girl?  All that work and training and stress.  Unless you were starving or something, why put yourself through the aggravation?  And she certainly didn't look like she was starving.

He knew that some people might actually <I>want</I> to join Connlaoth's army, but the why of it would always elude him.  Hell, he was still trying to figure Beatrid out.

The whole point of him going out today was to stay away from the academy and the castle, and now he was going to run right back?  Hell no, this was his free day.  She was looking up at him with this look on her face though, a look that made it hard to refuse.  And she was lost, and he had to admit she seemed like an all right kid.  He liked her already.  The little innocent routine and the shy smile already clinched that.

And he actually felt, y'know…<I>needed</I>.  Which was nice for a change.

"Anyway, the academy, huh?"  He sighed.  "Yeah, I can show you.  Though I generally try to avoid the place, myself.  Makes life easier." He jerked a thumb behind him and started a few steps in that direction.  "We gotta go this way.  I'll have to make a stop on the way, though.  Hey, you hungry? I can buy you some, too!  Oh, I'm Tyne, by the way.  You'll see me around, I'm a Mâ€"ah, I'm a soldier."  Damnit! He'd done it again, almost blurted out that he was a Mordecai. Damn, damn, damn! He had to stop doing that.

Anonymous

((OOC: Absolutely!))

Aurain blinked at the man's confusion over her wanting to join the military. She didn't entirely get that - it was a job, a good one that would give you security for life, if you managed (and, you know, didn't get killed...). "Um, yes? It's a job, an' it's pretty much a sure thing, so I fig'red it's better than nothing. Sounded better than anything else I could be doing..."

She shrugged, giving him another smile. Truly, she wasn't trying to guilt him into helping her - she wasn't nearly that devious - but if it worked out that way...

Her smile brightened as he agreed to help her. She held off on whispering a thanks to the spirits - silly country belief, and she doubted they'd be able to hear her here - but she gave them a silent thanks. Her verbal thanks, of course, went to the young man in front of her, as she bounced a little on her toes and grinned at him. "Oh, thank you! I'm starving. Um... my name's Aurain. I'm, uh... not a soldier. Obv'sly."