Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Wolf In Serendipity

Started by Tally, June 05, 2007, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

The worst thing about the city was the way it smelled.  So many people and animals all living on top of one another, all the waste and peripherals of collective human existence crammed into a small physical space.  It wasn't like in the wild where scents were crisp and distinct, where scent could tell a whole story for those who knew how to read it.  Oh, the city scents told a story too, but not one he liked and not one that made this easy for him.

He wouldn't be in this awful place at all, but hunger was gnawing at him. Had been for months. Even now, in late spring with the prey plentiful, he was slowly starving to death.  He'd tried to hunt.  He'd tried so hard.  He'd watched other wolves and attempted to do as they did, but it wasn't in him. Maybe he never had it, or maybe it went the way of his memories and left him. Even his own name eluded him.  He was only a white wolf, without a pack, without a home, and without any idea who he was or where he was supposed to be.

But all that self-introspective nonsense wouldn't get him fed. So there he was in the darkness just before dawn, loping along the fringes of this human city and looking for garbage to dig through in hopes of finding some half-eaten scraps.

He sighed through his nose. It all made him feel so pathetic and low.  But hunger was a powerful motivator, so he would do what he had to.  A bag of stinking trash slouching in an alley looked promising.  He resigned himself and nosed at it, tugged a little with his teeth, pausing every now and then to flick his ears back and listen.  Humans were such aggressive, fearful things. He's been threatened with knives, chased away by women wielding brooms, had things thrown at him. One little wolf in their city and they freaked right out. He wasn't even an especially threatening-looking wolf.

There, what was that? Some sound from the street behind him.  Maybe they hadn't heard him, or maybe they would think him just a dog and leave him alone.

Or maybe—as had happened once or twice—they would actually give him food. He loved it when they did that.  He'd even wag his tail for them.  They seemed to think that was cute.  Heh.  Humans—go figure.

Rhindeer

You look like shit, little wolf.

The blunt words weren't spoken out loud but were instead sent to the white wolf's mind, and it was a few seconds later before a figure appeared to match the mental voice. Well, he didn't appear. More like he just sidled silently up to the mouth of the alley to lean sideways against one of the walls, arms crossed over his chest, lips pulled into a lazy smile, and bright yellow eyes fixed on the skittish trash-rummaging wolf. He looked totally at ease, a tall, dark-skinned human with shaggy black hair and a casual posture that could have been called friendly--if he wasn't positioned in a way that deliberately blocked off the wolf's escape, and if his eyes weren't filled with a feral, predatory interest that few humans could imitate.

Having taken to the cities himself when the old packs started to thin out and die off, Aki had over the years become accustomed to a more human lifestyle, grown used to the hustle and bustle, to the artificial scents and tastes and sights, to the customs and behaviors and hierarchies of human culture. It hadn't been as much of a stretch as he'd first thought it would be; humans were actually remarkably similar to wolves in a way, and maybe he'd sold out but the hedonist in him had found some aspects of human life far more rewarding. Oh, sure, some things had been jarring at first. For a long time he'd felt suffocated by all the buildings, the closed in spaces, the crowds, the fakeness of it all.

After a while, though, you grew used to it. Especially when you found out that in human society, as opposed to wolves, there were far more opportunities to indulge one's tendencies without getting caught. The cities were huge. It was easy to just disappear, especially when you could enter a city as a human and leave as a wolf. A pest, vermin, likely to get chased and shouted at--but still just a harmless, annoying wolf as opposed to a criminal.

It was great.

This morning, however, his usual routine had been interrupted when among all the usual human smells a new but all-too-familiar scent caught his attention. In all his years prowling the cities (not that it had been very many years, probably only about five if Aki had a mind to keep track of time) he'd never before caught wind of another wolf, and it had instantly sparked his interest.

So, here he was now, staring down a pitiful white wolf as he dug through trash for scraps of food. Ugh. So this was the level they'd all been brought to. Well, except for him. He had dignity, of course. And he couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed that the first wolf in ages that he'd come across was some scrawny little beggar. Oh well. He'd just have to make the most of it. He could still have fun.

Still watching the wolf, gaze steady and intense--a show of dominance, of course--he shook his head and gave a little sigh. It's no wonder, too, if that's what you've been eating. Pathetic. You do still know you're a wolf, don't you, and not a mongrel? Only mutts hunt trash Ugh, maybe this is why I haven't seen many of us...I must keep mistaking them for strays.

[omg I'm so rusty. xD Forgive me.]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Words.  Words in his head. The unexpectedness of it made him flinch and the tone made him shrink back, putting the bag of garbage between himself and the mouth of the alley.  Er, because that'd help <I>so</I> much in the event of danger.

The man that slipped around the corner brought out something instinctive in him. He couldn't place it exactly.  It was the way the man moved so soundlessly, his stance, his voice.  It rose his hackles.  A low growl rumbled in his chest as he backed up a few more paces, ears pressed flat against his head.  Those yellow eyes were on him, unyielding.  He had to look away.

How about the back way out? No, a quick glance behind him and he saw it as a dead end. <I>Probably should have checked that before I even came down this way.  Yeah.</I>

He also eyed the mouth of the alley, but he got the feeling he wasn't getting out that way unless this guy decided to let him.

<I>I…I am not small,</I> he 'pathed back, making sure to put a little bite into his own voice.  <I>I'm </I>average<I>-sized</I>. And he locked eyes with the man when he said it ,too.  Hmph. Who was this guy to show up and be all creepy and insult him? How and why would a human be communicating with a wolf, anyway?

But against the man's next words he had no defense and no excuses. They cut him deep. Every self-defeating thought, all the shame he's felt, it was all right there in the open now, spoken by a total stranger. If he'd been a human, he would be flushing bright red right about now. As it is, all he could do was tuck his tail between his legs and look around sheepishly.  Mongrel, stray, mutt.  He felt the need to defend himself, but against what? It was all true, every word, he just…he just didn't know what else to do.

So wrapped up was he in feeling sorry for himself that it took him awhile to really register what the guy had said. He'd said <I>us</I>, hadn't he? But that meant…

He took another look at the 'human', a good one this time.  This man spoke to wolves, he moved like a predator.  And the white wolf had seen plenty of strange things even in the short space of his recent memory. Things much stranger than a wolf who looked like a human.

<I>Wait…</I>, he said, giving up on feeling sorry for himself in favor of intense curiosity and a little bit of hope. <I>You said 'us'.  What does that mean? Are you…I mean…</I> He was going to feel really stupid if he was wrong.  <I>You're not…a wolf, are you?</I>

Rhindeer

Ooh. Looked like his "words" had made an impact. Aki watched the wolf go from defensive and growling, from having a backbone and meeting his eyes when he defended himself, to looking all sheepish and passive with his tail tucked and ears back...and he found it strangely disappointing. As cute as the whole hiding behind the garbage bag thing had been, it was a little disconcerting that the first wolf he came across in years was, well...like this, more dog than wolf, more passive than aggressive. He sighed a little. Ah well. He wasn't going to let it spoil his mood; he could still have fun with this, after all, and he certainly planned on it.

Frowning in feigned concern, brow creasing, he cocked his head to one side. Aw. Did I really hit a nerve? I'm sorry, he said. I was only teasing.

He pushed off from the wall then and rolled his shoulders, but other than that he stayed where he was near the mouth of the alley where he could keep track of what was happening in the streets. The sun was rising higher in the sky, and while there weren't many humans out this early yet--at least, there hadn't been before he'd found the wolf--they would be out soon, ready to sell their wares and do business and all that. Aki wasn't really worried, but at the same time he didn't really want to get caught standing in an alley, staring at some wolf...which was only better than the alternative of talking out loud to the wolf--not that he was even sure if this one could understand the human tongue.

In any case, it would probably look really weird, and then the white wolf would be screwed. Humans didn't take well to wild animals, after all; Aki had seen hunters selling wolf skins and it had taken all his self control to keep from tearing those humans apart. If there hadn't been a crowd at the time, he no doubt would have. It wasn't like his reputation was snow white or anything, fuck no, but he at least had a system, a code of sorts, for why he did what he did. Killing just to sell skins? Feh. Stupid.

Aki wasn't about to let any harm befall this one. In his own head at least, the wolf was his.

He glanced over his shoulder briefly when a noise caught his attention, but ended up just being a bird. Looking back to the wolf, he grinned, showing off teeth that were just a little too sharp. Aha! He'd finally connected the dots! He'd actually been wondering if he'd catch that and figure it out, or if he'd have to spell it out for him.

Mhmm, I am a wolf. Very good! I knew you were a smart puppy! Aki  'pathed back like a pleased teacher, and for a second he dropped the illusion, changed, and instead of a human there was a large yellow-eyed wolf with thick, shaggy black fur covering powerful muscles. See?

Then the wolf was gone and he was a human again, the change instantaneous. Well, it wasn't a literal illusion; it was honest to goodness, flesh and blood shapeshifting, and it apparently ran in the family.

Like so many other things, Aki thought dryly. There were some advantages to running around humans--like not having to worry about being related to any of them.

Now, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you can't do that. Otherwise you wouldn't be digging around in trash. Unless trash is your thing, of course, and to each their own, we all have our fetishes I guess, Aki continued with a shrug, still watching the wolf interestedly. Now, Snowball...mind if I call you Snowball? Well, hope you do because I will until I know your name. Probably after that too. I'm Aki by the way. Anyway, what was I about to say? Ah. Right. Snowball. In case you haven't noticed, I'm a nice guy. And because I'm so nice, and because you look so shitty, I'm gonna make you a proposition. Breakfast, on me. We can either do some good ol' fashioned hunting, or you get to be my pet, we hit the humans up for some food, and get some meat on your bones. He tilted his head to the other side. Whatcha say? Be quick. People'll be up soon, and I'm not sure you'd make the best rug.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

<I>You're a wolf!  That's fantastic!  I haven't seen another wolf in months.  You don't know how relieved I am.  When I left theâ€"</I>

He cut off when the man shifted.  The sight cured him of some of his flippancy and he backed up another step.  It wasn't just the strength evident in the other wolf, and it wasn't just his own poor health.  It was just the seriousness of the situation that hit him so suddenly.  This wolf was not like those whom he had lived with before.  Not at all.

But he could <I>change</I>.  Remarkable.  He could change from wolf to human.  And if he could do it, maybe the white wolf could as well.  Or maybe he could learn.  Suddenly, for the first time in he didn't know how long, he had a goal.  He was going to learn how to do that.  It appealed to him in a way he could hardly put into words.  It looked <I>right</I>.

<I>Snow…ball?  Hm, well, I guess.  I don't actually remember my name.  I kinda sorta lost my memories.</I>

He hadn't taken any notice, but now that Aki mentioned it, it <I>was</I> considerably lighter out than it had been.  Pricking his ears forward he could hear signs of life from the city beyond the alleys.

No time to think about it.  He rose and loped toward Aki.  Not too close, but close enough to communicate his agreement in this arrangement.  Hunting or…or pretend to be Aki's pet in the city.  On the one hand, he was hungry <I>now</I> and he didn't feel much like humiliating himself trying to hunt with this wolf.  Oh the other hand, the latter choice rather irked him.

He cocked his head to the side and looked up at Aki with lively violet eyes that betrayed the vibrant, determined spirit within him, something masked by the state of his body but there nonetheless.  <I>Okay.  Let's go into the city.</I>  Less chance for embarrassment, right?  Besides, he felt drawn toward it, and he'd never been in a human city at the height of its activity.  He wanted to see it!

Dangerous, this wolf?  Undeniably.  But more dangerous than the risk of starving to death or ending up as some hunter's trophyâ€"which hadn't even occurred to him until Aki said it?  No.  So he'd go, but he'd have to watch himself.  He got the feeling there was a line he didn't want to cross with this wolf.  He also got the feeling he <I>would</I> cross it sooner or later, because frankly his frivolity had a habit of speaking for him at the absolute worst times.  Fortunately that frivolity was entirely gone now after Aki's shapeshifting trick.

<I>So if you call me Snowball, can I call you Grumpy?</I>  Well…maybe not <I>entirely</I> gone.

<I>Where are we going first? Are there any other wolves here?  Are you in a pack?  Why are you in a city?  How do you change from human to wolf?  Do you think I could I do that?</I>

Rhindeer

Lost your memories? Oh, how tragic, Aki 'pathed in a "voice" that certainly didn't sound all that sympathetic, but instead sounded rather bored. Well, wasn't that interesting. An amnesiac.

Yeah, this sounded like it was going to be bushels of fun. He was sure he could give the poor little amnesiac plenty of new memories, and all in a pretty short amount of time if Aki's track record held true here. Already he'd gotten to name him and everything! Wow. That had to be a first. Usually he was just dishing out lame nicknames for shits and giggles, but now he'd actually gotten to name some unfortunate creature who...had no objections to what he called him. Poor wolf. He'd probably learn really soon that that kind of passive behavior was a really, really bad idea with Aki. He already loved to be the dominant wolf around equally dominant wolves, but a passive wolf...that was just asking for trouble. He really wasn’t above taking advantage of someone weaker, even if his own personal code wouldn’t allow him to really harm said person. He had skewed morals, but he did have morals.

Though…on second thought, "Snowball" didn't really seem passive, exactly. No, that was the wrong word for it. He was down on his luck, certainly, but those unusual violet eyes had a tell-tale spark to them, and the wolf had growled and showed some backbone earlier. He was curious to see what he'd be like fed and recharged. Maybe he wasn’t such a bloody <I>dog when he had a full belly.

Nodding as the wolf agreed and loped closer--oh yay, the city, what fun they could have there! Ahem--he snorted a little at his comment. Grumpy? Pah. He wasn't grumpy...

No, because if you do I'll bite you, and if I bite you, you won't exactly be a Snowball anymore, but more of a, I dunno...Blood-in-the-Snow. So don't give me any nicknames, hmm? That's my job. You, however, can be called Snowy or Balls for short. Or maybe both, Aki told him, totally deadpan, before pondering over his questions. Or what he caught of them. Jeez.

Mm... Aki looked the wolf over from head to foot and back. I don't know if you can change or not. I'm not exactly a normal wolf, he said with a shrug. Nah. He was luktai, but that word didn't mean anything here so there was no point in even mentioning it. He didn't even really understand the totality of what he was himself, about all he understood was that his mother, his "Goddess", had come from another world and the luktai were human to wolf and wolf to human shifters. She'd apparently gotten knocked up with him before she'd come to this world, something like that, but whatever the case he'd never been there and that was about where his knowledge on the matter ended.

But I'd say if you don't know whether you can do it or not, you probably can't. Then again, you say you lost your memories, eh? Huh. Maybe you can. I dunno. I'm no teacher, so about all I can say is sucks for you. Yeah, he was helpful all right. Though I could possibly tell you how I do it. Who knows, might work for you.

Turning, he nodded his head toward the street just outside the alley. C'mon. Walk close to me, by my side. In other words... A smirk. Heel like a good little doggy. I'm gonna speak to you out loud, too, like a human would. Do you understand the human tongue? If not, I'll say the command out loud and through mind speech so you get it. Got it? Alright. Remember, you're my pet pooch, so act it. Not that you should have a problem with that, he added with a condescending snort, stepping out of the alley.

As for where we're going...where do you think? Into the city. Where the food is. Don't mind the humans, just act natural. If anyone has a problem with my pooch, I'll handle it, and I promise I won't sell you off for pocket change... He grinned back toothily at the wolf as he said it, though, so if the wolf was worried it probably wasn't too reassuring.

"Now come along, Snowball," he said out loud, and already he could feel the familiar sadism kicking in as he seriously pondered over buying a collar and leash. Gods. It was a little tempting, but he wasn't sure he had the money for both a collar and leash set and breakfast for two, and he didn't exactly want the wolf starving on him. It was another wolf, someone like him (well, kind of), and while he certainly planned on hazing the guy a lot, just because he could and he was bored and that's what he did when he was bored, he didn't want to kill him by any means!

Tally

'Snowy' was beginning to question the wisdom of this decision already, but the possibility of food was just too close now.  <I>Real</I> food, for once in who knew how long.  For the chance to eat something besides garbage, he would chance a lot.  For the company of another, he would chance even more.  That, he realized in a sudden epiphany, was what he really wanted out of this.

Anyway, Aki couldn't be all <I>that</I> bad.  He'd stopped to help after all.

<I>Bite me, huh?  Well, I wouldn't want that.</I>  He sat and his tail wagged a little, kicking up a bit of dust.  <I>Grumpy doesn't fit you anyway, you being so radiant and lighthearted and all.</I>

Gah.  There he went again, baiting him.  It was a hard habit to break.  Aki reminded him of someone, some vague individual in his memory who was easily irritated, who he had enjoyed irritating.  Or so he thought.  No actual memories came to him, only the ghosts of them.  Only the sense that this was not an unusual interaction by any stretch.

Much as he'd like to avoid being called Balls, he opted not to comment on that.  Somehow he got the feeling if he asked Aki to just call him Snowy or Snowball, it would result in exactly the opposite.  So let Aki refer to him however he pleasedâ€"since he most certainly would do so regardless.  The white wolf had already latched onto the name and taken it as his own.

<I>I'm beginning to think I'm not exactly a normal wolf, either,</I> he said, growing pensive for a moment.  Maybe it had nothing to do with him being incompetent.  He'd thought something inside him was broken, when maybe it was just…different.  Hm.  He'd figure it out, with Aki's help, after seeing to more immediate problems.

But yeah, food first.

He padded after Aki and fell in beside him, ears pricked forward and tail high.  The people were out and about already, preparing for a new day, and he drank everything in with wide, eager eyes.  He'd only rarely ventured into the city, and then only on the outskirts and only at night.  The whole idea was to <I>avoid</I> people.  Now he would get to see them up close, even walk among them.  The sense of hazy familiarity stayed with him.  Maybe he'd been a city wolf?  Someone's pet?  That seemed unlikely, but how could he know anything for sure?  

Oh, Aki was saying something.  He tried to spare an ear to listen, but the city kept drawing his attention away.  <I>Uh huh, yeah…not going to sell me…that's nice.</I>  More distracting still were the food scents starting to find their way into the air.  Oh boy.  This was gonna be fun.

His attention snapped back to Aki when spoken words came from the man's mouth.  Words Snowy <I>understood</I>.  He bounced in a circle around Aki, tail about to wag itself clean off.  <I>I understood you!  I understood what you said!</I>  It got stares from a few of the humans, but so what?  Giddy with excitement, he landed before the man in the classic play posture, his front legs splayed and planted on the ground and his rear and tail wagging in the air.  <I>Say something else!  Say something else to me!</I>  Oh, he was just about ready to pounce on Aki and lick his face all over!  This was all so exciting.  Human words and food and stuff!  The day was turning out so much better than it had started.

Rhindeer

Any other teasing comments were put on hold when Snowy suddenly had his epiphany, and Aki's eyebrows arched with genuine interest. He tilted his head at a slight angle and blinked several times. Not a normal wolf, huh? he asked, curiosity in his voice. But that soon passed when he gave a soft laugh and shook his head, grinning so just the tips of his canines were visible. Really? Heh, took you long enough. I kind of figured as much because I can't say I've never met a wolf that dug through trash like a beggar and didn't even know his own name, much less anything else. That's pretty abnormal.

Then he paused as the wolf padded over to him, and Aki shot him a shrewd sidelong glance as he fell in beside him. Unless that's not what you mean. What do you mean by 'normal', and what makes you think you're not it?

Damn curiosity.

Aside from the amnesia, Snowy seemed like a normal wolf, or as normal as they came. He was average in size, white wasn't too terribly uncommon a color, and if wolves really weren't as plentiful here as in other places then it'd make sense that a loner would be forced to the cities to get enough to eat, though a normal wolf should have been able to survive by hunting smaller prey--and this guy seemed clueless. Then there were the eyes. His eyes were violet. Aki hadn't really thought about it before Snowy had mentioned he didn't think he was normal, but...Aki couldn't actually think of any normal wolves that had such an eye color. Unusual eye colors were run of the mill to him considering his origins, but...no. Normal wild wolves just didn't have violet eyes. Hell, come to think of it he couldn't really recall anyone who did.

It probably wasn't that big of a deal, though, but now the not knowing would grate at him. Whatever. For the moment, food was his main concern; Snowy wasn't the only one hungry, and he certainly wasn't the only one enjoying the food scents that filled the air as they left the alley.

At least until he spoke out loud and all hell broke loose.

Before he knew it, Snowy was bouncing around him like a bloody jackrabbit, and all Aki could do was watch him dumbly as his mind tried to process the wolf's sudden change from a clueless but seemingly calm wolf to...a freakin' idiot.

"Wha...?" For a few moments Aki was stock still, not even realizing he'd stopped walking, his yellow eyes wide and mouth slightly open as he tried to decide whether to be amused or annoyed, but he wound up settling on a mixture of both when Snowy finally landed in front of him, rear up and that bloody tail still wagging. He looked ready to pounce him. Aki stared back down at him, still blinking, but then he palmed his forehead and crossed the distance between them. "What the--what are you talking about? Of course you understand me, fool!" he growled when he could find his voice again, stooping down so he could grab the wolf roughly by the scruff of the neck and heft him to his feet. "Are you rabid? Now stop that, just because you don't think you're normal doesn't mean you shouldn't try and act nor--"

That was when he stopped, abruptly aware that a number of people were watching them--or rather, him. What was their problem? His eyes narrowed and he was on the verge of snapping at them to mind their own business when he had an epiphany of his own: he was a human right now.

And he was talking to a wolf.

Humans didn't normally do that, did they...

With a small cough, Aki released Snowy, brushed some fur from his hands, and pat the wolf on the head. "...Right. Bad dog. Bad Snowy. Ah, come on now. Heel," he said with another cough before he started to walk again, heading for one of the busy streets so he could vanish into the crowd.

Bloody idiot, what's your problem? Don't do that, you have to act like a normal tame dog and--forget it, we're getting you a leash.

Anonymous

* she wrinkles her nose at the smells of the city. Human odors are always so overpowering at first. She shakes her head and pads on through the gates of the city, mindless of the screams of the humans. Suddenly a rock hits her shoulder and she growls, turning her head in the direction it came from. Apparently her glare sent the child scurrying inside to it's mother.*

Pathetic humans. They always try something like that. When will they realize their weapons are useless against me?

*she continues on her way, this time erecting a shield. Rocks, knives, arrows and other implements just bounce away from her. Now the humans and running and screaming in terror as she makes her way to the market where she smells fresh meat. She is too tired from her long journey to hunt and this is easy enough for her to go after. With her immense size she is immediately recognizable as NOT being a normal wolf. As she steps into the market she sees a human with an odd scent with a WOLF bouncing around at his feet. The scent is familiar so she stops for a moment. She links her mind with the human's mind.*

AKI? Is that really you? It's been ages. And since when do you shift into human form?

*for the moment she pauses, her hunger forgotten as she takes in the sight. She wants to believe she's found one of her old pack but can't quite trust the information after searching so many years to find atleast one.*

Anonymous

Large golden eyes narrowed as the dragonet took in her surroundings.  She did NOT like this place.  First off, it stank.  Secondly, there were far too many humans around here.  Thirdly, it was too noisy.  But mostly, it stank.  Too many beings around here, too much going on, just too much of everything.  Feh...

"Get away from that thing, it'll eat you!"

Raising her head, Seyristith glanced in the direction of the voice.  A scrawny human child scrambled away from her as she did so.  Hah.  As if she'd eat that.  Wasn't big enough for a proper meal, and didn't smell appetizing, anyways.

Shuffling her wings awkwardly, she continued skulking down the road.  Where in blazes had that wolf gotten to?  She'd better be --Aha.  She picked up the pace, and stopped right behind Levia, looking over the two in front of her.  A white wolf, and some human.  She snorted.

"Levia.  What is this stinkin' place?"  She sat, wrapping her tail around herself, and lifted one taloned forepaw to rub at her snout.  She glanced again at the other two.  That white wolf didn't look very impressive.  That human didn't look very intimidating either.  So she didn't care if they heard her talking.  Nor did she really care if anyone else around heard her.

Anonymous

*glancing back at the dragonet, she smiles wolfishly*

Finally you catch up, Seyristith. As for this place.....it is a city. Although I think it is rather small as some cities go. There are some chickens and sides of beef hanging up in front of that stall over there if you want to go grab a bite. I know you're hungry, little one. I'm just catching up with some.......old friends.

*she smiles indulgently at the dragonet, careful to keep the evil from her eyes, face and voice. She almost seems fond of the young creature but the cunning in her eyes gives her away to AKI. She has plans for the dragon. It will just take time for them to take root. She turns her attention to the white wolf, wondering what such a scrawny wolf would be doing in the city.*

Where do you come from, wolf-pup? And why do you hang around in stinking cities instead of going out to hunt for yourself? If you are a true wolf, your blood should sing for the hunt. You should long to feel the wind flowing through your fur as you race through the forests with your pack. Even I miss my pack, weak though they were. Perhaps one day the DeathMaker Clan shall rise again through me.

*she sits down on her haunches, eye-level with AKI, as she waits patiently for a response from either of them*

Anonymous

(Reminder: This man's views in no way reflect my own. >.>)

The collected wolves had hated the smell of the city, as was to be expected of a wild thing that was not in its element. However, these smells would be nothing compared to the one that approached, for their collective noses would soon be assaulted by the scent of a man who thinks that hygiene is a greeting. He emitted a wonderfully fragrant blend of body odor and beer.

"Shit...what the hell kinda fruity place is this, ain't even gotta gaddam liquor store anywhere 'round here?" Joe-Bob vented his frustration mostly to himself as he walked the streets of this town. Occasionally he found himself getting looks from passers-by, to which he would respond with a glare and a "The fuck you lookin' at?"

This place, wherever it was, pissed him off. It wasn't anything like his home, which of course meant that everything that could be wrong was wrong with it. He had only been wandering around looking for a good liquor store - the absence of which was currently #1 on his list of why this place sucked - for a few minutes ever since that glowy thing zapped him here, and not only had he seen a disturbing number of niggers all wandering around as if they weren't inferior (goddamn liberals) but he saw people of all sorts of other colors too. While it was a new experience, just to be on the safe side he quickly decided Jesus must hate them too, which of course meant that Joe-Bob would do the same. Damn blue niggers.

It wasn't until he reached the marketplace that the sights caused him to pause. Standing there before him, all having a nice little chit-chat, was a woman - yep another nigger - a wolf, a big fuckin' lizard thing with wings and...a fuckin' huge wolf.

"Whadda hell is this, a fuckin' freak conga..congr...gatherin'?!" Joe-Bob taunted as he took unsteady steps closer to get a better look...only to find that the woman was a fuckin' DUDE. His mind made the connection instantly: a man who looks womanly must be gay. So not only was the nigger standin' there, plain as day, but he was a faggot too! He laughed aggressively in a way that only a man so naturally belligerent can. "Why don'tchya just get on outta heah, nigger-boah, 'fore I stick mah foot up yer ass. Butchyou'd probably like that, wouldn'tchya"

Anonymous

*she stops and looks at the new human, her nose wrinkling at the smell. She can't help but notice his belligerent tone and stance and decides to have a little bit of fun. With her mind, she reaches out and taps him on the shoulder without moving. The next thing he knows, her voice is in his mind, soft, sexy and seductive*

Hello, human. If you have a problem with me and my friends, I'm certain we can settle it some way. After all, you reek of ale and should probably find your way to staggering into the tavern.

*she keeps her intense gaze on the human, watching him with amusement*

Tally

Aki didn't seem to share Snowy's excitement.  The wolf wagged his rear, prepared to jump up and plant his front paws on Aki's shoulders and give him a big kiss, but was forestalled by the angry yelling.  Nnnng.  Why couldn't Aki be happy with him?  Subdued now, his tail stilled and his ears lowered as Aki grabbed him by the scruff of his neck.  Right, so maybe he'd gotten over excited just a smidge.  Aki didn't have to go killjoy on him.  Snowy was possessed by the irrational urge to lick Aki's face anyway—irrational because it would likely get him clouted on the head.  Better not push it.  

His eyes followed Aki's over to the people staring at them, and he understood.  The man was making himself look like a crazy person, talking to a wolf like this.  His tailed picked up its wag again.  If he were capable he would have snickered.

He perked right back up when Aki patted him on the head and he even licked his hand.  He was supposed to be a dog after all.  He even fell in beside Aki as they made their way out into the street, walking next to him like an obedient companion, though his eyes were darting all over the place.  He'd never been into the city proper.

"Nooooo, no leash!  I don't need a leash!  I AM acting like a normal dog.  Dogs get excited and jump up on their owners right?  Don't they?  You know I'm right."

After a few moments of silence, that impulse control problem of his reared its ugly head again.  "Let me know if you want me to hump your leg to complete the illusion."

The last thing Snowy would have expected to see just then was another wolf, and yet that was exactly what greeted them.  He saw her approach, thinking he was imagining thing at first and this was just a very large dog, but as she drew closer, there was no mistaking her for what she was.  Some innate certainty made him draw backward, away from her, away from all of them.  He sank to the ground and imagined himself invisible, not speaking even when he was addressed directly.    Call it instinct, call it intuition, but he did not want the attention of that wolf.

One scary, black, furry canine was more than enough.

Thankfully, they seemed to complete their business and move on, and Snowy ventured back over to Aki.  "Who were they?  Can we go now?"

It was turning into quite a production just to go out and get him some food.  Strange wolves, and dragonets, and this one smelly man who was still hanging around.  And who seemed...touched in the head.  He was going on about something, but Snowy couldn't begin to guess what all the man was ranting about.  He perked his ears forward and watched, not exactly intimidated but eager to move on nonetheless.

Rhindeer

Well. That was kind of weird.

Aki blinked several times, then came back to himself when Snowball returned and Leviatharia and her gang left. Letting out a low sigh, he let himself relax again, realizing only then that he'd tensed up in preparation for a fight. Leviatharia. What the hell was she doing here--and was she out of her mind walking around a human city in true form?

Whatever. It would make her easy to avoid.

"Huh. Right. Let's go, Snowy," he said out loud, turning away from the nutso man that was muttering something about something (he never did have the patience for those types and he was trying to stay low-key right now) and leading them out of that alley, since it was obviously a prime target for weirdos, and into the street toward the market. At least, he figured it was the market; he could smell food, maybe even live animals. Excellent. Some humans kept live ones in cages so you could have all the benefits of a fresh kill but could be lazy about the whole hunting part when you just wanted a quick meal. Such convenient creatures, humans.

Just don't kill them and eat them where they can see it.

To Snowy he 'pathed, "I don't know who those other folks were, but that big black wolf? That was my niece." He made a face, something between a cringe and a grimace. He still couldn't believe he'd actually mated her at one point, eugh. "She's a crazy bitch, in both senses of the word. You were right to lay low like you did--she'd have probably eaten you. Fortunately, as I'm sure you've noticed, subtlety is not her forte so we should have no problem avoiding her." And avoid her they would. He may have wanted to find other wolves, but even he had his limits.

And he was kind of aiming to keep his past where it belonged.

Speaking of the past, it was then that something Snowball had said in the past struck him, something that hadn't gotten a chance to properly sink in as his thought process had been interrupted by Leviatharia's appearance. Apparently that something had still been lingering around in his subconscious, though, because it chose that moment to fully sink in.

...Hump his leg?

Aki gave a start and stopped abruptly, right in the middle of the street (though thankfully it was still early so there wasn't any risk of getting plowed down by a horse or something), turned, and stared down at Snowball, lip curling upwards in disgust until his sharp canines were exposed. Both eyebrows lifted up toward his hairline. Oh, ew. He did not go there.

"Hump my leg? Did you really say that or am I--never mind. Forget it. Just keep it in your sheath, Balls, and no marking random shit, either. That's bad manners. Anyway." He pat the wolf on the head and started onward again. He could just make out the market square in the distance, his sense of smell much better than his eyesight. "We'll snag something from here and then head out of this warren. Sound good? I have to admit I've grown a little fond of human food--not garbage, actual food--and...oh yeah, how fast can you run? And can you do any tricks?"

Aki smiled, giving Snowball a sidelong glance. "Both will come in handy."

Not really, they could do without it, but damned if it wouldn't be funny.

Tally

Finally, they were off into the city proper!  After a rather...befuddling encounter with an equally befuddling group of people, Snowy followed Aki out into the streets of Arca, but had trouble keeping to the leisurely pace.  He wanted to run, to jump!  He did his best to stay by Aki's side, but the the distractions were many and he was thrumming like a plucked lyre string, all energized by the promise of food and a friend and unable to stop himself from darting away from Aki's side to investigate the sights, the scents, multitudes of people.  The market had come to life, and the simple fact of Aki's presence gave him instant confidence.  As Aki moved down the street, Snowy was always a few paces away from him as though an invisible tether tied him to Aki's side.  Where before he had avoided confrontation with the city folk, now he had nary a worry about poking his white nose where it didn't belong.  Live chickens?  He pawed at their cages and whipped them into a frenzy.  A noblewoman carried along upon a litter?  He dodged past the feet of her servants and nipped at the trailing silk curtains fluttering down from litter canopy.  Children kicking a ball between them?  He chased it and gave them a laugh.

And when the market goers took issue with his mischief and aimed a kick or a rock his way?  Why, that's when he ran back and hid behind his owner!  Flatten the ears, cringe down, tuck tail between legs.  I'm just a dog, can't help myself.  Talk to this guy, he's the one in charge.

"Your niece?  No insult to you my friend, but I'm glad she's gone.  Imagine if she'd got the City Watch down on us!"  Really, all he wanted was to just explore the city with Aki and find a bit of food.  Not have to hide from Aki's mad relatives or dodge Arcan soldiers.

"And that was only a jest!  Don't be so dower.  It's okay to laugh sometimes, you know.  Mayhap if you laughed once in awhile you wouldn't be so dull?"  Snowy gave his tail a wag—a gesture to show he was still jesting—and licked at Aki's hand when the man patted him on the head.  So nice of him.  And didn't they just make a pretty picture, master and dog, enjoying a merry day in the market together?

"I can run at an average speed?  Faster than a two-legged person I'm quite sure.  And what kind of tricks do you mean?"

The scents of food were really starting to get to him now.  He couldn't stop licking his lips.

Rhindeer

It was while Snowy flounced about that Aki was tempted to deny ownership completely, especially when shouts were hurled his way to control his animal while Snowy-darling cowered behind him. Aki felt a growl rumble in his throat and started to bare his teeth--but then he remembered where he was and what he was and simply glared right back, daring the humans to do something about it. If it wouldn't be such a stupid thing to do here, he'd love a good brawl, but right. Impulse control. So instead he growled at Snowy and grabbed him by the ruff of his neck before he could prance off again.

"I've seen people beat their dogs for bad behavior. Do you want me to emulate that, too?" his mental voice 'pathed while his physical voice snapped at him to heel. "No insult to you, my friend, but you're going to get the City Watch called on us soon enough if you don't stop acting like a raving idiot that's never been outdoors. Calm. The fuck. Down. And stop running off."

Aki let go of him then and took a deep breath. Alright. Maybe he was hungrier than he'd thought. It always made him snappish--or more so, at least. He rolled his eyes when he was called dower and wiped his hand off onto his shirt. "I laugh plenty..." He winced; that came out more petulant than intended. Subject change!

"Anyway, you know. Tricks. Sit pretty, play dead, shake, roll over...look, I'm not sure I have coin enough to actually pay for anything." He never had completely grasped the human exchange system. It was different every place he went to and coin was about as meaningful as rocks to him. One person selling a chicken might want one amount, the other might want another, and he just couldn't make heads or tails of it; he tended to just shove whatever he had at the merchant and let them sort it out. "At least not for the both of us. I've seen people do tricks and get that shiny stuff thrown at them. If you want to eat, you're going to perform or you're going to steal."

He cast Snowy a sidelong glance, smirking. "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling up for a good run. This place is repressive." And who knew if the crazies were still lurking about. "But if you're too chicken..."

Aki shrugged. "First thing's first, what looks good to you? Take your pick--but keep your damned nose out of it. We'll come up with a plan once we have a target." An elderly merchant selling caged rabbit caught his and he focused in on him in the same way he would a weak member of any herd. Trapped rabbits overseen by an old man who would surely have slower reaction times...

"What about him?" Aki asked with intentional ambiguity, nodding in his direction.

Tally

"Why aren't you happier? It's a beautiful day!"  Stubbornly unperturbed, even when held by the scruff of the neck, he nonetheless forced himself to relax—marginally.  Aki made a right good point, he did.  People were staring, and none too nice-like. And if they were going to have to steal to get their food, mayhap raising a fuss beforehand weren't the brightest way to go about it.  So he settled down by Aki's feet and looked up at him. Though his tail still wagged, unceasing.

"Stealing eh?"  He didn't have any particular objection.  The market was full of food after all.  Why shouldn't they have some just because they lacked the coin?  Performing a few tricks might be fun, but what guarantee did that give them?  He'd much rather ensure a meal with his own teeth than hope passersby would toss a few coppers at them just to see him dance around on his hind legs.  It was part of the reason he'd been digging through the garbage instead of scratching pitifully at doors hoping for a hand out.

Snowy followed Aki's line of sight and found the elderly man tending his rabbits.  "No," he said, flicking his eyes up to watch for Aki's reaction.  "No, I don't think so. Not really interested in eating a human. One of the rabbits though, that I wouldn't mind."

Rhindeer

"Oh? Do you think you'd be able to handle catching a rabbit?" Aki asked, still eying the human and the cage. He had no qualms about eating a man. They tasted alright, though they were usually full of fat. But even he wasn't foolish enough to seriously suggest taking down a human in human territory, even if he thought it was fun to see how a pup like Snowball would react.

"They're fast, and once the cage is broken you'll only have a small window of time to grab one before they hop into the crowd and everyone goes crazy. Honestly, our best bet would be the man. Slow, old...we'd be doing them all a favor in culling the herd." He nudged Snowy with his foot to get him to stand again, then nodded back to the alley they'd come from and started to head back that way.

"But that'd be a hassle to carry, so rabbits it is. Now listen, Snowball. I'm gonna change, and then we're going to charge that man. I'll knock over the hutch and keep the bystanders busy, and you grab one of those rabbits and run. Got it? I'll catch up and lead us out of this dump, and you better damned well follow because I'm not gonna be saving your sorry white ass." He smiled. "Hope you did everything you wanted to do in the city for now."

Tally

"I could catch a rabbit!  Probably.  Maybe!"  Having never really tried, he couldn't say.  He'd made some halfhearted attempts at hunting small prey out in the wilds, but hadn't even the vaguest idea of how to go about it.  Everything was so alert and fast.  All the small creatures disappeared and hid themselves before he came within a hundred paces of them.  This was different though.  These rabbits were in cages, and fat and docile.  Maybe that would make a difference?

"Humans don't live in herds," he added dryly.  "So your whole theory is out."

Snowy trotted after Aki toward the alley, his nerves making him more jumpy and excited by the second.  This was ever so much more thrilling than digging in garbage.  He peered around the edge of the alley, locking his gaze on the rabbit cages.  He had the easier job, he thought.  He would not want to have to fend of dozens of irate and frightened cityfolk.  "Got it.  I'm ready."