Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Wolf In Serendipity

Started by Tally, June 05, 2007, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Aki paused and tilted his head, ears pricked forward.

"Well...being self-sufficient, for one," he said. "Everyone takes care of everyone else in a pack. The young, the old, the ill. But nobody likes a slacker. And you're a slacker, Snowball."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"I am not a slacker!"  That even got his attention away from the food.  "I'm just...inexperienced."

He'd been looking for a better way to say incompetent.  It was the best he could do.

Rhindeer

"Exactly," Aki said with a wolfish grin.

"Exactly my point. Which is why I'm going to teach you how to become a wolf and not this...this slavering dog-thing in a wolf's body. You don't just magically become inexperienced, Snowy. You become inexperienced because you slack, because instead of trying to make a fresh kill, you're content living like a tick sucking the waste out of peoples' rubbage heaps. Just think! If not for me, it would have been death by chicken bone. Such a shameful way to go."

Rising to his feet, he gave a long, languid stretch, jaws gaping in a great yawn. "You should be rolling belly-up at my feet in thanks, really. But I doubt you know a thing about that."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"So...you think scavenging is a bad thing then?  I'm rather getting that impression from you.  It's subtle—understated, one might say—but I do believe I picked up on it."

He did roll over onto his back then, and beamed a panting grin up at Aki.

Rhindeer

Aki rolled his eyes and heaved a sigh. "Oh, don't even bother if you're not going to do it right."

Shaking dust from his coat, Aki stepped over Snowy and walked past him, tail flicking him in the nose as he went. "Well, if you're done rolling around, we should be on our way now."

Tally

"Wait."

Snowy had a good thorough roll about in the dust.  A hearty shake, and he was ready.

"Now I'm done.  Are you finished?  Sure you don't need a roll?  It feels excellent."

Rhindeer

Snowy was like a big, dopey puppy that had never grown up. That, or he was like the not-so-bright deer that got eaten first. Aki hadn't quite decided which it was.

He rolled his eyes skyward. "No. Now, are you certain you're done? Need to sniff any bushes? Hike your leg?"

Tally

Snowy bounded about Aki, all overwhelmed with energy now he had a full belly.  Remarkable what food could do for one's spirits!

"I'm certain! Where are we going?  What's next?"

Rhindeer

"Well..." Good question, and one he hadn't had to answer in a long time. Aki had spent a long time as a lone wolf, living in the moment and making it up as he went, but now he had a pack. The beginnings of one, at least. Which meant he had to lead, and which meant he needed a plan. I don't know, wherever was not an acceptable answer.

"I was thinking we'd go West," he said. "Toward Adela. There are more wolves that way and I think we should see about finding them. But if you mean next as in the immediate future, we need to find a place to stay for the night."

He gave a wolfish grin. "Would you like to sleep indoors or out tonight?"

Tally

It was nearly painful to leave those bones behind.  They could have gnawed on those for awhile!  Though they left the cover of the trees, no one from the edge of town had pursued them.  The countryside was quite, deserted.

"Inside?  How would that work?  What do you mean?"

Rhindeer

Oh, the pup was such an amateur.

"I was thinking a nice barn somewhere. They're warm, dry, and usually come stocked with meat." A regular wolf didn't stand a chance of getting inside, what with needing hands and thumbs to open the doors, but he was confident he could get them in.

He didn't add the obstacle of its residents, but he was confident that they could sneak in.

If not, it wasn't like a barn was a village. He was sure they could handle a couple humans.

Tally

Ohhhhh.  Yes, let's do that then.  Sleep in a barn like horses!"  A barn hadn't occurred to him.  Aki had said inside, and Snowy's first thought was inside a house, which, unless Aki owned a house, made no kind of sense.

"Do you own a house?" he said.  "Or do you always sleep outside and in barns?"

Rhindeer

Aki stared at Snowy a moment before saying, "Yes. Of course I own a house. All wolves do, don't you? Oh, right, of course not, you wouldn't know! Maybe when you get your memory back we can visit yours!"

He shook his head. "How silly of me, thinking of barns. Here, why don't we go there right now! What do you say?"

Tally

Snowy just stared at him with his best leveled glare.  "The sarcasm is so helpful, thank you soooo much for that, really."

Rhindeer

"Who said I was being sarcastic?" Aki answered as he continued to lope onward. "You could have a house somewhere. You don't know that you don't, and I don't know that you don't, so it's possible."

Tally

"House or barn, I will be glad to reach it.  I'm so sick of sleeping outside!"

Was that an odd sentiment for a wolf?  Hmm.

Rhindeer

Aki tossed Snowy a sidelong look, and if he could arch an eyebrow in this form, he would have. Snowy was...a mystery. A wolf that was sick of sleeping outside? It was a sentiment Aki could agree with, but he existed as a human as often as he existed as a wolf.

As much as Aki's comment about owning houses had been sarcasm, he was genuinely starting to wonder about this wolf. His lost memory, his odd comments, his lack of any survival skills...even if he lost his memories, survival should be instinct at this point. He had made it to adulthood somehow, after all, and he didn't think it was through scavenging, because he couldn't even do that right.

"You sleep indoors often?"

Tally

"Oh, almost never!  Only when I can find an abandoned building.  Oh, wait--"

He paused, confused momentarily as his mind went blank in the most troubling way, then padded after Aki again.  "...maybe I did?  I must have.  I recall I like it better!"

Rhindeer

Aki held Snowy's gaze, still utterly perplexed by this wolf. "Were you a pet, maybe?" he asked, and grinned wolfishly. "Perhaps I really ought to buy that collar and leash. We could see if it feels familiar to you."

Tally

"Could I...could I have been a shifter like you?  And I've lost my ability to shift somehow?"