Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Low-life congregation (kaldin, drugs)

Started by Anonymous, June 22, 2007, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Trab, off on a few days of rest and recreation, had immediately situated himself in one of the lowliest taverns he could find. Thieves, he found, had a talent for finding exactly where they belonged.

Even if the thief in question was in the process of trying to redirect his wayward life. His best friend, Kos Bander, had openly made fun of Trab's plan to join the Connlaothan military, clean up his person and his act. And now Trab was beginning to wonder if Kos wasn't right from the beginning.

Well, at least he was cleaner physically. He was clean-shaven and looked well-kept, fit and not hungry. At least the military did that; washings and food.

But the state of his soul was another matter all together. No, the man was itching to dip his fingers into something illegal; there was just... something about doing something you shouldn't be. Being trapped by the strict rules and regulations of the military had only increased his desire to misbehave, not stemmed it.

So, ale after ale, Trab had watched the tavern residents, trying to figure out if anyone had any money--or anything worth stealing. There was one whore who had been very busy this evening... Maybe he would see if her earnings were good. Might risk the trouble of angering her Mistress but it would be worth the fun.

However, she was still taking clients; best let her earn all her money before he stole it all.

Catching the 'tender's eyes, Trab lifted his fingers lazily and jutted his chin, eloquently ordering another glass without a word.

Anonymous

Rys, still dressed as a man with Starolf over one shoulder, bypassed the curious onlookers and went straight up the stairs. In a few moments she was back down again, and perched on a stool at the bar. The bartender ambled over, and she tossed him the fare for the room and enough for a few fingers of liquor, which he set down in front of her. Of course, he had no idea she was a 'her' at all - she still had her face covered, and purposefully rolled her shoulders forward and slouched to further conceal her feminity.

She remembered then, as she sipped from her glass, that she still had the bag of drugs latched onto her belt. Joy. Taking it from her side and setting it on the bar next to her, she surveyed it. Perhaps she could begin peddling it on her own, she mused, seeing as Starolf won't wake up for a while... I'm sure he'd be more than pleased that I made our first money.

Rys heaved a sigh into her drink and shook her head. What an idiot. But somehow... amusing, almost comical in his own way. Oh well. She tossed back what was left of her drink and spun the glass around on the bar in front of her, scenting the air idly for the stronger, more potent smell of the drug's poison over that of mere alcohol.

Anonymous

Though Trab was mildly preoccupied keeping tabs on his mark--the whore--he wasn't too drunk (yet) to not be paying attention to new arrivals. After all, someone might make an even better mark. And there certainly was no law that he couldn't have two marks in one evening.

The new man--boy? youth?--was slouched a few seats down the bar from him. Apparently a traveler, for he tossed a fair amount of coin to the 'tender and only received a standard amount of drink. Had Trab been paying closer attention earlier, he would have realized that this was the same fellow who entered with another fellow; both had disappeared upstairs and now, here at the bar, there was only one. All sorts of peculiar couples around these sorts.

What's this? He wondered to himself, noting the bag with a crooked brow. Well, if anything ever looked illegal, it was that. The other man seemed to be considering the bag very seriously... That meant it was probably worth something. Mmm....

"Haven't seen that before," he mumbled, turning his side-long gaze into an unbashed stare, "what is it?"

Anonymous

Keeping her chin tucked down, Rys turned her head only slightly to flash her bright eyes at him. She growled, more than spoke. "Certain... commodities. For those seeking something stronger than liquor." She smirked and made sure the other tender at the bar knew it. "Not that you're interested, I'm sure."

I should've practiced being a human male before I did this.</I> A quick mental survey of her current garb and she huffed internally. Or at least got a better disguise...

It had only been a little while since Rys dropped Starolf on a bed upstairs, but she found herself wishing he was here to distract the man with his ridiculousness so she could slip away and return as herself, instead of pretending to be a man in a bar all alone

Anonymous

[ooc| I am the worst procrastinator. Too late for me to join?]

Anonymous

Anonymous

[ooc| Woo! Here I am then. I'm just sort of doctoring the other post I did to fit into this one.]

"I'm telling you, I don't fucking have any!"

Benat was a pretty good fighter, and he had the scarred knuckles to prove it. He'd broken quite a few noses, and snapped almost as many arms, and even when he'd taken a few punches to the gut, he could still hold his own for awhile longer. He'd fought over a lot of things - girls, honour, who was going to pay for the last round of beers - but he could say with certainty that this was the first time he'd gotten into a fight over something he didn't even understand.

The one standing over him spat at the side of his face. "Liar." Ben attempted to wipe the spittle from his cheek, only to grunt and roll over as a heavy boot connected with his stomach. "Don't make us break your arm for it, asshole."

Rolling himself swiftly out of reach, Ben managed to get one knee under him and rise halfway off the ground, before the bastard's partner grabbed a fistful of hair and pulled him the rest of the way up. Ben scrabbled at the man's fingers feebly, his eyes watering. "You can beat me to a bloody pulp and I'm STILL not going to have this, whatever the fuck you called it, potent shit--"

His words died off as Bastard the First punched him square in the mouth. Ben doubled over, spitting out blood and a fragment of tooth. They were both strangely clumsy and slow, and even in the dim light of the back alley he could see that their eyes weren't totally focused, but the fact that there were two of them and one of him meant that he wasn't standing much of a chance. And he ached. Everywhere.

"If you don't tell us where to get more we're gonna break your fucking face--" snarled the one still pulling out his hair by the roots, until a frantic noise from the other shut him off. "Night patrol, beat it!" The rapid fleeing of their footsteps on wet cobblestones echoed the heavy clunk of soldiers passing the entrance to the alleyway.

Benat had to sit down again. He slouched against the rainsoaked wall, draped in shadows, wiping a trickle of blood away from his temple and peering at it in disgust. They'd jumped him with no warning--all he'd done was come out of a tavern. And they'd begun demanding something, potent something--potent pleasure?--, that he'd never heard of before, and all the while acting like they'd both been clubbed over the head only minutes before.

When he finally dragged himself to his feet again, Ben ambled grouchily towards the light of the main street, still spitting blood cautiously. "Potent Pleasure," he grumbled, as he reached the nearly-empty thoroughfare. "Gotta be something pretty damn awesome to get the shit kicked out of me for something I don't have."

The first tavern he saw was good enough for him. Bit of a flea-ridden, shabby hole in the wall, Benat realised as he limped through the door, but if it offered beer, he didn't give a damn. Pushing through a crowd of military recruits on what must have been their night off, and past two drunks wrestling on the floor, Ben slid onto a stool beside a slouched-over youth and gestured vainly for the bartender's attention.

Anonymous

[ooc: just a quick one, don't want to hold you guys up...]

Trab immediately noticed, with a bit of a start, that the youth's eyes were eeriely bright... Unnerving and just... not right. His only consulation was the quiet reminder that tavern like these tended to attract a lot of different types. Unfortunately, he seemed to be sitting next to (and now holding conversation with) one of them. He cleared his throat uncomfortably but curiosity got the best of him.

"Stronger than liquor, hm?"

The entrance of a very roughed-up looking man distracted Trab for only a moment. The dark-skinned man watched as the other sat nearby at the bar, trying to decide if he could continue his conversation with the youth given the proximity of the bar's newest addition.

Lowering his voice, Trab spun slightly on his bar stool to keep the conversation private, "And what might this certain commodity be called?"

Anonymous

((He's not quite down with you guys yet, although you can notice him if you want. I just wanted to make this "waking up" post, but you three can consider yourselves still Starolf-less for now. Oh, and one swear word. Hope none of you mind.))

Starolf awoke gradually as the throbs of ecstasy receded, slowly, from his body. He could not remember the past hour or so, but the fading flare of absolute blind sensation that was seared onto his brain seemed to suggest that whatever had happened, it was quite excellent. Starolf had the impression that this forgetfulness would continue for the next few hours; if this hit was anything like the one that had knocked him out only two days ago, he had some time left before the drug left his system and finally allowed him long-term memory again.

He realized he was lying on a cot when he sneezed; he was allergic to straw and that was what the mattress was stuffed with. "Blast," he muttered. His voice sounded muzzy and when he opened to eyes, even the dim light of the lantern sitting beside him was too much. He closed them tightly shut again. "Oh, Jeminy..." Another low moan. Everything he touched seemed to sparkle, if that made any sense, on his skin. A physical sparkle -- mesmerizing glitter that shivered up his limbs straight to his heart with unwavering accuracy. It was pleasant, but made for doing anything but lie still and enjoy it rather difficult.

Starolf then realized that he had not, in fact, seen this room before. The last thing he remembered was talking to a slender cat-woman -- Rys! -- on the bank of a pond. Right, the cat-woman. A smile quirked at the edge of his lips. She must have dragged him all the way to this inn and dumped him here to rot. A lot of strength, that, for a woman; then again, there was more to her than just woman, wasn't there? The memory of his encounter with the cat flashed, briefly, in his mind, but now, instead of terrifying him, he had to laugh at the foolishness. To think that hairy thing was Rys! He wondered if she was as hairy under her clothes, but then shuddered and shoved the mental image from his mind. I hope not.

But where was she? Starolf tentatively tried opening his eyes again, and found his vision much improved. There was no one in the room but him. There was, in fact, no one and nothing in the room besides him, the cot, and the lantern. Where were the -- Oh, shit. If that smarmy noodle-brained vixen ran off with my drugs, I'll skin her hide and tan it, too!

With a wordless roar of fury, Starolf rolled from the cot and landed on his face. Another yell of fury, and Starolf had managed to stagger to his feet -- but the room was wavering like candlelight and he fell back down to his knees again with a loud thud, rattling the mouldy floorboards. "Bugger this!" he cried, and, with no thought for his dignity (he had none), Starolf crawled towards the door, gripping the floor as if he were climbing a wall. He butted the door open with his head and collapsed heavily into the hallway. "Rys!" he bellowed. "Where in nine blazes are you, you lice-infested monkey-wench!"

Thus Starolf began his exploration of the inn.

((Mona/molty! If you read this in time, maybe Mikki can meet Starolf now (while they're in the hallway and not downstairs with Rys, Benat, and Trab).))

Anonymous

A slow hiss of air came from between Rys' teeth, which had clenched when yet another pissed-off looking man sat on her other side. She tapped the side of her glass with one long, thin finger, and quirked a smile when it was refilled quickly and generously. She threw it back, and in mid-swallow, perked her ears and heard Starolf wake up. And... roar. Impressive, she thought, keenly aware of both men flanking her, quite a sound from such a human throat.

When she heard him bellow at her, she couldn't help but laugh. It trickled from her like water, and she just remembered to harshen the sound or the bell-like quality of it would have given her away as a woman without a doubt. Regardless, she smiled to herself as she considered the new man on her other side, catching his scent and wondering if perhaps she could sell him some of her wares.

Anonymous

"Beer, man," Benat called at the bartender, hardly waiting for him to refill the glass of the youth beside him. "And hurry with it, damn it." Never mind that he had three shots of good fiery whiskey under his belt already; the many bruises beginning to blossom on his body invited him to add a little more alcohol to the party. Gingerly Ben thumbed his aching nose, which (while at least not broken) was going to sport some nice purple and green colours in a few hours.

The bartender plunked down an overflowing glass of ale in front of him. Ben snatched it up eagerly and downed half the tankard in one long, thirsty draught. When he came up for air, wiping foam off his stubbly chin, he was surprised to hear a laugh coming from the slender boy on his right that began distinctly more feminine than it ended. Ben rubbed his chin a bit bemusedly, then shifted on his stool, angling himself towards the lad and resting his weight against the edge of the bar.

"Now what's a little thing like you doing in a seedy kind of bar like this?" Ben inquired in a tone that was friendly, nonthreatening, and certainly not flirtatious in the least. "And what's in that bag that you can afford to leave lying around on bartops? Attract thieves that way, you will. You could always leave it with me for safekeeping." Ben flashed a charming smile, all teeth and dimples.

Anonymous

A snarl emanated from Rys before she could stop it. She was not little, she was not stupid, and she could protect herself. But her pride wasn't the issue here, so she simply smothered instinct and turned her head. Her eyes flashed, but her voice was even. "The bag? It's supposed to attract attention, but only for customers interested in the contents." She grinned, and shoved the honey into her voice, taking on the part of a true peddler. "For those who want something a little more potent," the word brought her amusement, "than liquor."

Speaking of potent, Starolf should be down soon, and she knew he'd wonder what she was doing with his shirt, and definitely blow her cover. Oh, well - she had no desire to keep up her masculine pretense any longer than necessary.

Anonymous

If only Benat knew the thief was already there. Trab, however, hadn't been attracted by the bag--he'd actually beaten the bag to the table but now that it was there... And it was strange, how it seemed to just really capture attention. Ah well, life was hard--especially for the folks who come to this sort of tavern--so of course something more potent than liquor would be popular.

Trab merely glanced to the ceiling upon hearing the roars but apparently they did not concern him. After all, there were a number of explainations for angry roaring--enemies, stolen goods, women... With a bit of a start, he surveyed the rest of the room and noted with a frown that the whore he had carefully been keeping tabs on had disappeared. Damn it.

"What's it called and is it worth paying however much you're going to overcharge me for it?" He asked bluntly. Now that the whore was gone, he had nothing else to look forward to tonight... Instead of stealing money he might as well spend some.

Anonymous

Starolf staggered down the stairs reeling from railing to wall, shaking his fist at any who dared knock into him as they passed. "Rys!" he bawled again, without any concern for appearance. It was a bit late for that anyway: he was shirtless, scruffy, and raving like a lunatic. "You dirty whore, if you took the stash I'll scalp you clean!" He stumbled over someone's outstretched foot and caught himself just in time, throwing a wild punch at the offender's head but missing. "If I weren't so bloomin' plastered I'd--" he began, then cut himself off as he remembered his more important purpose. "Rys! Where in hell's name are you and why don't I got a shirt?"

After an agonizing effort he found himself on the main floor, and he leered with a mix of threat and friendliness at any who dared look his way. Starolf's reckless disconcern for, well, anyone but himself was enough to warn the others not to mock too much; Starolf did not believe in propriety or in "teaching someone a lesson." He had no problem knocking people permanently unconscious.

Better yet, he'd like to be their friend and party with them, but by then he had spotted a familiarly tall and slender figure trying to slouch like a man at the bar. He would recognize that posture -- and that shirt, blast it! -- from halfway across the world. "Rys!" he said, this time in relief (he had caught sight of the goods beside her). "I could kiss your pretty lips and damn the scratches, I'm so glad you're still around! Not that, of course," Starolf hastily amended, "I thought you'd scamper off on me." He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Say, I isn't interrupting anything, is I?" he asked, peering at the rough men seated on either side of her. Starolf narrowed his eyes and put an arm around the back of Rys's seat. "You just give word if either of these mugs is giving you trouble, lady." Then, his face suddenly breaking out into a sly and toothy grin, he turned back towards the man closest to him and patted the bag beside Rys. "My name's Starolf and I know you'll be happy you met me." Making 'friends' -- that was generally what Starolf did best. Although, granted, he was used to being on the receiving end.

Anonymous

Rys straightened and undid the makeshift cowl which had been keeping her face and upper body covered, tossing it at Starolf. "There's your shirt back." Without the hood, her face was strikingly feminine, and she peered at Starolf momentarily, her eyebrow cocked at his arm around her chair. She stared at him, straight on, and growled. "These boys were just inquiring into my bag of tricks here, actually. So you are interrupting, and since you're the one giving me trouble..." she smiled slowly, drumming her fingers on the bar, and turned to Benat.

"We don't sell them for much at all, actually. We've got all kinds, and Starolf here," Rys patted him on the arm absently, "is just coming off of a lovely high from Potent Pleasure." She turned her sparkly smile on him, all teeth and salesman, "Aren't you?"