Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Faster barfly! Drink! Drink!

Started by Anonymous, February 20, 2005, 04:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aznimal tapped a finger on Sanguinarius' bar between drinks. Or... rather tapped his finger on the bar because he didn't have anything to drink. That screwdriver hadn't lasted long, soon after ordering it he drained it in one long gulp. The last few drinks went by just as quickly.

For a moment the Risen Demon considered whether it was healthy to put so many drinks away so quickly. He shrugged, fuck it, he wasn't here to think about the hows and whys of alcohol. He had every intention of drinking himself into a coma, that would halt all the commotion in his head. Thoughts of Kure, of Elial's return, of Arkarian and Lotha.

For a moment he wondered if the Archangel even realized he'd been gone so long. He shrugged again and nudged the empty glass away from him. "Hey Alison," he called, half surprised that his voice wasn't slurred. A lock of red streaked black hair fell into one brilliant green eye and he raked it back over his forehead. It stayed up there for a few seconds before a few locks draped back into his face.

Anonymous

Æana walked shyly into the bar. Her general brightness and happiness contrasted with the other people at the bar. Her baby blue hair bounced slightly as she walked up to the bar. You heard about this kind of thing all the time, people buy girls a free drink because they sit at the bar and look cute, so it was worth a shot. She quietly sat down on the stool next to Aznimal and made a, what she judged to be seductive look, but it looked like a cute pout more than anything at no one in particular.

Anonymous

Where had that bartender run off too... Aznimal thought about calling for her again when someone sat down next to him. He glanced at the newcomer.

A young woman, had to be, this was a bar. Then again, it was also a bar in the Dark Mage village. He was almost certain that parents here didn't order their children to stay away from alcohol... or at least did it for reasons other than concern over their health. And speaking of health, the newcomer looked like she went through a bit of rough time recently. She was also pouting and was probably on her own.

Aznimal had a soft spot for misery which alcohol only widened. The girl partially reminded him of Amatrix... which widened the spot into a gaping hole.

He turned to look directly at her, light glimmering dully on the pointed steel earring in his left ear. "Hi," he said, now a bit relieved that he wasn't slurring yet. Trying to talk to someone at a bar usually went better if you were sober enough to talk legibly.

Anonymous

Æana jumped slightly when the man spoke to her.

Æana: H-hi. Who are you?

Alison walked up to Aznimal.

Alison: How many more drinks are you gonna have? I'm gonna need to cut you off soon.

Anonymous

Aznimal smiled slightly. Her reaction was rather cute.

So that's where all the booze went. God, he could already hear the the response Dark would give him had the sword been present. It was still locked away in his closet, and had been there for quite some time.

Talking couldn't hurt though. It was natural to talk to other people at bars, hell in a bar people were less likely to worry when a random stranger started up a conversation. And speaking of conversations:

"Name's Aznimal, you?" As he was talking he caught a whiff of alcohol on his breath. It wasn't that strong, yet.

Enter the bartender.

"Actually," he said, looking at Alison and smiling a little wider. "I was going to buy her a drink," he unfolded one hand, letting the tips point in the girl's direction.

Anonymous

Alison turned to Æana.

Alison: So, what can I get for you?

Æana looked slightly dumbstruck. Sure, she had intended to have someone buy her a drink, but she hadn't expected it to really happen. She thought for a moment.

Æana: I'll just have a soda, please.

She turned to Aznimal.

Æana: My name's Æana.

Anonymous

"Æana," he parroted, lingering over the syllables a bit like her name was a type of wine and he was picking out the various hints in it. "Nice to meet you."

The scratch on her face was starting to pick at his brain. It didn't look quite like a normal unconscious scratch. Though, just bluntly asking what caused it wouldn't be a good option. He interlocked his fingers, rested his hands on the counter and tilted his head to the side a bit. "What brings you here?"

Anonymous

Æana smiled, being on familiar ground now, conversation-wise, anyways.

Æana: Well, I'm looking for my dad. Well, he's not really my dad, he's my adoptive dad. Okay, he's not legally my adoptive dad, but he's close enough. You see, he's really twice my age, but he looks too young to have kids my age, in fact, he only looks slightly older than me, so we get weird looks sometimes. Oh, you didn't ask for all this, I'm sorry, I always seem to just talk people's ears off.

Æana looked away, slightly embarassed. okay, so familiar ground wasn't really helping her.

Alison *thinking*: Jeez this girl is uptight. She needs a bit more than soda.

Alison grabbed a bottle of something strong and poured it into Æana's soda, along with some syrup. She handed the glass to Æana.

Alison: Here you go.

Anonymous

"That's alright," Aznimal tapped his hands against the bar a few times. "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to hear what you had to say."

Enter Alison. Aznimal fished around in his pocket, grabbed a gold and set it on the counter. He looked back to the collection of empty glasses at his side and set a few silver on the counter with the gold. "Get me a Bloody Mary please, Alison," he said, adding a few more coins to those already on the table.

Anonymous

Æana: Yeah, sorry.

Alison looked at her with pity before taking the gold coin. She called to the other bartender.

Alison: Jamie, go fix a Bloody Mary for the man. I'll cover your customers.

Jamie nodded and went into the back room to fix the drink. Æana took a sip of her soda. She decided that she liked that sip, so she followed it with a gulp. After find the gulp equally enjoyable, she downed the whole glass.

Æana: That soda was better than the sodas I got at the tavern in my old town.

She really wanted another soda, but wasn't going to say anything, not wanting to spend much more of this stranger's money, though she was feeling a bit more comfortable. A small hiccup escaped from her throat.

Æana: Oops, excuse me.

Alison smiled at her. She wished for a moment that she believed in charity because she wanted to give her another drink now, but she refrained.

Anonymous

Aznimal watched the other bartender go to the back to prepare the drink. That seemed to happen quite often tonight, Sanguinarius must not have gotten many fancy drink orders. Or they didn't want their patrons to figure out what they put in the drinks. He shrugged and looked back at the girl.

Æana certainly was thirsty, her glass was already empty. He wondered if she gave herself enough time to register what the drink tasted like. Though, a second later he remembered that earlier on he was putting away drinks so quickly that he'd finish a Pina Coloda and taste a Screwdriver.

Then she hiccuped. Aznimal raised an eyebrow. She must not have been used to drinking so fast. Now she needed to hold her breath, or take a slow drink.

Well, the more drinks he bought for her meant less torment for his liver in the morning. What harm could come to it? If she was thirsty enough to drink herself into hiccups she must have been parched.

"Want another drink?" he offered, setting more coins on the counter. "It should stop those hiccups if you don't inhale it." One end of his lips curved upward teasingly.

Anonymous

Alison snorted when Æana hiccupped. Æana looked at Aznimal shyly.

Æana: Well, I don't want to spend your money...

Alison chuckled. This girl was cute. Alison leaned over to whisper in Æana's ear.

Alison: Do you have any clue how much money this guy has spent on himself? I'll give you a hint: a fucking lot. Look, he obviously thinks your cute, so just go with it. Modesty gets you nowhere.

Æana thought about this for a second.

Æana: Sure, I'll have another drink.

Alison: What do you want?

Æana: I'll have another so-

Alison gave Æana a look.

Alison *mouthing*: Don't get another damn soda.

Æana thought for another second. Beer isn't strong, she remembered Titanol saying that. One beer should be safe.

Æana: Okay, I'll have a beer.

Alison smirked before filling up a mug from one of the three taps on the back counter and handed the mug to her.

Alison: Drink up.

Æana eyed the mug suspiciously.

Anonymous

Aznimal raised a hand and would have waved away the doubt Æana had about getting a drink, when the barkeep leaned over and began whispering to her. He put the hand back on the table and looked towards the backroom, thus missing the silent communication that went on during the drink's ordering.

After Æana got her beer Aznimal looked at the barkeep and perked an eyebrow. "Your assistant isn't back there growing the tomatoes is she?"

Anonymous

Alison chuckled.

Alison: Jamie, get the hell out here. You don't need to put everything back exactly where you got it.

Suddenly, the sound of a few bottles clinking together was heard and Jamie returned.

Jamie: Sorry.

Alion *to Aznimal*: She's new. She thinks she works someplace that believes in organization.

Jamie set the Bloody Mary in front of Aznimal. She seemed kind of shaky.

Jamie: S-sorry...

Æana thought she was acting a little strangely, but she was new to the area, so she didn't say anything. She went back to eyeing her beer, before picking it up and taking a sip. She cringed the second it touched her tongue, but drank it anyways. She did, however, drink this in sips instead of inhaling it. She felt a little more open to conversation now.

Æana: So, why are you here?

Anonymous

Aznimal watched the door to the backroom after the barkeep yelled back at her assistant. His impatience melting when the girl came out with a distinctly red drink in one hand. Any remaining irritation was swept away when the barkeep explained that she was new. He couldn't get mad at a new employee, it was tasteless. Even long time employees didn't deserve to be yelled at, they were fair game for teasing though.

Aznimal smiled at the girl when she put down the drink. "Don't worry about it," he winked, picked up the glass and took a sip.

It'd been so long since he had a good Bloody Mary. This one was like a liquid orgasm. He had to beat down the desire to suck it down. If he inhaled it, he'd be a hypocrite... Hells he just 'advised' Æana not to do it. Besides, if he took it slow he could savor it's lovely tomato-vodka goodness longer.

Mmmmm tomato-vodka goodness...

Æana's question gave him more time to delay the drink's eventual consumption. He set the glass down and looked back at Æana. "I needed a nice stiff drink," he glanced over at the collection of glasses. "Several... actually. I've had it a little rough lately."

Anonymous

Alison chuckled.

Alison: Considerin' how much money I've made off you tonight, I hope you're in need of several stiff drinks and in the area a little more often.

Jamie chuckled for a second, but quietly quickly.

Alison *to Jamie*: Will you chill out?

Alison leaned over and whispered into Jamie's ear.

Alison: Quit worrying about it.

Æana raised an eyebrow, not liking being excluded, so she decided to talk to Aznimal some more.

Æana: So, uhh, do you have any friends, or family, or such around here?

Anonymous

"I'll drink to that," Aznimal picked up his glass, tilted it in Alison's direction and took a sip. As soon as the liquid hit his tongue it began begging to be reunited with the molecules still in the glass. Plee-ase, it begged, let us all be one in the acids of your stomach!!

Aznimal put the glass down and looked at it suspiciously before turning back to Æana. Family? The last time he honestly thought about his family was back when Elial died and before that he tried not to think about them. That wasn't helping him answer the question though. "Not really. I haven't seen my family in ages, and most of my friends are busy three hundred and sixty-four days a year," he took another sip of his drink, ignoring its pleas. "Does your father come by these parts often?"

Anonymous

Æana: Well, Daddy hasn't really left our hometown in a while, so he doesn't really frequent anywhere. I just came to the nearest town and am going from here. I met up with this boy Kinshou and he was letting me stay at his house, but I wasn't really comfortable being alone with him in a strange place.

Alison listened to her story, before blinking at her.

Alison: So you came to a bar...?

Æana: Well, it's the best place to go for information and it's also the most public place. Besides, I can determine what I drink, so I'm not worried.

Æana finished off the beer, and decided that she would never drink one ever again.

Æana: And I've recently discovered that beer is nasty, so I don't have to worry about that.

Anonymous

Aznimal nodded and took another sip. All that remained of the Bloody Mary was a little pool on the bottom of the glass. It would have to suffer a bit, he wasn't going to throw the glass back to try coaxing out the last few drips of the drink.

Yet.

A few seconds seemed like a good enough wait before going after the rest of the drink. It looked so lonely just sitting at the bottom of the glass. So lonely and-

No, he didn't want to look like a boozehound. A minute or two would be a nice reasonable, sane wait.

Nice, reasonable, sane and mind bendingly long...

drink me aznimal, drink me, let me be one with the bloody mary in your stomach. plz? plzplzplzplzplz? puppy face, yummy tomato-vodka yumminess puppy face. you can feel me lingering on your tongue aznimal, you know you want the rest of me running down your tongue.

c'mon.

c'-mon.

Half a minute was as good as a full minute. It was twenty-eight seconds longer than his initial two second wait. Thirty seconds was every bit as cultured and mild mannered as a full minute was, especially compared to two seconds. Thirty > two, thirty = a-ok fine goodness. Aznimal tilted the glass back and let the little pool run down the side and into his mouth. It was just as divine as the first sip.

No more drink worship, he was trying to have a conversation. Come to think of it, he probably spent the last half minute looking warily at the dregs of the Bloody Mary. Ugh, that wasn't good. Aznimal decided to jump back into the conversation, shouldn't be too hard, he was listening to Æana and Alison. They were talking about something and Æana just said she didn't like the way beer tasted.

"Beer is disgusting. It's the only kind of alcohol that makes you feel like it can kill you before you get a hangover," he laughed a little. God, his breath smelled like Bloody Mary. If only he could lick his words, ah that would be wonderful. "Mixed drinks are better, they're stronger but they're palatable. Speaking of drinks," he fished around in his pocket and put some more silver coins on the bar. "I'll have another Bloody Mary, you want another drink Æana?"

Anonymous

Æana smiled at what Aznimal said about beer, She felt like less of a wimp now. Alison looked over at Jamie.

Alison: I'll get this one. You stay out here and converse.

Jamie was about to protest when Alison walked off, leaving her there.

Æana: Don't worry, I won't bite. Promise.

She smiled warmly at Jamie, causing Jamie to smile, too.

Jamie: I hate beer, too. I'm a wuss when it comes to alcohol actually; I only like wine coolers. They have very little alcohol, but are so damn good. Alison doesn't keep any here, though. She says no one ever orders any.

Æana: Aww, I was just about to ask to try one.

Jamie thought for a second.

Jamie: Hey, you wanna try a raspberry daquiri? They're really fruity, and I know how to make 'em really well.

Æana: Sure.

Alison returned from the back with the drink while Jamie turned to make the daquiri. Alison set the drink in front of Aznimal and took the coins off the counter.