Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Crossing (Open!)

Started by Lion, October 25, 2007, 12:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

The enchanted shackels had finally taken their toll on Ortelio; only to return with that blasted princess and then he would gain his freedom... Or so Rahell had said. How could he trust a conniving little bastard such as Lord Rahell with granting him freedom if he performed such as painstaking task as rescuing an island princess? How did he know that the lord wouldn't go back on his deal and throw him in the dungeon after bringing the wench? How did Rahell know there was a princess trapped in the middle of the Tuor Ocean anyways waiting for her rescuer? So many questions, so much at stake; it was too late to stop now for he was now at least halfway to his destination.

"When I return, I'm going to kill that clever little bastard!" Ortelio said under his breath as he peeled off the heavy layer of an overcoat from his body. It made it easier to travel carrying it rather than wearing it around in the morning sun. And it was such a beautiful day too, a perfect day to lie sleeping near a river or go hunting, not so much a beautiful day to go on a perilous adventure involving not only one's freedom but very much their life as well. He hadn't an idea how he was going to return to the Rahell estate with a princess tagging along, her most likely not used to being on the mainland. There was high risk of something going wrong at almost every turn. There may be certain officers asking what a princess is doing so far away from her kingdom without being accompanied by a chaperon and her brave band of cavaliers to guard her. They might even come across a marauding band of bloodthirsty bandits and all because Rahell had to have an exotic bride rather than just choosing one of the local ladies to wed.

The thought made Ortelio scowl all the more, but even this small sense of freedom was better than being chained to a wall for seven days without a bite to eat but stale breadcrumbs and the slop that passed for a good soup, stuff that wasn't even good enough to feed to the lowliest of beggars. Despite such, however, he was not truly free, for the enchanted metal bracelets upon his wrists, though not conspicuous, were tracking his journey.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

hikaru.dream

Cloud didn't like leaving her alone. He was her guard after all.
But she insisted and here he was gathering herbs in the middle of a dense forest. He did not dislike the place, it just disturbed him to be away from her so long.

He picked up the rather large basket that he had set on the ground and trudged on through the woods, being careful not to trample more things then needed, and kneeling once or twice once he spotted a requested herb.

Stopping again, he ran a large hand through his wild brown hair and peered around into forest. Although he was very good with the sword, he did not use much magic, but he had a very good sense of direction, more than enough to stay in the forest without getting lost. North was that way.

Faintly, he heard the sound of foot steps in the forest.
Who, in the world would be in such a place? Asides me, he added to himself.
Curiosity got the better of him and headed toward the sound silently, using only his ears to guide him.
Although he doubted it would be someone preparing to attack him he adjusted his gigantic sword strapped to his back to a easier position to take out.

He happened to approach from behind.
Noticing the shackles and the magic surrounding them, he studied the middle aged man.
Then he took a step forward and a crack resounded through the silence.

Lion

"What!" Ortelio's mind raced as the sense of someone approaching grew stronger.  Turning swiftly around, he noticed the man before him in clothing he had never seen before.  Could they be that of a guard or warrior from another land?  Or perhaps he was one of those notorious slave hunters that traversed all over the continent in search of making a hasty profit?  But even if this man was a slave captor, Ortelio would be unable to be sold because he bore the mark of Lord Erkinius Rahell in which was printed on all of his property; on slaves it was tattooed on the nape of the neck in a special ink that was virtually permanent.  The mark itself was simply an old English styled 'R' but held a distinctive power.  It was, at least, covered by the lengths of silver hair hanging from his head.

This wood was so dense it was a wonder he had not detected the man's presence sooner.  The look of him was not as threatening at first however the huge sword on his back convinced Ortelio otherwise.  Taking a leap backwards, Ortelio shifted his footing to a more balanced position and questioned to the man, "Who, in the name of Canis, are you?"  He gripped his coat tighter and braced himself for whatever may come next.

[[Ooc: Wow, I wish I'd written more, but I suffered one of those frequent 'lack of inspiration' sequences.  Sorry.]]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

hikaru.dream

((Ooc:I'm sorry, I'm running low on time so it will be short))

"Good day." Cloud said politely, showing no sign of any feeling.
"I do not have a title here. My name is Cloud. And you are?"

There was silence.

Cloud studied the other yet again. He seemed to be about twice his own age. Cloud did not like the feeling of the shackles. It wasn't a 'kind' magic that bound them. Of course, magic for shackles was bound to be bad.

"Can I help you in anyway, sir?"

Lion

[oh it's fine.  Don't worry]

He was at a loss.  Was this not a slave captor?  Would he not try to wrestle him into the ground, cuff him and ship him off to the nearest trade post that was somewhere in the mountain pass?  These questions were soon dispelled when Ortelio spotted the rather large basket filled with an assortment of herbs.  Certainly no professional slave hunter would have a need to pick herbs themselves when they could just buy the already made concoctions at town shops with their "hard earned" pay.  Dumbfounded, he relaxed his tension a bit and answered, "Braem be my name.  Ortelio Braem."

This is foolish! he thought.  What in the world do I have to fear about this man.  I'm running when there's no need to run.  Completely putting down his guard, he looked down at the chainless bracelets on his wrists, unleashing a golden hue from the morning sunlight.  Noticing Cloud looking at them with a discomforted gaze, he know looked at the glowing shackles no longer with the former stoicism to his enslavement but was now glowering at them with an intense hatred.  A hatred of anything and everything that stood in the way of one pursuing their right to liberty.  And most of all a hate that boiled at the name of Rahell itself.  But the hatred soon passed when Cloud spoke again.

"Only if you know a way to remove magical shackles," Ortelio replied with a puzzled expression.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

hikaru.dream

It wasn't hard for Cloud to notice that the man, Braem he had said, disliked the shackles. No, more intensely hated. He did not like them either.

"Excuse me." Cloud said, and came closer to inspect the shackles.
They were well done, he had to admit.
"I know how to remove regular magical shackles." He said finally. "These are made so no one can take them off. Maybe the person who made them can. There is another way, though, but that would be painful, and a low chance of succeeding. Well... It would succeed only you may not have hands anymore."

Although Cloud had suspected it at first, he now had all the information he needed to be able to conclude that Braem was a slave. He had met plenty of slaves before, and helped many of them escape, but rarely met one who had been guarded so well. It annoyed him greatly.
Noticing the other's thin arms he felt slightly, only slightly, guilty of his own well fed care.
"How long have you been eating something more than.....water and maybe breadcrumbs?"

And though he half expected Braem not to answer he added,
"And what are you doing in a place like this?"

Lion

Ortelio winced at the mention of a blade smashing down on the shackles just as a way to remove them.  Cloud was right, he probably wouldn't have hands anymore if the blade were to miss.  And the chances of it striking precisely were slim, too slim.  Ortelio thought about returning to the person who had made these shackles, though they were not bound together as normal shackles were, they still bound him from killing any human, animals not included.  He could attack them, apprehend them, even do so much as to keep them from waking up for a while, a long while.  But should he so much act in a way that would bring them to the brink of death, the shackles would create a burning sensation in his hands and body, bringing him agonizing pain.  He had to figure this out the hard way.

Returning to the one who enchanted these devices of imprisonment to break them seemed to be a reasonable suggestion.  But after considering it for a moment, Ortelio excused the advice for the one who made these was most likely Kratenbach, the half-crazed alchemist under Rahell's instruction.  He lived on the estate and to return to the estate princess-less would mean no freedom and possibly even torture for such a failure.  That is, should he be caught attempting to break the devices purposely put on him.

"Never.  I capture wild game and fish when I can....  Er, I've just had a string of bad luck lately."  Ortelio felt the rumblings in his stomach once more.  He hadn't eaten for what seemed like four days; his body suspiciously sucking the once thick muscles from his arms as a suffice meal.  Clearing his throat, he added, "What I'm doing here is my own business.  But since you're curious, I'll oblige.  I'm looking for a princess basically and somehow I ended up here.  And what of you, sir, if I may ask?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

hikaru.dream

Cloud had a sneaking suspicion that Braem was thinking of smashing the shackles. It was his guess that they wouldn't come off that way. It happened that his way was much more painful.
His sharp ears picked up the grumbling of Braem's stomach and realized how hungry he was himself. He set down his basket again.

Cloud was more half surprised that the other man replied, but he was even more surprised at himself. He used to be a being just living to protect one person; since when did he become some nice enough to ask someone he didn't know at all their business?

Cloud's left hand twitched at the word 'princess', the only thing showing his  uneasiness.
"A princess?"

Then, realizing he had not answered the question directed at him he said lifting the basket,
"Er.... Herb collecting?"

Lion

"Yes, a princess.  Do you know where I can find one?  Not that I need her myself, but I'm sure one would be helpful in getting my task done."  Ortelio, scratched the back of his head and the nape of his neck with an exhausted motion.  He felt as if he hadn't slept in a sequence similar to that of his starvation.  Well, he had, after all been walking since dawn, not exactly aware of his surroundings for his head spun with a dizzied fatigue.  And even though he resented aid when he was sure he wouldn't need it, his head began to spin and his knees felt like they were going to buckle under him.  He managed to ask, "You wouldn't happen to have any water on you do you?" before collapsing unconscious on the semi-soft forest earth.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

hikaru.dream

Cloud didn't move until he was sure Braem was unconscious.
He didn't trust him. It wasn't Cloud's nature to trust. But somehow he had the feeling that he may like this man.
Carefully he propped Braem against a nearby tree.

"A princess? Yes, I know one. But she will be of no use to you." He said quietly. "Or I hope not."

Cloud very well knew that the chances were low that Braem was talking of the princess he knew, but it still unnerved him nevertheless. Why was he walking in the forest with a strange man when he should guard her?

He withdrew a small pack which had been almost fully hidden by his sword and opened it to reveal much more food then what should be able to fit inside it. Fiddling around inside, he found one of the many small caskets of water and stuck one in the older man's hand. He paused a few moments but finally spread out some food nearby as well. He'd have to keep the animals off it.

Many months ago, he would have just left the man there to care for himself. Really, when did he become so soft.
Or was he soft? He couldn't tell.

Cloud carefully took off his sword,seated himself next to Braem and closed his eyes.
His legs had been tired, and they were happy for the rest. He fiddled with the sword placed in his lap and let the stillness of the forest calm him.
Cloud drifted off into a well practiced meditation and waited for Braem to open his eyes.