Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Searching for a soul (private)

Started by Anonymous, May 03, 2008, 08:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Insolence,"'
Insolence?' Dave hung his head slightly to one side. This man looked like fun, he had power too. Being unable to judge the exten of the shadow's power he came up closer to take a look. 'Really, who did revive you? What did he look like?' He continued grinning manically, slowly edging closer to the shadow, 'you look like something Magda would do, only she often forgets to leave people's memories.'

Darkness knew that the skeleton was partially tyying to stir the man. He put out his hands in a manner to try and calm the man, they were obviously touching a nerve, 'easy, we truly mean you no harm. If you keep this up this defencive attitude that might change though.' Unlike Dave, Darkness did not like wanton killing.

He turned to the half-dragon, who was about to escape. The Image of Darkness began chanting and darkness srung around and inside the mind of the dragon-man. The chanting was only for effect but in his deep, dark voice, it was know to make women (and some men) cry. The darkness surrounding the creature was not enough to cause any harm but it would certainly make the creature panick. 'I'm sorry but I can''t let you leave. You can put the girl down and she can make her own way.'

Anonymous

Anonymous

OOC: shoot, I'm really sorry. bakc to you Isolde, I'll skip next turn if you like.

Anonymous

((It's totally fine. I'm treating this as a post that flows in-between the time of those. Maybe we can resume the usual order after this, when Nightshade posts. mdu, you should probably skip this next one directly after me. After all, you don't have anything to react to until One Last Breath posts again. :P))

Quickly placing the strap of the little bag over her head and across chest and shoulder, Lyra's head lifted once more to his voice. Although she was absolutely ecstatic that she wasn't the original target despite her disorientedness at the sudden disruption by something that felt so corrupt in such a pure, quiet place, the alternative wasn't any better and the trouble was very much there to stay, by the sound of the cold exchange and the instruction she was given.

When would the skeleton stop speaking, with that horrible grin? Lyra could hardly stand to look at the sinister pair, especially the corpse, advancing slowly and expelling nothing but blatant, even mocking lies. The nymph was lifted onto the man's back, laughably light in comparison. Hands fastening on the intricate mass and holding tight. Attention divided between the surreal situation and the equally as surreal beings involved, Lyra was speechless. This in and of itself added to the extreme abnormality of recent events. It was only a few days ago that she was on the mainland, traveling with her river and contemplating the condition and definition of islands.

After a brief pause and the meeting of sights between the two, they turned and assumed a pace beyond what even Lyra could comfortably achieve in most open areas. Tightening her grip after the first moment of acceleration, Lyra bowed her head, then turned her neck to let the stray hairs from her face and looked over her shoulder, eyes settling almost immediately upon the dark one, who appeared to be muttering something under his breath. A shiver ran up her spine, visibly shaking her frame. She turned away, wishing to cover her ears but unwilling to let go. It felt as if something was filtering past her to surround her new companion. Her body tensed, brow contorting slightly with concentration - on the wind past her ears, or the defiant continuing flow of the stream. Anything but that horrible, deep sound.

Anonymous

((Sorry for the late post, I didn't realise everyone had replied!!))

Kumori was growing weary of the skeleton's speech. It surprised him, just how little reaction this bag of bones had initially drawn from him. OK, so the words coming out of the skeleton's mouth were annoying, but the visual itself? How many people could stand there, unflinching, whilst a skeleton walked and talked before them like a living, breathing, being? Now that was something to muse about. Kumori often did have calm reflections at the most inappropriate times.

"Really, who did revive you? What did he look like? You look like something Magda would do, only she often forgets to leave people's memories."

"Hmph," Kumori snorted, eyes narrowed to slits. His hand tightened on his weapon, but he stood his ground. Inside, he was thinking, I will not tolerate such impudence from this being, but there was no reason to attack. No, he was a drifter, more often passive than not. But every now and again, something would stir him into action. And if the skeleton kept going at this rate, edging closer with that grotesque excuse for a face, then the dormant volcano within Kumori would be bound to erupt. Heaven forbid the day that happens.

"Easy, we truly mean you no harm. If you keep this up this defensive attitude that might change though."

Kumori's eyes flicked to the other being. His tight-lipped silence was his only response, apart from the dilation of his pupils. For a split second, inky blackness filled his eyes, the blackness of the universe without any stars, the blackness of the deepest darkest depths of the ocean, and the blackness of the terror of the soul. This was blackness that could swallow up voices, bodies, souls, engulf them all to the pit of despair. Kumori did not know this though. The effect was only there for a fraction of a second, and then his eyes were the same blank brown. He had never seen his eyes when they did that, and it barely happened at all, was more of a subconscious thing. An unconscious warning to others, of whatever it was that was locked within.

In the exchange of words between the half-dragon and the being, Kumori finally realised that they were after the half-dragon. When the being started to chant, Kumori frowned in distaste. It was slightly irritating in the way that a wasp buzzing is irritating, but didn't seem to be affecting him like the way it was affecting the female nymph. He cocked his head to the side, and listened for a few seconds, eyes flicking back and forth to the other beings.

The skeleton, he swatted with his arm. That damn thing had gotten so close to him that it was invading his personal space. Kumori picked up his sword, walked over to the nymph and the half-dragon, and placed himself in between them. He turned to the half-dragon, and asked, "Are you being affected by this? If you are, then it would make more sense for you to head away from here, with the female. I can stand my ground."

Anonymous

Lazarus' front feet stumbled along the ground as he near fell forward. His huge dragon's hand shot forward to catch himself, the long obsidian claws leaving deep scars in the soft mossy earth. He panted, feeling something cold and heavy rush around him as if he were suddenly trapped in icy rapids. Carefully fixing his footing, Lazarus reached backwards with his human hand, wanting to make sure his sudden stop had not dislodged the poor damaged Nymph from his back. It seemed since she had been holding tightly onto his horns, she was fine. Lazarus patted her kindly on the head, smiling faintly for a moment despite the dark power swirling around him.

"I will not leave an injured creature to fend for herself," Lazarus responded in a sharp voice to The Image of Darkness, turning his head slightly to glare over his shoulder. His eyes were all but black, the shadow magic filling his vision with darkness, leaving him blind. The power surging around him was quite unnerving, but he was not the type to panic right away, especially when he was worrying over more then his own welfare. Crouching slightly, he touched his dragon's hand to the earth, feeling where the plants curved around feet, feeling where the greenery sensed life. He couldn't see that way, but it gave him in idea of what was around. His mouth hung open, his long forked tongue darting into the air every moment or two, tasting the air the way a snake might.

Kumori had moved close to him, and yet Lazarus still felt as if he was standing in the path of a huge icy river. "Are you being affected by this? If you are, then it would make more sense for you to head away from here, with the female. I can stand my ground."

"I am," he answered, his voice betraying a little of the discomfort he felt, "But I can not flee... I can not see..." Lazarus focused on the feel of the girl on his back, strengthening his resolve. He recalled a time when he himself had been so small, so frail, and wished desperately for someone, anyone to help him. 'I will never leave anyone in need, ever' he thought to himself. Then, lifting his dragon's hand from the ground, he focused on the spot he had sensed The Image of Darkness to be standing on.

'Grow', he said, but not in any language any of them would understand, unless they could read minds. From the spot he was focusing on, sprouted a huge twisted tree, the point of it sharp and jagged, it's bark rough and thorned. Red and black leaves shot from it's skin, shaking from their brilliant skin stinging spores.

The intent of course, was the skewer the caster of the spell, but blind as he was, he could not see if it had worked.

The stinging spores hovered in the air like puffs of golden cotton.

'Do not touch them,' Lazarus sent the warning to both Lyra and Kumori, hoping with a dull feverish panic that the darkness that had enclosed him would fade.

Anonymous

"Ah!" Lifting a few inches, Lyra had caught herself in time and roughly settled back. She twisted her waist, turning left and right as they came to a stop and Lazarus gathered himself together once more, though apparently blinded by the strange force. She wondered if there was any way to dispel it, though the dark one himself seemed to be its ultimate source, placing such a thought far out of her ability at the moment, drastically slowed and heavily lacking in the element of her birth.

Her grip weakening, the nymph watched the movements of her allies and the terrible two, eyes darting every which way to acutely catch sight of small movements and gestures, less unnerved now with her senses more instinctually enhanced by the proximity of danger. The half-dragon spoke shortly in a very unfamiliar tongue, as if it were an incantation of some sort, vaguely striking note of familiarity somewhere in her mind, as if it were comparable to some other array of sounds.

It was then that the tree burst from the ground, growing in size exponentially and creating a curling, grating noise. Not many people knew what trees sounded like, mostly due to the fact that they grew so slowly and, in consequence, so quietly that the noise would seem like a deep roar as opposed to a rush. Lyra gave a sharp intake of breath at such a familiar sight turned foreign by its intent. In the next moment, a gentle rain of the amber puffs trickled down through the air. Lyra watched their descent, hands twitching as she received the warning.

Letting her hands reluctantly fall into her lap, she raised them a short distance from her and extended each finger, then waving her hands quickly outward in a very light, curtaining motion almost instantly after the spores appeared. The few stray spores drifting toward them fell back in a curve toward the dark one and the skeleton through the air, sufficiently thick with humidity to allow the gesture. Giving another such gesture, stronger in its stroke, Lyra met resistance from the filtering cold that saturated the area around them. She replaced her hands hastily, surprised by its prevalence even in physical space, her shoulders slacking. Though its affect was obviously placed heavily upon the mind of the half-dragon, that sickening darkness almost had weight.

Anonymous

'Dave, stop pestering the poor thing,' the Image of Darkness snapped. 'And you, calm yourself. I don't mean to hurt anyone here. I too would not allow the girl to be harmed.'

The skeletal bird on his shoulder spread its wings and flew over to the shadow. The thing now had a very short life expectancy. Dave watched, just out of the shadow's arm length and followed him to the half-dragon.

The growing plant startled Darkness and he jumped aside and he lost focus, 'what do you think you're doing? You could have hurt someone.' He increased the darkness once more, this time not bothering with chanting. It was a darkness that would hopefully envelope everyone in the vacinity except him.

The darkness billowed out from his body, expanding and suffocating its victims' eyes. It was a darkness that light fled from, a darkness that was the opposite of light and darker than black. All anybody would see was his dim form, showing up less dark.

Dave shrank to the ground and started screaming. It was too much for the poor thing.

'Dave, I will let this up shortly. Just listen to my voice and think about skeletons,' he spoke in a deep booming voice that would quell the living but soothe the dead, possibly even the shadow would be calmed.
Dave kept screaming.

Next Darkness spoke to the half-dragin, 'Just sit still and let the shadow take the girl away. He can bind her wounds with anything he can hind in our pack. I do not want to harm anyone.' Hopefully the intensity of the darkness would not harm the others permanently. He went over to the skeleton and held tightly to his remaining hand. 'Be still.'

Anonymous

It seemed the half-dragon had an instilled air of nobility about him, making Kumori curious as to the origins of him. He had a mental image of sitting with the half-dragon around a little jade table, sipping green tea from quaint tea-cups and a teapot, and discussing philosophical issues. There would be artfully sculpted trees and rocks in the little spiritual garden, which would provide the backdrop. This thought was dangerously bordering on the comical. Kumori's lip twitched slightly, dispelling the vision, other than that, he remained impassive, face as set as stone and arms folded as that of a sentinel.

Behind him, the half-dragon faltered, but seemed more than capable of sustaining his balance, so there was no need for Kumori to react at all. No, Kumori's attention was wholly focused upon the two vile beings before him, so when the tree suddenly erupted from the ground, he was slightly taken aback.

The great tremors caused him to lose his own balance, and he stepped to the side to avoid a huge crack that had zigzagged across the ground. Earth and stones shook, as the tree grew larger and larger, and more unnatural by the second. Black and red warning leaves hung in sharp contrast to the thorny bark, and by the time the tree had grown to its full height, it towered over Kumori as one huge jagged spiral. The only thing he could've compared the growth of the tree to, was to the roar of a waterfall, or the destructive temper of the alpine avalanches.

"Do not touch them."

Touch what? Oh, the golden spores. Kumori shielded his eyes against the glare of the sun, head tilted up to take in the full magnitude of the tree. The beautiful golden spores were drifting directly above him, large incandescent orbs that glowed a warm yellow.

His left hand was already outstretched, a spore had already landed upon it, and Kumori's skin began to redden and blister from the point of contact. He dropped the spore without so much a word, or any indication of any pain, and raising up his right hand, which was gloved in black leather, and still gripping the sword, he scythed through the air, creating a current that drove the spores away from his body, and stepped out of the immediate path of the spores. He turned his hand to the side, in the light, and observed the blistered flesh.

Suddenly he looked up, feeling a new wave of dark energy emanate from the being. The tiny shadows clustered around Kumori, dubious as to the intent of the being. He felt the darkness wash over him, with slightly more effect than the being's previous attempt, and in defence, he automatically lifted up his right arm to shield himself, even though it was futile. Physical couldn't work against this. Unless...he struck at the core.

He glanced at the half-dragon, wondering what his plan was. For Kumori had no qualms about staying to fight.

((Lovely posts guys!! <3))

Anonymous

Warmth fled from Lazarus' skin. His claws clenched, scarring the ground under him. He felt suddenly as if he was sinking rapidly, his limbs becoming heavy under the weight of the sudden surging of darkness. He could not feel the light press of the weight from Lyra, so meekly his tail lifted and poked about, just to make sure she was there. Smiling as he discovered she was, he gave her a quick pat with the tip of his tail, and let it drop back behind him. Sparks of pain tumbled in needled cartwheels down every nerve, making his limbs twitch in refusal of the pain.

He worried over the Nymph, and Kumori. Could they feel the mounting pressure of the shadows, too? He especially worried over the girl, his tail again drifting back and coiling in a few protective loops around her shoulders. Part of him wanted to stay and fight, but part of him wanted to run. he wasn't frightened, but he wanted to tend to the Nymph; get somewhere safe with her and perhaps fix up her leg. He grappled with the two emotions for a brief moment, his thoughts slowed by the shadows creeping over him. If he were a lesser beast, he would have cried out in pain, but truthfully he had endured much worse tortures.

'Kumori' his thought-speak was so handy, even if the other party could not speak the same way back 'I can not fight when there is someone in need of care. I will return to fight them, after I take the lady somewhere safe.'

Again, Lazarus held up his dragon's hand, the long obsidian claws glinting under the spots of sun that tumbled through the sparse canopy.

'I don't mean to hurt anyone here. I too would not allow the girl to be harmed.' the dark being had said. Lazarus let a cold but gentlemanly smile cross his lips.

"You'll have to forgive me for not believing you," it was a struggle to speak, but he managed just barely. His dragon's hand flexed and he spoke another word in his language, this time 'Bind'.

Thorny vines shot out from every direction, attempting to wrap the spell caster to the point of suffocation.

Lazarus did not even stay to see if the attack hit its mark; he was running, the shadow magic making it feel like he was running through quick sand, his limbs heavy and hard to move. He managed it all the same though, hoping to get out of The Image of Darkness' range of attack, before something else could stop him from getting away with Lyra.

Anonymous

The girl's ghostly figure, consumed by the second wave along with the others, was barely visible in that first moment of pitch. This dark purity was so unlike the wholeness of light and the airiness of night. It was a gluttonous living cavity, swallowing everything but the silhouette of the caster in those unbearably long first moments.

Lyra felt the curl of the dragon's tail around her, but could hardly place it on a level of reason. She felt incredibly, instantly numbed by the shock alone and felt her limbs tingling, each going the way of her consciousness. It was something similar to what she'd always been told about drowning. The experience wasn't possible for the nymph, but the similarity in her imagination was terrifying. She thought to begin to think about breathing, but that forcible slumber insisted upon the halt of all function. Her lower body was going limp though supported by the dragon's grasp and her own weight, seemingly doubled to the rest of her by that dead, devouring feeling.

Abruptly, a flood of effects from the surroundings returned triumphantly. It was as if they'd passed from the center of a storm cloud that, despite its initial invasion and resistance, seemed to pursue them at their heels with a vaguer and vaguer outline as they fled. She gasped as movement returned to her by transition, although her head was light - and not in the usual way. Looking down through the haze clouding her eyes, normally so bright and clear, the nymph recognized the glare of red once more. The wave of feeling in her lower leg was positively searing, deprived for long enough from any resources to begin mending itself.

"What-..." She drifted between haze and shade, her face starkly white. The sure feel of movement and its low hum provided a staple distinct from the pitch of before as her eyes struggled to re-adjust.

Anonymous

Dave continued screaming as everything happened around him. He curled up into a tight ball and tried to cover his body with a single arm. All those memories of when he had tried to convert his friend flowed though him, paralysing him. It had been the only time when he had wished for true death. The darkness lifted around him but he did not look up in case it came again.

'Dave, help me!' called the Image of Darkness.

He was wrapped tightly in an annoying vine. He could not even squirm to get free but with Dave out of action there was nothing he could do.

'Dave, you need to breathe, the darkness has left. There is only me and the light. I am sorry to have put you though that but you need to rise,' soothed Darkness in his deep voice, 'the dragon has gone and I need you to get me out. The shadow is still here and I doubt he will look kindly on you.'

Dave remained curled up. Darkness looked down at the skeleton with sorrow. It was strange how the other creatures has been less effected. He had thought for sure that the half-dragon would have fallen to the ground too.

He looked to the shadow, 'leave Dave alone, he cannot fight and it would be cowardly to attack him.' It would be cowardly to attack a bound man too but he doubted that would bother the shadow as much. It was a shame the others had got themselves involved, nobody would have got hurt.

'I will not revive you, never do that again,' Darkness heard Dave whisper. Darkness looked back at the skeleton, who was still curled up but had lifted his head.

'Finally you agree,' laughed Darkness. Despite how bad Dave seemed, he would go back to normal. 'Do you feel up to getting me out of these vines?'
Dave shook his head and looked at the shadow.

Anonymous

Kumori. Kumori started, at just how close the whisper seemed to appear, to him. It was ghostly intangible, like a sliver of mist, but different in that it held the tones of warmth and sunlight, and of lush greenery. It was the light tropical wind, bringing the scents of the sea and of exotic flowers. This voice was familiar, and Kumori intuitively knew that it belonged to the half-dragon, and that the beast was talking to him using mind power.

I can not fight when there is someone in need of care. I will return to fight them, after I take the lady somewhere safe.

Kumori nodded once, without turning around to betray the fact that the half-dragon had communicated with him at all. Aside from the gentle wind billowing his cloak, Kumori could've been made of stone, for all he cared. His sword was still gripped lightly in his hand, resting in the flesh of his palm, and a few metres behind him, the half-dragon had uttered his last spell before fleeing.

Unfortunately it missed both the Image of Darkness and the skeleton which was still sprawled upon the ground rolling from side to side and howling ever so hideously. That damn thing was more painful than the Image's attack had ever been. So, it is just you and me now, Kumori thought, eyes narrowing, and muscles tensing. He watched impassively whilst the dark being went forth to comfort the skeleton; only the flickering of his eyes betrayed any movement.

It had been a while since he had become this active. However, saying this, Kumori was currently preparing his mental space, envisioning calm mountain tops and soothing springs. Peace flowed into his mind, the peace of the warrior, the calm before the storm. All around him, the shadows clustered, whispering and nudging one another, wondering what was going to happen next. He still didn't feel truly alive, but any emotion, anything, was better than nothing.

"Leave Dave alone, he cannot fight and it would be cowardly to attack him."

"I agree," Kumori said simply, locking eyes with the Image of Darkness.

He didn't say anymore. They hadn't attempted to get past him yet. So there was no need for attack. It made sense, in a cold, logical way.

((Short post, sorrry!!!))

Anonymous

This time, they seemed to have managed a narrow escape. Lazarus felt a slight pang of guilt for leaving the warrior alone to fight, but knew it could not be helped. He would return, as soon as possible, but first there were more urgent things to attend too. Greenery whipped past as Lazarus galloped, his strides becoming faster and more powerful the further away they got. He felt exceedingly lucky for the scales that covered more then half of his body, it had not been the first time they had repelled magic that would have other wise seriously hurt them. 'I wonder why no one thinks to attack with cold...' he mused momentarily, before shaking his head and clearing his thoughts.

Now was a time to concentrate. He glanced backwards at the little Nymph, offering a quick white smile. "I do apologize for the sudden uprooting of your person, miss. I wished to remove you from danger, is all. May I ask your name?" he wasnt slowing yet, hoping to put miles and miles behind them before finally coming to rest. There was a little grove he knew of a good distance away, with the perfect plants for numbing any painful wounds, and others for killing any dangerous infection.

He'd have to get there, and then find a place for Lyra to hide. He couldn't abide destructive creatures on his island, and knew that he had to face them again, even if they were after him. His magic repelling scales often kept him safe from any kind of attack any hunter would think to throw at him, and so this fact made him perhaps the slightest bit over confidant. Lazarus glanced behind him, no long able to see Kumori, Darkness, or the skeleton. He was quite careful turning his head, so as not to dislodge Lyra's hands from his sharp intricate horns.

Anonymous

((Sorry for the delay. Lots of weekend stuffs to take care of.))

The flurry of colors and shapes fleeting past them began to take mroe definite forms. The nymph blinked several times, the daze fading. Small clinking noises reassured her that the little leather pack was in its place, resting at her hip. It was always the first thing she checked when waking and when laying down to sleep. She supposed now that it had become a habit reaching farther into her subconscious due to the importance of such light cargo.

She sat up, trying to straighten her back a bit to better support herself and keep her head still. The speed of the creature was astonishing. She'd never run with pressing reason, but she had run fast before, supported by her oddly masked bone structure; never this fast. The feeling was familiar, though; calming in a distinct way rather than unsettling or jolting.

When she first opened her mouth, her voice was lost to the wind. When she raised her voice to be heard it was peculiarly reminiscent of it, like an echo. She wondered why people apologized for things that met such beneficial ends so often.

"My name is Lyra. What's your name?"

Anonymous

The Image of Darkness was still stuck in the vines and the wind seemed to be blowing the ugly red flowers closer. Red meant danger and he doubted the half-dragon had made it grow because it was pretty: it was there for a reason.

'Dave. I need you to look at me.'
The skeleton remained still.
'Dave, you are a skeleton! How many creatures have you resurected in your lifetime? Do you truly want to have it all end because you cowered from a friend's magic?'
The skeleton grumbled and lifted his head. Sometimes stirring was the only way to get him going.
'That shadow you were so fascinated by, is he braver than you? He stands looking over you now. How does it feel?'
The skeleton got to his feet, 'I AM NOT A COWARD! THE DARKNESS DOESN'T PHASE YOU, IT'S NEVER TRIED TO RIP YOUR MIND APART!'
Darkness was surprised at Dave's furiosity, but at least it had got him up. 'Good, you're still sane. Now get me out of this damned vine so we can collect our dragonman and get out of here.'

Darkness looked at the shadow, he didn't seem to be paying much attention but that may be just be a ruse. He turned back to Dave, cooing him over and trying to get him to cut away the vine.

Anonymous

The exchange between the dark man and the skeleton was absolutely fascinating. Kumori found himself studying it, analysing it coldly, with a detached mindset. How could such a bond have formed between two beings such as these in the first place? The relationship they had was almost tender. Kumori could not remember the last time he had had these feelings displayed to him, or the last time he had given these feelings to someone. Such was the path he chose, a path of loneliness, a path of frustration, a bitter, howling cold path that slowly ate away at his soul.

No wonder he was so empty inside.

He had built up these walls for so many years, for so long, that it was near impossible to get through them now. There were no cracks, no weak points. Kumori had effectively barricaded himself in his own fortress of ice, so that the longer time passed, the more detached, the more frozen he became.

A sardonic smile tugged the edge of Kumori's mouth, as he heard the dark being accuse the skeleton of being a coward.

He could so easily go in there now and finish them off, whilst the man was incapacitated by the vines. Such odd behaviour for plants, Kumori thought. The vines had literally sprouted from the ground in the blink of an eye with growth so accelerated that one could not see the dirt, for the vine leaves. All of the sharp points had missed the dark man; but the tendrils had found their prey and clung to him with a ferocity that was alien to the tame nature Kumori had always been accustomed to.

"I cannot let you pass, so if you wish to fight, then free that man," Kumori intoned in a booming voice to the skeleton. "If you wish to avoid antagonism then you will leave him be, seeing as you are unlikely to leave this island without your goal."

He was offering the skeleton a choice. All he felt for the animated bones was disgust, but Kumori was a fair man, normally much more passive. Normally, he would distance himself from any action. But here, in this isolated island, there would be no one else to help the one who the two dark beings before him was after.

Shifting slightly, the light glinted off the blade of his sword, reminding the others of Kumori's weapon, which was still clasped in his right hand. His left hand was sore, still stinging from the contact made with the spore. Red welts had blistered in a spidery pattern from the point of contact, making his flesh appear puffy and swollen. If he noticed any pain, no expression on his face betrayed it.

It had been so long since he had last fought properly. In fact, the last time he had fought had been the day he almost died, the day they found him and tried to rebuild him. He had been all too happy to die on the battlefield, to ride the wings of the warrior and fly with the eagle towards the setting sun, towards a sun that was stained with the blood of the thousands of other noble warriors who he had fought with or against. That had been the last time he was truly happy. To lie there, bleeding to death, knowing that he would enter Valhalla with the might of one who was great and who had died in valiant battle.

And then he had returned to this abomination; this atrocity, this abhorrent excuse for a body. Chained to this world, tethered to this life, Kumori's feelings slowly ebbed away until he was nothing but a wanderer, a shadow. But he was sure he could still remember how to fight. He was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but maybe this could be the time when he...

No.

He wouldn't let them win. It had to be a fair fight. He could not want death. It had to be given in a fair duel, a duel with him giving his all, giving his best. Otherwise it would not be an honourable death.

Kumori's eyes darkened for a split second, and then all was clear, as he watched to see what would happen next.

Anonymous

"Lyra," he repeated, testing the word, making sure he could pronounce it properly with his odd snake-ish tongue. "It's nice to meet you, Lyra. My name is Lazarus, and I am the protector of these ruins." He allowed his run to slow only slightly, the wind's roar around them dying down, the bright colorful blurs reduced to recognizable smears of plants. His claws clapped hard against the ground as he trotted, twisting around slightly to first give Lyra a gentlemanly smile, and then to cast a quick glance at her ankle.

The vines and plants parted like curtains around them as they passed through, brilliantly colored birds taking wing and flinging themselves into the sky as their perches were disturbed. Before them was another vast clearing, filled to the brim with crumbling stone buildings, and creeping vines. Now slowing to a speedy walk, Lazarus carefully climbed over the tumbled stones, occasionally rearing into his hind legs to vault a particularly difficult obstacle.  

"It's strange to have so many visitors here all at once," he mused out loud, "I hardly get one visitor every couple of years..." he shook his head, pale honey colored strands dusting about the small of his (human) back. "We're heading to that building on the very edge of the clearing. Just behind it, as a patch of plants I can use to help you with your wound." Lazarus paused, and then asked "Why did you come here, Lyra? What were you seeking?"

Anonymous

Lyra watched the sunlight glint across his pale strands of hair, almost matching it. Light was one of her favorite features of the world, she thought. It changed with every environment, its bending and conforming to its surroundings to complement them. It gave many gifts, among them being shadows, shines, and reflections: each having its own value and manner of truth.

"An island," she interjected with a kind of pride as she looked back up, her eyes reflecting the flood of light from between the thinning trees and appearing for a moment a strangely pure grey with barely the sillhouette of a center. The nymph let one hand fall safely down to rub at the base of her ankle to distract herself from the pain. The wound had stopped bleeding, very thinly veiled and stubbornly resisting her body's defenses due to some strange form of exposure, while the blood returned to her face and restored what little color she normally possessed. The dried blood was bright and thin, as if formerly diluted.

"I'd never been to an island before. I thought I'd travel to see one for a birthday present, so I sat in a boat and stayed very quiet." Birthday presents were perhaps the fourth or fifth greatest invention by man, definitely. She was certain that no one would disagree, with the exception of the few who might place it third.

"You're wonderful," she said with a little-muffled tone of awe, tilting her head to one side and letting her gaze travel along the scaly sides of her new companion. She hadn't finished marveling at the sheer novelty of such a being. She tossed her often as obstructive, silvery curls over her shoulder, opting to get a better look at the emerald scales patterning Lazarus' dragon-half. They positively exuded some sort of extraordinary qualities. Her demeanor had improved significantly since they'd created a good distance between themselves and that oppressive darkness which had consumed the grove far behind like a plague. She continued brightly, "What are you, Lazarus?"

Anonymous

Darkness flinched as the wind blew one of the plant's flowers to his hace. It stung and he guessed the skin was blisterring away. It was stuck to him and he shook his head to try and remove it. Nothing happened so he gritted his teeth, 'hurry up Dave, this thing...' he groaned as he felt it eating deep into the flesh of his cheek. Darkness would be flowing out of the hole. Hopefully Dave could handle it.
Darkness attempted to blind the shadow. he only put a small amount of hiself to it because he didn't want to open hiw smarting wound or alert Dave. Perhaps it would only dull the shadow's sight. Anything would be better then nothing, Dave only had one arm to fight with and he probably wasn't completely over Darkness's attack.

Dave looked at the hole and shuddered. He averted his eyes and tried not to look at any dark spots in the surrounding. He slowly stepped closer to Darkness without looking at him again, 'can you hold on Darkness? This is going to take time.' Darkness grunted and kept his teeth firmly shut.
Dave glared at the shadow though hollow eyes, 'Jerk! You stupid jerk! I will not leave my friend. Do you know what friends are or did your creator forget to add them to you?'
Out of the corner of his eye he could see Darkness looking disgruntled at the insult. He sneered and dropped his pack and removed his cloak. It would be easier to fight without them.
'I am no coward, I would rather suck whatever excuse for a soul and bones you have left and make a living skeleton out of you than have Darkness stuck here with you. Then at least you might appreciate the life you have!'
Hopefully the Image of Darkness would not try to use his darkness. Dave felt a little twitchy as it was.

OOC: yes they are meant to be close, it is a side effect of Darkness not being quite male. I thought it might look like it was written by a girly-girl and this was a mistake.