Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost Little Stray...(private)

Started by Anonymous, May 03, 2008, 06:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"It's okay," Mystery's ears wilted slightly on either side of her head, but she smiled all the same, taking the offered hand. "Well, where I come from... it is. If someone isn't obedient they get in big trouble... so it's better to do as you're told... if you're from the Dark Circus anyway."

Mystery settled back by the fire, smoothing her skirt over her legs, and folding her arms to rest her head upon. She was sitting rather close to the fire, but it was really the only way for her to feel warm; she was a vampire, after all. "... a twig and berries? Really? Wow, what an idiot," Mystery commented, her nose wrinkling in dislike. "I hope my dad is nice..."

But then Mystery smiled warmly across the flames at Fiona, "You can tell it however you like! As long at you're telling it, it will be a good story. It doesn't matter how you say it," the young girl said, settling down comfortably next to the flames.

Anonymous

'It's the same with Village Idiots, you'de be surprised how many rules there are.' Fiona said as she watched the girl curl up. Why didn't she just put some extra clothes on if she was that cold? 'Don't burn yourself.'

Fiona drew a deep breath, 'the first son of a Village Idiot will always be a Village idiot, and they are always a boy. My stupid father, Johnithen Fooolsfoot, somehow was foolish enough to have a girl.' She spat into the fire at the mention of her father.

'When the Village Idiots came to inspect me they thought I was a sick joke. They turned to leave but it started raining cats and dogs. Stupid creatures, why the hell would they want to do that. The fools turned back and looked me over again. Aparently they spent the day argueing about boys without winkys.

'The Idiots gave me a nice, normal name "Fiona"; they could change it if I was a Village Idiot. They decided to wait until the next child was born until making their decision then left riding monocycles - I'm sure you've seen them, one wheeled contraptions - and making a lot of racket. My mother always loved that story.

'Poppa Poopoo! I had my first puppet show at two years. It didn't have many words but a lot of doodoo noises and made all the kids laugh. Most wet themselves if I remember.' She accidently made a loud fart, it made her bounce slightly and she scowled. She reached for her rear and found it dry.

'About two and a half years later my brother Johnathan was born. He was clumsy but was no fool: there were no cats or dogs either.' Fiona sighed, 'He took after our mother, I after our father. Where he seemed good at lighting fires I seemed good at turning them to bouncing balls and having them chase me. The Village Idiots turned up a lot after that; it seemed I was never rid of them.'
Fiona stared into the fire, it was mocking her.

The fire took a life of its own, twisting colours and shames into two comical figures. She saw the puppets: Mrs Whoopie cushion and Poppa Poopoo dancing around in the fralmes, accusing eachother of doing a whoopsie. They began batting eachother with sticks and laughing in Fiona's own voice. She glared at the fire and waited for it to finish.

The story was too dry; no kid would ever fall for this. No wonder the fire had decided to take over. In some deep dark place a part of Fiona was yearning to make the story interesting, to act it out or use puppets. Her voice started taking on funny voices that she could not squash, 'The Idiots came back and often watched my brother and me play. They realised that I was the fool and my brother was nothing more than a mage and a mummy's boy. He still is, a mummy's boy that is.'

Anonymous

Mystery listened to the story with her ears tilted just slightly, to better catch the sound of Fiona's voice. Her eyes hovered just before shut as she shifted about a little now and then during the tale, trying to get more comfortable. Through the hole story she wore a dreamy look, a half smile to match her half-mast eyes. She was admittedly, afraid of reacting to something in the wrong way and upsetting Fiona. 'The poor girl,' Mystery thought, 'Must have been hard to be forced into something like that... plus, all the foolish things that keep happening to her...'

As the flames jumped to life Mystery sat up at attention, watching the flames with wide curious eyes. If she hadn't of known better, she would have wanted to touch the swirling shapes. She looked curiously at Fiona; strange magic really did seem to happen to her every other moment. She could not help but giggle at the funny voices, drawing up a hand to cover her mouth, her mismatched eyes glittering slightly in the fire-light.

"That's unfair... you shouldn't have to be a Fool if you don't want to be," she said, her smile falling just a little as she gave Fiona a sympathetic look.

Anonymous

Fiona glanced from the moving fire to the girl. She bit her lip in an attempt to sop herself from yelling at the girl again. The girl deserved some enjoyment, even if the fire was irritating her.

'And you shouldn't be sent off to find someone you don't want to. Do you even like being an acrobat?' Fiona snapped. It wasn't harsh, she just didn't like sympathy.

'When I was seven my father rushed home roaring loudly. I was accepted and would become an Idiot. He was so proud, he said he'd always known I would be a great Idiot, no matter that I was a weak female. I in turn was overly excited. He had dismissed me because of my sex. My brother was not as happy about it though and cried when I left. He didn't want his best friend leaving him.

'The halls of the Academy were high and covered in coloured mats. You've never seen mats like these. Their colours so bright, their characters so crazy. Often they were hung upside down ar at strange angles. The corridors too were confusing. Never let an Idiot design archetecture. The walls were at strange angles, the place was a maze and there were so many trick steps that it would deter even the most brave soldier. Nobody ever told the first years this. Many a first year broke bones in the first week.

'At night I remember that I had to sleep with the other sons. Nobody knew how to deal with a female so they didn't bother to educate the other sons. For the first few year I was teased and tricked, that is until they realised I was stronger than them,' Fiona smiled evilly. 'There is more than one son that won't breed.

'Most of them were jealous really, I was one of the top in my classes,' she sighed, 'my mother died when I was 12. It didn't hurt me that much. I was taken home for several months to look after my brother. He did most of the looking after, all I did was keep him sane. I would do tricks for him, tell him stories and even taught him how to do some himself. He was so proud when he showed our father that he could juggle fire.

'When I got back there was more of a problem; I had developed breasts. They weren't big but in a school full of boys, it got noticed. Being at the academy was nolonger fun,' Fiona scowled and hoped the girl understood her meaning. She was not going to explain herself. 'If it wasn't for Calim I probably wouldn't have finished my training.'

She looked up at the girl, 'have you heard of Calim? He's an excellent clown but he always talks in loon. He was born a few handkerchiefs short of a biscuit.'

Fiona smiled, Calim was her one and only friend and occasional lover. She didn't often go for guys but Calim was a neat freak. Unfortunatly he had been picked on for NOT hitting on Fiona in school.

'When I graduated I left and I'll never go back. They've captured me a couple of times, forced me to do shows and what not. Usually when a nobel asks for me they are looking for a funny peep show rather than an Idiot.'

She thought of her scepter. It had been bright blue with green and fushia decorations. 'Idiots love their scepter. I burnt my scepter and graduation suit and gave my cap to my brother. It's wouldn't surprise me if he still has it.'

'Promise me you will never be forced to do a show.'

Anonymous

Mystery fell quiet at the snappish question, deciding to wait to answer until Fiona was done speaking. The Academy sounded a little like the Dark Circus, she thought, accept for the fact that only men were supposed to be fools. All sorts of species, male and female, resided in the Dark Circus.

Mystery's ears wilted in sympathy for Fiona, she thought it must have been difficult for her, leaving her brother like that. On top of that, the death of her mother seemed to Mystery like a horrible thing, even if Fiona said it didn't hurt her much. Still, through the whole tale Mystery listened attentively, quietly, not wanting to interrupt or upset Fiona in any way. 'The poor woman,' she thought, looking down at the ground around the fire, drawing little patterns in the wet dirt with her fingertips. When she was asked about Calim she simply shook her head, long hair swaying gently across her bare shoulders. Truthfully, Mystery didn't know much at all of the world outside The Dark Circus.

"I understand why you'd burn them... didn't seem like the Fools gave you a very good time..." she murmured. Then, her ears perking up slightly, she added "Oh, uh... and to answer your question, yeah, I do like being an acrobat. I didn't always... I used to be scared of the tightropes, but now I love it," she seemed a little embarrassed of this, though. She seemed quite startled my Fiona's final words, her mismatched eyes widening before she looked away, an unsure smile on her face.

"I-I... I've not been forced to preform in years, really. No one ever has to force me anymore... I guess I just thought it was easier to do what I was told, then to fight back..." she shrugged, looking down at her own lap. "I don't mind most of the time... it makes people like me, when I preform. It makes them think I'm special... and that isn't a bad thing..."

Anonymous

'Special,' Fiona muttered. Fiona was special: specially gifted and specially female. The kid seemed sad, probably her treck was getting her down, 'get some sleep. It's going to be a long hike.'

Fiona would not be going on a boat for a long time. Too many ropes, too many seamen. Fiona curled up close to the girl and tried to throw her skirt over the girl, 'pull in tight, it will conserve wamth.'

Fiona closed her eyes and soon fell asleep.

Anonymous

Mystery nodded, feeling as if she hadn't slept in years (which was actually a realistic possibility). She curled up close to Fiona, her own body only as warm as the heat she got from the fire in spots, and cool as the air in others. Being a vampire, her body temperature mimicked the air.

"Thanks..." she murmured as she shuffled under the fabric of the skirt, giving Fiona a warm greatful smile. It wasn't long before she too fell into a deep sleep.

Anonymous

Fiona was dreaming in her own special way.

Fiona had come home after her mother's death. She was wearing her original costume, along with her scepter, bladder on a stick and cap. She and Calim were sitting by a brooke, talking in riddles and watching Johnathan attempt to juggle. She was leaning on Calim and smiling. His squishy body was tickled every time she moved her head. His laughter sounded as soft as raindrops and as clear as bells. He was talking about where they would go when they left, the places they would see and the royalty they would meet.

As always in her dreams, there was music sounding.
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine.

The sun went behind a cloud and an Idiot came over. Johnathan disappeared and Calim had a look of shock upon his face. he stood up in front of Fiona, she couldn't hear what he said but he was knock aside like a pansy in the wind. The Idiot came towards Fiona and pulled her to her feet.

The music changed:
All around the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey stopped to throw some rocks.
Pop! goes the weasel.

A penny for a spool of thread,
A penny for a needle.
That's the way the money goes.
Pop! goes the weasel.

Fiona was tied to a chair with her lips sewn shut. There was a strong red light shining in her eyes. She looked up to see a thousand Idiots glaring down at her with hateful eyes. She was at the Inquisition, she had been caught. The hair on her nape prickled up and she tried to turn away. She was bound tight facing the staring crowd. She was terrified, sweat was running down her face, and not because of the hot, red light.

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why, I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.

A man came over and looked at her, she closed her eyes as he touched a bruise on her face. He said something to the crowd that made them laugh. He clicked his fingers and the thread unwrapped. She scrambled off the chair and fell to the floor. She was ordered to juggle. She looked around but did not find any balls. Knowing how this worked she pulled three out of her top and began juggling. The balls caught on fire and she saw that the man had Johnathan's face. She looked down to see she was wearing little Mystery's costume. She panicked and dropped the balls.

The man peeled off his face and became one of the Idiots from the boat. He was the one with the swollen hand. He waved the hand at her and she screamed as he came over to her.

Fiona woke with a start. She was drenched in sweat and there were tears in her eyes. She decided to go for a walk then looked down at the girl, hopefully she was still asleep.

Edit: OOC: holy heck! Sorry it's so long!

Anonymous

OOC: No worries :D I don't mind long posts~

Because Mystery so seldom slept, she didn't very often dream. Because the Dark Circus was on a plane of exsistance all it's own, it never went through day and night. There was only night, and night never meant it was time to sleep, so she would often go the span of days and days, preforming without rest. She would have liked to rest, but what was more important was pleasing the ring master; he could make her life miserable, if he wasn't happy with her.

Another symptom born from her life in the circus was incredibly light sleeping. To many horrible things came for unsuspecting sleepers for her to sleep to heavily. As soon as Fiona jolted Mystery was awake. Forgetting where she was, she did an impressive back flip, landing neatly on her feet some yards away, looking panicked. Then, seeing it was only Fiona, Mystery relaxed, a slow embarrassed smile crossing her face.

"Sorry... I forgot where I was..." she noticed Fiona seemed distressed, and asked carefully "Er... you okay?"

Anonymous

Fiona shook her head, 'just a bad dream. I'm going for water. Do you need anything?'

She rubbed her eyes to remove the tears and stood up straight. She looked back to her normal self, controlling and cranky, 'go back to sleep.'

Anonymous

Mystery shook her head, "No... I'm okay." A worried frown curved her lips as she watched Fiona rub the tears from her face. "You sure you don't want me to come with you...? I mean, you look a little upset..." she chewed her bottom lip nervously, "Was it a really scary dream?"

Anonymous

Fiona glared at the girl for saying she was upset, 'I'm fine.'

'Come if you want, if you want to walk we might as well leave. I'm not going to get any more sleep for a while anyway.'

They would have to go offroad. The Idiots knew her well enough to know where she would go. Blast them!

Fiona shivered and sneezed. Nothing happened for a while and she looked around. Something always happened. Always.

Anonymous

"Bless you!" Mystery chimed with a smile after Fiona sneezed, picking herself up and shaking out her loose hair. She wouldn't bother Fiona if she didn't want to talk about why she was upset, but that didn't mean she wasn't concerned. "Uhm, we can leave now, I guess. Where are we going though?" she asked curiously.

Anonymous

'How much do you know of the world?' Fiona asked. She was wonderring if the girl knew the way around. Hopefully the girl would know enough to know where her mother might have gone.
She drew a tiny map in the snow. It showed the east coast of the world, the mountains and Hyoite, 'See this dot? We are here (she indicated Hyoite). The are three ways out of this place to the rest of the mainland. We will not go by ocean, boats hate me. That leaves the mountain pass and the coastal pass. The coastal pass is longer and the mountain pass is most used.

'If your mother is travelling with a troupe she would have gone along the mountain pass. The Idiots are more likely to go that way also. If she is trying to keep a low profile she would have taken the coastal route. Most people in hiding do. She would also take that way if she planned to go to Necromantia. Have you been to Necromantia much?'

Fiona hadn't gone there very often. It might be nice to go there and keep a low profile there, though the undead population made it a more hazardous place to live. She looked up from her drawing, 'which way would you prefer?' The only reason she had asked the girl was because either way was just as bad to Fiona, they may even send Idiots to both passes.

Anonymous

Mystery looked at the little map, committing it to memory. "I dont know much about this world, actually. I think I might have come here once before, but only once. See, the Dark Circus is this... giant drifting caravan that moves through everything. It is it's world, pretty much. I haven't been outside it in all my life," she confessed, sheepishly. "Sorry, I don't mean to be so useless," she huffed, annoyed with herself for not being more of an asset.

"My Mum would probably go the way least people would see her, so we should probably go that way," Mystery said, glad she at least knew enough about Princess to be able to safely assume that. "And she would travel alone, too."

Necromantia... the name sounded familliar. "Hmm... I think we did a show in that place once," she said. "Mum might be heading there... I think she'd want to go somewhere she wouldn't stand out. She's a full blooded Nosferatu..." Mystery chewed her bottom, a little nervous. "Do you know what those are?"

Anonymous

Fiona nodded and began walking. The sun set in the east so they would head past the Hyoite and follow the coast south. She said as much to the girl as she walked.

Fiona shrugged, 'I guess they are some type of vampire. Tell me about them, it will give me a better idea how to find her.'

Fiona had no idea hot to track someone, her expertise were in being tracked and keeping out of sight. She had an idea, 'do you want to meet Calim? He might have some idea.' How to get to Calim though. He was the first person the Idiots would visit. Hopefully they would not be too cruel to him. 'I have no idea how to get to him,' she admitted. He tended to keep a low profile.

OOC: she chewed her bottom? LOL. I'm guessing you mean bottom lip so I'm just teasing.

Anonymous

OOC: LOL I'm sorry xD *fails* should have read that over >_>;

Mystery trotted along at Fiona's side, idly adjusting her mask, one of her nervous habits. "Yeah, my mom is a vampire, a Nosferatu vampire to be exact. She's really tall, and really skinny. Like, starving to death kind of skinny. She's got grey skin and these yucky blue spots, and long sharkish teeth. Oh, and elf ears, like me!" as if to demonstrate, Mystery wiggled her long ears. "She's really grumpy, and doesnt like to be around people much. She's probably want to go to a place where she could blend in and not to noticed," she explained. At the mention of someone new, her ears perked with interest.

"Having some help would be really nice! If you can find him, I'd love to meet him..." Mystery gave a nervous laugh, "Geez, now we're looking for two people, and don't know where to find either of them! We don't have the best luck, huh?"

Anonymous

OOC: do you want calim to come along for a while?

'Then she would have gone to Necromantia, half their population is dead.'
Fiona stepped in a puddle and her shoes filled with water, 'curses!' She pulled off the shoe and shook out the water. Shame she didn't have any real boots to wear.

Fiona kept walking until they got to the coast then headed north. Where would Calim be? In an inn or pub near the docks probably. He tended to sing for his supper around the sailors, who would join in.

'Before you meet Calim, I should tell you that he doesn't speak the same way as us. It's almost like speaking in riddles without a punchline.'

Anonymous

"Do you think we should try and find a shop somewhere first? Looks like you could use some better shoes..." she said. Shifting her foot around in her boot, she managed to pull out a few gold coins. "Is this enough?"

Mystery smiled pleasantly, wiggling her feet in an odd way to get the coins she kept there to settle down again. "That's okay Fiona, I'm from the circus, remember? I'm used to people who act different."

OOC: sure, that would be cool! ^__^

Anonymous

'Very well then,' Fiona sighed. She didn't like taking money from a child but it was better then wearing small, wet shoes that would probably not last the hike to Necromantia, 'we should see Calim first though. It'll take a while until sun up.'

She scanned the streets for her friend, 'he has dark brown hair and a round face. His clothes will be unusually clean and he'll still have his ' Either that or he'd burnt his costume. Hopefully the guy had found a nice place to live since Fiona had been here last.