Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

· You watch them all day long, feel you dont belong · (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, June 15, 2008, 02:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[center:qtvuk8ll]Market day - for the Bloom women, it was synonymous with new things for them to show off at parties. Once a week, the Bloom women would dress their best and visit the vendors in the market. Well, at least two of the Bloom women looked forward to the day. Adelaide Bloom, the flower child of the Bloom Family, dreaded it. On more then one occasion she had begged, bribed and even went so far as to pout with Aunt Belinda to allow her to remain at home. But it seemed it just wasn't an option. Market Day for Adelaide was like enduring torture. Adelaide was a simple girl. She liked her simple world and her simple quiet. The market place was anything but simple and quiet.

Today, the Bloom women rode to town in style. The carriage drawn by 4 horses was meant to flaunt their status and for Belinda and Cecilia, that was what it was all about. "Oh, Addie, why do you have to be such a sour puss? Why have the means if you can't show it?" Cecilia's voice echoed in the cab of the carriage as they waited for the attendant to open the door and assist them out of the carriage. Adelaide simply shifted in her seat and looked out the window at the going ons of market. Her one solace, at least the market was outside. At least she would be getting fresh air. Think positive, she told herself.

Before she realized it, she was alone in the cab. They hadn't even waited on her... big surprise. Even the attendant had gone. Guess today, she was on her own. That gave her a private little smile as she climbed out of the carriage and slowly started her wandering around the market. Perhaps she would find something interesting today. It was breezy this morning. The cool wind brushed against her creamy white skin and she closed her blue eyes to enjoy it. If it hadn't been the the bustling market, it would have been something to revel in. Instead, it was a fleeting pleasure that was interrupted by a vendor.

"My dear, come, come... look at my wares. All the way from Adela these come. Perhaps, milady, would be interested in some jewels? This would suit, your highness well. It is a precious stones in a gold setting... would make milady shin more then she already does." Adelaide glanced at the object in his hand. Yes, it was beautiful. The bracelet gold with small earthy stones. Cecilia would call it simple and pointless. But Adelaide found it beautiful. She could already hear her sister frown with disappointment and give her a lesson on how to pick fine jewelry. Adelaide bit her lip lightly as she decided then gave a simple nod. "Milady should wear it now." With that, the old man gently took her hand and placed the bracelet on her wrist. Adelaide handed the man a few coins then nodded in thanks before walking on.

Her thin fingers played on the bracelet as she browsed through the stands and vendors. This was not her idea of amusement but at least she had her time alone. At least she could use this time to just be with herself. Adelaide was simple. She liked simple things. Her world revolved around the natural balance of nature. She enjoyed disappearing in to the forest and listening to the birds sing and the breeze ripple through the leaves. But once a week, she gave her Auntie the day to act like the normal Society Girl. But she just couldn't stand it anymore. It had been an hour, hadn't it? And Auntie Belinda and Cilia had left her to her own devices, hadn't they? She had made an effort, hadn't she? She had a bracelet to show for her day in the market. They couldn't say she hadn't tried. So, what kept her from slipping off and wandering around the abandoned grounds?

A soft smile graced her plump lips as she nonchalantly made her way towards the carriage. She slipped her white and gold heels from her feet and tossed them in to carriage. Who wanted to wear shoes on a run through the forest anyway? No one thats who! Addie gave her surroundings a glance to make sure neither Bloom women would be around to stop her before she sprinted off towards the empty field. When she was far enough away that the market sounds were only a faint whisper to her ears, she stopped. The silence was golden. The sound of the breeze was elating. This was what she wanted more then anything. She held her hands out to the sides and closed to hers just letting the breeze wash over her. It smelled so fresh and green. There was a thickness to the air like just before a rain. Her white silk and sheer gown flared and danced in the wind mingling with her now loose blonde hair. The flower child found her serenity...[/center:qtvuk8ll]

Lion

The small band of riders did not have to travel far from the grandly billowing fields and grounds that were Rhododendron, the estate from whence they came, to the outskirts of Arca.  They approached the city within a rapidly closing distance, the accelerated pace of their mounts kicking up clouds of the red dust that was Serendipity's soil.  One could see from a distance that the band consisted of three riders, two of which were many years senior than the youth that rode avant them.

The young man galloped atop the white gelding at a relaxed but quickened speed that conveyed the lust for life that the horse's young rider held evident in his magenta eyes.  The very sight of him emitted the air of a gentleman, a man of noble birth and conduct.  It showed in the clean and primped nature of his clothing: the glistening silk black double-breasted waistcoat, immaculate linen shirt, black buttoned cravat pleated in his favored "mailcoach" style, snug leather riding breeches and knee-length boots, complemented by the midnight hue of his riding jacket.  Of course his image wouldn't be complete without the glamorously crafted twin rapiers he carried at his sides on all outings; given the nature of their owner, the weapons were rightfully dubbed 'berserkers.'  He cut quite an elegant picture, but for all the refinery and dapper his attire imparted, the youth was not a gentleman; by least, not in the traditional sense.

Atriane Rathrane, the only son and rightful heir to MacConway Rathrane, had learned and accepted as graciously as possible the duties of a gentleman at an early age.  Despite this however, he did not fit into the mold as well as his burly man of a father had hoped.  Atriane preferred to do as he pleased whenever he pleased whether it was dueling, spending his father's money, or satisfying his own selfishness.  Albeit Atriane had a well-made head about him, laden in the inherent dark-brown locks of his father, and wore the mask of the gentleman well enough be convincing.  He carried himself respectfully, with strides that breathed of a man who was sure of himself; perhaps too much so for his twenty-six years.

He prided himself in his amicable demeanor when he socialized, courteous and charming, even as people naturally flocked to him.  But most especially was his arrogance present when he dueled, moving like the wind to best his opponents and doing so easily with the likes of his leanly constructed musculature and natural agility.  During regular activities even was his bravado present, but it was not sufficient to persuade him to perform stupid actions that he knew would only get him into trouble.  He flaunted himself sensibly, masculinely, but without the exaggerated machismo of most bachelors his age.

A smile spread like honey over Atriane's beardless, fair-skinned face as he pranced into town on his favorite horse, Gaetano.  Entering Arca's market district, perhaps the busiest sector the capital had to offer, he passed stalls and vendors who rose at the crack of dawn to make their living and soon an empty carriage that interested him none.  He and the riders that followed him on trusty steeds of their own, Argyle and Albrecht, strode in completely ignored by the passersby that bought with what gold they had.  It seemed that so often had Atriane rode into town the week before, people in this district had become accustomed to his presence.  That suited just him just fine as he found and hostler nearby and ordered his servants to dismount.  

"Get the supplies my father issued.  Meet back here in an hour or so.  Should you finish early, you are free to get a drink at a tavern if the notion pleases you.  I'll wander a bit," he voiced clearly and authoritatively.   He did as he said he would and walked the gelding through the crowd that parted respectfully before him as his servants disappeared in his wake.

He observed the crowd with a cynical grin, riding through on the great beast considering nothing of what he saw.  A few merchants called in his direction with various "Sir!"s and "My lord!"s, none of which Atriane paid any heed to.  He had been in this part of the city many times and each time it seemed different.  The people were the same that he knew but ever since that fateful event in which his father summoned him to his study...

"There is no altering my decision," his father had said dangerously.  "You either marry or you inherit nothing!"

He forced the memory from his mind.  But still its remnants were enough to make the youth screw his face in indignation like a child.  Where once a handsome smile graced his features, a grim glare had taken its place.  Married?!  The prospect was ludicrous!  How could MacConway do this to him, Atriane, his only son?  He was wont to loathe anything that held him down, that inhibited his freedom and it was for this reason that Atriane had avoided marriage whilst he could.  But he now he was cornered by the circumstances in which the burly and gruff man he called father had set upon him.  He would be deleted from the will should he refuse to marry and if he married, he would be trapped in a position where he would be obligated to a woman he probably would care nothing for.  Nonetheless, nothing would break his steel resolve to get what was rightfully his.

He remained buried in his thoughts as he steered through the edges of the market mechanically.  Little did he know he was leaving the market and entering a field, completely unfocused on the twirling woman that resided quite a distance from him.  It seemed Gaetano hadn't a clue as to what his rider was doing, but nonetheless he persisted safely onward, suspecting that this was where Atriane was intending on going.  When Atriane finally finished sulking, he pulled on the reins roughly, his head swiveling around him wildly and bewildered.  This wasn't the market!

Memory finally came screeching back in his mind when he looked over his shoulder and heard the distant noises of bargaining and haggling in the background.  Peering ahead of him now, he noticed the woman before him.  As she whirled with her arms spread, he couldn't help but cock an eyebrow at her in amusement.  His eyes flashed, humored, and couldn't help but observe her silently, suddenly intrigued by her quiet beauty.  Atriane exhibited a wry grin at her the entire time.

[I apologize for posting so late and for the length of my post.  My introductory posts tend to be lengthy.]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

[center:3n9wbfmi]Oh, she was somewhere else completely now. The flower child as Cecilia always called her found the wind. It was maddening to be stuck in her position. All she wanted was to be free. Free of the bonds of title and privilege. Free of the shackles that was being a woman. Free of the expectations and demands. And free of the Blooms market day. For just the few moments, as the cool summer breeze caressed her skin and ran its nimble fingers through her long blonde her, she was the only one in the world. So pure a moment for a girl who communed with nature. She listened as the birds talked and the leaves danced. Then she realized the time... surly they would be finished by now... Oh and there would be hell to pay if they found out about her little walk, in public no less.

Oh, hell to pay surly, she thought as her hands tangled in the silk and sheer white skirt and pulled it up just enough for her tiny feet to move without hinder. She moved a few yards then realized the eyes on her. It was an awkward feeling. To realize that even when out in the middle of no where, you were never alone. There was always someone watching. She glanced around the field nonchalantly trying to spot the voyeur and as if out of the mist, there he was. If Adelaide hadn't been above it, she would have gawked. But Adelaide wasn't that type of girl. Unlike all her companions, marriage wasn't high on the list of to-do's. Adelaide could never understand and grasp the art of "hooking a man". It was such a foreign idea. No, Adelaide wasn't lesbian. She was simply to busy to notice them. As it seemed, they were always to busy to notice her.

Now she was faced with one that sat arrogantly upon a tall gelding gawking at her. A thin brown brow arched skyward as her determined blue eyes met his. Later, she would regret saying anything to him and lets me honest, it was really only because he had intruded upon her time that she did. Adelaide wasn't a fighter nor was she bold at any rate. So, for her to speak seemed rather out of character. "Do you always watch maidens in that disrespectful manner, sir, or are you blind?" She knew he wasn't blind and if he told her he was, he was a liar. Because she knew something he didn't. Even if he had been, as soon as he got close to her, she would have passively healed him by mistake.

She dropped her skirt allowing it to drag the ground in a trail behind her as she took a few more steps towards him as those same questioning blue eyes held his gaze. Even if she was trying to be bold, her nerves were still close to the surface. Her fingers absently tangled in to the fabric of her dress and then with each other as she spoke again. "As I suspect it is the former, I must inform you, sir, that it is rude and rather frowned upon to spy on a Duchess and not announce your approach. Perhaps now you should redeem yourself and give yourself a proper introduction while you still have the opportunity." Even as the reprimand was given, it could hardly be called such a thing. Her voice was honey smooth and so delicate with a soft almost timid quality to it. It was barely above a whisper. Adelaide hardly ever spoke to anyone really, at least of the human species... This guy was already under her skin and he hadn't even said a word.

(Your post was really good. I like him. Adelaide, however, isnt so happy with him. = And sorry about this one being so short. I was running a bit low on muse and time.)[/center:3n9wbfmi]

Lion

His eyes danced in laughter at her words, even while his smile remained as it was.  A low rumble of light laughter escaped his throat as he examined what she said.  She, a Duchess?  She didn't appear as what she claimed to be.  For all, she appeared as more a serene and simple priestess in what she wore than how he perceived a duchess would present herself.  He was more accustomed to the great ruffled gowns displayed haughtily by ladies that giggled fitfully at jests everyone knew were terrible.  The decor, manner, and money spent on these gowns clearly announced that the wearers were women of rank.  In observing her own garb, he noticed that her dress, though beautiful, was not of the elaborate fashion he was used to and seemed to be made of lawn or something of the sheer variety.  But he thought nothing more of the matter and merely accepted for what it appeared as at face value.  He held no qualms in indulging her.

Instead, he focused on the way she intended to upbraid him for his intrusion.  Atriane could have scoffed at her attempt for the soft and simple way she spoke the words.  They might have had a better effect had they possessed the same fire and passion behind them like the person at whom the words were directed to had.  Having been a troublesome child, Atriane was quick to con that a bit of assertion behind a pack of words could create quite an impact.  Stern utterance was all that was required for his gentle mother to set her son straight.  No, the soft spoken manner which the words were delivered would have little effect on someone as passionate and vivacious as Atriane Rathrane.  Something in her gentle timidity even went so much as to irk him inwardly.

He met her gaze daringly, staring back with the same flaring curiosity that caused his magenta eyes to flash once more.  He steered Gaetano off to the side a tad as she neared him, readjusted his seat in the saddle and his footing in the stirrups before intending to reply.  "Be that as it may.  I care not if you be a duchess or the Viscount of Carrigan," he snapped sincerely, with just a bit of impudence.  He spoke truthfully, however rude he came off as, and held little love for Aloysius Champlane, the Viscount of Carrigan.  As a matter of fact, he had come to hate the viscount for all the contempt Aloysius held for him.  Just because his father was a mere baron did not excuse the fact that he too deserved the same respect.  He sighed to himself of the notion and had no intention to immolate the remains of his dignity in front of the lady.

Atriane widened his smile as he swung his leg over the side of the gelding and dismounted gracefully.  "But allow me to apologize for my conduct, however; I beseech you.  I am Lord Atriane Rathrane.  You need not be so vexed; I can assure you that I am gentleman."  He pulled himself up to full length, looking down as he towered over her by at least a full head.  "And whom, if I may ask," he finished respectfully, "do I have the honor of greeting on so fine a morning?"

[No problem with the length.  I enjoyed reading it.  I'm sorry she feels that way, but pretty soon Atriane won't be so happy either ;) ]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

She watched him through soft eyes. This was all Adelaide really could muster in anger. The delicate girl was far from fiery. Adelaide was the girl that understood in silence. She was the wallflower that listened and soothed but never spoke of it again. She wasn't a flirt nor a glamour girl. This girl did not belong in this world of money and power. She was in essence a fish out of water while in society. She fit the part of a druid priestess so much better. Why hadn't she been born to them? Why had fate thought to make a joke and leave the delicate girl here, immortal at that, in a world she couldn't understand and a world that would always shun her? This was the fish out of water, so alone, so desperate for her place in the world.

He was right about one thing, however. She was not the Duchess type. She dressed more in the style of a Greek Goddess in her simple flowing white silk and sheer lace bodice and skirt. But make no mistake, she wore no cheap fabric. The jewels on her arms, the gold chains on her hips and the necklace and head piece and hair ornaments were all true and pure gold. Though, it was not by her doing, Belinda Bloom had insisted upon it even when Adelaide had wanted nothing at all. She wore it as compromise. Because that was what the world was filled with. You give a little, you get a little. Perhaps he should consider this.

She saw the amusement in his eyes and the arrogance. She was amusing him... no. He was laughing at her. Sitting upon his proverbial and literal high horse, laughing at her with his condescending words and his disrespectful manner. He held no regards for her. She was nothing more then a nameless no one that got in his way. His words proved it. He was infuriating and she was embarrassed. There was no true outward signs of it, she swallowed hard and gently balled her fists to make sure no blush surfaced. But she was none the less. Oh yes, she should have just walked away. She now knows this. Why had she bothered? Perhaps to see if she could? Oh no, she was way over her head on this one and she desperately wanted an out. For once in her life, she wanted Cecilia to bust in with her nonsense so she could just pawn him off on her. They would be a good pair now that she thinks about it. He, the pompous and arrogant horse's behind and Cecilia, the gold digging Duchess want-to-be. They sounded perfect. Perhaps there would be a spring wedding. If only, for once she would come when she is wanted instead of when Addie just wanted to be left alone.

It seemed she was on her own. She gave him the once over. She was sure he was used to it. He seemed like the rich playboy type. So very used to getting his way in everything. No limits to what he could buy or ask for. Adelaide, however, didn't look at him the way other women were bound to. With the silent lust and desire that lurked just below the practiced innocence and the fake smiles. No, Adelaide looked him like he was snake. Something to be given a wide birth. Adelaide wasn't a fool. She knew a wolf when she saw one. She talked to enough to know one on sight. He was predatory even if he wasn't meaning to be. She would just be another bug that got in the way of his big picture.

Then it seemed the wolf found some sheep's clothing because as he dismounted and turned to her, he was full of apologies. Oh, no, scooter. Don't think honeyed words are getting you anywhere at all. She lifted her chin a fraction higher and set her jaw in defiance of his sudden "change" to play the part of a gentlemen. He was far from gentle and no amount of smooth talking would convince her otherwise. "No need for apologies. I'm sure it was an isolated incident in which you lost your senses momentarily." Fib, she thought, she just fibbed about it bothering her. Dear Goddesses, please don't let me turn out like one of them, was all she could think. "Your assurance will have to be enough then. I am Duchess Adelaide Loryna Bloom." She gave her full name and title, she wanted distance. As much distance from this conversation as she could get. Formality gave enough distance to give her a shred of comfort. She offered him her delicate hand, out of formality and nothing more, then curtseyed. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, my lord." Her voice was still soft and melodious even if she hadn't meant what she said. To be honest, at this point, she would have said anything if only she thought it would end the exchange sooner.

(You'll have to excuse my Addie... she has turned judgmental, it seems. It would seem she isn't a people person. =P)

Lion

She would find that there was little flaw in her evaluation of Atriane, with the exception of a few aspects, of course.  While he was the type to spend money how he liked, satiating his greed from jewels to horses and other forms of materialistic wealth, he was also one to take pleasure in the world he had created for himself.  He was also prideful in his appearance, taking care to dress according to the occasion and always wished to make a good first impression at least in costume where his deportment refused to do so.  Of course, he was both cynical and sarcastic about the details of his life that he would have routinely considered with bitter intellect and was cruel to those that he despised greatly or was too impatient for.  He sought contentment in the fruits of what his life had to offer and aspired for the greater things in life, hellbent on living his time through before he had to settle down and grow old.  This was the basis of Atriane; at least, what appeared to the naked eye.

And yet, there was a detail she dismissed to soon despite her accuracy.  The wolf within him.  True, he was nothing of the animal itself in the literal sense; he was merely a man who loved life and tried to enjoy it as thoroughly as possible and if he came off as predatory it was not his intentional doing.  Ever since that tragic night, his life was forever changed; the equilibrium of natures was eternally plagued with a third party.  The beast was never too far beneath the surface, communicating with him in menacing whispers, telling him what he ought to do, boiling his blood and working through his own cruel character, ever present.  Though Atriane managed to keep the animal in him contained, more successful in the day than by night, there were times when the beast became more than he could handle and thusly would transform into the creature itself.

It was through the wolf's doing that most of Atriane's negative aspects were enhanced, his temper was shorter as was his patience; he found himself acting strangely.  Of course this was not the end of the troubles, but there were a few positive bearings that came from being cursed.  He had a heightened resilience, greater sense of independence, and a better pain-tolerance.  But these additions amounted to little in comparison to what already resided in his average disposition.

Nonetheless, there were parts of Atriane that she was desperately wrong about.  While he liked to be in the company of people at social events, he more often than not preferred the company of himself or close friend to that of a fellow nobleman or woman.  There were several occasions in which a lady had taken the opportunity to place themselves on his arm and endured their flirtations and coquetry only because it was his duty as a gentleman to do so.  He was not one to lust after women or consider them a prize once caught.  This was one of the numerous reasons why he despised Aloysius, whom treated them as if they were objects instead equal.  Atriane enjoyed the company of a woman as a person, flirted because they were human and it was natural to do so, and considered them on balanced planes.  Yet he avoided marriage to one because it did not feel sincere in the way they threw themselves at him.  The scarcely concealed lust by which they set their eyes on him was of the wolf's doing, not his.  For the werewolf was a creature of the night and, like the legends of the vampire, emitted an aura of desire.  Sure, he was flattered by the action, but it nonetheless was a cause for much discomfort.

It would seem that Adelaide judged him almost to a T though he had spoken but a few sentences to her.  Now it was his turn to assess her.  Judging from what he had seen in her features, dress, manner, and words, Atriane assumed that she was a gentle lady, timid and subservient.  The very thought of these traits was enough to irritate Atriane to distraction even as he stood before her, for he had no taste for them.  The growing besetment was expressed in how he readjusted his grip on Gaetano's reins and reasserted it in a clenched fist.  While it seemed some men were drawn to the feigned gentility, timidity, and stupidity of a lady, he was not.  To him, gentility and timidity went hand in hand with contempt, for they arose feelings of pity in a man.  That it made him feel sorry that she was weak and could not care for herself and therefore caused him take the charge, appearing bold and gallant.  Such weakness, Atriane knew to be nonexistent in some and was merely a ploy to capture a man while in others it was more natural.  Either way, he disliked it in a woman either for it being a lie or for it being a detriment.  Subservience was perhaps the worst of them for it showed that she was willing to admit that she was not her man's equal and lived to serve him.  To Atriane, there was not strength or passion held behind any of these traits and represented surrender singularly; all together it was much worse.  On a lighter note, he did find strength in a woman a most admirable quality.

As he observed her actions as she spoke to him, the quiet and calming melody in her voice caused his smile to slowly fade.  But he collected his nerves and raised his eyebrows sincerely to her.  "A Bloom?  By the divine, I never thought I would be graced with the opportunity to meet a member of that name," he replied honestly, taking her hand as gentleman's instinct told him to do and pressed his lips to the sickeningly delicateness of her skin and letting go thusly.  Then, after bowing gracefully, he continued, "Aye, as I can concur.  The pleasure is all mine, Lady Bloom."  Little did he know how almost true his choices of words were at least on her part, though he said them half-heartedly.  He swallowed hard, careful not reveal how truly irritating he was finding her gentility at this moment.

"It seems an isolated moment was what grasped my attention, indeed.  I was not spying on you in any way; that I can assure you."  Atriane forced a smile, exquisitely executed.  "I must have been absorbed in my thoughts and, as foolish as I am, must have not been paying any attention to the direction my horse was going.  I was at the market only a short moment ago."  He pointed to the direction to his left then resumed his attention back to Adelaide.  "Still, I feel an apology is due, regardless of whether you will accept it or not."  Suddenly a light laugh escaped his throat, different from the one he had issued previously and his brows furrowed.  In genuine curiosity, he asked, "What is a Lady such as yourself doing out in a field all alone?  Correct me if I'm erred in my words, but I would think that you would have a royal guard to accompany you at all times."

[Lol.  That's entirely acceptable.  As a matter of fact, I perceived that she would be withdrawn, especially in the presence of someone like Atriane.  But no matter, he's just as irritated as she is.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Was she so transparent that he could read her so easily? Perhaps not as well as he had assumed. For all that Adelaide Bloom was, she was much more then just the quiet serene girl he happened upon. While in speech, yes she was not as bold and eloquent as others. Yes, it is true that she is always the last to really speak. But she considered herself lower then none. He was mistaking her shy, elusive nature with subservience. She wanted pity from no man least of all him. She needed no fool to play her gallant prince and she was no damsel in distress. She was not weak by any measure. She, this lovely serene girl, just wanted to be alone. She was no social butterfly, nor was to talkative to any extent. Perhaps that was her true weakness. She could listen but when it was time for words, she just didn't want to say them unless it meant something.

Her strengths came from her beliefs, her passions, her love of creatures, all of them even humanoids. Her strengths were not visible to the naked eye. You could not look upon her and make such a inaccurate judgment of her. For, no one knew what the girl could do. She was a druid; a shifter and healer. Whether it was healing ones soul or physical body, she had done so in the past. So very quietly. She simply listened and in silence allowed her talents to work. She, this delicate girl, was a living fountain of youth. Yes, she was gifted but so few thought to look. But she wouldn't have it any other way. She was content with herself. She was elated when alone outside where she felt most at home. Adelaide may have been no real beauty by the standards of society, but in nature she glowed.

So perhaps he thought what he saw was all that there was, but under the surface of the child, he missed all the things that Adelaide truly was and all the passion that everyone could not see her for. Though, she could not fault him for it. He simply could not see the forest for the trees as everyone else when in regards to Adelaide Bloom. It would seem Adelaide Bloom would only ever be the awkward Bloom girl that would never marry. And it would seem he had heard of her family. Perhaps there was still hope for him finding interest in Cecilia and Addie could simply disappear as she always did. Speaking of which, where in the name of the Goddesses, were they? Truly the Bloom women were amazing. The moment she wanted nothing more then to lay in the meadow to watch a storm roll in, they were upon her like scavengers on on a carcass. Now, when she so desperately wanted someone to interrupt this little conversation, they were no where to be found. Little did either Atriane or Adelaide know, Belinda Bloom was not far away watching the whole thing with hope and optimism.

It was his kiss upon her hand that jolted her. She had seen many introductions for Cecilia that included that move, but she herself hadn't experienced. Gentlemen rarely wasted their time speaking with a quiet girl when her scene stealing sister was around. She didn't envy Cecilia's social grace or her vivacious nature. Oh no, Cilia Bloom was a force of nature and that nature, Adelaide would never understand fully. So you can see why Adelaide had to try not to jerk her hand back quickly once he released it. Though, her defensive nature seemed to fade as she heard his explanation of how he had come to be out in the field and now in her company. And there was an undeniable ting of guilt in her stomach when he finished. "If you are to apologize, then I accept. Though, I must beg your forgiveness for being so brash in my condemnation of you for being out here." Her voice still that soft, delicate tone that he seemed to find irritating.

She offered a ghost of a smile, a smile, that to some, looked as though she were a million miles away. A royal guard to accompany her? He really did think her weak. She glanced at the gelding next to him. She reached out and let her fingertips trail over the horse's muzzle lightly before she turned back to Atriane. There was, for the first time amusement in those blues. Not at him, but from the question itself. Why had she no guard to accompany? Because no one ever approached Adelaide. In all her wanderings, she had never come across any that even glanced her way. And why was she out in the field alone? That is something she knew he wouldn't understand just as both Belinda and Cilia never understood. She gave him a soft, mysterious smile as her blue eyes meet his. There was mystery there. Something she wasn't going to tell him that lurked under the surface of the innocence. "I have never needed a guard, Lord Atriane. I am not as dainty as I appear. And as for me being alone in this field..." She paused for a moment before finishing it, her eyes focused out on the horizon. "I was enjoying the breeze, the calm before the storm." Her voice had changed. Not the tone, but more there was something else within it. It was no longer just quiet and soothing, there was something even she didn't know there. Perhaps he just got a fleeting glimpse to what was below the surface. She wondered if he would even register the difference...

(I kind of gave him a little glimpse of what she truly is at the end, to shake things up a bit. I didn't want him to find her straight boring and quiet all the time. I like him allot. This is going to get rather interesting. =P )

Lion

Atriane never made it readily known to anyone what it was that he sought in a woman.  He was taken with qualities that exuded strength or at least possessed some essence of the trait.  He was a great admirer of courage, curiosity, the pursuit of knowledge, boldness, and would find no trouble in holding an extensive regard for a girl who feared not to speak her mind.  As it was, he held respect for all women because he was reared to do so.  However, the level of respect each woman he encountered was awarded differed greatly.  Respect became one with admiration; the more he found he could respect a woman, the more likely he was to admire them.  He knew however, how difficult it was for some ladies to act in such ways at the risk of being ostracized; it was not "proper conduct" as some would say.

To put it in short, Atriane sought a woman traits similar to his own, passionate, bold, and intelligent.  He could not envision himself respecting a woman who was foolish for fools made him impatient and viper-tongued.  He could panegyrize frailty for such was detriment and was crushed by the strong.  He even loathed seeing too much subservience in a servant, despite their job.  Servants served, yes, but he would rather have them bear the spine enough to object to an order should they see proper reason to do so.  And most of all, the quality that would grind against his nerves the most, was dishonesty for it never assured whether one could be trusted.  Trust was what bound all relationships whether of friendship or treachery. But perhaps it made him something of a hypocrite to value honesty so strongly in others while he was not honest with himself.

"Though you had every right to be upset, you are forgiven."  Unknowingly, Atriane trained himself to examine others for these traits and, in doing so, sharpened his perception skills.  While he was unaware of the hidden nature of Adelaide, the one that rested just behind her delicate and halcyonic veneer, he was shrewd enough to notice a difference in her gaze that was nothing like what it was before.  Something in her eyes seemed almost...humored?  Yes, something about his words or perhaps him even amused her.  But it was not the brand of sardonic amusement that he had awarded her at first greeting.  No, there was a sense of serenity behind it, assurance.  The kind of peaceful merriment that Atriane experienced when watching his horses gallop carelessly in the paddock and fields or when he listened to beautiful music composition and took in the performance as a whole, letting it move him as was intended.  Yet, his exquisite smile faded as he returned her gaze, his brows furrowing in stupefaction.

When she stroked the gelding, who nickered softly in return, his attention briefly turned to the animal.  So suddenly then did pride swell in his chest as he looked at Gaetano with love in his eyes.  But it was not a conspicuous love that could easily be read, such love was concealed by how proud he was of his favorite horse.  If one were to try to guess through looking into his eyes they would only find pride.  For reasons known only to him, Atriane had loved horses ever since the first moment he had laid eyes on them and of them, Gaetano.  No one else knew the extent of the emotion or how strongly it could affect him.  And he made sure hardly anyone did.

Her voice brought him back to the real world and all thoughts on the gelding vanished.  Again she peered back into his eyes, this time with a certain mysterious air in them, as if she had something to hide.  Consequently, he felt a stirring in his blood and a raspy indistinguishable voice in the back of his mind.  He could not make out what it said, but his senses nonetheless alerted to him that it was the wolf.  The irritation he'd perceived earlier was suddenly simmering to a boil.  His flashed once more, even as a small, wry grin touched his lips, as he now was purely annoyed by her behavior.  He gulped down his lividness and smiled as if he understood exactly what she meant.  It was a breathtaking smile, however forced, showing a slightly softer side to him and was entirely feigned; in a deeply hidden part of his character he truly did understand what she meant even if he didn't feel it at the moment.

Atriane inhaled in preparation to reply when he heard his name from behind him.  "Lord Atriane, we're ready to depart, sir."  Turning swiftly to his left he saw the middle-aged form of Argyle on a chestnut colt.  Argyle was a tall, lean, red-headed man who had served the Rathranes since his adolescent years like his father before him and so forth and was at least fourteen years Atriane's senior.  He had a quiet disposition, spoke only when spoken to but was nonetheless MacConway's most trusted servant.  Atriane always considered the man as a friend and perhaps better than most of his aristocratic acquaintances.

"Aye."  Atriane nodded in acknowledgment and motioned toward Adelaide.  "Good sir, this be Lady Adelaide Bloom, a Duchess.  Milady, I introduced you to my valet Argyle, a very good and trustworthy fellow."  He laughed again lightheartedly as he always did when good company was around.  He kissed her hand again before finishing, "Well, it seems we must part ways now, good lady.  It was pleasant to have met you."  With that he mounted Gaetano once again as gracefully as he dismounted and, as he turned away, said in a consequential tone, "Perhaps we'll meet again.  Should fortune smile, perhaps we won't."  He then smiled and departed in the direction from whence he came.

Atriane's grin turned grim once again as he rode back to the market place, obviously troubled.  But regardless, he would deal with his irritation with Adelaide when they got back to Rhododendron.  Thankfully, Argyle sensed his young master's feelings and made no comment, merely nodding in understanding.

[It seems your plan worked.  Don't worry; he's just a little shaken up right now as I suppose it isn't easy being cursed and getting irritated at the same time.  Sorry for moving the scene too quickly, but I thought it might be interesting to see how each deals with their parent/guardian upon their return.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She had given him just the smallest glimpse of herself. Why? She couldn't say or couldn't admit it. She was to proud to admit she wanted one person in the world to know that she was more then just the shy, silent twin. She wanted someone to know that despite being that which she was, she was not just that. She had more to offer then her awkwardness in society. She was no simpleton, no damsel in distress for some man with a horse and a sword to come rescue. She wanted so desperately to prove that she was not as weak as they claimed. So desperate to prove she was worth a second look. But it seemed it was not to be. Yet again, she saw irritation now. Even if he had feigned his smile flawlessly. Adelaide was no fool. She did not have "born yesterday" tattooed on her. She was an observer. She had spent most of her life watching others, wanting to understand the complexities of the human behavior. She had watched his eyes light with a pride that others would mistake for pride of self. But Adelaide was sensitive. She knew what kind of relationships humans extended to their pets, livestock and creatures.

Yet she still saw irritation in his eyes that no matter the smile, he just couldn't hide from her watchful eye. Her soft features changed to confusion before she could swallow the reaction. She blinked a few times as if trying to process his reaction to her statement. What had she said wrong? The compulsion to know left her feeling raw inside. Why did she have that feeling? Why was there a stab that she couldn't admit to having when he looked at her that way? She managed to return the delicate smile after only giving the confusion a split second before burying it. It took her a moment to register his name being called and to shift her eyes from his to the valet that approached. With the interruption, all that she had allowed to surface was banished back down from where it came.

As introductions were given, she offered a polite smile and a silent nod though both were sincere even if he took them otherwise. She ignored his laugh but was once again jolted by him taking her hand to his lips. Her skin burned underneath and she recoiled her hand the moment he released it. She gave him the polite curtsey and a forced smile. "Farewell, Lord Atriane." It seemed those were all the words she could muster. With a pithy remark, he was gone. Oh yes, the man had left her unnerved and that very fact left her stunned. How had he managed that large feat? Rocking the foundation of hers. She was content with who she was and what she stood for. But for all her grace and serenity, she was still a woman. A woman that just couldn't find the understanding of the society in which she lived. And it was true, she watches them all day and feels she doesn't belong.

She was alone in the field once more. Left with her own thoughts and the feeling of being rubbed wrong. Why did it bother her so? She hadn't turned to watch him go. Why would she? She had no reason to. She simply, turned and went her separate way. Picking up her pace for a few yards in hopes of getting to the carriage before the other Blooms beat her there. As she arrived at the carriage, she found the cab empty and there was relief that washed over her. She wanted to be left alone and needed silence. Just to listen to her own thoughts for a while. But her thoughts wandered again to their less then friendly conversation. What had she done or said? Her thoughts were broken by the sound of her Aunt giving the driver instructions. "Oh, my dear, here you are. It seems we lost track of you. I figured you would be in here hiding as usual. No matter, Cilia and I found some of the most marvelous things." Adelaide gave a half-hearted smile as she answered. "You will have to show me when we arrive home, Auntie." Her voice was absent of it's usual tone and for some reason it caused Belinda to take a second look at her. Whatever she saw, she dismissed it quickly and went about her business of giving the attendants orders for how she would like her newly acquired goods handled.

The ride home was long and exhausting. Cecilia and Belinda babbled on about their day in the market and discussed the current gossip of the ladies in the kingdom. Adelaide stayed her usual quiet self. Watching the world pass her out of the window of the cab. How would it be to just fly away? Leave humans to themselves and remain in the wild... The thought gave her a ghost of a smile. She held her hand out of the window and let the wind filter through her fingers as she wiggled them slightly. She left the conversation at what it was. An arrogant aristocrat at his finest. When they arrived home, Adelaide slipped off again for a few hours to wander in the meadow outside of the manor before dinner. She settled in to the grass, her hands laying next to her head as she closed to her eyes. It was all she needed to just be. Feel the cool blades of grass on her pale skin. Listen to the sound of the breeze flicker through the trees. She lost track of time. Perhaps she had fallen in to a soft sleep. Either way, she opened her eyes to the sound of footsteps.

"Milady, the mistress has sent me to fetch you for dinner." The voice was from the house keeper, Byron. She took his hand as he offered it to help her up and he looped her hand to rest on his elbow. They walked back to the house that way. Byron was one of the few within the house that understood her, that would just let her be. He had always been there since she was little and he had always cared. They were simply kindred spirits. "How was you day in the market, milady? I hope not too dreadful." She wanted to mock Cecilia but she offered him a distant smile instead. "It was not too terrible, I suppose. Though, it is not my favorite place." This got a cracked smile from the old man, he patted her hand that was on his arm. "That is because milady is to special for the lot. The gods have better plans for you then just being a lady with a title. You just haven't found your path yet." She smiled and paused as they came to the door. "Thank you, Byron. For walking me home." He patted her hand once more and she went inside to dinner.

"Well, are you going to tell us who was the gentlemen that you were talking to all alone in the field or were you trying to hide it?" Cecilia's voice was mocking but the question was what startled Adelaide. Her head popped up, stunned. They had saw and not bothered to save her? Figures. "Oh, it was Lord Atriane Rathrane. He happened upon me in the field. We just had a brief conversation before his man-servant came to find him." Belinda perked up and glowed with gossip. "I heard dear Mr. Atriane is going to loose his father's money should he not marry soon. He seemed quite taken with our Adelaide from what I saw. Is there anything you want to tell us?" Taken? More like irritated and annoyed. Taken isn't exactly a word that she would have used. But Adelaide knew where this little conversation and decided to nip it in the bud before it got any farther. "Hardly taken. It was a simple introduction is all. Hardly anything all. He was arrogant." At this Belinda offered a motherly smile. "Well, dearest, thats how they all are." The next hour was spent listening to Belinda Bloom rattle off her theories on the man gender before Adelaide finally excused herself from the table and locked herself in her room and looked the quiet alone time in the dream world.

(kind of an awkward post... wasn't sure where to go with it and it didn't really come out well. Kind of made her seem desperate any way I wrote so yeah... this was the lesser of two evils.)

Lion

He could not precisely pinpoint what it was about the lady that made him so uneasy but it showed on his grimacing face the entire ride home.  Within a matter of a few short hours, the small band of riders had retreated away from the city with a voluminous cloud of dust in their wake and arrived at Rhododendron almost as quickly as they came.  They had taken a shorter path than the thicker public trail; a passage Atriane was familiar with taking so often when he was a teenager.  The sky above was so thick with clouds now it was a wonder that a torrent of rain did not plummet down on the earth.  And yet they remained.  Hanging in the balance of the horizon as if ever threatening: "Forget not that we have spared you once, lest you incur out wrath."  However, even as the dawn went down to day, so dreary a day at that, Atriane thought nothing on it and, instead, tried to subdue his vehemence with the memories and familiarity of the trail about them.

While there were many footpaths that led to the estate in which Atriane was born, the man himself having traversed them all, this one was the one in which he first rode Gaetano and was thrown off a number of times on the tough ground or a thorn bush before the gelding had grown accustomed to a rider atop him, especially a rider like Atriane.  Still, the path was as if he was walking down it for the first time.  It was secluded, far detached from the main road, and from it wild foliage was free to grow and flourish.  An umbrageous verdant colored the leaves of the untamed forest, even as florid and bright flowers bloomed daringly from the underbrush.  Even the blood colored berries that swelled in ripeness held some essence of the undomesticated bravery of surviving in the wild that could not be found in the bashfulness of farmed vegetation.  All was cultivated by none other than the mothering only nature could provide.  It was refreshing and held so many memories for the young man, by far his favored path.

Atriane said nothing the entire jaunt home, while Argyle chatted nonchalantly with Albrecht, and he was both half-listening and the other half of his senses enjoying the sights.  Upon their return, they were greeted by the hostlers of the stables of which obediently took the animals and led them to be brushed and fed.  He offered no specification with his own horses because he knew and trusted the stable hands enough to take care of the horses equally.

By now, Atriane had figured out what it was about the girl that troubled him so much.  What he saw from her outward appearance he knew he disliked immediately, for she was nothing that he thought he could admire.  Yes, what he could detect were traits that a gentleman ought to respect and admire in a lady for they were traits of what a lady was expected to be.  But it seemed the quantities were too high in someone as young as she.  No, he did not expect her to change, least of all for him, but he could not take another insufferable moment in her presence.

Before his valet had interrupted him he had caught a glimpse of something deeper, something which he could find no name for but disturbing nonetheless.  It was not a negative disturbance, though his outward signs did show that it was, because inside he could concur with her words, understood what she meant by the 'calm before the storm.'  Perhaps it was a memory that he'd forgotten, shoved away in the plethora of his subconscious.  But it seemed to stir the wolf into objecting the concept severely, boiling his blood, shifting his temper to rise.  Why would it cause the beast to do such a thing?  Whatever it was precisely to cause such feelings to arise, he knew it was not a good thing either way.  However, what he saw in her words triggered something of an interest in him; albeit a vague interest, it was what it was.

He shook his head of the notion and decided to postpone further thought on the subject until he had returned from his father's offices.  Atriane strode casually down the hall from the stables and down several corridors before he came upon the door to MacConway's private study.  The manor of the estate was notorious for its size, about as great a count's abode despite being a mere barony.  The castle itself had for main towers that faced separate directions and it was for these directions in which the towers earned their name; such as the North Tower got its name because it faced Connlaoth and the South Tower because it was faced to the south.  The towers were the basis for the building's structure, giving the manor an almost ancient facade.  But it was once a castle, and when it was purchased by Atriane's great-great-great grandfather so many generations ago, it retained its look in all that time and was only added to here and there.  While the towers governed without, a sprawling web-like infrastructure governed within: five stories high, at least sixty rooms, several hallways, dozens of staircases, fireplaces and other such aspects of a home.  And though it was large, it was homely and comfortable to live in, even more so when Atriane added to it.  He even went as far as taking the North Tower for his personal use.  In the end, it became more open and less defensive than how it was when first purchased.

Atriane knocked negligently on the thick maple door of MacConway's office.  When he heard the booming voice within in approval of entrance, he had little choice but to obey.  "You wanted to see me when I returned father?" he inquired with almost too much foolhardiness.

"Ah, yes.  Come in son," Lord Rathrane replied nonchalantly.  MacConway Rathrane was a short, powerfully built man whose presence mere presence could intimidate, but Atriane was accustomed to this part of his father and enjoyed that he could to him as one adult to another.  When standing, the master lost three full inches to his son, coming to full length at about five foot eight, but they resembled one another nonetheless with the same hair, nose, and lips except MacConway's eyes were hazel-green and he had a prominently dimpled chin.  For all this, he was a gentleman of the old school and had hoped Atriane would become the same way.  

Atriane took a seat in front of MacConway's desk which had an assortment of papers on it, one of which appeared as if he had just been writing on it.  "What are you doing?" he asked."

"Writing a letter of request, it's nothing of significance.  I wanted to speak to you about our conversation two weeks ago.  I'm not going avoid what I'm going to say by brining up worthless topics.  You're a man and so I'll speak thusly.  I have not been happy with your progress, my son.  It has been a substantial amount of time since I've made my demands known to you and yet I do not yet see a ring of engagement on your finger.  Tell me why this is."

Atriane's face screwed in surprise, but he must have known this was going to come one way or another.  "Father," he tried to say laughingly.  "I've not yet found the right girl."

"Don't give me that nonsense.  What does it matter the kind of girl you marry so long as she bears a title and is respectable.  I have seen you at banquets and balls and you are scarcely seen without a lady accompanying you, so don't try to excuse yourself by claiming that none would be willing.  There are plenty of good, gentle ladies to go around in this kingdom and why you haven't one of your own concerns me severely!"  Despite MacConway's gentlemanly character he had been prone to various bursts of bloodcurdling rage when the moment suited him.

Atriane was almost speechless.  What could he say to a man like his father?  But he mustered the effort.  "My lord, I-" was all me could manage before MacConway crushed him.

"I'm beginning to think that I cannot trust your judgment.  If you do not redouble your efforts I shall lose my patience and take action myself.  I will not accept failure.  You are dismissed."  With that MacConway went back to his writing of the letter and refused to say anymore.  This was a clear sign that the conversation was indeed over and Atriane had made an ass of his own defense.  As he departed silently, he felt fear grip his throat.  Dear gods!  What would MacConway do should he not be able to find a bride in time?  He feared the worst but decided it would be better to vent his anger with some experimentation of spells.  And so, Atriane's slim bitter figure, gripping the magnificent swirling hilts of his rapiers with silent rage, disappeared down the hall and towards his refuge in the North Tower.

[I rather enjoyed it.  I thought it was nicely done even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted to produce.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It had been weeks now. Three to be exact, since the morning in the field. Atriane had become a distance unpleasant memory that was forgotten. Life at Bloom manor was bustling as usual. It was early. The sun was barely peeking over the horizon when Betsey, the house maid came to wake Adelaide. The elderly lady, the wife of Byron, was a feisty woman for someone that made her living as a servant. Well, to be honest, none of the servants within the Bloom household were really servants. Belinda Bloom, social matriarch that she was, hide a terrible little secret. She paid them and paid them well. She employed them to do the work around the house. She found she got better help that way. And Betsey, though paid, was known for being one of the best housemaids in the kingdom. The woman could cook, clean, tend gardens and anything else that was required of her. Belinda had considered her one of her best finds ever and had made sure to treat the couple very well. "Wee one, get up now, da'lin." Her accent was thick and broken common filled the silence. Adelaide's eyes flickered open before she slowly rolled over on to her side, burying her face in to her down feather pillow. It was only a few minutes later did she open her eyes once more upon feeling Betsey's hands on her arm giving her a very soft shake. "Come, lovey. The mistress sent me to wake ya. It seems we are havin' important company this night. She's been runnin' all over gettin' ready for it. Up before the roosters. Won't tell a soul who, though. Strange."

Adelaide poked her head out from under the pastil pink quilt and lifted herself on to her elbows. She was half asleep and the woman was speaking a mile a minute. Betsey pulled up the curtains and let all the fresh daylight in at once. Addie blinked in defense and tried to rush her eyes in to adjusting quicker to the light. She was fuzzy and not quite understanding it. "What do you mean company? Like a party?" Her voice was husky and thick with sleep. She leaned to her right as she un-tucked her left hand to run her fingers through the blonde curls, getting them out of her face and under control. Betsey gazed at her and smiled. "No, lovey. We will be havin' guests to dine with this evenin'. Been long while since we 'ad anyone come here." She paused a moment before going on. "My, someday you are goin' make some man very 'appy to wake up to you." She smiled and reached her hand out to her, helped her from the bed. Adelaide just gave the usual polite, completely embarrassed smile before moving behind the dressing curtain to put in her robe.

"Curious... who are we having for dinner anyway?" She spoke as she peeked her head around the curtain to look at the woman now straightening her bed and tidying up her room. "Couldn't tell ya, love. Lady Belinda won't tell a soul. But it must be sumthin' though. Cause she got Lady Cecilia up this mornin' bright and early too. Tell 'er to start pickin' out what she goin' wear tonight." She turned and looked her Adelaide, her hands on her hips and sighed. "Come 'round here let me look at ya. She sighed again and walked over to the closet. "We goin' have to decide what gown ya be wearin' tonight. I need time to get the thing ready." Adelaide watched in silence as Betsey flipped through her gowns with less then excitement. Her mind was else where anyway. Betsey was babbling again on her gowns and what would be most appropriate. Why did the idea of dinner guests feel ominous?

The day drew on and it was mid afternoon before Adelaide could slip off in to her beloved spot in the meadow behind the fields of the manor. The house had gone mad. Belinda Bloom had gone mad with preparations for these "guests" that she won't speak about. Bloom manor was filled to the brim with the 50 servants and maids dashing about doing everything lined out by Belinda. The noise itself was mind numbing. She glanced back at the large manor as she reached the end of the field. Blue eyes scanned the old facade for a moment. It sat placidly amongst trees and had the house been silent perhaps she would not have minded sitting on her balcony for tea. But instead, she was wandering across the field and in to the forest.

Her meadow was her place. It was far from any signs of human life. There were not any trails or pathways to it nor any houses or fields. It was the perfect place for her to just be... The stream that ran down the edge was almost full now. She found a place there and let her bare feet play in the cool spring water. She lifted her pale blue skirt up to her knees as she waded around the calf high water. The spring was relaxing and calming. The rush of running water over rocks gave the light ambience to nature. Birds sang and the breeze in the leaves provided harmony. So many people missed this, this side of the world to often. The delicate balance of nature and the symphony it played was more beautiful then music from instruments could ever be. She settled on the bank of the stream. Her long delicate fingers playing with the blades of grass as she watched the life around her. It wasn't long before those fingers began to transform and draw up to form paws. Her body shifted in to a long sleek feline form and followed by the rest of her. By the time the transformation was complete, there sat a panther in what was once a girl. She prowled around the woods for the afternoon. Reveling in the the feeling of being one with nature. The instincts of the feline were coming out in her, predatory like stalk was taken on as she stalked the meadow amongst the trees.

It wasn't until she heard her name that she remembered what she was. Cecilia. Her voice echoed through the trees. She was coming here... She slipped from panther to her true form and met her at the mouth to the meadow. "Cilia! What are you doing out here?" She smiled with delight as if she was having a visitor to her realm. "Calm down, Eir. I just came out to tell you auntie was looking for you. It would in your best interest to make haste. She was not elated to hear you had slipped away. The guests will be here in two hours..." Her eyes glanced at the dress Adelaide had adorned herself with. A perfectly shaped brow arched high in judgment before she rolled her blue eyes. "Tell me you aren't planning on wearing that to dinner..." Adelaide sighed and walked on ahead. "No, Betsey picked out the white and gold gown that Belinda brought back from Connlaoth." This got another eye roll from Cecilia. "You know, Addie, you really should learn to be a girl. You will never marry acting like this. No man wants to marry someone that rolls in the dirt." Adelaide gave another sigh and picked up her pace. "I don't roll in the dirt. And marriage isn't high on my list of things to do. That is your style not mine." Cecilia gasped and grabbed her by the arm. "Aunt Belinda would surly die if she heard those words from your mouth. She has been trying to find a way to marry you off even if you dig your heels in." It was this time that Cecilia earned an eye roll from Adelaide. "I have no interest in marriage or anything to do with it. Why doesn't she find you someone? I am content being by myself." Cecilia looped her arm around her twins shoulder as they made their way back to the house. "Because, my dearest sister, she worries about you and not me. You see, I have suiters. You however, do not. So she worries." Adelaide sighed and entered the house.

"Oh! Adelaide! Go get dressed, my dear! Our guests will be arriving very soon." Belinda called from the other room as she watched Adelaide enter and head towards her room. Adelaide entered her room and went to the bathroom. She ran herself a hot bath and soaked till Betsey knocked to tell her to hurry that the guests would be arriving any minute. She climbed out of the bath and dried herself. She found her robe and wrapped it around herself before she sat down at her table. She added a splash of color here and there, all very nature to simply enhance her creamy skin and blue eyes. She curled her blonde hair and added various jewelry before she went to dress. She gazed at herself in the mirror as if trying to find any piece of herself in the reflection looking back at her. She glanced away when she could not. She was coming down the stairs when she heard voices in the study. It seemed the guests had already arrived. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Time to make an appearance. She turned the corner and entered the room...

(Sorry about length. I started to ramble there. Anyway, I figured it was a good way to end. Feel free to use Belinda as well. She a loud ole' bird. =P)

Lion

As usual, Atriane had not heeded to his father's warning, choosing rather to wonder negligently and carefree like a thoughtless child than to wonder of his fate.  Yes, the matter did worry him but he chose instead to enjoy what time he had before deciding to speak vows.  It did not take long for him to morph back into his renascent old self, good-natured and careless.  Under normal circumstances, he would have stressed over the subject for days, scheming in ways to get out of it.  Marriage, to Atriane, was hell only because it bound that which did not want to be bound.  The fact that some couples actually enjoyed marriage was a matter he thought nothing off nor understood.  "Well, good for them," he would have said with a nonchalant smile and twinkle of his eye.  Surely his parents had been happy before his mother's passing, that he could not deny but it was merely the prospect of being tied down for eternity that awakened feelings of objection.  Wedlock was too confining, too stifling, and too ideal, in his view.  True, he was not a lecher, but he was a hot-headed young man that needed to spread his wings in his freedom.  And so the weeks passed as silent as an assassin and as inconspicuous as a good liar in which Atriane paid heed to himself only.

During that time, Atriane endured his father's ever present hidden vigil while he resumed his usual activities.  He was visited several times by his dear cousin Aurora Sothaniel, honestly the only woman whose presence he did not object to for in many ways she was like him and yet retained her ladylike semblance.  She was klutzy and he found her entertaining and was as close as cousins could be without being brother and sister.  Many assumed such a thing in public, for they even resembled one another if only slightly.  Always she brought interesting pieces of gossip from about the kingdom, including an interesting piece concerning one Belinda Bloom.  "She's in a flustered daze and no one knows precisely why," she had uttered while stuffing her slim face with a sweet roll.  Atriane had met one Bloom already and did not want to hear about the flusters of another so he thought nothing of it.  He had received this news about a week preceding to this new and bright day, but again it registered no significance whatsoever.  He had not known what it was that his father had written the day that he had come back from the market but he would not allow himself to be bothered by his ignorance.  If it was important, the concept would make itself known to him on his own; this was something he knew without magic.

Atriane had awakened as he always did, just seconds before the first rays of dawn.  Despite being cursed with a nocturnal being, as long as the beast was satiated he would not transform.  There was many a time in which Atriane would change and spend almost the entire night in the thick woods that surrounded the Rathrane estate.  There was even that unfortunate incident involving the awful slaying of a passel of his own family's guards.  Only two died but even that was enough to weigh guilt on Atriane to redouble his efforts in controlling the wolf.  

As his lithe and leanly muscled form stretched out in the thick and tender down of his mattress he felt oddly energetic that day, as if something was going to happen.  His practice of sorcery, much to the dismay of his father, gave him astounding abilities but precognition was not one of them.  After forcing out the last layers of slumber from his eyes and body, he set out to prepare for the day.  As usual, breakfast was brought up to him by Argyle who was as red in the face as a cherry when out in the sun for too long.  Hm, it seemed his wife had been arguing with him again, Atriane thought rather blankly.  He dismissed the notion and ate quickly and quietly for though he did not have anything special planned he felt that he would rather be prepared should the moment arise.  The two spoke little as Atriane ate and directed what clothes he wanted Argyle to retrieve for him so that he could dress quickly.  "And the white waistcoat, too.  Thank you, sir.  I'll be able to draw my bath myself.  Thank you, nonetheless; you are dismissed."  Argyle bowed his carrot colored crown and departed the room.

After eating, he set the silver try on the empty bedside table and jumped out of bed.  He hung on one of the carved bedposts before sticking his head out of his wide window to gaze at the stables below to the far right.  There he saw, one of the hostlers stretching out the gelding's legs in exercises in the paddock.  "Gaetano!" Atriane cried out enthusiastically, arms flailing in the air and the sleeves of his large nightshirt flung down his sinewy arms.  He laughed excitedly when he heard the neighing reply of the horse as he stood on his hind legs and rapped his forelegs in the air.

The rest of the day went by in a blue in which Atriane had practiced fencing with one of the maids, read a few chapters of one of Joslynn James' most recent work, and rode Gaetano around the estate for while.  It wasn't until early afternoon that his father divulged to him that they would be departing Rhododendron within a few hours to another estate for a dinner.  "An invitation?" he questioned to himself, hating the feeling of the utter confusion MacConway had thrust upon his son.  "Why wasn't I notified?  And to think, I would normally learn of this beforehand."  Though it irked him and he was strangely curious as to where it was that they were going, he thought it best to put up no argument and figured that going someplace was better than being stuck in the manor for the rest of the day.

After bathing again, Atriane stood before his mirror, inspecting his physique.  He smiled in the vanity that came with being young and attractive and knowing it at the same time; his limbs were long and hardy, though not brawny like his father's, but tough just the same.  His legs were strong from years of horse riding, his arms were leanly structured with the quickness and guile attained from fencing, even his midsection was not lost in the power his limbs were with a flat chest and carved abdomen.  He was exceedingly proud of his body, and took great pains to make sure it stayed as it was even going so far as to maintain the light tan of his skin; not swarthy in any way like his father but not too pale.  There was subtle masculinity in his stance, not too overt and yet it was there ever lurking for one perceptive enough to spot it.  He stood casually, with his back straight and chest forward; it was a stance that was both authoritative and approachable.  Perfect for any occasion.

It took the entire two hours before departure for Atriane to prepare himself and for the household to prepare the carriage for takeoff.  There he stood before his mirror again, a dashing young aristocrat clad in a velvet double breasted frock coat of navy blue, a cleaned midnight silk waistcoat with a lion passant, the family emblem, embroidered on either breast, light blue linen shirt ruffled in the front as was intended with a black cravat securely around his neck.  His breeches were the same close fitting broadcloth material that was of popular fashion and his boots were so polished that it he could see his reflection in them.  After brushing back his dark brown waves into the proper hairstyle, he smiled at himself when he did find flaw in his appearance; even more so at the fact that there as not a stray hair on his head.  He tucked his grandfather's pocket watch into his waistcoat pocket, its golden chain glistening.

Then they were off.  With Cam at the reins, four fine chestnut horses carted off the polished black carriage that bore the same heraldic lion passant as Atriane's embroidered waistcoat.  There was a suspicious gleam in his father's eyes who sat across from him and it wasn't until he said, "The Bloom estate" did Atriane's brows furrow in wonderment.  Perhaps he meant another Bloom, his thoughts remained hopeful.  He didn't know what he would do if he had to meet that insufferable Adelaide girl again.  Still, his mind tried to comfort him, it's better than being stuck in the house.  He smiled a little at this and stared out the window, speaking to MacConway very little and enjoying the forest road that passed by them.

The hours seemed to melt by all too rapidly because before he knew it, a great mansion came into sight from round green hillock.  The carriage lurched to turn into the gravel driveway but stopped before the pathway to the entrance.  They were greeted by a tall, slender, silver-haired man that spoke in a gentle and generous voice.  Before he could say two words, the shrill voice of an excited older woman met them at the door.  "Oh, by the gods.  My dear Lord MacConway!  I'm so glad to have made your acquaintance.  Oh, please do come in.  I must say I have been looking forward to this meeting," Belinda Bloom called out with her plump arms and face outstretched in welcoming form.

"As am I," MacConway greeted in return, kissing her tiny hand.  She seemed only a few years his father's senior, who was well into his fifties.

The lady braced Atriane's hand in salutations before he could even react, "You must be Atriane!  Your father has told me all about you."

"Eh, thank you Lady Bloom."  He let a small smile spread upon his face in respect.

"Oh my, you're even more handsome in person!  Why, if I was thirty years younger—"

The rest of Lady Belinda Bloom's words were lost on Atriane when he took his attention off of her and to that of his surroundings.  He had always liked architecture and was interested in gazing at what this building had to offer.  She led them into the study, her short legs swinging to the union of the men's longer ones and pulled MacConway away for a moment to speak with him privately, his animal-white teeth glinting sharply against the swarthiness of his skin and he iron gray of his goatee.  Atriane busied himself by peering up at the room's rafters and around to the portraits of proper ladies and gentlemen and of landscapes that interested him little.  The furniture within was nice enough, tall backed chairs and smaller low ones with curved legs and a roaring fireplace in the middle of the biggest wall.  He had his back turned to the doorway from which they were led through and did not hear the small tapping of footsteps coming in their direction.  Only when his father called out his a name did he turn.  And who he saw made his breath catch in his throat, his face blank and eyes stunned.

[Alright, thanks.  I hope I did nice enough on her dialogue.  I didn't know what to do with her too much and tried to use Aunt Pittypat from Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind as a model for her except more open.  I left if open at the end for you to have her introduce Adelaide.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Her breath caught as she turned around the corner and laid eyes on the dinner guests. She was stunned, she reached out a hand to delicately rest it on the door frame. To anyone else, it would just seem like a shy pause as she waited to be noticed and introduced but for her, she needed support. Something to steady herself while her mind caught up with what was going on. What on earth was he doing here? And dear god, why hadn't Belinda told her? How could she be so cold to allow her to walk in on this without warning, without... preparation, for gods sake! How could she do such a thing! She wanted to scream or cry or something! What was this feeling? Panic. Thats what it was. She was panicking. Perhaps it wasn't all that bad. Perhaps they had simply stopped by and would leave... But reality sank in and she knew they would be staying for dinner...

Belinda turned just as she found a steadiness that would get her through the evening. "Oh, Adelaide! Come in and meet our guests!" Belinda was all smiles and warmth. She went to her side and took her hand almost pulling her over to MacConway and his son. "This handsome gentlemen is Lord MacConway Rathrane." Belinda spoke with good humor as she released Adelaide's hand and took a step back. Adelaide gave him a soft smile as she extended her hand curtseyed. MacConway took her hand and kissed it gently. Then she held her hand out towards Atriane. "And this young man is Lord Atriane, MacConway's son." Adelaide cut her eyes towards Atriane, a shapely brow arched ever so slightly before she looked back at Belinda giving her usual delicate smile. "No introduction is necessary, Aunt Belinda. Lord Atriane and I have already had the..." She paused only slightly as if to figure out what word would fit best in polite society. She supposed the blunt, I met the arrogant jerk and never wanted to see him again, would not fit in such a case. So she went with the simple. "...pleasure of an introduction a few weeks ago on our Market Day." She turned to him finally, her hand delicately extended towards him. "It is, however, nice to see you again. I do hope you have fared well these last few weeks." She didn't really care to wait for a reply as she glanced at Belinda then found a seat.

If she hadn't been so busy trying to be as curt as possible, she would have noticed Belinda watching them like a hawk. Belinda was smiling as if all the world was right and a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, at least to Adelaide she had no reason too. To Belinda, this was the day her ward became a woman and began her life with something new ahead of her. Belinda motioned towards the seats. "Please, sit. Everyone be comfortable. Our house is your house." With that, she took her favorite seat in the room. It wasn't but a few minutes later that the maid brought in drinks and offered each person a glass of wine. Belinda smiled with pride. "This is our vintage. My Jonathan, god rest him, started this from nothing. The man never was a proper gentlemen of society. Liked the earth more. This was his pride and joy, god rest him." Belinda seemed miles away as she took a drink. Adelaide offered a private smile at the story of her uncle. She had been so close with the man. He had fueled her love of nature as a child and she was devastated at his death. It seemed he had been one of the few people in her life that knew her and understood. Even guided her in her studies. She would not be what she was without him. And in the next few moments, she would wish he was here... to put an end to what was about to occur.

Belinda finally piped up. "Well, I suppose now is the best time for the news as any. Take care of this business before we have our dinner." Adelaide's head popped up, she eyed her aunt like she was a snake about to bite her. Why did she have that sinking feeling again? This news was ominous. There was a sudden tension in MacConway's and Belinda's faces. She shifted and forced a polite smile. "Perhaps we should wait on Cilia before you announce news. You know she would just die if she weren't here." Belinda glanced her way and smiled gently. "Cilia won't be joining us this evening. She wasn't feeling well. So we will just have to go on without her." Adelaide wanted to sigh. She wanted time before this news was announced and then it was out and her world crumbled to her feet... "At the request of Lord MacConway and myself, we have decided that Atriane and Adelaide are to be married at once." Belinda grinned as if she had just given the best news in the world to them.

Adelaide sat in silence for a moment, her fingertips pressed in to her lips in shock. She was stunned, blindsided. She couldn't wrap her mind around it. Had the words "married", her name and his been used in the same sentence? There was the panic. It rushed to her face as she blushed. She might've been sick. She wasn't sure but all she knew was that word and his name was somewhere even close to hers. She cut her eyes to him. Atriane Rathrane was be her lord... HER... Oh she for sure couldn't breathe. Her fingers on her left hand dug in to the arm of the chair. She looked to Belinda and the words fell out of her mouth before she could swallow them. "You can't be serious..." Belinda smiled and took her hand giving it a gentle pat. "I am very serious, my dear. I am old. I won't be here much longer. I must make sure you are taken care of. I can't wait on you forever. So, I was forced to take matters in to my hands to ensure you are provided for..." Adelaide offered a far away nod as she processed. This... this was not right... this can't be right... "Do not worry, little one. I have chosen well for you." She was shaking. Completely rocked to the core. "Well, this is exciting... Too exciting a news. I think I need a little fresh air." Her voice was blank and perhaps even a bit of sarcasm lingered below the surface. It was a good thing Belinda was to busy being happy to get rid of her to notice it. She stood, not exactly sure where she was going to find this fresh air but it sure as hell wasn't in the room with him as long as marriage was the word of the evening. She turned on her heels and headed for the door.

Lion

It seemed that in an instant Atriane had to remember to breathe for within a second he recollected himself.  He sucked in his breath and smiled vaguely, if only to comprehend for a moment just where he was and what he was doing.  His father dragged him here, miles away from home to present to him her?!  The thought stung him internally.  He had hoped against hope, beyond all possible thought, that the first time he had the misfortune to meet her would have been the last time.  What part of his being was so stupid to believe his father was talking about another Bloom during the carriage ride over here?  You impudent fool, Atriane cursed himself mentally.  But MacConway couldn't have known about their chance encounter in the field three weeks ago, because Atriane didn't tell him about it.  One thing that could be assured about this relationship between father and son was that nothing was told when no questions were asked.  MacConway respected his son's privacy as long as he did nothing that would sully him or himself.  He knew his son well enough to know that what Atriane did not talk about generally would be left unsaid.  And Atriane could not find the words to express the utter shock he was feeling right now at seeing the face of one of the most unbearable woman he had ever met.  Oh damn the gods, he thought savagely with impotent rage.  A small light of hope sparked in his heart that perhaps if he stayed calm he would be able to survive this night.

And seeing he was not a child that would cause a tantrum in the face of respectable company he straightened his posture.  Wordlessly he accepted Adelaide's hand, kissed it, and smiled with exaggerated politeness.  He nodded mechanically in compliance with her answer, though it wasn't what he would have said if he could have helped it.  "As it was, milady," was all that he could manage as he spoke laconically.  He knew that if he had to speak he must do so as his gentleman's teachings instructed him to for if he had to utter a word of his own true opinion he didn't know how he might insult such undeserving ladies.  If he were to lose himself even for a moment in their company he knew that, as Duchesses, his father wouldn't be able to present himself without being looked upon with indignant contempt and nor would he.  An insult to them would be an insult to MacConway, this in itself was obvious.  He would show face this night, be a gentleman as his father expected him to be but only for him and to get the event over with.

He quietly followed beside his father as the ladies led them a table to be seated.  It was a stout, square mahogany table, draped with a fine lawn covering and set with dinnerware already prepared for use.  He took his seat beside his father's side and across from Adelaide and anted his full attention upon the widowed speaker.

"And a fine vintage 'tis, too," MacConway answered smartly, raising his glass in honor of Belinda's husband.  Atriane cast a quick glance in his father's direction.  Instead, he concurred with his father's statement in insignificant assent, raising his glass as well before taking a sip.  The sting and sweetness of good liquor washing down his throat brought some glee back into his eyes and his smile was genuine as he turned his attention back to Belinda.

"Too bad, that she must miss this event.  I wish her my best," MacConway spoke before allowing the hostess to continue on. It seemed he was doing all the talking this evening.  If he played it well enough, perhaps MacConway would save him from having to speak at all.  But all Atriane could wonder was: Who the hell was Cilia?  He assumed her to be another Bloom from the way they spoke about her as if she were apart of the family.  Still, if she was anything like Adelaide he didn't know how long he would be able to contain his agony.

Then suddenly the room fell very quiet.  Or at least that was how Atriane perceived it when he heard something that sounded like: "At the request of Lord MacConway and myself, we have decided that Atriane and Adelaide are to be married at once."  He blinked stupidly.  Was he hearing this right?  But alas he was and it was like a bomb had gone off inside of next him, deafening him to the conversation outside his realm of thought, hearing only the roaring in his ears from the torrent of emotion swirling within.  Finally, as the clouds cleared, it dawned on him.  His face remained apathetic in contrast to the flurry of thoughts that ran rampant in his mind like a band of wild horses.  Married...  Married?  Married!  The dreadful day had come when he had to hear the word he loathed so much.  And to a girl like Adelaide no less.

His thoughts quieted for a moment when quite suddenly, as he looked from her to his father, he felt like a commodity.  When first his father had told him that he had to wed he had managed to persuade him to allow him to choose his own bride, but now his father went behind his back and arranged a marriage—Against his wishes!  He felt anger rise up in him, fear, shock and other emotions at the thought of an honorable man like MacConway to use his son the way he did.  He felt cheap, used, devastated, and, moreover, betrayed.  Somehow, however, apart of him had seen this coming.  He had, after all, abused his father's kindness and patience until he eventually ran out of it.  So of course, he would revert to his only option left, arranged marriage.  MacConway knew that Atriane would object but he would rather have his son wed without a fight than omitted from the will.  The love he held for his insolent and selfish son was great enough that he did not want to see him lose all he loved.  He was practical enough, however, to take necessary measures, no matter how drastic.  Well, you did bring this upon yourself, Atriane's conscience told him casually.

After a short moment of reconciliation with himself, he looked at MacConway whose bronze face was beaming with pride at having made so good a match.  He would have to talk with him later.  Then he glanced at Adelaide and noticed how deeply she flushed.  His perception could sense that something was at turmoil within her, in contrast with her usually tranquil outlook.  He was almost at a loss for words but thankfully his eloquent tongue rescued him just in time as he watched her depart the room, "I'm flattered.  Truly, I am.  Eh, how soon will the wedding be?"  He spoke slowly and carefully, perturbed slightly at the amount of excitement in the air.

"Within the week," MacConway answered though Atriane had directed his question to Lady Bloom.  "All the arrangements have been made.  Though an exact date has not been set.  It is quite possible that it might be tomorrow or the day after."

"Oh yes!" she exclaimed.  "The sooner the bett—."  She was cut short when Atriane asked to be excused from the table.  With a quick nod, she dismissed him and resumed her conversation with MacConway.

He had a feeling that the dislike for one another was mutual even as he disappeared from the room and followed Adelaide's path.  The heightened senses of the wolf allowed him to pick up her scent and follow her to the cool brisk air of the outdoors.  For reasons unknown to him he felt a need to both confront her and console her, should the need arise, and make her understand the situation a little better.  Though the situation itself did not need much explanation, that he was aware of, it seemed it did to him for his sake.  To perhaps regain a smidgen of his sanity and perhaps to make an effort to get to know her better.  When he saw her, he recalled how she had reacted when they first met.  He made his presence known by clearing his throat rather harshly and saying, "Forgive me for my intrusion, good lady."  He stepped forward from the warm of the manor and felt the night air touch the smoothness of his face and the feeling made him smile.  He knew his question was foolish and rather presumptuous, but he needed to release it before it backed up on him in other ways.  "Did you know about this?"  It was not a question conveyed in anger or the frustration he had previously felt but of genuine puzzlement.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

For once in her life, she could not center herself. She could not find a place of calm. Her nerves were shot and she was shaking. Her hands, her body, her mind... she couldn't control it. If she could have, she would have ran. Ran to anywhere, ran to no where. It didn't matter where. She just wanted away. Anywhere but here. Anywhere but at a dinner table with that man. Anywhere without the word marriage and his name within the same thought as hers. What had Belinda been thinking? How, in gods name, could she think he was her match? How could she sit there at that table look her in the eye and tell her she had chose well for her? The man was nothing like her. He was an aristocrat. He liked parties, money, and show. He strives after vanity. Adelaide was nothing like that. She was no aristocrat. She hated parties and people. For god's sake, she was hardly around anyone. She wanted her peace. She was more like Jonathan in her ways. Soft and gentle. She loved the earth and spent more time with it then humans. Atriane would and could not ever understand that. Why him was all she could think...

The icy chill of night hit her hard. It was so refreshing against her flushed face. She couldn't pick an emotion. There was not just one to settle on. So many welled up within her. She wandered out the door and leaned haphazardly against the pillar of the porch. At first she wanted to cry. No one would blame her, would they? But she couldn't bring herself to. It was so cliche. So, she settled for slipping down the pillar and sitting on the step. She pulled her knees to her chest and rested her chin there while wrapping her arms around her legs. What was she going to do? How can I survive this one? She loathed him with all her being. That was something she knew for sure. Belinda always said differences are what makes someone compliment you. Adelaide didn't believe this would ever be the case. How could she ever be an appropriate mate for him? She was so far on the other end of the spectrum. And suddenly, she felt pity for him. Why, she couldn't say. She was thinking of herself in all of this. He would be saddled with a girl completely different. And that apparently irritated him. She hoped to the gods he wasn't immortal... otherwise, it just got more grim.

She was lost in thought when she heard foot steps coming towards the door. She quickly got to her feet and straightened her gown and hair. Please, gods, don't let it be him. Let it be Cilia, or Belinda or hell, even MacConway would be better then it being him. But still, her luck hadn't changed. Even before he cleared his throat she knew it was him. He spoke but she wasn't paying enough attention to listen to him. But it was his question that caught her attention. She turned around to look at him. Her blue eyes met his gaze for a moment, considering his question for a moment. Had she known? No. Had she suspected something was up? Oh, yes. What could she say? What should she say? She shook her head after a minute and turned her back to him once more. Focusing once more in to the darkness of the night. It was a full moon out and her desire to slip away were agony to control. She wanted to be anywhere but here. "It would be foolish of me to ask if you did. I already know the answer to that." There was nothing in her voice. All her grace, serenity and softness had gone. She was left feeling raw. She hurt as if a she had been stabbed with a hot blade. It was her soul that was pained and bruised.

She turned to him once more, looking at him for a long minute before reaching out her hand and taking his. "Come with me." She knew the conversation they must have. She glanced through the door to see if anyone was lurking before she led him towards her meadow. Her spot. She needed it. She wanted the calm, soothing place for what was to be said. She kept his hand in hers even if it felt awkward and instinct told her to drop it and let him find his own way. She took him through the night, navigating the edges of the field and in to the forest. All the while she said nothing. He would simply have to trust her. She stepped in to the trees and after a few minutes, they arrived in the meadow. It was so beautiful this time of night. The full moon reflecting on the stream, giving off just enough light to see. She didn't look at him when she let go of his hand. She was focused on the moon, collecting her thoughts. What to say? "This is where I come to just be. Though I doubt you will understand that." She wanted to be angry. But she just couldn't find it. She wanted to yell and scream at him. It just wasn't there. She still was at a loss of emotion and thought.

Finally, she turned to look at him. She was making an effort. She didn't know why she was treading so lightly and why she said what she said. But instinct and nature always came first with her. Her instinct was to nurture, to heal. And even if she was just as raw and hurt, so too was he. "I am not your match... nor will I ever be. I am sorry I was who was chosen for you. It is rather obvious how you regard me and I understand that. And no, I had nothing to do with their choice as you did not. I suspect Belinda has been chattering on to everyone who had a son ready to wed. You just happened to be the most unlucky of them." Her voice was soft and soothing, filled with an understanding that she did not expect in return from him. But there was no calm there. Even if the words were just above a whisper, there was blunt honesty. She gave him an understanding smile. "I do not blame you for being upset. I understand it. I am content being here, alone. I am not a socialite. I got the title I do not care for by birth and have never given it a thought. I like things simple. I am a druid, a healer. This is where I want to be." She looked around the meadow with something that resembled love stirring under the surface before she looked back at him. "I do not expect you to understand nor to care what I have told you. Yet, you should know. And if this actually turns in to vows, then I suppose all I can say is I will try not to embarrass you." She gave him another smile, she was trying to be humorous. She turned away again, her eyes focusing off in the distance as she drifted once more in to thought. It still baffled her that she had put his feelings first. Why was, yet again, all she could think...

(She handled it allot better then I thought she would. =P My Adelaide, always the care giver.)

Lion

If one thing could be said for certain about Atriane, it was that he was an adamant advocate of change.  Change, the only constant and guarantee in the universe, was what made the world go round in his view.  Whether it was change for the better or for the worse.  Change was the concept that led to the world's innovations, fueled passions, made kingdoms rise and fall, industrialization, life, death, creation, revolution, destruction--evolution.  Where one being triggered a reaction, all that were attached to that being in some way were affected as well.  Change, or rather evolution as Atriane preferred to call it, was the base of which all life existed and revolved around.  All were susceptible to it and none could avoid it.  He was even willing to admit that even a sly and passionate creature like himself was vulnerable to it.

He had come to rely on this idea, always looking for the next new and exciting endeavor he could experience.  And even as he disliked the concept of marriage, avoided it while he could, he couldn't help but admit that he was still curious as to what marriage was like.  And it was with the same curiosity that he regarded the concept that he pondered as to where Adelaide was dragging him.  It was an indisputable truth that her mannerisms irritated him, but not her presence precisely.  It was merely the way that she conducted herself that wasn't to his liking.  To be utterly honest, he really knew so little about her that it would be exceedingly difficult for him to hate her.  No, he did not hate her; he merely hated how her presence disturbed him so and that seemed to have inconspicuously stemmed to the concept that her presence was unbearable.  He simply could not envision the rest of his existence being married to someone who could have such an effect on him.  But, in remembering the last seconds of their first meeting, there was something that nabbed his attention, something in her words that interested him.  He still couldn't pinpoint what it was that did so, but it astounded him anyway.  In the three weeks between then and now, he hadn't forgotten about it.

He allowed himself to be led to the meadow and for some reason his brows furrowed in amused curiosity.  His feet slumping along the uneven ground made him feel like a cumbersome giant, especially in how taller he was than her.  But the night was beautiful.  The star-studded sky flashed down on them like a million tiny torches.  In peering up the full moon as she did when she released her grasp on his hand, he thanked the heavens and any other divine being he occasionally gave regard to that the werewolf that lurked within his being was one of magic and not of blood or else he would have surely lost control.  His attention turned to her as she spoke.  He stuffed his hands deeply into the pockets of his breeches and leaned his weight against the trunk of a small tree beside him rather negligently.  A word did not pass his lips as he listened like a fox would for a predator to her words.  While the words registered his eyes moved about her place of peace.  Everything about it was serene, the same nature that inhabited the forests surrounding Rhododendron but a different sense of nature.  The stream triggered thoughts while the quietness of the meadow summoned others.  Memories of his mother, of when he was a child, of when he was growing up and the dreams he had during the process.   And when she finished, a small smile touched his lips and he laughed suddenly.  It was not a laugh filled with the mockery of their first meeting but a genuinely amused laugh, the kind of laugh a person would ring out when something they thought funny came across their minds and simply couldn't help belting it out, even if they were the type of person who didn't laugh much at all.

He was not directing his laughter at her or her words, for there was truth in them and he valued truth.  But merely at the thought of the situation they were in.  Neither of them had wished to be where they were now, yet there they were.  He smiled in good humor at her when he stopped laughing and his eyes twinkled with understanding.  Apart of what drew people naturally to Atriane was that he was a very easy person to talk too.  His presence was neither too overbearing nor too meek for most, though some didn't like him, true, but it wasn't his fault, he claimed.  Finally, after a long pause, he spoke in a sympathetic tone, "I wouldn't consider myself too unlucky, milady.  You've got your ups I'm sure.  I've just been too stupid to see them."  He moved away from the tree and stood beside her, looking down at the stream before continuing on.

"I appreciate you being honest with me.  It's not often I come across a lady who is and, frankly, I respect you for being honest.  Saves me a lot of trouble in the end.  Listen, since we're being honest, I'm sure you don't like me anymore than I like you, don't want to marry me anymore than I want to marry you, or want to be married for that fact.  But I'm also sure that you love your family as much as I love my father, and in this love I honor him and his wishes.  I respect the fact that he had to take matters into his own hands since I would not."  He bent down, resting his elbows on his thighs and continued to rest vigilance on the flowing, glistening stream.  Sighing deeply, he persisted.  "I don't hate you, if that's what you think.  To be honest, I don't really know that much about you to hate.  We're simply different; you have all the serenity in life that I lack.  I have no taste for timidity, too much gentility, or subservience."  He made a gesture toward the meadow around him.  "I've always liked nature, too.  But I love nature when it is raw and audacious. I love nature in its purest form, not necessarily when it is too quiet.  Such silence is enough to bring about madness.  In my judgment, you are this stream, small, quiet and flowing while I am the raging river, and just as wild."  Atriane fingered the water for a moment and plucked a blade of grass from the bank.  

"We may not have been made for each other and I may believe that happiness can only be achieved when two beings are alike in some way.  Despite this, our paths have cross for a reason."  He then stood and approached her, fingering the blade of grass in his hands.  He looked at her in her eyes as he spoke, the passion of living showing in them like a candle in the darkness, "And even though you say you don't like nor want the life you were born into, you have a duty to uphold even if you severely detest it.  As do I.  In honor of my father, I will swallow my pride and perform my duty and marry you, as you should do as well.  Sure, you could run away, but such is cowardice.  While the traits I've detected in you were not to my liking, I don't see a coward when I look at you and I respect your bravery for taking the time to speak with me.  And, who knows, maybe marriage will be fun."

With that he smiled and held the grass with one hand while covering it with the other.  In an instant, a small blue, flash of light emitted from his hands.  Atriane felt the magic of his learnings surge through his fingertips in the form of miniscule sparks of electricity and into the grass blade.  Turning his wrists over to her, he revealed a thornless rose in his hands, its crimson petals glittering with water droplets in the beautiful moonlight.  He smiled wryly at her, handing her the rose.  "Come, on.  We should return to the house or we will be missed."  He motioned toward the path they came on and moved a few feet forward before twirling around and observing her quietly in the moonlight.  There it is again, he thought quirking his dark brows.  His magenta eyes, swirling in mysticism, scanned her form quickly then he spoke wryly, "Just so you know, I'm not the type who is easily embarrassed.  And again, I thank you for your honesty.  You don't know how much I respect a woman who is."  His eyes twinkled again for a moment before he realized what he was saying.  Apart of him was confused as to why he had said it.  Maybe he just needed her to hear it, put some ease to how much she detested him.  He didn't know what effect his words would have and he hardly cared to think about it.  Instead, he motioned back towards the manor and took her hand, tugging it gently to set them back into motion.

[As ever, Atriane talks way more than he's asked.  I knew he'd come around eventually though, stubborn bastard that he is.  Sorry for the lateness, too.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part." She had been to many weddings in her life. Never had she thought the next one would be hers. The wedding vows were playing in the back of her mind as she listened to him speak. She was as stunned by his words and by his gesture with the rose. He spoke of duty, respect and love and for all those reasons, he would swallow his pride and marry her. But it was the last part of the vows that she was thinking of, "to love and to cherish", and somehow she wasn't sure if duty and respect for ones guardian should really be the deciding factor. Duty wasn't enough for her. No, he was right, she was no coward. But something died just a little bit inside her at the thought of marrying because of duty. Secretly, Adelaide was like every other girl in this world. She wanted someone to love and she wanted to be loved by that someone. She didn't want to say those words to a man she felt nothing for but perhaps respect.

And that was true. She did respect him. She was questioning her own judgment of him. Perhaps she was to quick to cast that stone. But still, she couldn't deny the dull burn deep in her heart. Deep inside, she was a hopeless romantic even if she would never come clean to being so. She had pictured this day different. For the first part, it would not have included the announcement being give over drinks at cocktail hour. And it wouldn't have been announced without her doing the announcing. She also figured that when she was to marry, she would be the second to know. First being the man that knew he was going to ask her. Not the grooms father and her guardian. It lacked all things beautiful. And some how that hurt too. Something that should have been special, was turned in to "good news" at cocktail hour. She would never voice these things to anyone, least of all Atirane. She would let this sink somewhere below, perhaps the same place the death of her parents and of Jonathan was kept. For this reason, she would grin yet again and bear it.

She twirled the rose in her fingers, watching the petals ruffle up with each turn. She gave a soft smile looking at it then glanced towards the middle of the meadow. By this time, she felt his hand take hers and give her a tug to return. She shook her head. "Just a moment..." She took a few steps away from him and kneeled. She stuck the end of the flower in the soft, moist soil before touching the bloom. The rose began to glow an luminescent gold then sprouted new shoots and roots began to dig deep in to the soil. Each new shoot developed a small golden tinged white bud. She gave a bigger smile as she shifted to her feet and looked down at the small rose bush. "This will be our rose bush." She glanced at him, giving him a humored smile. "A reminder that I will try not to embarrass you and you will not embarrass easily."

She closed the gap once more between them, her hand slipping back in to his. The awkwardness that it had felt previously wasn't so pronounced. Perhaps with practice and a little time, it would feel right. She followed his guiding back towards the manor. "Just so you know, I appreciate your candor as well. I don't dislike you or hate you at all. I respect you and I believe I misjudged you." She glanced up at him. In a weeks time, they would say "I do" and that was frightened her more then anything in the world. Not because it was him specifically. Because her whole entire life would change and suddenly revolve around another person. This person. This man who suddenly had found something in her that was respectable and not all bad. She wondered how their future looked from above. Perhaps he was right about their paths crossing for a reason. She simply could not see the forest for the trees. What was the reason?

Then she realized it. Yin-Yang. It made her grin. Balance. This relationship would be balance. It was that simple. Perhaps Belinda was not off in her pick. "two mutually correlated opposites..." She muttered it softly, repeating the words Jonathan had once read to her before glancing up at him again. "That is what we are. Yin-Yang. There was an ancient civilization that believed in, Yin, the soft, gentle, tranquil, night and Yang, the hot, restless, excitement, day. They are opposing like winter and summer. But rooted, two making one, winter plus summer make a whole year. Perhaps they were not so far off in their choosing." And there it was, the answer to why their paths crossed. Opposites always attract.

(sorry to get all philosophical at the very end. it was late and that was the sudden thought I had.)

Lion

Atriane could not deny that this was not exactly how he imagined proposing to the woman that would be his wife.  Though it wasn't much of a proposal considering that MacConway and Belinda had arranged the entire thing.  He was not the type to dream of kneeling down on one knee and have a girl breathless before him as he asked those four magic words.  He desired to marry a woman he fell in love with.  And by love, he desired the kind of love that would consume him in madness, make him want the girl more than any other, fight for her till his death, make him do anything that she asked of him.  It was the kind of hot-blooded love that required mutual passion for one another.  And, once he had fallen for the girl, there was not telling just what he would not do to gain her hand, to make her his completely.  His greed was unlike most men's and while he always captured what he sought and was yet to know defeat, he knew also how to be satisfied with what he obtained.  His greed made him somewhat reckless in getting what he wanted and if he wanted a girl he would even go as far as throwing her in the dungeons and keeping her there until she agreed to marry him.  This was the passionate love he sought, mutual, vehement, and undying.

Yet he knew he could not help the situation he was in.  He respected his father immensely and wished to be like him, saw in MacConway something to be idolized.  Still he could not deny his nature, to do so would be utter heresy against himself.  While Adelaide had gained an immense amount of respect from him for presenting a small amount of honesty to him, he thought nothing more of her in regards to emotions.  It was a fact that he didn't like hurting those he respected, one reason why he would acknowledge MacConway's wishes and wed her, and, in this, he would not want to hurt her.  Unless he saw proper reason to do so, of course.  But still, he saw none of the passion for life that he had and that convinced him that he could not love her.  From what he understood admiration was gained from how much one respected one another and respect was earned on how much one comprehended that other person.  He understood very little about Adelaide.  But even as this was so, he also convinced himself that this again was due to the fact that he knew so little about her.  And also because she didn't reveal too much about herself and neither did he.  Perhaps in getting to know her better, he could understand her more and, in understanding, would the others follow suit.

He smiled a little when he saw her plant the rose and saw it grow before his very eyes.  It did not surprise him for he had accomplished similar feats himself, but was a little amazed that she performed it in a way that made it seem natural for her to do so.  He merely nodded to her when she said it was their rose bush, something to be shared between them, and remained smiling when she humored him.  He thought it strange that he noticed how soft her hand was when she slid it back into his.  "I concur, good lady," he replied in his gentleman's tone.  As quietly as she dragged him to her place of being, did he lead her back to the manor in much the same way.  Through the forest, he started, engulfed in so much silence and darkness he almost felt at one with the night just like he did when he transformed.  The sky appeared through the canopy above them as midnight as his waistcoat, the silk almost glowing in the moonlight.  Then something Adelaide muttered incoherently captured his attention even as he kept on walking.  "Yin-Yang, you say?  Maybe you're right.  I've heard of some ancients who believed in such things but I never did think much of it.  Perhaps there's a lot more that I haven't yet learned," he said as politely as possible.  As he turned and smiled at her with a nodding glance, he couldn't help but feel some part of him frown inside.  Suddenly another judgment against her broke its way into his mind.  She was a dreamer.  As far as he knew, the world was filled with dreamers and doers and, when the rest of the world was moving ahead, changing, surviving, dreamers often got left behind.  But then suddenly a sense of sympathy went out to her and a new resolve erupted within him as his face became determined when he faced away from her.  No wife of mine is going to be left behind, he thought declaratively.

In matter of minutes they were out of the forest and once again approaching the wide porch of the Bloom manor.  It surprised him some to see his father and Belinda standing on the landing looking in their direction expectantly.  "What kept you?" his father called out to them.  Atriane grinned sardonically at MacConway.  He replied simply, "Gardening."

"Oh, your impossible, Atriane. Enough foolishness, we must return to dinner. 'Tis served already."  MacConway helped the hostess back into the house and left Atriane and Adelaide on the porch.  He glanced at his father's direction until his short stalwart image disappeared back into the room.  For a moment his previous choler returned with a vengeance.  He forced it back down though and decided to get through the evening as pleasantly as possible.  Then he turned back to her with a look of quizzical amusement swirling in his eyes.  "So, do we understand each other--at least on these terms?"  He already knew the answer to it for neither of them had much of choice in the matter considering what had just happened but for some reason he needed to hear it from her.

[Philosophical part was a nice touch.  Do you want to continue with the dinner scene or skip to each character's thoughts afterward, describing it as they each perceived it?  Then, when that's over, we can skip to their wedding day if you'd like.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

He had been off in his judgment of her being a dreamer for she was quite the opposite. She was simply an intellectual. Recalling something that she had once read to shed light on their situation. No, Adelaide was far from the dreamer type. This wallflower knew and understand what she was and who she would become. She was content with being that and had never had dreams of being something more. Destiny had given her gifts and she knew what she was to do with them. It would be like a fish asking for wings. The fish could no sooner fly just because he had wings. Adelaide was no dreamer. She was realistic. She understand her gift and would use it. Had used it. She had already begun her training. Uncle Jonathan had been one of the key teachers for her before he had died. Since then, none of the Bloom family had fallen ill. Their vintage wine had produced perfectly every year. Not even their animals had died to sickness. However, none of the dwellers within Bloom Manor had ever questioned it. Perhaps dismissing it as good luck. But it had been her careful training that had accomplished the feats. The rose had been a dismissed minor display of what she could truly do.

The silence between them was deafening, his polite reply to her observation had been the last words spoken between them. The walk to the manor had been just as quiet as the march to the meadow. But this time, it was not a path to freedom. It was the path to what they were both facing. Wedding Bells. She couldn't deny that she had noticed how her hand fit in his hand, though she would never speak of it. Still, she wasn't exactly comfortable with noticing it nor did she want to give it much thought. She focused on his response. Had she said something wrong? It was a dismissive polite. As they came to the manor, she spotted Belinda and MacConway waiting on the porch for them. MacConway spoke then Atriane said something in reply. Adelaide had not been paying attention. Her mind was this on their conversation. Then she realized he had addressed her. She looked at him blankly for a moment before nodding. "Yes, of course." And that had been the last of their private conversation...

Dinner went on as usual. It was Belinda talking everyone's ears off and everyone politely listening, she supposed. The meal was good. But there seemed to be a dooming black cloud over her. Of course, she smiled and answered when spoken to. Yet her mind was elsewhere. But could anyone blame her for being preoccupied? It was late when the party had ended and she found herself curled up in bed. Exhaustion had taken over her and sleep found her immediately. It was not until late morning did she finally open her eyes. Her sleep had been uneventful and she had been thankful. She woke rested, her mind gauzy and fuzzy. Then her sleepy eyes fell on the white dress hanging from the hook on her wall. A white dress. THE white dress. HER white dress. It had not been a dream... She rolled over, hiding her face in the fluffy down feather pillow. This was her wedding day... She sat up in bed eyeing the dress in judgment. It was a simple cut, with a empire waist and a V cut neckline. It was white with golden thread that weaved soft designs of vine and flower buds on the train. The bodice was trimmed in the tiniest amount of the thread. It was beautiful. Belinda must have had Betsey pick it out. This was not Belinda's taste at all. But Betsey however, knew her and what she would want. And suddenly she began to miss her already. What would she do without Betsey? Who would she talk to when she left?

There was an overwhelming sadness that she couldn't contain any longer. Tears welled up in her eyes at the thought. Today she would leave all this behind. She would be Lady Atriane Rathrane. Then she realized tears had begun to slip down her cheek. She quickly wiped them away in fear that someone might come in on her. For all of Adelaide's femininity, she was no cryer. She could not get over the cliche that girls cried. And when she did, she felt weak and silly afterwards. Still, there were times when she was alone that it happened. She would never cry in front of someone nor let anyone know. Yet, today seemed like the day she would spend in mourning of her life or the death of it. But with death brought rebirth, she was reminded. It might be the end of what she was used to but she would evolve. She would become something new and different. But she would still mourn the loss. If only she could find away out. If only that was even an option. She wandered around her room aimlessly for a few minutes, looking around not exactly sure what to do with herself. She needed out of the confines of this room. She needed to say goodbye to her world and find the courage to welcome a new one with open arms.

She dressed quickly. Pulling her hair up and pinning it to swirls of curls. She would go riding today. Bid her life a farewell. She headed for the stables. The stable master tacked up her horse while she wandered the aisles cooing and treating the horses to some sugar cubes. Then the stable master lead up, Warsaw. This boy she would for sure bring with her. Her pride and joy. The foal she had raised and bottle fed. She ran her hand over his muzzle and up to his forelock. Her fingers playing in his silver mane. The gray andalusian gave a soft nicker and pressed his muzzle against her stomach. She spoke to him in whispers and murmurs. She hoisted herself in to the saddle and adjusted herself. Then they were off. Cantering briskly across the fields of the Bloom Manor though the gate and down a forested path to the open world. No fences here. No obligations. No wedding. No Atriane. It was just the wind against her face and the stallion. It had been nearly two hours before she entered the fields again. Wandering along the property line. The scene had changed since her had left. There was no an arch and chairs set out in yard. Flowers lined the arch and there were tables out. She supposed the wedding setup was going as planned...

She returned the stallion to the stable and made her way in to the house where she found Belinda sitting in the study organizing what she figured were the last details of a wedding that was not truly hers. She sat down on the large winged arm chair and looked over at Belinda. Belinda gave her a motherly smile. "Today, my dear, you are to marry. You are going to the lady of a house and a wife. I know you do not want to marry. But this is the best for you. And I know you will agree later in life that this was what you needed. A gentle push in the right direction." Gentle? That was not a word Adelaide would have used for it. It was more like brow-beat. Shotgun wedding at its best. She gave Belinda a nod as if agreeing with her. Perhaps she would thank her in the end. Maybe this was what she needed, this was what was planned for her in the beginning. But somehow even if it was right, she couldn't find the joy that a bride was to feel. She couldn't find that happiness or excitement. There was just an overwhelming sadness and sense loss. Her thoughts wondered to Atriane. She wondered what he was thinking right now. Did he feel the same? Was he feeling that same sense of loss? "Guests will be arriving here in a few hours. Why don't you go upstairs and take a long hot bath? Relax. This is your day." Belinda leaned over and placed a hand softly on Adelaide's cheek as she pressed a kiss to the top of her head. Then she turned and went back to her work. Adelaide sat there for a moment longer before disappearing back upstairs.

She soaked in the bath for an hour. Until her fingers were pruney and the heat had almost completely abandoned the water. She was so completely lost in thought. She wondered what would be required of her. Where was she going from here? Would they, god forbid, share a room? Or even worse... a bed... She hadn't given that part much thought. She hadn't wanted to. She suddenly felt awkward and embarrassed. She pressed her fingers in to the bridge of her nose. This was certainly going to be a day of new experiences. She couldn't think about this anymore. She had to busy herself with something else. It happened then that Betsey knocked lightly on the door. "Come out, wee one. I came up to help ya dress." Thank god for distractions.

It took over three hours for her to get ready. Betsey curled her hair and pulled it up in to ringlets that cascaded down across her shoulders. Betsey had added small clear sparkling crystals to the curls here in there to give it a raindrop look. She had added light hints of make up here and there to enhance rather then cover. Jewelry was carefully picked out to make the gold theme. And when it was all over, she stood in front of the full length mirror. Her eyes once again looking for herself in what she saw. But she could only see forlorn. She tried to smile, tried to force some happiness in to her eyes but she just couldn't make it stick. Perhaps she would do better in the hour that she would wait to say her dutiful vows to a man she hardly knew. Oh, Adelaide, dear child cheer up. It is not the end of the world.

Lion

"Damn it, Argyle, not so tight!" Atriane cried out for a moment as the knot Argyle had pulled tight on his cravat just about choked him.  Immediately, the valet undid the knot with a few quick swipes of his hands that gave the air that he had been doing so for years.  When the cravat knot was finished, Atriane pulled at it slightly at it to give him a little more breathing room and he made an almost disgusted face at the white color of the cloth around his neck.  He never did like white cravats.  He thought them to blend too easily with the immaculate ruffles of his shirt and left no room for distinction.  But his father would have it no other way; he explained that he had worn the same color cravat on his wedding day.  Atriane sniffed at the thought of the garment becoming a tradition.

However, as he observed his image in the full length mirror, he thought he cut quite an elegant picture.  The white linen, ruffled shirt, cravat, were set nicely against the crème color of the waistcoat and hugged his torso in a loving embrace.  The black broadcloth suit was complete with full length trousers with straps that wrapped beneath the high instep of his varnished boots.  They were such fine boots too; comfortable enough to dance in all night or—he gulped slightly at the thought—to walk down the aisle in.  Atriane pulled a tried smile over his face to complete the image.  He appeared as a man who was prepared and almost happy to become a husband and to receive a wife.  But he did not feel this way as he reviewed and examined the events of the previous night.

The dinner was wonderful and Atriane ate, spoke, and drank like a gentleman.  The vintage was lovely in itself and he could have consumed the bottle if he wasn't in company.  He occasionally found himself giving mysterious glances to Adelaide, looking at her under low eyes when he didn't mean nor want too.  Of course, he would not think about doing things that disturbed him so and tried to stray his thoughts from Adelaide.  So he had focused on the dinner instead, the conversation, and laughed and spoke mechanically where he saw fit.

Upon the carriage ride home his father asked him of his thoughts on the situation.  All Atriane could do not to scream at his father for betraying him, he did and looked from his vigilance out the window to MacConway's concerned face, the gray beard making him look something of a stern, pompous badger.  But Atriane felt serious at this moment and asked in a simple tone, "How could you arrange my marriage, father?  Did you not recognize how I would feel about marrying a woman I hardly know?"

MacConway raised his head and furrowed his brows.  "I realize doing so was against your wishes, my son.  And for that I apologize to you.  But you wasted what time that was awarded you with frivolous behavior not befit of any proper gentleman.  You are an obstinate child, Atriane whether you recognize this or not and it was past time your proper marrying age.  I do not regret my decision and you should see it as I do.  Regardless, I do not believe I made the wrong choice; the Blooms are a good, respectable family and—"

"Oh, milord, you don't understand.  I know nothing about that insufferable Lady Adelaide that I should know.  I don't want to marry someone I might grow to dislike or resent.  And I fear I would resent her, because of your decision, father." Atriane's eyes grew wide with pain at the prospect of being stabbed in the back; by his own father no less.

"Listen, Atriane, it is you that doesn't seem to understand.  You may appear as a man, in fine clothes and refined manners, but inside you are an insolent, selfish child.  It's time for you to grow up and think of someone other than yourself.  You know as well as anyone that I married when I was but a year younger than you and I didn't know your mother, may she rest in peace, either when we wed.  I made my decision with your needs in mind."

Atriane looked at his father imploringly, but not on the verge of tears for he knew that there was no escape and nothing could save him now.  He remained silent, took a deep breath as MacConway resumed his part of the conversation.

"Do you respect her?

He looked at MacConway, at first confused then answered honestly, "Yes, of course."

"Then that is enough for now.  Look, do not fret, my son.  You will make a fine husband for her and her, a good wife.  I only ask one thing of you."

"What is that?"

"Love her, as I loved your mother."

And that was end of their conversation for the evening before the carriage turned into the driveway of Rhododendron and Atriane retired to his room.  The darkness of night engulfed almost the entirety of his room except for a few lit candles that sliced through the darkness.  There Atriane sat, in front of a vanity mirror with an open decanter of brandy before him and a glass, not even fully consumed.  His head rested on the palm of one hand as his other embraced the brandy filled glass.  As he stared at his reflection bitterly, his thoughts ran rampant and the voice of the wolf berated him for such weak action.  He did not listen and instead focused on his image.  He gazed deeply into his eyes and did not recognize his face.  In its place was not the handsome man he so often took pride in but a prisoner that was about to take the walk to executioner's block.  His thoughts consisted of nonsensical questions like: "Father, you're a fool.  You know not what you're doing.""Mother, if only you were alive, you'd stop this at once.""Damn, damn, damn..."  Then suddenly he acknowledged the words of the wolf.  He was weak.

Atriane rubbed his face sullenly in his hands when a new sense of determination came over him.  He would see this through, damn it, for he was no coward and never in his life had he run from a challenge.  "Besides," his mind told him in comfort, "it's not like you life is going to significantly change.  You'll simply be bound to a woman but you're still free to carry out you life as you always did.  And, just as well, you'll not be omitted from MacConway's will."

"Yes," said Atriane to thin air.  How come he didn't realize it before!  Sure he would be married, but he would still get his fortunes, just as MacConway promised him.  And his father was too much of a gentleman to go back on his promise.  A gleam of hope sprang in his eyes as he capped the decanter and tossed out the window in happiness.  When he heard it crash and a resounding familiar "Ouch!" he rushed to the window and called out an apology at the top of his lungs.  "Sorry, Argyle!"

The night came and went as did the day when he awoke and performed the monotonous routine on such an un-monotonous day.  He knew what day it was.  His wedding day and looked to it with a new sense of hope.  Today was his day and hers.  He would be the gentleman his father expected him to be, get the vows over with and be happy with what he had rather than what he had gained.  It wasn't until about midday when he had bathed and was dressed.  Now he was ready, standing in his full length mirror, smiling at his reflection when Argyle gazed at his young master with glowing pride.  "'Tis a proud day it is.  I've waited for this day for a long time.  Look at yourself, Master Atriane, your positively glowing."

"And your brogue is as thick as ever Argyle.  Y'know, I've always considered you something of a father when my own was away on business.  I'm glad that you've stayed by my side, good sir."

"I wouldn't have it any other way, milord.  Because if indeed you were me son, I would have been a father at fourteen, which is far too young, even for my family.  But 'tis beside the point of today. You will make the lady a fine husband, a concept which I believe wholeheartedly."

"You really think so?" Atriane asked rhetorically.  His faced turned sullen for a second in the face of his own self-doubt but changed immediately when his father entered and said to him, ""Tis time, son."  

With that, they departed for the Bloom estate where the wedding was to be held.  Atriane was surprised to learn that while the wedding was to be held on the land of his future wife, the reception was going to be held back at Rhododendron.  He expected this to be a very long day, nonetheless.  It was only a matter of moments when he found himself standing beside the man that would bind them in holy matrimony silently awaiting his bride.  He pulled a smile over his face to keep the guests from keeping their entire attention on him and to quell the small fountain of anxiety that pursed through his veins.  Before this moment, MacConway had left his side to go and see the bride and request to guide her down the aisle as it was customary to have a male member of the family to do so and while they were not yet one family, they would be soon and he would become the girl's father-in-law.  Atriane had met with a few of his cousins and dozens of other people he didn't know.  Must be her family, he thought.  He almost saw Aurora giggle out of the corner of his eye but he ignored it.  In his mind, he prepared himself.

Meanwhile, after speaking to Belinda, MacConway was led by a servant to where Adelaide was.  When he found her, he said in his easily recognizable kind voice, "'Tis time, milady."

[I left it open for you to control MacConway to escort Adelaide to the ceremony.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn