Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

· You watch them all day long, feel you dont belong · (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, June 15, 2008, 02:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

She watched them from above as they came and went. Adelaide had perched herself on the terrace balcony hidden from view by trees. Soft blue eyes watched as the guests began to arrive, taking their seats or mingling with the others. Her face said she was a million miles away. Human nature was so obvious. So unoriginal. They were such herd creatures. Flocking to one another. Soon, she would be down there with them. Looking Atriane in the eye and vowing to love and cherish him forever. She would smile as she spat the lies from her mouth. Sell her promise to the guests and before whomever watched from the heavens. For it was duty that they wed. She knew there was mutual respect, yes. But honestly, what else was there? What would keep them from killing each other in the end? She had decided there was nothing. Not one thing redeemed this little affair. They would play a couple and nothing more. It would be hallow and their marriage bed empty. The promises would be just words. They would mean nothing at all. There was not even common ground to stand on. They knew nothing of each other and she wasn't altogether sure she wanted to know anything about him.

Perhaps that was what scared her the most. She wasn't even sure she liked him. She had no desire to get to know him. But there was no more to think about the what if's. It was a fruitless effort and a waste of time. This was it. This was what was happening. And deep down, it scared her more then anything in her life. She would be bound to someone that had as much desire to love her as she him. Immortality was a bitch sometimes. She would live for eternity and it would be her luck, so would he. She wondered if they would simply coexist. Live in the same house, do the couple displays in public. Would their house ever be home or would it just be a house they lived in? Would they live together going through motions? She couldn't see herself bonding with him, even for him to become a close friend. How could he become a husband and lover? She was vexed by this notion.

She was startled as a hand touched her shoulder, freeing her from her own damning thoughts. Her eyes cut up to look at the face. Cecilia. She gave a smile. For even if Cecilia and Adelaide were night and day, they shared a bond that was stronger then anything. Cecilia smiled and wrapped her arm around her shoulder. "Well, today is the day... The vows. Belinda told me she had arranged it all without you knowing. I'm sorry for that. I never thought she would go that far. We both know she has been trying to marry you off for a year now." Adelaide gave a sigh and nodded. "I just assumed you would had wed already and taken some of the heat off me. I supposed this is a first. Me doing something first." Cecilia chuckled as she looked down at the people below. "Its not so bad, you know. This whole thing. You are marrying in to a rich family. All your needs will be taken care of. Atriane Rathrane is visually stunning. At least Bel Bel didn't set you up with some old widow. She could have set you up with Lord Rotham. I heard he was looking for a new bride to replace his what? Third wife? Adelaide laughed for the first time all day. "Lady Cecilia Rotham, it has a nice ring to it." Cecilia gave her a playful push. "Thats not nice. Adelaide Rotham isn't bad either. I'm sure its not to late. I could go tell Belinda right now that you would like to marry a older... gentlemen." It got quiet between them for a moment. Before Adelaide finally spoke again. "I do not love him." Cecilia wrapped her arms around her twin, hugging her gently. "I know. But don't think it won't happen. It could very well turn out that you will fall madly in love with him." Adelaide nodded slightly. "I'm more worried about him not loving me..." And there it was. What Adelaide feared the most out of this whole thing.

The knock on the door interrupted the conversation. Cecilia went to answer the door while Adelaide stared down at the ground absently again. "Addy, its time. Lord MacConway has asked to walk you down the aisle." Adelaide looked at the door. Once she went through that door, there was no turning back. No more Adelaide Bloom. She swallowed hard and stood. Her legs feeling like jelly all of the sudden. She bit her lip as she felt tears surfacing again. She forced herself to breathe and crossed the room to the door. Cecilia kissed her cheek and told her she would see her afterward. Adelaide mustered up a smile as she took MacConway's arm. It didn't take them long to reach the outside. It was bright as it had been earlier though the morning chill had turned in to a warm breeze. She closed her eyes and just breathed for a moment. She found her calm. Just like that, everyone disappeared. She focused on the aisle. She ignored the music that played and everyone that stood to watch her walk. She just kept breathing...

They came to the end and she was passed off to Atriane. MacConway lifted her veil and kissed her hand before turning to take his seat. She stepped up to the alter and gazed up at the preacher. He gestured for them to face one another and to hold hands. She turned to him, her eyes gazing in to his as she slipped her hands in to his hands. She was trying desperately to ignore the warmth of them and the way hers fit so well in to his. The Peacher began ceremony. He spoke of love and god but she wasn't listening. On the outside, she looked as though this was where she had always dreamed of being. On the inside, she was shaking. The Preacher asked if she took Atraine to be her husband. She smiled and nodded. "I do." And then it was time for vows. She tried hard to not just recite them but to infuse some emotion in to them. Yet she wasn't sure what emotion there was to infuse there, because there simply was none. She smiled when she said. A simple smile that reached in to her eyes even if she didn't mean for it to. "I, Adelaide Loryna Bloom, do take Atriane Rothrane, to be my wedded husband. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part." The Preacher then turned to Atraine. "Atraine Rothrane, do you take this woman to be your wedded wife?" Her eyes fell back to Atraine waiting for his response.

Lion

There was a small sense of qualm seeping stealthily as an assassin into Atriane as he waited for his bride at the end of the aisle.  It was that same sense of self-doubt that managed and probed its way through what mental blockade he sought to set up.  What kind of husband would he indeed be?  He could not provide a definite answer at this moment, but clung to the hope that he would be acceptable enough not only to her but himself as well.  He would try to perform his required duties with the amount of respect he felt for her and the courtesy that befell a proper gentleman.  Then his mind wandered to the prospect of marital duties concerning the bedroom.  He hadn't thought that far and frankly, while the thought of a marriage bed was rather intriguing to him, he didn't want to think anymore on the subject until the moment arrived.  He did know one thing though: He would never make her do anything she didn't want to do.  It wasn't like him to control a woman, let alone the one he was to articulate vows to in a few moments, and respected her too much to do so.  While he was nervous as to what marriage was like, he was still as ever curious to the thought that perhaps it wasn't as bad as he'd initially thought.  He looked forward to new experiences and he would take this one by storm if he had to; just like Atriane.  He vowed at this very second that he would carry out his vows, regardless of what they were or if he didn't really take to them to heart, whether Adelaide would like it or not.  And he would do them with a smile upon his face, as he should; nothing more and nothing less.

But nonetheless, he still could feel a small sense of loss on this day at this particular event.  Though he didn't dream of love in anyway he would pledging himself to a woman he, though respected greatly, felt nothing of the burning passion that a lover should feel—especially on his wedding day!  Apart of him was disappointed at this prospect, but felt as helpless as cornered prey, and as vulnerable as a newborn babe.  There was an emptiness inside of him that wrenched his heart and gripped at his throat with deadly, cold fingers.  Of course, he would not allow his qualms affect his outside appearance and debuted himself with the smile of a man that was ready to accept his wife.  He was ready, but the hole in his heart was still there.  But he was careful not to dismiss the possibility that he could indeed love Adelaide; he knew that he simply didn't at the moment.  Perhaps, he might have some feeling of admiration for her, aside from her honesty of course, after they were married.  After all, he was as prone to change as any other creature on the earth and far be it from him to question the path of fate.

And when he saw an image of a woman appear from the corner of his eyes, he turned his head in the right direction and smiled at the sight before his eyes.  The plain, solitary girl that would be his wife was dressed so elegantly he simply couldn't help but smile.  Not in the moments of their first and second meeting did he think Adelaide more beautiful than now.  His eyes twinkled in a fashion at thoughts not even he could perceive.   But he pushed them from his mind and instead enjoyed the sight of her striding down the aisle on the arm of his father.  Atriane's eyes observed every aspect of her clothing from the sheen of her hair, to her empire-waist dress, even to the little jewels that were braided into her image, only adding to her beauty.  But even as he noticed how his heart was slightly beating faster he ignored it and simply thought of it due to the fact that he was an admirer of beauty of all kinds.  He especially liked that of the woman most of all.  Beauty was universal, though some was more prominent than others, and so enraptured was he by the sight of her that he had to remind himself to breathe for a moment.  Finally, as she reached him, he sucked in a breath and straightened his back so that his chest stuck out in a soldier's stance.  The smile faded into a sterner visage as he watched MacConway take his seat after claiming a kiss from Adelaide and Aurora bursting with tears, trying to suppress jovial cries with nothing but a handkerchief and lace glove.  The preacher commanded them gently to face one another and take each other's hands.  As their charge spoke to her first, Atriane studied her face through the veil intently, searching for something he could not identify.

When he knew he could not find it he stopped examining and instead focused on her eyes.  His gaze was intense enough to pierce through her veil and when it was his turn to speak he did so with a wry smile, that was both genuine and that of his old self.  "I do," he answered, gently rubbing his thumbs on the backs of her hands.  "I, Atriane Casseger Rathrane, do take Adelaide Bloom to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part."  Then came time for the exchange of the rings and when that was done, the preacher said, "I now pronounce you husband and wife.  You may kiss the bride."

After tossing a confused glance at the preacher, Atriane turned back to Adelaide and nodded in reassurance.  He lifted her veil and thought nothing of giving her a chaste peck as a weak man might give new bride.  He leaned down slightly and his mouth sought hers.  When their lips made contact, he wrapped his arms around her and held her close to him as his lips coaxed hers apart kissed her softly and deeply as a strong, passionate man as he could do.  In a sense, he revealed a small flicker of the flame that was his scorching spirit.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

She had misjudged when she said the words would be a lie. This seemed to be a running theme, her being proved wrong. As she looked in to his eyes and made her vow to him, she knew she meant it. She wasn't sure what had changed from the time that spanned between her standing in her room to now, but something had. Cecilia was right. Still, she knew she was capable of finding herself loving him and then perhaps with time and knowledge of him, in love with him. But she was more afraid of it being all one sided. There was no attachment as of yet. What if she fell for him only to find he would never love her? She kept the smile on her lips as she looked him in the eyes. She found herself searching to see if there was any emotion in them at all when he said his vows. He vowed to love and cherish her. Whether negative or positive, she wished she had known him better so she could see the difference. For once she wished she had been telepathic.

The Preacher spoke some more and said to exchange rings. She slipped the gold band on his finger and held out her hand as he slipped hers on. She looked at it thoughtfully. A genuine smile crossed her lips as he pronounced them husband and wife. The next line had her eyes wide as she looked up at the preacher then to Atriane. This was one of those things that she had neglected to think about. She just pushed in to the back of her mind. He nodded at her and she gave a quick one in return. But it didn't stop her heart from pounding as he lifted her veil. She tipped her head as he leaned in. Their lips met in a soft kiss and her eyes fluttered closed. She felt his arms around her and she stepped in closer. Her slender body fit almost perfectly against his. She felt heat rush through her body for the first time. Such a new and odd feeling. Her left hand rested lightly on his chest while her right cupped his jaw. She enjoyed it more then she would have liked to admit, it was that realization that had her end the kiss. She pulled away from him just enough to break it, her eyes connecting with his, there was a small hint of lust that showed up in those blue eyes just below the surface. She gave an embarrassed grin as she looked out at the eyes that were on them and awkwardly looked away. She heard the Preacher announce them to their families. "It is with great pleasure that I present to you, Lord and Lady Atriane and Adelaide Rothrane. May their union prove fruitful and longlasting."

She looked back as they cheered them. She stole a glance up at Atriane before Belinda stood from the crowd and made her way to them. The woman was in tears. Almost sobbing if it were possible. She wiped her eyes as she gave Adelaide a hug and looked to Atriane. She took his hand in hers and patted it gently. "Now its your turn to take care of the little one. I've done my best. Now I wish you both love and happiness and a long life together." Adelaide blushed again awkwardly. This was what she hated most about being in public. The complete and total awkwardness she felt when cornered in front of a crowd. She dropped her hand and sought out his. Slipping her hand in his, she gave it a light squeeze. She wasn't she why she had nor would she admit that she sort of liked the feeling of it. Cecilia came around next. Adelaide grinned and hugged her tightly. She realized how much she was going to miss them. "See, you lived. The world didn't end and you didn't stop breathing because you had to be seen. Now, if we could only get you to participate in some small talk and witty banter, we might make a socialite out of you yet." Adelaide grinned again and rolled her eyes. "I still believe Lord Rotham is looking for his third wife... I could always put a bug in Aunt Belinda's ear since she seems to be in a marriage planning mood." Cecilia gave a defeated laugh. "Touche. I give." Cilia glanced at Atriane. Dark blue eyes gave him the once over in judgment before speaking quietly so only he could hear. "Don't break her heart." The warning glinted in her eyes for only a moment before she put back on her party face and was full of merriment again as she wandered off to mingle once more.

The guests filed up and one by one wished them the best. Belinda had announced the location of the reception and that all should depart soon for the festivities. Most had departed when Belinda had instructed Adelaide to change in to her party gown. Adelaide left Atriane to his own devices as she worked her way through the remainder of the crowd and to her room. She stood there in her old room now devoid of all things that were hers. No doubt Betsey had packed up all her things and had them taken to her new home. She glanced around her room feeling a bit lost. She wasn't unhappy she decided. Still, she wasn't sure if she could be classified as happy. She was thrown off. Some much to digest and given no time to do so. The only thing left in the other that was hers was her reception gown. It was a pale blue with silver trimmings. She ran her fingertips over the sheer fabric in thought, wondering just what laid on the other side of the carriage ride. She slipped out of her wedding dress and began working her way in to the gown. Straightening it and lacing the back the best she could. Meanwhile back on the lawn, Belinda approached Atriane. "My dear, go fetch Addy. The carriage is ready to leave now."

(I figured this would be a good time for them to talk a little before departing to the reception.)

Lion

As sure as he was of himself, Atriane felt her heart flutter as he held her in his embrace.  He knew that his own heart was doing pretty much the same thing, but no logical thought came to mind.  Then suddenly the rest of the world disappeared from his senses.  He could not hear the pleasant sawing of bows against stringed instruments or the euphoric voices and clapping of the guests.  It was as if it was just him and her in the embrace.  When she broke the kiss, the reality of his surroundings came roaring back into his ears and eyesight at the sound of clapping but even then he did not pay them any heed.  He looked directly into Adelaide's eyes and laughed lightly when he read the small amount of desire in her eyes.  He'd kissed before, surely, and was pleasantly amused he saw that look in a quiet girl like Adelaide.  He said nothing as he turned his attention to cacophony of the guests.

The family, now made into one by this union, that had taken their seats, were on their feet and were swarming the newly wed couple like buzzards on a carcass.  Tears streamed the cheeks of many beaming faces and people congratulated them with words Atriane couldn't decipher at all.  The first to make acquaintance with him was the chubby hand of Belinda Bloom who told him to take care of her.  "I will.  Thank you," he said smiling, shaking her hand.  Them came a few more with words of congrats, best wishes, hopes of happiness and long life, light jests in so jovial a situation, compliments on him or his new bride, and other miscellaneous comments that meant nothing to him whatsoever.  Adelaide sought out his presence and, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze, smiled at her.  He said various 'thank you's here and there to people he didn't know and gave kisses to cheeks of faces he didn't recognize.  MacConway's hand was the next to brace his and there were tears of pride ready to spill from his eyes.  "This is the one of the happiest days of my life, to finally see you married.  And to such a beautiful bride, no less.  I trust that you will take good care of her."  As a tear escaped, his father left from sight after shaking Atriane's hand vigorously.  Cecilia greeted him afterward and her warning left him stealing a confused glance back at his wife for a second before his cousin tossed her arms around his neck.

The gesture surprised him so, but he regained is composure in time to laugh into her smiling drenched face.  "Damn you, Atriane Rathrane!  You know how I cry at weddings and now my face is ruined," she commented playfully, nudging him in the shoulder.  "And I thought you would never get married."

"Well, I suppose everyone's wrong about something sometime," he replied with the same humor befitting his character.

"I guess you're right.  You're always right.  Nobody would have guessed though that you would have picked so blushing a bride to wed."  Aurora gestured toward Adelaide.

"And that is where you true folly fits, cousin.  I didn't choose her to marry, your honorable Uncle MacConway chose her for me.  But I don't see anymore problem in this though, seeing as the matter is done."

"That was a terrible thing, your father did.  But again, you've pointed out my flaw.  There is not more worrying about the matter I suppose.  Still, I wish you all the happiness in the world."  With that she smiled, kissed his cheek, then left to mingle with her brothers.

The crowd began to thin as they took their places for departure to the Rathrane estate for the reception.  Atriane spoke to various guests, telling them where the festivities were to be held just in case they couldn't catch Belinda's voice.  He stole a quick glimpse around him to see Adelaide depart within the house.  It was a short while afterward that he felt a hand tug at his sleeve and the voice of Belinda asking him to seek out her niece.  "Yes, Ms. Bloom." He bowed to her and to the guests he had been speaking before heading to the house.

He crossed the lawn in a few seconds with the swinging strides of his long legs and into the manor of which he first received the news of their marriage.  The house was darkened, and so quiet it left Atriane wondering just who it was that died.  He made his way leisurely through the parlor and up the staircase where he suspected Adelaide had been went, calling her name at various intervals.  Passing down a shadowed corridor, he checked into each empty room he encountered until he reached the final one.  He opened the door slowly, poking his head within and said, "Adelaide?" in a quiet voice.  When he saw her he tossed it open more and stepped with one foot on the threshold.  "There you are.  I've been looking for you.  The carriage is ready for us."

He paused for a time, noticing her dress.  Stepping in all the way, and closing the door behind him, Atriane scanned her over with his swirling eyes.  But his face remained impassive.  Except for when he smiled at her, "You look beautiful."  It was a genuine comment, and first of which he hoped would spring into a relationship based on honesty.  He leaned negligently against the door, with arms crossed over his chest, and letting his eyes enjoy the sight of her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

She had been sitting on the trunk at the end of her bed. She was lost in thought once more. Her mind drifting from thought to thought in regards to her day, nowhere totally in particular. It had been awkward day. She felt so much like a fish out of water, gasping for air in a panic. She just needed a moment to catch her breath. She took that moment now. She needed to calm down, find a foot hold on reality once more. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes again. She was now married. It was so difficult for her to wrap her mind around. She knew at some point she would marry, if and went she found her match. But this way had her so off balance. She felt torn away and drifting at sea. She stood and wondered to the mirror, blue eyes inspecting her image judgingly. No, she had not changed. She was still the same person that was looking back at her. She simply at a new name and a new responsibility. "Adelaide Rothrane." She said her name to no one as if testing the sound of it. Perhaps wanting to see if she looked at herself differently. No. Still the same person. So, if she was the same, why did she feel so disconnected now?

She returned to sitting on the trunk. Her fingers playing with the sheer blue fabric absently. It was only her name that broke her trance. She glanced at the door expectingly, getting to her feet waiting for whomever it was to enter. She gave a him a soft smile when he entered and said he was looking for her. She shook her head as if she had simply lost track of time. "I'm sorry. I was changing..." Suddenly, she felt awkward as he looked at her. Her fingers absently straightened the fabric and then tucked behind her back. She felt almost cornered by him as he shut the door. Such an odd feeling to have a man in her quarters. Well, her former quarters. Suppose she would have to get used to that feeling. She wasn't sure why she was compelled to ask but she did anyway. "Like it?" It was such a girl thing to ask. Normally, she would not even given it a second thought. Simply ushered them both away to the carriage.  

It seemed a long time had passed but it was only a few seconds before she shifted and turned away from him. Giving herself one last once over in the mirror. She straightened her hair quickly then turned back to him. She tipped her head to the side and gave him crooked smile. "I suppose we shouldn't keep them waiting." Her voice was reassuring and sweet as she closed the gap between them. He was leaning against the door so it wasn't as if she could open it at the moment. Instead, she gave a relieved exhale while leaning next to him on the door. "Well, we lived. The world didn't come to an end. So, I suppose thats a good sign." She smiled, her voice filled with humor as she glanced up at him. "And you looked very handsome." She said as she reached up and straightened his cravat and ruffles on his shirt. She wasn't sure why she had made the gesture and she chose to ignore the thought as she shift from her position to face him. "Now what?" The question could mean all manner of things. But she assumed he would know what she meant. What was next? It was like walking blind.

Now what was a loaded question. What was really next? Suddenly the future was before them that they had to plan. There was no more day to day living under the care of parents. It was their life now. Children, what about children? She didn't know why that came to mind, but it did. She had always wanted two. A boy and a girl. The boy older so he could take care of his younger sister. But only a few years difference so they would be close friends like Cilia and herself had been. She had always been the nurturing type. However, she wasn't sure about Atriane. He seemed set in his lifestyle. What else was there that should have been discussed but time was not allowed for? She had decided she would be the best wife she could to him. Make sure her vows weren't empty promises. But there was just simply to much left to be figured. Perhaps now was the best time to figure a few of them out...

Lion

Atriane nodded at her question about her dress.  It suited her very well, in his opinion.  Suddenly he felt that familiar burning in his blood, the same burning sensation he had felt when he had first met her in the field.  He felt a stinging voice rumble in the back of his mind, one so familiar; it a haunting rumble that the wolf often uttered in spirit when in the presence of desirous women.  Often, Atriane was capable of suppressing these feelings, emotions that could cause the wolf to gain control of him for a time.  He was a man who ofttimes was experienced in several different emotions, though lust was a rarity and it seemed only fueled by the passions of the beast within him.  He scanned her once more before turning his eyesight past her, listening to he words rather than focusing on her image.    "Aye, a very good sign, indeed.  I wouldn't know what would become of me if my world crumbled to my feet.  And thank you.  You're compliment means much."  His voice was smooth and nonchalant, but with a hint of sincerity.  That was the first time in the course of their not-so-legato relationship that she had taken it upon herself to give him a compliment.  And yet, he also noticed that this was the first time he had ever given her one.  A second of thought on the matter, he took and then discarded it into the pile of subjects he vowed to think of later.

It had been a long day so far, just as he predicted that morning when getting dressed.  He had been caught up in a tumult of events, a tempest at heart, and would have been enough to make his head spin.  But luckily he was used to a fast-paced life, never having to stop for anyone or anything.  And yet, it did not feel the same as it was.  One significant thing had happened today and there was no going back now.  He was married.  And as he stared down at the glinting ring upon his finger, he smiled slightly and then it faded as the reality of the situation came screaming back at him like a banshee for his soul.  His face became stern, and a lost look crept into his eyes.  There was no more gallivanting about carefree, no more courting, no more of the things that he was accustomed too; and being content to do them alone.  He was a husband now, had responsibilities and, while he vowed to follow through to everyone of them, right down to the letter if he had to, and would probably soon be a father.  He knew he was ready, physically and mentally but was unsure about spiritually.  And again his self-doubt began to creep in on him.

Adelaide's voice broke through to him, causing him to look up at her.  She asked him of what was to be next.  He took her words at face value and was about to speak of the reception when the true matter of her concern came to him.  A small giggle escaped him and he smiled at her, humored.  "Well, I suppose, now is as good a time as any to sort out a few matters we will face as husband and wife.  One, of course, will be the social scene.  People will expect us to appear at every ball and social gathering that comes up within the first year of marriage.  But," he said this while gently tucking her chin with his index finger, "we, of course, will have a will of our own and may choose to refuse some of them if we want.  Then there are financial matters.  Bank notes, property agreements, drafts and the like to sign, date, and initial as would come.  And who knows, maybe even children."  The subject of children was not one Atriane ever considered.  Other people's children annoyed him with questions and never seemed to stop talking his ear off about matters that he deemed none too important.  He hadn't decided yet whether he had wanted children or not but he did know that if he did have one, he would care for it with all the compassion in his heart.  He knew the amount of store mothers set on children, but not so much with the average father.  Usually a father was hard on a child, disciplined them in any manner he saw fit.  He was damned sure he was never going to do such a thing.  While it was true children of other couples irritated him endlessly, he knew that he would love a child of his very own.  It was the matters of blood that made such a difference.  He was also sure that he would never tell this to anyone unless he saw it as something important enough to disclose.

Atriane reached out and clasped her left hand, kissing it lightly and then fingering the wedding band on it with his thumb as he went on.  "I should let you know a few things about myself before we depart to the reception.  One, I'm not your average husband.  You know the kind who expect their word to be law and obeyed the instant it is issued.  Don't think for a minute that I would dream of acting this way.  I despise anything that inhibits liberty, and I expect you to experience the same amount of freedom that you did before today.  And two, I plan to be a very good husband and will devote my entire life to your happiness if need be to do so.  I don't think you should worry so much about me; I take my promises very seriously and have yet to fail on following through with them.  Family is also important to me, and I meant severely that I would take care of you should you need me."  He smiled at her and kissed her hand once more, this time taking his time in tearing his lips away.

When he did, he made a final comment.  "You're sweet and gentle and blushing when you don't want to.  I've told you before that I have no taste for these traits.  But I suppose I could get used to them, providing I'm around them enough.  But I don't think I could ever love these traits."  Suddenly, remembering the kiss and how her heart fluttered when he did so.  A sardonic grin spread across his face, as he raised an eyebrow at he before asking.  "How, exactly, did you feel when I kissed you?  And tell me truth.  I don't think honesty is too much to ask on my part."  He remained smiling and awaited her response with all the patience in the world collected into his curiously happy face.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She had come to the conclusion balls and parties would inevitably be a constant. It was unavoidable. She understood that it would be her duty, as his wife, to attend these. However, that didn't stop her blood from running cold at the thought of it. A hundred different people all wanting the juicy details of their wedding, their life and any little gossip that could possibly get around. But it gave her some relief to know he didn't expect her to attend all of them. She listened, though a little on the half hearted side, to him ramble off about financial matters and paper work. It was the "maybe even children" that caught her attention. She looked up at him again curious to read his reaction to his own words for some clue if perhaps he wanted them to. She wasn't sure what she read in him. There wasn't a spark but there wasn't a frown either. So, she decided that one would stay in the undecided pile for now.

It was so odd when he took her had and kissed it. She had no desire to pull it away. Why? She wasn't sure why the feeling disappeared, she simply filed that away in the unknown pile. A smile crossed her lips as she listened to him speak. His words eased her hesitations. She had feared that she would simply be thrown in to the world with no one but herself to lean on. But that wouldn't be so. Then he kissed her hand again. This time his lips lingered longer on her skin. She felt a familiar heat. Her skin burned under his lips causing her stomach to flutter. She took an un-noticeable deep breath. His final comment killed the moment. No, it went so far as to murder it, brutally. She took her hand from his and arched a brow. So, he doesn't like, for the most part, the things that make her, well, her. She gave an exasperated sigh and turned away from. Adelaide wandered around the room like a caged beast pacing. His words sinking in as she thought about how to respond to that. Then it got worse... had he actually just brought up their kiss? A nice moment and then that mouth.

She looked at him, eyes narrowing and her chin tipped up slightly in a defiant manner. The cynical grin on his face hadn't gone unnoticed and it simply fueled her annoyance. He was judging her again, sitting up on his high horse. This time, she was not going to stay quiet as she always had. "Well, Mr. Rothrane, I'm sorry you ended up saddled with someone with such qualities that you have to "get used to them". Imagine, gentle and sweet being on the list of undesirable traits in a woman. How will you stand it?" Her voice seethed with sarcasm and annoyance. But there was something else that just fueled it. Hurt. It hurt to think he would have to "get used" to what made her. It was like a stab, it stung deep and she couldn't ignore it even if she wanted to deny that it bothered her. She crossed her arms over her chest, not bothering to even face him. Why should she? God forbid, she might blush and offend him.

But still, his question was hanging in the back of her mind. What had she been feeling? What had  she been thinking, for god's sake? In that moment, she had let her guard and done something she had never done. But for a man who disliked a blushing girl, he sure called her out enough to cause it. She gave a sigh again as she rubbed her upper arms. Suddenly, she felt cold. She refused to blush and give him that. She gave her arm a squeeze before she spoke. Her words were awkward as she tried to find the words that best fit. "I liked it... and I didn't necessarily want you to stop... kissing me."  She gave a dismissive shrug as she wandered farther away from him to lean against the frame of the window. This was a mistake was all she could think. She felt more alone in this moment then she had ever in her life.

Lion

Atriane eyed her curiously, slits narrowed as she turned her back to him and his smile shrunk only a tad.  He knew he must have said something wrong to get her to act this way but there was something in that kiss, a reaction that one normally wouldn't have expected to happen in a quiet girl like Adelaide.  But he was perceptive to such feelings, for he shared them no only in the moment of the kiss but in much of his daily life.  He felt fire in her.  Not the literal heat of the body, but fire in her heart as it thumped against him when he held her in his arms.  He had felt and, quite frankly, he liked it in her.  It intrigued him to find if there were anymore brash emotions in her similar to his own.  Maybe, he decided, if he could get her to reveal them...  He didn't know what would happen if he indeed found such emotions behind her placid face, but he could try.  And when he was determined about a prospect, there was hardly anything that could stand in his way from getting what he sought.  And now, he sought to open her further.  She sensed there was more to her she led on; if he tried, perhaps he could reveal what hidden flame burned in her.

Atriane's smile widened when she spoke with the easily detectable sarcasm and he could imagine that she was seething inwardly at him.  Of course, he did not know the true source of her irritation towards him: That she was dismayed and hurt at the thought of him having to adjust to her characteristics, of what made her who she essentially was.  Yet, he smiled at the fact that she exploded at him, however small an explosion, in much the same way he would have if he had been the one to take his words.  He may have been judging her, but he knew also that he was sharing his opinion and further stressed the need for honesty, however blunt.  He saw no reason to lie to her either or her to him.  Finally he spoke, "I knew it was there."  He spoke ambiguously and did not intend for her to understand exactly what he meant.  But he spoke of the small amount of passion he detected in her that exposed itself when he kissed her.  It was evident in her words and, quite frankly, it made him smile.  He went on, nonchalantly dismissing his former statement, "Seeing as we are wed now, I suppose we can do away with the formalities.  Atriane will do, but I'm sure you already know this.  You don't have to take it too hard, or not at all, if it pleases you.  I was merely stating my opinion as we are free to do so.  I'm quite sure there are some characteristics about me that you don't like either."

Atriane strode over to her from his place by the door and continued in a soft voice, "You misinterpret my words, my dear.  Just because I meant that I do not love you now does not, in any way, meant that I will never love you.  Whom I to question Fate?  Why, I just might end up loving you for the very things I dislike."  His smile faded when he thought of her answer to his question.  His eyes searched her face for a moment before turning to the window.  He was silent, lost in thought and then looked back at her, with a wry grin, free of mockery.  "There is only one expectation I give you as your husband: I want you to be honest with me, to never lie to me, and be open with your emotions.  I sensed a hidden passion in you when I kissed you.  It was a passion similar to my own, and I plan to unearth it.  I want you to feel comfortable in expressing yourself: if your angry, annoyed, scared, hurt, by all means, let it out.  If you must, even direct it at me.  I'd rather that you scream at me and claw into my flesh, than to suffer in silent anguish.  Emotions never do well when they are bottled up.  Don't be afraid to speak your mind and be blunt if you want, even if your comment would hurt me."

He leaned in closer and whispered in her ear, "And frankly, I like kissing you.  And...I didn't want to stop either."  He rumbled a small laugh in his throat as he gently directed her face toward him with his hand beneath her chin.  He leaned against the window sill and looked at her with glittering eyes.  "You seem like the kind of girl who's always wanted to be kiss but was too afraid to ask.  Well, regardless if I'm wrong or not, I think you need a great deal of kissing.  And now that you're married to me, I plan to kiss you often and at irregular intervals so that each one will seem like a wonderful surprise."  With that, he leaned in and brushed his lips to hers for a moment.  "We shouldn't keep them waiting, should we?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

For all her simplicity, Adelaide was a complex creature. Though, she had simple dreams, simple desires and wanted a simple carefree life, it didn't mean she herself was simple. Adelaide was no simple mind or simpleton. Yet fate gave her anything but a simple life. It was ironic for her that she was married to someone so completely different and so complicated she wasn't sure she could wrap her mind around him. Would he always be so unpredictable? She gave a soft sigh as she leaned in to the glass, looking in the to darkness at the flickering of lights on the carriage below waiting to whisk them away to their happily ever after. She listened to him talk in an absent manner. Not really responding, for at the moment, she really had nothing to say. This was so much for the earth-bound girl to take in, to understand. Adelaide could never hold a grudge or even be angry at someone for long. Her nature just would not allow it. For all her need and desire to escape in to the silence, she loved mankind just as much. And as he spoke of formality and freedom of opinion, she began to believe that was all he cared about. Of course, Honesty was a big part of this. But what about tact? Does honesty have to be so blunt? There was a line where blunt honesty just became hurtful. Honesty should be tempered with love and tact. And if love could not be mustered then at least respect.

He had moved behind her or next to her, she hadn't bothered to look to see where he was. She could feel his presence. He spoke again, and of course she listened. She always listened. She looked up at him, blue eyes connecting with his for a moment before shifting back to the dark once more. "Atriane, I could no sooner raise my voice at you then try to injure you in anyway. It is simply not my way. Which seems to be so far from your grasp. Why do you like to exasperate me? On every occasion, you go out of your way to do just that." She didn't want a reply to her question or her statement. It was more just to bring it to his attention. She sighed softly again as she shook her head again. For someone so observant, he missed what was right in front of him. He had been so positive that just because she was quiet and gentle, that she was nothing else. Did he really think her so transparent? "Simply can not see the forest for the trees and for that, you have failed to see all that I have shown you." Her words were soft and carried no malice or anger. They were more a desperate attempt to make him understand, show him that she was not just the sum of her parts. "You, on two occasions, have seen me where I am most comfortable, yet you still miss it. I am not blank simply because I am quiet. Did you seriously believe that I was passionless because I do not show it outwardly? You see my quietness as something distasteful. I see it as a strength. I do not brattle on like other women. I listen and I always will. You see my gentleness as a flaw. I do not. I am thoughtful and mindful of others. For all my abilities to heal and to care for others, it would be saddening if I were to cause pain thoughtlessly. So, perhaps you see me as flawed for these, but I do not. This is how I am, Atriane. I do not know any other way to be."

There was silence between them until he leaned closer and whispered in to her ear. Her skin prickled in to goose-bumps as he spoke. He tipped her chin up so that she looked up at him. Her blue eyes connected with his as he spoke of kissing her often. An involuntary smile crossed her lips. Her stomach filled with butterflies at the thought. His lips brushed hers for only a moment leaving her slightly frustrated and wanting more. "They can wait..." She curled her fingers around the lapel of his jacket and pulled him closer. "It is our day, is it not?" With that, she kissed him. This was no light airy brushing of lips. No, this kiss carried heat and passion. He wanted to unearth it, he needn't bother. She would show him. She slipped her arms around his neck. Fingertips dancing along the nape of his neck and in to his hair. After what seemed like an eternity, she pulled her lips away from his just far enough away for her to whisper to him. "Just give me a reason to love you, thats all I want from you..."

Lion

He listened to her reply but was not heeding the essentiality of the words as he was to the manner in which they were given.  They were not vehement as they were before, but that did not bother him as he knew that she was being honest, and that was what he wanted from her.  He did not want her to change her ways, for if her soft-spoken manner was who she naturally was, far be it from him question the reasons she was this way.  He knew that changing a person was as easy as sucking a lion through a pinhole and it was not his intention to change her.  No, he merely wished to provoke her, to see if there indeed was something more beneath her facade worth seeking and experiencing, that he was not just wasting his time with her.  And, he realized now, he was not.  He interpreted more from her words than the understanding that there was passion in her.  Though it was often the tone of which something was said than the sentence itself that determined the intent of the statement, Atriane observed that her form of passion was quieter than his but was, nonetheless, still present.  It took courage to correct him as she did and he found in her passive tone: strength, passion, and honesty.  She admitted that she could not hurt him because it was apart of her nature to not to; he didn't precisely mean what she had said about raising voices and physical injury, he merely stated such things because sometimes that was way some people expressed their emotions and now he deciphered that her expression was in her own quiet way.  All he wanted from her was the truth, in how she felt, the courage to willingly tell him of what was on her mind. And she had given him that.  She was correct in her evaluation that he could not 'see the forest for the trees,' but he was eager to equip his traveling gear and explore that forest; he willingly admitted to himself that she had captured his interest—more than he would have liked.

Atriane half expected her to kiss him back and when their lips met, he reciprocated appropriately with the same passion she did him.  He slid his arms around her slender body and pressed her against his lean frame.  He let his fingers tangle in the silky strands of her blond hair and held her ever closer.  Again it was as if the rest of the world vanished from around him and all that filled his senses was the sound of her heart beating and her scent filling his nostrils.  But the languid impetuosity by which he pressed his lips to Adelaide's was cut off when she pulled away.  Still he could not say he was disappointed in her actions.  As a matter of fact, he was quite satisfied and it showed in his smile.  His voice was a little hazy with desire as he spoke in an almost inaudible whisper, "That's the spirit, my dear."  This was what he sought in her, passion unbridled, and he especially enjoyed it when they kissed.  He supposed she was inexperienced in such things, but he wasn't bothered by the prospect if it was true; he simply knew that she knew how to use her passions wisely.  And, somewhere deep inside him, he felt his respect for her swell in excess.

But his thoughts stopped at her words of endearment.  A reason to love him?  Love?  Was that what she truly wanted from him?  His smile faded only slightly at the corner of his mouth but inwardly he frowned.  There were a thousand reasons that she might love him and, he concluded, those same thousand by which she might come to hate him.  But even though he observed that she was not the type to hold a grudge, unlike him where he might even hold one for years if it meant that much to him, there still remained many questions to be answered with nebulous words.  And suddenly he was dismayed at the thought of her loving him because, even though he choked to admit it, he felt nothing but lust for her as of now.  He didn't deny the possibility of him loving her or vice versa for he was an ardent believer that anything in the world was possible.  In fact, he feared what would happen should he let himself fall.  The primary concept that plagued his mind was the fact that her presence disturbed the wolf in him.  The wolf was despised kindness, gentility, forgiveness, and, most of all, love for it considered all of these emotions to be weakness.  The wolf knew only lust, when provoked, would work through Atriane to obtain the object of its desire.  Should he fall in love, he knew the wolf would object to the point of blinding rage and perhaps take control of him, perhaps violate her, try to kill her and obliterate her from its host's life.  Atriane feared this because, while he currently did not love her, he knew she did not deserve to suffer under the wrath of a creature that hated the things that made Adelaide who she was.  This made it dangerous to love him, and even more for him to love her in return.

Moreover, Atriane valued honesty so much that he cared nothing for tact when it took no account for anything.  He would rather be stabbed by the bared truth than live under a pleasant illusion.  The good things performed with fake smiles and mock courtesy would only compound the pain when the truth was delivered as clear as the light of the day.  He would rather her know that he could not love her than pretend to do so and have her suffer under lies.  But he knew better than to tell her this now, because, one, she already knew partly the reasons why, and, two, doing so would divulge his most deadly secret.  And he could not do that, either.  Still, he admitted to himself that she was beautiful to him, at least in what he literally saw, and couldn't help but looking at her from their wedding kiss and on as a gloriously attractive woman.  He was a brave man and decide to let fate take its course, if he was meant to love her so be it and he would die trying, he would accept that also.

Atriane quietly acknowledged her words, his eyes glittering in obscurity.  He slowly kissed her cheek and said softly, "Love works in mysterious ways.  If you want to love me, I'm sure you will find a reason.  You're intelligent and perceptive, and I admire that about you."  He kissed her forehead before suggesting, "We can continue this conversation, later.  I don't want to be late to the reception of our own wedding."  Even though Atriane smiled at her with glistening teeth, apart of him wanted desperately to depart for he felt the burning in his veins angrier now than ever before.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adelaide was a woman. Like the women that carried her blood before her, she wanted what those women had and what every woman wanted. They had the same desires and dreams as any woman in this world. It was ingrained in instinct. The female psyche was a delicate one. Perhaps it would be deemed foolish by the male gender. But those desires ran deep within any woman, even if it were foolish, it was survival. The need to be cared for and loved while caring for someone was a strong instinct that few could really ignore. It was basic instinct that even ran through the animal kingdom. Males battled to show their abilities to protect, their prowess while others put on a display of health and vitality. Adelaide just wanted to be a woman. She just wanted to be loved and cared for as any woman. She only needed a reason. She didn't find it an odd request. It was a rather simple one. She wanted those emotions not motions. That would not necessarily mean she would force a fit, but she would do her best to try. Even if it just meant love and not in love.

At this moment, she was in his arms. She was breathless, her mind gauzy with desire and lust. Oh, yes, it had shocked her how much her body had responded to the kiss. It shocked her even more that she hadn't minded. There was not yet emotions behind the passion of their kiss, merely lust. But lust, at least, was a start. Where there is heat, there could be fire. Her fingertips were absently trailing across the back of his neck as he spoke in response to her only request. Yes, she was preceptive. Right now, she saw something in the obscurity. Something he wasn't telling her. She could see it in his eyes. There was something in his eyes she could not define, lurking below the surface. A darkness about him that she had missed. For as sensitive as Adelaide was, she had just assumed that was his personality. But now, she knew there was something other then what he told her there. She tipped her head slightly to the side as he kissed her cheek then forehead. She gave him a lazy smile. She would remain silent about what she saw. Perhaps he would reveal while there was a darkness there when the time was right. "As you wish..." Her voice was a bit more husky then usual, her eyes told why. She slipped from his arms and moved slowly towards the door. She glanced back to him as she walked out in to the hall. "Coming, Atriane?"

She made her way through the dark silent manor. It was eerie at night, she had decided years ago as a child. So much darkness with not enough light to light the way. There were always to many shadows. She could remember when she did not want to leave her room if it were dark. Her imagination had always gotten the best of her. Even now, in her twenties, her imagination could still get the better of her. She picked up her pace only slightly as she exited the house and was helped in to the carriage. She made some small apology for being late before settling inside. The carriage ride was not too long. But long enough, that she rested her head against the side of the cab and closed her eyes. Why did she suddenly feel exhausted? She gave a soft sigh as she looked out the window, watching the darkness pass them by. She wondered how anyone could navigate in the pitch black. Though, she supposed it would be the equivalent of her knowing the way to her meadow. Her meadow. She suddenly missed it. She realized she would not be back to it. There was a deep forlorn that brought back the same feelings as before. She could no longer see the lights from the Bloom manor in the distance. She closed her eyes again, trying not to think of had been left behind. She could find new roots to lay. She stole a glance to Atriane wondering what was going through his mind. She wondered if he mourned his way of life as she mourned hers.

They arrived afterwhat seemed like eternity in the carriage. She glanced out at the castle that would be her home. It looked twice the size of Bloom Manor and there was something ominous about it, the way it jutted out of the darkness. The carriage came to a halt out front. There was a hesitation as the door opened. When she stepped out of the carriage, there would be nothing left of her old life. She took the hand that was offered her and slipped from the carriage. Blue eyes curiously looking about what little grounds she could see in this limited light. She glanced back to Atriane and gave him a smile before entering the house. She was met by Belinda as she called to everyone that they had finally arrived. "Oh my dear, did you all get lost? It has been almost an hour." Adelaide shook her gracefully. "No, Aunt Bel. Do forgive us for keeping you waiting. There was just a few things that needed to be discussed before the reception. But all is taken care of now." Belinda's smile widened. "Well, as long as business was taken care of, then it is time to enjoy ourselves. Refreshments have been served and it is almost time for you both to cut the cake. But let us get you settled at the wedding party table before we get the festivities started, shall we?" She took a deep breath to settle her nerves before she glanced at Atriane. "I despise crowds..." With that, she entered the room and waited for him to join her at their table. And so began their new life...

(ugh. horrible post. completely unfit for a post. not much to say or do, I suppose. Oh yes, Addy needs to meet this dark side of his. That would be super interesting.)

Lion

The wolf and Atriane were one.  Well, for the most part.  More often than not their personalities melded naturally; for they frequently had the same wants and instincts: To take care of the self before anybody else, for that was the way of the world.  And yet they were different; there was more to Atriane than what he let on, just like it was with Adelaide.  But the wolf was so basic it was primal in essence, and its ability to instill powerful desire in others was something it considered a quality than a drawback.  It was in this aspect however that Atriane did not share.  He was passionate for life and passionate towards those that he cared for.  The wolf was fueled by anger and a deep, inbred hatred of things that it wanted nothing to with while Atriane was capable of an ardent temper, comparable to that of a raging volcano, he was just in deciding who he set his wrath upon and learned early in his life to punish only those that deserved castigation.  And furthermore, the wolf hated and despised love whereas Atriane did not and valued at as one of the highest things a being could achieve.  True, he would not deny that he wanted to be in love as much as any other but he was content with letting the matters of the heart be told by the threads of time, by the results of his actions working together with the turning of events if fate would have it.  The wolf would revolt this most assuredly.

Though he did feel that many of the emotions the beast considered strength, were as stated.  And just as he agreed that assertion was strength because it presented where a person stood on a matter with or without dispute, so did the wolf assert itself on where it stood on the matter of Adelaide.  Its senses reached out through Atriane and breathed in the gentle aura of her and then recoiled instantaneously with an angry snarl.  It would assess what it found and review it when the time was right.

Atriane looked casually out the window, regaining his composure, and thinking of the future, as he most often did when lost in thought.  It was a silent night, so quiet and so different than the wild forests back at home.  But they were departing soon, to their home, to the restless castle of Rhododendron.  He was cut out of his thought when Adelaide called to him.  He nodded wordlessly and followed her out of the carriage awaiting them in the driveway.  After helping her into the carriage, he took his own seat across from her after thanking the driver.  And they were off.  The entire ride to the Rathrane estate was a relatively quiet one for they both occupied themselves with staring at objects other than each other.  Again Atriane had allowed himself to become lost in thought as a familiar deep throated, raspy voice seeped into his head.

"She will be the end of you, Atriane.  She will destroy who you are..."

Despite Atriane's face being stoic as he stared at the stars that hovered over the horizon like a million tiny candles, inside, his mind answered the wolf in a nonchalant manner.  "I don't believe that.  Have you seen her?  She's practically harmless."

"Seen her, I have and she is much to be desired." There was a low rumbling in its voice before continuing, "If you must consort with her, then see her only as an object.  Use her until she satisfies you.  When there is nothing more to be gained, dispose of her.  But be wary nonetheless, she is a danger to us...  You have been warned."

Atriane said nothing in return, but considered what the wolf had spoken of.  Use her, his own wife?  It was possible for him to do such a thing, but only if the wolf gained control of him.  He would never do such a despicable thing as to treat a woman like an object, and he wasn't going to start with Adelaide.  He dismissed the beast's warning as a foolish conjecture.  But still there broiled in his soul a heat of ardent disapproval and disgust at Atriane's actions and decisions.  He pondered for a moment, thinking of the warning and then, quite spontaneously, his mind drifted to his mother.  And just as instantly he felt terribly sad within.  Catherine Rathrane would have like to have seen Atriane get married and to meet the girl he would spend the rest of his existence with.  But he knew that such a notion was six years too late.  She had died on his twentieth birthday.  Bless her soul, was all he thought and finished thinking of her with conviction that she was in a better place now.

The ride went on and Atriane watched the gradual transformation of the quiet wilderness of the Bloom estate to the wild, restless forests of Rhododendron.  The wildflowers blossomed like moonbuds in the glowing, heavenly light from the sky.  It danced through the canopy tops, reflecting the leaves perfectly and shining down on all the creatures that roamed within as a mother would set vigilance upon a child, guarding them and nurturing them even as they hunted one another.  Various night calls of birds and Atriane listened for the most beautiful song of all to pierce through; the song of the nightingale.  He frowned a little when the call did not come but was nonetheless relieved at the thought that they finally reached home, or the place that would become Adelaide's home as well as his.  The call of the nightingale was rare in this part of the country and he frequently heard the song from the caged one he had hanging in the North Tower.

The polished carriage emerged through the gates of the estate by the main path before swinging into the large driveway, gravel grinding beneath the cab's large white wheels.  Atriane stepped out first and helped Adelaide out after she recovered from what seemed to be hesitation.  He was only slightly confused as to what she was hesitant about, but then quickly assumed that it must have been the reception.  As soon as they entered they were met by Belinda whom, as usual, blustered with words that Atriane cared not to answer.  Thankfully Adelaide was here to save from having to say anything.  He nodded to her as she left for the ballroom area where the gathering was given and bolted up the stairs to his room.  There he quickly changed from his black suit to an evening suit much more befit for dancing, dining, and the like.  After smoothing out the velvet of his midnight blue jacket, he readjusted the white cravat in the mirror; he had decided to keep it on until the evening was over for it seemed to suit the occasion.  He pulled the belt holding his rapiers around his waist and flung the tails of his coat over them.  He knew he would not need them but the gold hilts complemented the rest of his outfit so well, he couldn't help but equip them.

Before he knew it he was back downstairs and entered the ballroom without further adieu.  He knew it was time to cut the cake and was beside Adelaide in a flash.  Taking his seat beside her, he smiled as he looked around at guests gathered at the other tables and asked rhetorically, "Well, I hope I didn't miss anything, did I?"

[Don't worry, mine was worse.  I agree about the wolf, I plan to have him transform soon but I thought it might be fun to see Atriane's rival make a cameo appearance and see how Atriane takes it first.  I'll throw him in at the right time, don't worry about him yet.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The night was seemingly going to drag on forever. Atriane hadn't told her where he had headed off to, nor had she really given him a chance. She had simply thrown herself to the wolves at the party and made her way slowly through the crowd to their table. She had to face most of the guests and their comments and questions without him. She had expertly fielded them to Belinda. She wanted to talk anyway. Might as well let her dominate the conversation while Adelaide slipped away unnoticed. It had taken her almost twenty minutes to dodge guests and to make her way to the table. She was exhausted and she didn't bother to hide it. She sat at the wedding party table for a while alone. She was served her diner by an unknown waiter. She simply nodded in thanks and picked up her fork. She picked at the food on her plate for a while, moving things around and eating slowly. Normally, she would have ate with gusto. Tonight, all she wanted was to retire. She needed sleep. But that brought up a rather perplexing question in the back of her mind. Where was she to sleep, would she have her own quarters or would it be their quarters? She wasn't sure why that suddenly had her edgy and nervous. She had given the wedding night some thought and had, for the most part, prepared herself. But afterward, hadn't been given a thought at all. Awkwardness joined to mingle with the edgy and nerves.

His voice pulled her out of her thoughts, she glanced up at him with a fleeting smile before answering. "No. Not a thing. Belinda has been waiting on you so we can cut the cake. Apparently, if we don't do it soon, the reception will be ruined." She said the last part in a dismissive voice and added the similar gesture with her hand to go with it. Belinda could be some what of a drama queen when allowed to run a party. She once more went back to picking at diner. Food and cake and guests were the last thing on her giving a damn about list. At this point, she was running on empty and it showed. There was shadows under her eyes. She glanced over at him. The question poised on her tongue. But before she could ask, Belinda wandered over again. "Alright, my darlings, its time to cut the cake. Come on. The guests have been waiting for this all night. And your business delayed us an hour." Adelaide gave another sharp exhale. She was starting to get cranky. "I'm sure the quests understood of the delay. But as you wish..." The ceremonious cutting of the cake was tradition at any wedding. She was sure that under other circumstances it might have been enjoyable. But on this day, it was like an bad actor trying to play the part. She gave her smiles and did what came with the tradition. She could not, however, say she regretted when it was over.

Once they had returned to the table, she sat down and shifted to find a comfortable position. "I don't know about you, but I am exhausted." She said the words in a hushed tone so only he would hear it. The day had been so long and eventful. More then just eventful, it had been emotional. She was starting to feel the effects. She supposed it would be an hour or so before the reception would wind down and then she would be able to relax, to find sleep and put this day to rest. She wondered if it were the same for him. If he were tired, she didn't know him well enough to see it. Still, it didn't stop her from stealing a glance at his profile. He didn't seem to be outwardly, if he was, he hid it allot better then she had. Though, she wasn't exactly trying. She watched the guests at their tables, consuming cake and mass amounts of wine and champagne. She still couldn't understand the draw of people to weddings. The majority of these people that were supposed to be her side of the quests, she hadn't even met. The rest were family. With that thought, suddenly she wondered where Jonathan was and what he thought of what Belinda had done. She wondered if he approved. Her thoughts were set aside as guests approached and chit chat ensued.  

(More horribleness. Sorry, this post is completely pointless. I had nothing good to say. Kind of an awkward post since there wasn't much going on. =)

Lion

Atriane suspected that, for the most part, the evening would primarily be on the awkward side of things.  But he would do his best so that this would not be so.  While he felt tired only in his mind, his body felt invigorated; especially at the thought of dancing.  The activity was something Atriane enjoyed for it was not only an excellent form of expression but was freeing in movement.  And in the event that the night would become awkward, he decided that he would help Adelaide from feeling embarrassed if he could.  His natural spirit to enjoy himself and encourage others to do so had never once failed him before and there wasn't a doubt in his mind that it would now.  He was a social creature and would not let Adelaide be the silent wallflower any longer, even if she was reluctant.  He could recognize, even if he didn't know that much about her, that she was not comfortable in crowds or gatherings; he knew not only from her words but by her secluded behavior.  It amused him a little, though the divine only knew why, and decided that he would help her be comfortable, even if it killed him.

Now this is more like it, he thought as he smiled at her in return.  He endured the cutting of the cake like he was brought up to do, with grins and kind words to others; all the while thinking that tonight he would enjoy himself.  He would convince Adelaide that she could rely on him to guide her through the ruckus of a social life and let her have her quiet time when she wanted it.  And he would do his best to encourage her to enjoy the reception with him.  Social gatherings, especially gatherings where family was concerned always cheered him up and took his mind off of boring, dismal subjects.  Where a frown would normally grow on his fine face, a smile took its place.  As they took their seats back at their table, Atriane laughed good-humoredly and patted her hand lightly.  "Well, don't worry about that, Adelaide.  The evening will be over soon and you will have your rest."  He smiled for a moment at her considering what would be of their wedding night.  Of course he had given it thought before; being both male and possessed with a werewolf would be much cause to do so.  His mind drifted off for a moment, his eyes glittering with dark desires.  But he blinked himself back to reality before Adelaide would take notice.  He leaned into her ear and spoke in a languid whisper, "But I do hope you've enough energy left for a dance.  I won't let you retire until I've claimed at least one."  Atriane leaned back in his chair and took a drink of his champagne as he watched a dozen twirling couples on the polished marble floor of the ballroom swaying to and fro to the rhythm of the music.

He tapped his feet excitedly beneath the table in sync with the music.  He knew this waltz very well and even counted the step in his head: One—two—three.  One—two—three.  Turn—two—three. One—two—three.  Dip—two—three.  One—two—three.  It was simple and yet elegant in itself and was one of the first dances he learned.  Keep the shoulders back, chest forward, arms poised, and feet in tune with the music.  He watched as bows sawed against violins and cellos and other stringed instruments and as the pianist's fingers danced across the black and white keys, pounding on them, speeding up, and slowing down when necessary.  All the instruments blended together beautifully and swirled in Atriane's mind until he was so anxious he could jump up and shout out.  But as he finished his second class of champagne he spoke decisively.  "I can't take another moment of this," and leapt to his feet.  He rounded the table, walking behind his chair and then around to Adelaide.  He appeared at her side, smiling at her, and offering her his hand.  In the most encouraging voice he could muster, he said, "Dance with me."

[I suppose that's partly my fault since I haven't been giving you much to reply to.  Aloysius will show up soon after this scene.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adelaide wasn't embarrassed by crowds. Adelaide was terrified of them. There was something about being the center of attention that petrified her. For all her strengths, it was her biggest fear. The thought of being surrounded by a herd people made her blood run cold. She normally kept this under control. She had an extreme amount of control when she wanted to. Tonight, with fatigue consuming her, her control was waning it slightly. Then he said it, Dance. Save some energy for some dancing. For as much as Adelaide tried to hide it, she loved to dance. There was nothing more freeing then to dance. The gentle sway to soft music or a blood pumping waltz, she knew them all. As a child, she had been taught every dance there was for polite society. It had always been a passion. Even as a child she could remember when Belinda would host grand parties, she would sneak down stairs to watch the women in their lovely dresses dancing. Their skirts waving as their twirled. It was a beautiful sight and she had always wanted to be one. Ironically, as she got older, so did her fear of crowds. So, no matter how much she wanted to do, she had never really danced at any of the parties that she had been to.

"I shall try." Her voice might not have sounded like it, but she was shaking. All she could think about was everyone in the room watching them. She picked up her glass of champagne and finished it. She wasn't sure if it was her second or third. But it didn't matter, she raised her glass to a servant for a refill. It wasn't her intention to get drunk, but simply calm her very ragged nerves. As soon as her glass was filled once more, she worked her way through that one as well. She leaned back against the back of the chair. She was starting to blush as the alcohol coursed through her veins. She gave a deep exhale as she calmed herself. Blue eyes watching the crowd with a little more relaxed look. She wasn't a drinker, but sometimes, Belinda had said if you need a little courage, champagne was the best way to get it. She cut a look over at him as he spoke with a bit of confusion on her face. She watched him walk around the table and to her.

Dance with me. The words echoed as she glanced down at his outstretched hand. She trusted him, she really did. But she couldn't help but want to decline and stay hidden in her chair. Yet trust won out. She reached her hand out and took his, standing up and allowing him to lead her to the dance floor. She placed her hand on his shoulder and stepped in close to him. Her body pressed tightly against his and her shoulder locked for him to lead her in the dance. Blue eyes remained locked with his as she waited for the music to start. The music started in a medium paced waltz. She followed his lead as they danced along to the music, twirling around the dance floor with grace and elegance. For all that Adelaide was, a dancer she had always wanted to be as a child. Now here she was, dancing with her husband at their wedding. It was an odd feeling to actually be one of the girls in the beautiful dresses twirling about the dance floor. Yet after awhile, she found herself loosening up. The smile on her face that had been screwed on, slowly turned in to a genuine grin. Only a few minutes in to the dance, she actually found herself having fun, enjoying the fluid movements and rhythms. Perhaps she would have the energy to dance.

(Should be quite interesting. Can't wait!)

Lion

The first of the music was a smooth plucking of the guitars on light strings in a steady three-beat rhythm then followed the gentle flow of the white piano.  After the cellos joined in so did the choir of violins in their cries of joy at the event.  Only one violin sang in a different rhythm, following its own course to provide the melody by which the couples would move to.

The musicians paused only for a moments, preparing for the next waltz.  And it was in this moment that Atriane led Adelaide to the middle of the ballroom dance floor in a backwards walk.  When they reached their destination, Atriane pulled her close to him with one hand solidly at her waist and the other positioned itself in her hand, shoulders as straight as hers and with his palm pressing warmly against hers.  He kept a genuine grin on his face, his eyes laughing in joy.  Dancing was a passion of his, aside from horse riding, fencing and other activities, and one that he like to pursue ardently.  He learned early on in his gentleman's teachings that dancing was performed best when the music moved throughout the dancer.  "Let the music move you," his father had told him.  "That is how a true gentleman dances."  This particular subject was one that he took to heart with great passion and made excellent progress so much that women fought to claim dances with him, rather than vice versa.  Atriane locked eyes with Adelaide forcing the rest of the dancers out of his concentration and kept just the music and her.  He minded the other couples on the floor as he twirled his wife around professionally and it was not too far into the dance when he noticed an unfeigned smile touch her lips.  "You have a beautiful smile when it isn't fastened on your face," he commented rather casually and squeezed her a little at her waist.

He laughed a little and let the music flow through him, control his feet as he took the steps that were almost computed into his body.  He executed each step exquisitely, with an elegant lightness that would have taken an ordinary person many years to master.  He did not have to count the steps in his head, as many amateurs did, and was admittedly impressed when he noticed that Adelaide didn't either.  "You are an excellent dancer, Adelaide Rathrane.  I must say it's an honor to hold you in my arms."  And before he knew it the song had ended and blended into a softer dance that allowed a little more freedom of expression than the standard stiff-armed waltz performed at weddings.  Atriane did not stop in his movements as the first song led into the second and simply did as he did before, let the music flow through him and control his movements as he dipped Adelaide and swung her back up into his embrace with all the refinement of a lover.  This melody was slower and more romantic than the previous song and suddenly, little did either know that the other couples had stopped dancing and had started to gawk at them with wide eyes filled with wonderment.

The guests on the dance floor had moved to the very edges to make room for the twirling and swooping forms of Adelaide and Atriane as they moved in unison with one another.  His arm slid all the way around her waist and locked her to him as he dipped her again.  He continued to keep his eyes sealed to her hears and it was unbeknownst to him the intensity by which he gazed into her blue eyes.  His own magenta ones crackled with dark electricity and a fire burned behind them.   Their faces were close now, close enough befitting a dance like the one he led her in.  Atriane spun her once more and moved with the same intensity as the music as it sped up in emotion.  The violin that led the melody of the previous song, screeched and sawed against the strings with such a fiery vigor it was almost frightening.  But he felt that emotion soar through his passionate spirit as if he were flying atop Gaetano over a towering hedge and it was fear that was expressed on his face, but the intensity of the music.  And when the music stopped suddenly, with the final cry of the lead violin, so did Atriane in the finishing movement and slowly pulled Adelaide to her feet from the final dip as a roar of applause escaped from the guests around them.  A smile crept to his lips as his chest heaved up and down in an attempt to catch his breath.  He smiled at the people around him thanked them and, with his arms still around her, guided Adelaide back to the table.  "It seems—we have mesmerized—them with little dance."  He laughed lightly and was about to help Adelaide into her chair when suddenly an all too familiar voice caught his attention: "Atriane Rathrane...  I never did think that someone like you would ever marry."

Atriane stopped suddenly and his smiled faded as the name came into his mind to match the voice too.  His face hardened, trying to suppress the flaring frustration and anger the eldest Champlane son always set blazing with his presence.  Slowly he turned around and faced the viscount he hated more than anyone else on the face of the planet.  "Well, if it isn't the Lord Aloysius Champlane.  What are you doing here?"

Standing at an intimidating six foot three, Aloysius Champlane was an intimidating man with a contemptuous grin on his finely paled face that was covered in a finely trimmed blonde beard that trailed up his jaw line to his slicked back yellow hair.  He was a man that held all of Atriane's negative qualities and none of his good ones.  He held an open contempt for all nobles below his ranking and expressed a cold, well-concealed jealous courtesy to those above him.  He was practical and cared to waste little time on those that did not benefit him immensely, treated his servants like the mud on his riding boots, and the women on his arm as lesser than he.  It was for these reasons and more that Atriane despised the young viscount with all the hatred a man of twenty-six could muster.  The viscount waved his hand nonchalantly at the guests that resumed their business of enjoying the reception as he answered coolly, "Well, apparently you didn't invite me to what was rumored to be your wedding.  I heard some idle gossip from some worthless servant and decided to see if indeed the rumor was true.  Hmm, it seems to be so.

"It is precisely as you've heard and as you've said.  You were not invited to this wedding, so I suggest that you leave, Aloysius," Atriane retorted, his face hardening and his eyes becoming fierce.

Aloysius acted as if he didn't hear the comment and pursued into a conversation he knew would grate at Atriane's nerves.  "I also heard that your wedding was done rather on the spot.  An arranged one, if I'm not mistaken.  And to some timid little thing, no less.  I must express my deepest pity for you.  I would have thought your father would know better."  His voice was filled with the utmost mockery and hauteur befit of someone of his character.

Atriane sniffed in disdain.  "I don't need your pity.  Now leave."  But even as the anger that flared in the face of his words flared, Atriane couldn't help but feel a little grim at the thought of his father going behind his back once again.  But the emotion quickly faded and was replaced with burning fury.  Though it did not show in is face, the comment on Adelaide annoyed him, and a little flame of rage ignited in his eyes.  His stare hardened and said, "You will not insult me or my wife.  I need neither your pity nor your presence.  You need not my time nor to know my wife.  I trust that you will leave with your passel of idiots trailing behind you."  He waved his hand casually toward Aloysius' entourage that stood behind him, smiling stupidly.  "Now!"

The expression on the viscount's face rapidly changed to a stern visage.  "That is not how you speak to your superior, Rathrane."

Atriane's right fist gripped the golden hilt of the rapier at his side, his knuckles turning white and trembling with impotent rage.  He gritted his teeth, muscles bunching at the sides of his jaw, and spoke with a forced smile, "I ask you to please depart immediately, sir.  You were not invited and, from one gentleman to another, I kindly ask you to leave—milord."  The last word was forced as his faked smile faded and was replaced by a hardened grimace.

"Now, was that so difficult, Rathrane."  Aloysius sneered at him then at Adelaide, his eyes wandering.  After his head swooped around the room he sniffed once in an annoying fashion and said, "Well, I've been here but three minutes and already this party bores me.  I think I'll take my leave now.  Farewell, Rathrane." He bowed mockingly toward Atriane then to Adelaide, "Milady." With that he departed with his entourage trailing behind him as Atriane predicted.

When their forms left from sight, Atriane took his seat, downing the glass of champagne that had been set before him and said in a low, dangerous voice, "I hate that man."

The rest of the reception went on pleasantly for the most part, except for that raw incident.  But as the evening wore on and the guests began to tire, Atriane had forgotten all about it as he enjoyed himself further.  Before he knew it the guests began to depart one by one and the servants began to clean up.  Atriane kissed Belinda on the cheek before helping her into the carriage and watching it roll out of the driveway before he retreated back to Adelaide's side.  His body ached only slightly from the continuous sitting and standing and talking but thankfully the wolf within him gave him renewed energy and extended his durability limit.  He put his arm around her and guided her inside as he said, "How did you like the reception?"

[Sorry, I kind of sped things up there.  I didn't want to move it too far ahead though so I figured the end of the reception was good place to end the scene.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

This song was deeper, more intimate then the previous. It was a symphony of sound meant to tease the mind and body. It encouraged the sensual, fluid movements of the body. Oh and how perfect they moved together. Perhaps not the perfect marriage partners, but in dance, there was a pure innate connection that transcended the physical. They moved together in what could only be called perfection. Each step, each liquid smooth motion was as if they had their dance choreographed and had rehearsed each step until they were as natural as breathing. The room had melted away long ago, leaving only the sound of the symphony and Atriane for her to focus on. The crowd they had drawn went unnoticed. Even the sound of her blue heels against the distressed wooden floors had been blocked out and buried deep. She gave this moment her full attention, him her full attention. Those blue eyes filled with excitement and a passion that could not be hidden even if she tried. She gave an almost embarrassed laugh as he complimented her on her skills as a dancer. She hadn't realized it had been so obvious. Though she wasn't sure why it matter if showed through. She had practice as a child, put forth so much effort in to being that girl from her childhood memory. "Practice makes perfect."

It was not long before the song winded to a close and the dance came to an end with a final dip. She rolled her body up against his as he pulled her back to her feet. For the first time since she stepped out on to the floor, her eyes wandered around the room at the faces of those that had gathered around them to stare idly, gapped mouth at their dance. They had caused quite the scene. If she weren't already flushed, she would have blushed. Adelaide's breathing was heavy and her heart raced with adrenaline as they crossed the dance floor back to the table. She was almost desperate to sit and catch her breath but that plan seemed out of the question as the voice of another interrupted them. Blue eyes cut across the room to the Viscount.  She knew of him and had heard stories of his exploits within the kingdom. Aloysius was a notorious playboy and in polite society, he was hardly welcome. Even as he spoke she suspected the rumors had a grain of truth to them. She stepped up to Atriane's side. Her right hand placed lightly on his upper arm for support as the scene seemed to get heated. The whole party seemed to be focused on them now. Aloysius wanted to upset him and it seemed he was doing a rather decent job of it.

It was Aloysius' comment that caused her blue eyes to narrow even more. "Timid little thing"; those were his words. She clenched her jaw as words filled her mind and sat poised on the tip of her tongue. Superior? Did he seriously believe himself superior? He wasn't fit to kiss Atriane's boots. She remained silent. Perhaps Adelaide was what he said, a timid little thing. But Atriane was hers. Even if she had not picked him, he was still hers. And for all serenity, lord knows, she was protective of her family. The eyes of the gawkers were no longer her concern, instead it was Atriane. As Aloysius turned, leaving with his little peones scuttling out behind him, she shifted to sit next to him. She tried to give him a soft smile. She wasn't sure if she should say anything or just simply leave it be. Adelaide remained silent, thinking it would be for the best. Instead, she simply slipped her hand in to his, lacing her delicate fingers with his. She gave his hand a soft supportive squeeze before looking back to the party. There was hundreds of eyes staring back at them. Awkwardness filled her face in the form of a soft pink blush to her cheeks. This would fill their gossip quota for the next month, she was sure.

The reception was drawing to a close. The crowd thinning little by little until only the stragglers were left. Adelaide followed Atriane as they showed the last few guests to the door and said their farewells. Belinda approached and Adelaide could feel the the familiar hot sting of tears filling her eyes. Belinda slipped her arms around her in a motherly hug before pulling back and putting her hands on her upper arm's. "Oh my little Addie, how you have grown! Think of your new life as an adventure. Do not worry, fate has sealed this from the beginning. Know you are on a path to the bigger picture." She kissed her cheek and they said their tearful goodbyes. Cecilia followed her and they hugged tightly. "I'm going to miss you, Wee. Not sure what I am going to do in the house by myself. I'm going to have to find some trouble to get in to, to keep myself occupied." Cilia said in tear filled voice. Adelaide sniffled back and gave a slightly watery grin. "I'm sure you will find a way to drive Belinda insane while amusing yourself. I have faith in you." She giggled lightly. They wiped the few tears that strayed from each others cheeks before Cecilia climbed in to the carriage. She stood there till the lanterns light disappeared completely from the distance.

Adelaide gave a soft sigh as she leaned against the door frame awaiting him to cross the patio to her. She couldn't help but feel that familiar feeling of forlorn once more. The emptiness of the situation that had been hidden behind cake, music and the promise of a good time was now lurking once more in the back of her mind. Soft blue eyes watched the distance for a little longer before turn her focus to him. He slipped his arm around her and guided her back in to the warmth of the house. Adelaide gave him a genuine smile as he asked about the reception. "I suppose it was not the worst experience I've ever had." The smile turned in to a playful grin as she paused to face him. "You, my dear Atriane, dance very well." She said as she gave his jacket lapels a gentle straightening tug in an absentminded fashion before smoothing them down. "Perhaps if there were more excuses to dance, the future parties would not be the worst experience as well." She tipped her head to the side as she grinned up at him. The same playful almost flirtatious tone in her voice.

"Though, I regret to say it has left me rather exhausted." She said it absently but after she said it. Realization seeped in to her thoughts. It was only Atriane and herself left. There were no more distractions. No more people to interrupt and nothing to run off to in a hurry. The silence grew between them as she turned from him, absently prowling around the area in which they had paused. Blue eyes, for the first time that night, actually looking at the house in which she would be living from now on. The same awkward question rose in her mind yet again. She glanced back at him in a cautious, assessing manner. Better to get it out in the open then to pussyfoot around the matter and continue to feel the oddness. She gave him another delicate smile. "Perhaps you should show me to my or our quarters. I would like to change in to something less... confining." She made a hand gesture towards to the tight blue gown she currently wore. "As lovely as it is, I can hardly breathe." The grin surfaced again. "Cilia always said if its not painful, its not fashionable. I suppose she was telling the truth..." She trailed off waiting for his reply...

(Its okie. There wasn't much left to do at the reception anyway. This post kinda ends abruptly. I didn't want to go much farther then that.)

Lion

The moment of fury ignited by Aloysius was already pushed back from his mind and already forgotten as what tended to happen to subjects that distressed Atriane.  He guided her to the foot of the main staircase that led to the upper floors in a great sweeping rightward arc.  He turned to her and listened with a smile on his face.  "Thank you," he replied.  "I'm sure that there will be plenty excuses and if it is excuses to dance that you want, you shall have them.  I intend to do all in my power to make you happy, as I promised before.  You won't be miserable at any gathering with me around, that you can be sure of."  The smile remained on his face as his eyes trailed down her hands tugging at his lapels then to smoothing them down.  There was something about her hands sliding down on his chest than made his heartbeat slightly faster and his pulse quiver.  He was quick to conceal it and his grin widened as he noticed the flirtatious note in Adelaide's voice.

Atriane refused to speak as she referred to her exhaustion and the fact that her dress was too tight.  His eyes did their own speaking.  His vigilance swept over her form, secretly admiring her form, dancing with dark thoughts and concealing itself in what might be read as amusement.  Even as the silence was almost deafening between them, he knew that the moment must have been growing awkward for her but still he said nothing.  He was leisurely in how he looked at her but still he could not help himself as being male and cursed with a lusty beast inhabiting his spirit would cause him to think such things and look at Adelaide with desire in his eyes.  Atriane knew what this moment was and that it was customary for husband and wife to share a bed on the first evening of their married life and he felt a rushing in his blood just thinking about it.  It seemed that fate would have it that they should find a moment alone together without anymore goodbyes, kisses, and tears to keep them apart.  Now the servants had all retired even the restless Argyle after he finished putting MacConway to sleep after his old battle wound was acting up again, leaving Atriane alone with Adelaide.  Forbidden thoughts ran rampant though his mind, things he would generally not think of let alone speak of.  But as a low growling pierced his thoughts, he soon realized that these desires were of the wolf and not his.  He knew the wolf wanted her in the same way he would want her if he loved her.  And while he lusted for her, it was only when he felt her heartbeat rush in tune with his.  His thoughts returned to catch Adelaide speaking.

Atriane immediately raised an eyebrow and answered her.  "As ever, you are correct.  I should, shouldn't I.  I'm sure that we both know that, customarily, a husband and wife share a room for the rest of their marriage and I wouldn't want to stray far from it.  You will sleep in my room, or rather, our room from now on."  His eyes traveled to her gown as she gestured towards it and moved towards her when he looked back at her face.  He moved closer to her and said simply, "That may be, but it suits you well enough.  Permit me."  With his closing statement he wrapped one arm around her and used the other to sweep her off her feet and into his arms, carefully cradling her with one arm beneath her knees.  He then swept up the stairs with swinging strides of his long legs and didn't miss a step.  In a sense he wanted to carry her over the threshold of what he wanted to become their bedroom.  Even though he did not love her, he did not intend for their marriage bed to be empty should the mood suit them.  He knew passion had to be mutually shared because only then would the inferno truly burn.

When he reached the third floor and turned into a corridor lit by a few gaslights, he made a quick note, "My valet had already moved your things into by bedroom and placed them in an orderly fashion so you should have no trouble in changing into something more comfortable.  I would not like to imagine the amount of stress involved in equipping a corset."  He laughed a little when he met the entrance to his bedroom, the door already ajar slightly and lit by the soft glow of a gaslight.  He pushed the door open with one leg and carefully carried Adelaide into the bedchamber.

Atriane's bedchamber was one of the larger ones in the castle and its decorations were tasteful, befitting his meticulous nature.  It was something of a combination of a bedroom and parlor for it had the four-poster bed and two chaise lounges and a few stuffed armchairs residing in a corner of the room.  The windows of his room over looked two of Rhododendron's most prized possessions: Its gardens to the left and stables to the right.  Beneath the bed, which was draped in luxurious sheets of the deepest scarlet, was a soft almost regal rug that was gentle to any foot.  In the corner of the chaise lounges resided a fireplace and a door that connected to the dressing room.  In the opposite corner was the door to the designated washroom.  Its look was refined and covered in elegant wallpaper, carrying it away from its traditional castle structure and to more of a modern wooden manor, but still the essence remained, giving it a strange air of mystery.

Atriane set her down and asked with only a hint of suggestive enclosure, "It would please me if you would let me help you change.  I'm sure it would be a pain to get of such a conforming gown without aid.  And furthermore, I would not mind it at all."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The silence was almost deafening as they stood looking at each other. She had felt his pulse jump and his heart bump quicken ever so slightly as she smoothed out his jacket. It had been such an absentminded gesture that she had almost ignored it and over looked it. Yet it seemed it was her turn. As he swept her up in his arms, she couldn't help but feel the familiar fluttery feeling when snuggly held against him as he carried her up the stairs. It was a romantic gesture, she thought. Though, she caught herself wishing the emotion that should of been there wasn't absent. The house was empty and quiet. The only lights were dim lamps place here and there in amidst the darkness of the hallway. It was almost fitting, as if fate were having a private laugh at their situation. It was like they were walking in to the unknown together. In to the darkness that would be their life. Bound together when it had not been so convenient to be so. Then before she knew it, they stood poised at the door.

Our Room. Adelaide had concluded that it would most likely be an "Our Room" situation. However, concluding it and now knowing it still didn't seem to dissipate the awkward feelings that were taking great pleasure in putting butterflies in her stomach. She wasn't quite sure how to get used to the idea. She was overall a rather private person. Enjoying the freedom of silence and solitude. Now, however, she would have that space invaded by someone. A male no less. Adelaide might have been rather innocent, but she knew what was expected of her on this night and perhaps every other night of her life. It was apart of the female duty. Still, it didn't help to smooth the nerves that seemed to be raw at the moment. It seemed that as of now, being in an empty room with him would bring an odd mixture of lust, desire and awkwardness. She simply wasn't sure exactly how to deal with them.

Even now, as she stood in the middle of his, no, their[/b] room, she couldn't quite make her heart steady and her nerves from standing on end. She could hardly notice the beauty and simplicity of the room. If she had been focused on exploring the room, she would have been impressed though not surprised. It fit him well. The style and colors were what she would have imagined for him. The hints of scarlet and the dark wood gave the feeling of a deep passionate person, for whom she knew he was. But she could not see the room. Those blue eyes, hazy with lust and desire, were on him. She wasn't sure how he had managed to worm his way in to her good graces. Or why she suddenly became so aware of him. The latter was something she wasn't quite ready to ponder. Had it not only been three weeks ago that she had left the market despising him? She couldn't quite place what had happened in the last 48 hours that made that feeling change. But at this moment, she wanted him. Perhaps it was only natural for her to want him. It was after all their wedding night. Yet, there was no emotion there. None of the emotions that should of been there were there. Her body was simply responding to his. She was a flesh and blood woman after all.

She wasn't sure exactly what to say. She knew she could not deny him this. It was his right as her husband. But she still felt shy about it. She gave him a soft smile and nodded in reply. Adelaide wasn't quite sure she could offer a coherent sentence as the moment that she had better stick to just the nods. She reached behind her back, long slender fingers tugging at the blue silk strings that laced up the back of the gown. With only a few tugs the dress loosened and slipped to the floor in a puddle at her feet. Adelaide kept her eyes on his face, almost trying to read his thoughts. She stood there, in nothing but her corset and chemise. She felt so exposed, so completely naked even if she still had her undergarments on. She wasn't sure what she wanted him to say or do nor what she didn't. Instead, she turned her back to him, gathering her blonde curls to one side and over her shoulder. She tilted her head slightly so she could talk over her shoulder. "Be careful of the laces. They will break. Just loosen it and I'll slip out." Her voice was quiet and toned for the intimacy of the moment. Her slender fingers played with her curls absently as she waited for him to unlace the corset and release her from the confining article of clothing.

Lion

Atriane's eyes swept over her form again, feeling that rush of blood in his veins that he knew was the wolf.  Yet, even now, as he watched her fingers trail to the ties of the dress on her back he knew that the lust he was feeling for her was becoming mutual with the wolf's desire.  If the beast had had its way and was not under Atriane's current control it would have thrown Adelaide upon the bed, torn her clothing off, and had its wicked way with her; all the while using his body.  Right now, feeling a low and dangerous growl echo in the back of his mind, Atriane almost wanted to as well.  He did think her beautiful at this moment, and perhaps the most attractive woman he had seen in his life.  He was quiet in his observations; it was said that silence was a sign that a man was thinking and at this moment Atriane was thinking alright.  Pondering on whether he should take her at this moment to satisfy himself and the wolf's desire, or keep his animalistic feelings at bay and refuse to succumb to making a prize out of Adelaide.  He knew that consummating his marriage were apart of his vows, his right as her husband to take her when he wanted, but, again on the subject of passion, he wanted the desire for one another to be shared.  Yet he realized that by doing so he would be partly carrying out the beast's command of using Adelaide as a mere object to gain satisfaction from instead of a person, a task Atriane had no intention of fulfilling.  But as he looked into her eyes he recognized the same desire he currently felt for her.  He wanted her, no doubt, and he would have her, not the beast.

Atriane was a modestly experienced lover as most young men his age were, spending their free time in brothels and getting to know prostitutes by names and wages.  These trysts were some of the best kept secrets of high society and would have made juicy gossip should they have been released.  The circle of these men was something of a secret society and thankfully one Atriane never joined.  Atriane's spirit, for the fire that he was, was enough to guide him in the ways of physical union; he could trust himself that he would know what to do.

He tossed his jacket off and as he crossed the small gap between them to aid Adelaide, he did so languidly, using his movements to draw upon the heat he detected from her eyes before she turned her back on him.  He nodded to her note about the laces and set his hands gently upon her shoulders, giving her skin only a light airy touch, perceptible enough to perhaps make her skin tingle.  They then drifted down to the knot and untied it as if he had been untying corsets his whole life.  Carefully he loosened the strings as she had instructed him to do, pulling at each loophole with an electric heat that emanated from his fingertips in short bursts tossing gently against the fabric of the corset.  He loosened one after the other, taking his time, until he finally reached the last loophole.  When that was complete he wrapped his arms around her front and undid the basque fastenings at the front of the corset in slow, heated movements while his face was around the side of her head.  As his hands reached the final fastening and undid it, his whole arm wrapped around her waist and his nose inhaled the scent of her hair.  His lips caressed her hair for a moment before kissing her temple and then her neck.

He stopped for a moment and braced his cheek to her head and then whispered in an intimate tone, "You say that you could love me, if only you found a reason.  Should fate have it, I trust that you will find one, my lady.  If I would love you, Adelaide, it would be for the fire that I feel in you, the spark that ignited when I kissed you at the altar and in your room and made the world disappear from my mind."  He paused in his short speech for a moment for already his mind was hazy and directed with only one clear intention.  He understood what he was to do and would carry out what would be his will and not the beast's.  Swiftly he twirled her around, careless about the corset when it fell to the ground.  Locking her to him with one arm wrapped around her back, he held her cheek with the other and sealed his eyes to hers.  There was fire in them as he looked at her with sincerity and scarcely concealed voracity that gnawed at him like a hunger.  In his same intonation, he completed, "You have shown me the passion in your soul before.  Show it to me again...  Kiss me, Adelaide.  Kiss me before I go mad."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn