Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not the greatest of fates (Private Siyengo)

Started by Anonymous, July 27, 2008, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Syaoran was dragged up onto the stage a chain that came up from the floor was attached to his collar  he shivered slightly at the large crowd of people looking at him. "Now look here ladies and gentlemen this young slave is in his prime, and look at those gorgeous gold eyes but rest assured there isn't a spec of demon blood in him, lets start the bid at 400 gold" the portly announcer shouted over the crowd. Syaoran whimpered softly his normal energetic behavior was replaced by fear he hated being sold he, if someone did buy him today he hoped it  would be better master than the last one he had , the one who would beat him for his own amusement and other things that made the teen's skin crawl. Sweat rolled down his face and his raven bangs stuck to his forehead, just his luck he would be chosen for the auction lineup on the most ungodly hot day of the year. Syaoran hoped this would be over soon so he  could get out of the blazing sun , he was starting to feel dizzy.

Anonymous

They were selling somebody up there, which caught Sage's attention immediately. Previously a slave himself, having come into money more through luck than anything, he sometimes liked to buy these poor souls' freedom. Carefully fastening the ties on his spice-satchels so that nobody in the crowd would be able to swipe them from beneath his thick grey travelling-cloak, he pushed through to the front and gazed up at the merchandise.

It was a young one this time, and looked somewhat healthier than others he'd seen - at the very least, it didn't have bald spots or maggots sticking out of holes in its hide - but it still had that distinctive thinness, and that dispirited look. Somebody had done well to get it here; the slave trade had been slow lately, for some reason, and most of the traders were lucky to get their hands on a body that was still breathing, let alone one that could actually work. That was why it was so overpriced, he suspected. It didn't look like it was worth four hundred. If he offered five hundred, he didn't think anybody would argue with him.

It wasn't unattractive, though. Squinting in the hot sunlight, Sage noticed the bright gold of its eyes. He'd never seen such a colour on a purebred human. If he didn't buy it, somebody else would, and it surely wouldn't be treated so well; the pretty young males never were, he knew that from experience.

Well, he thought, business had been good lately. He wasn't spending his money on anything useful. If he was going to do anything worthwhile today, then, why, let this be it.

Coughing politely, he raised his hand and called out, "Five hundred."

Anonymous

"Sold to the young gentleman in the gray cloak for 500" the dealer shouted and the crowd dispersed
Syaoran looked up from the ground to see who had bought him, he was a little older than Syaoran was probably in his 20's. He gasped slightly when the leash attached to his collar was tugged pulling him off the stage and to the claiming ground. But before he reached the bottom the dealer grabbed his hair and forced his head up " Now don't be doin' anything that might get you returned 'ya here don't make me have the headmaster teach you another lesson" he said in a tone the boy's skin crawl.   " Thank You for buying at our auction today sir , and if I may say so you've pick the finest one we have on the lot, problem is though he keeps getting returned it seems once they're done with him they have no use for him anymore" the dealer remarked with a greasy gap-toothed smile, handing  the man the leash.

Anonymous

Sage raised an eyebrow at the dealer as he took the slave's leash. They were always so jovial once they found out that their ridiculously high prices were going to be paid; he knew that the ones that crawled to the buyer were often the most unpleasant behind closed doors. With his free hand, he withdrew his gold and gave it up, not looking at his new purchase.

"My thanks for the business, sir," he said, coldly polite. "It's been a pleasure. Come, boy."

Pulling on the leash slightly, he towed the new slave away from the crowd. They parted before him, some trying not to meet his pale-green gaze, others snickering and making quiet bawdy comments behind their hands as they eyed the handsome boy in the collar amd wondered out loud what his new master had in store for him.

As soon as they were somewhere quiet, Sage reached down and undid the boy's collar, gripping one of his wrists firmly as he did so in order to keep his new purchase from slipping away. Before he released the slave, he had a few questions to ask - whether the lad could survive without him being among them - but he was especially curious about one thing.

"So," he said, keeping his voice nonchalant and his eyes fixed on the distant sky, still not looking at the slave. "'The finest one on the lot.' I see. I'll admit I'm interested in why nobody seems to be able to keep you for long... but, firstly, pray tell - do you have a name?"

Anonymous

Syaoran  followed as his leash was tugged trying to ignore the stares and snickers of the people he was passing. He yelp when his wrist was grabbed he closed his eyes anticipating a blow and was surprised when none came opening his eyes again he saw  his collar hanging limply in his new master's hand. Why would he take the collar off? Was this a trick?, all of a sudden the dizziness he felt from earlier his vision blurred he dimly heard the man saying something but couldn't make it out. Syaoran was able to catch part of his question though "Syaoran" he said his voice slurred swaying slightly, whoa that was weird all of a sudden there was 3 of everything.

OC: really crappy Sry

Anonymous

Startled, Sage caught the boy before he could fall. The poor creature must have been standing in the sun for hours.

"Well, Syaoran," he said, his tongue stumbling slightly on the strange syllables that had come from a language that wasn't his; he wondered where the slave hailed from, "I think I'd best get you home. Don't try to stand, you're most probably sun-struck. We can discuss things later."

Easily hefting the boy's half-starved body, he arranged him into a comfortable position and set off, carrying him over his shoulder like a rolled-up carpet. As he walked, he eyed the ink-black hair and wondered again where Syaoran had come from - that hair and those eyes had a rare colour, this far north.

He took Syaoran to the room that he had rented, and laid him carefully on the bed. For a moment, he considered whether to change the sweat-sodden clothing, but decided against it - that could wait for later, it would seem suspicious to the poor frightened creature if he was changed while he was asleep. Instead, Sage went to the kitchen and mixed up a pan of heavily-spiced molten chocolate, and waited for Syaoran to wake.

Anonymous

11 yrs ago
"Mother!" a 5yr Syaoran ran towards a woman with black hair like him but her eyes were brown instead of gold " I picked these for you mother" Syaoran said as he held out of a handful of wild flowers, the woman smiled taking the flowers from the small hand and placing her hand on his head " They're beautiful my little Syao , Thank you" Syaoran smiled but just then his mother disappeared along with the field and he was left standing in pitch blackness "Mother?! Where did you go? Mother!"

Syaoran opened his eyes slowly finding himself lying on a soft bed ,he was tempted to go back to sleep he hadn't slept in a real bed since he was a young child then a spicy smell hit his nose and thirst overpowered his want for sleep. Sitting upright he put his bare feet on the floor and walked into the kitchen. Seeing the man who had bought him, Syaoran reached up to feel around his neck his collar was still gone he thought for sure that his new master would have put it back on once he passed out , the teen wondered why not.  The sweet spicy smell hit him again reminding him again he was extremely thirsty. "what is that?" the teen asked slowly.

Anonymous

((OOC: Gah, I'm SO sorry! I got unexpectedly grounded for a week and couldn't even get onto a computer to say I wouldn't be around. But I won't be doing anything bad for a while, so I'm in the clear now, I swear.))

Putting the chocolate-covered spoon down on the bench, Sage turned his head and saw the boy standing in the doorway. He looked a bit better than he had before, but that might not last; there was no way of knowing how long he had gone without being able to eat or sleep properly, so they would have to make sure that he would be alright on his own before he was released. Slowly, Sage retrieved a pair of bowls from the cupboard.

"Hello, Syaoran," he said, setting them down on the bench. The hot chocolate was bubbling, so he took it off the stove and poured a bit into each bowl. It wasn't very nutritious, but he knew that what the boy probably needed now was something hot and sweet. "I made some chocolate for you. Are you hungry?" Earlier, he had bought a small wooden box full of biscuits from a woman at a market. There weren't many crops around these frozen parts and the biscuits were mostly made from ground starch - they were brittle and tasted like cardboard - but they were the best he could find, and chocolate made everything better. He took the box out and opened it.

"Sit down," Sage said, nodding toward the kitchen table. "Make yourself comfortable." Sitting down himself, he set the bowls and box on the tabletop and regarded Syaoran coolly. It wouldn't do to get attached - it hurt when he got attached - but surely no harm could come of asking the boy a few questions; he was curious, and slaves always had good stories to tell.

He looked him up and down. They really would have to change those clothes.

"I heard you talking in your sleep-" he started to say, before cutting himself off. That might be a little too private. Instead, he asked, "Tell me, then - where do you come from? I'd like to know a little bit about you." He paused. "Sit down, please. Eat something. I shan't hurt you."

Anonymous

( Lol well that's good! :D  Don't worry about that happens to me sometimes too :? )

Syaoran stomach nearly flipped with joy at the sight of the chocolate but his past experiences kept him from devouring it right then and there. Cautiously he sat down in the chair still waiting for Sage  to do something to him. Hearing the mans confession about him talking in his sleep made him blush scarlet. Then hearing the other question he went rigid he didn't like talking about his past but if he didn't he might get punished even though Sage said he wouldn't hurt him the teen was still suspicious that he was telling the truth. " A small country to the south" he answered taking two of the biscuits and putting them in his mouth. His gold amber eyes watching the man who had bought him warily.  He gagged a little at the taste , picking up a spoon he tasted some of the molten chocolate that at least got the starchy taste out of his mouth.

Anonymous

((OOC: Okay. We've had exams, grounding, lack of internet access, log-in glitch, and the page randomly refusing to load and taking my post with it. All that can go wrong has gone wrong and now nothing more will go wrong. Hopefully.))

Sage noticed the colour rise in Syaoran's cheeks, and made a mental note that the boy's dreams were obviously a touchy subject. He wouldn't pry in future. Besides, it wasn't wise for him to probe that deeply into another's subconscious; the last thing he wanted was to get attached to somebody who would only be with him for a very short time, if the gods be good.

Taking his bowl of chocolate, he dipped a biscuit in and ate it. He smiled at Syaoran. "That chocolate is for eating, you know. It's not poisonous, see?" Perhaps he needed a little encouragement. Sage leant forward, took another biscuit, dipped it, and gently slipped it into Syaoran's mouth. "There. You're looking better already."

That done, he leant back in his chair and cracked his knuckles. Carrying the slave back from the market had made his back hurt; he reflected that he was lucky Syaoran was only a half-starved little wisp of a thing.

"A country to the south," he repeated. "Well, I also come from the south. Everything, of course, is south of Hyoite, but..."

Taking some more chocolate, he regarded Syaoran in silence for a few seconds. Those eyes truly were exquisite. He was curious about them. Surely it wouldn't hurt to ask; knowing whether the produce was pure-bred was a basic right of all slave-owners, so Syaoran was probably expecting it.

"You have striking eyes," Sage said with a smile. "I heard what that squat fool up at the market said, but still... tell me, are you truly pure-bred? You don't look entirely human."

Anonymous

Syaoran swallowed the food that had slipped into his mouth. He blush deepened when the man said he had striking eyes " Um thank you, I'm pretty sure I am" he replied. Come to think of it his mother always quickly changed the subject when it came to his heritage he eventually stopped asking assuming he was , truthfully he had forgotten but now it brought up ancient questions what had his mother been trying to hide from by not telling him. "So what about you , if you don't mind" the teen asked normally he wouldn't dare from fear of a beating or something worse.

Anonymous

An abrupt subject change. Obviously this, too, was a sensitive topic. What a wary little stray this boy was, Sage thought, gazing at him; he was truly piquing his new owner's curiosity, but the questions would probably all go unanswered. There was nothing wrong with that, he thought. Nothing wrong with a little bit of mystery.

"Me? I was born in Connlaoth." As for his own past, that topic had lost its ability to sting him long ago. Still, as he spoke, he nervously untied his long blond hair and tied it up again without realising he was doing it; that done, he pressed his fingertips hard against the tabletop. "Now I sell herbs and spices... I do good business up here, they need a bit of flavour, the only things that grow here are potatoes." He smiled. "I spent a few years herding sheep... whored myself out for a while..."

Falling silent, he shrugged loosely and ate another biscuit.

"I'm not very exciting," he admitted. "Nowhere to go, nothing in particular to do. I just wander around."

The back legs of his chair scraped against the floor as he stood up. Chilly, he shivered slightly. His saucepan full of chocolate had congealed already - the days were so cold here - into an unappetising brown lump; he threw a bit of muslin over it and stored it in the cupboard. He could take it with him when he moved on. There were gangs of feral children on the road; chocolate was always useful when he wanted them to leave him alone. Children were the same everywhere.

"Come with me," he said, and went to the bedroom. Rummaging around in the cupboard, he pulled out a bulky hooded coat. It was suede, lined with fur, and it smelt of spice; it was Sage's favourite, but the poor waif needed it more than he did. He handed it to Syaoran. "Here, take this. You look cold." He paused. "Now we have to decide what to do with you."

Anonymous

"Wh..at to do with me?" Syaoran whispered stutterly after putting the coat on it was big on him hanging off his skinny frame. He wondered what the man meant , he was the only person to him kindness for as long as Syaoran could remember, he tried to not panic but after years in the slave system he had come to expect the worse he began to hyperventilate "what do you mean by that?" he asked his voice sounding like he had just run a marathon.

Anonymous

Concerned, Sage reached out and touched Syaoran's shoulder gently. The poor, frightened little thing looked like he expected to be eaten at any moment.

"It's alright," he said hastily. "I'm not going to hurt you. Come. Sit down."

He moved the blanket aside and sat down on the bed.

"I buy slaves," he explained, gazing at Syaoran, "but I'm not a slave-master. I know what it is to be a slave, and I would never wish that on anybody. If you're well enough to go out on your own, I can take you to any city you choose - like I said, I just wander, I have no destination - and you can make your own way there." He forced himself to smile. "What I meant was, do you feel you could set out alone? If not, you may travel with me until you're feeling better - not as a slave, but as a companion."

The thought of having somebody with him on the roads was a tempting one, but nonetheless, he hoped that Syaoran would want to be released. Spending too much time with any one person was an unhealthy habit.

Anonymous

" I'd like to go with you if that's okay" Syaoran answered the thought of a life free of cruel masters and collars sounded wonderful but he didn't know very much of the world  aside from what he remembered as a child being a slave he was prohibited from wandering freely. He would probably be recaptured if he stayed here on his own the dealers would probably think he was a runaway. Plus he felt comfortable with the man he was different from the previous men he had experiences with.  Syaoran also felt something else inside him but he didn't know what it was. He was a little shocked that  the other had been a slave also " How did you become a slave? were you born into it?" Syaoran asked without thinking , " I'm sorry" he whispered quickly looking down at his hands.

Anonymous

Sage blinked at the question, then smiled. Of course the boy was curious. Had he thought that he wouldn't be curious?

"It was a series of stupid accidents on my part," he said, with a slight chuckle. "I decided that I wanted to wander the world and make my fortune, I made a few errors, ran out of money, ran out of food... and, well, things went from there."

He abruptly walked back to the kitchen. Even if Syaoran didn't follow him, it was a small house, and things said in one room could be easily heard in another. Sage liked small houses. Taking his bottles of spice from the top shelf, he began to sort through them, checking what he was running low on and what he had too much of. The bottle of dried garlic was still almost full; the coriander seeds were running low; the minced fireweed was almost empty, he noticed. He would have to return to Serendipity or Adela and see whether any merchants had some more in stock - which would be horrendously expensive - or, perhaps, he would go to the desert to buy some cheaper. He would have to ask Syaoran.

So he had a travelling companion. That would do something to ease the loneliness, at least. Sage made a mental vow not to let Syaoran grow too comfortable with him, while still being kind; as soon as they were in the big city, the boy would probably find somebody else to live with, and Sage could go on his way alone. That would be the kindest thing. He was bad luck - no pretty young thing deserved to have to live with him.

"So," he said, picking up the dropped conversational thread from earlier. "That's my story." It wasn't, not entirely, but it was close enough; all the basic details were more-or-less right. "I'd like to hear yours... only if you're comfortable telling it, though. How did you end up on sale like some piece of cheap meat?"

He handed Syaoran a pinch of fireweed to chew while he was deciding whether to tell or not. "Here, eat this, it warms the stomach. Don't let it sit too long on your tongue, though. It's spicy stuff."

Anonymous

Syaoran took the spice and popped it in his mouth chewing it then swallowing , he remembered this spice his mother used to have it growing in her garden and would make cookies and such with it. He looked up at the man who had been so kind to him " Not really" he said not wanting to sound rude Sage had shared his though it was painfully clear he left some details out, but it probably wasn't paved in greedy bloodshed like his was.

( *sobs* my posts are so short! :oops: )