Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stolen (Open)

Started by Anonymous, February 25, 2009, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was nice and sunny outside, and Inania didn't want to be anywhere else but out in it. She'd spent half the morning gathering things up for a miniature picnic - some day-old bread, a little cheese, and a flask of fresh water. It wasn't her idea of a great meal, but it was portable enough to be folded into the cloth she planned to sit on.

By the time she'd finished, it seemed half the town was out and about, probably trying to enjoy the day the way she wanted to. She dodged foot traffic, weaving in and out of passerby, until she got to a spot that seemed would be quiet, a good thinking spot. She unpacked her things and set her backpack down, getting ready to spread out and...

She'd hardly made herself comfortable when she noticed something missing. It didn't take her long to realize it was her bag.
"Thief! she yelled at no one in particular as she jumped up to see who it was. She saw nothing, no sign of the familiar worn leather bag she'd been carrying for the last several months.

"Come back here with that!" Inania took off, thinking she'd spotted the culprit until she bounded right into them. She never saw them stop, and she also never saw that the bag was not hers. "Give it back, please," she begged, tugging at it. It wasn't like it was very valuable, or even that it had much of anything in it, but it had belonged to her father. "Give me the gosh darn bag back!"

Anonymous

On a nearby bench, a solid man was sitting, surrounded by the scent of the middle-class. He was staring at the sky, observing the movements of rare clouds, sometimes glancing at the Sun. He sometimes scribbled a word or two in a leather-bound book. Just notes, thoughts, ideas:
    "The Sun, how strange this might sound, is nothing less, nothing more than a spherical mass of the essence of Pure Fire."
    "As such, there MUST be a way to channel its energy."
    "Fire, Fire, your power holds many secrets."
    [/list]
    He looked up once again and suddenly a thought entered his mind.. Something original. Something new. Something revolutionary. A smile appeared on his face, his quill touched the paper...

BAMM. "THIEF!"

It was all gone. He got distracted. A girl with a piercing voice was shouting some thing or another about her bag, an act of theft. The smile disappeared. Sigfrid, for he was the man, stood up to examine the situation. His short-sighted eyes had a hard time focusing, therefore he didn't notice a short, bulky figure running in his direction.

Apparently, the bulky figure either had problems with his eyesight too or was distracted, and slammed straight into Sigfrid. They both stumbled to the ground. The shrieking girl got nearer. Sigfrid's brain started to act. He caught the stranger's (and possible thief's) leg and bit it. That simple. Action-reaction, effect and cause, whatever; even a philospoher like Sigfrid has uncontrollable movements. His hand reached for the bag the short man was carrying. And grasped it. The thief let out a painful cry - no, not  a cry. It was more along the lines of a shriek, the kind rats produce when in danger.

This comparassion wasn't far from the truth. The thief was a skinny, dirty man with the head of a rat. Sigfrid has read about such before. Rat-kin, inhabitants of sewers and canals. Thieves, cutthroats. A plague on the skin of decent citizens. Or rather: under the skin. They rarely get out of their stinky holes, especially in daylight. This one must have been chased by hunger, thirst or simple fear.

The rat was moving rapidly and swiftly, but Sigfrid didn't let go. "Here, I'm holding the pesky thing down!!" he yelled to the vistim of the theft. Not only to notify her, but also because he was not feeling in the right condition to fight an agile, hunger-driven man-like rat.

//Okay, first post here. I hope everything's fine.//

Anonymous

(Sorry! I got bogged down the last few days!)

Inania's features contorted as she saw the face face of the man? creature? It looked like a rat or something, but it couldn't possibly be, could it? Her eyes quickly darted from the rat-thing to the man holding them down, and then to her bag, which she reached for, ready to pry it from cold, dead hands if need be. It felt like it might come to that, but the strap he was holding onto came loose from the buckle as she tugged violently at the backpack.

Whoever was helping her, she'd have to thank, even if the culprit was about to break free. If it wasn't for him, she'd either still be running or the guy would have gotten away. It didn't take long for him to wriggle away, limping, and she wanted so badly to give him a piece of her mind, to wrangle every bit of his thieving ways out of his system... but it was too late for that now. Once she had it free, she immediately inspected the bag, refastened the leather strap and checked the contents. If he'd fished anything out of it, it wasn't much, and she couldn't tell, anyway.

Inania turned her attention toward the fellow that had apprehended the robber. "Thank you," she told him, almost apologetically. Obviously this wasn't something one looked forward to in their day, but she hoped this hadn't put a damper on his.

"Are you hurt?" Her words came out slow and over-enunciated, as if she wasn't sure he spoke the language. Maybe he didn't, one could never be too careful. "Did... he... hurt... you?" She thought that might've been too slow, even to someone that didn't understand. "Sorry."

Anonymous

Sigfrid felt relieved when he finally got the chance to let hold and stand up. He felt a certain stinging pain in his muscles - he wasn't used to fierce (fierce for him) mêlée after all. He straightened his back and examined his clothing. His robe was torn in one place, but nothing extreme, a few stiches would fix that. He patted of the dust and dirt, and his attention turned to the one whose belongings he'd just saved.

A bit of a surprise. And colours. Lots of them. A swirling chaos of blues and reds and emeralds, of all scales and spectres (visible and invisible too, he thought to himself). First in his life he felt ashamed for his dull and dark robes, plain clothing.

Blue skin, that's something you don't see everyday.

"Oh, I'm fine, don't worry", he answered. He understood the language, of course he understood. He was a man of knowledge, a scholar. A bit shocked by light concussions and a swirl of colours, but still. There are some thing he never forgets. Languages, for one.
    A pity that that smart method of channelling the Sun's energy and converting it to something different slipped out of his mind. This idea may have just been lost for ages. For generations. For centuries.

Nevermind, he told to himself, there are many great discoveries to be made: let this be someone else's honour.

"Is anything missing? These rat-kin are really getting dangerous nowadays... Usually they just hide out in their holes and eat rubbish. They are afraid of light. Especially sunlight. According to the theory of Rufus Kewel, the skin and eyes of such creatures contain a certain fluid which darkens, changes colour rapidly when under sunlight. But I have no intention to bore you to Death, young lady."

He bowed, as deep as his aching spine let him. "I am Sigfrid, to your service. And what your name shall be, if I might ask?"

Anonymous

"You sure? I'm a faith-healer... might not be much but I can help if you need..." If he was hurt, as she suspected he might have been - her distrusting nature rarely allowed her to believe what she was told - he hid it well.

Inania dug through her satchel again, but shook her head. Supplies, journal, sketchbook, extra clothes, stash... it was all there. "No, I reckon he didn't think he'd get caught. Or something." She shifted her weight a little, uncomfortable beneath his gaze. She hoped he wasn't one of those weirdos that liked younger girls... one never could be too careful.

The bracelets at her thin wrists tinkled as she crossed her arms somewhat defiantly; it wasn't that she wasn't grateful for what he'd done, she just wasn't very warm towards much of anyone she couldn't read very well. "Inania," she finally supplied after a long moment's silence. "Just... just passing through." She briefly thought to ask about her mother, but thought better of it for the time being. He could've been just passing through too, for all she knew.

"You're a writer?" she questioned, bending to pick up the leather-bound tome. "Unless this isn't yours...?" Now she was curious, considering she had her own book like this, though hers was filled with intricate doodles, hardly something she'd ever show to another living, breathing mortal.

Anonymous

"A faith-healer? Now that I think about it, my faith in Humanity does need some healing", risked a little joke Sigfrid, just to break the ice. "Don't worry, I have some pain, but it's nothing serious. Time will heal it."

A faith-healer, he thought to himself, that's someone you don't meet every day.

"Passing through.. according to some religions of the South, we are all just passing through. For instance, a Moraki nomad shaman once told me, that their ancestors believed this existence to be barely a phase before Death and what follows. Only after the Death of the body does the Soul gain Knowledge and Power - on different plains, though."

Sigfrid stopped to take a deep breath. Who knows, the girl might not be interested in lengthy detailed description of long-gone belief-systems. He decided to leave the spiritual and return to the material. Especially that he had questions to answer and introduction to make.
    "Inania it is. I am Sigfrid. And no, I am not a writer - even though I scribble a lot in that book that caught your attention. I'm a Scholar, a Seeker of Wisdom."

He flipped his book open at a random page and showed it to Inania. There were a few intersecting lines and a circle, with lots of numbers and letters and obscure symbols.
    "My drawing might seem a bit confusing, but this is nothing but the city plan of Ketra, the capital of Adela. The city's old centre was all built according to simple yet genius mathematical and metaphysical proportions. This way the founders tried to achieve a maximally safe and ideal place to live and die in."
    His long fingers pointed to a few places on the map.
    "These are towers - but not simple sentry towers or watchtowers. These are supposed to be focuses of magical defense. The invisible web between these buildings created a field FULLY defended from fire. Ketra shall not burn."
    Then he pointed to a small circle in the southern part.
    "Unfortunately, modern people don't know about this higher concept. A few years ago they tore down one of the towers to build a new office for the city administration. Next year half of the city centre was destroyed by a fire..."

Sigfrid closed the book. Something strange appeared in his eyes. Sadness? Probably.
    "That's why I want to gather as much knowledge as possible. To make the world a better place."

He smiled. "I hope I don't bore you..."

Anonymous

The joke wasn't lost on her, and she finally eased up a bit, cracking a smile. "In that case, I might need some healing myself. Guess we'll have to wait til that kind of thing physically manifests... we might be in for it then, though." Shortly after, she gave him a short nod, letting him know it would worry her no more. "It's the least I could offer, I didn't see anyone else biting some rat-man for a stranger."

Inania listened intently to the man waxing philosophical, wondering whether or not she should take him seriously. "How does the soul go on without a physical body, though?" Religion had never been one of her strong points, and though she highly doubted she had a high enough competence of it to turn what had been said into a debate, she intended to pursue what came out of her question; she did truly want to know.

"Ah," she said simply, looking at the book with wide eyes, searching out every line, every stroke, embedded into the paper. Without his mentioning, she'd have never guessed it was a city plan, but the city in question sparked her interest. "You have been to Ketra?" The codger might be useful after all, she thought, goal firmly in place in her mind. She'd ask him later, she decided; it seemed much too early in the conversation to ask if he'd ever met a Dvoraki dancer in his travels...

"Maximally safe and ideal sound far-fetched, sir, do they not? I guess I don't believe in there being a Utopia, but that ol' faith in humanity thing has me skeptical. How can one be sure it's safe from the inside? Couldn't some opposing force disguise themselves among the people? Blend in?" It's what she would have done, and it certainly was what she thought her father would have done, if the situation ever arose. (Obviously her interests did not lie in whether or not the city burned.)

"That's a very noble goal, sir," she admitted, quite honestly. "Don't we all want that, after a fashion?" Her braid swung as she shook her head quickly and took a seat on the bench Sigfrid must have been sitting on before the debacle. "Quite the opposite. What do you learn from these plans? Or rather, what do you, personally, gain from them, if I may ask? And what of the other elements? Are those not taken into account?"

In reality, she didn't quite know why she had all of a sudden become so inquisitive. Was it because the eccentricity of being a scholar, of city plans and of travels intrigued her more than she cared to admit? Perhaps, but her guard was down now, and she was asking things she might not want to know the answers for. Hey, if anything, she mused, it may make good fodder for a story.

Anonymous

"Forget it. The rat-kin's gone for good, nothing you posess is missing, everything's back to normal. Why don't we just take a sit over there?", aksed Sigfrid, pointing to the bench he had been sitting on.

"Religion, as you might understand, requires faith. Faith in a predetermined conception: the ancient Morakians treated their body as a prison, an anchor... I hope it's clear for you. They placed the Soul, as an individual entity, over the Body. According to their believes, the Soul can, furhter, the Soul must after Death leave this "prison" and pass on to different planes."

He stared at his own drawing for a moment, sort of admiring it. Bathing in his own wisdom? Not really. He was just really proud of this exact piece, it took him almost a year of research to figure out.

"Yes, dear lady, I spent a fair amount of time in Ketra. A magnificient place - but only a shadow of its past, I'm afraid to say. The history I told you proves this all too well. Ketra's recent habitants stick only to the minor traditions and practices; most of which have a pretty solid base, but it's not everything."
    He laughed silently for a short time. It looked quite strange, this voiceless chuckle. Nothing frightening, just remotely weird.
    "The cornerstone of a Utopia is Man. But Man without Knowledge is powerless. If the citizens of Ketra knew about the importance of the southern tower, they may not have torn it down, they may not have caused a mayhem of fire.
    I might seem an idealist... To a certain extent I am. But I know that a perfect society is not a mere system. It's the state of mind of its People."

What does he personally gain from his studies? Science and the search for knowledge made up Sigfrid's life. They and afternoon-naps. So this is what he answered:
    "Each single piece of Knowledge, no matter how tiny, is like a breath of fresh air for me. This is my life. Most of these studies are for me. They need to be refined, cleaned and poured into a new form - a form that can be understood by everyone, not just me."
    He closed his precious book.
    "And, oh, to all stars above... All these things about religions of long-gone people. All these bastions, left to us by long-dead, no longer moving hands of old masters... They never cease to amaze me. I have a thirst for this kind of thing. I cannot live without them."

He sat down on the bench and kept silent for some time. He enjoyed the Sun. What were those ideas?..- he couldn't remember. Maybe later. Also, the young lady raised some fairly interesting issues.
    "The towers of Ketra were just a part of a bigger, wholer system of defence. While they stood, their arcane, silent, hidden powers didn't let great fires to happen. Of course, they had nothing to do against the other side of Human Nature: all things dark, all the intriques, theft... The towers stopped the fires but not the arsonists."
    He glanced up at the Sun.
    "A Utopia is impossible. The world is not a piece of clean paper."

He once again flipped his book open, now on an empty page. He produced a long piece of coal and placed it firmly on the paper. His hand moved slowly, slowly, and soon a circle appeared. Then he divided into two parts with a single line.

"This is a utopy. A utopic city plan. People live in the right part. People die in the left part."

His hand made a nervous movement, and the coal left a few chaotic marks in the circle.

"This is nothing you can imagine to be in the world we live in. And honestly, I don't want to live in this world. But improvements can be made. Not in the direction of a two-sided circle... of course. Better homes, cleaner water, healthier people - this would be better for everyone, and with Knowledge, we can reach these "idelas". See?"

Sigfrid let out a deep sigh.