Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You don't always get what you expect [open]

Started by Anonymous, October 09, 2009, 09:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Than sat at a table in one of the slightly more reputable (if there was such a thing) taverns in Zantaric, carefully wrapping small silver coins in cloth and placing them into several small pouches. Any other nine year old might have been swinging his legs under the bench or sticking his tongue out in an attempt to look like a picture of intense concentration, but Than knew better than to do either of those things. Holding silver in Zantaric was dangerous enough, but being a stripling of a boy and drawing attention to yourself whilst holding silver in Zantaric was a sign of either lunacy or suicidal tendencies.

Of course, Than wasn't any old nine year old boy. He was perhaps the youngest person in Zantaric, since most mothers preferred to raise their children away from dodgy dealings and crime, and he had lived in the village-town since he was a few months old. It hadn't been an easy upbringing, but given what he was it was a lot easier than some might have had it. A stiletto knife was stick to the table by his hand, the hilt pared down to fit his smaller hands, and lightning flickered around the blade without his even having to think about it. His feet rested on the floor of the tavern, since he was closer in size to a twelve year old than a nine year old with long lanky legs and a slim muscular build rather than one covered with puppy fat. Night-sky blue eyes occasionally glanced around the room, looking out from a sharply angled face with skin that was a charcoal grey as befit a shadow elf. Not that Than was a shadow elf, but his mother had been, and that was enough to stain his skin that colour as he spent more and more time in the sun. His hair was the same colour as his eyes, cropped as the back but hanging in thin braids along the line of his jaw, with silver charms jingling as he carefully moved his head around.

He was waiting for someone. His father hadn't told him who, but he guessed that they wanted something to do with necromancy. Already his father had traveled to the old temple site, with orders for Than to follow when the right person showed up. No description of the right person had been given, no name, nothing that might help at all, but Than guessed that they would recognise him. Unlike most in Zantaric, after all, Than had a family name and a crest. His clothing today was made of a satin-like material in the same charcoal grey colour as his skin, with a night sky blue cloak resting next to him and a crest with a lightning bolt sewn into his tunic above his heart. His father always was one for making first impressions count, although Than was just as good as fading into the shadows as he was at standing out.

Still waiting, he clicked his fingers and handed one of the small pouches to the serving girl who placed a cup on his table in silence. The viscous liquid inside was blood cut with red wine, a potent drink for any child but the only thing that Than would drink in this place. He didn't ask where they got the blood; unlike his father he wasn't a complete blood snob. His father wouldn't even touch wine, which was the main reason why Than had started making sure that he mixed his blood with the stuff. He took a sip without comment as the serving maid fled, since he was quite used to people fleeing from him. It was his father's fault, since whatever soul a child was meant to have had been all but eclipsed by whatever magic it was that had been done to make sure Than stayed alive. The youngster found it amusing that a necromancer would fear for his son's life, but given the talents blooming within him it was perhaps understandable that the old man would worry. Not that he ever said he did, of course. Necromancers were supposed to be learned and emotionless creatures, perhaps even morbid or macabre. But Than knew it any way. His dreams were far too vivid to be just dreams, but his father discouraged talk of such things. Than was what he was, and he would have to learn to deal with that himself as he got older. As he was getting older now, just waiting. How long could a person take to get to Zantaric any way?

Anonymous

A dark figure strode through the streets. His hood was up, concealing most of his face. His dark cloak blew gently in the slight breeze. His presence hinted power, knowledge, and the man in general was shrouded in mystery. Everything about him was a slight bit odd in a way. Who was he? What was he doing here?

A man glared at him. He said, "Beasts shouldn't take the form of a human. Beasts are dangerous things to be used." The hooded man lifted the hood from his eyes without taking it off and said, "Just because I have a tail, wings, or fangs doesn't make me a beast. It's not the appearence, but it is the mind that seperates beast from being." The other man snorted. "If something doesn't have a human form, it is not a human. Simple. Now, leave this place." The hooded man glared at him. "I have a place I must go. Don't get in my way, as you will regret it." The man snorted again. "Really." The hooded man shoved the other man aside with a considerable amount of force. Then, he knocked him out. "That's what you get for doubting my power.."

Ignorant people. Who were they to say he was a monster?
They said that he was an accident waiting to happen, a loose monster, a dangerous individual. Who were they to say that he was one, two, or all three? He was who he was, and that was all that mattered. Who cares if he has a tail? The demon part of him was not a thing he was willing to get rid of. At all. It was most helpful at times. It gave him a power that most didn't have. He liked being different.

Phoenix Tell turned a corner and entered a tavern. He looked around. Was who he was looking for there? He scanned everyone with eyes once again concealed by a hood and found who he was looking for. He walked with smooth strides over to the boy sitting at the table and simply said, "hello. I assume you are the one waiting for me...?"

Anonymous

Than's abilities with magic were limited despite what some would consider a family propensity for the subject. Of course he was still only a child, but he had developed other skills than magic to go with the conjurations he could come up with. However, he still had the ability to sense the use of magic, and to sense beings of a magical nature. As a result he was already packing away his coins when the tall figure ducked into the tavern, and had finished his drink before the man crossed the room to stand before him. People looked up, then abruptly looked away and forgot what they had seen; this was Zantaric, after all, and if it wasn't your business you shouldn't try and make it your business.

"Indeed, sir," he said, standing up and giving a small bow. "My father has already gone on ahead to the temple."

He didn't bother to scrutinise how his father's acquaintance looked; he had no right to, even if he didn't have a tail or wings. His father had wings sometimes, if you looked from the right angle, but Than didn't think that the older man knew that he knew about them. Than knew he didn't have the same thing; he guessed he would know if he did. His balance didn't take into account any wings at least.

"My name is Than, sir. Unless you wish to drink, might I suggest that we join my father?"

Anonymous

Hm. What an interesting child.

Phoenix knew that the child was different in ways other than appearence, but he didn't question it. Why question what may better be left unknown? When the child said his name was Than, he nodded. He glanced at his black dragon-like wings. He probabaly should of made them dissapear before he went in, but that may have just not helped much. He looked at Than and nodded again. "Let's go." As they walked off, he began to become frustrated at something that nobody else could see. It was a spirit, hovering not so far away. It was stalking him around for some reason; he had no idea what it's problem was, it just kept following him around. It knew he could see and hear it, allthough nobody else could. He sighed. It would be quite odd to be waving his hands around, talking to someone that nobody else could see or hear. His tail twitched with his annoyance.

Anonymous

When he was given the agreement to leave, he pulled on his cloak and raised his hood, storing the pouchs of silver in the hem of the material to weigh it down a little. His father got annoyed when he started flourishing the cloak around, so had insisted on this method of storage for some indefinite length of time. he led the man outside, his eyes glancing around until they landed on something, then ran past it, then returned. He looked at his father's acquaintance with a raised eyebrow, not commenting on it. He could see things that some people couldn't, although the things he saw weren't always aware that he could see them. Apparently this thing was aware that his father's friend could see him, so it was bothering him. Around the temple there were more things to be seen, and hopefully they wouldn't bother him too much. Some of them could be quite creepy, so much so that a humanesque being with wings and a tail was nothing. Than didn't scare easily, there was no point in it according to his father.

"Are you OK, sir?" he asked, pleasantly enough. "You seem bothered by something."

Anonymous

Phoenix snapped out of his annoyed thoughts. "Hm? Oh, I'm fine. It's..nothing." He shook his head and tried to not think about the spirit. However, it was making a face at him. It shouted mocking words. It was really irritating him, but he didn't show it. He ignored the persistant spirit and continued on to his destination. Today...was just not his day. Spirits didn't scare him much at all; just sometimes they annoyed him. He had seen things that would make most people scream and run away. Fast.

"Go away, you irritating spirit."He mumbled the words so the passerbys couldn't hear. His power of seeing these things was as much as a gift as it was a curse. If he ever had bad enough a situation to have to kill someone, their spirit might just find him and stalk him and bother him. However, this spirit was not. It was just a bored spirit of someone he didn't know, that had nothing better to do. He ignored the spirit now, getting used to its presence. He mumbled something too quiet to understand, and the spirit dissapeared. He relaxed. For a moment, there was almost a surge of some kind of power in the air as he sent the spirit away. The people nearby looked up from what they were doing, or ignored it. Some gave a wary glance around and returned to their previous action.

Anonymous

Obviously the man didn't want to talk about whatever it was that was bothering him. Soon there was a burst of magic, and Than shifted uncomfortably as the shimmering air of spirit thing disappeared. Even the less magically inclined inhabitants of Zandaric - and there were a few of them - noted it, which made Than a little nervous. some people got nervous about magic, even in a place like Zandaric.

"As you say, sir," he said, carefully. "There are many spirits around the temple, you may want to prepare for that."

He made the pace quite fast, so they were soon outside the town limits, but he had to make sure that he could keep up with the man he was guiding. He was tall for his age, but his legs were still shorter than this man's, and Than had to keep going with all he could give because his father didn't accept anything less than the best with anyone or anything, which made this man even more interesting to Than, but he couldn't show his interest too much either. There were rules, and Than generally lived by them, unless his father wasn't around and he saw some other way of doing things that seemed better. He couldn't live off his father for ever, whatever his father thought about those rules.

"Might I ask your name, sir? I don't wish to seem rude."

Anonymous

When he mentioned the fact that there was going to be many spirits around the temple, he didn't have much of a reaction. He thought as much. Temples and spirits generally went hand in hand. He thought about the people around him and wondered what they thought it was he had done, for they didn't know of the spirit. He was lost in his thoughts of magic, spirits, and things that most people wouldn't bother thinking of. He was thrown from his thoughts when Than asked his name. 'He's polite. I havent met many a child with manners as good as his.', he thought. 'Mostly, either otherworldly brats or just your average child...'

He nodded and said, "My name is Phoenix. Phoenix Tell." He looked into the distance. He knew the boy was curious about him. "Is there any other questions you wish to ask? I don't mind..." He was just grateful that the irritating spirit was gone, and because of that, it put him in a good mood.

Anonymous

Than nodded as he was given a name, which he stored in his head as a 'do not touch' name. There were some people he would spy on, and others he already had kill plans for even if he wouldn't admit it. He wasn't supposed to talk about those things with people, just observe and work things out. His father set as much store in logic as he did in certain parts of religion. Than would do work for Phoenix, but Phoenix would never be his job. Someone else could deal with that.

"I am ok, thank you," he said. "I do not need to know much about you to make sure that you reach my father OK."

No snooping. Not around this man, not right now. Not when he was older. Than knew that he was only a child, but he was sure that he was never ever going to mess with Phoenix Tell. Some people just gave that impression.

"My father says I shouldn't ask too many questions."

Anonymous

Phoenix nodded. "Asking questions grants knowledge, but some things are better left unknown." He suddenly felt someone, or something, watching him. He looked around cautiously, but not obviously, and saw a dark figure glaring at him. Out of habit, as this had happened many times before to him, he prepared to attack. The figure got out some kind of weapon, but it was already too late, for Phoenix had been preparing to use magic already. He spat a flame from his mouth that sent the person that was there before running away faster than ever before. He exhaled, smoke coming from his nostrils. He shook his head. "..that was..irritating.", he mumbled to himself.

Anonymous

"Knowledge is something you should be sparing with."

Than could find things out. He could learn things and remember things without asking questions, although occasionally asking questions was allowed, of course. He just had to be careful about things.

He noted the dark figure out of the corner of his eye and ignored it; he was Zandaric practically-born and raised, although his father had studied in Thanatos and nobody was quite sure where his dead mother had been and come from. In Zandaric you just let things happen. Or you breathed fire at them. If you could do that. Than himself prefered lightning bolt, but fire was cool enough. He was nine, after all; some things couldn't be taught out of a child.

"But I would be willing to answer any questions you may have. That was nice to see, someone taking note of that guy. I always thought I was the only person to see him, it's hard to tell in Zantaric."

Anonymous

Phoenix sighed. "I see things nobody else seems to see." Then, he gave a sideways glance in the direction the man had run. "I do have a question for you. Who was that?" He was used to attacking most that got in his way. He normally lived in dangerous places, so it was just habit to be wary of dark figures lurking nearby. He yawned, exposing his fanged canine teeth. He usually stayed up at night, being out at daylight was new to him. The dragon part of him was nocturnal, it was terribly confusing when part of you felt sleepy at night, and part at day. "Also, do you think there will be more troublesome individuals here in the near future?"

Anonymous

"That guy? Just some guy."

Everybody in Zantaric except for himself, his father and Phoenix was 'just some guy' or 'just some woman'. That was the best way to deal with living here, no close contacts and learn to fight pretty quickly.

"There might be more, but I doubt it. Those that aren't scared of my father are creeped out by me."

Some might argue that Than was a very creepy youngster. He wasn't exactly normal, the way he could throw lightning around and call storms down to destroy the hells out of everything like he could. Breathing fire was infinitely more cool, if you asked him, but he could hold his own,he guessed.

"This is Zantaric," he added. "People don't get involved in our business in case we decide to get involved in theirs."

Anonymous

Phoenix nodded slowly. He knew the guy was around again. Was that man stupid? He had breathed fire at him, and he just waltzes back like nothing happened? He growled at the man, more of an instinct than an action. The man came into veiw and tried to attack Phoenix. Phoenix snarled, a deep, threatning sound that seemed too animal-like for his form. He realized that the man was the same one that he had knocked out earlier. His somewhat-quick temper boiled. He shot a powerful flame from his mouth, and his exposed fangs looked sharper and longer than before. The flame hit the man directly and pushed him backward into the bushes. Phoenix tapped the man with his foot. Yes, he was gone. He looked at Than. "I'm sorry for having to deal with him like this, if it bothers you at all. He had....insulted me earlier.." He relaxed, and continued.

Anonymous

Of course, just because people didn't get involved with other people's business didn't always make them smart. Than knew that, and dealt with it, and when this particular dark figure (or his identical twin) was burned to a crisp he just shrugged. He was somewhat surprised that the man had ventured this close to the temple, since it was a place that usually gave everyone the creeps and even Than was starting to see flickering heat waves now. They would grow clearer as he got closer to the temple, he knew, but they wouldn't bother him. His situation was complicated, but it tended to work.

"There will be no reprisals," he said, with another shrug. "Zendaric doesn't do justice too officially."

Anonymous

Phoenix nodded. Then, he turned to continue walking and saw spirits. There were many of them. They ranged from the normal the the disturbing. But, he didn't care. They could have been not there, for all he cared. He yawned again. Was it too early or late? He grumbled something about spirits, magic, and sleep. Then, he looked around again. At least these spirits were not concentrated on irritating him. He stretched his wings, and they returned to their spot, folded neatly. He appeared to be in deep thought. "hm. So, dead things don't bother you, hm?"

Anonymous

The question asked of him while he pressed forward towards the temple was not an easy one to answer. For a while he was silent, then he shrugged a shoulder as he pulled a branch back off the route. No doubt he would have to clear that up at some point, assuming his father ever noticed. When his father went to the temple site, he didn't always do so while in full control of his senses.

"My father is a necromancer, sir," he said, carefully. "Dead things do not scare me, but that does not mean that they do not bother me."

The hairs on the back of his neck were stood up on end, but he kept going forward. To stop was to attract attention sometimes, as if body heat was enough to make the spirits notice you and get jealous, and lightning didn't work on jealous spirits unless you wanted them more annoyed at you.

"From your willingness to meet my father, I guess you must be the same?"

Anonymous

Phoenix remained silent for a bit. Without warning, his thoughts flashed far back into his early past. A big, beautiful house...wealth...a dangerous criminal...and everthing he had turning to ash in an instant. He looked at Than with a serious expression. "It depends on who or what is dead. Mostly, dead things don't bother me." He forced the thoughts out of his head. He looked at the spirits that were either ignoring him or staring at him, wishing they had a strong, able body such as his. He ignored their stares. Why did people, both dead and living, always seem to glare at him as if he were polluting the airspace around them? He wasn't doing anything wrong. It was their fault for not being accepting of anything other than their arrogant race. He wished that they could just get on with their own buisness instead of glaring at him and getting into his. Phoenix thought he was being quite tolerant, because he could have just killed anyone who glared at him. But, first of all, that just would add to his 'Angry Souls Who Want Me to Join Them in the World of the Dead' list. Secondly, he didn't want to kill them, for he didn't know them, and they might be good people.

Anonymous

Than nodded, satisfied, as he continued forward, stepping lightly on the balls of his feet as he skipped across a small stream. He could do this route blindfold if he tried, indeed the first time his father had brought him here the old man had led him down the path with a blindfold on. Five year olds weren't supposed to be good at dealing with seeing spirity things apparently. His father was sure that children saw the spirits more than adults did, that there was something to do with innocence that could make a person more susceptible to seeing spirits, but it was only a work-in-progress theory, and one that Than didn't really help out with much. than wasn't like other kids, for a start.

"Be careful not to cut yourself on any leaves," he warned. "This close to the temple,when my father is there at least, bleeding can be risky."

Some of the spirits here were like sharks, which his father told him were a kind of carnivorous fish. One scent of blood and they went absolutely insane, and that was never good to see, even if you weren't the person who was bleeding. It could be quite an educational thing to watch, if you weren't squeamish.

"We are nearly there now," he added. "I hope that my father can help you with what you wish to know."

Anonymous

Phoenix nodded. His wings dissapeared. He figured it would be quite irritating to worry about them being cut, as they were large. He didn't do so with his tail, though, as  it had scales that made it difficult to cut. "If some of these spirits smell blood, dont they...?" He frowned slightly. That just made the smallest cut quite irritating. They would give him an early funeral, and all caused from a papercut. He muttered something about the spirits being weird. He had quite the habit of sometimes muttering to himself. He looked at Than when he spoke. "I do too."