Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You don't always get what you expect [open]

Started by Anonymous, October 09, 2009, 09:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"My father says not all of the things we see are spirits of humans," Than commented. "And that some of them are not spirits at all, but are Aspects of the gods and goddesses that were once worshiped here."

And as any man knew but very few dared to voice, gods and goddesses could be vicious bastards. Especially those who were ancient and remembered the scent and taste of blood sacrifice. His father was always careful to cover himseld with thick leather when he walked to and from the temple, because he had none of Than's light footedness and ease of movement.

"They do not respond well to fire and lightning," he added. "So here it is always a good idea to be as respectful as some people don't seem to be."

He doubted that the man needed the warning. Phoenix was not a Zantaric native, after all, and Than found that those who were not Zantarians tended to be more polite out of habit. But it was better to tell everyone the same thing than it was to assume that respect was owed.

Anonymous

Phoenix tilted his head. "Well, it makes a lot of sense to me. Even if you were dead, you probabaly still wouldn't want people attacking you, hm?"
He figured it only made sence to be respectful to the dead, because the dead were definatly not harmless. Being respectful was something he would do even if someone wasn't more powerful than he, but in this case it was much more important. However, he figured by now that Than had been around people that needed such a warning, because this place was rather known for its shady characters. "Even if we are respectful to them, are you sure they won't bother us?" There were a few spirits in particular he had dealt with before, and they were not friendlies. Rather than bringing back the dead spirits, sometimes he had to send them back far into the depths of hell. They were 'the hostiles', as he often refered to them as. Or, he used some colorful vocabulary....which wasn't too unfitting.

Anonymous

"I think a lot of them don't realise they're dead until the electricity passes through them and hits a tree," Than said, lowering his voice slightly. "Then, they get pis- annoyed at realising they're dead."

He considered the question as he waited for a moment, watching the aspects of whatever they were as they gathered around and dispersed and generally gave him the creeps. Anything could happen, really, you just didn't know.

"They usually leave respectful people alone," he said. "Respect works both ways, you know?

Anonymous

Phoenix shrugged when he answered about how they don't realize their current state. "Well, even in death, people just love pretending they are what they aren't, and that's much more difficult when you're reminded that you actually arent what you pretend to be." He tilted his head. "As for respect...I should know. Often, humans around places like here have a terrible lack of it. Ah, but i'm used to it. There is only one thing that I won't stand for. Intolerance of races other than yours. Hm. I seem to be rambling."

Anonymous

Than grinned slightly; he was something of a mongrel when it came to species, so he tended to be respectful of all of them. Or at least not openly resentful of any of them. Since saying one word wrong to any one in Zantaric could lead to Words From His Father and a clip around the ear from whomever he had offended he generally kept himself quiet anyway. It was easier.

He led Phoenix through to the main area of the temple, feet not making a sound despite the stone that had once made up the floor. He could see his father finishing up whatever it was he was doing, and he rapped his knuckles against a wall to make sure his dad didn't freak out the second he appeared.

"Father, I've found Mister Tell," he announced.

The man turned around and nodded, moving towards the pair. He was a short man, and pale; Than got a lot of his colouring and all of his height genes from his mother. The nine year old moved out of the way and leant against the wall, watching carefully.

"Mr Fell. you're younger than I expected. We can talk freely around my son, he knows to keep his mouth shut. What can I help you with?"

Anonymous

Phoenix walked down the hall in long strides, expression neutral. His long tail swept behind him in an almost hypnotizing pattern; back, forth. He inspected the temple while walking, interested in its ancient interior. He put his hood down, and ran a hand through his hair. What a long day, and there was more to come. He yawned again, exposing very white teeth and fangs. He looked at who he supposed was Than's father, and listened as Than announced their arrival. He nodded to the man as he spoke. "Well, I have a problem...my father passed away quite a while ago, and he has some information that I never got the chance to hear from him." Phoenix thought about how he had tried to contact his father. He couldn't seem to contact anyone in the world of the dead that was related to him. It was some kind of 'disability' he had.

Anonymous

"Ah, a mediumship deal."

Than's breath caught in his chest; he knew that his father did such things, but he'd never really known how. But his father had promised him that when he was older he could sit in on such magic, and surely he was old enough now? But he refrained from asking; Mister Tell had said that some important information was involved, and he might not want a nine year old boy hearing it. His father, though, was very good at locating the souls of those who had passed on; one of them inhabited his son's body thanks to deals that had been done when the boy was a weakling-born. Than wasn't quite aware of that yet, although he was beginning to suspect it.

"Is this information something that you would mind my knowing?"

Anonymous

Phoenix nodded to Than's father, and thought about his father. His father was most likely going to be in his true form, not his human form. A huge, black dragon with piercing yellow-orange eyes. He wondered what his father would think of him being in human form. Ha, it was inconvenient in towns. A dragon flying in onto a street would attract a bit of attention. He turned to look at Than when he spoke. "No, I would not mind you knowing."

Anonymous

Than nodded at the reply, although he kept from smiling because his father looked so serious. Since he hadn't been banished from the room, it was obvious that this was going to be his first chance to see what his father could actually do and realise it. He had been to young the last time necromancy had been performed in his presence, and had always been interested but never allowed into that world.

"I cannot bring your father back in person," his father said. "But I can probably find his soul and answer your questions. Assuming that he trusts me as much as you do. Is there some way that I can make sure that he knows you are asking? something only the two of you would know?"