Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Back to the Status Quo? [M/TW: graphic violence, abuse, torture]

Started by Incandesa, May 09, 2019, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incandesa

Obediently, Lillith lifted her head, almost in shock. "A-Arnel?" she cried as if she couldn't believe it. She did her best to stand up, but she had to heavily lean on him. Still, she had a slight smile on her face. "I suppose I should thank Ekjin he sent you," she said weakly, though the way she emphasized 'you' was in a rather dreamy tone, as if she didn't believe it herself.

She always felt like was a few seconds from passing out, but she would not give up. Not when she was this close. The passed by the other prisoners. Those who were still alive, wailed and moaned with jealousy, and the former prisoner felt a pang in her heart. Maybe in the future she could come back for them, but for now Lillth could barely stand on her own feet, much less help the others.

Marjorie

"There is no need for thanks," Arnel said, slinging his shield over his shoulder and strapping it to his back so her could wrap a supportive arm about her. He used a downward thrust of his wings to give his an edge in supporting her, as he kept his sword handy, and urged her toward the exit to the caves where he'd come in. "I am happy to serve." The words came automatically, no boast or brag, and they were not a superficial thing - but delivered plainly, as one might note the sky was blue or the grass green.

Now though, Arnel could hear the clamber of feet. There were more foes coming for them. He could not fight threw them all. So he changed his plans. He detached his shield and let it clamber to the floor, next followed his breast plate, to lighten the weight he carried. He sheathed his sword and then pulled Lilith close to him, and then lifted her into his arms. He took to the sky and flew her out of the caves to safety. He did not stop until they were well away from that hellish place, and he was too exhausted to continue on further with flight.

Arnel nearly fell out of the sky, but managed a rough landing - that had him stumbling on his feet as he touched down, though he made sure to fall on his back, breaking Lilith's fall with his body.

Incandesa

Though the fall was better than it could have been, it was still extremely difficult for Lillith's body to take after the months of torture. A long groan of pain escaped her lips and she nearly passed out. Her bones felt fragile. Her muscles were limp. Breathing was becoming a strenuous task.

Night was falling and there was still at least a day's walk back to town. Luckily, there was a cave within sight. Lillith's eyes were feeling heavy, and the feeling of being in Arnel's arms was inviting, but the newer, wiser, part of herself knew this was dangerous. With great effort, she slowly pushed herself up, using a tree for support. Where she found the strength, she didn't know. Come on, Bird Boy, she called weakly, "We're almost there."

Marjorie

Arnel was weak with exhaustion, but he was still strong of body and heart. He smiled faintly at her teasing - for the first time seeing it as a term of endearment. He came up beside her and put an arm about her waste to help support her as they made their way to the cave. It would be a cold night they could light no fire to give themselves away, and for haste, and ease of travel threw difficult terrain, Arnel hadn't brought much with him save his armor and sword. The cave at least would shelter them from the winds.

Incandesa

By the time they made it to the cave, night had fallen and both were far too exhausted to make a fire. Instead, they fell asleep in each others' arms for warmth. It was something Lilith had always wished for, and thought pessimistically that she would never receive again. In the night, she heard the far off flaps of demon wings, but none seemed close enough to wake Arnel up. Had she been even slightly lees exhausted, she would've likely been paranoid all night.

The next morning (or was it afternoon? or a few days?), she seemed to be in even more pain than before. Lilith desperately needed rest, but she knew rest was not something she would get until she was far away from the harpies. Possibly from civilization all together, since that would be where demons would come. Shakily standing up, using the cave wall for support, she looked over her body. Things were healing, but it was take months for a full recovery if there ever was one. The good news was, had she been human, she most certainly would have died. Brushing off a bit of dirt, she began to call out for Arnel.

Marjorie

Arnel was far to tired to even consider that there might possibly be any implication other than exhaustion, for the fact that they slept in each other's arms. He leaned against the hard, cold stone, and she collapsed against him.

The angel had risen with the son, and carefully extricated himself from Lilith's unconscious embrace. She needed to rest, but he would give her only a few hours more. He moved to the mouth of the cave and then went out to scout and stand guard. He returned at the sound of her voice. "We have to keep moving," he said with urgency, "we have a good head start, but I have to get you to the temple. They can't come on consecrated ground." He had to believe that she would be able to, or else, this was all for not. He gestured for her to come nearer, and once again, Arnel took her in his arms, and then took to the sky.

Incandesa

When they neared the temple, a few of the monks and paladins came out to see the commotion after a novice had spotted them in the distance. Three paladins, a nun, and an old monk stood at the entrance way, with a mixture among them of surprise, disgust, curiosity, and pity. When they landed, the old monk, Brother Cadfael, stepped forward, calming taking inventory of the situation. As the head of the monks, he was the most senior of those present. "Take her inside if you can. You will inform us of the situation once we have her in a stable condition."

One of the paladins stepped forward with a look of horror on his face. "Surely brother, you don't mean to allow a demon on consecrated grounds! She could be deceiving us to infiltrate from the inside. By all rights, we should kill her now before she can cause any further damage," he all but shouted.

Lilith hid her face in Arnel's chest. She didn't have the heart to defend herself, because she knew that once upon a time, it had been true. She could confess how she had turned to Ekjin in her distress and how she had devoted her life to him now, but who would believe her?

Marjorie

Arnel looked upon the objecting Paladin as if he should be ashamed of himself, then spoke to him words all those present knew, a quote from the Knight's oath: "I will offer redemption, and give mercy when asked." He slid his fingers threw Lilith's hair and tipped her head so she was looking up and he could look down into her face.

Arnel would believe her. He had to believe her, because if he didn't then he would have to cut her down in anger for the wrong's he done and then surrender his position as a Knight of Ekjin.

"All you have to do is ask," Arnel said softly, earnestly, "Ekjin forgives all, Ekjin loves all. He only asks that you seek redemption, find the good in yourself. I felt the good in you, when you sat beside me, diligently learning His words. All deserve forgiveness - let me help you, you need only ask."

Incandesa

Lilith was stunned. After everything that had happened between the two of them, could he really forgive her just like that? Was it really be that simple? She could barely stand to look at herself without cringing, and yet here was her worst enemy, arguably her most tormented victim, offering his protection, his mercy. Would it be right to take it? It felt like theft. Completely unearned. She was a succubus, a demon, a murderer even.

"Arnel, I've hurt you so deeply in the past. If you were to kill me now, I would hold nothing against you."

But then, she looked up into his beautiful eyes and saw reflected back a broken woman: injured, frightened, and haunted by the past. This was not the same woman who had seduced men and murdered children. She was a spirit freshly remade: a child of Ekjin. Just as with Ekjin, Arnel's mercy was not stolen, but a gift.

Her tone was barely above a whisper when she asked,"If you can truly find it in your heart of hearts, would you... please...f-forgive me?"

Marjorie

Arnel shook his head. "Revenge is not my way," he said gently, "it is not our way."

To forgive was different than to protect, than to let repent. He should though. Kejin would forgive her, if she were true. "We will," he promised himself his word would not be a lie. He would overcome himself and forgive her... eventually. For now, he would admit to himself that he was as imperfect as any other child of Ekjin and work toward that goal.

Arnel left no room for any further argument and moved past the others threw the gates and onto the temple grounds. Even Arnel was surprised when no harm came to her as they crossed the threshold, but he didn't give pause, even if others gasped. He took her to the inferiority and let the surgeons and nuns fuss over her wounds. He was ushered out of the surgeon's room and given a chair and a meal. A nun passed him and entered the surgeon's room with a bowl of broth. She dipped a clean cloth into it and let it dribble into Lilith's mouth.

Arnel dozed in his chair, the empty bowel of stew at his feet until someone came to wake him.

Incandesa

It took several hours before the doctors were satisfied with their treatment. After all, these wounds were meant to not only inflict pain, but create scaring on a being who was functionally immortal. They had to such wounds on seemingly every limb. By the time they were finished, she had enough thoroughly examined. Luckily, she had been so exhausted, she slept through most of it.

The next day, a nun shook Arnel awake. "The doctors told me the demon girl you brought is ready to take visitors, Sir Arnel. That is, if you want to see her, of course," there was a slight sneer in her voice, but not outright hostility. By this point, Lilith is sitting up in bed inspecting the patches job the surgeons had done.

Marjorie

Arnel frowned, soft disapproval at the nun's sneer, but said nothing of it. He knew, it was much to ask of them, simply to have here hear. He suspected it was only because of who he was, a direct decedent of the patron Angel of Ekjin who founded this very order, that they did so without complaint. There likely was complaint, but not where he could hear it, at least.

"Thank you Sister," he said gently, "Ekjin bless you for your kindness." Then he entered the room to find Lilith sitting up in a bed, examining her bandages.

"Have you eaten?" he asked quietly. In his hand, he carried a book, the Book of Ekjin which Lilith in the guise of Mercy had brought to him may months ago. He set the book beside her on the bed and found a seat in a chair, "I thought it might bring you comfort."

Incandesa

Lilith looked up, slightly startled, as if she was interrupted from a deep train of thought. "Oh! Umm... Not really. I just woke up a little while ago, so I haven't been feeling very hungry," she said with a nervous chuckle.

When her eyes fell on the book, she cautiously went to grab it, lightly touching it, ready to pull back at any moment. However, nothing happened. In fact, the book seemed to be slightly warm to the touch. Lilith placed it in her lap, and began to flip through it. Tears began to form in her eyes. She never thought being able to touch and feel the pages of scripture with her own hands would affect her like this.

"Thanks, Bird Boy."

Marjorie

Arnel smiles faintly when Lilith's eyes began to water. He knew then, for sure, he had made the right choice. Saving her had been the right thing to do. "You're welcome,@ he said gently, reaching forward to wipe a tear away with the sleeve of his shirt as it began to roll down her cheek.

"Don't forget to eat,"he said, "you'll need your strength to heal." Even though he knew, she, like himself, would heal (physically at least) much more rapidly than their more mortal counterparts. "I'll let you rest. I won't be far," just passed out in his bed. He needed rest also. "If you need me for anything at all, just ask for me."