Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Through a Glass Darkly [M]

Started by Lion, May 10, 2017, 11:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Mercuxio, in truth, had already decided that the Marsters family was going to be his first and only stop. Settling had factored very much as part of the deal, and somehow he figured if it didn't work out, he could always divorce her. A divorced ex-priest, now a duke, unfortunately had a tasteless ring to it. He didn't go in completely blind, however, he knew that deep down doing so would be foolish.

Advisors informed him on her family history, her tutelage, and the fact that she'd remained unmarried this long was somewhat un-ideal. But perhaps that was part of her appeal. Mercuxio didn't seem to find her desperate for a husband, and in fact, she even seemed more reluctant to do so. She made it clear that she cared for her horses and little else. He could work with that. This, after all, was a union, of state. Not of emotion.

There was little time for that in the current state of things.

"I am looking forward to my son making you very happy," Christine admitted plainly. "Children, of course, would be lovely. But I understand that all of this is very new to you, new duchy, new home, new husband, so take all the time you need to adjust. Merric is very patient. He had a good heart. And the needs of those around him come first."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Was this too good to be true?

Aveline looked away after a moment, frowning softly. Her fingers went to her hair to pull at the imaginary tangles while his mother spoke.  Patient. Good heart.

"You... You've raised a fine man," Aveline started lamely, glancing away. At least he was everything she wasn't. Patient being one of them. "Well, with the country the state it's in, heirs will be sooner than later." A glance down and away before she smiled, "that's my part of the deal. Being comfortable will come later," Aveline sighed.

"You truley have a lovely home. I hope to... Only add to it." Aveline cleared her throat and glanced away, "are there any traditions I should... Know about? Holiday things?"

Lion

Things that were too good to be true often were just that. In these terms, Christine only knew that Mercuxio had found a beautiful woman to call his own. And she seemed lovely on the inside as she was on the outside. Of course, it could be that she was simply trying to make a good first impression. So she wasn't going to put all her eggs in one basket just yet.

"I can understand that," Christine shrugged. She squeezed Aveline's hand. "As for your concern with family functions, please understand that Mercuxio's father has recently passed. The previous Duke of Bellkrath was a wonderful man, and although in our hearts we still mourn him, we try to put on a brave face every day. He has already been interred, do no worry about preparing for any funerals, dear. Just try to make the best of things.

"It will be Merric's birthday soon. He doesn't know that I've already decided to throw a small party for him. Please keep it a secret between us. Because you will be rather key in keeping him distracted for the next few weeks. Newlyweds and all that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Aveline looked at Mercuxio's mother.

Comparing the woman to her own mother.

Apparently her mother-in-law won out. There was no nagging. No snide little undertones. Aveline reached a hand and took Christine's between her own after she spoke of her husband. A small sympathetic smile.

"How do you suppose I keep him distracted?" Aveline asked quietly, curious and confused. "I think he would want to get to work as soon as possible," she smiled slightly and looked away. Then a deep breath, "Is your son... Odd?" Aveline leaned in slightly, "We're officially married but he hasn't.... There hasn't... Did he join the priest hood because he loves Ansgar or because of... Other reasons."

Lion

"My son decided he wanted to enter the priesthood a long time ago before this awful war," Christine explained gently. "His decision put him at odds with the Duke. He was his heir, but I think Mercuxio wanted to do something else on his own. To give him purpose. But, who can truly be sure. None other than my son. That is something you will have to ask him."

She squeezed her hands again as they entered the great hall again. "Don't worry. I'm sure you'll find plenty of ways to keep him occupied. Tomorrow, we will make a small ceremony for you. I would like to be there, to see my son kiss you at an altar."

Christine looked up to Mercuxio and gently traded arms with him, handing Aveline off to Merric. "Please, don't let me steal away all her precious time."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A topic of conversation for later.

Aveline looked away while Christine spoke, giving a little flush at the mention of kissing at the altar. Would she have to dress up? Would she have a dress for that? Her hand smoothed over her side, fingers feeling the fabric while she tried to think of a tactile way to bring uo being a priest to her husband.

Still a weird word for her.

"Oh, its not that precious," she tried to insist, switching arms easily. Aveline looked at Mercuxio, lips pursed, trying to decide if she was nervous about a little ceremony or excited. "Your mother is lovely," she said plainly, smiling at him.

"What were the plans for the day?"

Lion

"She is. She's a gem," he whispered to her, turning to Aveline and smiling softly. Her eyes caught in the light momentarily and God only knew just what would happen tomorrow when they were actually married. Which they were now, but ceremonies must be kept up. "Let's go out. Walk with me."

"Good day," Dani murmured, tilting her head and snickering as her brother walked off and she went off with Christine to venture down the hallway.

"I hope you'll like it here," he murmured. "Let's uh, go hunting. You like horses. We can ride together for a while. The day is nice and we'll probably be very busy tomorrow."  The suggestion was an excuse to escape for both of them. He didn't want to be trapped in that castle any more than he had to with all the memories that he held.

It was still rather reeling to think that he was a Duke now..  The title once held by his father, a shadow of a man now gone.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A polite nod to Dani and Aveline just looked to Mercuxio before she squinted at him slightly. Trying to imagine him in priestly garb. A purse of her lips and she glanced away from him, cheeks puffed out before she hugged his arm to her side and rested her cheek on his bicep.

"Hunting?" she echo'd, looking up at him with wide golden eyes. Of course, that meant horses, so the smile bloomed onto her cheeks anyway. Nuzzling against his arm she snuggled close against him and let out a breath. "That sounds like a plan," She stated simply before pulling away. Then smirking, "Very busy?" She said, moving to stand in front of him and take both of his hands in hers while she blocked his path.

"Aside from the ceremony so your mother can see you kiss me at the altar? What else is going to happen, hmm, Husband?" she smirked at him, looking him up and down before she let go one of his hands so she could drift her index finger along his neck to his chin.

Lion

Hunting was something they could both do without feeling pressure to do anything formal. And perhaps it might not have been a Connlaothian custom to take a lord's wife out hunting, it was a nice change of pace for once. Mercuxio wanted to see her in a more natural environment. After all the signing of the papers had been fast and their departure left little more than dust in their wake.

Merric paused in the crook of the hallway when she stood in front of him. What? Wouldn't she be eager to get out?

Merric felt gooseflesh soothe up his arms and his hair on the back of his neck stand on end when the shivers came over him. He didn't know she could touch like that, and although it startled him, his expression remained somewhat stoic. "I think it'll be a surprise. A pleasant one, for both of us. Let's go outside. Get some fresh air," he breathed.

Merric leaned in and whispered those words right in her ear, before taking her hand and finding their way out to the stables where their horses were being run around a paddock. "Get them saddled," he directed, and right away, the moment he was free, the Titus came running to the side of the ring, burying his face into Merric's neck.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A pleasant surprise for them both.

Aveline just smirked at him before she glanced away. Slyly rubbing her ear to make the tingling his whispers gave her go away. A shift of her hips and she watched him while they walked. He was handsome. He seemed kind.

There were much worse choices. Of course the walk to the paddock had her mind wandering but it wasnt until she watched Titus greet Mercuxio that her heart gave a pained lurch. Would she ever have that with Mercuxio? Would he ever want that with her?

"Beautiful boy," she said simply, rubbing a hand along his neck. A quiet instuction to saddle Beautiful Day - not in the paddock for obvious stallion reasons.  Aveline just smiled at the pair, "Do you consider Titus a pet or a friend?"

Lion

"He's been my friend since he was just a foal. I've had him for more than ten years. He's about 12 or thirteen now," Mercuxio estimated. "I love him."  He grinned and watched when Beautiful Day was taken out, now saddled and brushed and with her mane combed.

Titus tilted his head to sniff at Aveline, knickering and leaning into her pets.

"He's a good boy," he murmured, and lead Titus out of the paddock. He climbed up and settled into the saddle, his gear brought to him from another servant, a bow and quiver, with a set of arrows, and another set given to Aveline.

"How old is Day?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Aveline daintily held the bow and arrow.

A lover of most animals, her bow abilities were abysmal at best. Pursing her lips she looked to Titus and then to Day when she was brought about. Yes. If she used Titus their offspring would be lovely. A new strain. Titus could be the fresh line she needed.

Aveline, distracted, quickly turned her face to him and stared at him. Golden eyes wide. "She's five," she said, "I was going to breed her soon," she smiled and kissed Day's velvety nose before she brought Day over to the fence so she could shimmy up and climb onto the horse.

Once seated she looked up, regal. Her curls hung down her back and she grinned at Mercuxio, "Did you plan on having Titus breed? Maybe we could do that. When we have children, we'll make sure to have them breed. Make our kids beautiful horses," she laughed, taking a moment to imagine a young child on a beautiful horse. A perfect mix of all of them.

"Shall we?" She smirked before she held the bow and nudged Day along before she started on her way into the bush, "I dont actually intend on hunting."

Lion

"That is not a bad idea at all," Mercuxio smiled back at her. It was certainly a nice thought and even though it didn't seem as if he was at all interested in having children with her. They would get to that, so why rush it? He wanted to get to know her as much as possible. And yet...the fact that she thought he wasn't at all physically interested in her gave him small amount of amusement.

"That's all right," he offered. "We can just ride. Anything we hunt will be given to the village below anyway. We have food here."  Mercuxio shouldered the quiver and rode out ahead down a winding path just to the rear of the castle The forests in the nearby mountains were ripe with game still and much of the land had been untouched by war.

The large thick evergreens rose high between them and Mercuxio slowed Titus to observe Aveline on her own mount. The light caught her hair and his eyes dilated at the sight. Merric offered a smile and squeezed his legs around Titus, steering him to walk alongside her.

"I grew up wandering these trees as a boy. Not too far. Father didn't want me getting lost. They get thicker the deeper into the mountains you go."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

While they rode, while she rode, Aveline imagined all the children and horses. A small smile on her face while she stared ahead, smelled the trees and forest. Her eyes closed for a moment and she turned when Mercuxio started to speak. Golden eyes popped open and she stared at him, confused for a moment.

Another smile bloomed on her face though, "The trees were always a decent ways away from me and my horses," her voice was soft. She enjoyed how it echoed through the trees. Though, Aveline tilted her head, hair whipping over her shoulder when she heard strange sounds. Sounds that weren't like a forest.

A soft...

Aveline frowned and nudged Day over through the trees.

A whimper?

It didn't take long for her to simply slip from the horse, heels digging into the soft ground. "Mercuxio," she whispered, frowning, staring a head. "Do you hear that?" Her voice was soft while she spoke and looked around. Day, being a good girl, remained standing where Aveline left her. "There's..." Another confused little shake of her head and she started towards the soft noises.

Though a misstep had her practically slide down a small hill on her knees. Mud smearing up her stockings and dress. Though.. "Oh God," She whispered. The source of the noises.

It was puppies.

Or rather. It was a puppy. "Mercuxio!" she hollered, staring in mild horror. A puppy. And a dead mother. And dead puppies. Instantly, Aveline bent down to pick up the squirming little baby. Pale gray with a pink nose. "Mercuxio!"she smoothed her hand over his little body, "Do you have a jacket?" She called, "He's cold!"

Lion

Mercuxio hadn't heard it, the whimpers nor had he realized that Aveline had gone off until he was talking to little more than thin air. There was Day. And Aveline disappeared just below a hill. He pulled Titus to a halt, sliding down from the saddle and following where she called his name.

"Aveline," he called out, cupping his hand and only then seeing her at the base of the hill with ...something squirming in her arms.

Mercuxio had been wearing little more than a doublet, and he carefully made his way down the embankment, slipping out of the jacket and holding it out like a blanket to curl it around the small dog's form. It was such a scrawny thing with awkwardly large paws and it whimpered and shook in Aveline's embrace.

"Oh, no...  Poor wee pup," Merric purred and shifted around behind her. "All of the pups are dead? Except him....  How even did you hear him? Nevermind, let's get him back up the hill."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"I just... Heard it," she whispered, cradling the puppy close. Any beast could have done it. A brief glance to the dead mother. The pup was cold so who knew how long ago she'd died. How long ago the pup went without a meal. Taking the offered cloth, Aveline wrapped the pup in it before she held him in her arms to warm him.

"I think the hunting trip should be on hold " it was more a command than a comment while she made her way back up the hill. Her dress no doubt ruined by the dirt from the hill side."can you hold him while i get onto Beautiful Day? Any... any barn dogs that could feed him or... Its okay. I know what to give him." A worried look to Mercuxio.

Well. At least she'd found something to keep him occupied.

Lion

The pup whimpered and squirmed in Aveline's arms, but the moment they were up on the hill, he calmed considerably and tried to curl up as much as possible. Another whimper and when it looked at Merric, the dog seemed to give a rather reluctant wag of his tail.

"Give him here. I'll hold him. Or her. The dog," Mercuxio offered. He shifted closer, and took the pup into his arms. The dog gave him a wild side-long glance before turning and immediately licking his face. "Hey!" He cackled, trying to keep the dog from licking him when Aveline was finally mounted.

"I know you're happy now, dog. But settled down." The dog stopped squirming and his tail wagged through the space between the sleeve arm crook. "Hey, good boy. That's a good dog."  Once she was settled he handed the dog back off to Aveline, mounted and took Day's reins into hand and steering Titus with the other.

"Ahh, well, there's always another time. Any idea what you want to call him?" Mercuxio asked, cutting a smile back to Aveline and the pup that wagged his tail again when Merric looked at him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

It didn't take long for Aveline to realize the pup wanted Mercuxio. He was bigger and warmer than her and perhaps he felt the presence of an alpha. A glance to Mercuxio and she smiled softly to him while he helped and handed the pup to him when he asked her to. The sound licking he got was only good news and she smiled softly - still saddened by the rest of the family - before she got herself onto her horse.

The ease in which he returned the pup and began to lead them away surprised her.

There wasn't any demand to get rid of the beast. No. Aveline's mouth opened slightly and she stared, "Call him?" She said softly, looking down at the pup in her arms that only had eyes for Mercuxio. "Hm," She stroked down his back, ignoring the grime and mud on her hands from the puppy. The dress was probably ruined. Maybe she could give it to the help to... Refurbish.

"Well," She said softly, "Father wanted me to name our first son after him," She smirked slightly and looked down at the pup, "Marvin Junior. But, Vin for short," she stroked his cheeks and sides before she looked down at her husband. So ready to take in a beast in need. Who knew if this pup was sick. Or when it ate. Obviously it was excited because it'd been found but...

"I look forward to raising our first child together," She teased softly, tilting her head. "I imagine the poor thing is hungry and thirsty. And then we'll have to train him. He'll be wonderful. Do you think he's still nursing?" Aveline, unfortunately, knew next to nothing about dogs.

Lion

"Our first born son...  I...can't help but think that that name suits that poor lonely pup juuust fine!" Mercuxio beamed, leading the horses back through the trees, down the path and through to the stables. The rather startled stable hands were taken aback at how early they arrived and surrounded Titus and Day to help tend to them back into their respective stalls.

Merric helped Aveline down and eyed the pup that lazily wagged his tail in her arms still. "Vin. Hi. How are you doing? We've had a couple of hunting dogs. My father was very fond of them. More for the company than the actual hunting, but they were very brave, so I've been raised around them from time to time." he murmured, reaching across to scritch at the dog's neck scruff.

"He looks like he's probably going to be weaned, but we'll try a mix of milk and meat just to be sure. The houndmaster will help look after him. Shall we set him down? See if he likes the place?" Mercuxio gestured for her to do just that and let his hand slip easily into hers, it was still warm from holding the pup.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A houndmaster.

This place seemed to have everything. At the suggestion, Aveline put the pup down. His earlier fear was still there, his tail giving unsure tick-tocks in between being tucked up under himself. Aveline chewed on her lip while she watched him sniff things and instinctively jerked away when she felt a hand in hers.

Though, a glance down and she looked at Mercuxio surprised before she gave a shy little smile and let her fingers thread through his. "He's very brave," she said softly, moving enough that she had her back pressed to his front. Switching hands so that she could hug herself with his arm. The back of his hand pressed to her abdomen.

Did she want to raise her first child - human child - with a mutt found in the forest and a horse? Oh yes. That sounded like a dream. A glance up to Mercuxio and Aveline let her head rest back against his shoulder before she gave a content sigh. Sure she was hugging herself with his arm, but it still felt nice! "You're a good man," She said softly, "To take him in so easily. I'm sure he'll be beautiful when he grows up," Though she imagined he'd be small, being so tiny as it was. "Do we leave him here? Will he be friends with the horses?"