Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sleeping... But not for long! [Dris]

Started by Anonymous, November 27, 2009, 03:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The sunlight was rising above the horizon, and normally, Ashi Opalstone would be wide-awake and already on the move to find her homeland, Summervale. However, after getting lost and ending up near Cerenis, the sea-side city, she had been trying to find directions for a long time the previous day. The sun was well-set by the time she'd found this large oak tree to sleep under. So now, thoroughly worn out, Ashi snuffled slightly in her sleep, gripping her opal staff firmly, even in sleep. Her raspberry colored cloak served as a blanket, and her long brown hair loosely tied back in it's usual ponytail.

Ashi was resting well, completely unaware of the shady figures approaching. A few snickered, but were silenced by a larger man at the front, presumably the leader. They looked around and found her rucksack, full of provisions. The bandits were doing well, and would have gotten away long before she woke up if one stupid bandit hadn't made the mistake of trying to remove her staff from her hands. Both of Ashi's eyes, one blue, one green, flew open as she yanked her staff out of his grip. She stood swiftly, cursing inwardly that she had allowed them to sneak up on her. Ashi, you idiot! You should have been awake hours ago! She scolded herself a bit, but put herself back into the matter at hand.

For a moment, there was a bit of a stalemate - the bandits stood around her, unsure of what to do, and Ashi gripped her staff, holding it diagonally across her body as she waited for one of them to move. The man who had tried to take her staff stepped forward with a smirk planted on his ugly features. He held out a hand, "Now come on, sweetheart, just make this easier for us, and leave your pretty walking stick here. We'll even spare you're life - aren't we kind, boys?" The other bandits chuckled appreciatively, nudging each other knowingly.

Ashi's eyes hardened. It was not a walking stick. She would prove that to them soon. "Oh, I don't think so, gentlemen." She replied dryly. "My "walking stick" will keep you at bay." Their confident smiles wavered at her confidence, but before they could react, Ashi brought her staff above her head, then brought it down with force. A fierce gust of wind caused the man who'd spoken to fall back, and the others around him stagger. "Now, if I might have my rucksack back." It was not a question, but a statement. But Ashi knew she couldn't hold them back forever. The likelihood someone would come was small, but one could hope... right?

Anonymous

Tired. Ealius was that. More then a bit, less then a lot. Oddly, that came out to be just tired. Not really tired, not kind of tired. Just tired. Naught two days ago, he had passed the boundaries of Serendipity, and finally he could start looking for his long lost and distant cousins. That might have to be delayed. Ealius looked around. Everything in this god forsaken forest was starting to look the same. He knew which way he came, for he was definately smart enough to mark his way till here, but it could be troubling.

He sighed. what a troubling few days it has been. He had wasted much time getting here, and he still had far to go. What a genius he was, getting lost. It could be that he was tired. Maybe that was it. Eal shook his head. He racked his brain for any ideas. Looking up, he could see the sun rising into the sky. That was it! The sun rose from the east! Almost jumping with joy, Ealius started off in that direction, which turned out to be only a few degrees off his original heading.

It was when he reached a clearing that he saw something odd. A few meters to the left of him, something was happening. From what he saw here, he could tell it wasn't that good. Ealius had his mission in mind, but he couldn't leave someone to trouble. He was not that kind of person. He may have been a prince, but he was not one that ruled with an iron fist. In his mind, he quickly thought up a plan.

He quickly counted how many there were. Including the one that had been blown a few meters away, there was . . . five. Nodding to himself, he used his mind and sucked the farthest one, the one that the young lady had blown, to him. With a quick blow to the head, he disable him. Then he did the same for three more. The last one, he looked like the leader, noticed that his men were all missing. He was obviously already spooked about the young woman. But that made him all the more dangerous. More dangerous, not always more alert.

He walked straight up to the bandit and tapped him on the shoulder. The bandit whirled around, a crazed look in his eyes. "It seems that your men have gotten tangled into a ball there." Ealius said. All innocent, no guilt. The bandit's eyes widened. He looked back between his unconscious men and Ealius. The bandit made up his mind quick and ran off before Ealius could say any more. He finally got a good look at the young woman and his eyes almost popped out. She was beautiful. "You okay there?" He asked, quickly turning his head away so she wouldn't see him blush.

Anonymous

Ashi wasn't sure what to do. The bandits were surrounding her, and though they were freaked out by her previous display of magic, they were getting bolder. The one on the ground stood, and made a move forward. But before he could do anything, a sudden rush of wind sucked the bandit away. She couldn't see where he went, and felt a rush of nerves. Where did he go? She wondered, then another man flew backwards, then the next and the next. Soon, it was only Ashi and the leader of the bandits.

The leader was obviously freaked out. His men had been standing boldly around him, but now were gone. He had never trusted magic. Who was to say the girl wasn't some creepy witch disguised as a young, innocent looking girl? He almost had that idea wrapped around his mind when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He whirled around. A young man stood behind him. "It seems that your men have gotten tangled into a ball there." He said calmly. With one glance at his unconscious men nearby, he took off. Stupid magic users!

Ashi let out a faint sigh as he raced away in terror. She didn't prefer to fight, but if it was necessary, or if she was angry, she could do damage if she needed to. But she preferred to talk things out first - why injure others when you can solve things peacefully? That was how she liked to think, but she remembered the Mordecai. She knew she had to fight, but there was nothing wrong with a bit of wistful thinking, was there? Gratefully, she noticed that her rucksack had been dropped by the bandits. She hastily recovered it, smiling a bit.

"You okay there?" Ashi was a bit startled by the sudden voice, and turned quickly. She smiled gratefully, blue and green eyes sparkling. "Yes, thank you!" She gazed into his silvery purple gaze for a moment before he turned his head away, as if embarrassed. "Thank you for helping me." She repeated sincerely, bowing respectfully. She wasn't sure why she bowed - it was a bit of a habit from her life of servitude. Ashi couldn't resist looking at him a little more closely, pushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear. He was handsome, that was for sure, but she couldn't distract herself right now.

Focus, Ashi! She chided herself inwardly, then held out a hand to him. "I'm Ashi, by the way. What's your name?"

Anonymous

Awkward it was. Ealius finally got control over his emotions and turned back to face the young woman who called herself Ashi. He had heard her thank him twice, and out of the corner of his eye, he had seen her bow. A bit strange, but nothing too out of the ordinary. He was a bit startled by the sudden hand extended at him, for he was the one usually to start the conversations. But here he was, not in his home where everyone treated him like a king, or more correctly, a prince. He glanced up at Ashi's face before taking it. "There is no need to thank me." Ealius said, scratching his head, a bit uncomfortable. "I did what any good citizen would have done." Without even knowing, just by talking with her, he found himself thinking of her, as if she were taking over his thoughts. Strange. But he kept his emotions under control.

"Well met. It is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Ealius - " he paused. He really didn't know if he should actually say his real name. It could possibly be dangerous to him, and maybe even her. But he ended up making up his mind. "Maverikko."

Eal had decided to tell her, but he quickly blurted out more words. "But don't be alarmed, I am here alone, and I don't hate magic users like everyone else in Connlaoth." A look of embarrassment crossed his face. "I actually like them better then normal people." He decided quickily to change to subject, getting it off him and onto her. As far as he saw of her, Ealius saw a beautiful, young, magic using woman traveling by herself. And possibly a bit dangerous.

So what is a beautiful, young lady like you out here for?" Ealius asked. "Possibly looking for something or . . . someone?"

Anonymous

It was a bit awkward for a moment, but Ashi was ok with awkward moments for a time. She waited for only a little while, and did not regret the chance to just watch him for a bit. She mentally smacked herself. Calm down. Her brain told her, and she took a deep breath and smiled as he spoke and returned the offered hand. "Well, I'm glad you're an example of a good citizen, seeing as I've met the unpleasant variety this morning." She indicated the direction the bandits had fled with her hand once it was released. She found herself liking to listen to him speak, but reined herself in. The fellow had just helped her out a great deal - she wasn't going to scare him off anytime soon.

She was about to return the pleasure of meeting him, but then he told her his name. Ashi stiffened. The prince of Connlaoth? The land she had been forced to live to, to be a slave in? Her eyes narrowed for a moment, hoping she wouldn't have to fight to get away from him. But he kept talking, saying that he actually liked magic users. Her trusting nature had her look past his heritage, and she smiled a bit again. She was glad he wasn't like the others of his country - she did like him, and he had saved her, or at least helped her out with the bandits. He couldn't be all bad.

Beautiful... He called me beautiful. Ashi blushed fiercely, and pushed a bit of hair behind her ears self-consciously. But she looked up into his purple eyes and replied, "I'm trying to find my way to Summervale - I'm looking for my family. Or what remains of them, or even who they are..." She trailed off, a bit embarrassed by babbling things like that to a stranger. She put her pack onto her back, then her cloak on top of that. She then held her staff. She wasn't sure if she was to go, but the actions helped keep her blushing face hidden for the most part.

OOC: Sorry for the delay!

Anonymous

Ealius couldn't help but watch Ashi's expression darken at the mention of his name. He had a hunch that she had been from Connlaoth. Most likely a slave. But luckily, the darkened mood disappeared quickly. Though he did notice her watching him intently. But he was sure that she didn't see him looking at her looking at him. He smiled brightly and looked off into the distance, where the sun was. Life was filled with more . . . "life" now that he had left the castle. This young woman, he had a strange feeling whenever he looked at her. He guessed it was because he thought she was pretty. What else, he liked the sound of her voice. He was going crazy for sure.

He was quite suprised to see that his hunch about her looking for someone be right. Ealius had to grin. She was just like him. They might be looking for different people who dwelled in different places, but they were alike. And without himself knowing, he wanted to be close to her, he actually took a step forward before he stopped himself. He really was going crazy. Really, really crazy. Eal had just met her, and now he already wanted to be with her? Strange.

He watched Ashi's face turn red when he said that she was beautiful, he almost stared at her as she moved a lock of her hair. Quickly, before she could notice him staring, he averted his eyes and grimaced. He was going crazy. He couldn't stop thinking about her face, and every time he did, he pushed it away and told himself he was crazy. He heard her talk and then starting to move around. At this point, Eal returned his gaze back to Ashi as she moved around, picking up her items. He tried very hard to keep his emotions under control, and he did just barely that, but to what consequence?

"Well now, that seems like a worthy journey." he paused. "Do you mind if I come along? I would like to have your company, and what I am doing here isn't as important." Ealius cursed himself silently. Now, if she agreed, he would feel like this for more then a few minutes, and his mission could possibly be delayed. Not that the mission mattered too much, his mind said to him, entraced by Ashi. "Who wouldn't want such a young woman with them? One who has magic, a goal, and looks too." Ealius cursed himself for being so bold.

Anonymous

Ashi's smile widened as he asked to go with her. She was used to traveling by herself, but she would love to have company. Besides the gypsies she had met back in Connloath, no human had been kind to her since she had left her home of imprisonment. Well, not really imprisonment - her owners had been kind to her and her parents, treating them more like family than anything else. But she had to escape from the Mordecai, and besides, she was looking for her true family... if they were still alive. No, no Ashi, they must be alive! Don't think like that! She told herself quickly.

"I would love to have you come along, Ealius." Ashi nodded happily, glad to have the handsome prince as her companion. She felt her mind start to day-dream, but she hurriedly reined herself in. You know what happened last time. She remembered well. Never trust a member of the Mordecai - even if they say they love you. Ashi remembered that lesson well. It had almost led to her capture, but she had escaped at the last moment. She wasn't one to hate people for no reason, but she certainly had a reason to hate the Mordecai after all she had been through.

And looks too. Ashi blushed again, but laughed. "You are bold, Prince. But at least you're a flatterer." She winked cheekily, to show she was just teasing, then turned down the path. She took a few steps toward Summervale (or at least, that's what the old woman who had given her directions yesterday had told her), then turned back to Ealius, an eager smile on her face. "Well, let's go, shall we?" Her heartbeat raced for more reasons than one.

Anonymous

He smiled when Ashi said that he could come along. It was an unconscious smile, and when he noticed, he quickly coughed lightly. As his emotions kept him from speaking for now, he had time to examine Ashi. She seemed nice enough, and was very beautiful, at least to him, but obviously she had some secrets, and pains. He could tell from the look on her face, that she had been thinking of something that caused her pain. Eal really did want to hug her right then. To comfort her. He drop kicked that out of his mind. She wouldn't want him hugging her, not really, after all, they had just met.

Ealius blushed also, as Ashi teased him by telling him he was a flatterer. His emotions were getting him into trouble, causing him to be out of his bounds, to act like he has never acted before. Oh how he wanted to hold her . . . Eal looked away from Ashi at that moment, hoping that she was not skilled in seeing what he wanted in his eyes. The moment passed, and Eal returned his gaze to Ashi. They had begun walking at this point, and Eal was still troubled by Ashi's pain.

It took much courage for him to get the nerve to do what he was about to do. He spun in front of Ashi and held her from moving with his hands on her shoulders. He cocked his head and took a breath to speak. "Something is troubling you, or was at least." He looked deep into her eyes, trying not to let his emotions get the better of him at this point. "I can tell it has something to do with where I come from, with you being a mage . . . maybe more then even I can see out of you." He released her from his grip and bowed his head. "I apologize for that, but could you please answer me? It troubles me to see you in pain from memories."

Anonymous

Ooh! Happy Birthday! I'll probably have to delete this post later. But this way, I at least get to say it. I hope you have a good one.

Anonymous

OOC: I'm very sorry for the delay, and thank you for the birthday wishes! ^^

IC: Fortunately for Ealius, Ashi had never been too good at reading deeply into emotions. She only knew what she saw on the surface or heard them say. So when he agreed, she smiled happily and walked along, glad to have a handsome, kind companion to accompany her to Summervale. She wondered what Summervale would be like. She assumed it would be, well, like summer, bright and sunny and cheerful. It sounded like the perfect place for her to be. She was eager to get there, but at the same time, she liked the day-to-day challenges and tasks and regimen of travel. She wondered what it would be like to travel to other places, too...

Ashi was pulled back into the present by Ealius, who now was facing her and had his hands on her shoulders. Her face flushed with embarrassment and the warm, fuzzy feeling she was getting from his touch. It took a moment for her to register his words, but when they did, her feelings plummeted to icy sadness and bit of nervousness. She bit her lip and swallowed before looking up. She broke herself from his grip and faced away from him.

"The Mordecai." It was a long moment before she replied. "They make up the most of my painful memories. One member, specifically..." She bit her lip. She wasn't sure she could tell Ealius about that. She had only just met him, and she wasn't about to go spewing her deepest secrets to him. She did want to tell someone about what had happened, but Ealius... Even if he liked mages, he was still from Connlaoth. What if it was the Mordecai she loved all over again? More betrayal, more hurt... No. She wasn't doing that again. She shook her head and turned back to face him. She began to walk past him, not looking him in the eye, though she wanted to fall into those silvery-purple eyes...

Anonymous

Ooc//: Take your time! No problem. I do hope you had a good one.

Ic: Pain. It was obviously that. And it hurt her a lot. It was so apparent, that Ealius could almost feel tears falling from his eyes. He would not cry though, not yet. Whatever Ashi was feeling, Eal wanted to be there for her, to make sure that she didn't have to bear the pain alone. Then she said it. The Mordecai. It was but two words, and in them, so much pain and so much anguish that Eal took an involuntary step back.

"They make up the most of my painful memories. One member, specifically..."

She stopped. Ealius could tell that she was pondering how much she wanted to say to someone she had just met. It didn't matter any more, Eal already knew. He had always been good at figuring things out such as this. But this time, he really didn't need to think that hard, all he did was put together the pieces to the puzzle that Ashi had given him. She had loved a Mordecai. She had loved one, and whoever it was, had betrayed her. What made it worse, was that she was a mage. He understood a bit more now, a single tear rolled down his face.

She tried to brush past him, her eyes caught his for just a few moments, and he could once again see the misery. He wouldn't allow it! He turned and stopped her. There he stood, with one hand holding Ashi's wrist. Then he spoke. "You loved one didn't you? A Mordecai I mean?" Ealius's expression was one of understanding and sadness, empathetic. "It ended up that he betrayed you?" Ealius grimaced, he was moving too fast. He didn't know what to do anymore, he had thought this all out but . . .

What he did went against his normal behavior. He completely whirled Ashi around and hugged her. As tight as he could without causing pain. He held on, not wanting to let go, of the warmth, of her. After a long moment, Ealius pulled slightly away, but his face was still just inches from hers, and he had tears streaming down his face.

"Ashi, I will change all that, while I may not become a king, I will convince my brother to change how the Connlaoth sees mages." Ealius smiled. "What ever happened, what ever pain you feel, don't dwell on it! I will make sure that you will never feel that pain again in Connlaoth." He paused. "So please, don't run from me, don't take all that pain onto yourself." And no matter how unethical it was, he kissed her. It was just a small one, but still on the lips, and when Ealius regained his senses, he blushed like the world had ended. But perhaps it had just begun.

Anonymous

Ashi wasn't just trying to brush past Ealius, but her memories. She didn't want to dwell on her former pains. Her past was bygone, or at least it should have been, and she wanted to move on to find a happier life in Summervale or wherever she wanted to live or go in her travels. She didn't like bringing up the Mordecai, but... now Ealius was forcing her to look back and remember. She nodded to his, well, not accusations, but his statements showing that he made the connection. She guessed it might have been simple for anyone to figure out.

As he embraced her, her face flushed. He was so close, so warm, and... he smelled good, too. Perhaps that came with the whole prince thing, but he was comforting to her right now. She knew it was happening too fast, but... she didn't want him to stop holding her. It felt good, warm, and her heart was racing like a runaway horse.

She saw the tears on his face and wiped them gently away. She was about to speak when he began to speak and said so many wonderful things. Connlaoth would change, and he was comforting her and easing her in her moment of pain. She smiled, and then, before she knew it, he had kissed her. It had been brief and quick, but still... it was like lightning. She gazed up at him, wide-eyed, almost unable to believe that it had actually happened. "Ealius..." She swallowed and smiled gently. "I thank you for your words, and... more than your words. I'm glad I have a traveling companion such as you." She pressed her head into his shoulder, embracing him again, cheeks burning and eyes starting to water, and yet... She was happy.

Anonymous

She had wiped away his tears that he had cried for her. Strange huh? Not really, not to him. His face was still red from when he had kissed her, but he was determined not to show any signs that he was weaker then his words. Eal's own bright, purple eyes stared deep into Ashi's, at the moment, larger then normal eyes. Then she thanked him, not just for comforting her in her past, but being someone who cared. Ashi suddenly was hugging him again, her head against his shoulder. His heart was pounded harder then it had ever done before, his face almost felt on fire. He couldn't really understand this that well, not until it hit him. He was in love. Strange wasn't it? To fall in love with someone after just meeting them? Perhaps it was the strings of fate that had pulled them together like this. Soulmates. He had heard that word from the mouths of adults, and how there was no such thing. Liars. Ashi, in front of him, was living proof that there was!

He could feel tears dampening his shirt, but he did not care, he wrapped his arms also, around Ashi, a love that may never love back, but still someone that he loved. How ironic was that? A prince of the land that destroys mages just fell in love with one. Ironic, but he did not care one bit that he fell in love with a mage. Mages were just a title. He looked past that, he looked into their heart, and what he saw in Ashi, was someone pure, someone who was truly not tainted by the evils that Connlaoth had. She was far stronger then even she possible could know. He pushed Ashi gently away from him a few feet, and he smiled. "You know what it strange?" He laughed just for a moment. "I just fell in love with you." There, he had said it. He had said something that he thought he would never say to anyone in his life because he believed that he wouldn't be able to find someone to love.

Eal pulled Ashi into a hug again, letting his head rest on top of hers, lightly. He could not believe that in naught a day, he had fallen in love. Sighing slightly, not in annoyance, sleepiness, but in . . . happiness. Love was fleeting, and he never hoped to have been able to grab onto it. "You know," His voice cracked. "I have not been fair, I have not asked your feelings, I have comforted you in your time of need, but instead I took advantage of you." He released himself from her and bowed low. "And for that I apologize. I know not whether or not you love me, for we have but only just met, but I can tell you that I do truly love you." He turned away from Ashi, not trusting himself to look at her.  "I am a fool, to believe that you might love me back, but fools even fools have to hope, right?" He turned and quickly kissed her again, a fleeting kiss, before he turned and started walking. " . . . Let's . . . move . . ." His mind wasn't on walking, it was hoping. Hoping for love, but ready for nothing but rejection.