Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The customer is always right. And that's terrible. [Shizzy]

Started by Anonymous, August 13, 2010, 02:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

While not one of the most well known groups of hired swords, Ozel's boys were at least prominent enough to have their own headquarters. They bragged about this like it was some sort of huge achievement. Kri realized upon her arrival that the building was crammed between two newer, nicer shops. Some patches of its drooping roof were actually missing shingles. The edges of the wood paneling on the walls had rotted away, leaving gaping holes. Kri fumbled to fit the key into the doorknob, jiggled it, jiggled it harder, and eventually just kicked the damn thing open. The entire building, including the hanging sign that faintly read "Ozel Military Contractors," swayed from the force of the blow.

It was now clear to her why she, the newest member of the company, was chosen to be on "office duty" today. The half-orc's previous comment gained some context: "We get word of mouth. A guy who knows a guy who knows us, that sort of thing. Curb appeal's less important." Kri wondered why so many potential customers, after looking at this barely-standing piece of shit, didn't just up and walk away.

Realizing that the building wouldn't have any visitors, Kri disobeyed her orders to stay in full armor ("It makes you look more present'ble, like") and piled her plates behind the front desk. She propped her greatsword on the wall nearby, hoping that its weight wouldn't break a hole in the wall. The oread then took a seat and began the tedious process of waiting until her shift was over.

Another thing that Ozel and the others had failed to mention was that somehow, despite the distinct slits in the wall paneling, their "headquarters" retained heat like an oven -- and it was in the middle of the summer. Attempts to remedy this problem by opening the two windows and the door were barely helpful. Kri flopped back onto her chair, defeated and miserable, trying her best to distract herself from the horrible situation she'd found herself in. There were still hours left before she was allowed to leave.

Anonymous

Through the door of the building would rush in a somewhat dirty looking man. He was faint of breath, and was smudged in dirt. He seemed to be dressed somewhat in furs and clothes more suited for that of a hunter. Probably because he was a hunter actually. He even had a bow and a quiver of arrows strapped to his back. His green eyes were wide and wild, his usually tanned skin was a little pale, and he seemed to be shaking somewhat. He slammed the door behind him, despite the sweltering heat inside the office, panting furiously as he turned to look for...anyone that was there.

The only person that he saw was someone behind the desk, a woman who had a very large sword beside her and everything.

"I n-need to hire some mercenaries!" The man cried out as he rushed forward to the desk, placing his hands on the surface of it as he tried to catch his breath. "T-there's something in the woods, stuck in one of my traps. At first I thought it was a human...it had one of my cl-claw traps around his leg...he...he was screaming for help...and when I started to get close I n-noticed that something w-was off...and that's wh-when his face started to fall off! Plop! Right onto the ground the next minute...and this great white skinned monster was staring at me." The man was obviously quite frightened and now a little high strung. Though his story was outrageous, he didn't appear to be lying about it. After all, if it was a lie, who would believe it?

"I j-just ran...r-really fast...the creature had been wearing a man's face. Like a mask! I would have...would have shot it with my arrows but..." The man slumped down into a chair. "I was so afraid..." At least he was starting to collect himself and not seem like a frightened rabbit anymore. The man took a few deep breaths, but every time he closed his eyes he just saw the monster there...staring at him.

"It's...it's north west. I'll play fifty gold if you'll send someone to kill it." The man took out a small change purse of money. It was a lot of gold to him, but as a hunter he could make more. Well. Not if he knew that a monster that wore people's faces was hiding in the woods somewhere. Then he'd never go back in. He was hopeful that these people would deal with it for him...

If they didn't, he'd definitely talk about it in the taverns.