Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A new Leaf, so to Speak?

Started by XIII, March 15, 2011, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XIII

A thinly decorated forest spread out in all directions, close enough to civilization to see the effects of human interaction, but still wild enough that animals moved freely. Off to the west slightly, some several meters away, was an open air building that acted as both a home and a hospital of sorts. The air was fresh with the scent of freshly cut flowers, all arranged carefully in a basket with other plants, herbs, and fungi. All except the flowers, which were exclusively for decoration, were medicinal supplies. The one collecting them looked like she might be kin to some of the cut greens carried in her basket. She was wearing a simple knee length skirt and a sort of wrapping that covered a fair bit of her torso, but nothing else. Claire was humming a light tune to herself as she casually walked the area that surrounded her home, looking for more ingredients to bring back to her patients. Some were sick, others injured, but she knew that all of them needed her help if they were going to recover. She ceased her humming long enough to lean down and inspect a little fern-like thing growing near the base of a tall tree. Seeing it as something she could use, the green skinned woman pulled out a small stone knife and carefully cut away at the base of the plant.

Placing the small plant into her basket with the others, Claire sat down next to the tree, intent on taking a short break. She had, after all, been working nonstop since before the sun was over the horizon. Unwrapping a small loaf of bread and a water skin from a cloth pouch on her herb basket, she sat the small meal before her and dug her fingers into the soft soil. "Thank you. dear Brother, for letting me have such a lovely day. And such wonderful looking food. I promise I'll make you proud." Her pseudo-prayer finished, the Cytocast dug into her meal with a sort of quiet slowness, with no intent on rushing herself.

Anonymous

Meanwhile, not far from this rather peaceful scene another young woman was on the approach, and she was in a very big hurry.

Alicia ran through the forest, weaving nimbly from tree to tree. Somewhere around here, she knew there was a village; if she could just make it, she could find somewhere to hide and lay low for a while. Her pursuer hadn't shown himself for a while, but she knew better than to stop and rest. The last time she made that mistake resulted in the wound on her shoulder that even now ached more than it should. It was fortunate that she was already under cover of the trees at that time, or the arrow that struck her may have found a more vital target.

Still, whatever was in or on that arrow - probably iron - wasn't having a good effect on her ability to escape. She was slowing down and she could feel it; if she could just stop to heal herself it would be fine, but doing so would give her pursuer time to catch up. Hiding out in La'marri would be her only hope. Fortunately, she knew that it couldn't be much further off.

It was then that the young rogue half-stumbled her way into a clearing. At any other time she would have stopped to appreciate the look and smells of the place, but at the moment, survival was her number one concern. If this was indeed La'marri, then it was unlikely that her pursuer would risk attacking her within its limits, but she didn't feel like taking any risks. She approached the first person she saw, who happened to be green and sitting by a tree, almost threatening to blend in. Undoubtedly, her approach would have already gotten the attention of the plantlike woman.

"I need...a place...to hide," she breathed out as she tried to catch her breath. "Please help."

XIII

Claire glanced up, noticing movement nearby. From between a pair of trees came a young woman, who couldn't have been much younger than the plant-woman was, half stumbling in her run to apparently get away from something. Claire was somewwhat shocked, but not incredibly surprised by the sudden appearance. Refugees came to La'Marri from all over, and their journeys were usually long. She was staring intently at the newcomer when she heard it. Those words, "Please help."

In an instant, her lunch forgotten, Claire had stood up and was rushing to the woman's side to help her. As she looked the refugee over, Claire noticed her injuries. Reaching underneath the girl's shoulders, the Cytocast propped her new patient up. "Hold on sweetie. My home is just over there," she indicated the direction with her free hand. "You'll be safe there, and I can remove that arrow from you. Just please mind not to disturb my other patients."

Walking at a somewhat slow pace to make sure that her companion could keep up, Claire made her way back to the building. She made a mental note of coming back to get her herbs, after she had helped this woman settle down. "Now, you said that you needed to hide? That'll be fine, my room is on the second story and the ladder retracts. Do you think that you could make it up there with your shoulder, or will I need to hide you on the bottom floor?"

Anonymous

Alicia was actually a little surprised that this woman was so willing to help. Evidently, she had made the right decision in choosing to flee here. She didn't realize just how exhausted she was until the green woman came to offer support. Initially she leaned a little more heavily than intended, but the pricking of thorns from the woman's shoulders put a quick stop to that. Alicia nodded lightly when she pointed out their destination, but then her savior said something that made her pause.

Patients? Great, I just led them straight to a bunch of sick people. Stay classy, Alicia.

"They're still coming," she said with urgency between breaths, not quite ready to slow down just yet. Alicia wasn't too thrilled with the idea of involving a hospital in her escape, but it was too late to turn back. As they made their way into the building, Alicia found the ladder that was mentioned, looking up along the way toward the hole into which it led.

"I think I can make it up," she responded. "Still got one good arm, at least."

Going up the ladder seemed a better option, anyway; one that would allow her to be more inconspicuous and less likely to draw trouble for the other patients. Alicia didn't hesitate to climb the indicated ladder, which would prove to be a tricky feat with an injured arm. She made it eventually, practically falling over when she made it to the top, but reminding herself not to roll over on the right shoulder. She lay there for a moment, finding it remarkable how comfortable a hard floor could be in the right situation. She eventually brought herself to sit up, looking to see if her host followed her up.

XIII

Claire moved swiftly through the ground floor of her home, speaking briefly to patients and collecting certain ingredients that she knew that she would need. Once the required items had been fetched, she made her way over to the ladder. Before ascending, she turned and smiled, "Alright everyone, I'm going up to take care of a refugee. Now, she says that there are people looking for her? And what do we say to that, cousins?" From all over the ward, a variety of voices chimed in in unison that they had no idea who the girl was and had never seen her. Letting out a small giggle, Claire clapped and waved a final goodbye to her patients. She then climbed the ladder, being mindful not to step on her guest as she reached the floor of her room.

Once she reached the top, the Cytocast immediately pulled the ladder up and closed the trap door that led down to the ground floor. Now, anyone who tried to snoop around would be hard pressed to find the hidden upper room.

Turning to her guest, Claire knelt before her and started laying out her medical supplies. "You don't need to worry. Most of the people here are refugees. They know what its like to be on the run. None of them will snitch on you... hm, I don't think I ever got your name, miss. I'm Claire. Claire Martin."

As she spoke, Claire lightly touched the girl's wounded shoulder, looking her over for other injuries. Here she noticed where her thorns had torn slightly at the other's arm. "Oh my, I'm terribly sorry about my thorns. I had completely forgotten to shear them off this morning. Regardless, this Arrow doesn't look to have too thick of a head. So I'll be able to remove it fairly simply. It will be painful though, and you won't be able to fully use this arm for at least a few days. Is that alright with you?" She knew that it seemed silly to ask permission to heal the girl, but Claire had encountered those who refused treatment for any number of reasons.

Anonymous

Remarkable.

Alicia had never met any of these people before, but already they were willing to look out for her. She would have expected at least a little resistance to the idea of taking her in. After all, she had to be running from someone, and that someone could prove violent in pursuit. It would be enough to make her feel warm inside if she wasn't preoccupied with the arrow sticking out of her. Still, the gesture did not go unappreciated.

Once she was set up in that upper room, Alicia was happy not to move for a while. Absentmindedly, her left hand moved to touch lightly at the wound on her arm. It certainly could be worse as far as the shape of arrowheads go, but the wound already looked more infected than it really should. She withdrew her hand quickly from the pain her own probing caused, wincing slightly.

"Oh, where are my manners," she responded with a wry half-grin that suggested they were hardly a concern. "I'm Alicia Yates." With this the young rogue paused for a moment to glance toward the trapdoor through which they'd just arrived. "I really appreciate this. Just don't let anyone get themselves in trouble on my account, alright?"

It was then that she noticed Claire prodding at the wound. She resisted every urge to pull away, letting the flowery woman do her thing. At the mention of thorns, Alicia glanced where she remembered being pricked. She was bleeding a little under the arm, but it wasn't something she was concerned about. With a light shake of the head, she gave Claire the best lighthearted smile she could manage. "Don't worry about the thorns. They're not the worst thing to happen to me today. Just get that arrow quick; I think it's iron. I'm ready for it."

Turning her head away, Alicia closed her eyes for a moment. She took a deep breath as she waited for the offending arrow to be pulled out.

XIII

Claire let out a small laugh, gentle and motherly in nature. "Alicia then. Lovely name. Don't you worry a bit though, about my patients. They might be sick, but they can fend for themselves. Besides... Brother would never let them get hurt." Her eyes turned soft and listless for a moment, as though she were thinking of something she'd forgotten before. But that look faded quickly as she refocused on the task at hand.

Claire took a handful of leaves from her medical supplies and began chewing them up slowly. She would need the poultice they made in just a moment.With one hand, Claire grasped the shaft of the arrow, while the other pressed down on Alicia's shoulder. She knew that this must hurt the girl, so the Cytocast acted quickly. With a swift jerking motion, she yanked the arrow from its spot in the girl's shoulder, taking a bit more flesh than she might have wanted with it.

Moving swiftly, Claire spat out the plant-gum and spread it lightly around the entry point of the wound. That would numb the wound itself as well as quicken the pace at which blood clotted. Two things that were desperately needed for such a wound. She then pressed down lightly over the wound with a layer of cloth, further stopping the flow of blood. "There we go. All better. Now we just have to let it clot," Claire half sang to her companion as she tied a sort of bandage around the compress, keeping it in place.

"Now we just have idle time. Would you like anything to eat, or drink? And while we have the time, why don't you tell me why you're being chased, dear?"

Anonymous

Alicia gave a nod. She didn't know who this Brother was that Claire spoke of, but she decided to take the green woman's word for it.

This wasn't the first time she'd ever had an arrow pulled out, but it wasn't exactly something that was easy to get used to. Alicia held in her response as well as she could, in case her pursuers were already within hearing distance if she got too loud. Still she let out an audible, pained grunt as the object was removed, taking a few extra bits of her with it. It took her a moment to recompose herself while the wound was properly dressed. It wasn't until then that she opened her eyes to look again.

"Look at that," she said with a light grin. "There I go bleeding all over your floor. I'm such a horrible guest." It was becoming a lot easier to relax with the poultice's numbing effect, and she scooted toward the nearest thing to lean against. Idle time was definitely something she could do with, as well as some food - she'd been on the run more or less since morning. But there came a point when she felt like she was taking too much advantage of her host.

"I don't want to be a bother; you've done enough to save my ass as it is," she said. Responding to the thought of food, her stomach gave an inaudible protest. "...But if you happen to have something handy I wouldn't turn it down." Her grin turned almost apologetic for a moment, until she thought about the question of why she was here. Alicia was a little reluctant to respond; not because she felt bad at all for what she did, but because some people didn't like the idea of thievery, no matter who from. However, she felt this woman had earned honesty with her kindness.

"As for why I'm running? Apparently slavers don't like it too much when you steal their money and set their camp on fire." She laughed lightly as memories of the event returned; that was the fun part of this predicament she was in. Her uninjured arm slipped around to untie a medium-sized pouch from her waist, which was then lifted before her, heavy with coin. "There's no way I need this much, though. You accepting donations?"

XIII

A quick nod and a smile greeted Alicia's approval of food, and off Claire was again, crossing the room and opening a cabinet. "Don't worry too much about the blood. I'm used to it. Although, I'm afraid I have no meat of which to speak. Any I get I usually give to my wards, to help make them stronger. Regardless, I think I still have something..." Her voice trailed off as she struggled to reach into the back of a top shelf.  "Aha! Here we are!"

Lowering herself from her tiptoe position and turning around, Claire had a small cloth bundle in her hands. "A gift from a refugee who I healed some time ago. His baking is simply the best." Crossing back over to where Alicia sat, the green skinned woman sat down and unwrapped the bundle. There on the cloth were four fist-sized rolls, glazed with honey to help preserve the berries that could be seen splotched within each piece of bread. "Go ahead and dig in. They're very good, but I don't think I could handle eating them all before they'd go bad."

Claire picked up one of the rolls and, after thanking her Brother for the meal, took a small bite while she listened to the other girl's explanation for her running. Nodding slowly, she smiled softly, "Well, I can't say I agree with you stealing, but I suppose that there are necessary evils. But I can't accept that money. Most everything I use comes straight from my Brother. He gives me the herbs, roots, and everything else I need to heal. I just have to go out and collect it. So I really have no use for the money."

Anonymous

Alicia chuckled lightly. "Believe me, I'm not feeling particularly picky about what I eat right now. You could give me a piece of tree bark to chew on and I wouldn't complain. ...much." She continued to sit, her shoulder giving only the occasional dull throb to remind her it wasn't happy. Still, a great improvement from its condition at the time she had arrived.

When Claire mentioned the gift from another refugee, Alicia smiled a little as her thoughts turned to the other patients below. "You must be popular around here," she thought aloud. "And with good reason. I don't know a lot of people who would complain about free healing...except maybe the people who hurt them in the first place." That thought made her pause with a slight frown. What this woman was doing was undoubtedly a very good thing, but the more she treated people who someone wanted dead, the more she would draw attention from the wrong kinds of people. She hated to think what would happen if such people grouped up enough to give her trouble, but she was just cynical enough to believe that it could happen.

But they wouldn't. Not if there was anything she could do abou- ooh that smells delicious.

Whatever unpleasant thought was going through her mind at the time the rolls were revealed was immediately thrown out. The stomach picked up the nose's message and immediately demanded precedence over all else, because food was here. The bag of gold in her hand was dropped and forgotten for the moment as she reached for one of the rolls. "In that case, I'd be happy to help you finish them," she said cheerfully before she took a bite. "Thith ith delithiouth!"

Brief flashbacks of a scolding mother came to mind immediately, reminding her to not to talk with her mouth full. After this initial slip, Alicia patiently chewed her food and swallowed before speaking again. "About the whole stealing thing. The way I see it, if I didn't take it then that coin would only be used to help the slavers recover from their losses, so that they'd just be right back out there taking people from their homes all the sooner. That money would find a better home in the pockets of people who could really use it. Someone who's down on their luck and having a hard time, you know?" She shrugged lightly; hopefully Claire would understand.

"I really can't thank you enough for all this," Alicia continued. "If you weren't here, I'd be either dead or getting carted off in shackles to be someone's slave. There must be something I can do to repay your kindness." Alicia bit into the roll again as she thought. She figured that Claire would probably turn the idea of a reward down, but Alicia was determined to do something nice in return. By the time she swallowed the next bite, she had an idea.

"How about this: I need to lay low for a while anyway, right? Give those guys time to move on and my shoulder time to heal. I've had some training with healing magic; I'm not great with it, but maybe I'm good enough to at least lend you a hand around here until I can go. How does that sound?"

After this she paused again; something Claire said about her 'brother' left her curious. Why would someone bring her supplies but make her go out to get them? "...So wait. If your brother brings you the supplies you need, why do you still need to go out and get them?"

XIII

Claire finished off her roll and smiled, nodding in agreement with Alicia, "Oh of course. The folks who actually do the injuring are never really happy with me. But they leave me alone. I hate violence, but it can be another one of those necessary evils." She stood up with a smile as the other girl began eating her own food with delight, bowing slightly. "Let me get you some water. You'll be wanting some once the honey starts sticking in your mouth." Crossing the room again, Claire this time took the water jug from the table beside her own small cot and walked back with it. She sat down and took a small sip for herself before setting the jug itself down for Alicia.

She nodded in agreement with Alicia, commenting with affirmatives to what the girl was saying to justify her thievery. Then the girl offered once again to reward Claire for her kindness. The Cytocast opened her mouth to protest, but Alicia continued before she could argue. "Help me with my healing? Well, I don't know. It would allow me to keep an eye on your wound, and I'm sure I could use the help." With a sigh, Claire shook her head and gave Alicia that motherly smile she was so good at. "Well then, I guess we have a deal then. Stay as long as you like, Alicia, I'll have a cot put up here for you by tonight."

Claire was certain that that was the end of their truly meaningful conversation, at least for now. But yet again, the other girl continued to speak and her words, like before, surprised Claire and made her think. This time, about things not so pleasant to the memory. With a heavy sigh, she looked listlessly at the corner of the room. "He died, years ago trying to protect me. I buried him, and now he provides for me. Herbs and flowers that I used to not be able to get thrive now in the place where my brother rests. The spot, actually, where I met you this day." Blinking a few times to hold tears back, Claire returned to her smile and waved the melancholy away. "Regardless, we should talk about happy things," her voice sounded unnaturally cheerful, as though she would do anything to get away from that particular subject.

Claire searched around the almost bare room looking for something, anything to strike up new conversation about. Just something that would let her take her mind off of her brother's death, which she still viewed as her fault. She began pulling the thorns off of her shoulders and upper arms, a nervous habit. Each one that she pulled left a tiny indention in her skin, which filled with a sap-like liquid that was the equivalent of a person's blood.

Anonymous

Alicia nodded. It was good to know that Claire could at least defend herself if needed, although it was a little hard to imagine her being violent. Clearly it just wasn't in her nature, but the necessity of it was a sad fact of the world. With her mouth full once again, Alicia simply nodded at the offer of water. By the time Claire returned with the jug, the roll was gone. "Oh, thank you," she said before lifting the jug to take a hefty gulp. Apparently she had worked up a bit of a thirst, as well.

The jug was set back down as she awaited the response to her suggestion. The way she saw it, it was an offer she could hardly refuse. Still, Alicia smiled brightly when she accepted. "Great! You won't regret it, I promise. I'm not the kind of person who does well sitting idle all day, anyway." It was true, too; there were a few people who could tell a lot of stories centered around Alicia's inability to sit still. In fact, that was the very reason she wasn't in Serendipity now, being a good little priestess.

The smile wouldn't remain, however; it morphed quickly into a frown as Claire spoke of her brother. Just by looking at her Alicia could tell it was a painful memory. Her brother died to protect her? How sad, she thought. It made her think of her own brother, who would probably do the very same thing for her, if it came down to it. She could only imagine what it would be like if he died.

"Oh, I'm sorry," was all she could really say, her voice showing genuine sympathy. Clearly the green woman didn't want to speak more on the matter, and was looking for other topics of conversation. Not wanting to push the matter, Alicia would do so as well. After a few moments she came up with something that would hopefully not cross too far into speaking-of-dead-brother territory.

"So how did you get started with the healing thing? There must have been a time when you didn't have a building full of patients."

XIII

Claire let out a heavy sigh of relief as her companion suggested a new topic for them to discuss. Feeling herself beginning to dry, Claire took another drink of the water, a good deal more than the sip she had taken before. As she spoke, the green skinned woman brushed away the discarded thorns from her skirt, smoothing out the fabric  as she did. "Well, when my brother and I were children, we ran away from home. Our father was abusive, you see, and we figured that we could survive better without his constant misuse. My brother was a decent hunter, and he kept us alive. I knew magic, but that only aided us if and when we were attacked; I was more or less useless at hunting.  Going from place to place, we performed menial tasks for coin, though we really needed no money to survive. With the money, we instead bought supplies so that we could make our way here to La'Marri where we knew we would be safe. That was when I got my first book of the healing arts. I fell in love with it and decided that was going to be my profession."

Here Claire stopped, smiling and gesturing over to a corner of the room, where a well worn book stood on a pedestal, like a place of honor. "We made the treacherous journey on foot. We had to, no one wanted sickly looking green children on their caravan. It was a pretty long journey, but I was glad to have my brother there. We finally arrived and, finding a spot of land that no one else had laid claim to, we set out to build ourselves a home. Brother, when I asked him, had been more than happy to make the place larger, so that it could accommodate patients if I ever received them. And after a while, I did. They came at first only one or two at a time, and didn't stay very long. They saw that I was... inexperienced, and risked finding a more competent medic."

Pausing again, Claire once again took up the water jug, this time taking a rather large gulp of the liquid. Remembering that she needed to leave some for her guest, Claire quickly put the container down and wiped her mouth. "Apologies. I seem to be drier than I usually am this time of day." She reasoned that it was because she had not been allowed to drink the water she had taken with her to the clearing, but she wasn't about to tell Alicia that. "Now, where was I? Oh yes, of course. Well, to cut a boringly long story short, some twelve odd years ago, I was caring for a severely wounded man. He was almost ready to leave when, unfortunately, the men who had been the ones to cause his injuries arrived. My brother fought them as long as he could, but in th end both my brother and my patient were dead. I was distraught, and then the men set fire to my home. I lost it, for lack of a better term. Some of the men escaped, but the ones that didn't. I buried them all in the clearing next to my brother. It was, after all, the right thing to do. It took me three years of hard labor, but I eventually rebuilt my home the way you see it now."

As Claire finished her tale, she seemed more relaxed. She seemed used to telling that particular story, but nothing about her appeared upset or pained. "Sorry if my story is kind of depressing. I look at it this way. If my life wasn't the way it was, I wouldn't be here today. My brother's death, though difficult, helped me learn to do things for myself. I would have never learned that lesson if he were still around."

Anonymous

Alicia listened quietly as Claire told her story, glad that she seemed to be in more comfortable territory. The rogue would refrain from comment as the plantlike woman spoke, opting instead to listen with genuine interest. Clearly, life hadn't been easy for Claire or her sibling - it was another one of those cases that made Alicia feel somewhat guilty for having been born into the easy life of a noble. She may have had her own way of getting out in the world and learning to fend for herself while looking out for others, but at least her path was one of her own choosing. It seemed Claire lacked that luxury of choice.

Alicia would give a wave of the hand and shake of the head at Claire's apology. She wasn't about to get mad at her host for drinking her own water. Still, she would wait until she finished speaking to finally respond. "That's quite a story," she said, pausing a moment to take a sip from the jug. "My father always used to say that it's the hardest times that make us better people, like steel tempered in the heat of a forge. At least, that's what he'd tell my brother back when he was training for knighthood, in between the both of them trying to keep me out of every hard time they could. Funny how that works," she said with a grin.

"Still, looks like you've really done well for yourself. Your brother would be proud, I bet."

XIII

Claire stood up slowly and ruffled Alicia's hair lightly. "Yeah, I know he is. That's what I tell myself every day and that's what keeps me going." Claire lifted her staff, a beautiful piece of mahogany with a tiny intricately carved Stag head as a topped, from its spot in the corner.

Walking toward the trapdoor that led down to the ground floor. "I need to go collect some more ingredients and take care of a few more errands. You will be needing sleep. I can't have my apprentice falling asleep on the job. And besides that, sleeping will help your wound start to heal faster."

She opened the heavy wooden hatch but did not lower the ladder down. "I'll be back to redress your shoulder in a few hours or so. Be sure to let me in if you're awake." And with that, she jumped down to the ground, obviously used to such a feat, to head off back into the forest.

(OoC: small post)

Anonymous

Alicia grinned slightly when her hair was ruffled - it was something her brother always liked to do, so it made her think of him. Her good hand moved the errant strands that had fallen into her face as she watched Claire go. Sleep certainly did sound like a good idea, and it wasn't like she was going anywhere any time soon. "A good nap sounds like the best idea I've heard all day," she said as she began the slow process of rising to her feet. "You don't mind if I borrow the bed, do you?"

After receiving her answer and seeing the woman go, Alicia settled herself down on the bed (or floor). She took off her boots and unstrapped her dagger, setting them aside but not too far off. When she lay down after that, it wouldn't be long until she was asleep. Running for miles had a way of taking it out of you.

Down below, Claire would probably receive reports of three human men who came shortly after Alicia's arrival. They would have asked for someone matching her description, calling her a 'thief' as well as many other unpleasant names. When/if they were told that she hadn't been there, the men grew belligerent, but not aggressive, and eventually left. They seemed to be absolutely positive that their target was there.

XIII

Several hours had passed before Claire's eventual return, and the sun was just beginning to sink below the horizon.

Claire entered her loft-room, carrying a bundle of supplies in her arms. She quietly went about work, putting things in their proper places, hanging herbs up to dry, and adjusting objects along their shelves. She had a quietly brooding appearance, as though she had a lot on her mind. "Brother... help me..." She repeated these words in a hushed voice every few seconds, like a mantra of magical protection or the like.

She had reason to be worried though. The men that had come by. They had been determined, one of her patients had said. They would be back to collect the girl, one way or another. They wouldn't spare any expense, Claire already knew. And so, with a heavy heart, the green skinned woman had sent her patients to a friend, further in La'Marri, where they would be safe.

Crossing to where the girl slept, Claire gently shook Alicia to wake her. "Alicia, please be awake. You need to go now. The men will return after sunset, and I cannot guarantee your safety. The other patients are staying with a friend, and you should be with them. If anything happened to you... to any of you... Oh Brother help me."

Anonymous

Alicia had only meant to take a bit of a nap, but by the time Claire returned she was still out cold. It wasn't until she was shaken that Alicia would stir, and even then it was with some reluctance. She was aware that Claire was speaking and that there was some sense of urgency to her voice, so she sat up as her waking mind attempted to process the information. When they did, she was about ready to kick herself.

"They're coming?" she asked, suddenly seeming fully awake. Great, so she had caused trouble for Claire after all. Those men would be out for blood - but it was her blood they were after. They were her problem, and she would deal with them. "How long do we have?" she asked as she turned to put her boots back on. Her right arm still ached as she tried to move it, but at least it was movable. Once finished she grabbed her dagger, stood and turned to Claire.

"I'm not running anymore," she said. "I'm the one who brought this on you, so I should be the one to deal with it. I'm the one they're after anyway; you go on ahead with your friends." Figuring the green woman probably wouldn't like this response, Alicia gave her a smile and rested a hand on her shoulder - being careful to avoid any thorns. "Don't worry, it'll be okay. I don't plan on letting them hurt anyone, myself included."

Alicia's pursuers were indeed coming, but not in force. There hadn't been enough time to go for reinforcements, and it was difficult to pay for mercenaries with all of your money stolen. Even so, they were foul-tempered, angry, and out for blood.

XIII

Claire's voice held a firmness as of yet unheard by her companion as she spoke. "No, I won't leave you to die. They made the decision to come after you, and I made the decision to take you in. La'Marri is a place of refuge. If they want to try break the peace, they'll see just how fiercely it'll be defended."

That said, Claire went to work, grabbing up her staff as well as a basket containing various plants and pre-made medicines. Handing a cloth wrapped bundle over to Alicia, she nodded to the girl. "I figured that you wouldn't leave though. Eat this, it's another one of the rolls from earlier, but I laced it with a pain killer. You won't be able to feel the pain in your arm after a few minutes. That should be enough help for you to at least be able to defend yourself."

Pulling the ladder down so that Alicia could make her way to the ground, Claire jumped nimbly down and stood, her staff in hand, ready for the attackers whenever they should come.

Anonymous

(Sorry 'bout the delay.)

Alicia's face contorted into a light grin with the change of Claire's tone. Normally she wouldn't approve of making her come along, but after the story she had been told earlier that day she could scarcely tell the woman no. Not to mention the added support would certainly be nice; Alicia considered herself skilled, but three on one were not odds she liked. "Great!" she responded, her voice almost a little too upbeat.

Halfway to the room's exit she was stopped when Claire offered her a bundle. She quickly unwrapped the bundle, staring for a moment at the roll contained therein. Pain killers? That would probably be useful. It was just too bad she wouldn't really have the time to properly enjoy the food. "Oh, that'll be helpful," she said before taking a large bite. Sadly, there would be no time to simply pause and enjoy it this time. Once Claire had jumped down, Alicia would waste no time in climbing after.

"Okay," she said when she reached the bottom, her mouth half-full of roll. "Let's get moving. If we hurry we can-" but it was too late. Just then movement caught her eye as three shapes came into view. It was a trio of human males, all varying in size and shape. One of the three was clad in leather and furs; he carried a crossbow and quiver, as well as a longsword for close quarters. Another seemed dressed in fairly common clothing and seemed fairly unimpressive, but the staff he carried implied there was more to him that what met the eye. They were led by a taller man in somewhat heavier armor, wielding a greataxe.

"I'm gonna make this real simple," the large man said in less-than-friendly tones. "Hand the bitch over to us and we don't set your little home here on fire."

"Oh, Marek, you always did have a way with words," Alicia taunted, almost looking bored as she finished her roll.