Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The GREAT CONNLAOTHIAN UBERTHREAD

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2011, 03:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

That was not at all what Michael had been expecting. But it made things much, much easier. Reaching out, she placed a hand on his head, "If you like, you can repent and go to God with a clean soul. The fires will cleanse you."

It was the least she could do for him.

Bernard just stared down at his friend, his hand a death grip on Eloise's, "Murray...you stupid ass. You should have told me. We could have figured something out, dealt with those mages. You shouldn't have resorted to magic. Not for me."

Anonymous

"Repenting implies I'm sorry, and I gotta say I'm not. I made my choice. I'd make it again to keep him safe. Even to keep Her," he jerked his head roughly towards Eloise, "safe, because it'd break his heart to lose her. If that sends me downstairs..."

Murray shrugged.

"Geisler, man, if I'd told you I knew, I'd have to tell you how I knew. You're a good man. You've got a sense of duty weighs heavier than this city. What would you have done, eh? After all this time, from before you ever moved your digs to the Palace?"

He shook his head. Oh, that boy...

"Let it lie, man. No hard feelings."

Looshi

The grip Bernard had on her hand was enough to settle her decision.

"Hold, Weiss." Eloise said. If she did not say anything now, if she did not stick out her tongue and bite it off to swallow her pride, she could lose a huge opportunity. And Bernard...How long would it be until that look in his eyes would disappear? That pain, that betrayal so deep she herself could not empathize with.

She smiled towards her husband, wanting him to trust her like he had. She had this. She could make it all better. Eloise needed his backing, she needed him to believe her. While Michael had the right intentions, by all things known Murray was a mage who had used magic. But there were contradictions in his character. She could fall on that. "This is a man who has given up. They are words from the all ready dead. Please pray tell that I am not the only one to notice this?"

"Bernard," She was addressing him specifically. It was a way to make it seem like he, too, came to the same conclusion that she did. "Carwardine had stated he did not know of his magical capacities, it came to him as a shock to be accused of such taint, however since he had been it must be true."

She took her hand off his arm and gestured to the man in chains in front of her. "And yet now he speaks in absolutes. I do not believe he had an epiphany in as little as time. You are giving up, Carwardine, even though there is no evidence. You could be framed. You could very well be innocent but you find this easier."

She wasn't about to bring up the mention of possible other mages involved with attacks against the Grand Duke. It would be a backhanded slap against Michael, Eloise did not need the Mordecai to have more fuel against her. Not now. She needed Bernard before she could risk it.

Anonymous

What in the...

Murray didn't actually notice it when his jaw dropped.

What the flipping hell was she doing?

She hated him. Always bleedin' had. It was a fair cop, to be sure - he didn't like her much either! - but still. The only reason they had anything to do with each other (and reluctantly at that) was 'cause Geisler thought the sun shone out her snatch every morning, and probably the moon out her arsehole each night.

He'd have figured she'd be glad to see the back of him, and yet here she was...trying to save him?

He'd just about resigned himself to dying, too. He'd have liked to live - Ansgar's balls, he wanted to live so badly it hurt - but...some things were more important than what he wanted.

Anonymous

"Ma'am, with all respect, he confessed." Michael wasn't thrilled at the idea there were mages outside the country that were attacking their Grand Duke. That was something she was going to have to look into. Even beyond the boarders, if they threatened her country at all, she would go to them.

It shamed her that she had been utterly unaware of that threat. And she would be getting more out of Carwardine later. That was for sure.

Anonymous

Murray's head snapped to look at Weiss. This was going to be like watching two kids on a seesaw, he could see it already.

Weiss was cranky, too. Real cranky. Soft-spoken still, for sure, and still turning up the deference, but her shoulders were squared tight like she was waiting for a fight. He couldn't help smiling a little - secret-like, not enough for anyone to see he didn't think - at just what it might be that this whole business had spoiled about her evening.

...He could make a pretty good guess.

Sorry Weiss. When you get back...kiss your pretty boyo for me? Haven't had much of a chance for that lately!

Looshi

"All I see are pretty metaphors, albeit a tad bit Serenian in their execution, but metaphors nonetheless." Eloise said. This was going to be difficult. And she hoped to Ansgar that she was making the right decision in trying to turn this in favour of a man she so dearly hated. However, she doubted if Murray was truly a mage, Ansgar would condone her actions and words instead of punish her. She was a woman who was the enemy of everyone, it seemed. Everyone but Bernard. It didn't matter. None of that mattered.

It doesn't matter at all.

"We have no evidence that he has done any sort of magic, present or past." She continued, she needed to remain in control of the direction. It needed to go her way. "Weiss, you said yourself you were brought here by rumors, no less."

"If we put the stake on every paranoid person who thought they did magic when it was the wind who knocked over the potted plant, and confessed when there wasn't an ounce of mage blood in their veins, we'd have more witchhunts on our hands." She said, her voice calm and even. A political tone. "More illegal burnings, more vigilante heroes thinking they are doing the country good by killing those they think are mages without warrant. Are we really going to do the same thing with Carwardine?"

Anonymous

Welp, now he had no idea what was going on!

God help him.

Anonymous

Bernard squeezed his wife's hand, glad she was standing up for his friend. Murray was obviously trying to protect something or someone. There was just no way he was a mage and Eloise was right, his story wasn't adding up.

"Eloise is right. We need not be hasty. Things aren't adding up. What if Murray isn't the magic user and some mage is still roaming free? Working their taint."

Michael just nodded. She wasn't going to argue with the rulers of the country, and like many people, she was well aware the real power behind the throne was the pretty woman just to its right.

"Well, I can...see what I can get out of Carwardine. If I can break his story." And after the shame he brought down on her, she wasn't inclined to be all that gentle at the moment.

Anonymous

He'd never thought of himself as a coward. Scared, yeah, oh hell yeah - some of the hairy situations he'd seen as a young buck, you'd have to be out of your bleedin' skull not to get scared. Just not a coward. Never a coward.

Until now. This horrible, cold, twisting mess that rose in his stomach when Weiss said she'd break him, like he had a gutful of snakes all alive-o and mad as hell...

That was new. That was something beyond fear.

He gulped.

"Make-"

Damn. Try again.

"Make it quick, eh?"

Looshi

She had made the right move, didn't she? So far. Eloise made no illusions, she was walking on unsteady ground. And she had no intention of tripping and falling down a cliff if Ansgar so helped her. She had to get Murray away from Michael. If she knew anything about the Mordecai, from her own dealings with a pride parasite, the woman would be acting with a cold, ruthless, anger towards the accused. Shame. It was a difficult thing to carry.

Eloise turned her grey eyes on Weiss, her expression stoic, "I am not certain you can do that without bias, Weiss. Certainly it must sting...To have mages running under your nose going unnoticed." She said, "our eyes and ears can see and hear what they want them to, not what is truly there."

Eloise found that amusingly ironic that she herself said those things. She was the one spinning webs. "I do not believe that any of us here can contest to an unbiased opinion. At the very least, not at this time."

Anonymous

Michael's face tightened and she had to bite back a snappy comment to Eloise. No shit she wasn't without bias. And then she had to rub the salt in the wounds by reminding her of her shame. But she simply bowed, fist over her heart, "As you say. I will wait until you are ready to have me question him."

Anonymous

Cor.

He never, ever thought he'd see the day when Weiss backed down over a mage hunt. She was as much Geisler's weapon as the man's own sword, and probably at least four times as dangerous.

And here was Eloise Bloody Geisler herself, queen of the ice bitches, able to shut the whole thing down with a sentence!

Huh. No wonder Bernard was so devoted to her. If she was as fierce as all that, she'd have had his bollocks on a silver plate if he so much as thought about anything otherwise, served up nice and ready for him to eat along with his words! The way she was going, she could probably get them to shrivel up and fall off just with a look. One of those looks; he didn't even like women, he'd never liked women, and he still knew well enough about Those Looks.

The question now was pretty simple. He almost didn't dare hope. God knows, he wasn't going to look.

Come on Bernard me boyo, it's on you now. What are you going to do?

Anonymous

Bernard took a long moment before he spoke, mulling over his thoughts. His words were spoken slowly, carefully, "I think that my wife is right. This is not something to be handled in haste. I want the mages found, all of them. Michael, I want you to investigate what Murray said, about the ones to the North. We can't allow them to work against us, work against the natural order."

He looked over his friend, his hand tightening around Eloise's, "We will get to the bottom of all this. Find out what the real story is."

Anonymous

Well, he wasn't dead. Not yet, anyroad.

He might yet kick it when Weiss got back, but...

Yep. For now this would do fine, ta very much.

Looshi

Perfect.

Whilst she might've, most certainly, lost points with Weiss on this case, she luckily didn't play to be anyone's friend. However, Eloise would have to watch her steps, perhaps picking at a wound that had not even begun to scab over was going a tad too far on her part. But, she could only move forwards. Always forwards. If she had the power to fix everything that could have come back to bite her, she would never leave the past.

The sound of Bernard agreeing with her was absolutely wonderful, powerful, invigorating. His voice no longer felt so downtrodden and out of hope. She needed him focused and she gave him a target that would ultimately benefit her own little political upheaval. On top of it all, and on a tangent, her mind wavered to how her slender hand was sweating under her husband's grasp. Ew.

"If it is settled," she began, "then best if we leave Carwardine to mull over this, as well as Bernard." There was still one thing she wanted to do. She wanted to speak with Murray. Alone. Before Weiss had a chance to herself.

Anonymous

He wasn't all that sure what to say once Weiss and Bernard had gone. In some ways - bugger it, in most ways - it was easier now he didn't have to look at Bernard's face, the raw pain in the man's expression like he'd dug a knife in and was twisting it good and proper.

Course, now he was stuck in a cage, with Herself on the other side of the bars. Oh bugger. He had to say, this wasn't exactly what he'd had in mind for a pleasant afternoon's entertainment!

Murray shifted awkwardly from foot to foot.

"Missus...thank you."

Anonymous

"Yes Ma'am." Weiss gave a sharp salute, then turned on her heel, body stiff with anger. That bitch hadn't needed to rub her raw wounds. She had served them well for years and apparently that meant nothing.

Bernard gave a small sigh when Michael left. He was glad she had left, her temper was too high. But he was sad to see her insulted like that. He would have to make it up to her. He leaned over, kissing his wife's hair, "Don't be too long."

He trusted her. Trusted her to figure this all out.

Then he headed out. Maybe he would find the kids, sit with them for a while until his head cleared.

Looshi

"I promise I won't take long, love." Eloise said, her hand lingering a little while longer in Bernard's grasp until the distance between them was too far to hold on for. She watched her husband's back until she was certain both him and Weiss were out of range for listening. Then, she turned to Carwardine.

What was she going to do with him? That could have been an exasperated thought, one more suited to an owner looking down at a dog that had just chewed up the very expensive and imported decorative pillows. Or, it could have been literal.

"Your thanks is early." She said, crossing her arms. He shouldn't be thanking her at all, there was nothing to be grateful for. Carwardine seemed to forget that he was still bound in chains that have not moved an inch. "I have done nothing but stall your interrogation with Weiss. Do not waste the time I bought for you, use it to get your story straight." And by story she meant: You better say exactly what I tell you to.

Anonymous

"I'll not lie to him. Don't you ask me to lie to him."

He'd never yet told a boldfaced lie to Geisler, and by god he didn't intend to. Grateful as he was...Eloise the Icy would just have to suck it up.