Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Short Story; Rain and Honey

Started by CastlesInTheSky, June 14, 2011, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

Rain poured down from the sky as a young woman, barely twenty one, tried to find a place to be. She stumbled on the uneven sidewalk, tears streaming down from her cheeks. Anywhere, anywhere but home. As she ran down the sidewalk of her town, she spotted a store, warm light glowing from within. She hastily entered the shop, hoping her tears would be excused as water from the rain. She leaned against the wall next to the door, burying her face in her hands.
"Can I help you, miss?"
A concerned voice from behind the counter startled her out of her thoughts. She hadn't even seen anyone over there a minute ago. Then again, she was a mess. She looked at the man who had spoken. He was young as well, probably just a bit older. His brown hair was short and a bit messy. He gestured her over, reaching behind the counter and handing her a piece of candy almost soaked in honey. She ate it slowly, savoring the sweetness that was almost too much. She asked if she could have another, quietly, and he gave her one. She almost choked on how sweet it all was, but she didn't care. Not right now. The man said, "You know, too much of something sweet can make things sour, right?" She gave him an empty smile. "I've had so much bitter in my life that I might as well add as much sweet as I can. Bittersweet is better than just bitter." He shrugged. "Then again, you have to know how much sugar to put in your coffee to make the flavor just right. If you have too much, then you lose the flavor of the coffee that people like so much and taste only the sugar water." She studied his brown eyes while saying, "I'd rather taste just the sugar and skip the bitterness, no matter how sweet and intoxicating it is." The man behind the counter tilted his head. "Then I think I know somebody who can help you." He pulled out a business card. "He helped me, I promise he can help you." As she took the business card, she glanced up from it. "I should pay for the candies..." He shook his head. "Oh, no, you don't have to give me anything. I recommend you go to the address on the card. You don't have to, but he helped me out a lot." She nodded, thanked him, and walked out the door.

Edit: Perhaps I should explain something...
the story this will eventually fit into is about a demon. The demon is the 'he' who is referenced. He makes deals with people who are desperate for help, etc in exchange for something, and the payment eventually builds up to the person's soul.