Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crooked as the Crow Flies [RINA!]

Started by Thief, June 25, 2011, 06:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thief

Jack could not help but chuckle a little at that. "I guess a clean conscience means an empty wallet."

"Actually, I do have a few." Jack was not sure about sharing some stories, but there were a few to tell. "I'm not sure if they would interest you though. You sure you want to hear any?"

Anonymous

"Why wouldn't they? They can't be boring!" Wren grinned, expression eager, "Come on. Tell. Wouldn't have asked if I didn't wanna know!"

Thief

Jack had given up on marking trees. He had not seen any of his marks in quite some time anyway. If she was leading him off track, she was hiding it very well. Of course, the more they talked, the less he was getting the impression she might be up to no good. If he reached the border, he would have to remember to apologize for doubting her.

"Well, I was once hired to protect someone, only to find out he was never in any danger." Jack loved this one. He had shared it at taverns for the past two hundred years, making little changes where they were needed of course. "I was hired to protect a swordsman from a rival who was attempting to kill him. He defeated his rival in a duel, but spared him to give him the chance to leave town. The rival left, shamed at his loss, and vowed to return to kill the guy. The swordsman was worried that, rather than duel him again, his rival would try something dishonorable, like an assassination. He was so paranoid that he tried to train himself to sleep with one eye open. After about three weeks of shadowing him, I came to find out that this rival of his had been killed in another duel before he ever hired me." Jack laughed to himself. "I was almost tempted to offer the man a refund, but I thought better of it."

Anonymous

That had Wren laughing, slapping her thigh as she walked, "I like that! What a dolt! Shows that just cause ya gots money, ain't mean ya gots smarts!" Wren was starting to feel a little guilty for taking him such a long way.

She shifted their direction, picking through the underbrush. Take him a slightly less long route this way.

Thief

"Then there was the time someone tried to set me up," Jack said, starting another tale he enjoyed. "I was hired to find some relic for someone, and return it to them. I found it of course, but when I returned, he refused to pay the other half of my fee. I don't do discounts, so I took it with me when I left." It really was a mistake at the time, and, even though he cared nothing for the relic, Jack needed the money.

"So, a few days later, I get told about a big job where some guy is looking for a highly skilled mercenary. He had turned a lot of people down for the job. I thought I'd give it a try, so I took up the offer and went to where we were to be tested." This story was a bit off for this world, so he would leave out a few details.

"When I got there, a man was sitting in a room where he could see everyone who entered, and a guard was being handed messages from him. Everyone who walked up waited to hear what the message said, and each time it was denying them the job. Without any show of their skill, they were already being told they weren't good enough." Jack did not mention that the line was so long he needed to wait the better part of fifteen for his turn, but that many denials did not look good.

"When I got to the front of the line, the guard was handed a message, and motioned for me to enter the room he was blocking. Inside, I saw the man judging the candidates. He was looking through a glass window. From outside, the window looked like a mirror, meaning he could see out, but no one could see inside. I thought he looked familiar, but I was hurried forward to the other side of the room with three other mercenaries, so I just dismissed him as another guard."

"Inside, there were guards everywhere. I remember thinking that the job must have been of great importance, or maybe the client was someone important. I don't recall which one seemed more likely at the time. I do remember the wait though, about two hours of standing against a wall. I tried to occupy my time by studying my competition, hoping I could learn something to help me get the job over them. Of course, most of them were doing the exact same thing, so everyone had their guard up. I recognized quite a few of them, and every one of them was famous for one thing or another. After the two hours started turning into three, the guard outside came in, and closed the door behind him. A few minutes later, a door opened across from us, and every eye turned to watch a short, stumpy man limp into the room. I recognized him immediately as the man who tried to cheat me on my last job." This was when Jack decided to start for the door, but he would get to that in a minute.

"I tried not to look directly at him as he talked with one of the guards, but soon he was right in front of us, and looking right at me. I couldn't help but smirk at him as I took a step out of the line-up. Without a word, I was just going to walk to the door and leave." At this point, Jack should have suspected something, but he was more worried about being asked to work for half price again. "I hadn't taken more than a few steps towards the door than he began his proposal of paying the first person who could find a relic for him. I was half way to the door by the time he described it and was offering the amount he would pay. Quite a few of them were very pleased with the amount, considering it was only a quick errand in their minds. However, I was informed about the relic being deadly if you made direct physical contact with it, so of course I charged nearly five times what he was offering now. About the time I reached the door, he was saying how a low class mercenary had already retrieved it, but refused to give it up, making an easy errand even easier for them. He pointed at me and announced loudly that all they had to do was take it from me." Jack paused for a moment, as this part of the story required a certain bit of suspense. He would wait until Wren could not take it anymore before he told her what happened.

Anonymous

Wren stared at Jack, all wide eyed interest, "An! What happened! Ya can't expect me ta believe that ya managed ta fight off an' beat all those mercs."

Thief

"Well," Jack continued, "I just stood there and watched as all of them started walking towards me. I folded my arms and waited." This was the part that actually surprised Jack every time he thought about it. To this day, he did not understand why he was able to stay calm.

But, he liked to make the story more interesting, and gave the impression that he knew all along he would be fine. "I watched as the whole group walked right past me, and went straight out the door." Jack could never get over that feeling of relief when the door was closed behind them. He had nearly used his ability to get far away, and it took everything he had to keep his arms folded. But, once again, the story was so much better if he did not seemed worried. So,after a short pause to allow Wren to enjoy the comedy of the situation, he continued. "Turns out, not one of them thought having to fight me was worth the amount he was offering. I count myself lucky that he was so cheap."

"After they'd gone, I just told him that I would gladly give him the relic when he paid my fee. It was no larger than any other stone, and I had it wrapped up in my pocket. Of course he refused, so he does not have his relic to this day." With the story finished, he thought of something else that might be interesting. "In fact," Jack said, with a quick venture into one of his many pockets, "I have it right here." He removed his hand from the pocket, producing what looked like a smooth river rock wrapped in an old brown cloth. "I was told it has a terrible curse on it, that kills whoever touches it. If it's picked up with anything other than this cloth, then it turns whatever picked it up, and the person holding it, to stone." He carefully unwrapped it and held it out for her to see.

I was no bigger than the palm of his hand. Except for the unnatural violet color of it, it looked not unlike any other stone one might find on the bank a river. "But, it turns out that the whole curse was just a myth to ward off thieves. It's perfectly safe to touch it if you'd like."

Jack loved seeing peoples reactions to it, especially after they heard the story of how he came to own it. He could tell if they were brave, trusting, or even outright naive if they were willing to touch it. Of course, he could also tell if they were cowardly or paranoid if they were not willing to touch it. Though, after that story, it might also mean they were smart enough to be suspicious of it. After all, they had no idea that he was actually telling the truth. All the stone did was glow blue, showing violet writing on it. Jack had never learned what the writing meant, but it was an impressive sight all the same.

Anonymous

Wren had some comments to make about what she thought of that story, as Jack really didn't look that intimidating, when he pulled the stone out and she gaped at it. She had never seen anything like it before, "Wooow. It's real pretty like."

She reached out, picking it up and examining it. Sure, it might turn people to stone, but she doubted he would be that...casual with it if there was a chance the binding could open and he brush against it, bam, stone. Plus, he was in trouble if she turned to stone and he was lost in the woods, "So what's it do then?"

Thief

Jack was a little surprised at how quickly she picked up the stone. Either she was very trusting, or very brave. After a few seconds in the warmth of her hand, the stone began to glow. The symbols were starting to stand out against the surface of the stone. "Well, all I've ever seen it do is that." Jack said, indicating the glow, now growing brighter. "I'm not even sure it does anything else at all. But, I still find it interesting anyway. Not often you find a stone that you can use as a torch."

Anonymous

"That's real cool!" Wren turned it over, excited at the glow, "It's so beautiful! I bet its got some real cool story about what it really does, ya know? Like, it like...unlocks somethin' or the runes tell a story or somethin' like that!"

Thief

Jack smiled and said, "No one's been able to read it in..." Jack paused for a moment before saying, "the many years I've had it." Though, in truth, Jack had not tried very hard to have it translated.

"I just keep it as a memento, and to use as a light sometimes." Jack continued to watch as Wren examined it, the light from it making her face appear purple.

Anonymous

"Really? Man, I would wanna know what it says, ya know? But that is pretty fancy." Wren could hardly read Common, let alone the script on the stone. She reluctantly handed it back, "It's real pretty. That was a good story too!"

It was starting to get dark now and Wren felt rather guilty making him go the long way. She adjusted their course again, though it would only cut down time a bit. Hopefully he wouldn't miss anything important.

Thief

"I'm glad you liked it." Jack said, re-wrapping and pocketing the now dim stone. "I don't have many happy stories, but I like telling the ones I do have." Unable to think of another, Jack did not offer to tell another story. He would try if she asked, but there was no reason he should ruin her smile with a depressing story.

Jack was concerned a bit about his travel. The sun had vanished behind the horizon, the last of its rays painting the sky a wonderful range of orange and violet. Jack liked the sunset, but he did not have time to enjoy it. He followed Wren, hoping to reach the border soon. Perhaps he could make up any lost time by traveling through the night.

Anonymous

"I gotta lot o' happy stories, they just ain't very good stories. Well, one time, we robbed a carriage right? See, and there was this noble couple inside and they had been all, ya know, fuckin' and stuff. So right, John, he opens the door and the woman is screamin' her head off, not wearin' more than a chemise and that was half off and the guy, well, he was totally naked."

Wren gave a barking laugh. She didn't have much of a storytellers talent and tended to speak fast and mashed together.

Thief

Jack could not help but laugh. It was just a brief chuckle, but it was still a pleasant feeling. "That is pretty good. I've actually had something like that happen before. I was collecting a bounty, and the guy was with a woman when I caught up to him. I didn't think he deserved any fun when he was supposed to be in jail, and she didn't think he deserved a refund even though they were interrupted."

Anonymous

Wren stared for a moment, then it finally clicked, "OH! Cause she was a whore! Ha! I hope he didn't get none of his money back! Yer alright, fer a merc ya know!"

Thief

Jack smiled, something he rarely did anymore. "You're not bad yourself." Jack almost added, 'for a bandit,' but decided against it. It really did not matter anyway, she was still a fun person. "I might be a little late, but it's was worth it to meet you."

Anonymous

"Aw, that so huh? Ya tryin' ta flirt with me now?" Wren gave another short, barking laugh. She then pointed ahead, "See that light there? Means were almost to the edge of the woods."

Thief

Jack chuckled briefly, unable to stop himself. "Perhaps..." He would not mind getting to know her better, but he was worried about making up for lost time.

He looked ahead when she pointed. "The edge of the woods? We're already that close?" He was not expecting to have made up for so much time. He was still behind, but it was barely past sunset and they were almost there. Maybe he would get to there on time after all.

Anonymous

"Yeah. Though, still a ways before ya get anywhere important." Wren gave a shrug, trying to pretend she wasn't actually blushing a little. She wasn't actually flirted with much, so even though she had been teasing, it still took her a bit by surprise.