Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Filthy, Stinking Drunk. [Juno]

Started by Haze, December 05, 2011, 09:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

"Hey," Dorian said as Dacia woke. She beckoned him over, and had it been any other day he would have got straight back into bed. Then she realised what was missing, and his heart dropped. She began searching frantically, looking even comical in her haste.

He hadn't moved from the door, and as she sprinted towards him, he caught her by the arms. "Dacia, stop." He said, concern showing in his features. "Please don't be mad with me. I ... I didn't want you to get upset having to say good bye. I took them this morning, to a man who will look after them."

Juno

What he told her made her heart skip a beat. It felt like everything just...froze. Gone? Already? He'd taken them away? Dacia just started up at him, her eyes so filled with sadness. "Oh, Dorian," she said, choking on his name.

"You...y-you didn't want me to get upset? But...I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye!!" She tore an arm away from his grip but stopped short of separating them entirely. She knew he'd only tried to ease her heartache over them, but still... "Dorian..." She was so disappointed. Not so much in him, but that he'd seemed to underestimate her attachments. "They're safe....right? They're safe with someone?" she finally asked, eyes gazing into his, pleading for reassurance.

Haze

Dorian's lips turned down, displeased with himself. Of course she should have had her chance to say good bye. He did. Maybe it was selfish of him. But as she asked him if they were safe, he didn't know that he could answer her honestly.

"Dacia, " he began slowly, searching for the right words, "I left them with a man named Rasputin. I asked around, and his name came up. I was told he was reputable." He paused, swallowing hard, trying to ignore the gnawing doubt in his stomach. "They're just on the outskirts of town. He's a traveller. Has lots of other animals. Horses and ... and...."

His eyes narrowed, and the pit in his stomach grew darker. "And that was all I saw." Suddenly, it dawned on him that the reason he was so uncomfortable, was because something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong.

"I've made a mistake." He pushed Dacia away from him, and with lightning speed hastily collected their gear, shoving items into their bags uncaring whose was whose. He sprinted back to the door, grabbing her wrist as he flung to door open.

"Dacia - let's go!"

Juno

It was all he saw? What did that mean? It sprung him into action, though. Dacia watched as he got there things together in a flash. She could see that something was off just by looking at his face, but she had no idea what just yet. "Uh..." And then he grabbed her and they were off.

Something had to be wrong. Maybe he gave them to the wrong person? She didn't know, but she hoped dearly above everything else that the cubs were alright. "Dorian? A mistake? Why, what happened?" she asked, clueless about it all as they rushed out.

Haze

"I don't know ... I don't know!" Dorian yelled back. They threaded through the crowds, with Dorian turning every now and then to coax Dacia to hurry up. He ignored the aching in his ribs, still tender with healing.

It didn't take long for them to reach the spot Dorian had been earlier. There was nothing there. With chest heaving as he gasped for breath he stared at the empty clearing. He spun on his heel, eyes wide with disbelief. He spun again, eyes searching frantically. "No... no no no no no..." His hands flew to his head, raking through his hair.

"I don't know... there was something... that man. I felt... uneasy. And the cubs. They looked at me as if they knew something was wrong." He groaned, shaking his head and remembering their big brown eyes. And their cries.

For once in his life, he was at a loss. He didn't know what to do. "Dacia...."

Juno

She followed as fast as she could, seeing just how panicked he was, but even as he urged her on they could only go so fast in the foot traffic at the market now. Then, they stopped. In a clearing void of any stalls or carts or horses of any kind. Is this right? There wasn't a man here and the cubs were nowhere to be seen. Something was clearly wrong, though, with how upset Dorian visibly was.

Dacia watched him helplessly, just standing there desperately waiting for him to say something, anything. And when he did she could just imagine their sweet eyes like he described. She looked so sad now, frowning as her emotions began to build up.

He just gave them away like that?! I didn't get to say goodbye...the poor babies, where are they now?! Neither of them knew at all. They had nothing to go off of and she knew nobody that might know. But he just might remember...

"Dorian," she said as calmly as she could, trying to remain steady and strong for the both of them. "Do you remember who you talked to before? Who told you about this guy? Maybe they'll know where he went, he couldn't have gone very far...right?"

Haze

Who was it? Dorian racked his brains, casting them back to the conversations. "It was only a passerby. Lemme think..." He crouched down, fingers unknowingly placed over wagon tracks.

Rasputin, traveller, animals, entertainer, reputation, His thoughts sped faster and faster, as his frown deepend. beartrainer travelling shows ringmaster eyepatch... wagon's facing north. Scars from a bear...

"I think... I think he's gone north." He nodded once, becoming more sure of himself as he said it. It connected, the way the wagons were laid out. He could see it now. Rasputin was taking the bears north, into Serendipidy.

"Dacia. I can fix this." He sounded angry. "Let me fix this now. I want you to stay here, in case he's ... coming back. Let me go and get our girls."

Juno

She grew more worried when he couldn't recall who he'd talked to before. She looked around, as if that would even help them, desperately looking for a sign as she gave Dorian his time to think.

What are we going to do? What if something bad happens...to them? She shuddered, not even want to think about that. Dorian exclaimed something then, though, and she turned her attention back to him. "North?" She didn't know how he'd figured that one out, or perhaps he'd simply gone on a hunch, but it was better than anything she could offer at the moment.

"All right, we'll just be on our way-" Dorian was suddenly so angry and she paused so that he could say what he needed to say. "Ah..stay here. Right. Because he'd totally come back on his own. Yep. Sure, sounds good. I'll be here...waiting. Alone. By myself." Of course she was mocking him. Did he even remember what happened the first time he'd wanted her to stay put and not get involved? She reckoned things wouldn't have been nearly so damn hectic as they had had their lives gone on without that critical decision, but she couldn't just stand there and wait for him to come back with the bears. Or not come back at all. Yeah right...I'll be coming with you.

Haze

Dorian glared at her, eyes narrowed and lips drawn into a sharp line. "Don't mock me," he said dangerously, nostrils flaring as his mind too, cast back to that last time. "You know I only want you to be safe!

"If you had stayed put, like I told you to, in the first place, we wouldn't even be having this problem! We wouldn't have two little mouths to feed, and I certainly wouldn't be standing here arguing with you!"

"Fine. Come then. " He started stalking off, not waiting to see if she'd follow.

Juno

She couldn't believe he was lashing out at her about this. Glaring right back at him, she huffed. "Oh so it's all my fault?! You made bad choices, too! Don't act like an-" Wait, he's going to let me go with him?

"Fine, I will!" she called after him, rushing to catch up. Dacia was moody now, angry that he'd riled her up over this. She knew he was scared for the bears and her as well, but that didn't mean he could just say whatever he wanted without consequence.

It dawned on her, though, that showing her frustration wouldn't help them now. Sighing, willing to give it up for now, she cautiously tapped him on the shoulder. "Sorry," she offered quietly as they neared the road that she hoped so dearly would lead them to their bears.

Haze

Stupid woman. Goddammit. Why can't she just do as she's told? It'd all just be so much easier.

Because she's right. You're just as much to blame as she is.

And don't you even try to deny it.

Dorian glanced down at her, considering her apology. He huffed. "I'm sorry too."

He left it at that. They'd both said things to hurt each other, but the fact of the matter was, it was going take more than that to irreparibly damage the bond that had formed between them. As a gesture, he held his hand out to her as they turned onto the road.

"They shouldn't be to far ahead of us. Chances are, he'll have to stop soon anway." He recalled a piece of detail he hadn't previously remembered. "Those horses didn't look like they'd make it very far."

Juno

Dacia was really quite relieved now that they'd settled down a bit, but she was surprised when he offered his hand to her. She just stared at him for a few long moments, but she finally slid her own hand against his and gently gripped as they went further away from the city.

She was eager to see something, anything promising as they continued on. Over time she gradually eased herself down from thinking they would find them soon or just around another bend or past a hill. When she finally saw a strange mass in the distance, though, she nudged Dorian and pointed ahead. "Hey, is that...? I think it's stopped....we need to check it out."

Haze

Dorian gave her fingers a squeeze, and as they continued along the road he found himself falling more and more into a comfortable rhythm of just being with her.

"You're right. We need to check." He stopped, and slung his pack and bow off his shoulder, and dug around for a moment. Finding what he was looking for, he withdrew two daggers. Taking Dacia's hand, he pressed them both in. "Here - just in case. We'll walk up to the side, if we can. Try and stay out of anyone's line of sight."

He took her free hand, tugging her along gently. "Act casual. And please, gor all the gods sakes... listen to me if I tell you to run." He looked down at her, a wry smile on his face. "Please?"

Juno

When Dorian handed her two daggers she couldn't help but grin just the slightly. She fingered the hilts, turning them over carefully. It'd been so long since she'd used her own, though they'd never been for anything nearly this valiant. She nodded, accepting the weapons for now and continued on with him to approach their target.

"I'll think about it," she said, grinning childishly. "Depends on if you'll be able to make it out."

As they neared, she couldn't help but notice how quiet and calm it was. She couldn't hear the cubs crying or anything, only the soft snorts of the horses. "Is this...it?"

Haze

It was definitely the right wagons. He nodded to her, and lifted his fingers to his lips. Creeping forward, he glanced around. He couldn't hear anything, but by what he knew about their cubs, he should have been hearing their playful growls. But aside from the snorting of the horses there was no other sound.

Dorian concentrated for a moment, his frown deep set. He couldn't see Rasputin, but he had to get closer. Casting a look over his shoulder at Dacia, he pursed his lips again. "Shh..."

He crept up to the wagon train, and very quietly opened the door of the first one. Nothing. Wait - no... in the corner, was a tiny mountain lion cub, skin and bones aside from it's bloated stomach. Flies buzzed around the still little body, and his stomach heaved, taking in the smell for the first time. Dorian backed out of the wagon with a pale face. "Don't... don't go in there." Hoping that Dacia would listen, he continued to the next wagon. It was the same story, but this time, the animal was a once glorious eagle, now malted, scrawny, and on it's last legs.

He stepped into the third wagon, and his eyes widened in dismay. There they were, their two babies, caged. They were huddled together, silent, but their eyes imploring, as if they immediately recognised the man. Dorian rushed forward, lookig frantically for a way into the cages. He didn't hear the footsteps behind him. Didn't even notice anyone behind him, until he felt the prick of metal at his back.

"I wouldn't do that, if I were you," Rasputin hissed. Yes. They had found the right wagon all right.

Juno

As they got closer to the wagons, Dacia tucked one of the daggers into the waistband of her pants just in case she'd need backup. She stayed back by at least a wagon as she kept an eye out to watch Dorian's back as he explored. She grew tense as he disappeared into the third wagon for a longer period of time. Had he found the cubs?

She didn't have much time to worry about that, though, as she saw a flash of color and the door opening and closing again. Only, Dorian wasn't coming out. She waited a moment, creeping closer, but then she heard an unfamiliar voice and rushed into the wagon blindly, yet as quiet as she could.

Holding the blade of the daggar out at the man, she gasped softly as she saw that he had Dorian trapped. Deftly, she maneuvered her way closer until she was within range, then pounced. Dashing forward, she grabbed the stranger roughly by the side of his neck and tucked the blade of her weapon neatly against the other, tip threatening to pierce. "Don't you dare make one more move," she said, voice cold.

Haze

Dorian closed his eyes, aghast, at the sound of her voice. No, Dacia, no. Run. Get away! Why couldn't that woman just stay?! Rasputin still had his weapon to his back, but as his eyes finally opened he saw that Dacia too, had a weapon to Rasputin's throat.

The man's expression changed from surprised to amused. He didn't move, but dug his blade in ever so slightly. Dorian grimaced. "Well well well...it does seem to me like we have a bit of a conundrum." Rasputin sneered against Dacia's blade. "On the one hand, you have a knife to my throat, and on the other, a knife to his back. What to do, what to do.... hmmmm?"

He wasn't a stupid man. He wasn't going to drop his blade just so that the little thing behind him could slit his throat, oh no. He'd hold off for as long as he could, slyly inching his own weapon deeper into Dorian's back.

Juno

She didn't find this creep's teasings amusing. Frowning at his mocking words, she practically snarled at him. "I said stop it!" she yelled, digging her fingers into him, trying to choke him, trying to get him to move away from Dorian. "You don't know who you're dealing with," she threatened. "Let him go. Let the bears go. Or you'll wish that you had. You'll wish you'd never come here."

She roughly yanked at the guy, tried to put as much pressure as she could muster on his fragile throat, but she knew he was strong, knew that he knew how to use his weapon and that she was taking a huge risk being this close and getting this involved. "I swear," she growled. "Torture to your last breath if they don't get out of here safely..."

Haze

The man's eyes crinkled with a wicked humor as she tightened her grip on him. Yes, her grip was tight, but he was the kind of man who took pleasure in that kind of thing. He slowly relinquished his stance, the knife at Dorian's back dropping. Two things happened then, very quickly. He kneed Dorian hard in the kidney, and his hand came up, wrapping around her fingers, prised them off, and he spun around to face her. Her knife stayed at his throat, and he dared her with his gaze to try it.

Dorian sprawled forward, hitting his head against the wall.

Rasputin glared into Dacia's face, his one good eye glinting sadistically. "So, my pretty wee thing... what are you going to do now?" His dagger was now pointing against her stomach.

Juno

Everything happened so fast. She gasped as she heard a solid thunk and saw Dorian going down. But she didn't have time to watch as she felt Rasputin tearing her hand away from his neck. A split second later and now she was the trapped one.

Oh...Fuck...

Her eyes narrowed. She didn't need to look down to know he had his own weapon ready to slay her with. Adrenaline rushing as she glanced over his shoulder at the caged cubs and Dorian, who she was sure had been hurt. She had to save them. She had to do something.

Suddenly, it was clear to her that a sacrifice had to be made. This man was crazy and obviously had quite a few things to hide and he wasn't going down so easily. Gulping, giving a last look to the strange family she'd formed before she struck, her eyes became focused and full of a fiery rage. Gritting her teeth, Dacia swiftly plucked the other dagger from her waistband and didn't hesitate another moment. She dug her first dagger into his neck, trying to make a clean slash the width of his neck, and the other she stuck into his side. Jabbing the blades in, she roughly twisted the one in the man's side and drug it down the length of his torso best she could, knowing this would be her only chance to do anything if he was determined to attack as well.