Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Bohemian Tango

Started by Winters-Feather, March 08, 2012, 10:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

OOC: Just wanted to say... my roomie is blasting music, and your avatar is dancing to the beat.
IC:

"Enchanted, Cora," Jazbel replied as she gave him an alias of her own.
He didn't doubt for a minute that the name she had given  him was fake, but no matter. The man didn't really care what sort of name she gave him to go by; if it had to be 'girl' or 'lass' all night, then so be it. He watched quietly as she walked over towards the window, idly watching the sea of people below. Jazbel rubbed his chin hair, thinking.
I left my kit in my inn room, he thought.
The man supposed they could go back to it, but it was quite a way from here; it would stall their mission by an hour or so.

He let out a sigh of frustration when Ehren addressed him again.
"Hm?" he replied, startled by the sudden  break of his thoughts.
The initial confusion on his face turned into a sly expression when his mind comprehended her question.  
"I'm not a mage," he said, "But I have my ways of changing my appearance. Though..."
The man gave a sheepish cough.
"I left my kit in my inn room," he admitted, embarrassed for not being prepared for this.
"The one on Nimora Road."

Haze

OOC: I love my dancing man. He brings me so much joy. XD
IC:

Ehren let her head thunk forward with a heavy sigh. "Nimora..." Turning on her heel, the expression that looked to Jazbel was one of complete and utter frustration. "We have to go all the way to..." She sighed again and shook her head, not even bothering to finish her sentence. Where they had to go, she told herself, didn't matter. What did matter was that she was playing a very dangerous game, with a stranger, and someone who could very well turn her in - at best.

"Fine," she hissed out through a breath, folding her arms across her chest. "You go and collect your things. Meet me back here. I'll wait at the bar."

Winters-Feather

OOC: I think in this society Jazbel would have been a make up artist. And ze dancing man  is awesome. Where is he from?

IC:

Jazbel grinned apologetically and nodded.
"It'll take less than an hour, my dear," he said as he slipped out of the room and out of the bar. He didn't have any worries of the woman leaving him and deciding to go on her quest by herself. If she did, then that just meant he would have to search for another pick pocket. It would be a pitiful loss, but he would find one way or another to achieve his goals; one more set back didn't phase him in the slightest.

Wishing to make haste, Jazbel ordered a carriage to take him to a shop a street away from his inn. He paid the driver a copper before quickly walking towards the establishment. Once the man was safe behind the doors of his room, he began to undress and got to work.
Twenty minutes later, Jazbel admired himself in the mirror provided for him. He was dressed in a ragged dark tunic, breeches, and quiet boots. Around his waist was a belt with  a small coin purse. He kept a knife hidden by his sleeves. The man had put on make up to take the last ten years off of his face.  

Jazbel now appeared to be in his late twenties. He wore cheap metal earrings in his ears, and his shaggy dark purple hair looked as if it hadn't been washed for a while. His eyes looked more sullen and the man had artfully applied make up to make his keen gold eyes appear darker and his cheeks rounder.
He had also used a magical lotion to make his skin tanner with a tint of yellow.
Being friends with the finest potion masters of Arca sure helps in a pinch, he gleefully thought.

In addition, had made it appear as if he had bruised his nose and his teeth were yellow. To finish the effect, he went to the fire place and rubbed some soot on his face and rubbed some onto his fingertips. He would have added disease markings, but that would have taken too much extra time. Pleased with the effect, he pulled on his dark, poor material cloak and pulled the hood over his head before walking out of the door.

True to his word, the man had only been gone for forty minutes. He re entered the Golden Brew and made his way towards the lass who called herself Cora.
"Miss me long?" he asked.

Haze

OOC: I have no idea. It was just an avatar I found, and fell in love with. lol
IC:

Less than an hour? Ehren rose her eyebrow to that notion, but simply waved him away without another word. In the time it took for him to go and reappear, she did consider more than once just getting up and leaving. She knew the area well enough to stay hidden if he decided to come after her, and even the group of criminals she belonged to would act as a form of protection. She thought.

They were a notorious bunch, and hardly any of them trusted another. They were bandits, and thieves and murderers the lot of them - the only reason most of them stayed in the gang was for the fact that if someone was ever in need, the gang would come to their aid in full force - or the members to whom a rescue mission had any form of benefit.

Sitting alone for the majority of the time, Ehren ignored any advances from the leering men who passed her at the bar. She wasn't a classic beauty like Tabita, and she had too much of a harshness in the angles in her face to be considered pretty, but it appeared she had enough of a look to intrigue. For the men that did approach her, she just glowered, until she'd had enough of the looks, and pulled the hood up over her head again.  

When an almost familiar voice broke through at her side, she'd almost had enough of company at all, and she was ready to pull her knife and stab the next guy in the guts, when she actually looked at Jazbel. Actually, she didn't even recognise him, and the hand went to the dagger as she hissed.

"You know what happened to the last man who asked me if I missed him?"

Winters-Feather

Jazbel smirked at the girl's threat, considering the disguise a success.
You are brilliant.
His eyes scanned the room. Several men were giving the both of them queer glances. Jazbel coldly supposed they were interested in the girl but were discouraged to see someone being so familiar with her. Or they could be members of gangs; he had already taken the liberty of coming up with this cleverness. There was no need for them to delay any longer.

He leaned in close, taking great pains to not touch her, as she didn't seem too keen on that.
"Relax, love," he said smoothly, glaring at the men.
"It's just me, Eli. Let's get a move on, yeah?"
The man made a gesture towards the door.

Haze

Ehren's eyes only narrowed further as the man seemed to want to risk his life for the chance to whisper in her ear, and even went so far as to call her love. Her fingers twitched round the knife, and didn't relax even as he assured her that he was none other than her acquaintance of earlier in the day. She spent a moment painting an image of his new face in her mind, and then let the set of her shoulders drop just marginally.

But was he - he was! He was glaring at the men surrounding her, as if to warn them off. Ehren could have giggled for the display of what she interpreted as male bravado, and stood from her stool. Right about then would have been a good time to announce that while he'd been away, she'd delighted in a few more mugs of ale. Her excuse? If she was going to see Tabita tonight, she needed to be happy.

Ehren wobbled slightly, and leaned into "Eli's" arm and gave her own little nod towards the door. "You look incredible," she whispered back, "how the hell did you pull that one off? I thought you said you weren't a mage?"

Winters-Feather

Jazbel gave a loose and easy grin as he saw the light of recognition shine on Cora's face. Yes, she knew who he was now. Oh, how he was loving her awe.  In turn, she had apparently been loving her ale... The man sighed as he pulled out the coins from his purse and slapped them onto the bar table.
"You're going to run me dry one day, I swear," he lamented as firmly grabbed her around the shoulders as they walked towards the door.
The man's smile turned into a a smirk at her compliment.
"Don't I always?," he teased, "And I'm not, honest. I just got a few good tricks, is all. Damned good ones."

After he shut the door behind them, the man surveyed their surroundings. The mischief still glittered in his eyes, but there was something else, too. He was serious to get to this business that would lead him to his prize, his information. After all, he had a business to run and a reputation to hold.
"All right," he said, "Where to, my dear?"

Haze

Oh, so he was even going to pay for her drinks? Well, that suited her just fine. The less coin she had to spend the better. She certainly hadn't been expecting his generosity. As he took her by the shoulders, she tensed up. He was very, very familiar with her, and regardless of the fact that he was about to help her rescue her sister, or so she hoped, she wasn't entirely comfortable with the grip on her.

As soon as they were outside, she wriggled away from him, and fell into a slightly weavy step beside him. She didn't miss the look in his eye, and couldn't help the feeling that he had a serious ulterior motive. She would have to be careful. But not before she set him straight on something.

"Would you stop with the pet names," Ehren scowled, "My name is Cora - not love, not dear, not sweety or baby or anything else you come up with, got it?" She looked around her to get her bearings. Best way to get him to the headquarters would be through the back alleys - if she was lucky he wouldn't remember where he was going. With a nod towards the left, she headed over and into the shadows, ensuring that he was following her. "Is there anything in particular you're good at, besides changing your appearance? It'd make things easier if I knew what skills you have, and who I should introduce you to first."

Winters-Feather

Jazbel chuckled as the young woman squirmed out of his arms once they exited the bar.
"Careful," he muttered, "Best keep up with appearances..."
Regardless, he solemnly nodded at her request. The man was rather fond on using his pet names, but he supposed plain old boring Cora would just have to do for the remainder of the night. He got it; she didn't want to become too familiar. It was rather business like and smart of her. Jazbel held up his hands, defensively.
"All right, all right. I won't," he promised.

Jazbel shrugged at her questioning. He doubted she meant 'introduce' as in pleasantries. Despite her common sense, he was a bit reluctant to let her know too much about himself, though if she had half a brain she'd have figured most of it out all ready.
Might as well, he thought as he rolled his eyes. Would get it out of the way.
"I'm sure you've noticed my good eyes," he started, "I grew up on the streets, myself. I know how to hold my own in a fight and sneak around, unseen. Among other talents."
The man said the last bit with a teasing grin.
"Really, Cora, I won't be accompanying you if I thought I wasn't capable of doing so."

Haze

Appearances? Keep up with appearances? Pah! You're just as slimy as the rest of them, and you expect me to play along. He wasn't helping the frown that was ever growing on her brow. She very nearly scoffed at the way in which he alluded to his strengths, and only just bit back a groan when she realised that with what he was saying, the only person she really had to introduce him to, was herself. There was only one other spy in the gang more senior, and that was the gang leader himself, and since he kept himself particularly busy, she doubted that he'd even be around.

"Well, in that case, Eli, nice to meet you. You'll be working alongside me for the first few days, until I can gather that you can be trusted." I know you can't already, but you've sworn to help me, and so help me, I will be keeping tabs on you. The tone in her head was dry, even as she looked across with defiance. "The gang leader's name is Vaaron. You might come across him, you might not. Best thing to do when we get there though, is to keep your head down, and your mouth shut. The guys are wary of newcomers, and rightly so. Do as I say, and I swear, if you cross me even once, I will slit your throat."

Winters-Feather

Jazbel did not ignore the scoff on the girl's face when he described his attributes.
"What's that look for?" he protested, his pride a little wounded.
 "You did ask me what I was good at, so I told you."
The man gave a haughty nod when she continued. He lightly smiled when she had said she would be judging his trustworthiness. What  a cheeky little minx. How could she say something like that when her own character was certaintly questionable, as well?

Actually, he was a bit surprised at her demands. A couple of days working as a gang member? Well, he supposed he could manage that. After all, he had wanted to blend in, and blend in he shall. The man mused he should inform his employer of his antics.
Then again, he thought, that might only set the men Cora wanted him to become 'aquanted' with be even more suspicious of him as a new comer.
He was also going to need a new hotel room to tip them off while somehow transporting the goods from his old one to the new one. What a pain.

Jazbel paid close attention to the information the young lady was giving him. Vaaron. So that was the gang leader's name. It was a start, for sure. He chuckled at her threat, doubting such a feat would ever come to pass.
"Of course," he replied, rubbing his hands together.

Haze

"Yes, I suppose you did," Ehren replied, rolling her eyes. He seemed so sure of himself, so blase about their mission, so ... cocky. She, on the other hand, or the way she saw it in any case, didn't like to boast her prowess as a spy. And to boot, with violence she was more bark than actual bite. She liked to think that she was loyal - to herself and Tabita first, and then to anyone who could prove themselves trustworthy. None of the other gang members had done such, and to be honest, she had no qualms about betraying them.

She didn't try to make conversation as she led Eli through the winding back alleys.  She moved easily with the shadows, as if she was one of them, her feet close to silent on the cobbles. If he wanted information, he would have to gather it himself by observing, just to cover her own hide if things went awry. It wasn't until approached one final little alley way that she knew would be guarded that she spoke again.

"Listen, you're going to have to trust me in here, okay? I've known these men most of my life. If any of them approaches me, you stand back and do nothing, no matter what." She was thinking specifically of Tobias. Tobias was a long standing frenemy. He thought he owned her. She played along, as abhorrent as his advances were, and as violent as he was. Her main concern was her sister. It had been too long since she'd checked in.

Winters-Feather

Jazbel chuckled at Cora's obvious irrated state. He knew he had annoyed her with his arrogance, though he found it amusing how the best part was she didn't even know half  of the story.
Ah, to be young.
He had almost forgotten how rash people where at her age, though he mused that he wasn't that much of an improvement. The man, eager to please and show off, quickly and silently followed Cora through the alleyways. He tried to memorize the routes they took and the turns they made. It was a pity that she didn't bother saying a word to him this whole time. Not having a conversation was boring, and he didn't think they were spying on anyone or anything just yet.

When they reached a small alleyway, Cora turned to face him. It wasn't as dark as some of the others. The sun managed to peak in through, illuminating the place with a a dim, dusky light. Jazbel nodded solemnly at Cora's orders, his jaw locking. He didn't much like the sound of this, his mind already assuming the possibilities. He wasn't the most noble or heroic of men, but he did have his own sense of pride and honor. Still, she had made a grim point, and he had little choice but to accept it. He was this close!
"Fine," he replied.

Haze

Ehren nodded, and finally flipped back the hood of her cloak. She brushed a hand through her hair, combing her choppy fringe back, then set her shoulders and led on forwards to the doors. As she predicted, there were two men standing guard to the building. The one to the left raised a hand in recognition to her, while the one to the right brought out a knife, pointing towards Eli. "Who is this?" He asked gruffly. Ehren gave him a stern look, and replied in a cold tone. "A new trainee. He is with me." The man spent another moment looking between Ehren and Eli, and finally dropped his blade, stepping aside so that they could enter the building.

Inside was dimly lit, and they came straight away to a set of stairs which led down to an entire building, series of corridors and rooms all underground. Ehren took Eli down into the main room, where there were several men milling around, playing cards, drinking, engaged in swordplay. It was one of the men who looked up from a game of cards, whom Ehren had been hoping wouldn't be there. He stood, and made his way over to her, and grabbed her roughly by the waist, pulling her in. She stiffened in his hold, and turned her head away from him, saying nothing.

The man growled. "That's no way to greet me." Ehren refused to look at him and stood her ground. Tobias, for that was who he was, grabbed her chin, and forced her to look at him. She did so only then with eyes that burned with clear hatred. Tobias scoffed at her look, and pressed a cruel, bruising kiss to her mouth. When he finally let go, Ehren rubbed the back of her hand across her lips, and then gently rubbed against her jaw, sore and red from the force of his fingers.

Tobias looked to Eli. "Who's this?" he asked Ehren, eyes never once leaving Eli's face. "A new spy. You can call him Eli." the girl replied, crossing her arms over her chest as if to put distance between her and him. Tobias gave a low chuckle, and raised an eyebrow.

"Do you play cards, Eli?" The other man asked, motioning over to the table he'd just left. "Best way to get into the fold. Care for a game?"

Winters-Feather

Jazbel observed the door of the building silently and took a deep breath. So this was where one of the lairs were. The man's eyes glanced over to Cora. She needed nervous and tense, as if she was an actress about to perform one of her most difficult roles. He blankly stared at the guards, his hands placed in his pockets. He nodded in acknowledgement when Cora introduced him as a 'trainee'.

And so I enter the lions' den.
Jazbel's eyes wandered around the scene. It was incredible; they appeared to be underground inside a building. The place was practically in plain sight. They were just underneath it- Jazbel was amazed this operation had managed to last as long as it did. Then again, it also didn't; lots passed by the government's uninterested eyes. Some were gambling, others drinking their sorrows away. Others seemed to be honing their  fighting skills. Jazbel made a note to avoid these men at all costs as he watched a man howl in pain as his gut got jabbed with a blunt knife. It didn't break skin, but the man was sure that poor kid was going to suffer for a week.

The man stiffened his posture when a gruff looking man approached them. It only took one glance at Cora to understand whom she was talking about before when she had told him to not interfere.
Damn the girl.
Jazbel watched coldly as the brute kissed her and tilted his chin high when Tobias address him. He offered a smirk as Cora introduced him.
"A pleasure," he said.

As Tobias invited him to the card game, Jazbel looked over towards Cora before replying.
"Aye, that I do," he said as he stunted over towards the table and  sat down.

Haze

OOC: Feel free to control Tobias - npc, and all that jazz. XD
IC:

Ehren began to shake her head to the card game, her face hard and unmoving, and yet as Eli moved away, it was all she could do to refrain from rolling her eyes at him. Tobias raised an eyebrow to her, as if to question her choice in recruit, before following Eli over and taking a seat directly opposite.

Ehren sighed, and gripped onto the bridge of her nose in exasperation. Sure, this was one way of getting into the fold, being accepted as part of the group, but did it really have to be with Tobias, of all people? The arms dealer was ruthless and liked nothing more than to inflict pain on others, be it physical, or loosing his opponent of as much coin as possible. Ehren decided it was unwise to leave Tobias alone with Eli right now, and so with another sigh she went and stood at the table, arms crossed against her chest.

"Really, Tobias, give the man a chance to get settled, would you?" He narrowed his eyes up at her, and proceeded to ignore her by shuffling the cards.

"What game do you fancy?"

Winters-Feather

OOC: aka rich man, poor man/ presidents.

IC:

Jazbel noticed that Cora seemed a bit antsy. He could tell she didn't think to highly of his decision, though what really concerned him was why.
She's worried, he realized, though for who? Herself? For him? Either way, if he was caught, they were both dead, unless he could convince the others that he had tricked her. Still, he had to play his hand safe. The man gave her one last quick glance as she sat down next to him, though he quickly turned his attention to the man.
Tobias, he thought, committing the name to memory.
"Well, there's three of us," Jazbel replied, "How about some King and Slave?"
Tobias smirked at the decision. though obliged and started to split the deck among the three.

"How about we make things more interesting and bet on it," he said, "Five coppers."
"Agreed," Jazbel quickly replied.
His eyes never left Tobias as he placed his coins on the table. The thug did the same before mockingly gesturing for Jazbel to begin the game.
"Shouldn't the la-" Jazbel began to say before Tobias interrupted.
"You go first," he instructed in a quiet voice, glaring at the man as he sorted his cards.
Jazbel nodded and quietly laid down a five.

Haze

OOC: I admit, I had to look up how to play that. I've never played it before!
IC:

Tobias lifted an eyebrow to the single card laid on the table, while Ehren looked uncomfortable. Beneath the table, a warning foot was laid over hers - she was not to win. And neither was Eli. Tobias laid down a pair of eights, and Ehren followed by putting down nine. The foot went down a little harder. Tobias did not approve of her playing, this much was clear, and he didn't like the fact that she had bested him.

She stayed obediently silent, not even making a grimace to the pressure crushing her toes. "Have you been around Selevea long, Eli?" Tobias asked in a sneering mockery of light conversation. "I'd not heard of any new trouble makers, and I'm rather well informed."

Winters-Feather

OOC: lol its pretty easy and fun. bTW, you don't follow doubles after singles; you only do one sort for each round. Also, feel free to timeskip and determine whose in the lead and whose losing, etc

IC:

Jazbel  watched the process of the game quietly, concentrating on his hand and on the game. He possessed a four- a wild card-, an ace, a two, and a pair of kings among his hand. It wasn't the best one he had ever had, but it was decent, and he could defiantly work with it.  Though he was primarly playing the game as part of his act to become part of the gang and gain information, the gambling man in him was getting excited by such a challenge.  He shrugged off Tobias' question. "Rather well informed"... of course he would be.
"I've been around," Jazbel vaguely replied, "I'm of the travelin' sort."
Tobias arched an eye brow at this.
"A high way robber?" he inquired.
"Of sorts," Jazbel said as he leaned back into his chair, "Pass."
He probably could have just placed down a king and a four, but he'd save it for later.

He glanced over at Cora, who  had grown awfully silent and almost submissive. The man's eyes turned back towards Tobias, who seemed to be unsatisfied with Jazbel's answer and all the more annoyed at him throwing looks at the girl.
"How quaint," he said in a voice that made it clear he didn't find it charming at all.  He cleared up the table and placed down a single five.
The man reached out to draw an arm around Cora's shoulder.
"Tell me how'd you snag this gentleman, this... Eli," Tobias said with a mocking smirk as he petted her hair a bit roughly, "It couldn't have been your looks."
He gave Jazbel a challenging look, as if daring him to refute his statement.
The man wanted to make a face at his rudeness, but simply gave a rueful grin as he shook his head.

Haze

OOC: My bad! I know for next time now.
IC:

Gods how she hated this. This game of pretend that had become her life. She was tired of it, and yet could see no way out. She swallowed back the growl in the back of her throat as Tobias put his arm around her, and only just avoided jerking out from under the hair-tousling. She put down a single six, even though in her hand she held a trio of them. She knew the consequences of defiance with Tobias.

She kept her face perfectly blank at the not so subtle derogatory comments towards her looks. As if she didn't know herself. She didn't think she was much to look at, but being reminded of it? That stung; she was still a girl after all. "He was pocket watching," she answered, raising an eyebrow to Eli. "I had a theory, pinched a coin, and he followed after. Said he was looking for somewhere to belong, earn a little more than what he was getting on his own." She lied easily, and then went silent again. Tobias gave a grunt, accepting her story and then settled in to play.

A few rounds later, and Ehren still held five cards in her hand, having passed most of the time, while Tobias held two. The card face up on the table held the disapproving face of a queen. Tobias scowled at his cards. A pair of eights. He had not played his hand well. He looked across the table in a cold challenge to Eli to beat him, while one hand slipped under the table, reaching across Ehren's legs and going for the knife at her waist.