Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Bohemian Tango

Started by Winters-Feather, March 08, 2012, 10:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

Jazbel glared right back at Tobias, though inside he was dancing, gleefully. In his hand were the two cards that were guaranteed to make him win; an ace and a two. He gloated in the rogue's stern glare, challenging him to to win.
Sore loser if I ever saw one, the man thought as he slapped down his ace.
"Can you best that?" he said to the man. By now he had figured out the rules when it came to Cora; don't look at her, don't talk to her, and defiantly don't ask her such dangerous questions. Only time he did throughout the game was when he nodded at her half-truth.Still, the spy watched her out of the corner of her eye, watching as she restrained herself. It was amazing, Jazbel mused, how much one could make others detest them so.

Tobias glowered at the ace as his hand lingered at the girl's side.
"Pass," he said between gritted teeth as his knuckles grew white.
Without bothering to wait for Cora to make a move, Jazbel slapped down his two.
"Then I win," he exclaimed holding his hands up in defeat.
Jazbel found himself holding his breath as he watched Tobias react to being beaten. The older man wasn't that intimidated by the younger's glowering expression. Still, Jazbel knew it to be best to be weary of the viper of a man, for Tobias, would perhaps literally strike at him at the first opportunity he could.

However, Tobias suddenly broke out into a wide smile as he put down his hand. Still, there was a cold and hard glint in his eyes that was hard to ignore.
As Jazbel reached out to claim his prize money, Tobias quickly brought out the knife and slammed it a mere inch away from his fingertips.
"Shuffle the cards," he quietly commanded as he slouched back into his chair as he coolly wrapped his arm around the young woman, again.
Jazbel slowly nodded, as he took the cards from Cora and  did as he was told.
As if unfazed by the ordeal of the match, he looked around the room, observing the thugs and bandits.  Gambling was fine and all, but he needed information, even the tiniest slip of it.

"Hey, Tobias," he said as he began to slice up the deck, "When your girl brought me down here, she forgot to run me by the 'rules' your lot live by. I don't want to go stirring unnecessary trouble; you got any tips? Maybe you could even give me a tour. No one better to do it than you,  right?"
Jazbel  said this last piece of flattery as he handed over a third of the deck to Tobias before shoving another towards Cora.  He motioned for Tobias to go first.

Haze

Ehren flinched as the knife came slamming down, seething inside for the breach of her personal space, and the threatening way Tobias conducted himself. She should have been used to it, in all honesty, but it never failed to irk her that hostility should surround her every waking moment.

She only just bit back a hiss at Eli's question, but Tobias merely gave her shoulder a squeeze. "The rules are simple, Eli. Don't get caught, and if you do, we don't exist. Don't bring anyone in unless you know for certain they can be trusted - honour among thieves and all that. Keep to yourself, don't ask questions, and don't touch my girl." Now, the last wasn't entirely true, but Tobias wasn't about to let Eli forget just where his place was as a newcomer.  "As for a tour - there's not much to see. Just - " Ehren silently chorused his next words, "-stay out of the armoury, and don't go down the east wing, unless you have a death wish."

Tobias took up his cards, and grinned at the hand given to him, before peering circumspectly at Ehren's hand. Her's was good - good enough to win. Ehren closed her eyes with a sigh. "Last hand for me, boys. I'm not much for games." Not games where she was used as a pawn, in any case. Tobias laid down his first card, leading with a pair of tens. Ehren followed with a pass, and looked pleadingly across to Eli. Tobias could lose once - but twice? Eli could find his stay with the gang shorter than expected.

Winters-Feather

OOC: Sorry it took me so long. Also, I haven't forgotten about that character who knows how to sign; i'll get to it next week, when finals are over :P

IC:

Jazbel nodded politely as Tobias promptly answered his questions.
Anyone you trust? Rules are kind of lax, he thought as he smiled at the last piece of advice about Cora.
"Of course," he said with an apprehensive grin.
I have to be more careful about asking questions, he solemnly mused, though his mode was lifted as Tobias gave him specific instruction to stay out of the armory or the east wing. Of course, that just meant he had to go there. Jazbel made a note to ask Cora about it, later.
"Yes, sir," he muttered.

His attention was drawn to the girl as she declared she was dropping  out afterwards. The man didn't say anything as he followed with a pair of jacks as his jaw ever so slightly hardened. The man wasn't a prideful one, but that was changed while he was gambling. Still, Jazbel knew this game might cost him his life. The man quietly slapped down a king and a four as he glared at Tobias.
I'll let you win, but I still want a fight, he stubbornly thought as his opponent clicked his tongue in protest.

The match lasted for fifteen minutes. Though Jazbel convinced himself that he wasn't terribly intimidated by Tobias, that the man was half his age and acted half of that, the older man found that his body had tensed up some as he slumped his shoulders at the end of the game.
"You win," he declared as Tobias slapped down the last of his cards.
It was hard to say  whether or not the thief had been aware of Jazbel's and Cora's antics. Either way, his pleasure at his victory was not forged, and he gave an approving smirk as he rose from his seat, shoving the money into his pocket. At that moment, another thief approached them. He was stout man of Adelan decent with his black hair done in many braids. He grunted as his green eyes peered at Jazbel as he would a bug before giving Cora a knowing glance. He handed over a card to Tobias, who scanned its context with a scowl.

Jazbel tried to take a peek without making himself look too obvious, but it was to no good. He sighed as he slumped in the back of his chair, watching with a rather bored expression as Tobias snapped at the man to "Get going" before turning towards Cora.
"You," he barked, "Give him that 'tour', but make it quick."
"It's been a pleasure," Jazbel cheerfully said as he held out his hand to shake. Tobias merely arched a brow at this, clearly not used to his behavior.
"Quite," he slowly said before taking quick strides away towards the entrance.
Jazbel chuckled as he watched him go before he turned around to face his companion.
"What's in the east wing?" he curiously hissed.