Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Adventure.

Started by stelmarisa, April 12, 2012, 01:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

It was a crisp autumn day in La'marri, the trees just beginning to turn from green to brilliant shades of amber and crimson. Some of the driest leaves were already falling, swirling through the air on the slight breeze. By all accounts, it was a pretty scene. Peaceful, yet invigorating. And to a teenager, mildly boring.

Sisi Damal was sitting on a low wall, legs swinging, as she gazed critically at the scene before her. It was beautiful indeed, but she had seen so many of these beautiful scenes in her life, and today she had better things to be doing. Although by this point, it didn't look as if she'd be going anywhere. She was waiting just outside the village, where the farmer's cart had been due to pick her up an hour ago. He still hadn't turned up, and she was getting frustrated.

Now how would she get to town?

Helemaalleip

Damn it! He hated it when the hunting season was over and all of his traps were broken, three of them were repairable but these two were just... demolished. He had to get new ones, in order to do so he first had to get to the nearest town. Unfortunately, the nearest town wasn't so near at all, a two day ride by horse. So it was time to go packing.
The way to the city wasn't very dangerous but you did have to watch out you didn't get ambushed by a group of robbers, so David always kept a short sword and an axe with him when he went on a journey.
When he done packing, he got on his horse and rode away, through a narrow path with dense plants and trees on both sides. Some of the branches and leaves of the trees and plants stroked his head while he rode over the path with his horse, he liked the shortcut and took it often. The plants formed sort of a tunnel through the forest, it fascinated him how nature could form such a thing. As a child he always dared himself to walk through it when the sun and moon were down and it was almost completely dark except for the light of the stars that only just shone through the dense roof of leaves. One evening he suddenly stood eye to eye with a big wolf, his father had always told him that they were more afraid of you than you were of them, so with the adrenaline rushing through his body and shaking from top to toe he forced himself to stand still where he was. And he saw the wolf closing in on him, slowly and as he was nearly close enough that David could have bended over and touched the wolfs nose with his own, the wolf turn around and walked away. Since that day, he had never felt fear anymore, never.
While David was almost reliving the memory in his mind he almost got knocked of his horse by a large branch, he could have sworn that branch wasn't there yesterday! He was almost at the end of the tunnel and the sun shined through the leaves on his face, he felt the satisfactory warmth from the big yellow ball in the sky and hoped it wouldn't be raining any time soon.
As he rode onto the road at the end of the narrow path he saw on a distance a girl sitting on a low, stone wall, the sun shone on her brown hair, from a distance her hair looked just like chocolate. As he came closer he saw that she was - judging by her body language - a bit annoyed, or better said bored. But damn, who cares, she was beautiful, if he got her to ride with him the boring road to town would perhaps turn out to be not so boring after all.
If you're heading for the town and need a ride you can just climb on the back!' David said, with a big smile on his face.

I hope you don't mind about the sentence where I wrote she was looking a bit annoyed and bored, because you said she was, but not that looked so.

stelmarisa

Sisi was humming quietly to herself, the cheerful tune hiding her growing indignation. It looked as if the farmer would never turn up now, and she wouldn't be going to town until next month. It was frustrating - she had things to do, items to buy, and letters to receive. And she couldn't do any of these in her quiet little off-shoot village, where there were only two shops, no interesting ones, and certainly no post centre. Made glum by this thought, she kicked against the wall that she sat on, occasionally looking up at the sun.

Time was passing, and still no lift. She was about to give up when the steady clop of hooves caught her attention. She looked up eagerly, dark hair swinging over her shoulders as she moved to jump down from the wall. Seeing the horse and rider, however, stopped her. It wasn't the cart at all, just a horse, being ridden by a man... a man she didn't recognise. She frowned in disappointment and settled back onto the wall to wait.

That was when the man spoke to her. She looked up, considering his offer thoughtfully. "I'm headed for town," she nodded. "My ride hasn't turned up."

She stepped gracefully onto a bench that stood below her, bringing her more in line with the newcomer. It was lucky that today her dress fell only to her knees - any longer and it would have been impossible to ride. The bodice was fitted, but the skirt was flowing, giving her plenty of room to maneouver. She would be able to ride, alright, and she was about to step up when a thought stopped her.

"But who are you? And really, I'd prefer to ride in front, if it's all the same to you." She smiled sweetly, holding up a hand for him to help her up.

Helemaalleip

He took her hand and helped her on the horse gently 'There you go, mylady.' Not that he thought she was a noble descendant or so, if that were so he probably hadn't found her sitting on a stone wall, it was just a habit of him calling people like that when he helped them or did them a favor.
When she was finally properly seated he spurred the horse and answered her question, 'People often call me Mollhan, I have several nicknames though. But you can just call me David if you'd like.'
'Oh by the way, I don't have a lot of money, so I won't be able to rent a room in a tavern'
He had a place where he always camped when he headed for town, it was a pretty nice place. You could always find dry wood for a fire to cook on, it was on the beach near a little stream so there was always water and no lack of food because there was deer in abundance. He just hoped they could make it before sunset because the old horse he sat on wasn't used at carrying two people at once. But so far it went well.
He moved his head a little to the left, so he didn't have to enjoy having his nose in her hair. 'Have you ever rode a horse before? Or do you usually get to town by cart?'
'Now, who are you?' he asked friendly.

stelmarisa

"Thank you," Sisi stepped lightly up onto the horse's back, taking a few moments to settle herself and her skirts as David introduced himself. She entwined one hand into the horse's mane to aid her balance as they set off, and turned her head to smile at her new companion.
"Very well, then, David. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She wasn't terrible startled by his admission of being unable to rent a room - she rarely carried much money on her, either.

"Oh yes, I can ride. But I always go to town in the farmer's cart. I never rent a room in a tavern though, unless it is a special occasion. Normally we ride through the night, or sleep in a safe place by the road. I suppose you do the same?"

She paused, swaying with the motion as they made their way away from the village. "My name is Sisi." She turned again, a sweet smile on her lips.

Helemaalleip

'Sisi, that's a beautiful name, a pleasure to meet you here and now on this...' he tried to think of a suiting end of the sentence he just started but only then realized he was a poet nor a songwriter.   Finally after a second or two he concluded '...not very interesting location and ehm... Anyway, how old are you, Sisi?
Meanwhile spurred his horse to walk in a slow pace, while doing that all sorts of questions about the girl popped up into his mind. 'What business brings a girl like you to town?'
David, not really giving her any time to answer, then asked her what she did in daily live, if she had any family, what kind of clothing she liked and usually wore - first explained what motivated him to ask that question - before continuing his interrogation, and so he rattled on and on.
After a while he figured she might also need time to answer his questions, it'd probably be better if he stopped questioning the poor girl. Because she was faced forwards he couldn't see if she was annoyed or regretting getting on the horse 'Sorry, I'm a curious person to say the least.'
There was eventually a moment of silence there but...
'Do you know more curious people?'

(OoC: you know anything about horse riding terminology.)