Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Little Bits and Pieces (M)

Started by visualspice, November 29, 2012, 12:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The seas were hardly calm that night,  though it was hardly the rough weather that was to blame for the wreckage lay splayed across the rising waves. Sharp pieces of the ship's hulls protruded like a husk, while splintered remains dotted the unnerved sea.
It was night, and the sea was black, only glittered by the faint glow of twilight, just moments after the rumble of faded thunder parted the clouds.

It was on a night like this both sides of the skirmish might have been happy to have fallen pray to a moonless ocean- but at what costs? It appeared as if no one survived, especially not he ship, which, the main heart of both vessels in question had sunk deep below the ocean.

Blood had long since been washed away, but some oil that had spilled caught flame and flickered against the unhappy bobbing of the waves.  It was a lonely light, warm and fluttering helpless until it's life would eventually be burned out.  Yet, somewhere in the middle of it all, a wooden crate, a little over five feet in length, with it's lid nailed tightly shut, floated across the crest of a large wave and was gently carried away, appearing as meaningless and pathetic as the ship's remains.

OOC: Aaaaaaaaaaand... Paradox GO!
You can post now :P
and yes, I TOTALLY just posted as a random box (well, crate) in the sea.
BEHOLD MY POST ABOUT A BOX IN THE SEA! *wriggles fingers*
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

A lone fishing vessel approached the wreckage with caution. It's sole passenger stood out in the cold, his tattered grey cloak flapping behind him violently against the winds. The ship's occupant raised his hand to shield his eyes from the rainwater that descended upon him in relentless torrents. He felt his boat rock underneath him , pitching side to side each time a black wave crashed against the ship's hull.

Firelight had stirred his curiosity as well as his concern. Fire was rarely a good sign. The Serenian coast was plagued by all great manner of wave scourge. Nautical wars were not uncommon. Neither were ruins or corpses. However, wreckage could also be a boon to scavengers and thieves like him. The dead didn't need the things they left behind and out here, it was free to claim.Besides, was it really all that terrible to take from pirates? In the end, it didn't matter. If he could find something of value , then the stop would be worth it. Food, weapons, luxury items...sometimes he made quite beautiful discoveries. One such thing had been a full body length mirror made of solid gold and encrusted with jewels. Quite the small fortune he'd made for selling that through his usual dealers.

As the boat drew closer, the man caught a glimpse of a body-length box floating innocently along in the water seemingly untouched by whatever carnage had obliterated the ships. The man considered the possibilities. Was it a coffin for someone important? Nah. Pirates tended to cast bodies overboard. "Maybe there's a live person in there." The man joked, doubting it.  He watched for a few moments more, considering. The box was floating so whatever was in there, the contents must have been light. He looked around a little more, searching for anything else that might have been valuable. "Damn it. I'm too late, " He growled, " Well, I ain't leavin' empty handed!"

The mysterious box had drawn close enough to his vessel now. He leaned over and reached out, grasping the thing firmly with both hands, "Ha! I gotcha! Now just sit tight. " He told it and hurried away to prepare the fishing net.It took some time to get his new discovery on board, "Shit better be worth it, "He grunted as he untangled the newly acquired cargo. "Alright," He panted and bent over, resting his hands on his knees to catch his breath for a few moments, " Now tah get this baby open. Hrm..." He approached the box . Then, pressing his ear against the lid, he wrapped his knuckles against the wood thrice. "Yo! Anyone in there? "He laughed, but his amusement was cut short.

"Holy -!!! Holy shit!!?" The man gasped and stumbled back. He'd heard a sound coming from within. That was the last thing he'd been expecting. So shocked he was by this revelation that the sound had not quite registered. Human? Animal? It sounded like a sigh? A whimper? "What the hell?" He collected himself, but it was difficult to keep his calm. "What the hell is in there?" He stepped toward the box again. "Hey! Talkin' box or whatever. If yah got a person in ya, it'd be great if ya would say somethin'. "

He paused, listened. No response. He sighed, "Oh man. Oh man. Alright. Screw it!" He stomped off to his cabin to find something to pry the lid off with. Fortunately , he kept some tools around for ship repair. He returned with a hammer and made short work of the nails . With nothing left to keep him from finding out what the hell was inside this mysterious talking/crying/ whatever box thingy, the man yanked the lid off and got a look.

He dropped the lid, "Shit."

Inside that box, there was a girl. 

Ooc: I fail! Oh well! You have your post now! I hope you're happy! BECAUSE I BLED FOR YOU!!! And then my brain died. D;

visualspice

Eve didn't move.

Not at first...

She lay, pathetic and cradled inside a bed of pale, withering ivy.  She looked as pitiable as those decaying leaves, and perhaps as dead as them.  Her colors seemed muted, with her long locks of red hair, twisted and frayed throughout the rusted vines.  Even her body had been clothed in them, but when a wind rustled and broke away a few of the vines that draped off her face, she slowly opened her eyes.

But she couldn't see.  Her vision was bleary. Everything was so dark and confusing.  And it hurt...
SO much pain, so much agony, suffering and..

....and death.

She felt as though she might faint, the emotions so overwhelming it drained her of all of her energy as she let out a soft noise.

And her head was throbbing.

And the world...

the wind...

It swept through the leaves that blanketed her, and it was so bitter cold that she shivered and closed her eyes tighter, forcing her arms to hug around herself. But in doing so, the decaying vines broke, crumbling away from her skin, and the moment they lost contact she gasped, her eyes opening, but then closing again as the vines lost all color...

and dried up.... and died.

Shivering, her breath began to slow before she slowly faded away and lay unmoving beneath the dead ivy, seeming to be as dead as they.

OOC: Phshhhhhhhhhh.  But aren't you glad you replied? You get to play with the girl in the box!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

The shock was difficult to shake off. He could hardly wrap his mind around the situation. He's seen some strange things in his life since he'd ventured out further than his homeland. Kouhei was possibly, in comparison with the rest of the world, a rather peculiar place. It was a place of humans , a place where magic was extremely rare and where mythical creatures were little more than whispered legend. No one ever believed him when he'd returned home with stories about elves and magic.

However, this was something different. He'd never seen anything like it before. He watched the vines with a cautious eye. Their movements made him nervous. Plants didn't move like that where he came from. Or maybe his eyes deceived him? Were they snakes? Man, how he hated snakes! He shook his head, chiding himself quietly. Nah. Maybe he was just seeing things. Lack of light tended to play optical illusions, right? Right? Maybe...

There were so many questions burning in his mind then. When she opened her eyes , he held his breath for a moment but then knelt down. She wouldn't be able to see much of him for darkness and his cloak concealed the majority of his features. " What are you doin' in there?"

She didn't answer him, but he noted her shivering. She brought her arms up around her body and hugged herself. In fear , in cold? Perhaps both. "Yer freezin', huh? I gotta getcha..."

She went still, "Hey!" The man cried out in alarm. He scooped her up into his arms and carried her to his cabin without another thought and laid her down on his bed. He tucked her in under the blanket and sheet and stood back, wondering what else he could possibly do for her.

Hundreds of questions assaulted his mind and he began to pace the room a little. Who was she? Why was she there? What was up with the plants? How long had she been in that box? Where was she from? Was she warm enough? Would she be okay? Was she sick? What was he going to do with her?

"Man, why couldn't ya be treasure or somethin'?" Sighing, the man leaned against the wall opposite to the bed and collected his thoughts again for a few moments. "Huh..maybe I should check for a fever? " He walked over to the bed, leaned over her and felt her forehead. "Kei's better with this kinda shit than me..." He grumbled.   

ooc:What the heck?! You make it sound perverted! D:<

visualspice

The moment his arms wrapped around her body and she felt herself pulled from the decay, it broke the final bonds and she remained still without it.

Though it was quiet.

Everything seemed quiet.

But somehow, Eve knew she'd be ok.

Her body had been cold, so he would't find a fever when he felt for it, but the connection, feeling the gentle touch roused her and slowly, she opened her green eyes.

It was bleary at first, and she felt incredibly weak and tired, but upon seeing a man over her she slowly blinked and her vision began to come around.  It was only then she realized she didn't know him, or where she was and gasped in alarm. Drawing away, she hugged the blanket protectively around her body as she trembled in fear, pressing her back up against the wall in his room.

"Please don't hurt me," her voice begged, her eyes brewing with tears.

That's all she could remember in that moment.

The fear...
The pain...
So much suffering...

The calls had been so desperate, so agonizing..... so haunting.

THen she broke, and Eve began to sob, hugging her knees to her chest as her worn boots hung out beneath the blanket that covered her, barely keeping her warm, though it was better than the thin, white clothe dress she wore, now dirty from the dead leaves...
.. and the sea.

Paradox

The man withdrew his hand, tentatively. She couldn't see the bewildered expression that now crossed his features. "Whaddyah talkin' 'bout?" He wrinkled his nose at her and his lips drew in a hard line. Those two features were the only thing she might have been able to see and the only thing she might have been able to conclude with certainty was this man was probably young. "I just saved ya from driftin' off into the ocean, lady. What's with the frightened little girl act, huh?" He sounded irritated with her. Really? What kind of thank you was THAT? Weren't girls supposed to get all doe-eyed and thank him with a kiss? Yeah.

"Sheesh. Ya know, I take a risk tah come out here lookin' for somethin' valuable and I find YOU instead! No jewels, no gold, no weapons or food. So a little thank you would be nice, ya know? " He ranted at her.

He knew he was in the wrong before she gasped and backed away from him, but it wasn't until she broke down into tears that he felt like a complete asshole. "I'm sorry. Just came out. I...er..didn't mean it. Don't cry. Please. I'm real sorry fer bein' a ass."

He spread his hands out before him, showing he was unarmed. Whether she chose to look at him or not was her choice. "I dunno whatcha been through, but I promise I won't treat ya bad like them pirates did. " Then  , under his breath he added, " hope there ain't any lurkin' 'round."

visualspice

She could barely see the gentleman through her tears, or really hear what he had to say as sobs wracked her body.  And when he gestured, trying to show her that he was unarmed, she flinched suddenly, giving a cry and buried her face into her knees.

"Please, just kill me quickly," Eve begged, shivering as she was still tremendously overwhelmed by her own emotions.  Just as the vines had died away, she felt hollowed and rusted as a coming winter.  "I don't care about anything anymore."

Paradox

Her request caught him off guard. He stared at her , his mouth hanging slightly ajar and his mind somewhat numb. What was a man to say to that? Did she really mean that? Or maybe she wasn't convinced that he wasn't a bad guy. He tried to imagine what she might have suffered, but he couldn't know.

He lowered his hood,  " I don't kill people. I kill fish." He said lamely. "Er...I mean I'm a fisherman. " He left out the part about being a thief, a scavenger, a smuggler. She didn't need to know that he was a criminal of sorts. She'd probably freak out more, if that was even possible.

"Ya don't mean that. S'probably just a fever talkin', " he assured her, "yer skin was so cold. Colder 'n mine, even and I'm freezin' my coc- er. Ya wait there. Ya must be hungry, huh? I got some food here somewhere. " He left her there for a moment and returned with some sun-dried fish and a bottle of liquor. " Ain't much but it's all I got til I make port. I wasn't plannin' on a guest. Go on. Help yerself. I ate earlier anyways. "   

visualspice

Things were so overwhelming, but after a moment, as the man continued to speak, she curiously lifted her head from her knees and saw his face for the first time.  He wasn't a man, but a boy, about her age, maybe a little older.  She didn't recognize him, which only lowered her guard slightly, but he hadn't raised a knife to kill her off her try to harm her.

He was speaking.  Though, she wished she had listened, but there was too much for her to remember but it all began to fade away when she smelled fish.  And realized the room smelled of it, not just because of what sort of vessel it was, but because that's what he held out to her.

Liquor and Fish.
Blinking, a few remaining tears trailed down her cheeks as she brushed them away on the backs of her dirty sleeve.  She felt empty, and wasn't sure if she could eat, if that's what he proposed.  So Eve merely stared at it and said nothing.

Paradox

He tried not to feel frustrated with her. She must have had it rough. He'd had it rough once. He knew he shouldn't judge her. She seemed to have a delicate personality. Girls usually did in his experience.

"I don't got no silverware or nothin' for ya to eat it with. But I picked the bones out. Salted 'em some. Ain't bad. Unless ya hate fish, but heh. I can't help ya out with that. "  He pressed the fish into her hands and set the bottle down on the desk near his bed within her reach.  "I ain't gonna shove this food down yer throat even if I think ya should eat.  I'm tellin' ya, I ain't tryin' to kill ya. I mean...would be kinda silly to pull ya outta the water and then off ya. Makes no sense, right?" He nodded. It made sense in his mind. He folded his arms over his chest, " I know yer cold still ,but I don't got nothin' else to give ya. I can't warm ya up or nothin'. I'm soaked, ya know? And ya don't look like ya would be too comfortable with that."

He waved a hand dismissively, "Yer shaken. Dunno what happened to ya , but bein' in a box ain't no picnic, I take it. I'm gonna give ya some space. You eat, rest , whatever. I got some business with navigatin' a boat and all. Don't got a crew tah do it for me. " He started out the door and paused in the doorway, "Ya gotta name, box girl? "

ooc: xD So rude. But he tries not to be! *flails* 

visualspice

When he talked, this time she tried to listen, but quickly down cast her eyes at the things he had offered to her.  And still, she said nothing as she listened and stared at her feet, gently resting her cheek against her knees.  It was only beginning to be apparent to her that he had no connection to whatever happened before she was hauled on board his ship.  She wasn't one to be disrespectful, and he seemed nice enough, but she was too exhausted to move as her eye lashes lowered over her eyes.

"Thank you." She said, and after a moment she replied with her name.

"Eve." she said quietly, not lifting her gaze. "My name is Eve."

Paradox

"Eve...huh. Sounds foreign," Most guys might have said something nicer and far more cliche. Leave it to a manner-less twit like Zavimaat to say something the opposite of charming. "Well, of course it is. I ain't anywhere near home. Eh. Whatever. Anyways, nice tah meetcha, Eve. I'm Zavimaat." He looked back at her over his shoulder, " Ya should stay in here. It's pretty nasty outside. I won't bother ya much. I'll come back and check on ya when I can."

He pulled his hood up over his head and left her alone in the cabin, closing the door behind him.

ooc: If you can't work with this....I AM DISAPPOINT!

visualspice

Soon after Zavimaat had left her, she drifted off to slumber, to uneasy dreams, to uneasy rest; but despite the nightmares, she still slept onward, her body recovering from the terrifying events that transpired barely a day ago.

When she awoke, she was surprised and frightened to realize she could not remember where she was.  A dizzyness swept over her, and hunger too.  Though despite the food offered to her, she rose from the bed, clutching the bedsheet tight against her body and moved over towards the closed door.  Hesitating, she finally opened it and moved towards the deck of the ship.

The morning was beautiful. The ocean was calm as the sun began to rise over the horizon, melting the skies with a warm array of colors.  The breeze, though still cold from the night, caught against the sheet and ruffled it, as well as pulled upon her skirts beneath as she looked around at her new haven.  She wasn't sure how to put it, but for some reason, she felt calm. 

Part of her wondered if she was dead. Part of her wondered if she was truly alive after all that had happened. Part of her wondered if she could forget....

But the voices...

It was the first time she couldn't hear their screams and almost felt herself smile.

Peace.  How long had it had it been since her mind had been this clear?
Yes, perhaps... she was dead after all?

Paradox

Night gave way to morning. The sun rose, Eve rose, even the birds rose...but not Zavimaat. Eve might have heard his loud snores, might have noticed the young man leaning over his desk with his head resting atop worn, yellowed parchment. A closer look would reveal a map of the world , its location names written in a foreign language.

It would be late morning when he woke. He lifted his head and wiped a trail of drool from his chin. After a big yawn and an arm stretch, he rose from his chair and looked around the cabin, scratching his head. He was alone. Had he been dreaming before about the girl? He had a pretty active imagination  , always dreaming about saving cute little damsels in distress and getting laid. Too bad it never happened in the waking world...

"Eh?" He noticed his bed looked tidier than usual. He NEVER made his bed except for when Aunt Kazumi nagged him about it. Women.... "Maybe it was that girl. Er..." Had she told him her name? He had to think about it for a moment. Right. Eve. That was her name.  He also noted that the food he'd offered her remained untouched and sighed.

"Where'd she go? " He left the cabin though not before snatching up the bottle of liquor on his way out.

The sun nearly blinded him and he cursed in his native tongue as he lifted his arm to shield his eyes. He'd slept in when he hadn't intended to. He stumbled around the deck, groggily until he found her. Any beauty and calm that she might have found in the day was completely lost on him. He looked at her through bleary eyes and shook his head, " Mornin'."

A long silence passed between them. Zavimaat was not a morning person, " Er...how ya doin'?" That seemed like a decent conversation starter to him.

visualspice

Eve, finding herself alone for many an hour, took the time to stroll about the deck in silent wonder.  When things were dirty, she found herself tidying them up,  but found herself constantly distraction as she was ever enchanted by the endlessness of the ocean.
To her, it appeared as infinite and alien as the sky.

Though as time passed, she witnessed a formation of a group of most foreboding clouds, which made the air become tense, when it had once welcomed her with it's calming warmth.  Though it was still sunny, and the clouds seemed to remained brewing over the horizon, a cold wind began to blow, ruffling her gown.

It was at this moment that she heard a voice behind her and spun around, gasping in surprise and causing her to knock over a pile of nearby equipment.  Flinching, she stepped away from it and backed herself against the side of the boat defensively, bracing herself for him to strike.

Paradox

Zav made a funny face at the girl. He'd never met anyone so anxious and timid. Those pirates must have given the poor girl hell. She was wincing like a frightened and abused animal.   "Relax. It's just me." He adjusted his tone a bit, not sounding quite as abrasive as his manner usually dictated. He didn't move closer to her, "Heh. Sorry if I scared ya. Just noticed ya wasn't in the cabin and wondered what ya were up to. " He turned away from her for a moment to look beyond to the sea. "Well, the weather looks clear. " He licked a dirty finger and held it up, testing the breeze. "Got a nice southern wind blowin'. Think it'll be good to put them sails back up. " He turned his head to look over his shoulder and grin at her. His expression might have seemed a bit more intimidating than friendly to anyone whom wasn't familiar with his type of personality, " Dunno 'bout you , but I ain't in the mood to entertain pirates. After I get some grub..."

He shrugged his shoulders and yawned again , " You musta been the one who cleaned up my mess. " He almost sounded like he was accusing her, but he shook his head and corrected his tone. "I mean, er...thanks. I guess." He went awkwardly silent for a moment, considering what to say to her next. He was still wondering what to do with her. "So uh...Eve. I was thinkin'- well, er...more like wonderin' uh...you were in a box and uh...why?"

ooc: xD He will invent a cure to idiocy one day.  I am sure of it!

visualspice

She remained cowering, and even after he did not strike her, she remained timid, her lips baring a pout as she kept herself pressed against the side.  When he mentioned the winds, Eve dropped her eyes and looked down at her feet, and when he asked her more questions, her silence remained.

But thinking back to that fateful night, she began to recall the terrors, the screams, then the wooden box lid sealing shut.  Before she knew it, her vision blurred as hot tears began to stream down her face, her body trembling, her back, now braced against the side of the boat, being the only support keeping her from collapsing to the ground.

Paradox

Shit. I'm makin' her cry again. What the hell did I say wrong?  Zav held up his hands, " Sorry. I was jus' - I didn't mean tah make ya upset. We don't gotta talk 'bout that if ya don't wanna, okay? I can change the subject. Er..." He tried to think of something else. " I was on my way to Serendipity to drop somethin' off. I can take ya there and you can find your family or your boyfriend or uh...whatever."

He wasn't sure where she was from but she didn't seem to want to talk about it. He wasn't going to bother her too much about that until later. If she was stubborn, he'd just have to leave her in Serendipity. He couldn't afford to play Mister Hero and escort her back to wherever the heck it was that she was from nor could he offer her to return to Kouhei with him. Outsiders weren't welcome in his country.

At that moment his stomach protested loudly ,  " Man, I'm hungry. What 'bout you? " He looked at her , frowning slightly. "I noticed ya didn't eat nothin'. Not good, ya know? No 'fense, but ya look pretty skinny. Lose any more weight an' the wind'll probably blow ya away." 

visualspice

Eve only shook her head, still crying, still trembling as he asked her questions. She had no one. No family or home she would want to return to, and now she found herself completely lost and utterly helpless.  Her future felt grim, for there was nothing for her to foresee, and she continued crying until his stomach rumbled loudly, which made her choke on a sob.  Blinking, she curiously turned to him at his offer of food.

She? She was too anxious to be hungry, though she knew her body needed it because she felt light-headed and weaker than normal, but instead of giving him an answer she did not know, she merely stared at him as the winds brushed her red hair away from her face.

Paradox

" Not much of a talker, huh? That's weird. Most girls like to talk a lot. Can't get 'em to shut up." He chuckled and then shrugged, "Alright, well I'm gonna eat. Yer welcome to join me. Or not. Yer not a child and I ain't yer daddy so I'll leave that choice up to you." He  left her alone on the deck and returned to his cabin to retrieve the fish he'd offered her the night before.

There was no formalities when dining with Zav. He sat on his bed and wolfed down the pair of sun dried fish in a matter of minutes. Surprisingly, he wasn't a mess when he was finished. A hungry man did not let a meal go to waste afterall. He took a swig from the liquor bottle and belched.

He considered Eve's reactions to him , wondering if his offer to leave her in Serendipity was for the best. What if she had no place to go? Maybe she'd been on ship from some other land  that was besieged by pirates. Maybe they'd killed her family? She could be all alone. That would be terrible. But maybe he was wrong. Maybe she'd just been kidnapped and she wasn't talking to him because she was afraid of him and didn't trust him. "Even if I did save her life. " He sighed and took another swallow of his drink. "Wonder what Gramps would think 'bout this? Uh...he'd probably do better 'n me. Damn it...." He hung his head , closed his eyes and tried to think. "We go to Serendipity and she'll find what she's lookin' for or someone who can help her out." He muttered to himself. "That's the right thing to do, isn't it? But where would I find someone who'd do that?  "